The Golden Pumpkin: Bar

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

The Golden Pumpkin: Bar

Post by Tabs »

The restaurant of Western Passenger Station is vast; to the left are the gaming tables, to the right the buffet, and in the centre is a newly laid, beautiful, parquetry dance floor. Dotted round the room young Chinese women, uniformed in scarlet silk cheongsam--traditional dress, have been posted, poised to help your wants: wait on tables, fetch drinks, etc.

The bar is a converted food counter; the copper tea urn shows that during the day the bar is used to dispense hot drinks and snacks. A barman sporting a bow tie and too much hair oil is serving Admiral Kolchak a bulbous glass of brandy. To one side of the bar, surreptitiously observing, is a toothy man wearing a white suit.

Image Image Image

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: The Golden Pumpkin: Bar

Post by aine »

Image Image

Santiago el Aguila wanders over to the bar with the monk in tow, he nods to the Admiral, his glance passing quickly over the other man. Although the bar is makeshift it looks well stocked with a bizarre assortment of bottles. He waits until the barman has finished pouring the Admiral's drink then, "My companion only drinks tea. Jasmine if you have it please." His eyes wander over the bottles and he prepares himself for the usual bourbon choice when he spies a dusty bottle hidden at the back. "Let me see the bottle at the back, behind the absinthe, no no, er bân lü?" The bottle is retrieved and Santiago picks it up reverently. "Green Spot single pot. The very best Ireland has to offer. How did you get all the way out here?" He passes it back to the waiter and orders a double with a small jug of water. He sniffs the whiskey and swirls it around before saluting the admiral and taking a small sip. "Sláinte!"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Sir, I have no idea how the Green Spot made its way here," the barman says in passable English. "You have an eye for the good stuff, and only a connoisseur of whisky takes his water separately." He smiles respectfully. "The jasmine tea will be served shortly."

Admiral Kolchak swirls his brandy like Santiago. "Na zdorovie!" He looks at the bottle of Green Spot and nods, before emptying his glass in one gulp. "Another one, same as this gentleman." He claps Santiago on the shoulder. "I am Vladimir Kolchak."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Santiago el Aguila. Ochin preeyatna Vladimir Vladimirovich. Please though, respect this fine Irish Whiskey as you would a fine woman, by sipping not throwing it around." He dips three fingers into the water and allows the drips to fall into the whiskey. "Just enough to release the full flavour." He smiles, glancing to make sure the tea has arrived.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"To hear a man speak Russian," says Admiral Kolchak, "it is good. I shall never return to the Motherland . . ." He pauses in sombre reflection, and then shakes his bald head.

"I'll respect the fine Irish whisky, as I would a fine woman; it is difficult for me though, Santiago el Aguila: have you met my wife?" He laughs uproariously.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Renwick approaches the bar and catches the tail end of the Admiral's last comment.

"Please excuse me for intruding so rudely upon your conversation ... did you say Admiral Kolchak? I only do so due to the fact that I too am unable to return to my country of birth at this time. It is most inconvenient and I find it sad how our peers see fit to sit in judgement on situations they refuse to acknowledge."

Looking straight at the Admiral before moving his gaze to Santiago, Renwick adds; "Please forgive my being so forthright ... my name is Renwick, Henry Renwick. May I buy you two gentlemen a round of drinks?" as he extends his hand towards Santiago, a friendly smile upon his face.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"The first round of drinks is free, sir," says the bartender to Dr. Renwick. He passes a glass cup and saucer to Santiago, it contains a steaming golden liquid: the jasmine tea.

The photographer pulls up a barstool. "Make mine a Gin Fizz, Li."

"Yes, I am Admiral Kolchak. Has there been a revolution in England too?" His tone is bearish or maybe sardonic.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Over ten years under a communist rule and you still have your wife, Admiral. I think another top up is in order for you Sir."
Santiago pours a top up and then shakes Renwick's hand. "Santiago el Aguila. Please, join us with this simple bottle of Irish, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Excuse me one moment first." He picks up the tea and carries over to the monk who is sitting alone near the toothy man then he returns to the bar.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"A pleasure sir" Renwick says before Santigo turns with the jasmine tea for the monk. Turning his attention to the Admiral he continues with a snort of derision; "Not a revolution in Britain, no, I am afraid the so called establishment is too entrenched in it's own self importance ... sorry, I feel somewhat bitter towards my peers as you can see. A faraway look crosses Renwicks features. He coughs and looking down to the floor gathers himself.

