Act One, Scene 2 - The Ali Baba

In 1924, a team of visiting archeologists unearthed the last remaining testament of an ancient mystery...

Moderator: Aliktren

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Act One, Scene 2 - The Embassy

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, you don't need to worry about me, mate," says Michael. "I've never made a habit of trusting British officials. I'm just hoping he'll act true to form, and that he's got bigger fish to fry than us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Act One, Scene 2 - The Embassy

Post by Aliktren »

Cuthbert-Mawson holds the door for Isopel into the Bar and waits for the men to catch up, above the door is a faded sign in Arabic and English "The Ali Baba".

The rain starts to pound down once again just as you reach the entrance. The air inside is thick with the smell of fragrant tobacco and the vinegar like smell of stale wine and last nights beer. A short bar occupies one wall. Surprisingly there are several other Europeans gracing the tables even at mid-morning, clearly the coffee must indeed be good even if the setting is less than salubrious.

A short skinny waiter hurries over and ushers you to a large table in the centre of the room and a now extremely tired and stressed looking civil servant peremptorily orders coffee for everyone and some local sweet bread, the small man scurries away into the back room.

Cutbert Mawson sits, and smiles weakly at the party, before glancing off into the middle distance

(Spot Hiddens all round I think!)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: Act One, Scene 2 - The Ali Baba

Post by Mr. Handy »

Smoke gets in Michael's eyes, and he can't see a thing. He pulls out a chair for Isopel.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: Spot Hidden at "Ali Baba" (1d100=95) ]

"Thank you, Mr. Cuthbert-Mawson," says Isopel entering the bar; it is seedy inside and this only adds to her doubts regarding the entire episode in Luxor. Nevertheless, she sits when Michael pulls out a chair, her knees together, bag on her lap, and slightly hunched forward--she feels stressed.

"Mr. Cuthbert-Mawson, how did you find out about this place--er--I mean, their coffee must be the best in town?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Spot hidden for Terry Morton (1d100=30) Fail - 30 / 20

The aroma of various coffee's fill the air mingled with the thick smoke that floats towards the ceiling. The poor decor instantly puts Terry on his guard, but when he realises that he has spent many nights in bars a whole lot worse than this he relaxes somewhat. Looking around him he is lost in distant memories of Horatio's Bar in Singapore and Greene's Club in Cape Town, his reverie continues with a mental tour of long nights spent on Reeperbahn, de Wallen and Helenenstrasse. He almost misses the skinny waiter ushering the group to their table. As he comes back to the room only Michael is still standing having made sure that Isopel is seated.

"This takes me back." he says to the Irishman giving him a broad grin and a "man-of-the-world" wink.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4076019/ spot hidden fail
Before the waiter leaves Aswald hands him an extra bill and pulls his head close to his ear. "Put some of the 'devil juice' in mine, aight'?" He whispers. As the waiter leaves he rests his elbow on the table and massages his head lightly, willing his headache to go away.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Michael pushes Isopel's chair in once she is seated, then sits down himself in an empty chair.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

The waiter returns with the coffees, dark steaming treacle coloured cups of coffee served with small glasses of water, and in Aswalds case, an extra glass of a sweet smelling liquor.

In addition he serves up a large plate of egyptian cookies, with the scent of almonds heavy on the plate, they sit and steam gently in the centre of the table, clearly fresh from the oven.
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

Cuthbert Mawson finally drags his gaze back to the table at Isopels question, he glances away again distractedly and then focuses on Isopel... "hmm, oh despite the looks this is actually quite a good place Miss Golpert, the food is good, the coffee is good, a lot of ex-pats come here from time to time, words gets round, don't you know", he stares away again for a moment and then looks at Isopel... "Miss Gulpert you will not believe this, it seems an incredible coincidence, but that woman over there, I'm.... I am sure that is Rose Bollancher, we met once, a long time ago at an Embassy dinner I admit, but I could swear that was her"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"The Professor's wife?!" exclaims Isopel, dropping her cookie upon the floor.
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

"So you think she knows her hubby went on a killing spree and hung himself?" He takes a short sip of his drink. "Anyone wanna tell her?" He asks directing his eyes to the woman they're speaking of.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank God she still lives," says Michael. "We didn't see her at Chicago House, but we hadn't had time to go through the whole place. It's quite possible she does not even know what happened yet. Normally I'd suggest Mr. Rawson be the first to approach her, but under the circumstances, it will have to be one of us. Isopel, would you like to take the lead? She might open up more to another woman. If not, I can. I knew her husband...though not as well as I had thought."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Looking closely at her, without staring of course, Terry looks to see if she is distraught, upset or in any way aware about events back at Chicago House by her body language. He's not even one hundred percent sure he is looking at the right woman.

Psychology roll (1d100=58) nowhere near 58 / 10
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, Michael, I'll talk to her," says Isopel.

[ooc: Aliktren, is Rose B. by herself? How does she appear--depressed, crazy, tired?]
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

Rose sits alone at a table in the corner, at this time of day she makes an incongruous sight amid the bar’s other patrons, who are sipping coffee and talking.
She is alone, a suitcase rests on the floor beside her. She is dressed perhaps for travel – a sensible dress and long coat. Her dark hair is pulled back in a tight braid, tied with a blue ribbon. She has apparently worked her worked her way through a bottle of bourbon as it sits on the table next to her, and has begun on a second, drinking shot after shot from an oily jar. She looks extremely downcast, and at the moment it appears she is solely focussed on the glass and the bottle in front of her.

(OOC : Lets have another go with the spot rolls, as I am feeling generous! )
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: 2nd S.H. @ "Ali Baba" (1d100=17)--let's hear what we spot, then Isopel will chat with Rose.]
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Aliktren »

As Ispoel observes the sorry sight of rose Bollacher, she notices that there is another table on the other side of the cafe where 3 local men sit watching Rose with barely disguised interest, glancing over and occasionally talking in hunched conversation with each other. They look like Dockworkers, dressed in greasy trousers, shirts and turbans, and carry long, curved, fighting knives tucked in their belts.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Second Spot Hidden
2nd Spot Hidden (1d100=16) success 16 / 25%

Terry spots something about the whole situation.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Isopel says to the others: "See those locals, over there"--her eyes swivel--"they appear an unsavoury mob, and they seem most interested in Mrs. Bollacher." She almost adds "Watch my back!" but feels it to be too melodramatic.

She sits at Rose Bollacher's table. "Ah, a drinking companion!" says Isopel confidently and friendly-like. She takes the jar of bourbon and has a (pretend) swig,--she'd, probably, choke on the liquor--and, holding it, keeps it out of the woman's reach. "I am Miss Isopel Gelert," begins she; "bad day, Miss? . . ."
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Death in Luxor”