The Golden Pumpkin: Bar

Moderator: Tabs

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: The Golden Pumpkin: Bar

Post by Cearlan »

Renwick catches Santiago's eye and adds, "Yes a fine looking woman Admiral and no mistake." before mirroring Santiago's compassionate look at the crestfallen Russian.

"As for the dig we looked at the work started by Andersson and Zdansky in 1921 who dubbed the site as the 'Peking Man site' - you may have heard it termed as such." Clearly warming to his topic, Renwick continues;

"My mentor and friend, the Canadian palaeoanthropologist Davidson Black, got the Rockefeller Foundation to fund a systematic excavation of the site. Funding was granted and the Zhoukoudian Project commenced excavations in 1927 under the supervision of Chinese archaeologist Li Jie. That fall, a tooth was unearthed and the following year Black's excavations uncover more fossils of a new species including teeth, a substantial part of a juvenile's jaw and an adult jaw complete with three teeth. These finds allowed Black to secure extra grants which were used to set up the Cenozoic Research Laboratory at the Peking Union Medical College in 1928. This is where the anthropologist Pei Wenzhongan first came on the scene."

"Conditions at the site were primitive with scientists having to ride out to the excavation on mules, staying at caravansaries along the way. Wenzhongan told me that when he uncovered the first skullcap in 1929; he was working in a 40-meter crevasse in frigid weather with a hammer in one hand and a candle in the other, something Davidson always doubted, claiming it as one of the site workers who made the discovery. Be that as it may, a second skullcap was discovered close to the first in 1930 and by 1932 close to a hundred workers were deployed at the site each daily. By this time the presence of stone tools and evidence of the use of fire at the cave were accepted."

A look of sadness crosses Renwicks face as he continues - blissfully unaware of the glazed expressions on the faces of Kolchack and Santiago. "Ever the studious workaholic, Davidson Black passed away in March last year 1934 at his desk with one of the skullcaps unearthed at the site on his desk."

Looking up with a shocked look on his face he realises what he has just done, "Oh my! Please, do forgive me - I do tend to get overly loquacious when this subject arises." He shakes his head with a rueful smile adding "Well at least now you know to avoid that subject! Is there any more of this fine whisky left? I could certainly do with it about now.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

It is not from boredom that Santiago's face has glazed over; inside he is thinking furiously. He looks over to the monk who catches his eye. There is the faintest of nods from the robed man. "Tell me, have either of you seen anything like this before, or a design that is at all similar?" Santiago checks that the bar man is busy cleaning glasses and then reaches inside his shirt and pulls out a strange object threaded onto a leather thong around his neck. It could be metal or even stone and looks ancient.

OOC,Three guesses what it really is.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Renwick's soliloquy: I found it to be interesting :) actually, I did. [quote]Three guesses what it really is.[/quote] The "strange object" looks like a prehistoric carving from lava, or a twiglet.
Admiral Kolchak snaps to attention when Santiago speaks; he had been disconsolately studying the floor, lost in dark thoughts. "I can not say--it looks--" His interest revives. "Well, I have no idea. Dr. Renwick, what do you think?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Spoiler:
OOC - Well I am glad it was interesting - a mixture of research and slight bending of the facts to fit where I want this character to go.
"Hmmm, the figure is roughly humanoid in shape but other than that ... what is it made from? It feels like metal, but seems to have many properties of stone, such as it's texture and weight. But other than that I can cast very little light upon it; it is however extremely old. Where did it come from may I ask?" Renwick asks his face creasing in a studious frown.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago hides the object back into his shirt. "That, Dr. Renwick is what I'm trying to discover. It was a long shot but I thought your Zhoukoudian Project may have unearthed something like it. I have followed clues from Europe through Russia to here. I am looking for, well, the translation I have is gông, dông and jîng, a cave or palace maybe. It's very old so could be an archeological site like yours. It looks like my search will be difficult just from the bureaucratic red tape that festoons the place round here." He grimaces.
ooc,Drat, well spotted- a twiglet!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Admiral Kolchak pours the last two fingers of whisky from the Green Spot in to a glass and sets the glass on the bar. "Excuse me, gentlemen." He walks away, towards the foyer, holding the empty bottle.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Renwick, far from the comfort zone of the 'dig,' where he has enjoyed relative social isolation for the last two years seems genuinely perplexed as to how to proceed with his two new friends.

"A troubled man methinks. Half of me thinks we should go after him to support him, the other half says that what goes on between husband and wife is between them and them alone. What do you say Santiago?"
Spoiler:
OOC does 'gông, dông and jîng' register anything with me?
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago smiles. "I think it is a long established pattern that the Admiral suffers with practice. And so there can be no harm in our added support. At least I hope so." He looks at the empty bottle. "Plus we have had the best the bar has to offer. Shall we follow our new friend in case he needs the cavalry?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Admiral Kolchak, in the foyer--several paces from the bar, stops dead in his tracks. He places the whisky bottle that he is holding upon a table, giving the bottle a shove so that it is hidden behind a pot plant.

