Page 1 of 1

Millet Field [Cearlan, aine, DSIGFUSS]

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 am
by Tabs

[ooc: Roll Spot Hidden, Renwick 45% and Santiago 65%]

Re: Millet Field

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 pm
by Cearlan
Henry raises his head slightly looking about and sees ...
OOC,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3947777/[/url] - [color=#FF4000]success[/color]

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 pm
by aine
Santiago smiles with relief as the lights go out, his teeth glinting in the darkness. "Yes! Okay Doctor, shall we make a break for the oak trees before the soldiers get here?" He turns to Renwick and sees him 'sniffing the air'. "What is it Doctor?"

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:06 pm
by Tabs
The weird rose-colour searchlight beams leave a pink aurora on the retinas of Renwick and Santiago; as their light dies an image of the field going back to the locomotive flashes for an instant.
Renwick,[img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/MilletField_zpsefdf1764.jpg[/img]
[ooc: aine, if Santiago passes Spot Hidden, you can look behind the button.]

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:18 am
by aine
spot hidden,65% [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3951534/]1d100=30[/url]

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:16 pm
by Cearlan
"Looks like they have sent a tracker out to follow us" Santiago calls Renwick over the thunder and rain. "We'd better move and move now"

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:07 pm
by Tabs
To their left, about 50 yards away, is a grove of oak trees that the stream probably runs through; to their right is a ribbon of bushes, they line the stream to the train track, it curves from the station in front of them on the route to Chengchow.

[ooc: If they wish to, roll Track, a success meaning you can confuse the path taken.]

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 am
by Cearlan
Only have the base 10%, but here goes
Track Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3953237/]1d100=45[/url]
Hopeless failure, unless there are a LOT of bonuses but then again I do want them to follow me so maybe this ain't such a bad roll after all?

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:23 pm
by Tabs
[ooc: To successfully hide the tracks of the other guests and mislead any pursuers--like an anti-track, if that makes sense.]

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm
by aine
A small smile from Santiago. "When I was growing up on La Pampa in Argentina, this was my work and play. We must try to direct the soldiers away from the mill like so; to keep the people safe. For us it is not so important. We need them to chase us." He quickly marks the ground but watches with chagrin as the tracks begin to dissolve in the rain. "However, I think this ground is too wet to hold the track. We should run and make a noise. Which way do you want to go?"

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 am
by Cearlan
"I think we should see where the group are going to head and we should lead them away. Let's make for the mill for now ... I don't feel we should leave them without making sure we are all aware of what our plans are, such as they are. come my friend and may our Gods be with us" Renwick extends his hand and pulls Santiago up.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 am
by Tabs
[ooc: "It," whatever it is (tracker/pursuer/thing), is almost upon you. The water mill is 50 yards away.]

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm
by aine
problem submitting

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm
by aine
problem submitting

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:34 pm
by aine
"Too late, I think our time is up Renwick! Get ready to jump the tracker!" Santiago whispers urgently in the doctor's ear and ducks down straining to see the approaching tracker through the rain. He readies the rifle to use as a threat or a club if necessary.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick casts about looking for something he can use as a club, even a large stone would help.
OOC,Spot Hidden [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3957930/]1d100=58[/url]

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 pm
by Tabs
Renwick cannot see anything useful--he does find a few small stones . . .

[ooc: How are you going to receive "it"? Santiago ducks down, and he is plastered in mud; Dr. Renwick?]

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:00 pm
by aine
ooc,As the range is too short for the rifle, Santiago hopes to remain hidden in the mud and then leap up, surprise the 'it' and clonk it in the stomach with the rifle butt. This will, hopefully, give them both time to disable it.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:46 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick backs away calling out "No ... no ... please no." giving Santiago the chance to hide if he can distract 'it' long enough.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 am
by Tabs

A figure: crouched upon his haunches, close to the earth and examining it intently; now and again dipping his finger into the numerous puddles. He turns and shouts:

"Karera wa kono yō ni narimashita."

"Hai," is the reply, it comes from a further 10 yards back.

The soldier is level with the motionless Santiago.
"No ... no ... please no."
"Kokode wa gaikoku hitodesu!" exclaims the soldier, standing up.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick backs away hoping to lure the soldier further towards him so that Santiago can attack from the rear ... hopefully.

"Please I don't speak Japanese ... no ... no." Renwick looks about him with a fearful expression on his face as he continues to back away, hands palm towards the soldier level with his elbow.
OOC,If the soldier continues to come forward then Renwick will back up a little more before crouching down, ready to launch himself at the soldiers legs / midriff if necessary. a tricky manoeuvre in this mud I know, but with the absence of anything to use as a weapon ...

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm
by aine
Santiago rears out of the black mud behind the soldier as he stands up and attempts to butt him in the head with the rifle.
oops,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3965590/]1d100=98[/url]

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm
by Tabs
[ooc: Ha ha!]

Santiago rears up and swings with his rifle butt at the soldier, but slips, and makes a "pig's ear" of the attack. The soldier ducks, even though the butt was nowhere near to him, swivels in the mud, and . . .

[ooc: The soldier is going to turn and run. What is the procedure, does Santiago get another action?--I cannot be bothered to look it up in the rulebook, sorry.]

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 pm
by Cearlan
"AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!" cries out Renwick as he launches himself at the scout (Grapple?)
OOC,Success?[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3965785/]1d100=7[/url] - my grapple skill is base 25%

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 pm
by Tabs
The good doctor Grapples perfectly, all those years playing rugger on the wet playing fields at grammar school have paid off: Dr. Renwick tackles the soldier very hard and dumps the, now, winded Jap in the mud.

[ooc: Right, after that success, I'll rule that Dr. Renwick and Santiago can act again.]

From nearby, but not visible in the darkness:

"Sorujā! Gaikoku hito ga dono yō ni jikkō shimashita ka?"

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 pm
by aine
With Renwick holding the body down, Santiago slaps a hand over the soldier's mouth to keep him from shouting out and lies still.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:22 pm
by Cearlan
Glancing around Renwick nods towards the tree-line. "We should at least knock the bastard out and conceal his body over there, or maybe the mill. It would give us another weapon and thus more options than we have now. I can carry him if you obscure our tracks the way you did before I tackled him." Renwick's face split into a grin hoping the Spaniard get's his friendly jibe at his expense.
OOC,what weapons does the scout carry other than the rifle? also any other ammo - without doing a thorough search of course

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:17 am
by Tabs
Santiago slaps a firm hand over the soldier's mouth, whose eyes swivel frantically and pop, so that the "whites" flash in the darkness.

[ooc: Good roll--I take it was for a Grapple, but whatever, it would have been a success.]

Dr. Renwick holds the scout fast, the doctor feels that the man's strength is returning--the scout is beginning to wriggle.

There is not a rifle, but attached to the belt is a long slender bayonet, like a light machete; and a quick search of the leather webbing reveals 12 bullets.

"Sorujā!" barks a commanding voice. A glint in the darkness: a drawn katana.

[ooc: What's the plan? To Hide Is 50%--due to the darkness, mud and rain . . . the scout will try to break free (I think a look at the Resistance Table is required) . . . knock out? . . . ]

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:39 pm
by aine
"Take the bayonet and the ammo, quickly!" Santiago whispers fiercely. He takes his hand away, grabs the rifle and brings the butt hard down on the soldier's head. If the soldier is knocked out he swings the rifle round and aims it in the direction of the katana. "Get moving." He leaves it up to Renwick whether he carries the body or not.
ooc,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3972313/]1d100=25[/url] str=12 siz=14 I'm not sure what stats to use
I forgot to roll for hide: 1d100=21

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 am
by Cearlan
Looking down at the ground and remembering how Santiago had slipped when he tried to ambush the scout, Renwick removed the ammo belt and bayonet. I decide it would be a pointless exercise carrying the tracker - they know where we are heading ayway - well at least up to here.

"Got them Santiago!" He lays a hand on the Spaniards shoulder to guide him back towards the mill. "Best get a wriggle on old chap! once they find matey boy here all hell will break loose."

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:05 pm
by Tabs
The blow to the head from the rifle butt is a knock out one.

[Dr. Renwick, roll Hide @ 50% to not be seen by Officer Saitou; if you succeed the pair of you can flee, if not . . . wait and see what happens next!]

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm
by Cearlan
OOC,[color=#FF4000]Hmmm only got base hide at 10% coupled with his SIZ 13; so, would he hide or take the same tactic he used against the scout or even run away to draw the Japanese Officer forwards so that Santiago can attack. Renwick decides that he cannot hide in these ircumstances ... maybe if he had covered himself in mud ... but hey, he didn't![/color]
Renwick puts on the ammo belt and sheaths the bayonet before he backs away with his arms bent at the elbows, palms towards the officer. Recognising the officer from his conversation on the station platform Renwick adds, as he takes another step backwards. "So your orders involve the slaying of foreign nationals on Chinese soil do they Toshiro Saitou? I had thought the Japanese were men of honour? These actions hardly rank as honourable ..." another step. "If I were to turn and walk away would your oh so precious orders cover your shooting me in the back as well? If you note, your scout there is merely unconscious, it would have been an easy matter ...," another step. "... to silence him for good, but unlike your actions we want no trouble here. Why do you seek to slay us like cattle. I mean machine gunning the train carriage was totally barbaric and unconscionable ...," another step, "... and one you will have to live with for the rest of your days, to your own shame to your personal code."
OOC,[color=#FF4000]Basically Renwick just blathers on in this vein hopefully drawing the traitorous Officer Saitou forwards until Santiago can attack.[/color]

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm
by Tabs

"'Honour'? huh, what of it, Dr. Renwick!" Saitou walks towards the doctor, katana held, ready to strike, his polished boots splash through the mud.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:00 am
by Cearlan
"I always believed that the Japanese code of chivalry and honour was the bedrock of their beliefs ..." step back "... very similar to the Chinese, and yet here we are and you are showing yourself as little more than the lowest bandit with no morals or honour. I spit upon your orders, I spit upon the shreds of your honour, ..." step back "... whereas you" Renwick laughs out loud in the face of the Officer "... Hahaha. You spit upon your ancestors memory Shame on you Toshiro Saitou ..." step back "... shame on you and all you are. Your ancestors turn their backs on you as well."
OOC,[color=#FF4000]surely he is level or past Santiago by now - I feel like one of the hated Dragonlance kender taunting their foes[/color]

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 am
by aine
(Dreading imminent visit to invisible castle....)

