Page 1 of 1

Pre Game Startup Chat

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 pm
by Aliktren
We can use this thread to get us going with OOC questions, answers, background info, introductions, etc, etc.

I dont have anything meaningful to add just yet :mrgreen:

Re: Pre Game Startup Chat

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Am I right to assume this will be a slight pulp-oriented game?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 pm
by Aliktren
yes, thats correct, the cover art says it all ....

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm
by Tabs
I played D. in Luxor a couple of years ago, here at Play@YSDC. My character was named Isopel Gelert, a slightly dippy, perhaps very innocent, young woman. The game didn't progress too far; I'd like to have another go.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 pm
by Aliktren
awesome, so we are now short one :), huzzah

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 pm
by Tabs
Hopefully you'll get a few more players by the end of this weekend. :)

Edit: actually, I just visited "...I'm Thinking of Running a Game," and see that interest is there already!

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:30 pm
by Aliktren
So my counting sucks as usual ....

we have :

Tabs
Garrett
Cearlan
Mr Handy
Syrinx

So we have a quorum, thanks very much

So we need to move to character generation, if anyone has any advice happy to hear it, otherwise you just need to either decide a concept and roll him/her up or take a pregen.

Obviously with Xmas fast zooming up shall we aim to have the characters done this week, and start in earnest in the early new year ??

Anything anyone needs in the way of background or info post it up here....

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:02 pm
by Dave Syrinx
I´m aiming to play a number crunching financier of a financial institute eager for adventure, but without the boots to go with it.
"This will be exciting!"

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 pm
by Aliktren
ok, just cross posting this as it will help ...

it is recommended that the team, as a whole,have the following selection of skills:
Archeology, Architecture, Bargain, Cthulhu Mythos,Fast Talk, Locksmith, Medicine, Occult, Persuade, Sneak,and Spot Hidden.

you should also try and ensure you are in some way connected either to the Chicago House of the 1920s in Luxor (a real location... ) , Egyptology generally or you know one Professor Bollacher, famous Egyptologist of the era based at Chicago House. This will merely allow us to hit the ground with minimal preamble, not trying to railroad anyone.

if you want to roleplay the creation of the party, thats absolutely fine but not a requirement, I will post up the first two player handouts as well, as I think that will also help

the adventure will formally begin with you on a train pulling into Luxor

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Herbert Rawson is capable in Bargain, Accounting, Fast Talk and Occult. Just saying.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:48 pm
by Tabs
I'm gonna port Isopel straight from the old game of D.in L. She's good at Geology and First Aid and Listen; the first two skills are similar [ish] to Archaeology and Medicine . . . Anything and everything is open to change to suit the others.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:48 pm
by Aliktren
still waiting for character sheet from Garret I think

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 pm
by Tabs
I see Garrett has not been online since Monday. I don't know him, and it is Christmas, so . . .

Got any more Historical photographs? I like 'em a lot.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:21 pm
by Aliktren
hehe, I'll take a look, all Christmas at the folks so should have quite a bit of time after resolving my dads latest obligatory computer crisis :D

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:31 pm
by Tabs
Aerial photo of Karnak Temple.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:05 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Try sending Garrett a PM, he has been on the boards the last couple of days.
Cheers!

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 am
by Aliktren
yeah done

have you guys worked out your narrative for why you are all together or do you want to play that out at the start of the scenario via RP - your choice.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Rawson sits in one of the private cabins of the first class car, on the train soon to enter Luxor. He has prepared six pamphlets describing the financial gain of helping Bollancher with the dig at the new site. Six wine glasses rattle by a stand with two bottles of red wine as the train rocks slightly.

He hopes at least some of the twenty parties that had been offered to buy bonds in Rawson Co unlimited decide to show up.

With all things involving financial transactions, he surely needed some protection. The Irish gun for hire had been his first pick. Then he needed a face to represent his company. Isopel Gelert had been around drawing maps for Bollancher. She might be interested....