He grips his brow with thumb and forefinger, smiling to himself ruefully.

ooc,[quote]Drat, well spotted- a twiglet![/quote] Really? If true it was a lucky guess! [quote]does 'gông, dông and jîng' register anything with me?[/quote] I'm unsure if this is correct--[b]aine[/b] is the person to verify, and, also, how good is Dr. Renwick's Chinese? anyway, google says these are Vietnamese words.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

The monk watches them leave the bar impassively. At the entrance to the foyer, Santiago el Aguila watches the Admiral's odd behaviour. He raises his eyebrows in question to Dr. Renwick.
ooc,re: 'gông, dông and jîng' [quote]google says these are Vietnamese words[/quote] Noodles! Does that mean Santiago is searching 2000 miles too far north? I thought they were Chinese for hole/temple/palace - not necessarily in that order. I would have thought Dr. Renwick would recognise them from his Chinese archeology.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Tabs wrote:Admiral Kolchak, in the foyer--several paces from the bar, stops dead in his tracks. He places the whisky bottle that he is holding upon a table, giving the bottle a shove so that it is hidden behind a pot plant.

<snip image>

He grips his brow with thumb and forefinger, smiling to himself ruefully.
As Renwick and Santiago enter the foyer they seethe admiral rubbing his forehead. Renwick coughs politely, more to let the proud Russian know of their presence. "Although we met not more than an hour ago Admiral, both Santiago and myself declare ourselves to be here for you as friends if you have need of us. As a stranger in a strange land I am all too well of the toll that being ... ah ... being alone can bring to a man. Some turn to drink or that devilish opium, but you are made of stronger stuff than this my friend. Come let us enjoy this evening in the company of Dr. Chee."
Tabs wrote:
ooc,<snip> [quote]does 'gông, dông and jîng' register anything with me?
I'm unsure if this is correct--aine is the person to verify, and, also, how good is Dr. Renwick's Chinese? anyway, google says these are Vietnamese words.[/spoiler-button][/quote]
ooc,<snip> [quote]Having spent the last two years in China, or at least the better part of the last two years, I think it would be reasonable to assume that Renwick could speak at least a little Chinese, though as for reading and writing ... possibly. It depends how dastardly the keeper is feeling :shock: Or do I assume that hole / temple / palace is something I can recognise?
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Let's assume that "gông, dông and jîng" does mean hole, temple, palace in Chinese and that Dr. Renwick understands the words. As for reading and writing Chinese--okay, but I reckon that the doctor will have a good X% in the language. I realise that there are several languages in China, but that is about all I do know. I remember in "News from Tartary" by Peter Fleming--who could speak a few words of Chinese--that the same word had a different meaning as he travelled through China; so it's all quite complex; I think Chinese words should be used as decoration to create atmosphere.
Admiral Kolchak lets his hand drop from his brow when Dr. Renwick coughs politely.

"Kind words," says Kolchak, "kindly spoken. I must confess to a 'red mist' of jealousy that veiled my thought when I saw my wife with another." He smiles at Renwick and Santiago. "I apologise: I was behaving like a child. Back to the--"

"Vladimir, Vladimir darling." Mrs. Kolchak greets her husband; she is still linked, arm in arm, with another man.

Image Image

"May I introduce Count de Prorok, a most fascinating gentleman; a writer of some distinction!"

Admiral Kolchak coughs politely--like Dr. Renwick did earlier. "Itka, these two fellows are my new friends, Doctor Renwick and Santiago el Aguila."

"Delighted," says Mrs. Kolchak.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago clicks his heels and bows from the waist: the perfect Spanish noble. "Don Santiago y de Aguila, Marqués de Mazapán, cautivó Señora." And flashes a gallant smile. He turns to the new gentleman, "A pleasure to meet you sir." He says with rather less flamboyance.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

To Santiago, Renwick adds as an aside ... "I think I have may heard your words before, but I am not entirely sure, let me think on it awhile. It is possible they may mean something along the lines of palace in the ground, but I think it may be best if we speak later of it - I cannot say that I like this chap one bit, and as for trusting him, well this first impression does not lead me in that direction.

Renwick nods to the Russian naval man and says; "Think nothing of it Admiral, but what I said still holds."

Turning to the Admiral's wife he beams as he continues smoothly "Ah your good lady wife Admiral ... forgive me I did not see you at the bar. May I redress my lack of manners by complimenting you on your attire tonight, is that ermine trim on your dress and hat? It really sets off your dark hair Lady Kolchack." Turning from the not too attractive lady to the former Russian officer he continues "I can see why you love her so much Admiral."