The darkness looms up behind the Japanese officer as Santiago rises from the mud and brings the rifle butt down hard on the man's head. "Hell, risky tactics there Renwick!" Santiago looks like a prehistoric alluvial monster, only his teeth and eyes glinting in the black slime.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 am
by Tabs
Santiago is swift and aggressive,--Officer Toshiro doesn't even notice the Spaniard, so focused is he on skewering the doctor--the Jap collapses from the blow of the rifle butt, without even a twitch.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:47 pm
by Cearlan
"Good shot there Santiago!" exclaims Renwick. "Yes it was risky, but I had to get him so angry that he would only focus on me ..." holding out his hands he cannot stop them shaking - he does not believe that they are shaking only from the cold. "... now look at me - Gods I could do with a stiff drink about now, but I guess that won't happen anytime soon eh? Tell you what Santiago - first one's on me alright?"

"Now let's get away from here - I guess the rest of the Japs will not be too far behind this piece of flotsam. Let's get what we can off him - I'll get dirtied up in the meantime." Renwick drops down and rolls about in the mud,making sure he was covered in the gelatinous mud like Santiago.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm
by Tabs
There's the katana, but no webbing, his jacket?--Officer Toshiro was about 5'6" and of slim build, and in his breast pocket are some papers.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 pm
by Cearlan
"I've never used a sword before, but have experience with pistol and rifle," says Renwick as he applies the last bit of gloop to his face. He flashes a grin over to Santiago realising any hope of sterile procedures are now out the window, but he'd worked in worse conditions in the Great War.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:39 pm
by aine
"You look very smart - well dressed for the occasion!" Santiago grins and pulls the trousers off the soldier and attempts to cut them into some wide strips on the sword. With these he binds the hands and feet of both men and stuffs scraps into their mouths. "Hopefully keep them quiet until daybreak. Maybe someone at the mill can use the sword - perhaps the big fellow, and his mother might read the papers for us - lets keep them in the jacket out of the mud. Could I take the ammo off you?" When everything is done, "Let's go scare the heebes out of the mill patrons - if they are still there; if the Admiral was wise he wouldn't have stuck around."

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:28 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick grins at his new friend, "That is a good point - let's just hope the see it is us when we get there. Come on Santiago." They set off together for the Mill trying to hide their tracks whilst looking forwards to seeing the mill and their friend the Admiral once more, but mainly to get out of the cursed rain.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 pm
by Cearlan
"I'm glad you managed to clock him one there." Renwick says cheerfully as they head towards the mill. "I didn't fancy having to charge him with that bloody sword in his hand. Between the two of us, I'm amazed it worked as well the second time. I don't mind admitting to you that I don't think I have ever been as scared outside the experiences I had during the terrible Great War. Such a waste of life ... yet i was quite prepared to kill the Jap there." Renwick pauses a moment a frown creasing his face before continuing "And I don't think I would have hesitated had it come down to it. I just hope that our higher standards do not come back to haunt us in the future. What do you think?"

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:11 pm
by aine
"It's not something I'd like to repeat in a hurry. I couldn't believe it when you just stood up so brazenly and started chatting to him! Ha! A man needs nerves of steel to be your comrade in arms Dr. Renwick. I fear it'll be some time before we can celebrate however. " Santiago looks at his friend, "I too am worried about leaving them alive - but in all honesty - I can't kill a man in cold blood while he is lying at my feet. We must just be clear away before dawn." The dark shape of the mill is outlined against the sky. "I hope they are ready to move but let's give them a little scare first, might as well make the most of your fearsome features Renwick! Shall we creep up and see what we can see?"

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 pm
by Cearlan
"As for nerves of steel, you were not standing in my shoes Santiago ... my bowels were filled with ice water, still are to a degree, hence my babbling like an idiot, please excuse me. As for giving our friends a surprise ... Whilst it may not be in good taste, it may help to show them the seriousness of the situation. Remember though the little girl, it would not do to frighten her too much, though I dare say she will have plenty scares before this is all concluded!" Renwick turns and nearly slips in the mud looking at his friend full on in the eye.

"You are right about not killing the two Japanese soldiers, for if they were just pawns in a much bigger game that they realised then that would not sit right with either of us I wager. though I do share the unease you feel about letting them live. You see what problems men of hounour have to deal with?" Laughing Renwick claps his hand on Santiago's shoulder, turns and proceeds onwards to the shadowy mill.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm
by Tabs

The entrance to the water mill--the door is a sliding wood screen--is open. Renwick and Santiago can detect a dim red glow coming from inside; all is very silent.

[ooc: The photograph of the mill shows its back, the two men approach from the front, which is to the right of the photograph.]

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 pm
by aine
"Honour brings problems indeed but I hope the rewards may be greater! I'm sure we won't have to do much for a surprise. It is very quiet within. Have they started a fire do you think?" Santiago creeps to the edge of the doorway and looks in.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:04 pm
by Tabs
The inside appears to be empty. The floor is compacted earth, the walls are straw and wood; a fire to one side emits the red glow; a kang--a raised brick platform for sleeping upon--is in the middle of the room; at the rear is another--internal-- doorway covered by sacking and there is a ladder leading up to a trapdoor in the ceiling above.

[Roll Spot Hidden.]

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:42 pm
by aine
Santiago's night sight is dimmed from looking at the fire. "It looks like they have left already, unless they are hiding behind the trapdoor. We'd better check before moving on."

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:35 pm
by Cearlan
"Just be careful." Renwick warns. "Kolchack strikes me as a wily old fox so expect the unexpected. Better safe than sorry. There is no way that the Japs could have got here ahead of us."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:01 am
by Tabs
[ooc: What is Santiago's next move? If Renwick peeks inside as well he can roll Spot Hidden. You could both roll Listen? . . .]

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:16 pm
by aine
"No, but we'd best be quick, the soldiers could still come this way." He whispers. Unless Renwick sees/hears something to say otherwise, Santiago tiptoes into the mill to hear better. "I think I heard something!"

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:56 pm
by Cearlan
Henry looks around quietly but the light is too dim to make anything out really, Spot Hidden (1d100=50) fail. When Santiago says he thinks he hears something, he listens intently Listen (1d100=18) success.

"Shh!" he cautions Santiago, laying his hand on the Spaniards shoulder "I think I hear something."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 am
by Tabs
The far side of the kang: breathing--faint, almost wheezing.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:36 pm
by aine
"You're right. Someone is still here! Asleep maybe?" Santiago walks quietly up to the where the noise is coming from and looks around.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 am
by Tabs
Laughter--deep and booming, with a hint of hysteria--but not from fear, from stress coupled with relief. A match strikes, and the flare illuminates the familiar bald dome of Kolchak, who is sat inside the internal door holding a rifle of some description.

"Señor, I congratulate your height! When I saw your silhouette in the doorway I thought: God help us, if all Japs are so tall!--and then the truth dawned upon me."

The breathing from behind the kang belongs to the unconscious Mario Giovanni.

A head pops upside down from the trapdoor.

"Guests, Admiral?"

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm
by Cearlan
"What has happened here?" Asks Renwick as he rushes past Santiago to the prone form of Mario Giovanni. As he looks over the prone Italian he asks the Russian "And Admiral, my friend, why are you still here? I would have thought that you would be with the rest of the group, looking after them. Unless they are upstairs of course."
First Aid roll for Mario,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3994035/]1d100=48[/url]
OOC;- Is it alright to assume we can make rolls or should we wait for you ask for them? Obviously we would wait for reactions to the rolls.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 pm
by aine
Santiago grins at the old admiral, "Well met Admiral old friend, you holding the fort? I'm sorry about our appearance, we had a few tussles in the mud!" Santiago then looks up at the man in the trapdoor, "Good evening Sir, I trust you are all okay still?" He goes over to help Renwick with the unconscious man, talking over his shoulder as he does so. "We really must leave soon, I think we have foiled the soldiers for a short while but they'll be headed this way eventually - looking for their officer no doubt!" He says to Renwick.
First aid,(30%) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3996108/]1d100=47[/url]

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 pm
by Cearlan
"Yes, and when he comes round he'll be madder than hell - especially since we got the drop on him so easilly. I fear it will not be so easy if our paths ever cross again."

Once I have done all I can for the unconscious man I will attend to the Admiral's leg as I can. "Sorry to say friend Admiral that there is nothing I can do at this point for your leg other than maybe strap it up with my belt, maybe make some kind of splint - do you want me to try? I need more equipment than I currently have available unfortunately."

First aid on Admiral Kolchack (1d100=80) - fail by 5%

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:08 pm
by Tabs
[ooc: Regarding rolls: go ahead if you wish.]
"And Admiral, my friend, why are you still here?
Kolchak limps towards his two comrades, using the rifle--an ancient fowling piece--as a makeshift crutch. "My leg,"--one trouser leg, from the thigh to the knee, is soaked in blood--"I didn't want to slow the others; and I planned to hold the fort for a while,"--he brandishes the pathetic weapon--"to buy some time. Otto--that is Professor Eichelstein--volunteered to stay behind with me. He was to set fire to the thatch once the Japs got inside the mill. And the unconscious Italian, he didn't get a say, but I decreed he be left behind too."

