Millet Field [Cearlan, aine, DSIGFUSS]

Moderator: Tabs

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Millet Field

Post by Cearlan »

Renwick grins at his new friend, "That is a good point - let's just hope the see it is us when we get there. Come on Santiago." They set off together for the Mill trying to hide their tracks whilst looking forwards to seeing the mill and their friend the Admiral once more, but mainly to get out of the cursed rain.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"I'm glad you managed to clock him one there." Renwick says cheerfully as they head towards the mill. "I didn't fancy having to charge him with that bloody sword in his hand. Between the two of us, I'm amazed it worked as well the second time. I don't mind admitting to you that I don't think I have ever been as scared outside the experiences I had during the terrible Great War. Such a waste of life ... yet i was quite prepared to kill the Jap there." Renwick pauses a moment a frown creasing his face before continuing "And I don't think I would have hesitated had it come down to it. I just hope that our higher standards do not come back to haunt us in the future. What do you think?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"It's not something I'd like to repeat in a hurry. I couldn't believe it when you just stood up so brazenly and started chatting to him! Ha! A man needs nerves of steel to be your comrade in arms Dr. Renwick. I fear it'll be some time before we can celebrate however. " Santiago looks at his friend, "I too am worried about leaving them alive - but in all honesty - I can't kill a man in cold blood while he is lying at my feet. We must just be clear away before dawn." The dark shape of the mill is outlined against the sky. "I hope they are ready to move but let's give them a little scare first, might as well make the most of your fearsome features Renwick! Shall we creep up and see what we can see?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"As for nerves of steel, you were not standing in my shoes Santiago ... my bowels were filled with ice water, still are to a degree, hence my babbling like an idiot, please excuse me. As for giving our friends a surprise ... Whilst it may not be in good taste, it may help to show them the seriousness of the situation. Remember though the little girl, it would not do to frighten her too much, though I dare say she will have plenty scares before this is all concluded!" Renwick turns and nearly slips in the mud looking at his friend full on in the eye.

"You are right about not killing the two Japanese soldiers, for if they were just pawns in a much bigger game that they realised then that would not sit right with either of us I wager. though I do share the unease you feel about letting them live. You see what problems men of hounour have to deal with?" Laughing Renwick claps his hand on Santiago's shoulder, turns and proceeds onwards to the shadowy mill.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

The entrance to the water mill--the door is a sliding wood screen--is open. Renwick and Santiago can detect a dim red glow coming from inside; all is very silent.

[ooc: The photograph of the mill shows its back, the two men approach from the front, which is to the right of the photograph.]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Honour brings problems indeed but I hope the rewards may be greater! I'm sure we won't have to do much for a surprise. It is very quiet within. Have they started a fire do you think?" Santiago creeps to the edge of the doorway and looks in.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The inside appears to be empty. The floor is compacted earth, the walls are straw and wood; a fire to one side emits the red glow; a kang--a raised brick platform for sleeping upon--is in the middle of the room; at the rear is another--internal-- doorway covered by sacking and there is a ladder leading up to a trapdoor in the ceiling above.

[Roll Spot Hidden.]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago's night sight is dimmed from looking at the fire. "It looks like they have left already, unless they are hiding behind the trapdoor. We'd better check before moving on."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Just be careful." Renwick warns. "Kolchack strikes me as a wily old fox so expect the unexpected. Better safe than sorry. There is no way that the Japs could have got here ahead of us."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: What is Santiago's next move? If Renwick peeks inside as well he can roll Spot Hidden. You could both roll Listen? . . .]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"No, but we'd best be quick, the soldiers could still come this way." He whispers. Unless Renwick sees/hears something to say otherwise, Santiago tiptoes into the mill to hear better. "I think I heard something!"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Henry looks around quietly but the light is too dim to make anything out really, Spot Hidden (1d100=50) fail. When Santiago says he thinks he hears something, he listens intently Listen (1d100=18) success.

"Shh!" he cautions Santiago, laying his hand on the Spaniards shoulder "I think I hear something."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The far side of the kang: breathing--faint, almost wheezing.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"You're right. Someone is still here! Asleep maybe?" Santiago walks quietly up to the where the noise is coming from and looks around.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Laughter--deep and booming, with a hint of hysteria--but not from fear, from stress coupled with relief. A match strikes, and the flare illuminates the familiar bald dome of Kolchak, who is sat inside the internal door holding a rifle of some description.

