Page 1 of 1

Peking-Hankow Express

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:30 am
by Tabs
Express is a hopeful misnomer; Elisabeth, Renwick and Santiago watch as the dilatory locomotive wends its way towards them through the awakening landscape of this sunny, Spring morning. It stops in-between the earth embankments of the water-filling station; as it pulls-up a conductor, with whistle and flag, jumps down opposite the party.

"Ask the conductor if important westerners can come aboard, and journey to Chengchow," requests Father Pierrepont of Mingzhu; she converses with the conductor.

Mingzhu turns round and says: "He demands payment--a bribe."

"But I've spent all of my pocket money," shrugs Posie sadly.

Santiago remembers the coins which Father Anselm gave to him; after Mingzhu haggles with the conductor Santiago pockets the remaining $10.

The guard ports their luggage into the freight wagon and everyone climbs into the first-class carriage. It is overheated inside which is a reminder that outside it is cool--the early morning frost still glistens. Father Pierrepont, stood beside the Mission's truck and shading his eyes from the low sun, waves enthusiastically as the locomotive puffs away.

The first-class carriage has two compartments: the first is packed with middle-aged men wearing old-fashioned suits, on the glass of the door is taped a poster "Swastika Society"--a kind of Buddhist Red Cross; the second is empty, apart from a young lady, who sits slumped on the velveteen upholstered bench, staring outside as the locomotive passes through a dirty, mean village.

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth has to remind herself that the Swastika means something different in this part of the world, and that it had been in use for centuries before the Nazis stole and inverted it.

"Good morning, Miss," she says, smiling at the woman.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:52 pm
by aine

Santiago peers into the first half of the carriage and then follows Elizabeth and Posie, he nods to the young woman. "May we join you in this carriage, Senora? The other half is very crowded."

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:39 am
by DrPeterson

The woman is startled by the sudden appearance in the carriage and she flashes a bright smile as she looks over you, her eyes seems to sparkle a little extra as they pass over the rugged Hispanic, but she focuses on the young woman.

"My! Aren't you the sweetest thing!"

She speaks in a heavy American accent, obviously from New England to those acquainted with the tongue, and she stands up. The woman is a towering figure, her length accented by the khaki riding trousers and high boots she is currently wearing. She takes Elisabeth's hand and presses it firmly, giving her a toothy smile. As she shakes hands with Santiago, she introduces herself.

"Please, please, sit down and tell me all about yourself. I'm Caroline Lamarr!"

Finally, she turns to Posie, leaning down to look the girl in the eyes as she pats her shoulder.

"Well, aren't you cute as a button! You'll grow up to be even prettier than your mama! I can see in your eyes that you're already very clever!"

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth takes a seat next to Caroline. "My name is Elisabeth," she says, in an accent straight out of Old England. "Elisabeth el Aguila. I'd like you to meet my husband Santiago and our daughter Posie." She gets a thrill from introducing them this way for the first time.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:56 pm
by Tabs
Caroline Lamarr said: "I can see in your eyes that you're already very clever!"

"Well, I did get top marks in my geography test," says Posie proudly. The little girl slips her arm round Elisabeth's, giggling shyly as she does so.

Mingzhu sits down, very demure, her knees tightly together, and with a thin smile upon her lips.

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:02 am
by DrPeterson

"I bet you did, darling!"

The tall woman ruffles Posie's hair and then looks at Minghzu, welcoming her in heavily accented Mandarin before resuming her seat.

"So, what brings such a fine company as yourself to the deep dark of China's bowels?"

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:53 am
by Tabs
"Zǎo ān," replies Mingzhu.

Dr. Renwick enters the compartment. "Those fellows next door are on a tour of towns and villages, reporting on sanitation and whatnot--at least, I think that's what was said!" He nods to Caroline: "How do you do, madam."

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:03 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles as Renwick appears.

"How do you do, sir? Please, please, sit down. And I thought this was going to be quiet and lonesome trip."

She laughs a throaty laugh and leans back in her seat.

"You're quite the travelling company."

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Caroline, I'd like you to meet Dr. Henry Renwick, a friend of my husband's, and our guide Mingzhu," says Elisabeth. "Both of you, this is Miss Caroline Lamarr." She addresses Caroline. "We're on our way to Chengchow, and from there to explore the interior of China. What brings you this way?"

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:51 am
by DrPeterson

"A pleasure, Dr. Renwick."

Caroline returns her attention to Elisabeth,

"Chengchow is where the party is at, my dear, or at least where the governor's yamen is. They sure do love their paperwork around here. But I'm on my way west, I'm planning to visit the Kumbum monastery in Chinghai province. I am an archaeologist, you see, detached to China by the Explorers Club."

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 pm
by aine

Santiago nods politely to the woman and then sits down next to Elizabeth. He takes her hand and holds it; he frowns, trying to look unconcerned and blasé. "This Kumbum monastery. Senora, is it famous? I haven't heard of it before."

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth smiles and squeezes Santiago's hand. "Oh, how fascinating!" she says, "We're going west too, but we're bound for Sinkiang."

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:55 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles warmly at Santiago.

Kumbum Monastery was founded in the 16th century and it is held to be one of the most sacred sites in Buddhism. It is, or rather was, home to the Tree of Great Merit, a sandalwood tree that held the teachings of the Buddha on its leaves. According to legend, the tree sprouted from the blood of Tsongkhapa, the founder of the Yellow Hat branch of Tibetan Buddhism.

She tucks a lock of auburn hair behind her ear and continues.

"I am more interested of the temple that stood on the grounds before the monastery was built. Places of worship tend to not change over the centuries and I believe that a much older religion was celebrated here before there was ever mention of Buddhism."

At Elisabeth's interjection, her eyes widen considerably. they dart to Minghzhu and then back to the English girl. She lowers her voice considerably, leaning closer.

"That is a name you should not say so loudly, Elisabeth el Aguila! That province is off limits to foreigners, what business or madness could prompt you to go there?"

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:25 am
by Tabs

"'The sandalwood tree': I have heard of it, Miss Lamarr," speaks Mingzhu in good English; she is clearly impressed with Caroline.

"Cigarette, anyone?" She pulls open a window. Mingzhu glances round the compartment, "I know you don't smoke, Elisabeth; do you, Posie?" "Really, Auntie M.," laughs Posie. Mingzhu inhales on a cigarette thoughfully.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 pm
by aine
"We are heading in that general direction. Not to that place specifically. Of course. Your temple sounds very interesting Senora Lamarr; and the religion that you speak of, does it have a name? Do you have any imagery?" Santiago's other hand goes unconsciously to his neck where a thong can just be seen.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:27 pm
by DrPeterson
"Well, I don't have any imagery -on me-, Mr Aguila."

Caroline almost purrs the words, a feline smile touching her lips.

"I am convinced that the origins of humanity can be traced to the Himalayas, it would be logical that religion existed there long before humanity spread over the world and took its beliefs with it, diluting it over time and space. The many similarities of many of the world's religions indicate this to be a more than plausible theory and I intend to backtrack as far as I can."

She pulls a hipflask from her pack, takes a sip and offers it to the fellowship as she graciously accepts Minghzu's cigarette.

"It so happens Kumbum is on the route to Sinkiang, or whatever your destination 'in that direction' may be."

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,D'oh! :oops: I'd forgotten about Sinkiang being off-limits. That'll teach me to post without sleeping. Well, [b]Elisabeth[/b] is as exhausted as I am, so we'll just chalk it up to that.

"Perhaps, since it's on our route, we could take a look at the temple with you," says Elisabeth. "It does sound fascinating."

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:29 am
by DrPeterson
OOC:,Hehe, lucky for you, this isn't the Orient Express ;)

"Well, that's settled then! I'd be glad to show you around!"

Caroline smokes the cigarette, savouring the deeply perfumed Chinese taste as she looks out the window and then turns to the company again.