Dr. Renwick does what he can for Mario, but without proper medical facilities it's hopeless. Both the Doctor and Santiago can see that someone has already given first aid to Mario, and done a neat and tidy job.
"Well met Admiral old friend, you holding the fort? I'm sorry about our appearance, we had a few tussles in the mud!"
"I can see!" says Kolchak, "what a disreputable pair you are." He laughs. The katana that Renwick is holding catches the Admiral's attention. "Bravo!"
Santiago then looks up at the man in the trapdoor, "Good evening Sir . . .
"And you, too," replies Professor Eichelstein. "The women and the others have gone to the Catholic Mission across the paddy fields--beyond the stream; the miller, one Shaosu, is guiding them."
maybe make some kind of splint - do you want me to try?
"Yes, doctor," answers Kolchak. He is looking pale from loss of blood. "Do you have a flask on you? Something violently strong!"

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:54 am
by Cearlan
"I do not know too much about battle tactics, but your assessment of the situation seems sound enough to my way of thinking. However it must also be said that the ladies could benefit from your expertise. As for the repute the we carry, or not as the case may be, well I can lay the blame fairly and squarely on our Spanish friend here." Renwick smiles up at Santiago. "He slipped when in the field and the scout missed him whilst I distracted him and between us we managed to overcome first a scout and then that conniving Officer Toshiro in similar manner."
OOC,[color=#FF4000]Is there anything else I can use to secure the splint? [/color]
"Grit your teeth Admiral, this may hurt as I apply my belt. Unfortunately I did not have the foresight to bring a flask I'm afraid."

"Professor," Renwick nods towards the aged face in the trapdoor. "Any signs of our pursuers yet, it would be well if we were not here when they arrive?"

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 am
by aine
"Be careful of this one on the battlefield (nodding towards Renwick) he is as cunning as a cougar, as the unfortunate officer found out!" Santiago looks at Kolchak's leg, "What happened Admiral? I'm afraid I have no flask either but we have something else to inspire you - the officer's papers! We'll get you out of here and catch up with the ladies, find someone to translate them." He looks at the Italian. "I reckon I can carry this man if you can hobble?"

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 am
by Tabs
As for the repute the we carry . . .
"I expected Santiago to be a fighting man," says Kolchak, "but not you, Doctor. Again: Bravo. 'As cunning as a cougar' you say, señor, well, well!

"I was afraid for the honour of the ladies and that my crippled condition would slow their escape, which is why I sent them ahead. Anyhow, the barman, Li, and Mr. Grey are capable fellows."

[ooc: There is an old hawthorn walking stick which could be used for a splint.]
"Professor," Renwick nods towards the aged face in the trapdoor. "Any signs of our pursuers . . .
"I'll go and look," replies Eichelstein.

Santiago works on Kolchak's leg, he stems the blood flow that is still oozing from a bullet wound. Kolchak grits his teeth. "Oh, for that bottle of Green Spot!

"When we parted company on the field, after you had extinguished the searchlights, there was a volley of shots and I caught one in my thigh. I hoped no one else was hit, but when I got to the water mill some of the guests were missing . . .

"'Papers'?--perhaps we can find out what all this is about? Yes, that does inspire me to get away, I really don't want to die in this filthy hovel; I'll hop if I have to!"

Professor Eichelstein's head pops back through the trapdoor. "Soldiers are coming--I saw their flashlights--at the rear of the mill."

"Outflanked," moans Admiral Kolchak.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick looked thoughtful; "If they are behind the mill, could we not make a move down the road then? Or what about the stream? I pray the ladies, especially the little one, precocious as she is, managed to get safely away. The fact that we have options ahead of us is good - yes? I believe they may well have the road covered as well, but hopefully they will be concentrating on the fields as we indicated. Professor." Renwick calls up to the loft; "I would not have you left behind unless we have absolutely no choice, and like I said, we have at least two choices that I can think of. A more military based mind may be able to conjure more than I can." Renwick finishes with a flourish turning towards the Russian Admiral.

"Come Admiral, there must be something to spur you on - think of all the men lost during the war between your own Russia and Japan. What was that twenty years ago nearly, so you would not have been an Admiral then, but you would have been part of this conflict I am sure. Sorry to put you on the spot like this my friend, but time is of the essence." Psychology roll on Admiral Kolchack (1d100=67) - oops fail - 67/45

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:17 am
by Tabs
"It has been a good while since the women escaped," says Kolchak; "and, I have no desire to remain here! So, let us, all of us, get going." He seems revitalised. "If Santiago carries the Italian, like he suggested, and you, Doctor, lend me your shoulder to lean upon, and you, Otto," calls Kolchak to the Professor, "come down; now, which route do we take?"

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:38 pm
by aine
"Damn, we're out of time. Is anyone else able to carry the Italian? I'd like to have the rifle handy, at least until we are away from the soldiers then I can help with the load. If this is the only exit we'd best leave immediately and follow the side of the mill away from the soldiers; hopefully we can skirt around them and head after the women. I have some extra ammo, does it fit your rifle Admiral?"
ooc,If no one else can carry the italian, Santiago will do so. If he has the option he will lead the way with the rifle fully loaded.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 pm
by Cearlan
"Agreed, then I suppose I'll have to carry him then Santiago, sorry Admiral, looks like my supporting shoulder is spoken for." Renwick smiles wryly "Do you think you will be ably to manage by yourself?"

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:13 am
by Tabs
"Of course," answers Kolchak. "Otto, your shoulder." He hobbles over to the Professor.

Outside, and racing towards the back door of the water mill is a thundering tread, the squelch of displaced mud, and blowing and panting like a human steam train.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:04 am
by aine
"Thank you Doctor. Okay let's..." Santiago whips round at the sound of something like a hippo outside the backdoor. "Is there any other way out of here?" He asks frantically and raises the rifle to aim it at the back door.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:21 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick flattens himself against the wall where the door lies so that he can attack from the rear if needed, probably going for the back of the knee so the onrushing intruder would be at a disadvantage, also ensuring he is out of the line of fire should Santiago need to make use of his weapon.

"I'll get whoever this is behind the knee if needed which will make it easier for us all to deal with if he is prone."

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:51 am
by Tabs
I have some extra ammo, does it fit your rifle Admiral?"
Admiral Kolchak holds up the fowling piece--it is an ancient single barrel shotgun--for Santiago's inspection. "I have another five cartridges, beside the one inside of it." Santiago's "Type 99" rifle is a breach loaded--it can hold 5 cartridges, bolt action weapon that fires a different cartridge; he's fired 2 of 5 and Renwick found a further 12.

~

"Hippo" is a very apt description. Crashing through the screen door--

and he is carrying--Image

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:37 pm
by Cearlan
As the 'hippo' bursts through the door, Renwick takes careful aim at behind the sumo wrestler's knee. Blow to back of Tatsuo's knee. (1d100=64) - Miss 64 / 25 Fortunately he recognises the back of the wrestler and manages to 'miss' his shot. Spinning quickly he slams the door shut behind him.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm
by aine
Santiago pulls up the rifle to avoid shooting the big Japanese man. "They'll have heard that all right!" He exclaims.
ooc,I rolled if necessary: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4016465/]1d100=92[/url]. How many rounds did Renwick take from the soldier in the mud?

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:29 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo stops like a deer caught in the headlights. He drops his mother on the hard wood floor and poohs himself just a little. His hands swing up in surrender, the fat of his arms coming to rest no less than seven seconds later.

It is Tatsuo-san! Do not kill me cuz I am Japanese. The soldiers are right behind me!!

Tatsuo's mother Arashi hits the floor hard and groans. She is far too dazed for her usual coarse commentary but anyone who had spent any time with her on the train know that it is soon coming.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 pm
by Tabs
[ooc: Renwick found 12 cartridges to add to the 3 inside the rifle.]

As Tatsuo clenches his flabby buttocks something rolls in between his ankles--

A banshee cheer from outside behind Tatsuo, as well as from the front of the water mill:

"BANZAI!"

[ooc: I want to know where everyone is and what they are doing. I'll post a map of the water mill (probably tomorrow).]

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 am
by Tabs

[ooc: Any questions, just ask!]

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm
by aine

"Grenade!" Santiago shouts, he dives between the sumo's legs for the rolling object (the grenade), grabs it and attempts to throw it back out the door towards the soldiers he assumes threw it.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 pm
by Cearlan
As I said I was standing against the wall beside the door that Tatsuo came through, I'll remain there - rooted to the spot.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo's eyes dart to his mother lying on the floor and widen with horror at the prospect of her exploding into a thousand evil pieces. He crouches in his best sumo stance and reaches for the grenade attempting to hurl it between his legs and back out the door from which he came.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 am
by Tabs
Renwick: quickly he slams the door shut behind him.

[ooc: It's a screen door which Renwick slammed--slid shut--but the door doesn't have any glass, so the grenade was pushed through in between its wooden bars.]

"Here they come!" warns Kolchak. He swivels upon his good leg and fires back through the internal door of the water mill. The ancient fowling piece flashes "BOOM" and immediately obscures the Admiral in a cloud of black powder.

Santiago deftly picks up the grenade from beneath the clutching hands of Tatsuo and lobs it outside, instantaneously an explosion rips the night with fire and death; the price of Santiago's bravery is a bullet wound [courtesy of Mad Dog] to the shoulder.

"CLANG" Professor Eichelstein's rusty cutlass crosses with a modern steel blade; the cutlass shatters and Eichelstein collapses clutching his arm. Sergeant Takahashi, sword raised, sprints into the room,--like Jesse Owens on cocaine--unleashing his spite on Doctor Renwick.

"Banzai!" cries a soldier who leaps into the room, and rushes--with bow legs--at Tatsuo. This one is armed with a rifle tipped by a wicked bayonet.

[ooc: Santiago's wound causes a 4 h.p. loss. Okay, I'll rule that Round 1 is finished, now: Round 2. My rulebook says that during a melee if you wish to Parry, state you are going to try at the beginning of the Round. Santiago and Renwick can act first this Round, Tatsuo can act after his attacker.]

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - I have never had a character with Martial Arts before. Can anyone quickly explain how it works for me? DO I just use my martial arts for attacking or is it a replacement for defense as well. Either way, If Tatsuo can use it to parry the bayonet, he will. If not, then he will try to sidestep the man (dodge) and if possible strike him with a viscous sumo slap!

