Moderator: Tabs

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Catholic Mission

Post by Cearlan »

Henry Renwick
"If we are assuming that Chee sent this letter then, possibly to the assassin, could the assassin not have played one off against the other and sold out to the Japanese for some reason. Could the officer have been right then and that the Doctor planned to have a person or some people killed which, if they were Japanese sympathisers as you suggest, then that might explain the involvement of the soldiers, and their desire to <cough> eliminate any witnesses. Perhaps because of the over-enthusiastic way in which the assassin went about his business meant that we were all witnesses, especially as we lodged very vocal complaints about the goings-on in the restaurant. As you say, this is very complex and I think we are in danger of seeing phantoms where none may exist. My former mentor, Dr Black always said that the simplest answer is normally the right answer."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Um..." says Elisabeth, "Chunhua was not Dr. Chee's daughter." The red flush in her cheeks makes it apparent exactly what their actual relationship was.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Oh." Realising what Elizabeth has just said, Santiago keeps his eyes down so not to catch her glance and wonders why he suddenly feels rather warm. He frowns, trying to concentrate and thinks back to the evening; he finally shakes his head. "What a country." He says. "Well, whatever happened then, let's decide what we are to do now."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Elisabeth said: Please, go on, Professor."
"I need to apply my tired old brain some more, Miss Grey," says Prof. Pavlov.
Santiago said: What happened to the assassin? I never saw him afterwards."
"He was blown-up by his own hand grenade!" exclaims Prof. Eichelstein; "the live one you picked up, Señor, and threw back out the door of the mill."

"Sacré bleu!" mutters Father Pierrepont.
Santiago said: were you invited to the party or did you just happen to be at the railway station
The consensus round the table is that no one was invited by name. "An impromptu selection then," says Mr. Grey. "I feel a little put out that I wasn't a 'chosen' one, like Tatsuo's mother."

Posie, frowning, is very confused. "Don't be unhappy, Elisabeth's daddy, the bartender and the lady in charge of the gaming tables didn't receive a badge either."

"She's right, you know," says Prof. Eichelstein; "Li and Mae were already inside the Golden Pumpkin, so they never received a raffle token."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Tatsuo pauses in between mouthfuls and says to Dr. Renwick: "This Dr. Black is a sensible man," and then continues eating.
Elisabeth said: "Chunhua was not Dr. Chee's daughter.
"I say!" says Mr. Grey.

"Father asked me to pretend she was my sister," says Mingzhu; "he said that foreigners wouldn't understand."
Santiago said: let's decide what we are to do now."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Friend Tatsuo, I'm afraid Dr Black is no longer with us as he died last year, but you are right ... he was a very sensible man indeed. In fact another thing he used to say, which I already lived by is that you need hard facts before you can declare anything, for good or ill. But we don't have the right facts, or do not recognise them as such yet. The final part of his saying was that sometimes you have to go out on a limb and go with your gut instinct as more often than not that is the true way." I pause for some gravitas. "My instincts tells me that the soldiers will be marshalling what forces they may have more towards Peking as they would be expecting us to head that way, so my vote is that we head in the opposite direction. I cannot give a more cogent reason than gut instinct, and I hate guesswork, but as I said, sometimes you have to go out on a limb. We got this far I believe because they underestimated us, something I do not believe we can rely on again."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, my!" says Elisabeth, her eyes wide with wonder, when she hears Professor Eichelstein talk about Santiago throwing back the live grenade. "That was so brave!" As the others continue speaking, she remembers something. "I had a strange dream last night about Chunhua when I fell asleep in the bath. She told me to give her my hand, and I did. Then she said I must go to a Confucian temple, a cave carved out of basalt beneath the dunes outside of Khotan, Sinkiang. I've never heard of Khotan before, so it's odd that I'd dream about it. Then she said the fat man is coming." She glances at Tatsuo. "And so he did. You're right that they'd expect us to head for Peking, Doctor. I came to the same conclusion last night."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago almost drops his tea cup, but recovers swiftly. "A temple? Really? How strange." He quickly finishes the tea, thinking hard.

"It's only a dream, but what a coincidence! And no stranger than anything else that's happened since I got here. Maybe it's fate, and I just got the translation wrong or maybe it will be a wild goose chase. Ha, change that for cougar!"