"I was planning on going hunting near Lake Koko Nor, for game and for picture, it's near the monastery. If you're into sports, you'd be welcome to join."

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 pm
by aine
Santiago raises an eyebrow and goes to accept the hip flask but then thinks twice and declines with a shake of his head, looking at Posie ruefully. Then, at the invitation to the temple his eyes light up, "I'd--we'd like that very much, thank you Senora. I'd be interested in some hunting also. What sort of game is there at the monastery?"

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 pm
by DrPeterson

"Only what you bring there, Mr.Aguila."

Caroline looks Santiago straight in the eyes as she says so.

"I doubt the monks would very much appreciate the use of rifles around the monastery."

She laughs and takes another drag from the cigarette, not releasing him from here stare.

"I suspect there to be all manner of fowl around the lake, though, or perhaps maybe even a wild buck to snare."

She nods at thong around his neck.

"Are you praying to a Christian god, or to something much older perhaps?"

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"A Christian God?" asks Elisabeth with a bemused expression. "Last time I checked, there's only one. I've never been hunting before, but I'd be interested in giving it a try."

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:16 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline puts a hand on Elisabeth's arm as she looks at her with a charming smile.

"You are the most delicate flower, Elisabeth! Depending on who you ask, you'd get answers between one and several thousands! But regardless of how many deities people worship, there's always some essential connection. In Taoism the high entities are a trinity, like in Christianity, or just like the trikaya in Buddhism, the three bodies of the Buddha. You see, it's all somehow related, there are common roots. Isn't that infinitely fascinating?"

"And I'm sure you'd love hunting, darling, there is a certain thrill in hunting your own food."

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:52 am
by Tabs

Renwick shifts on the bench uncomfortably. "You are very outspoken Ms. Lamarr"--he stands and looks out the window.

"He's blushing," says Posie in a stage whisper.

"A little heat, that is all," retorts Renwick. "I shall stretch my legs . . ." the Doctor moves to the corridor of the carriage.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm
by DrPeterson

"I am used to speaking my mind, Dr. Renwick, I find it infinitely more fascinating than spewing banter about the weather or the state of the roads."

Caroline looks at Posie with an earnest expression on her face.

"A girl should always stand up for what she believes in, dear, and she should not be afraid to stand up for it either. The same goes for boys, but somehow they need less encouraging."

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:19 pm
by aine

Santiago drops his eyes under Caroline's stare and glances at Elizabeth. "It is nothing - er, just a family heirloom, that is all. You will have to excuse my poor grasp of English, Senora Lamarr." He pulls his collar up to hide the thong. "I think I'll stretch my legs also. I'll be back soon M--Elizabeth." He stands and follows Renwick into the corridor, pulling the door closed behind him.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll see you later, darling," says Elisabeth, blowing Santiago a kiss as he leaves. She smiles at Caroline. "Well said! I know I've never been afraid to speak my mind. I think we'll get along splendidly, Caroline!"

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:13 am
by Tabs

"All boys are horrible," decides Posie, as if "boys" are of a different species.

Mingzhu laughs to herself: "You can say that again!

"This 'Tree of Great Merit,'" asks Mingzhu, "is it still growing at the monastery of Kumbum?"

[ooc: Santiago, move to topic "An American in China."]

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Not all boys are horrible," says Elisabeth with a merry laugh. "There are a few exceptions: your father, and my own, for example. You'll understand when you get older, Posie."

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:18 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline offers the women a genuine and broad smile and raises her flask.

"To friends we meet as strangers on trains!"

She takes a sip and passes the flask to Elisabeth.

"I share the sentiment, Elisabeth, though I'm not sure the gentlemen in your company may agree. Men can be so easily riled."

Turning to Mingzhu, she shakes her head.

"I don't know, really, the last reliable report I've read is from last century. There were a couple of French missionaries visiting the monastery. They were intent on debunking the myth, but one of them, Evariste Huc, wrote in his book Travels in Tartary that the tree was there and that the letters of wisdom were indeed upon its leaves."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers!" says Elisabeth, taking a sip from the flask. She then offers it to Mingzhu. "Did he write what the letters of wisdom were?"

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:58 pm
by DrPeterson

"He did, indeed! He said that the leaves bore the most ornate Tibetan characters he'd ever beheld, and upon every leaf were either words of wisdom or contemplation, the teachings of the Buddha. They of course suspected fraud, but were flummoxed that they couldn't find a trace of anything suspicious."

She grins.

"Well, apart from tree growing words that is."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This I simply must see for myself!" says Elisabeth, filled with excitement. "I've never seen anything like that before."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 pm
by DrPeterson

"I hope it's still there, Elisabeth, I would love to read to you what is on the leaves!"

Caroline finishes her cigarette and crushes the butt in the ash tray.

"Is this your first time in China?"

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've been to China a few times before in recent years," says Elisabeth, "in between my studies. I've mainly been in Peking, though. This is my first chance to really see the interior."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:49 pm
by DrPeterson
"I think you'll find it to be quite different from Peking, darling. The air is much cleaner, despite all the damn dust everywhere."

Caroline laughs and then seems to notice Posie again.

"Take an example from your mummy, dear, a learned woman is worth at least two learned men."

"What did you study, Elisabeth?"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Political science," says Elisabeth, a hint of pride in her voice. "I'm looking to go into the Foreign Service. One day, perhaps I can even be an ambassador! I know it won't be easy for a woman to rise so high, but I'm determined to try."

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:12 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles and squeezes Elisabeth's hand.

"Good for you, Elisabeth, I'm sure you'll make it far! Never let those men push you under, you hear me? Don't let them force you to be who you're not."

She pats the young Englishwoman's hand again and continues,

"But don't worry, if you can get your degree and raise a child as bright as Posie, you'll do just fine!"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth grins back. "Thank you," she says, then turns her smile to Posie. "And when you grow up, you can be anything you want as well. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise."

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:55 pm
by Tabs

"Rather!" says Posie, her eyes searching the heavens; "I think I'll try being the Queen of England."

Mingzhu takes a second pull at the flask, then, hands it back. "It's settled! Together, we'll find the Tree. I think we are so lucky to have met you, Caroline," she adds quietly; "I can't speak for all of us . . ."--her gaze switches to Renwick and Santiago, who can be seen in the corridor outside their compartment.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's the spirit, Posie," says Elisabeth, laughing and patting her on the head. "When you're older, you'll just have to marry Prince Edward, and then you'll be Queen one day. Good thing all of his lady friends are already married. That will ensure he stays available."

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 am
by DrPeterson
Caroline looks at Mingzhu with a big smile.

"Perhaps those gentleman have yet to realise their luck. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll warm up once they've gotten used to the fact that two women are showing them around."

She laughs and then takes back the flask, screwing its cap on tight before tucking it in her bag.

"I'm sorry, your Grace, but royalty shouldn't drink until they're a bit older."

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"So, Caroline," asks Elisabeth, "why did you decide to become an archaeologist?"

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 am
by DrPeterson

"Humanity has mastered the sky and land, but the only true challenge lies underground."

Her eyes alight when she speaks, her voice full of passion.

"There is so much we don't know about our own past, and it's all right underneath our noses, lost civilisation upon lost civilisation, isn't it a wonderful thought that we are literally standing on the shoulders of giants. Every human accomplishment, every breath of joy, every work of art, everything humanity has ever done is buried underneath our feet. The ultimate puzzle, the ultimate question, where did we come from? And the answers is out there, for the taking! If only we know where to look..."

She smiles as she pauses for breath.

"It is only when we know where we came from that we can understand where we are going, Elisabeth, and I plan to understand it all."