Arashi stares up at the man who saved her from the grenades wicked explosion and smiles. As the soldier rushes in, the old woman pulls herself to her feet and takes cover behind the mill stone.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:28 pm
by aine
Santiago keeps rolling across the floor away from the door and charging feet, his ears ringing from the explosion. He tries to ignore the pain in his shoulder, reminding himself how much worse it would have been if the grenade had gone off in the confined space. He gets up and swings round ready to aim the rifle again...
ooc,... in the next round(?) not sure how much he can do in this round, he'll be trying to take down the officer (again!) Are Renwick, Santiago and Tatsuo by the back door (by the bridge)? And is this the door the officer and Banzai soldier have leapt through?

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 pm
by Cearlan
OOC is it alright to assume that the good Doctor would have kept hold of the Katana - otherwise he would have been weaponless - the bullets from the soldier were passed over to the muddy Santiago in the field. Assuming he does have the Katana he shell swing a mighty blow in the general direction of Sergeant Takahashi.

The katana whistles through the air (ARRRGGGGHHH!!!! what a time for Invisible Castle to go offline)

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:05 am
by Tabs
[ooc:

aine
Yes, if Santiago is rolling round (where to?), and then aiming his rifle, he cannot act again 'til Round 3. You three are in the room at the back of the mill, Santiago threw the grenade outside and it exploded over the bridge. Takahashi and "Banzai" have leapt through the internal door (they got in through the front door).
Cearlan
Yes, Katana ready, only 15% I'm afraid. OR Grapple 25% (see below).
DSIGFUSS
Mr. Handy wrote: To parry a weapon while unarmed, you would have to roll Grapple to grab the enemy's arm (you do not need Martial Arts to do this). If you make two successful Grapple rolls, you disarm your opponent and take the weapon.

See his post in topic "ooc" for a full explanation of Martial Arts. So, to avoid being spitted on "Banzai's" bayonet I reckon that Tatsuo Dodge 24% or Grapple 25% (to parry)--succeed twice and Tatsuo disarms the Jap.]

Renwick faces up to Takahashi . . .

"Banzai" thrusts his boyonet towards Tatsuo's gut . . .

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 am
by Tabs
[ooc: Regarding my previous post, I was trying to figure out the percentages in order to parry. Of course, Renwick acts first, so he can Punch the bastard . . . Also, if invisible castle is down, feel free to roll dice.]

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 am
by Cearlan
OOC,As invisible Castle is down, I rolled at Dark and Moody http://darkandmoodyforums.com/cgi-bin/d ... olldisplay and rolled a 9% and a 12% :o wish I'd gone for the Katana now :roll:

Takahashi swings down from top left with his katana(?), obviously expecting an easy strike against his 'Gaikoku no inu' foe, who whilst having a Katana in his belt is unarmed. However, as the Japanese sergeant thrusts forward and down, Renwick sees the soldiers intent and manages to duck inside the arc of the deadly blade, grabbing the startled soldier's wrist with his left hand. With his forearm behind the shocked soldier's elbow, he uses the soldiers forward momentum to swing him around, managing to crash him against the wall of the mill and is somewhat surprised to see that by sheer luck he has been able to grab Takahashi's katana from his hand.

"Now you bastard ... let's see how you like it." Renwick hisses as he grips the strange sword in his right hand.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 pm
by aine
Santiago rolls into the corner by the mill stone where he has distance to shoot.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:56 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo lifts a mighty fat foot into the air as the soldier charges. He swivels in a round house kick bu his royal purple traditional Japanese slippers find nothing but air.
ooc,I also rolled on Dark and Moody. Thu Apr 11 2013 12:35:36 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) dsigfuss 3 d 100 0 martial arts 98 - Miss Kick - 83 - Miss Parry - 64 - Success
Arashi stares wild eyed and smiling her wicked grin up at Santiago as the chaos begins.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 am
by Tabs
"Banzai" thrusts his bayonet deep into Tatsuo's gut . . . however, before he does the disemboweling, "BOOM" the shot from Admiral Kolchak's fowling piece takes the soldier's head clean off.

Sergeant Takahashi is utterly distraught--losing his sword to the foreigner. The shame, the loss of face, too, is unbearable.
The Jap. of "honour" pulls a grenade off of his belt, holds it to his stomach, and prepares to pull its ring . . . [Takahashi's actions for Round 2 are complete.]

[Round 3, order of actions: Santiago and Renwick, Takahashi, Tatsuo. N.B. If Takahashi is subject to a melee attack (from Renwick) he gets the chance to parry.]

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:08 pm
by aine
With no absolutely no hesitation, this time, Santiago raises the rifle and aims at the persistent officer. He pulls the trigger and then reloads immediately.
roll,I haven't registered with Dark and Moody yet, will do when more time, so here's a photo: [img]http://i48.tinypic.com/72ay3o.png[/img]

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:24 pm
by Cearlan
With his face set in a grim expression, Renwick swings the blade but he finds that the taking of a life goes against all his years of training and experience and he just cannot land the fatal blow he had hoped for.

Dark and Moody roll Fri Apr 12 2013 15:14:38 GMT+0100 18% - needed 15% to hit - unless there's bonuses for striking from behind etc. - you gotta ask or you don't get!

Then he sees, too late, the grenade in the insane Japanese sergeant's hand.

If he gets time he'll call out "Grenade!" and try to throw himself against the Soldier to see if he can force him or the pair of them through the wall

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:21 am
by Tabs
DSIGFUSS,See topic "ooc" regarding skills, bayonets, etc.
aine,Sergeant Takahashi, who is fighting Renwick, is the subordinate of Officer Saitou, who Santiago trussed up on the field.
Santiago's shot shatters the spine of the Jap Sergeant whose existence ceases from that instant.

Renwick begins: "GREN--"; but Takahashi falls to the earth and his unarmed grenade rolls harmlessly away.

Admiral Kolchak's first "BOOM" to Santiago's final shot was a matter of moments. Silence; the atmosphere is a cloud of settling dust.

Re: Millet Field [Cearlan, aine, DSIGFUSS]

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 am
by Tabs
[ooc: "Banzai" lost his head, and only imagined bayoneting Tatsuo.]

Admiral Kolchak lets his fowling piece drop from his hands. "Otto, are you still with us?"

"I think my arm is broken," replies Professor Eichelstein from where he is sprawled upon the floor. He looks round at the carnage: Sergeant Takahashi crumpled, with a most unhappy expression on his evil face, and "Banzai," who doesn't have a face at all.

"Are there any more?" asks Eichelstein.

"There were others," says Kolchak, "outside the back door, but the Señor gave them a taste of their own medicine!"

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:45 am
by aine
ooc,Sorry, I haven't been able to log on the last few days.
Santiago lowers the rifle with grin through the clearing smoke; it's been one hell of a night so far. "This place has been as lively as a local fire festival, and as brightly lit. Too many unwelcome guests though." He flexes his shoulder and then takes a look at it, he really wants a wash and a bandage. "We'd better hobble out of here; we only held the place through luck." He gives a hand to the old lady lying on the floor, "Senora?" and then looks to Tatsao, "Sir, why did you rush back here? Where are the other passengers?"

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick picks up the fallen katana and grenade then looks at Santiago to thank him. Renwick says as he approaches the Spaniard.

"I'd like to thank you for shooting the mad Japanese sergeant there. He was about to pull the pin on this grenade." He then notices Santago flex his shoulder before adding "Here Santiago, let me look at your shoulder."

Dark and moody dice roller Tue Apr 16 2013 13:59:07 GMT+0100 75 / 75 - success.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 am
by Tabs
[ooc: Dr. Renwick has restored 2 h.p. to Santiago by giving First Aid.]

Admiral Kolchak places two fingers upon the jugular of Mario Giovanni. "The Italian is dead."

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:01 pm
by DSIGFUSS
aine wrote:Image
"Sir, why did you rush back here? Where are the other passengers?"
Tatsuo stares blankly at Santiago, a look of subdued nervousness on his face. To answer.. His mother surges forward.

That Chinese hussy Mae left us to die on the road like dogs.

Arashi holds her son by the fat of the arm and pats his belly in a motherly fashion.

My poor Tatsuo is too fat and got stuck in the mud. Mae laughed and wished us to our doomful fate. If my boy wasn't so strong we never would have made it back here. Isn't that right Tatsuo.

Tatsuo simply nodded on command.

During her outburst, it was near impossible not to see that Arashi had lost her belt to her kimono during her ordeal. Her well aged bosum flopped about like two summer sausages left out in the sun.

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am
by Tabs
Admiral Kolchak looks away from Arashi, strangely embarrassed and trying not to smirk; he hobbles across to "Banzai" to search his pouches and pockets. Professor Eichelstein pulls his belt off his trousers and offers it to Arashi.

"Madam--your dress--er--kimono: it is without support--not that you need support--oh, God!"

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Arashi takes the belt from Professor Eichelstein and lashes it twice against a nearby rail with surprising speed and effectiveness.

CRACK! CRACK!

It was as though she were quite experienced with the belt.

Yes! This will do! Thank you very much Mr. Eichelstein.. I thought all white men were devils until this night. It pleases me to meet such kind and noble white gentlemen.

Arashi quickly ties back her Komono and grins affectionately at Professor Eichelstein.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm
by aine
Santiago waits patiently as Dr. Renwick administers to his arm. "Many thanks, Henry, as good as new!" He says Renwick's first name almost shyly but feels they have been through enough together to be over surnames. He hides a smile as the old bat fumbles with her kimono and is then quite alarmed as she wields the belt and he flinches, causing Renwick to have to retie the bandage, he wonders if she was ever a lion tamer. "Maybe it is for the best that the man has died, Admiral. We'll move faster without him."

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 am
by Cearlan
"If we have enough grenades, could we perhaps booby-trap the doors for when the Japanese scum come a-calling." Henry suggests. "Could this be achieved quickly do you think?"