"If you don't mind my asking, is it the Bolshevik revolution that prevents your return?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The mention of "Communist" and "Bolshevik" send Admiral Kolchak into a moment of gloomy reverie. "When we--the defeated White Army--were allowed sanctuary in China, it seemed a sojourn only--I had hopes to return to Russia and fight the Red Army, for the sake of sanity and to avenge the Tsar. Well, it was a pipe-dream only. It is less than fifteen years ago, but the world has forgotten our struggle, our plight." He brightens, and adds: "And Mrs. Kolchak was allowed to join me in China, the Red devils!"

"Tell me, Dr. Renwick, what is it that you are referring to?

• ~

Admiral Kolchak looks towards the monk, back to Santiago, and asks: "It's been on my mind since we met, who is he, and why are you two together?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"I assure you the world has not forgotten your fight. As to whether they would admit it openly alas is another matter. Thus run the politics of the modern era I am afraid." Renwick shakes his head ruefully.

"Ah Admiral, my tale is a regretful one ..." Renwick looks down seeming to gather himself before continuing. "As someone who has also lost, I feel I can place my trust in you. Is it not funny how sometimes it is easier to tell your story to strangers than those you know?

Well, my younger brother, he was a fine talented artist, with the potential to achieve greatness. However having suffered from rheumatic fever as a child which marked him with severe depressions and severe and prolonged bouts of Sydenham's chorea, which is more commonly termed St Vitus' dance for the rest of his life. He had implored me for years during his depressive turns to give him a merciful release from his torments. Being a man of medicine I am hardened in my heart and mind against such talk. However, during a particularly deep depression and following a massive attack which left him with severely damaged musculature and some damage to his internal organs I relented and gave him the merciful release he craved." A stray tear escapes his eye as he continues.

"I could easily have covered my tracks but I stood by my decision as he would have suffered a long lingering life of misery after this traumatic event. But my peers took it that I had taken his life unlawfully and some even wanted to pursue it through the legal system, but they were persuaded that the negative publicity would be counter-productive and so, I was stripped of my right to practice medicine." Drawing a deep breath he adds.

"I tried several appeals and eventually won some sort of reprieve ... I was allowed to practice abroad for a period of ten years and my case would undergo further review at that point." A grim smile crossed his visage as he raised his head and pushed his shoulders back looking the sombre faced naval officer full in the eye. "There you have the story of my downfall Admiral ... hoisted on the petard of the one thing all Doctors are supposed to have, compassion."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago sips his Green Spot while listening to Dr. Renwick's sorrowful tale. "Yours is a fine and benevolent country Dr. Renwick; so long as you stay within the confines of her laws. It's something of a trade off for your security and peace of mind. Other countries? Well." He swirls his whiskey.

"As for my companion, I do not know who he is. I got into a spot of bother, as the English say. I can handle most situations but this time there were too many, organised too. My friend here appeared from the alley way and kept the pack off while I dealt with the leader. You should see him! All flying fists and heels. Once the remnants had fled we left the alley together and he's been with me ever since. A good traveling companion - quiet and no fuss." He smiles at the monk who is sipping his tea. "Madame Kolchak, she is travelling with you Admiral?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"We are strangers," says Admiral Kolchak in reply to Dr. Renwick--his words include Santiago as well, "but, yes, I agree with you that sometimes it is easier to tell a sad story to people you don't know."

He clasps Dr. Renwick's arm in a sympathetic gesture. "The loss of your brother is a personal tragedy; I feel that the loss of my country to the Bolsheviks is a tragedy for Russia; however, I think we have both suffered equally: who can judge? Such is life--which is why the Irish distill Green Spot. Gentlemen, another glass!"

A little while later: "How long have you been practicing medicine in China?"

To Santiago he says: "My wife is here tonight. Ignore my clumsy joking at her expense: I love her very much."