"Señor, I congratulate your height! When I saw your silhouette in the doorway I thought: God help us, if all Japs are so tall!--and then the truth dawned upon me."

The breathing from behind the kang belongs to the unconscious Mario Giovanni.

A head pops upside down from the trapdoor.

"Guests, Admiral?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"What has happened here?" Asks Renwick as he rushes past Santiago to the prone form of Mario Giovanni. As he looks over the prone Italian he asks the Russian "And Admiral, my friend, why are you still here? I would have thought that you would be with the rest of the group, looking after them. Unless they are upstairs of course."
First Aid roll for Mario,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3994035/]1d100=48[/url]
OOC;- Is it alright to assume we can make rolls or should we wait for you ask for them? Obviously we would wait for reactions to the rolls.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago grins at the old admiral, "Well met Admiral old friend, you holding the fort? I'm sorry about our appearance, we had a few tussles in the mud!" Santiago then looks up at the man in the trapdoor, "Good evening Sir, I trust you are all okay still?" He goes over to help Renwick with the unconscious man, talking over his shoulder as he does so. "We really must leave soon, I think we have foiled the soldiers for a short while but they'll be headed this way eventually - looking for their officer no doubt!" He says to Renwick.
First aid,(30%) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3996108/]1d100=47[/url]
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Yes, and when he comes round he'll be madder than hell - especially since we got the drop on him so easilly. I fear it will not be so easy if our paths ever cross again."

Once I have done all I can for the unconscious man I will attend to the Admiral's leg as I can. "Sorry to say friend Admiral that there is nothing I can do at this point for your leg other than maybe strap it up with my belt, maybe make some kind of splint - do you want me to try? I need more equipment than I currently have available unfortunately."

First aid on Admiral Kolchack (1d100=80) - fail by 5%
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: Regarding rolls: go ahead if you wish.]
"And Admiral, my friend, why are you still here?
Kolchak limps towards his two comrades, using the rifle--an ancient fowling piece--as a makeshift crutch. "My leg,"--one trouser leg, from the thigh to the knee, is soaked in blood--"I didn't want to slow the others; and I planned to hold the fort for a while,"--he brandishes the pathetic weapon--"to buy some time. Otto--that is Professor Eichelstein--volunteered to stay behind with me. He was to set fire to the thatch once the Japs got inside the mill. And the unconscious Italian, he didn't get a say, but I decreed he be left behind too."

Dr. Renwick does what he can for Mario, but without proper medical facilities it's hopeless. Both the Doctor and Santiago can see that someone has already given first aid to Mario, and done a neat and tidy job.
"Well met Admiral old friend, you holding the fort? I'm sorry about our appearance, we had a few tussles in the mud!"
"I can see!" says Kolchak, "what a disreputable pair you are." He laughs. The katana that Renwick is holding catches the Admiral's attention. "Bravo!"
Santiago then looks up at the man in the trapdoor, "Good evening Sir . . .
"And you, too," replies Professor Eichelstein. "The women and the others have gone to the Catholic Mission across the paddy fields--beyond the stream; the miller, one Shaosu, is guiding them."
maybe make some kind of splint - do you want me to try?
"Yes, doctor," answers Kolchak. He is looking pale from loss of blood. "Do you have a flask on you? Something violently strong!"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"I do not know too much about battle tactics, but your assessment of the situation seems sound enough to my way of thinking. However it must also be said that the ladies could benefit from your expertise. As for the repute the we carry, or not as the case may be, well I can lay the blame fairly and squarely on our Spanish friend here." Renwick smiles up at Santiago. "He slipped when in the field and the scout missed him whilst I distracted him and between us we managed to overcome first a scout and then that conniving Officer Toshiro in similar manner."
OOC,[color=#FF4000]Is there anything else I can use to secure the splint? [/color]
"Grit your teeth Admiral, this may hurt as I apply my belt. Unfortunately I did not have the foresight to bring a flask I'm afraid."

"Professor," Renwick nods towards the aged face in the trapdoor. "Any signs of our pursuers yet, it would be well if we were not here when they arrive?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Archive”