Turning from the Russians he addresses Count de Prorok with slightly less deference than a Count may expect. "Count, it is always a pleasure to meet a fellow Englishman abroad. Tell me Count, what is your field? I believe I may have come across your name somewhere but cannot seem to place where."
OOC,Have I heard of him due to my involvement with the dig at Zhoukoudian? if he is that famous an writer / archaeologist as the he claims then I may well have.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Byron civilly acknowledges the three gentlemen. "A most intriguing wife, Admiral. Pardon for stealing her away. How do you say... I shared my pipe with her on the platform." de Prorok takes a step to the side allowing Santiago to have a clear path to converse with Mrs Kolchak. To Mr Renwick, the American smiles, recognizing a fellow scholar. "Ah, one of the trenches. I was director of archeological excavations in Carthage in -25. Wrote a novel on that, "Digging for Lost African Gods", you might have heard of it?" He leans at the bar and continues. "Zhoukoudian, I haven´t tested the land of the Yellow River yet. I remember that one time in the Sahara, at the Tuaregs, while excavating Tin Hinan. It´s a close homonym to one of Emperor Quin´s concubines, Tian Huan - which translates to Peaceful benefit, and that´s an appropriate name for a mistress if any!" Without looking to closely it´s clear that the count is elated and in a good mood. He calms himself and makes an effort to find his manners. "Zhoukoudian you say. What are your finds so far, may I ask?"
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Renwick nods to the Russian naval man and says; "Think nothing of it Admiral, but what I said still holds."

"Sir, I appereciate it," says Admiral Kolchak.

"Oh, how charming!" says Mrs. Kolchak in response to Santiago. To Dr. Renwick: "Yes, it is ermine." She is obviously pleased by the compliment about her hair.

"Now now, Doctor Renwick," says Admiral Kolchak, "I think you over do it a little too much."

"Vladimir! that was unnecessary. We all know that the Doctor was being polite."
Count de Prorok said: "How do you say... I shared my pipe with her on the platform."
Mrs. Kolchak swallows. Admiral Kolchak's eyelids flicker and his gaze turns--in a step-like motion--to the Chinese pot plant upon the table beside him.

ooc,[quote]Cearlan wrote: Have I heard of him due to my involvement with the dig at Zhoukoudian? if he is that famous an writer / archaeologist as the he claims then I may well have.[/quote] That is for [b]Syrinx [/b]to say. Count Byron de Prorok certainly appears to know a lot about archaeology.

A humming sound that grows in intensity fills the restaurant and then fades: the suspended brass gong that is beside the "Harry Roy" band has been struck.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Tabs wrote:
"Sir, I appereciate it," says Admiral Kolchak.
"Please, think nothing of it Sir, the offer was freely made" Renwick intones with a polite nod.

Tabs wrote:To Dr. Renwick: "Yes, it is ermine." She is obviously pleased by the compliment about her hair.

"Now now, Doctor Renwick," says Admiral Kolchak, "I think you over do it a little too much."

"Vladimir! that was unnecessary. We all know that the Doctor was being polite."
Renwick blushed profusely. "I ah ... please forgive me if I have overstepped the mark Lady Kolchak ... Admiral. That was the last thing I intended to do."

Tabs wrote:Admiral Kolchak's eyelids flicker and his gaze turns--in a step-like motion--to the Chinese pot plant upon the table beside him.
Again Renwick coughs and if the jealous Russian catches his eye he shakes his head slightly.

Tabs wrote:
ooc,That is for [b]Syrinx [/b]to say. Count Byron de Prorok certainly appears to know a lot about archaeology. OK I'll await further information then and will assume I have not heard of him before as I am nothing more than a rank amateur at this archaeology thing anyway. Perhaps I saw one of his books on a shelf somewhere or other, but probably not out here.
Tabs wrote:A humming sound that grows in intensity fills the restaurant and then fades: the suspended brass gong that is beside the "Harry Roy" band has been struck.
Renwick brightens; "Ah it seems the evening's entertainment is about to begin." Gesturing towards the restaurant area, Renwick adds, a broad smile creasing his face; "Admiral and Lady Kolchak, Count de Prorok and Santiago, if you would be so kind as to lead the way whilst I play the gooseberry at the tail end."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Yes let´s see what they have prepared." Byron walks closer to the stage midst his new-found acquaintances.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

'I will catch up with you in just a moment.' Santiago bows his head and allows the Count to continue ahead of him in the wake of the Admiral and Madame Kolchak. He winks at Renwick and then ducks back into the bar. There is no sign of the monk. Santiago frowns, shrugs and then catches up with the doctor just as the entertainment begins. 'Odd fellow, that monk. Has a habit of vanishing. Probably has an inkling about the imminent entertainment.' He says with a discreet grimace.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Count Byron de Prorok said: "How do you say... I shared my pipe with her on the platform."

Admiral Kolchak's eyelids flicker and his gaze turns--in a step-like motion--to the Chinese pot plant upon the table beside him.

Again Renwick coughs and if the jealous Russian catches his eye he shakes his head slightly.
Admiral Kolchak flushes red with rage, starting with his neck and rising to the top of his bald dome, like a wine glass being filled--upside down--by a Claret. He opens his mouth and shuts it with an audible snap. Mrs. Kolchak takes steps to soothe the coming eruption from her husband, she takes hold of the Admiral's hand, laughs gaily, and babbles about what the entertainment may be? Together they follow de Prorok, with Renwick and Santiago in the rear.

"Is that Bobby Azarov?" says Mrs. Kolchak, pointing toward the bar. When the Admiral turns to look, she pinches Byron and whispers: "Idiot!"

[ooc: Move to topic "The Golden Pumpkin: Gaming Tables"; look for # in the topic.]

Return to “Archive”