Number Five Joy Street

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Number Five Joy Street

Post by Tabs »

Dr. Renwick has been left to himself, only occasionally does a Society man, usually Feng about some chore, appear. The Doctor is making notes for his intended lecture this evening; he spends a good half hour perusing the Society's leaflets and pamphlets, though there are lots of pictures for illiterate farmers all text has Chinese pictographs and is therefore not very informative to him. He sits at the table, pencil poised over a blank sheet of paper. His eye rests upon the library book Miss Harriet.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Number Five Joy Street

Post by Cearlan »

I pick up the dog-eared copy of Miss Harriet and with my mind confused about the content of tonight's lecture. Looking through the book I scan the pages for information ... anything that may be relevant, at least to act as a starting point.

Library use 45%

As I look at the book there is nothing that seems even remotely appropriate.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The "bookmark" flutters to the floor. Dr. Renwick reads a few lines of print, but it is impossible to follow the French beyond a few well known phrases, "mon Dieu!" he thinks wryly. He closes the book and then opens its cover; opposite the title is a library ticket and several stamped dates, the last one is today's date: the book is due back at the Bibliothèque de la Chine.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

She takes the offered seat, as Lin sits she tucks her long skirt round her legs. "Thank you, sir, I would like a drink, wine, please. 'Luck,' " she laughs, "well, maybe not! You stick out like a sore toe--or is it thumb?" She adds: "Where is that pretty wife of yours?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Santiago signals to the waiter and orders some wine. "I could almost start an export service to here, for some decent Spanish wine." He waits until the wine is poured. "I hope you don't mind if I don't join you, I find it unpalatable. Elizabeth is bathing with the others but I expect they'll be back soon. So Senorita, sorry I don't know your name, are you a free lance journalist or do you work for a paper. And am I of special interest or is it just because I look like a sore thumb?" He smiles so not to seem too harsh.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Is Spanish wine so good?" she questions. "You're wife is bathing?" she looks across the street to the Turkish bath house, "Oh, I see. My name is Lin and I work for the North China Daily News. And you are interesting, Mr. Santiago--why are you in Chengchow?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Spanish wine is powerful, emotional, dramatic and exquisite on the tongue. Rather like the people." Santiago quips. "I'm afraid we are just touring; nothing exciting for the paper. We intend to visit some of your historic sites, a monastery, maybe the Pagoda of The Giant Goose if we get that far. I hope to do some game shooting too." He smiles. "We lost some of our luggage so are here to buy some more supplies and also to see some acquaintances. I expect we'll be off in a day or two. Have you seen many westerners around here recently?" Santiago secretly wonders if any of his enemies have got this far yet.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

After Santiago's quip about Spanish wine, Lin's cheeks colour perceptibly. She lowers her wine glass, "I hope you realise that I'll never be able to drink the local wine again." Lin listens to Santiago and replies, "No Westerners, not wandering around town anyway--there's a few at the hospital."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago looks relieved. "So, how free are you to report the truth here in China? I imagine it must be quite hard if the officials don't like your story." Santiago remembers the fabricated news story about the fire at the restaurant, wondering who was behind the lies.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"This is China!" she laughs. "I have to submit all pieces to an editor for 'political' approval; with this in mind I only report what I know will be published.

"Have you come from Peking? Did you see the restaurant and station that had burnt down?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago studies Lin with a critical eye. He reckons that she knows as much, if not more, than most on the subject already; any information he can get might help towards understanding what the hell went on that night. It looks light a 'fishing' competition is about to ensue. Santiago casts his bait.
"I know the place you mean, run by...oh what's his name? Has two daughters, I think. Didn't they have a party that night?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"A Dr. Chee--but I think you know that already?" says Lin. "A party--yes--lots of guests, but there is a mystery: where has everyone gone? . . ." she looks intently at Santiago.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Well, the official line that was in the papers, as you know, was that everyone died in the blaze. What makes you think that anyone survived?" Santiago returns the look.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Someone told me so, that's why! Would you like to meet Mr. Chen from the newspaper? He'd be interested to meet you."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I can't think why - unless he's interested in my holiday travels." Santiago shifts uncomfortably. "My wife, Elizabeth could probably fill him in on that much better than I could. Maybe we could come to the office in a few days?" He reckons on them being long gone by then. "And anyway, what makes Mr Chen better than you for ferreting out the gossip?" He smiles disarmingly.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I'm just a messenger, Mr. Santiago,--and a reporter of course. I'll tell Mr. Chen what you said." Lin gets up to leave.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago gets up also. "It was a pleasure to meet you Miss Lin. Give me your card and we may visit the offices in a day or two." He bows as she leaves and then looks around to see where the others may have got too - if they are still bathing they must have turned into prunes by now.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   I've posted in Elisabeth's thread that Santiago had left the café when she returned from the bath house, so let's say he tired of waiting for her and went for a stroll. When he returns, Santiago and Elisabeth see each other in the street. Go to the other topic.  

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”