Aloud, he says,"I agree about not heading to Peking. Senor Grey, is there somewhere in the opposite direction we can head for? I'm afraid my knowledge of Chinese geography is non existent as I only arrived a few days ago." Although it feels like much longer! He thinks. "I certainly haven't heard of Khotan either. Or Sinkiang, for that matter. Where are they?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Samuel Grey thinks on the risk to his daughter of returning to Peking; he answers Santiago: "Maybe it would be wise to leave the country. Hong Kong is British, and it's far away from here on the south coast; go there?

"I will return to Peking, and see that justice is done!"

Prof. Eichelstein eagerly announces: "In that case, myself and Professor Pavlov should come too, to corroborate our story."

Samuel Grey continues: "Elisabeth and the child and"--he hesitates--"Señor el Aguila, can travel as a family, with Doctor Renwick as a friend?"

"You'll need someone who speaks the language," says Mingzhu; "and there's nothing for me here now; please, Elisabeth, take me with you!"

"As for Khotan," says Father Anselm, "it is in Central Asia--- Let me find a map."

"Khotan is over there," says Father Anselm, pointing to the west of China.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, I see it," says Elisabeth. "I knew that Sinkiang was in western China, and that it has a reputation as a very dangerous place. In fact, isn't that where Peter Fleming and Ella Maillart are heading? They'd never expect us to go there, but it's hardly safe. Those are excellent suggestions, Father! Hong Kong sounds like a great destination. But it would be dangerous for you to head to Peking. Perhaps you should have my disc, so that they might spare your life." She gives a sly grin to Posie, Mingzhu, and Santiago. "I like the idea of us being a family, and of course you can join us as a guide and interpreter, Mingzhu. Well, Señor el Aguila, are we to be married? You already have my father's blessing. Posie, how would you like us to be your mummy and daddy?" I could get used to this, she thinks. Maybe when this is all over, we could even be a family for real! The thought makes her giddy and nervous, but she tries to hide it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago is used to big distances but even he is impressed by the enormity of China - and the distance to Kortan. He pours over the map and is dismayed to see that Hong Kong is nowhere near Sinkiang. He looks to his friend, Henry, for unspoken advice and then says to Mr. Grey,

"Although it would be the greatest of honours to accompany your beautiful and brave daughter and to travel as her husband..." He bows to Elizabeth, and wonders what he may lose by saying this,"along with young Posie and Senorita Mingzu, but I'm afraid I will not be going to Hong Kong."

He sighs, "This may seem mad but I plan to go to Kortan. In the footsteps of Peter Fleming and Ella Maillart, as you say. It is a long story but Kortan may hold the answers I am looking for and the reason for me coming to China." He looks first at Henry and then at Elizabeth,"I cannot ask either of you to come with me if Sinkiang is as dangerous as Elizabeth says; Hong Kong is surely the safer place to go."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"The best laid plans," remarks Prof. Pavlov.

Samuel Grey shrugs: "Of course, the Señor can do as he pleases."

"Here is another, simpler map," says Father Anselm.

[ooc: Ignore the red line--the actual route taken by Fleming and Maillart.]

"The train track goes to Chengchow," continues Father Anselm, "and then splits, south to Hong Kong and west to Sian. After Sian, Señor el Aguila, will have to travel by road and camel."

"And what about me? . . . And mother?" asks Tatsuo.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I cough politely, "Thank you Father, these are useful as they show the full scale of the task we are thinking of undertaking. Senor el Aguila, I think after all we have experienced together that it would be ungentlemanly of me to abandon you at this stage, especially as your 'family' will be coming along as well. The proper authorities must be made aware of what has happened, whatever it was and for this perhaps Hong Kong may prove better than Peking as it is still an outpost of the Empire."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"In my dream, Chunhua told me that I must go to this temple too," says Elisabeth. "I don't understand this, but it was more than just a dream. If it were the feverish imaginings of my own mind, how could I possibly hear of a town which I have no knowledge of? Yet Khotan really exists, right there on the map. I can't explain it either, but I think I'm meant to go there. So we can still go together. If Ella Maillart can do it, so can I. In any event, we'd be going to Chengchow first, regardless of our destination."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago is almost lost for words, "Ellos son ricos que tienen amigos de confianza." He says to himself in quiet wonder. "Thank you Henry, it wouldn't have been the same without you." He gets up and shakes Renwick's hand in true British tradition. "Just warn me the next time you decide to ambush an armed soldier with nothing but your wits." Then he goes to Elisabeth and, with more Spanish flair, takes her hand and bows, "And Elisabeth. Thank you." He says with an enigmatic look in his eyes and a gentle smile. "I'm exactly the same about Khotan; it's totally crazy but I have to go there. I'm glad you feel the same."