Among the rest of the people he had contacted, he needed a merchant. There were a bunch to choose from. Hopefully someone had the funds to join him.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:46 pm
by Aliktren
awesome, thanks :P

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 am
by Tabs

Isopel Gelert looks round at the furnishings of the first class car. She is used to luxury, but since her impetuous move to Cairo, Isopel has been financially "down at heel," so to speak--although her dress is made of the finest satin and her jewellery is expensive. She leafs through the bonds; and decides.

"Mr. Rawson, I'd be delighted to represent your company."

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe I'd be interested," says Michael Finn, rubbing his chin. "Will you be doing a lot of traveling in your line of work?"

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 pm
by Dave Syrinx
While the interested parties accompany Rawson in the private compartment, he looks up from the mission brief.
The Epigraphic Survey based at Chicago House in Luxor, Egypt, is directed by W. Raymond Johnson, PhD, Research Associate (Associate Professor) NELC and Oriental Institute.
The mission of the Survey since its founding in 1924 has been to produce photographs and precise line drawings of the inscriptions and relief scenes on major temples and tombs at Luxor for publication.

In September 1924 the Egyptian army rioted at the Atbara barracks, with widespread looting and pillaging. On 19 November 1924 the Governor General of the Sudan, Sir Lee Stack, was assassinated by Egyptian nationalists in Cairo, just outside the British Residency near the Garden City. At his funeral, Allenby reprimanded the Egyptian government, and shortly afterwards Zaghlul resigned as Prime Minister.
All Egyptian military units were ordered out of the Sudan by the British in retaliation. The new (appointed) Prime Minister was Ahmed Pasha Ziwar.

New elections were held in the spring of 1925, and Zaghlul was re-elected Prime Minister by a substantial majority. Ziwar called for King Fuad to dissolve the parliament and to investigate corruption in the election. Ziwar then left for a holiday in Europe. Lord Allenby ended his term in mid-1925 and was replaced by Lord Lloyd in October of that year. By November 1925 there was still no parliament or true Prime Minister, although Ziwar was still the acting PM.
In 1925, the anthropologist Henry Field, accompanied by Breasted, visited the tomb and recalled the kindness and friendliness of Carter. He also reported how a paperweight given to Carter's friend Sir Bruce Ingham was composed of a mummified hand with its wrist adorned with a scarab bracelet marked with, "Cursed be he who moves my body. To him shall come fire, water and pestilence." Soon after receiving the gift, Ingram's house burned down, followed by a flood when it was rebuilt

New elections are held in 1926. Zaghlul announced that he would not accept the leadership, but when his party, the Wafd (Al- Wafd Al-Misri, 'The Egyptian Delegation"), won by a landslide he rapidly changed his mind.
Howard Carter was entirely skeptical of such curses. He did report in his diary a "strange" account that in May 1926 he saw jackals of the same type as Anubis, the guardian of the dead, for the first time in over thirty-five years of working in the desert
8 July 1926 Rose Bollancher sends a letter to the friends of the society. Rose mentions the Luxor digs and Aaron´s obsession with them. Professor Jamieson is mentoned as a close friend.
21 July 1926 a telegram was sent from Prof Aaron Bollancher at Chicago House to friends of the society. A new crypt at Medinet Habu, second tomb in the valley of idols. The defeat of the sea people.
August 1926 , Rawson & Co unlimited is founded by Herbert Rawson to assist Chicago House employee Bollancher. Both as a help to Rose to calm Aaron down and to see if there´s any money in the project.
He stands up putting down the paper and begs Isopel Gelert to take a seat. "You are most welcome to the position, Miss. I take it you got a letter from Bollancher´s wife as well?" He offers her wine. "I thought it best if we took a look at the new site and let her know the old chap is just excited. And we might get some money out of the footage, hence the business endeavor. If it´s worth covering, we might make some winnings on it."

In reply to Finn´s doorway question, Herbert laughs friendly. "You devil you! Get over here! You´ll be as snug as a bug in a rug on this job, old fellow. We´re not tourists, right? They expect to return. We are travelers. We move from site to site. Are you considering joining up again?" He hugs the old acquaintance and offers him wine as well.