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 am
by Tabs
Arashi said: "It pleases me to meet such kind and noble white gentlemen."
Professor Eichelstein gulps and stutters something unintelligible.

"Yes, first names are in order," says Kolckak, "but I do like 'Admiral'"--smiling--"it reminds me of home, before the Bolsheviks." He replies to Santiago: "It is sad to think that there is no one to weep over the Italian. I agree though: now he is dead we'll move faster. What did Dr. Chee say? 'Honour the living and remember the dead.'"

Admiral Kolchak peers through the screen to outside. "I reckon two or three soldiers got caught by the blast over the bridge; I cannot see any bodies."

He says to Renwick: "We've only got the one grenade. Anyway, we'd kill the miller with a booby-trap!

"Time to go, I think?"

Outside it has stopped raining. The time is midnight.

[ooc: Anyone who walks on to the bridge may roll Spot Hidden.]

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:03 am
by DSIGFUSS
Arashi eyes Henry immediately after his Japanese scum comment. Her look lies somewhere between knife in the dark and emergency testicular surgery. She quickly recovers, however, smiling playfully at Santiago.

Yes! We must move swiftly. The militia will already be coming for us.

Tatsuo waddles behind close to his mother.
spot hidden,- spot hidden roll (dark and moody) 94 : fail

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 pm
by aine
"Has everyone got a weapon?" He looks at the old woman and decides she doesn't need a weapon; her tongue is sharp enough. Santiago reloads the rifle and then peers out the door. If it looks clear, he'll stay low and scuttle to the end of the bridge to cover the others' exit.
spot hidden,Just had to re-register for D&M for some reason. Old dice method= 79

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:19 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo shakes his head to Santiago's question. The sumo was a weapon in his own sense and did not feel comfortable toting around a rifle with his clumsy fat fingers his mother seems all too eager to remind him of.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm
by Cearlan
"Would a Katana be of any use to you Tatsuo?" asks Henry innocently. "I appear to have gathered both the Japanese Sergeants as well as Saito's along with this handy bayonet. And what of you madame?" he asks Arashi. Seeing the venom in her eyes, he suddenly realises that the comment he made earlier may have been offensive ... "Dear lady, I do hope that you did not take the comment i made earlier to include yourself? It was aimed at the people who were going out of their way to kill us all, <cough> including yourself. I apologise for any offence caused. Please remember it was said in the heat of the moment."
Spot Hidden roll,Dark and Moody - Tue Apr 23 2013 22:47:59 GMT+0100 61/45 - fail

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am
by Tabs
Admiral Kolchak clasps "Banzai's" rifle,--with 10 cartridges in his jacket pocket--he puts his other arm round Professor Eichelstein. Kolchak still has the fowling piece, so Renwick can have the rifle if he wants?

Kolchak whispers to Renwick: "I wouldn't apologise to that withered crone, but she is likely to stab you in the back! Maybe it is wise to do so."

Santiago cannot see any trace of the soldiers; he guesses they were blown into the stream . . . ? but it is too dark to see. There is a track in front of him, to his left and right, and on its other side a low dike, beyond that are the paddy fields.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tastuo bows quickly to Henry and takes one of the Katana. He shakes his head shortly so that his mother cannot see when the man offers one to Arashi. He quickly pushes it back into Henry's arms and tends to his mothers kimono.

Arashi pushes his fat son aside and bows low to Henry. Her eyes brighten now and she holds out her hand for the sword.

You are forgiven my dear and how thoughtful of you to consider the safety of this poor old woman. My grandfather was a Samurai and I learned a few of the simpler kata in my youth. I am certain I will put the sword to good use unlike my fat fumbling son.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:19 pm
by aine
"It seems clear." Santiago whispers back across the bridge. "We'll make more ground following the track and we can always jump into the dyke next to it if we need to hide. Which way do we go? Left or right? I don't know my way around here."

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick asks, "Tastuo, where were the rest of the party heading before your return? Maybe we could follow them."

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:32 pm
by Tabs
Admiral Kolchak joins Santiago. "Left? the track must meet the train line which runs to Chengchow; right? I do not know, but there must be a village nearby . . ."

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 am
by Cearlan
Renwick stands up and says;

"Well then my friends, let us make haste whilst we can - our ..." he steals a look at Arashi and coughs politely "... yes our enemies will not be tardy in the least and will be out to avenge the way we have dealt with them so far. I will assist Admiral Kolchack with his injured leg. Here Admiral, let me get my shoulder under your arm."

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo looks nervously at the men and points to the tall grass outside the mill.

His mother Arashi slaps his hand down and scowls at her son.

You oaf of a son!

She then looks back to Santiago with friendly sparkling eyes..

They ran into the high grass behind the mill following some dim witted fool commoner. We did not see where they were headed as my fat son got stuck in the mud and were forced to retreat back here.

Arashi bats her eyelashes..

Though, I cannot fault him for this.. We would never have met up with you gentleman if my son were not so fat the wet earth nearly swallowed him whole.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:17 am
by Tabs
"Thank you, Doctor," says Admiral Kolchak.

[ooc: Left or right? Straight on across the paddy fields is likely to end in disaster: it's dark, and you don't have a guide.]

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 am
by aine
"Madame, you are wise to fear the paddy fields. Who knows where right heads, into the wilds? I vote we go left, make our way to Chenchow and civilisation." Santiago finishes with a wry grimace.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 pm
by Cearlan
"If nothing else, going straight ahead will be the harder path to follow ... and therefore the slower. I would have the roads guarded if I were in charge of the - in charge of the Japanese soldiers." Renwick adds after looking at Arashi.

"Either way would be as good as the other in my book, so if you think Chenchow is a better option, then I will have to fall in with your greater knowledge."

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am
by Tabs
Renwick, Santiago, Tatsuo, Arashi, Kolchak and Eichelstein follow the track to the left.

The clouds part, letting moonlight reflect from the surface of the paddy fields.

Image[/URL]

[ooc: If you wish to roll a skill which you feel maybe useful, do so!]

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm
by aine

Santiago keeps a look out for enemy activity but it is too dark to see much. His feet are sodden and the mud has caked dry to his skin but he is feeling good and pleased to be on the way. He keeps the rifle ready.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 pm
by Cearlan
Supporting the injured Admiral as best he can in these torrid conditions, Renwick attempts a bit of levity to try and raise the Russian's spirits by saying quietly to him;

"Well Admiral, it appears that our very own Santiago el Aguila has something of an ardent admirer. We may well have to watch out in case he get's taken advantage of in the night don't you think?" His mud caked features crack into a wide grin as he finishes this last sentence.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc,tatsuo listen 42 - pass Spot hidden 76 - fail - http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4040722/

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am
by Tabs
aine,Did you stop at a pub with internet connection?
Santiago leads the way along the track.

"The idea makes me shudder!" replies Kolchak to Renwick. "Hush, though, if the crone overhears you she may . . . No! I cannot continue with that train of thought: I feel a little faint as it is.

"Thank you for your support, Doctor--Renwick--Henry, and I'm glad I didn't die inside the mill, Henry. I'm beginning to get angry: a rage I wish to vent on the perpetrator of tonight."

Tatsuo and Arashi follow.
DSIGFUSS,Tatsuo hears a motor gunning, the sound comes from across the paddy fields. Looking towards the sound he sees two lamps together, which flash as if swinging round from him, and then they disappear from view.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:41 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick chuckles when the Admiral says the thought of Arashi and Santiago makes him feel faint. However, he is also aware that loss of blood could be a factor here, but he is professional enough to cover his fears up.

"Anger, I have found, is a great motivator providing it is used correctly. Don't let it eat you up my friend, but here am I a humble doctor telling a Tsarist Russian Admiral on how to motivate himself. Either way I am glad you have the taste for life once more, for I am sure that the world would be all the worse should you fail."

Edit - Change allegiance of Admiral Kolchack

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo squints off in the distance across the rice patty fields. He then suddenly picks up his mother Arashi and looks to his new companions.

I hear a motor! Perhaps they have found a car! I saw lights.. We must hurry if we are to catch up to them. Come quickly.

With that, Tatsuo charges into the rice fields in the direction he thought he saw the lights. Arashi curses in Japanese as her oaf of as son treats her with as much care and finesse as one might give a sac of rice flour.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 am
by Tabs
[ooc: Kolchak is a Tsarist, not a Bolshevik. :D ]

"I commanded the Battleship Potemkin, but that was 15 years ago. My title of 'Admiral' is purely for show: it seems to impress the Chinese! I'm a businessman now, Henry, the head of a security firm employing White Russians--ex-Imperialist soldiers: we are all middle-aged men now.

"Your words are very kind. I'm afraid the world will forget us." Kolchak doesn't sound too morose.

"You said that 'Anger is a great motivator.' Are you referring to your banishment from England?"

• ~

Tatsuo charges into the paddy fields and promptly sinks in the watery gumbo, and becomes stuck.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 pm
by Cearlan
"Aye, the world will eventually forget us as individuals, but is it not more important what we do rather than who remembers us. I have seen, still see sometimes ..." Henry smiles ruefully to himself "... such horrible horrible things from the Great War, things that the world will soon forget. Only someone who has lived through such things can understand. You can see it in other people's eyes if they have been there or not. You have the mark my friend."

"Is it not funny how the bad things tend to get glossed over when we look back. Yet does the memory of the individual sacrifice mean any more or any less than the collective whole? People with the mark tend to know how to channel their anger quite well, though there are some who do not. Was I referring to my banishment, perhaps subconsciously I was, though at certain times I see that there are direct threats upon the underdog ... like when the Japanese officer came at us with his sword. However impressive it may have sounded the way Santiago told it, I had only one thought in my mind, survive ... it was him or me. I used my anger to get me through that, and again in the hut back there."

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tastuo curses in Japanese as his mother flies over his shoulder and lands in the muck dirtying her already spoiled robe even further.

