Act One, Scene 2 - The Ali Baba

In 1924, a team of visiting archeologists unearthed the last remaining testament of an ancient mystery...

Moderator: Aliktren

Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Act One, Scene 2 - The Embassy

Post by Aliktren »

Through the bright morning the two large embassy vehicles speed through the city with the local carts and donkeys beating a hasty retreat at their approach with shouted curses and approbations following on the warm morning air. The day is bright and warm, the storm of the preceding day seemingly a distant memory, and the city is full of life and the muezzins call loudly from the city's mosques, calling the faithful to early prayers.

As you approach Chicago House, you can see that the two police guards are still there, at the approach of the official vehicles they stir from there bored poses and watch anxiously as the cars pull into the driveway and come to a halt.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

"There's two of them there Mr Cuthbert-Mawson - now we might get some answers!" adds Terry as he points the two police guards out to the British official.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's them," says Michael. "They're for it now, they are."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Why are they still here, if they are imposters?" wonders Isopel to herself.
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

"You there!" - demands Mr Cuthbert-Mawson as he exits the car, "I say you there! - what are you doing standing outside Chicago House, what has happened ?"

The two police share nervous glances and then haltingly at first and then after Mawson has introduced himself, with more confidence as they watch Mawsons mouth slowly hang open, tell the increasingly stunned looking civil servant about the several bodies that have been found inside, the disarray, and the missing children and mother, the fact that one person has been arrested..

Mr Mawson finally looks around at you in a state of apparent shock.... "well, my dear Miss Golpert, it seems you did not reveal certain details which may have been germaine to your friends disappearance ! - what exactly has occurred here!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Michael remains silent for now, as it was Isopel who was addressed, and he's content to let her do the talking unless she needs his support. He does note mentally that the police had just implied that they had arrested Rawson, something that had been denied earlier.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Isopel looks to Michael for support.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think under the circumstances it's understandable, Mr. Cuthbert-Mawson," says Michael. "Miss Gelert was distraught when we arrived at Chicago House and found the scene there, and she quite naturally did not want to talk about it. She also probably assumed you'd already heard the news and knew about it, especially since you did not even ask why Mr. Rawson had been arrested. Shortly after we arrived, these locals showed up and he went out to greet them, at which point they promptly bundled him off. The rest of us came directly to you. I think the most telling thing is that these two men have just admitted to you that Mr. Rawson was in fact arrested, a fact which the local authorities denied when you telephoned them earlier - and they must know where he's been taken."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"We arrived at Chicago House as part of our employment to find it as you found it," interjects Terry. "As for what happened here we cannot answer as we do not know. The timing of our arrival can be supported by the taxi driver that brought us here from the train station which coupled by the arrival time of the local police should be enough to rule any involvement from any of our group." The American looks thoughtfully towards the British Consulate.

"The main questions should be where Mr Mawson is being held, why he is being detained and what can be done to rectify the situation."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

Cuthbert-Mawson considers what he has been told for a moment and then nods, "well, whatever has occurred here it would appear that several citizens of the crown are either dead, or arrested, or missing, a most serious matter"

"You sir" - he looks at the closest guard "you said that someone had indeed been arrested - where have they been taken?"

The guard looks distinctly uncomfortable to be in the spotlight but after a moment he shrugs and remarks angrily "Police Business Sir, you must let us go about our business, please leave, I have orders to watch" - he glances at this colleague and they move almost imperceptibly closer to each other, perhaps as moral support.

Cuthbert Mawsons face flushes but he says no more to the police guards

"Well my dear, I must go back to the embassy and make more enquiries about your friend and get hold of the egyptian government to discuss the events here this night, these .. " he almost spits the word "functionaries... are little use and I must consult with my superiors", can I offer you a lift to your hotel ?
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

As Mawson turns to go he hesitates and then turns back to the party, ignoring the police...

"Actually, this has been a most stressful morning, there is a bar, not a very salubrious place I am afraid but it is not far from here and serves very fine Turkish Coffee... I confess I am in need of a little refreshment, perhaps you would join me and we can discuss the events of the night in full away from prying ears and see what the Embassy can do to help ?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds like just the thing, sir," says Michael. While he would prefer a drink with alcohol, he says nothing about it. He knows that alcohol is frowned upon by the locals. Besides, Turkish Coffee is supposed to be excellent, and he doesn't mind trying it at all.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

"Why not." Aswald says, a stiff drink is probably what he was heading for next with or without the party anyway.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Isopel doesn't know what to do next. Michael and Aswald wish to join Cuthbert-Mawson at the bar. . .

She glances at the "police guards," and thinks, "But what about Mr. Rawson?" but says, "Turkish Coffee will be a welcome treat."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Heck, lead on old man ... Turkish Coffee is the best in the world, though may be a bit strong if you are not used to it." Terry says.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

Cuthbert Mawson nods and leads the way down a street, the weather is closing in again and across the desert another storm is breaking, with immense dark clouds and lightning, the thunder reverberating around Luxors old streets.

"Funny thing, these storms, never get rain for months in these parts and then all these storms, and what with the dire events this evening at Chicago House, really, it seems ill weather indeed"

"So this cafe is right around the corner, ahh yes there it is..." and he leads the way down a side street towards an unremarkable looking building.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

""They really ought to have a sign or something advertising the place," says Michael with a knowing wink as he follows. "They'd do more business that way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turkish Coffee is the best in the world, though may be a bit strong if you are not used to it."
"I must order a pot of hot water as well," says Isopel distractedly.

Squinting up at the sky, she asks Cuthbert-Mawson: "This time of year--is it the season for storms? I always imagined that Egypt had little in the way of rainfall?"
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

"This is how desserts work little girl, it's dry, dry, dry, dry, dry and then BAM! Pouring rain for days on end." Aswald informs her, being that he is probably more familiar with Egypt's weather patterns then her ambassador.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The thing is Michael, not everywhere wants to be overrun with tourists. Places like this probably depend upon it's anonymity as much as anything else - remember that Mr Cuthbert-Mawson wanted a discreet chat about what could be done." Laying a hand on Michael's arm he slows him for a second till Cuthbert-Mawson is out of earshot.

"I like this not one bit ... we seem to be placing an awful lot of trust in this limey for my liking. You may call me a paranoid and I hope for Ms G'Lert's sake, indeed for all our sakes that I'm wrong, but it would be prudent to keep our wits about us I think. We are in a strange position here and we don't know who we can really trust at present."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Death in Luxor”