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, I'm ever so keen on history!" says Elisabeth, sharing in Caroline's excitement. "There's so much we can learn from it. Some of the same things happen time and time again, and most people don't learn the lessons of the past and end up repeating the same mistakes. It was Solomon who wrote that there is nothing new under the sun - and that was three thousand years ago! We may have aeroplanes and motorcars nowadays, but people are still much the same."

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:04 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline tenderly looks at Elisabeth and rests a hand on her.

"And right you are, Elisabeth, humanity has always lived, laughed and loved. ", she leaves a silence after the last word, looking into the young Englishwoman's eyes before continuing.

"And we have always looked to the skies, trying to explain the mystery of Creation. To some many gods made many things, to others just one. With this reverence came a material culture and it is from that material culture,these idols and altars, that I try to trace back the roots of our origins. "

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:01 am
by Tabs
Caroline said: "I'm sorry, your Grace, but royalty shouldn't drink until they're a bit older."
Posie performs a delightful, most regal, curtsey.

Mingzhu listens to Elisabeth and Caroline with her palm supporting her chin, in rapt attention.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, they can't all be right," says Elisabeth, looking back in Caroline's eyes. "There are many conflicting accounts of our origin, but it only happened one way. Although there are elements common to all cultures throughout the world. All of them have an account of a Great Flood, no matter where in the world they are. In fact, the Chinese symbol for the number eight is a reference to the ark, which carried eight people. And eight has always represented prosperity and good fortune in Chinese culture."

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:12 pm
by aine

The door to the compartment opens and Santiago steps through. He sits back down next to Elizabeth and smiles at her. "That's enough fresh air for me; it's made me feel sleepy but then we didn't get much sleep last night. Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation," He looks at Caroline, "Please, continue, do not mind me." He leans back and closes his eyes.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:03 pm
by Tabs
"It must be dinner-time, I'm starvin'," complains Posie.

[ooc: Time is a half past one.]

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisbaeth grins back and squeezes Santiago's hand. "Yes, it has been a while since breakfast," she says. "Shall we go see what they're serving in the dining car?"

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:14 am
by Tabs
Dr. Renwick, his manner a little stiff since his return to the compartment, looks toward Caroline, seems to make up his mind about her, brightens, and says: "I must confess that like Posie, 'I'm starvin',' too."

Along the corridor walks a harassed looking steward, tea-towel draped over one arm.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pardon me," Elisabeth says to the steward. "I'm sorry to disturb you, but we're all famished. Is lunch being served?"

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:32 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles as the two men arrive.

"We were discussing religion, a topic best left behind if we don't want to ruin the appetites of the more sensitive stomachs."

Her smile widens and she gives the doctor a devious wink.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 pm
by Tabs
Her smile widens and she gives the doctor a devious wink.
Dr. Renwick clears his throat and looks glum, once again.

The steward stops. "Nǐ xiǎng yào shénme?"

Mingzhu promptly steps in, she barks in rapid Chinese and then continues in an even tone; the steward smiles weakly and replies subserviently. "There is no lunch," translates Mingzhu, "only Green tea. The man says we can buy peanuts and whatever else is sold at the next stop, which will not be for another two hours."

Posie holds her tummy and groans.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm
by aine
Santiago's ears prick up at the sound of lunch and he opens his eyes. As there's only green tea he says, "Did we bring any food supplies with us besides that wine? Although it will be in the baggage car. Or I can take you along to the next car, Posie, and see if any of those business men have any food."

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I would still like some Green tea, please," says Elisabeth. "It's a lot better than leaving my stomach empty."

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 am
by Tabs
The steward produces a spirit stove and, crouching on the carriage floor, proceeds to boil water which he poured from a porcelain flask.

Mingzhu remarks: "One has to be firm with these people. 'Face' is so important to the Chinese; Western kindness would only have earned the steward's contempt."

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 pm
by aine
"I don't think green tea and peanuts will last us the day. How about we look for something more substantial, Henry?" Santiago gets up and ruffles Posie's hair. "You never know what we might find. Elizabeth, we won't be long." He smiles at her and then nods to Caroline. He steps around the steward and his tiny stove, "Coming Henry?" and leaves the compartment.

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:49 pm
by Cearlan

I lean my head back and groan inwardly, both at the thought of green tea with nothing to disguise the awful taste (and when there will be something it will only be stale peanuts, over two hours away), and the concept of being less 'formal' with Caroline just grates - even for a short while. 'But one must do one's duty I suppose.' I think to myself. I gesture to the woman at the end of the seat.

"Yes, pray continue ... I believe I heard you saying something about religion? could you enlighten us on what sort of things we mmay encounter in China's interior. For my own part I was only ever at ... at Zhoukoudian."

At Santiago's offer he all but leaps out of his seat like a gazelle and says "Of course old chap! Let us see what we may rustle up."

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 pm
by DrPeterson

"Zoukhoudian? Did you meet with Davy Black? He's pretty stiff, even for a Canadian, but I guess that's what you get if you work with Scandinavians all the time. Well, he was anyway."

She shakes her head in a merry sigh, her curls flowing gracefully with the movement.

"I didn't take you for the type to hunt after fossilised humans, Dr. Renwick. We might find some common ground after all."

She adds a teasing grin.

"We can leave the religious dissertation for when you get back, with what was it? The wine?"

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth thanks the steward for the tea and sips it while listening with fascination to Caroline and Henry.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:16 am
by Cearlan

I press my lips together to stifle my outrage ... Davy Black!!! is that any way to talk about the most respected man in his field, well certainly one of them. I then realise that she may not know he is dead. Taking a deep breath to calm my racing heart I say;

"I see that you may be unaware of the situation as it stands. I regret to have to inform you that Professor Black passed over last year from heart complications. He was a man I respected and admired for a lot of reasons and although I was on the site as the medical doctor, I did learn a lot from the likes of the late professor and his replacement, even though it pains me to say it as comrade Wenzhong and I did not see eye to eye on many things."

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline looks at the Doctor with appraising eyes, gleaming with an almost sensuous mischief.

"Yes, I thought I saw something of him in you, Dr. Renwick. And I'd thank you for the news, were it not known to me already. Professor Black and I are or should I say were, both part of a select group of researchers who believe the origins of humanity to lie in the Tibetan plateau. Davy was a bit too bland for my taste and I a bit too hot for his, I imagine .We never saw eye to eye, despite our shared hypothesis. The fact that he was one of those flint fetishists didn't help our understanding one another either."

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:37 pm
by Tabs
Caroline teases--?--the unhappy Doctor, meanwhile Mingzhu sips at her tea; over the brim of her cup she catches Elisabeth's eye, and raises an eyebrow.

Posie jumps up from her seat and implores Santiago: "Oh, 'something more substantial,' please . . . daddy." Santiago exits. "Aren't you going too, Mr. Renwick?" adds Posie, oblivious to any tension, thinking only about food.

[ooc: Anyone outside of the compartment, place your post under a "Spoiler" button.]

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 pm
by Cearlan

I nod at Caroline, never taking my eyes off hers and say, "Well let us continue this discussion later my lady, but for now I am afraid I have a more pressing engagement, the pursuit of food with Santiago. I shall see you later ladies." Nodding he takes his leave of the compartment to join his friend.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:06 pm
by DrPeterson

"I look forward to you and Santiago's imminent return, Dr. Renwick."

She disconnects from Renwick's gaze with a winning smile at the ladies and says:

"Well, ladies, shall we go pick some berries while the menfolk hunt for food?", looking at Mingzhu she adds, "Or should we just have another smoke?"

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't smoke," says Elisabeth, "but I don't mind if anyone else wants to."

