Catholic Mission

Moderator: Tabs

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Catholic Mission

Post by aine »

spot hidden,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4232665/]1d100=59[/url] (65%)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Santiago,Tatsuo's red cheek has the faint imprint of a hand--palm and fingers.
Samuel Grey says to Elisabeth: "It's nearly time to part, my dear. I am sure that it will be safer for you to get as far away from Peking as possible; and I am glad you are traveling with Señor‎ el Aguila and Dr. Renwick."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Father," says Elisabeth. "I'm glad of it too. I know I can count on them to protect me. I shall miss you terribly, and I wish you a safe trip back to Peking."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Dr. Renwick pulls up a chair, and sits beside Elisabeth and Posie.

"Thank you, Elisabeth," says Samuel Grey. He continues: "Father Anselm tells me that at the next village down the line, about five miles away, the Peking-Hankow Express stops for water. Father Pierrepont will drive there in the truck, taking Elisabeth, Posie, Dr. Renwick, Señor‎ el Aguila and Chee Mingzhu; they will journey on to Chengchow--the next city stop."

"And Tatsuo?" asks Dr. Renwick.

The fat man stands, scraping his chair on the stone floor as he does so.

"Now that mother has passed on," says Tatsuo, "I will carry her ashes home to Osaka."

Father Anselm shifts his weight from one foot to the other.

"We have agreed to a cremation." Father Anselm adds quickly: "Outside of the mission's consecrated ground."

"Quite so," mutters Prof. Eichelstein.

Samuel Grey says: "As soon as Father Pierrepont returns to the Mission, he will transport myself, the Professors, Li and Mae to Peking. I shall notify Sir Alexander Cadogan immediately, and ensure that the full weight of British justice is brought to bear on the atrocity that we have had the misfortune to be a part of."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago stares hard at Tatsao. He goes to say something to the big man sitting forlornly at the table, and then merely nods. He frowns, thinking.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm certain the two of you will make sure that those responsible are held to account," says Elisabeth. "What about the Kolchaks? They're not coming with us? Are they staying here?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mrs. Kolchak straightens her slumped posture. "We will stay here, until the Admiral is well enough to move to Peking." She says to Elisabeth: "Miss Grey, we shall send a message to Prof. Pavlov's friend---"

"Mr. Norrin at Cheng Kung University Hospital in Chengchow," says Prof. Pavlov.

"---and let you know of the Admiral's progress."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Elisabeth. "I hope and pray his condition improves. If you're staying here, you'll be in great danger. The Japanese are sure to come here sooner or later. You should both wear those tokens at all times." She wrings her hands. "There is something you could do for us, but I hesitate to request it. It is truly asking a lot."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Please, tell me what it is," says Mrs. Kolchak.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well..." says Elisabeth. "As you know, Santiago and I are going to pretend to be husband and wife during our travels, but we don't have wedding rings, and anyone that notices that we don't will see through our charade. It would help us if we could borrow yours and your husband's, but I'll understand if you refuse. If you do lend them to us, we can return them to you as soon as we get back to Peking."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mrs. Kolchak laughs merrily, almost hysterically. "Sorry, but it feels like I haven't been happy for a long, long time. Of course you can, Miss Grey; it will be a strange kind of honour to know that a young lady has use of my wedding ring." She adds: "The Admiral and I don't have any children."

"Everybody, time is pressing if you wish to catch the Peking-Hankow Express," says Samuel Grey; "any more questions?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"No, but I'd like a quiet word with Tatsao before we leave." says Santiago. "Isn't it only necessary for a lady to wear a ring? I'd feel awkward wearing the admiral's." He walks over to Tatsao and sits down next to him with his back to everyone else. He speaks in a low voice,
Tatsao,[color=#0000BF]"Tatsao, old friend. I'm so sorry that your mother has passed away. She was a woman of great...spirit. I suppose you will stay here and then travel to Osaka via Peking? I wish you were coming with us. Forgive me for asking, and I mean no sleight upon your honour, but it seems you have a lady's imprint across your face - what has happened, Tatsao?"[/color]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Tatsuo answers:
Santiago,"Oh, that!" he touches his cheek. "It was the Chinese girl, Mae, she--er--she misinterpreted a gesture of mine." He smiles weakly.

[ooc: Tatsuo's future with the party--see "ooc" topic.]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you very much, Mrs. Kolchak," says Elisabeth. "This means a lot to me." She smiles at her father and then at Posie. "Do you have any last minute, um, parenting advice for me, Father?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

"I am sure that Posie will behave well enough as we are all going to be one big family from here on in." Renwick tries to look sternly over his glasses at Posie but the innocent smile on her face made him laugh out loud. "We will be fine enough, but I do caution you Mrs Kolchak to be prepared to hide in case the Japanese should come calling. Are there any places suitable for her Father?"
Last edited by Cearlan on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"'Parenting advice'?" Samuel Grey frowns in thought. "There isn't anything I need tell you, Elisabeth."