"Senor Tatsao, I would consider it a great honour if you would consent to travelling with us, at least as far as chengchow." He sits back down next to Henry and whispers, "Although he is easy to spot and too big to disguise. Plus there's his awful mother to contend with." But he is keen that the Tatsao should join them, not only to preserve the conditions of Chunhua's predictions: he is becoming fond of the big Japanese man and his curt statements.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I look quizzically at Santiago, not understanding what he muttered under his breath and am pleasantly surprised when he stands to shake my hand, which of course I accept with relish. "Ah that little episode ... I'm afraid if I had a few more of my wits about me then I would not have acted in such a manner I am sure, I would probably been back in old Blighty tending my garden. Instead I am here with as fine a bunch of people I could ever hope to be acquainted with. As Santiago turns and speaks to Elisabeth I retake my seat and look once more at the vast distance between here and Khotan and I shake my head with the sheer scale of the country. 'I certainly have seen maps of it before, but now that I have to traverse the length of it, it brings it all home to me as opposed to an abstract size when looking in an atlas.' I muse

When Santiago sits next to me and tells me he would be easy to spot and hard to hide ... I know straight away he is referring to Tatsao and Arashi. "Yes Tatsao, it just would not be the same without you on the way. You do not say a lot but what you do say is valuable and straight to the point. I like that in a man - no hidden agendas."

Leaning towards Santiago I playfully whisper to him wearing my best poker face. "Arashi told me that she is looking for a new husband and has set her sights on you my friend ... I just thought you had better be aware. Have you not seen the way she looks at you? Forewarned is forearmed and all that!"

Henry's persuade on Santiago / 20% (1d100=94)

Try as I might I cannot keep my face straight at the prospect though. 'Perhaps this is why I am no good at poker!' I think to myself
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Father Anselm points out: "I doubt the Chinese authorities will allow---"

Samuel Grey interrupts: "I will be relieved if you all journey together to Chengchow, at least.

"I am determined to stay in Peking. Your raffle token, my dear Elisabeth, will be a protective talisman for me!"

"Hai!" beams Tatsuo, "it is my wish to stay with you all."

"You will need supplies, and weapons I suppose," says Father Pierrepont.

"Father kept monies--Mexican silver dollars--in a safe, back at the Golden Pumpkin . . ." says Mingzhu.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth takes off her token and attaches it to her father's shoulder, then embraces him. "Take care of yourself, Father," she says. "I shall miss you. I don't like being separated from you, but I know we'll meet again. I suppose we both knew this day would come. I was bound to get married eventually. But my new husband will look after me and protect me." She smiles at Santiago. "The money would be useful on our journey, but it would be risky going after it. Whoever does would need to wear the tokens, but even that is no guarantee of safety."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago looks horrified for a split second and then chokes. "Gods Henry. You almost had me there. Imagine!" He thinks, shudders and then grins, "But I might not be available one day --- you, however--- just let me know and I'll put in a good word for you." He claps Renwick on the back, very pleased to see his friend back to his old self.

"Senor Grey, we will endeavour to send messages to let you know how we fair. Perhaps you can do the same from Peking to somewhere in Chengchow. After that, it may be too difficult."

"Are we to return to the station by the Golden Pumpkin to pick up the train, in which case we can pick up any bags we left there and Mingzhu's money - which we'll need for bribes at least - or is it too risky, in which case, Father, where is the next station? And yes, if we may, some basic supplies would be helpful.

"Tatsao, Senora Arashi, she is still sleeping after yesterday? She must be woken as I suggest, everybody, that we move within the hour; who knows when a stray Japanese scout may arrive. I'm going to look over any weapons we have and give them a strip down after last night's mud." With that, he gets up, collects the guns and takes them out to the yard for cleaning.
ooc,Cearlan - you rotter! Can you imagine what Santiago, as an honourable fellow, would have had to do had your roll passed? Talk about taking risks! :) Made me laugh out loud.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

My brow furrows at the mention of the Mexican silver dollars at the bar and thinks 'Perhaps we could call in at the dig site to see if there is anything I could salvage to bring along' and I say out loud. "If we go by the dig site, which is only slightly out of our way, I could see if there is anything that could be of use, firearms for example. I may not be able to furnish everyone with guns, but I think I could possibly get my hands on two or three with some ammunition, as well as the rest of my belongings suitable for a trek, such as I have and my medical equipment, antibiotics and so forth."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Archive”