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:03 pm
by Cearlan
I close the door as gently as my simmering temper will allow. Catching up to Santiago I mutter quietly, though loud enough for my friend to hear me. "That infernal woman - she know how to get right under my skin, and I cannot even tell you how she does it! That's wrong actually, I know exactly how she does it ... well some of it anyway. The flippancy she uses when talking about "Davy Black" for example. The woman has no reserve or thought for protocol at all. Now I am no stick in the mud but I mean to say, damn it all!" I drone on in this vein for a time.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:00 pm
by Tabs
Mingzhu hands another cigarette to Caroline. "Tell me, Caroline, why are you traveling alone?" She thinks of Dr. Renwick: "Did you scare them all away?"

[ooc: Renwick and Santiago, go back to "An American in China" topic.]

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:16 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline emits a sultry, throaty laugh as she takes the cigarette from Mingzhu, her fingers touching the Chinese woman's a little longer than necessary.

"My company is travelling in second class, darling, it wouldn't do to have my porters ride in first, you know as well as I do that it would upset more than a few social conventions, besides they are terrible bores."

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 am
by Tabs

"Quite so!" smiles Mingzhu. "'Bores' are insufferable.

"One day, I hope to be in the movies, in Shanghai."

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline slowly draws on the cigarette, savouring the smoke before exhaling.

"With eyes like yours, Mingzhu, you'll knock 'em dead."

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, you'd be a natural for the cinema," says Elisabeth. "I'd love to see anything with you in it!"

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am
by Tabs

"Thank you. Both of you." MIngzhu, oddly, sheds a tear, which she wipes at irritatedly.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:04 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline knew better than to further teary conversations. She pats Mingzhu affectionately on the knee and then turns to stare through the window at the countryside rolling by.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome," says Elisabeth, who decides it might be best to change the subject. "Have you ever been to Chengchow before?"

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am
by Tabs
"You seem well travelled, Caroline?" adds Mingzhu to Elisabeth's enquiry.

Posie shifts on the seat uncomfortably. "The boys are taking ages: I'm awful hungry!"

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I wonder what could be keeping them," says Elisabeth, sipping at her tea. "It's not like they could get lost on a train. Distracted, perhaps."

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:59 pm
by DrPeterson
Caroline seems to snap out of some revery and turns to the other ladies, her curls cascading with the motion.

Just briefly, darling, for some paperwork, you know how it is. The focus of my research is more on west of China., she smiles at the well travelled compliment. "Why thank you, I do try to get around."

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure your knowledge of western China will be invaluable," says Elisabeth, "as that's where we're heading."

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:10 pm
by aine
The door opens and Santiago enters the compartment, he is carrying a large parcel. "Here you go; something to last until we reach the peanuts." He sits down and opens the parcel, "Hmm, Nuts, rice things, dumplings, more rice and, aha, sesame buns. And some strange brown stuff." He sniffs it and shakes his head. "Sorry Posie, I don't know what this is." To Elizabeth he says, "I'll leave it with you but don't eat all of it; it may have to last us a while. Is everything okay?" He looks into her eyes.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, everything's swell, honey," says Elisabeth, grinning wide and getting lost for a moment in Santiago's eyes. She puts her arms around him and gives him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, we're famished. Posie, dear, you have first choice. What would you like to eat?"

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:42 pm
by Tabs
"A sesame bun, thank you," says a restrained Posie--no-one would guess that she had been bellyaching about hunger.

Mingzhu delicately selects a dumpling. "I'm unsure myself what the 'brown stuff' is, Senor el Aguila!"

She asks: "Did you . . . did you find anything else besides our things?"

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:52 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline gives Santiago a welcoming smile, disregarding the scene of tenderness between him and Elisabeth.

"Ah, Senor Aguila! You come to us at the height of our need. Our young Lady Posie, brave though she is, was nearly overcome by hunger. Indeed, I feared she was going to eat me whole!"

Despite the gaiety of her remark, there is a sultry emphasis on the last part of that sentence that seems to electrify the air.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, we raised her better than that," says Elisabeth, helping herself to some rice. "She knows to take small bites and chew first."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline turned her smile to Elisabeth.
Caroline thinking:   Not so innocent after all this one.  
Of course not, she seems like the most upstanding British young lady. Hardly an accent at all.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite," says Elisabeth, smiling at Posie. "What else would you expect from the future Queen of England?"

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline lets out a short controlled laugh and smiles at Posie, bowing her head.

"Your highness, are your sesame buns to your liking?"

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:13 pm
by aine
Santiago shifts uncomfortably and gives Caroline a strange look. Once everyone has had something from the bag he takes some food himself; he takes four buns, some rice and the brown stuff, and then stands up. "I'll take this out to Henry, see you in a bit." He says gruffly and then leaves the compartment, frowning.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, Caroline," says Elisabeth. "He's not usually like this."

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm
by Tabs

"Oh, yes indeed, Miss Lamarr," mumbles Posie, her mouth full of sesame bun.

"Thank you, daddy," says she to the departing Santiago.

"He's a good man, Elisabeth.

"I feel that you can be a little abrasive, Caroline," laughs Mingzhu . . . She looks pensive: "Something similar has been said already, I think?"

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:31 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline laughs hoarsely.

"Yes, I believe so too, and not just on this train."

She looks at Mingzhu as she speaks, her eyes alight with something very akin to joy.

"Not many people are comfortable around people who speak their mind, least of all men."

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think the chaps are a bit intimidated by you, Caroline," says Elisabeth, grinning, "but that's one of the things I like about you. I can be outspoken sometimes too, but I can only take it so far. That's what comes of my diplomatic ambitions. It's funny, but in diplomacy one cannot say what one truly thinks. Otherwise there'd be constant war. Still, there are ways to get the point across without actually saying it."

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:16 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline chooses to not read deeper into what was being said and put a hand on Elisabeth's arm.

"Thank you, Elisabeth."

She leans back in her chair and looks on as Posie eats her bun.

I am more of an action girl myself, but then again the people I usually deal with are dead.

She laughs to take the sting out of her words.

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're quite welcome," says Elisabeth, eating her rice. "This trip is the most action I've seen. I never thought I was cut out for that sort of life, really. I'm not all that strong physically, though I've made up for it by developing my mind."

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:49 am
by DrPeterson

"I'm sure you'll get some colour on your skin in the West, Elisabeth."

Caroline brushes a wayward strand of hair to the side and looks out the window.

"When you're out in the wild, a strong mind is at least as important as a strong body."

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's true," says Elisabeth, "and we've both got that. And my husband has a strong body. I know he'll look after us."

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:02 am
by Tabs

"I want to go to the toilet!"

Mingzhu says: "I need to visit the powder room myself. I'll take you, Posie."

[ooc: Mr. Handy, I can't see Elisabeth's photograph, just the word "Image."]

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Elisabeth. "We'll await your return."
OOC,Thanks, I'm aware of that. Silentladies.com, which hosts the image, has been down for a while.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:08 am
by Tabs
Mingzhu takes Posie by the hand; they exit the compartment. Through the glass Elisabeth and Caroline see Mingzhu bow down to Posie's level and point toward the front of the locomotive, "Shall we try this way?" are the imagined words.
ooc,If you have a copy of the picture I could host it on photobucket? Who is she? P.S. I've gone and ordered Eldritch Horror.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:01 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline watches Posie and Mingzhu leave and then turns to Elisabeth with a playful smile, leaning closer as she whispers conspiratorially:

"I didn't know I was -that- good at scaring away people. Are you still here because of your diplomatic training, Elisabeth?"

She lets the tension of her closeness and the whisper hang for a moment and then leans back in her seat with a big smile.

"I'm just playing with you, darling, take no offence."

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth grins. "None taken," she says. "They can't escape from you that easily, anyway. We're all on the same train."
OOC,I don't have a copy of the picture, and I couldn't find another, but I did find an alternative picture of her to use until the site comes back (I think the domain name expired). The actress is Vilma Banky. I ordered Eldritch Horror too last week, and I just got it last night! I haven't had time to play it yet (still reading the rules), but I got it just in time for a four-day weekend, so I expect to be playing it a lot. I recently got a bunch of new board games and haven't had a chance to play most of them, but of course this jumped right to the top of my playlist.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:17 pm
by DrPeterson

"That doesn't really sound like an incentive to tone it down a little."