Damn you Tatsuo! You stupid lummox!!! You pea brained goat!!! You moronic half wit!!! You dim witted Slob!!! You...

Arashi continues her assault on Tatsuo's intelligence as she thrashes in the shallow water of the rice field.

Tastuo flops over and begins to drag himself out of the watery gumbo back towards the rest of the group.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:59 am
by Cearlan
Renwick risks looking at the tirade unfolding before him as Arashi launches into Tatsuo before giving the Admiral a sideways glance. He swallows hard before cutting into the old woman's tirade in mid-flow.

"Arashi, is it? Madam. Please excuse my interruption but I really must insist that you cease your berating of your son. Here we are trying to escape from your countrymen, the very people who were trying to kill us, both back at the station and again at the mill. The noise you are making, may be heard by the very people we are trying to get away from, thereby alerting them to our whereabouts."

His mouth dry and his heart pounding, he continues unabashed. "So could I please ask that you either save it for a more convenient time, or preferably to stop it altogether as I quite like the idea of us all coming out of this alive as opposed to being spit on one of them swords or shot."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 pm
by Tabs
"Hear, hear," says Kolchak.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Arashi scowls at Renwick as she waits for her son to pull himself free of the muck. She does as she is told and keeps quiet while the men come up with a plan for escape.
Arashi glares through angry squinted eyes at Renwick. He cannot help but think as though the old woman were adding him to a list of some sort, written deep in the unforgiving shallows of her cold and twisted mind.

Tatsuo finally pulls himself back out of the rice paddy waters and the sumo wrestler points across the field. In a hushed whisper

Did you see the lights? Did you hear the vehicle running? I do not know how we can get to them through the field, but something is happening out there.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:20 pm
by Cearlan
"I think it might be best if we were not placing too much trust in whoever has the vehicle, at least not until we know who they are. We need to find the others first, agreed?" Renwick tries to ignore the glares he is receiving from the aged crone. "If we can wait here a while I can sneak up and see what lies over yonder." He gently lowers the Admiral down and heads off towards where Tatsuo indicates, keeping low and moving as slow as he can.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4059723/ Sneak - 30/10 - fail

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4059724/ Spot Hidden 88/45 - fail

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:19 am
by Tabs
[ooc: The vehicle which Tatsuo saw was on the other side of the paddy fields, 200 yards from the track. I'll try a "text" map, imagine the characters are at the word "TRACK." The arrow shows the direction of the vehicle according to Eichelstein.]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ->

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . P A D D Y F I E L D S

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX T R A C K XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Water Mill

"I saw its head lamps as well. The vehicle is heading away from us . . . "

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:26 pm
by Cearlan
As Renwick steps into the paddy field he totally misjudges the depth of the water and crying out he falls head-first into the mire and flounders until he can right himself, coming up gasping for air. He eventually manages to drag himself back onto the track once again, deeply embarrassed by the incident. He looks at the group one by one and apologises for his clumsiness, but when his gaze settles upon Arashi, he is sure that she somehow was behind his misfortune ... "Is the old hag really a witch?" he thinks to himself as he shivers in the cold.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:43 am
by Tabs
Cearlan,You've changed your avatar. Who is it?
Professor Eichelstein, with his good arm, helps the doctor out of the paddy field. "Deeper than you thought?"

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm
by aine
Santiago hides his irritation at all the noise and turns back to Tatsao. "Senor, you must stay quiet whatever happens. Please try to think before you act." He is alarmed to see the old woman's robe becoming loose again as it hangs heavy with muddy water. "Senora, your robe; please try to keep warm." Then he helps Dr. Renwick out of the mud with Eichelstein. "Two baths in one night Henry!" He grins, "Let's follow the track, it ought to lead somewhere useful (unless we are following it the wrong way!) and at least it does not involve swimming. We'll get to the road carefully and spy out the traffic before we make ourselves known."

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 pm
by Cearlan
Tabs wrote:
Cearlan,You've changed your avatar. Who is it?
Got it from the gallery of male avatars in the user control panel. Who he is / was I have no idea
Tabs wrote:Professor Eichelstein, with his good arm, helps the doctor out of the paddy field. "Deeper than you thought?"
"Thank you Professor - yes both deeper and a lot colder as well!" chuckles Renwick, his nerves starting to play up a little at what originally started out as a pleasant night's entertainment has so quickly devolved into this sorrid state of affairs.
aine wrote:Santiago hides his irritation at all the noise and turns back to Tatsao. "Senor, you must stay quiet whatever happens. Please try to think before you act." He is alarmed to see the old woman's robe becoming loose again as it hangs heavy with muddy water. "Senora, your robe; please try to keep warm." Then he helps Dr. Renwick out of the mud with Eichelstein. "Two baths in one night Henry!" He grins, "Let's follow the track, it ought to lead somewhere useful (unless we are following it the wrong way!) and at least it does not involve swimming. We'll get to the road carefully and spy out the traffic before we make ourselves known."
"Sorry Santiago, that did not help much after all I'm afraid - let's move on then." Henry sighs, disappointed with himself and embarrassed at malking a bit of an ass of himself - though he is not so sure the Japanese witch may not have played her part in that before he dismisses the thought as unworthy of his professional status.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:25 am
by Tabs
He is alarmed to see the old woman's robe becoming loose again
--as is Admiral Kolchak.

They arrive at an embankment of shale, crowning it is the train line which shines in the moonlight of the--now--cloudless night. The track they have walked upon stops, but the stream beside it runs through a waist high tunnel. The Golden Pumpkin--unlit and silent--is a quater of a mile away to their left, and to the right the train line disappears, en-route to Chengchow.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am
by aine
Santiago's spirits drop when he sees how close they are to the Golden Pumpkin still. He's tempted to head back there to look for clues but realises it's a bad choice with the wounded in the party. But he smiles to himself at the thought of Tatsao sleuthing through the restaurant. "Well Senors, it looks like this is the wrong end of the track after all. We could follow the rail line towards Chenchow; we'll make faster progress on the rails but we'll be lit up. Does anyone know how far it is? We could go back to the restaurant, hoping the soldiers have gone; or we could pick up that road where we saw the car." He shrugs.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:50 pm
by Cearlan
"Either way, we cannot just abandon the women and head off in a new direction. But I do agree that this plan may not appear to be as good as we first thought it was. I am open to any and all suggestions, and am happy to fall in with the rest of the group" Henry says. He looks at the wounded in the party and realises that they cannot go on much longer without resting. Catching Santiago's eye he tries to convey his concerns to the Spaniard, but sees what he believes are the same thoughts reflected there.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:34 am
by Tabs
"Chengchow is a major city," says Kolchak, who is sat on a tussock of grass, "it must be four hundred miles away; but there are towns and villages on the way . . . Whatever, I cannot make it too far: my thigh is leaking blood, again."

Professor Eichelstein gasps: "Look! Look behind us." Back along the track two glowing headlamps are moving towards them. "Hold on, they appear to have stopped."

"Beside the water mill, I bet," answers Kolchak.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:54 pm
by aine
"Everyone down! Keep in the shadows. Can you see what is happening Professor? If there is any sign of them coming this way we'd better get into the water tunnel and hide." Santiago wonders if Tatsao will fit and isn't happy with crawling into the dark with the old woman. For several reasons. He looks at the Admiral with concern. "We need to get you somewhere dry and clean where you can recuperate, old friend. You must be worried about Senora Kolchak too. I wish we knew where the mission was." Chenchow was much further than he had ever thought.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo is at the height of his discomfort on this perilous journey and does not like the idea of walking to the nearest city.

He whispers to the others, careful of taking Santiago's advice to be more quiet during these dangerous times.

Perhaps we could take that vehicle... If we snuck up on the driver while they were inspecting the Mill... I fear that my poor mother will not make the journey and the admiral is need of skilled medical attention.

Arashi seems distant, wet and cranky..

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 am
by Cearlan
Renwick administers what first aid he may to the Admiral

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

As he works on the Russian he adds, "Well Chengchow is out then but I reckon that that is the direction we should head. I believe that the Japanese will be less likely to either come from or go to remote villages seeking us out. I still cannot fathom out why this has happened!" he adds with finality

"Does anyone else need my aid?" he asks

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 am
by Tabs
Santiago said: "Everyone down! Keep in the shadows.
Kolchak and Eichelstein hunker down at the edge of the track in the moonlight shadow of the embankment.

"No sign, Señor." Eichelstein snaps his fingers. "The miller--he was going to lead the women across the paddy fields to the Catholic Mission; those lights--the head lamps of a truck?--down the track, perhaps they are the same ones which I saw just now?"

[ooc: Eichelstein said previously:
"I saw its head lamps as well. [Across the paddy fields.] The vehicle is heading away from us . . . "
]

"Thank you, Henry, once again," says Kolchak after the doctor re-dresses his wound. "Without your skill I would have expired long ago."
Renwick said: "Does anyone else need my aid?"
Eichelstein tucks his broken arm inside his jacket where the arm is supported. "I am okay, doctor, thank you."

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 am
by Cearlan
"As you wish professor." acknowledges Henry with a curt nod. "Let us hope that the miller has taken the others to the mission. Perhaps we should head for that location as well, if only we knew where it lay."

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 pm
by aine
"I wish we could find the mission. Any local would know where it is. In the meantime, how about ambushing that truck? If they are friendly they can give us a lift. If not, then we take over." Santiago looks at the old woman as he formulates a plan.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Arashi forces a smile for Santiago. She had never been to the dentist in all her longs years of being a salty old crone.

Tatsuo nods, happy that Santaigo was reiterating his suggestion to commandeer a vehicle of some description, even if it meant taking it by force.

Hai Sanrtiago! I will help you take that truck.

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 pm
by Tabs
During their conversation the truck, parked up beside the water mill, has had its head lamps and engine cut.

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 pm
by Cearlan
"Oh-ho!" exclaims Renwick aloud. "This looks more promising. Maybe they have gone to investigate something in the mill." trying to sound more hopeful than actually felt.