"Oh, yes, Dr. Renwick, I'll be as good as gold," says Posie very seriously at first, but smiling too when the Doctor laughs.

Father Anselm says: "We don't have a priest-hole, like the ones in England, however, there is the attic? . . ."

Prof. Pavlov approaches Elisabeth and gives her a gentle peck on one cheek. "Best wishes, Miss Grey." He then shakes the hands of Santiago and Dr. Renwick, bows, most formally, to Posie, and nods to Mingzhu.

Father Pierrepont picks-up the food parcel and carries it out to the truck.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

I go to check on Admiral Kolchak one last time and to say fare-thee-well to my by now close friend. Knocking on the ward door before entering I see Kolchak lying there awake.

"Well my good friend, we are leaving for the interior now and I just thought I'd check in on you, to see how you are doing and all, you understand old man!" After checking the Russians dressings and vital signs are alright my resolve fails and I grab the big Russian in a hug and say to him. "I am so sorry that our time together was all to brief my friend. I feel that we are great friends already and who knows where our friendship may have led us together. Take the greatest of care my friend, both of yourself and your wife, and I hope we get to meet again once this is over." Releasing Kolchak his reserve slams shut like a door in a gale and his English-ness returns once more. "I believe you say do svidaniya in these situations." I turn on my heel and exit the ward so that he cannot see how upset I am, yes because we are leaving him behind, but mainly because I nearly cost him his life.

I give last minute instructions to the already capable staff there and make my goodbyes to the residents of the mission, Tatsuo, Pavlov, Grey and Echelstein.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

The quiet chat is disturbed as Santiago breaks into loud laughter as he sits listening to Tatsao. "Well, my friend, congratulations on trying anyhow. I'll miss you, big man. Take care of yourself and maybe we'll meet again." He claps Tatsao on the shoulder and stands up. "Let's be off. I'll just say farewell to Kolchak and then I'll meet you by the truck." He shakes hands with Samuel Grey, "I'll look after Elizabeth, Sir, and we'll keep in contact when we can." He bows to Pavlov and Echelstein, shakes hands with Li and kisses Madame Kolchak's hand.

Then he walks briskly to Kolchaks room as Henry is just leaving and kneels by Kolchak's side. "I'm glad you're awake Admiral, I'd have hated to leave without saying goodbye. I'll always remember that short time in the bar with you and Henry; and I treasure both your friendships. Look after yourself and Madame Kolchak; I'm sure you'll find out where we are going but, if we come back, I'll look you up." Santiago takes Kolchak's hand. "Oh, and I think there may be some sort of understanding between Miss Grey and me. I wish I could stay longer and ask your advice about it but we have to leave now." He stands, bows and leaves feeling quite upset.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Professor Pavlov," she says. "Godspeed to you." She says goodbye to everyone and embraces her father one last time before joining the others in the ward to say farewell to the admiral. She admires his wife's ring, which she now wears on her left hand.

"I wish you the best of luck, Admiral Kolchak," she says, entering behind Santiago. "Take care of yourself and Mrs. Kolchak. Your wife was kind enough to lend me her wedding ring to help us maintain our pretense of being married. Would you be willing to lend yours to my new husband?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Do svidaniya," replies Admiral Kolchak to Dr. Renwick. "You saved my life--honestly, that is what I think."

To Santiago--

"'The bar,'" muses Admiral Kolchak; "I shall always ask for a glass of Greenspot."

"If you need help,"--Kolchak intensifies his words--"I mean armed help, in the future, you only have to get word to me."

To Elisabeth--

He pulls off his gold ring and hands it to Elisabeth, "I always do as Mrs. Kolchak."

Outside--

Father Pierrepont starts the truck's engine. Beside him in the cab are Elisabeth, Posie and Mingzhu; on its flatbed perch Santiago and Dr. Renwick, along with the rifles, the carpet bag of medical supplies, the food parcel, and a crate of wine. The truck pulls away from the Catholic Mission. A small crowd of well-wishers, in a haze of dust kicked-up by the truck's wheels, wave and doff their hats; Mrs. Quan's two Pekinese dogs chase the truck out of the gate, yapping excidedly.

[ooc: End of the chapter. Roll for experience to see if the Skills you used increase. Elisabeth is back to full health, Santiago can add 1 (up to 12 h.p.)]

Return to “Archive”