Caroline winks slyly at Elisabeth.

"For your sake, darling, I'll try not to rattle their cages too much."

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth with a slight laugh. "I wouldn't want you to stop being yourself, but I appreciate you slowing down a bit."

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:11 am
by DrPeterson

"So tell me, Elisabeth, where did you meet this dashing husband of yours. He doesn't look like the type to hang around at embassy parties."

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I did meet Santiago at a party, as it happens," says Elisabeth, sticking as close to the truth as she can, "although it wasn't at an embassy. We just both happened to be invited to it."

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 am
by DrPeterson

"That must have been quite the party!"
Caroline's wink implies she knows exactly what kind of party that must have been.
"How long have you been married, dear? "

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth chuckles. "Why, how old do you think I am?" she asks.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:42 pm
by Tabs
A tap upon the compartment's door.

The red swastika is garish. "Would you ladies care to subscribe?" says the man in execrable English.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you, I would," says Elisabeth, opening up her purse and checking to see how much money she has. She's always glad to contribute to charity. "How much is it?"

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 am
by DrPeterson

You look very young, dear, but I can see in your eyes that you've already seen quite a few things. I'm not going to guess, even I am not that brash.

She winks with a smile and then the chinaman appears. Oh how she loved the garish sense of ornament of the East.

Caroline puts a hand on Elisabeth, stopping her for a moment.

"What are you collecting money for? A woman likes to know where she puts her money."

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, the Swastika Society is the Buddhist equivalent of the Red Cross," says Elisabeth.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 am
by DrPeterson
"Of course, dear, but don't you want to know where your money is going? What regional projects they are funding with it?", Caroline replies and she then turns to the man.

Well, don't leave us hanging!

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 am
by Tabs
[ooc: I reckon that, for the party at the Golden Pumpkin, Elisabeth took a total of $5 in her purse (I think a "Yuan" is the base coin)--so she'll have a number of those and a few silver dollars. Do you agree?]
"How much is it?"
"What are you collecting money for? A woman likes to know where she puts her money."

"The poor are grateful for our help," replies the Swastika Society man obsequiosly, "and we are thankful for all donations; please give whatever you can."--At least this is what you believe he says, what with his missing consonants and warbling tone.

[ooc: Do you wish to try and converse in Chinese, Elisabeth 31% and Caroline 39%?]

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:41 am
by DrPeterson
Chinese,[dice]0[/dice]
Caroline thinks for a moment about further continuing the conversation in the man's language, but decides against it.

"Thank you"

She smiles and pulls some change from her pocket, handing it to the man.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth chats amiably with the man in his native language and hands him one yuan. Good old Gresham and his Law, she thinks. The silver Mexican dollars have intrinsic value unlike the yuan, so spend the yuan first and save the Mex.
OOC,Yes, that sounds about right.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:51 pm
by Tabs

He accepts the coins from Caroline and Elisabeth with a bow, placing them into a collection pot. When Elisabeth speaks Chinese his face lights up and he answers:
Elisabeth,"You cannot know what a pleasure it is to hear my own tongue on the beautiful lips of a Westerner. Have you far to travel, madam?" [color=#0000FF][ooc: Put spoken Chinese behind a spoiler.] [/color]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth smiles and blushes.
Chinese,[color=violet]"Thank you, sir,"[/color] she says. [color=violet]"Yes, we'll be traveling far. First we're going to Chengchow, and then to the interior. We plan to visit Kumbum Monastery."[/color]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:42 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth,"We, too, are traveling to Chengchow--the Society has a base there." He adds: "No doubt you have reservations at[i] Zofitel International[/i]?"

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:02 am
by Mr. Handy
Chinese,[color=violet]"My husband made the arrangements,"[/color] says [b]Elisabeth[/b], [color=violet]"and I'm not familiar with Chengchow, so I'm not certain, but you're probably right. "[/color]

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am
by Tabs
Elisabeth,"You would be most welcome to stay at the compound of the Swastika Society. If you have time, please visit us."
The locomotive slows as it enters a village. "Footh," says the Society man as he mimes eating off of a plate.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, perhaps we can get some food on the platform," says Elisabeth to Caroline. "Shall we go see what's on offer?"

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:17 pm
by Tabs

Mingzhu pops her head round the compartment's door. "Elisabeth, Caroline, we can buy things to eat!"

The locomotive stops beside a platform with a small crowd of hawkers, selling melons, chestnuts, etc. in wicker bowls and pottery dishes: it's a mini market. The second and third class carriages disgorge many peasants and soon the platform is a milling crowd of people.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth to the man from the Swastika Society. She rises and joins Mingzhu, motioning for Caroline to join them. "Yes, let's go while there's time. The train might not stay here long."

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:32 pm
by DrPeterson

"Excellent! Let's stretch our legs a bit!"

Caroline gets up and shoulders her pack, joining the other women.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:13 pm
by Tabs

"I haven't got a thing besides this dress," laughs Mingzhu. She adds: "Do you mind, Elisabeth, being banker?"

There are many fruits: melon, kiwi, jackfruit, kumquat, lychee, Goji berries--presumably most have come from South China; nuts: water chestnut, peanut, almond; newspapers.

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course, Mingzhu," says Elisabeth. She makes her way through the market, purchasing a variety of fruits and nuts, as well as the latest newspaper - in English if one is available, or in Chinese if not.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline purchases some fruit and nuts too, especially a nice melon and some goji berries.

I just love the bustle of these impromptu markets, don't you?

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, yes!" says Elisabeth. "And I do so enjoy haggling. There's so little opportunity to do it back home." Even here, it is a little difficult to get the vendors to come down on their prices.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 am
by Tabs
The newspaper has only has a few sheets printed in Chinese characters.

Caroline, head and shoulders taller than everyone else, looks down upon a sea of black haired heads, bobbing as they eat and talk. There is one exception, on the other side of the mini market she sees Santiago.

The farmer insists the packet of almonds are 5 yuan, he wags a finger at Elisabeth when she offers 4 yuan. Mingzhu nudges Elisabeth and commiserates: "Your Western face is like a huge silver dollar to the farmer!"

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:17 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline turns around, her hair gracefully cascading as she purposely ignores Santiago but makes sure he knows he's being ignored and curses and swears her way in pidgin mandarin through the crowd to buy some more nuts.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth reluctantly shells out the five yuan. "I suppose that's the disadvantage of being a Westerner," she replies to Mingzhu. "I'll need to get more spending money from my husband when next I see him."

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:35 pm
by Tabs
DrPeterson,I copied Caroline's previous post for aine, Santiago noted that he was ignored.

Deng, the conductor, shouts: "Suǒyǒu dēng jī!" and waves a flag.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:38 pm
by DrPeterson
Tabs,Haha! Cheers :)

Caroline boards the train and returns to her seat. She takes out her pocket knife and starts cutting open a jack fruit.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth collects her purchases and hurries to board the train.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:21 pm
by Tabs
Aboard the locomotive, in the compartment, are Elisabeth, Caroline and Mingzhu who watches the village slide past the window as the locomotive gathers speed. "How much longer to Chengchow, I wonder?" yawns Mingzhu.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, I don't know," says Elisabeth, "but I'd expect it to take hours. If you want to take a nap, feel free.'

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:57 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline picks the pips from the jackfruit with her knife and brings them to her mouth on the tip of the blade.

The landscape won't start getting interesting until we're almost there, Mingzhu. You'll feel the altitude in your ears before you'll see it through the window.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:42 pm
by Tabs

"I am glad to hear it!" replies Mingzhu; "the landscape is so . . . so monotonous. I confess that I have never ventured further than the suburbs of Peking--although one summer we went to Macau by steamship. Caroline, I bet you have had many exciting adventures?"