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo looks to Renwick.

Can we start the truck if they did not leave the keys?

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 pm
by aine

"Why would they remove the keys? Let us hope for the best." Santiago flexes his shoulders. "Henry, you and I should sneak up to the truck and try to take it. Senor Tatsuo, you will follow behind far enough to be silent but close enough to offer us fast support should we be spotted. Admiral, you must lead the others to a place along the track and be ready to jump in the truck should we take it, stay hidden otherwise. Have your weapons ready but be careful who you shoot!" He shrugs, "It is only one idea, anyone else want to add to this plan? Anyone a really good driver? I'm best on a horse."
Tabs,I'm hoping this plan is feasible with the track/mill/paddy fields layout?

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:44 pm
by Tabs
"Good luck, Señor, Doctor, and you, too, Mr. Sumo," says Admiral Kolchak. "Myself and the Professor will do as you say."

Professor Eichelstein touches--tentatively--Arashi on the shoulder. "Stay here with us, madam."

[ooc: The truck is about 100 yards down the track. Renwick was given a rifle by Kolchak from one of the deceased Jap soldiers. Make any rolls which you feel are appropriate . . .]

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:43 am
by Cearlan
With a tight grin to both Santiago and Tatsuo Henry checks his riflr and once he is satisfied that it is ready for action, he nods to indicate he is ready to his two companions. Turning to the Professor and Arashi he states in a matter of fact voice."Madame, you may or may not like or agree with me which is your choice, but believe me when I say that I am trying my best, as is Senor Santiago, the professor and your son. In case we do not make it please accept my apologies for any imagined slight I may have inadvertently caused you, but our situation is perilous and there is little or no room for regret or bitterness, so I bid you farewell in case I do not return. Professor, I hope we get to meet again, and soon. We will flash the headlights two times if it is safe to come forward Agreed?" he asks everyone. With that he curtly nods, his face a blank mask, before he turns and sets off towards the truck, hunkering low to avoid detection, and being careful to avoid the hole he fell into last time he tried this.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 am
by aine
Santiago hides a smile as Henry speaks; the old woman looks as unplacatory as an old fossil. He grips Kolchak's arm, nods to the others and says optimistically to Tatsao, "As silent as the grave remember." He checks the rifle is loaded and then, bent low in the shadow, he follows Renwick. He strains to see any movement around the truck before creeping to it.
rolls,Spot hidden (65) Sneak (30) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4090094/]1d100=77, 1d100=34[/url]

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:05 pm
by Cearlan
Rolls,Oops forgot the rolls :oops: [dice]1[/dice] sneak 53 /10% - not even close [dice]0[/dice] spot hidden 17 /45% success

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:48 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tatsuo waits patiently for the others to get some distance on him before he begins to make his way to the truck.

Before he leaves, his mother hobbles to his side and offers him a few words of encouragement.

Do not get yourself killed Tatsuo.. Move slowly and take care where you are stepping. Remember my son.. you are fat.

Tatsuo nods and disappears into the night crashing though the rice fields like a buffalo through a bamboo mill.

Spot Hidden 55% rolled 100
Sneak 10% rolled 41
Listen 65% rolled 48

Luck 60% rolled 61

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 am
by Tabs
[ooc: DSIGFUSS, those rolls--impressive!]

Admiral Kolchak winces when the departing Tatsuo follows on behind the Doctor and Santiago. "The clumsy oaf will get the other two shot," hisses he to Professor Eichelstein.

"I'm sure he'd be good in hand-to-hand combat: he's the 'Sea Slug' remember?" whispers Eichelstein in reply, careful that Arashi doesn't overhear.

"WAS; he was the Sea Slug, Otto," says Kolchak; "too much gorging on sushi has turned him into,"--a crunch of millet stubble--"into a deadly liability."

Renwick and Santiago, followed at some distance by Tatsuo, steathily approach the truck; the first two are 25 yards away, Tatsuo is 40 yards away.
Renwick,He sees the silhouette of two figures--one tall, one short--standing beside the truck.
Santiago,He is almost silent as he moves, almost . . .
Tatsuo,All he can hear is his own heavy breathing and clumsy tread.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:17 pm
by aine
Santiago is not religious but he breathes a prayer to any gods that may be in the vicinity that his luck may hold tonight. Unfortunately they do not speak Spanish.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick hisses quietly and holds his hand up in front of Santiago before he holds two fingers up and points out the two figures standing by the truck. He turns and makes the same gestures to the labouring Tatsuo who seems to be struggling to keep up already.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:14 pm
by aine
Santiago sinks down next to Henry. He tries to see if the figures look like enemy soldiers, with weapons, or if they are more like civilians. With the two by the truck plus at least one inside the mill it would be quite a feat to take them all at once. The only hope would be to tackle the two outside and steal the truck immediately. He signals to Henry and cups his ear with his hand. He tries to pick up any voices that may give a clue to the identity. Santiago is worried that there is little time to act. He points to himself and then ahead in the darkness; then to Henry and then ahead in the darkness but slightly more to the right than before. He begins to creep forward towards the figure on the left.
rolls,Listen (65) Sneak (30) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4095045/]1d100=39, 1d100=7[/url]

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:16 pm
by Tabs
Santiago creeps forward towards the truck, silent as an owl hunting in the dark. He overhears voices; he edges closer, Chinese is exchanged between the two beside the truck, then a despairing remark--in French.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm
by Cearlan
Henry nods understanding and turns to Tatsuo gesturing with his hand for him to advance slowly himself. "Keep close friend Tatsuo,but more important keep quiet." He raises his finger to his lips to indicate silence. He slowly edges forwards heading towards the figure on the right.

[dice]0[/dice] Sneak 33 / 10 fail

[dice]1[/dice] Listen 46 / 25 fail

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:42 am
by Tabs

"Hai, Doctor Renwick-san. You two lead, I follow."

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 am
by aine
The sound of French fills Santiago with hope; at least it's someone who can be reasoned with. Santiago gradually rises to standing, he stays in the dark so that only the two people standing by the truck can just see him. He points the rifle at the left hand person and says very quietly, "Both of you turn around very slowly and don't say a word or I will shoot you." Even if they don't speak English the quiet menace in his voice should be enough.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:57 am
by Tabs
"Sacré bleu!" says the tall one, turning round and raising his hands; Frenchy says to the little fellow beside him, "xiàng wǒ yīyàng bàn, Shaosu."--(Do as I do, Shaosu.) Gallic-accented English floats back to Santiago: "Don't shoot, sir! I am a man of God."

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:27 pm
by aine

"And I Sir, am a man of honour. I will not shoot unless you give me cause. Please do not, for all our sakes. My name is Santiago De Aguila, who are you, who is in the mill and what are you doing here?" Not wanting to alert outsiders that something is amiss he says, "You can lower your hands." He's relieved that they are not Japanese but then they could be the instigators of the whole affair so he remains cautious. He's glad to have his two friends at his back and hopes they can hear the Frenchman.
ooc,I'm not posting until Tuesday, so this post is to cover until then.

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:15 pm
by Cearlan
Following Santiago's lead Renwick rises and points his rifle in the direction of the second man. "I am, like my friend here, and yourselves it seems, all Godly men, and I am also a Medical Doctor. As such, it goes against my nature to hurt anyone without good reason. However after the events of tonight, I would suggest that you answer my colleagues questions to the fullest extent, or that will give me good reason to reassess my predisposition towards you."

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:41 pm
by Tabs
"I will not give you cause to shoot, and neither will my friend Shaosu, the miller. I am Father Pierrepont,"--

he walks towards Santiago and Renwick--"I have been looking for you." He adds: "There is no one else--alive--here; inside the mill are dead Japanese soldiers.

"A 'Medical Doctor'? the women at the mission may require your expertise."

"Tāmen huì shāle wǒmen?"--[Will they kill us?] warbles little Shaosu.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:44 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick narrows his eyes. "A mission out here that holds women ... sounds somewhat dubious to me, but if they require medical assistance then I will do what I can, though I have little or no supplies with me. Where is this Mission then Father?" He lowers his rifle and waves Tatsuo forwards. "We too have injured, and if you have supplies and medical equipment then perhaps I could trade. I do what I may for your women and maybe do a better job than simply patch up our own wounded ... agreed?"

[dice]0[/dice] Speak Mandarin 7/26 (assuming the miller is speaking Mandarin of course I understand him and even manage to reply - after a fashion.)

没有朋友......我们不会杀死你,如果你玩公平与我们联系。我们只是在寻找一些我们的同伴后成为...啊分开。 {No friend ... we will not kill you if you play fair with us. We are just seeking some of our companions after becoming ... ah separated.}

Feeling the matter dealt with Renwick shoulders his rifle. He trots back to where the others are waiting and gets the Admiral and the Professor, with assistance if anyone offers get them to the truck.

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:55 am
by Tabs
[ooc: The "women at the mission"--Father Pierrepont is referring to Elisabeth, Mingzhu, Posie, etc.

As for correct usage of Chinese language, use it as "window-dressing" only. I'm sure a native Chinaman wouldn't be able to make sense of what I have typed. :) ]

Renwick trots back to the others.

"Did you seize the truck, Henry?"

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 pm
by Cearlan
OOC,Google Translate I'm afraid - it could be anything up there but it is supposed to be what I put in ... I probably insulted your mother's great Grandfather's ghost in there somewhere - if so accept this Gaishan's most humble apologies.I assumed the women were 'ours' but played it in the dark if you get my drift.
"They are from a local mission and they have some women who need medical assistance, and as a result I can treat you and the Professor to better effect," replies Henry feeling pleased for the first time in the last few hours.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:23 pm
by aine
Santiago nods and lowers his rifle but still keeps it ready. He waits by the truck. "Who sent you to look for us, Father Pierrepont?"