"The monk is a remarkable and useful companion. I noted that you said 'organised too' regarding your aggressors. Are you in some sort of trouble?--please, say that it is so, Santiago el Aguila!"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC;- I thought I had replied to this earlier - no matter.

"Thank you, thank you both." says Renwick. He pauses whilst the frustration he feels at the treatment he received two years ago at the hands of his so called peers. Once he is composed he returns the clasp of the Admiral, nods and smiles weakly at Santiago. "I do believe another glass would help put us in a better frame of mind."

"As for how long I had been practising in China, my fall from grace shall we call it was five year ago and I was 'exiled' here little over two years ago when I managed to find a placement with Dr. Davison Black at the archaeological dig at Zhoukoudian. He died last autumn and his replacement, a Chinaman named Pei Wenzhong whose attitude and ... and work ethic, shall I say are taking some getting used to. Our host tonight commented that he met Wenzhong before." Raising his glass he salutes his two companions "Cheers my new friends, Radem zdorova to you Admiral and Sulud to you Santiago - I hope I pronounced them right - foreign languages are not my forte I'm afraid. After just under two years in China I can just about manage to get by."
Hssst!,[color=#0000FF]Lady, Mrs., Madam--how do you address an Admiral's wife? Anyway, Mrs. Kolchak is here tonight at the restaurant: she is at the gaming tables. And she is not that attractive! Cearlan wrote:[/color] [i]"Ah your good lady wife Admiral ... forgive me I did not see you behind you Admiral. May I redress that misfortune by complimenting you on your attire tonight, is that ermine trim on your dress and hat? It really sets off your dark hair Lady Kolchack. I can see why you love her so much Admiral."[/i] Turning from the attractive lady he addresses Santiago.
"Yes Santiago you are in good company here so if trouble follows you I would offer my services in your aid. I for one could use a diversion from Wenzhong's histrionics, however temporary."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,It just occurred to me--as I re-read the above--that I had presumed that when Dr. Renwick met Dr. Chee, Renwick was a doctor of anthropology, not a doctor of medicine; and I don't know when one uses the title? Right, time for me to google "doctor" and "professor."
"This Pei Wenzhong sounds like he is a martinet," says Admiral Kolchak.

• ~

The toothy man leaves the bar and walks away.

"He's Nationalist Secret Service I've no doubt," says Admiral Kolchak. "Funny how these people always look suspicious. Probably checking up on Fleming and Maillart."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Ha! I have little or no doubt that you are right. They seem to be everywhere these days. You liken Wenzhong to a marionette; I firmly believe that he is no puppet. I sense that he is destined for great things; no, it's more that he does things in a completely different way, and everyone has to jump to HIS tune. Renwick watches the toothy man as he walks away, keeping close watch on where he goes. However one does not survive long in China without taking some precautions. he adds quietly

Whilst I am certainly no expert in Archaeology, most of his methods and theories seem to clash almost diametrically with what the late Doctor Black and his team had ... but enough about him. I came here for a diversion and it looks as though friend Santiago may offer one. Please continue Senor el Aguila."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc:
Dr. Renwick said: I came here for a diversion and it looks as though friend Santiago may offer one. Please continue Senor el Aguila."
--this says what I was about to type, "let's allow aine a few days to post."]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Senora Kolchek must be a remarkable lady, I'd be honoured to meet her sometime Admiral." Santiago bows his handsome head. "As to the trouble, it was most probably just consequences to a recent endevour of mine." He looks as if he is about to say more but his eyes flicker in the direction of the exited toothy man, "I will find out soon enough if it is more than that and then gentlemen, I may well be glad of some assistance." He pours out a round from the diminishing Green Spot.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Your story, well, what you've hinted at, is intriguing, Santiago el Aguila."

Admiral Kolchak raises a hand, ready to wave. "Talk of the devil, here she comes." Mrs. Kolchak, walking arm in arm with another, approaches the bar . . . and continues past into the foyer. Admiral Kolchak watches on, his hand above his head, frozen pathetically.

Image Image
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

The lady diverts back out into the foyer with her companion, "She is er, very beautiful Admiral." Santiago murmurs and looks at him with compassion. He changes the subject tactfully, "Please tell me more about your archaeological dig Dr. Renwick; what era is it?"

Return to “Archive”