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:54 pm
by aine
Santiago ushers Posie into the compartment and sits her down next to Elizabeth. "Stay here and eat your kiwi fruit, I'm going to check on Henry." He smiles at Elizabeth and gives Caroline an appraising look before going back to the guard compartment.

Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth blows a kiss to Santiago as he leaves, then smiles at Posie. "I see you bought some fruit too," she says. "Great minds think alike."

Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:51 am
by Tabs
aine,Nip back to the other topic.

"'Great minds,'" repeats Posie proudly. She settles herself and then takes a slurp at the kiwi.

Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:42 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles playfully and cleans off her knife on the shell of the jack fruit.

"To Macau? I hope those Portugese kept their manners around such a lovely Beijing girl. But Macau is much more vibrant than Hong Kong. More oriental, if you will. Hong Kong smells of oil and black tea, it's so ... neat. Not like Macau at all, the air is full of spices and the sweat of men and women. There is a broody atmosphere there..."

Caroline's voice grows deeper as she speaks, some exotic memory of Macau must be touching a sensitive spot.

"Oh adventures! I've been around, that's for sure. Anything you'd like to hear about, darling?"

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth listens with interest as she tries the Goji berries.

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:19 am
by Tabs

"It sounds as if you met someone in Macau!" Mingzhu winks playfully at Elisabeth. "'Spices,'" imagines Mingzhu and she breathes deeply, "How wonderful! Tell us about Macau," she glances at Posie," but gloss over any racy parts!"

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth grins. "Oh, yes, I'd love to hear about your adventures in Macau too," she says.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:45 am
by DrPeterson

She laughs again, her hair bobbing in perfect choreography.

"Oh, it was a couple of years back. We were experimenting with aerial surveying along the Guangdong River basin. Hoping to find signs of archaeology from the air that we couldn't see from ground level.
Little Tommy McClure was my photographer. A darling boy from Iowa, a keen eye too.
"

She pauses for a moment and smiles at the memory.

"Though I always suspected him of not being along for the archaeology...
But anyway, one of the intake valves of my plane's engine jammed and I was forced to put her down in a rice paddy in the middle of nowhere. Tommy 'volunteered' to stay behind to guard the equipment and try to get the plane out of the field, while I made my way back to civilisation to find some help and a replacement valve.
"

She opens her backpack and takes out the flask and has a sip.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:29 pm
by Tabs
Though I always suspected him of not being along for the archaeology...
"Boys," says Mingzhu to Posie confidential like, "they're all the same." Posie pauses from eating her kiwi.

"Did you find a valve?" asks Posie.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles at Posie and nods.

"Of course I did, Posie, after a few days and a few friendly locals, I managed to get to Macau. The mechanic there, Alphonso I think, had very deft hands."

She stops for dramatic effect and continues with a feline grin.

And he was quite the competent mechanic too.

With a wink at the girls, she continues her tale.

"We got back to plane and with the replacement of the bogged up valve, I could take off again. Unfortunately, without my photographer. Poor Tommy hadn't reacted to well to drinking the local water."

She laughs and shakes her head in disbelief of the boy's lacking survival skills.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth stifles a giggle at Caroline's innuendo.

"I hope Tommy was all right," she says.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 am
by DrPeterson

"Well, that would depend on what you call all right, Elisabeth. He was bedridden for a couple of weeks and then moved back to Iowa.
He's Father McClure now.
"

Her smile is all mischief.
Caroline picks up a kiwi slices it in two, using her knife to separate the flesh from the skin.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You must have left a trail of broken hearts behind you, Caroline," says Elisabeth with a grin. "Has there ever been a man you've considered marrying?" She munches on the almonds next.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23 am
by DrPeterson

She smiles cockily and slices up the second half of the kiwi.

"I was married once, Elisabeth. A looong time ago, well not so long ago, of course, but in a different world anyway.

To another archaeologist, good old Benny. His name was Thomas Benedict, but he never used his first name. I think we were married for about a year and a half.
"

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry it didn't last long," says Elisabeth, giving Caroline a sympathetic look. "What's he like?"

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 pm
by DrPeterson

She waves a hand in a dismissive gesture.

"He was loud, big and boisterous. Imagine a large ape blowing a foghorn and you're almost there. But ever so charming! Did he know how to have a good time!"

She smiles genuinely, happy with the memory.

"We met at Brown University and shared many passions: archaeology, drinking, emancipation,... We got married more on a whim and because it would shock people, but we were too alike, couldn't stand each other's spotlight. And I had my rivers in the East, while Benny preferred his in the Near East. I did my research between Yangtze and Mekong and he couldn't stand to be more than a hundred miles from the Jordan river. You can count the times we were in the same country during the last year of our marriage on one hand. "

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's too bad you couldn't be near each other," says Elisabeth, "though I can understand his interests as well as yours. I'd like to visit the Holy Land someday myself. I wouldn't give up hoping, Caroline. One day you may still find true love."

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:18 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline puts a hand on Elisabeth's hand.

"You are the sweetest thing, Elisabeth. But I'm not hoping for love, there are far more interesting things out there!"

She stands and slides open the small window, the wind blowing straight into her face, her hair miraculously cascading perfectly on the air stream.

"I wouldn't trade this for all the bounties of marriage!"

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't trade my family for anything," says Elisabeth, giving Posie a one-armed hug. "Fortunately, I can have both!" She basks in the wind.

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:52 pm
by Tabs

The little girl returns a faint smile to Elisabeth; Posie's eyelids are drooping. A kiwi seed sticks, unnoticed, to her chin.

"Oh Caroline," says Mingzhu, "you are a card!"

The steward passes their door carrying his green tea urn. Shortly afterward Renwick and Santiago return to the compartment.

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:07 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline treats Mingzhu to a playful wink and then looks up at the men as they approach.

"Ah, the prodigal sons return!"

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth gently removes the seed from Posie's chin. "Hi, honey," she says, smiling at Santiago.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm
by aine
Santiago leans down, gives Posie a hug and wipes her chin. "not so hungry now?" He sits down next to Elizabeth and squeezes her hand, "Ola carina." He whispers to her and makes room for Henry to sit down. He smiles at Caroline, "Did you enjoy the market, Miss Lamarr?"

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline's lip curls upward, almost like a tiger bearing a fang.

"Oh I find these rural markets exceedingly charming. The bustle, the smell, the sensation of all those bodies crawling over each other."

She smiles at the rest of the company and says a brighter voice.

"And naturally, when you're as tall as I am, you have the grandest view of everything."

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth looks up at Caroline, who towers over her. "That is certainly an advantage," she says.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 pm
by Tabs

"Um--yes, Miss Lamarr," says Renwick, "you certainly are that--tall, I mean." He changes the subject: "One of the guards, Bo is his name, is a refugee from Sinkiang province"--he looks at Santiago and Elisabeth, unsure about mentioning Sinkiang in the presence of Caroline--"my point is that this Bo speaks Turki and Mongol, which I presume no one amongst us does?"

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:52 pm
by aine
"It's easier to hide when you're small." says Santiago grinning. "You never know when Mongolian may come in handy, Henry, we should ask Bo if he wouldn't mind tagging along once his shift is over." He says, still smiling.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, perhaps we can hire him as a guide," says Elisabeth. "But will he want to head out west? He might not want to go anywhere near the area he left behind."

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:02 am
by Tabs

"That's a good point, Mrs. el Aguila," replies Renwick. "We'll have to sound him out."

"Do you speak any other language, Caroline?" enquires Mingzhu.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:21 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline's eyes narrow for the merest fraction of a second as she hears you mention Sinkiang, but she quickly regains her composure. She looks at Mingzhu with a charming smile.