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm
by Tabs

"It was a Mr. Grey, Santiago De Aguila; an important man at the British Embassy. Also at the mission is an older gentleman, a Chinese waiter, and several women, and a child. I am aware that some kind of atrocity has been perpetrated against guests of Dr. Chee at the Golden Pumpkin. . . ." says Pierrepont, his voice growing in confidence after a tense beginning.

"Come with me in the truck. In ten minutes you will all be re-united."

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:45 am
by aine
"It was as well you didn't arrive here an hour ago, Monsieur Pierrepont." Santiago says drily. He is still not totally convinced, although the Frenchman's description did tally with his memory of the other passengers. That seems so long ago! "as soon as we are all aboard, we can go. I don't think it is too healthy to stay here for very long." He scans the darkness, waiting for Renwick to return with the others. He smiles, the admiral will be pleased to see his wife.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm
by Cearlan
Henry arrives with Admiral Kolchak, Professor Eichelstein and the scowling Arashi and assists with getting everyone on board the truck, though how they manage to get Tatsuo up on the flat bed of the truck is more down to good luck than good management in Henry's opinion.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm
by Tabs

After a seven-point turn on the narrow track and the gnashing of gears, the truck, with Pierrepont and Shaozu in the cab, trundles away from the water mill.

"We made it!" exults Professor Eichelstein.

"I think we have," says a disbelieving Admiral Kolchak. "Señor Santiago De Aguila, Doctor Henry Renwick, I think I owe my life to you!" Despite his wounded thigh and being sat on a crude bench inside a jolting truck, he bows his heartfelt appreciation.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:15 pm
by aine
Santiago's teeth flash white in the darkness as he grins. "Let us hope it is not a case of frying pans into the fire!" The truck bounces horrendously down the rutted track and they hold on for dear life. "I hope it's not far. I'm looking forward to a bath and some clean clothes - and an explanation!"

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:05 pm
by Cearlan
"Aye Santiago - answers would be good things to have right now, but I fear that this rutted path is doing little good for our friends the Professor and the Admiral what with their injuries and all." replies Henry with a look of concern upon his face.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 am
by Tabs
"Do not mention frying pans, Señor De Aguila," says Eichelstein; "the memory of sizzling bacon is driving my stomach crazy!"

Admiral Kolchak scoffs: "Vodka! Vodka for me, but anything strong.

"Henry, those papers from the Jap Officer: surely, they will provide the answers we all seek?"

The truck winds its way through a dormant village and then along a raised road--thankfully, it is not too rutted--skirting the paddy fields. Within ten minutes the truck halts--

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:42 pm
by aine
"Here we go, old friend." Santiago helps Kolchak down off the truck. He lets Pierrepont lead the group into the building but puts his hand on Renwick's arm to hold him back. "This all seems too good to be true." He keeps his voice low, "Let us find out who these people are before we show them the papers. Do you think Tatsao can read? Maybe he should have a look at them on the sly, find out what's in them. Then we can make our own minds up about what's happening and who to trust." He smiles at the small Chinese man, "We are just coming!"

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm
by Cearlan
Renwick nods in assent. "I agree my friend, this is all very fortuitous, and I for one do not believe in coincidence, however happy it may seem. In fact the more happy the coincidence, the less I like it. I believe that good acts have to be created from something ... some inner quality that must be present in us all to one degree or another. Similarly evil must exist to act as a balance, for nature balances everything in it's own way. Once we are rested and have checked on the senora's, then we may find Tatsuo alone and see if either he of his terrible mother can read the orders, hopefully it is he who can help us as I would not like to be beholden to that horrible, horrible woman unless there were no other way." Bowing slightly and gesturing towards the mission Renwick follows Santiago through the door, but not before having a good look around outside

[dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden 60/45%

As he turns he walks into the door banging his head slightly on the right cheek.

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 am
by Tabs
Kolchak gingerly lowers himself off the truck with Santiago's help. He winces and puffs a little from pain and then hobbles after Pierrepont. Eichelstein follows with Tatsuo and Arashi.
As he turns he walks into the door banging his head slightly on the right cheek.

Pierrepont ushers the others along a dark, stone flagged passageway, and through another door: an orange glow is visible from beyond. Shaozu waits by the entrance, ready to close and bolt the front door--made from oak with studs and iron bands.

The time is 2 a.m.

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:59 pm
by aine

"Watch yourself; that's a nasty looking door knocker Henry!" Santiago follows the others down the shadowy corridor but stays back so Kolchak and the professor enter the room with the glow first. "I don't like the look of this, be on your guard." He whispers to his friend and surreptitiously raises the rifle.

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 pm
by Cearlan
"Very droll Santiago, them claws could have hurt me, and this face needs all the help it can get." retorts Henry with a smile. The smile quickly disappeared when he sees Santiago raise his rifle and warn him. Sof he instantly mimics him in raising his rifle. "What is it that sets you on edge?"

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:26 pm
by Tabs
[ooc:
"What is it that sets you on edge?"
--answer--without being overheard--if you wish.]

Pierrepont stands behind a Catholic grandee, who's head is slumped forward upon his breast in sleep, and gently shakes his arm.

Mr. Grey is resting,--his head lying in the crook of his arm upon a table--an ink pot, pen and paper beside his face.

Professor Pavlov is snoring in an armchair.

Li, the barman, has his elbow leaning upon the table, his face propped by his palm. When Kolchak and the others enter the mission's reception room, Li "double-takes," his elbow slips form the table's top, and he jumps to his feet.

"Lìrú quànmiǎn!" Li switches to English, a huge grin splitting his weary face: "May I serve you Gentlemen a drink?"

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:11 pm
by aine
Santiago looks, disbelieving, around the room. "Li? You're unharmed? And safe?" He lowers the rifle and catches Kolchak's face. "The women, Senora Kolchak, are they here too?" Then he frowns, "A drink in a place such as this - can you really perform miracles Li?"

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 am
by Cearlan
Henry sags with relief, almost dropping to his knees to find his friends here - for friends they had become. "Surely a drink would be most welcome Li, but I have a few things to sort out first. Does anyone here need any medical aid, other than my friend the Admiral?"

Nodding towards Santiago he gestures over to Tatsuo.. When the amiable Sumo wrestler waddles over, Heny takes him to one side and asks "are you lettered or not Tatsuo, can you read?

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:24 pm
by Tabs

"Indeed I can!" answers Li, "well, almost. I hope you all like cognac, because that is all that Father Anselm drinks--fine Napoleon brandy!" Li busies himself with glasses for the unexpected guests.

Samuel Grey shakes himself from his torpor. "Well met, you fine fellows,"--glancing between Santiago, Renwick, Kolchak and the rest--"well met!" He continues: " 'The women' are all safe asleep upstairs.

"No medical aid required, Doctor, unless you have a cure for exhaustion." Samuel Grey's expression clouds slightly: "I believe one of the Chinese girls, Dr. Chee's daughter, is--um--'mentally withdrawn' and her feet were cut and bleeding."

Father Anselm stands to shake the newcomers hands. "Welcome! Welcome to Mission Catholique de Notre-Dame, la Madone."

Eichelstein rushes forwards to embrace Professor Pavlov. "I survived: Who'd have thought it?"

"You old goat!" says Pavlov, clearly delighted.

"But of course, Dr. Renwick-san.

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 pm
by Cearlan
Looking at Tatsuo he hands him the papers and says, "Please keep these from view and translate these for me please, friend Tatsuo. But only pass on what they say to either me or Santiago only. We feel that the reason for the whole series of events may lie within these documents."

Renwick signals for Tatsuo to be cautious as Father Anselem approaches Renwick shakes him by the hand and says, "It is a pleasure to be safely within the walls of your Mission. We can hardly thank you enough for the assistance you have offered us."

Mindful of what Samuel Grey has just said, he continues; "Perhaps, if she is awake still, I could look at Dr Chee's daughter's injuries to see if there is anything more I can do for her ... and her <cough> her other condition. But first tell us what you know of Dr Chee.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 pm
by aine
Seeing Li and the two gentlemen apparently unharmed, Santiago uncocks the rifle and puts it down by the door with a relieved grin. "Cognac it is Li, if the good Father does not mind." He bows to Father Anslem, "Santiago Del Aguila Sir, at your service. Forgive us for being suspicious, we have had a difficult and adventurous night, one that would make good a good story sometime." He pauses as Li is pouring out the brandy, "One for the venerable senora too please, Li." Hiding a mischievous smile, he indicates to Tatsao's mother and then turns back to Father Anselem, "Dr Chee's daughter is here too? Can you throw any light on what has happened?"

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:14 pm
by Tabs
"Hai," whispers Tatsuo to Renwick.

"Think nothing of it," says Father Anselm; "to help our fellow man--it is why my work has brought me to China, my raison d'être."

He clicks his fingers. "Pierrepont, see if Mrs. Quan is awake?"

"Yes, Father," says Pierrepont obediently. He raps on another door. "Mrs Quan, it's Father Pierrepont, are you there?"

Li pours out a generous measure of cognac for everyone--including the venerable señora.

Samuel Grey addresses the room: "Yes, Dr. Chee's daughter, and my daughter, Mrs. Kolchak, Li's colleague from the Golden Pumpkin,"--"Mae," interposes Li,--"and the child, Posie.

"The miller led us across the paddy fields to the mission, we've been here for a few hours. To be frank, gentlemen, I never expected to see any of you again!"

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:09 pm
by Cearlan
Turning slightly away from the Admiral, Renwick claps the elder man on the shoulder ... "In truth we doubted it as well," dropping his voice lower he continued "and my good friend, the Admiral was taking it harder than he would dare to admit to anyone."

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 am
by aine
"We played hide and seek with the Japanese soldiers and it was a very close call on occasions. But they hadn't counted on the prowess of the Doctor here and Tatsao; both fiends in their own way, and the Admiral held the fort at the mill. That's why we are covered in mud; creeping up on the soldiers and taking them down before they caught us." Santiago holds up his glass, "To comrades in arms!"

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:15 pm
by Tabs
[ooc: Move to topic "Catholic Mission" and look for:
  • #
]