I must admit, darling, that Mongolian isn't part of my repertoire, I do however speak Tibetan.

She leans back in her seat, making sure she can see everyone.

"But why would you want a guide to Sinkiang? If you plan on going there after Chengchow, I'd advise discretion. The area is forbidden and controls are very strict. You should be careful with strangers on trains, they could be very dangerous."

As she lingers on the last word, she looks at Santiago.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:21 pm
by aine

Santiago raises an eyebrow and smiles warmly at Caroline. "I am very much aware of that, Ms Lamarr. You never know what secret agenda a person may have no matter how personable and friendly they may appear to be. Thank you for the warning; I'm sure we'll all double our efforts to be vigilant." He looks at Elizabeth particularly.

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth nods in understanding. "I'll be careful, dear," she says.

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 am
by Tabs
Renwick clears his throat and studies the floor.

Posie is sound asleep.

Mingzhu replies: "Tibetan will be a great help to us at the monastery of Kumbum and at lake Koko Nor where we plan to do some shooting." She hesitates, but continues as on delicate ground, so to speak: "Señor el Aguila, forgive me if I speak out of turn, we should include Miss Lamarr, Caroline, in our true intentions, otherwise our planning in Chengchow for the . . ."--she hesitates again--"the journey to Sinkiang will be impaired--and Caroline knows about expeditions--camp life--in this country, better than anyone!"

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, dear," says Elisabeth, "I think we ought to include her. Besides, she already knows about our plans. Better that she stays with us."

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:13 pm
by aine

"Ms Lamarr already knows of our plans?"
Santiago turns grimly to Henry with a 'women will gossip' look before replying. "Well I suppose so long as Ms Lamarr finds it beneficial to her own plans then I don't see why not."

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:03 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline was rummaging through her pack when the conversation took an awkward turn. She looked up at them, her voice and expression cool.

"I find it all very fascination that you are going on this "family" excursion to Sinkiang, but why on Earth would you want to take a child there? Are you running from trouble? From the law?"

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She's smart enough to have figured things out from what she's heard us say," says Elisabeth, who then turns to Caroline. "We're not on the run from the law, but we are fleeing from trouble." She looks to her "husband" to see if he's okay with her saying more.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 am
by Tabs

Renwick returns Santiago's look. "It's for the best--that we are all together."

"Posie is very dear to us," says Mingzhu obliquely, not addressing Caroline's question.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:49 pm
by aine

Santiago nods and smiles to Elisabeth, "We did run into some trouble, totally by accident." He agrees. "It seemed prudent to head west as it is a most unexpected direction for a family to take. Plus we have a few errands that way. And now that we have met you, I'm sure we'll find more reasons for heading that way; your monastery for starters, and hunting." He says to Caroline.

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles affably.

"Since we're on the same train, I don't mind guiding you some of the way at least. But I would very much like to know what danger you are running from."

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth takes a deep breath and lowers her voice. "We survived a massacre last night," she says in a near whisper. "A massacre perpetrated by soldiers of the Empire of Japan. As witnesses, we are still in danger."

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:53 pm
by aine
Santiago watches Caroline's reaction very carefully.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 pm
by Cearlan

I raise my canteen to my mouth as Caroline begins to speak. Flicking a quick glance to Santiago I see his attention is already riveted on the brash American lady ... if indeed lady she is. I sip my water canteen as I look keenly at Caroline over the rim watching how she reacts to Elizabeth's disclosure.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline takes Elisabeth's hands in hers and lets out an admiring sigh.

"Oh Elisabeth, you are so brave."

She smiles warmly at Posie .

"And your daughter too."

Looking up at the others, her face expressionless, she says:

"But if you were attacked by the Japanese, why didn't you go to the local administration? Or the Embassy? "

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:46 pm
by aine

"It wasn't safe. Certainly not with Posie; we were hiding right until we boarded this train. Maybe once we are clear we can stop and take stock." Santiago rubs his eyes, "It's been a long couple of days." He's surprised at Caroline's control, but then again, maybe it isn't so surprising.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:34 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline raises an appraising eyebrow at Santiago.

"I can imagine, you should tell me the details some time."

She smiles charmingly as she reclines in her seat.

"I mean when the memory is less fresh or painful, of course."

"Not that I mean to pry, but why Sinkiang? Sichuan would have taken you closer to India and the British there and there's no way the Japanese could infiltrate that deep without being stopped."

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Caroline," says Elisabeth with a smile. "Some of the survivors are heading to the Embassy in Peking, including the Ambassador's aide. But that is a dangerous route, one the Japanese would expect us to take. We have our reasons for our choice of destination, though I don't know if they would make sense to you."

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:59 pm
by aine
Santiago lapses into a moody silence and stares out of the window, watching the paddy fields go by as the train winds its way through the countryside.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 pm
by Tabs

"My father was murdered," says Mingzhu in a strained voice, her eyes moist. "He was hosting a party at the Golden Pumpkin Restaurant, it's a station you'd have passed through, Caroline."

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:04 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline offers Mingzhu a sympathetic look.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mingzhu, Someone who could bring forth such an admirable daughter, must have been an exceptional man."

She seems to be lost in thought for a moment.

"I don't particularly seem to recall passing by a Pumpkin, however, Golden or otherwise."

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:32 pm
by Cearlan

"The Golden Pumpkin is not a station as such so you may not have recognised it under that name." I interject quietly, mmy eyes focussing on the middle distance as I remember my great friend Vladimir Kolchack and his stoic wife, Tatsuo and his terrible mother; God rest her soul, and the Italian Mario Giovanni. My mind goes over again how I missed the fever in Vladimir resulting in my having to amputate his limbs to save his life. I hang my head, partly to give some gravity to what I was saying but also to hide the stinging of the tears welling up in my eyes.

"We lost a few good friends back there - but it also served to have brought us together, the Lady Mingzhu, the good family of Santiago, Elizabeth and Posie and, of course myself. Ah, enough to say that certain indications were that the local administration was under Japanese influence, and we sent some of our group East to the British Embassy to let them know of the events at the restaurant." Realising I had said more than I had intended to I coughed and promptly stood, made an excuse and went to stand in the corridor whilst I regained my composure. After a few moments I returned to the compartment offering my apologies once more.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth nods solemnly. "We couldn't save everyone," she says, "but justice will be done for those who didn't survive."

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:19 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline tries to hide her surprise behind a sympathetic face.

"I don't think there are words suited to convey my sympathy for what you have experienced."

She stares out of the window in contemplation for a few moments and then says:

"I can help you out in China, but if you're going to the Sovjet Union, I won't be able to assist you."

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:38 pm
by Tabs

"British India, not the Soviet Union." Mingzhu adds: "The party was held in honour of Peter Fleming and Ella Maillart. After we waved goodbye to them at the station the guests retired to the Golden Pumpkin Restaurant, later that evening--last night!--the awful events started. These two, Fleming and Maillart," continues Mingzhu, "are attempting to cross Sinkiang to Kashmir--secretly, of course, because the Chinese Government, if aware, would not permit it. It seemed it would be wise for us to 'disappear,' so we decided to attempt the same feat. Our stated intention of visiting the monastery of Kumbum, which is permitted, is true; it is also en route to Sinkiang." Mingzhu shoots a furtive glance at Santiago.

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:47 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles, amused by the thought of every last Westerner in China disappearing into Sinkiang.

"I've read Maillart's Turkestan Solo, it was a very inspiring read."

Her smiles turns into a grin.

"But if you're heading into Kashmir, I may be of a little more service. I happen to be on a scientific mission with a destination more western than Kumbum."

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:58 pm
by aine
Santiago does not really hear the beginning of Mingzhu's explanation; he too is reliving last night's adventure and tragedy; the surreal drugged performance that ended in shocking death, the mad escape from the guarded carriage and subsequent floundering through the black mud of the paddy fields.

A small smile escapes as he remembers his and Henry's crazy fight in the pitch black with the armed soldiers. And then the old mill, the wounded escapees, and the huge silhouette of Tatsao lit up by the flash of the grenade as he stormed a rescue. How they got from there to the sanctuary of the mission he can't remember, except it involved a hole and an acerbic old woman. The deaths of their newly-made friends weigh heavy in his memory and he looks with understanding as Henry leaves the carriage.

Then he pulls himself together, promising to himself and Kolchak's spirit to get the others through to safety. He looks up with a smile, "There's nothing like outwitting the government - of any country!"

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth smiles too. "It sounds like you two are starting to get along," she says. "I'm glad of it. We're going to be seeing a lot more of each other on the journey ahead."

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:39 am
by DrPeterson

"I should hope so."

She takes out her knife and cuts open the melon she bought earlier. After having sliced up one half, she slowly sucks the juice from the blade and puts it away.

"Melon anyone?"

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:55 am
by Tabs

Posie snuggles against Santiago.

"No thanks, Caroline."
"I've read Maillart's Turkestan Solo, it was a very inspiring read."
"Father spoke to Peter Fleming," says Mingzhu conversationally, "apparently his last book is One's Company, a fact that isn't lost on the pair of adventurers; father gathered that they are together only by necessity, not 'close' friends at all.

"Did you get the local newspaper, Elisabeth?"

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:33 pm
by DrPeterson

"Well, conversation tends to be what one sided, I imagine. But then again, no one to keep you awake with their snoring either."

She smiles tenderly as she casts a glance at Santiago, and at Posie asleep against him.

"How sweet."

She then looks back at Mingzhu.

I'm afraid I didn't, darling. Maybe one of the locals did, we could ask someone from the staff.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:35 am
by Cearlan

I return to the compartment in time to hear Caroline's comment about getting a newspaper from one of the staff. "When Santiago and I were back there playing cards with the guards, they became very officious after the last station. Not sure if they had a change of personnel or not, but there was a definite change in attitude from the head guard, Deng. So maybe we should avoid that route. One of the guards, Bo, hails from Western provinces, he may be willing to be our guide of we can persuade him."

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I bought a local newspaper on the platform, Mingzhu," says Elisabeth, offering it to her. "Here you go." She too can't help beaming when she sees how adorable Posie looks cuddled up against Santiago.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 am
by Tabs

"I wonder why this Deng behaved like he did, Dr. Renwick?" wonders Mingzhu. "Anyway, it would be helpful to recruit Bo,--"Mingzhu receives the newspaper from Elisabeth--"knowledge of Sink---" She reads aloud the headline:

"Catastrophe at Golden Pumpkin, fire ravages Restaurant, all perish!"

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm
by Cearlan

I look both startled and thoughtful at the headline. "The Japanese officer I spoke to claimed he was just following orders and that he had been after the host who he labelled," Henry pauses and looks with sorrow at Mingzhu. "I apologise here Mingzhu, these were the officer's words not mine, that the Golden Pumpkin's owner was in fact a criminal. Not that I believed this for a moment of course" I add hastily. "It does seem obvious though that he was covering his tracks. Now it will be difficult to substantiate our version of events as he has removed all evidence at one fell swoop."

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:56 pm
by aine
"Does that mean that everyone thinks we died in the fire? The authorities won't be happy when the others turn up alive and well at the embassy; it'll mean more paperwork for starters. I suppose the newspaper is government controlled; so they are either covering it up or they've been duped well."

Santiago shifts his weight slightly so Posie is more comfortable. He considers the fact of his alleged death; it might throw his pursuers of the scent for a while. He smiles to himself.

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"I guess it makes sense that they'd burn the place down to hide the evidence," says Elisabeth. "It's a bit odd to hear about my own death in the newspaper. My poor mother must be heartbroken..."

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 pm
by Cearlan

I have a sad look on my face. "I wonder if there is some way we can get in touch ... do you think our 'friends' might be able to get word out from the embassy?"

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's possible," says Elisabeth. "The embassy has telephones, and it can receive telegrams. If we can find a telephone when we get to our stop, we can give them a call. Failing that, we can send a telegram. If you're worried about it being intercepted, I can encrypt it. I know the diplomatic code." As a secretary at the embassy, she's often encoded and decoded messages.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 am
by DrPeterson

"I would advise against it. I don't think you'll find many telephones where we are going and those telegraphs can easily be intercepted by anyone. If your pursuers lost your trace, an encrypted message from Kumbum will most certainly put them on your trail again."

She looks at Renwick, a serious but comforting expression on her face.

"I understand your concern for your family and friends, but they'll be much more relieved to see you back alive than to get a reassuring telegram and then never hear from you again."

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I meant that we could send it from Chengchow," says Elisabeth, "but I see your point."

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:24 pm
by Tabs

Mingzhu says to Santiago: "I suppose everyone will believe we are dead,--for now--we have a few days in limbo until Mr. Grey returns to the Embassy, initiates an investigation, and 'they' realise that there are survivors, and we"--she glances at the faces in the carriage--"are drawn back to life . . . and perilous danger.

"Caroline is right to be cautious," continues Mingzhu, "but I understand the Doctor's wish to inform friends. And yes, Elisabeth, we'll be in Chengchow for a few days buying supplies for the journey ahead, so maybe we can send an encrypted telegram from there?" She raises a finger: "Ooh, don't forget Mr. Norrin at Cheng Kung University Hospital, Chengchow, Prof. Pavlov said he'd wire money to him for us."

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, that's right," says Elisabeth. "We'll certainly need it on the journey ahead. I've already spent much of what little I had on the platform."

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 am
by aine
"And I promised we'd stop in at the mission at Lanchow; we've got that wine to deliver." Santiago muses. "What's the next stop and when do we get off - does anyone know? Or shall I go and find out? We boarded so elusively I didn't pay much attention to the route."

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   If Caroline does not know, I will volunteer to ask Deng or Bo - whoever I encounter first, either which is the next station or which is the nearest station to Lanchow.  

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:25 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC:   I'm sure Tabs will prompt me regarding Caroline's knowledge of the track ;)  

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:36 am
by Tabs
OOC:   See "Map" topic. It's a large image, so if you press "CTRL" and "-" you can see everything. The locomotive is in the East of China, puffing along from Peking to Hankow, at Chengchow, which is the next city on the track, another (minor) track goes to Sian, which is the end of the line. Lanchow, which Santiago mentions, can be reached by road. Follow the red line on the map--the route actually taken by Fleming and Maillart. Beyond Lanchow is the monastery of Kumbum and lake Koko Nor.

Thanks, Dr. Renwick, but Caroline already :) has a good grasp of the geography.  
Deng, the conductor, pokes his head into your compartment.

"Chengchow--one hour."

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 am
by DrPeterson

"In Chengchow we can change trains onto Sian, that was the path I was planning on taking. We should be able to procure cars there to take us into Lanchow and then on to Kumbum.", she says knowingly
OOC:   Muahaha  

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:13 pm
by Cearlan

"Then, Caroline, it looks as though our paths are intertwined for the time being." I muse aloud. "Did you say you were heading for Sian?" I ask innocently, a winning smile on my face.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline's smiles is golden as she looks at Renwick.

"Why, Doctor Renwich, am I mistaken or are you actually looking forward to the prospect of travelling in my company? But yes, there is no direct route to Kumbum, so Sian is a necessary stop on the way."

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"What's in Sian?" asks Elisabeth, curious.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 am
by Tabs

"Not a lot, Elisabeth," replies Mingzhu; "Sian is a walled town, the terminus of the track, and somewhere we can buy food, but that is about it. Any equipment we want needs to be purchased in Chengchow."

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 am
by DrPeterson

"Sian used to be the Western Capital of the Han dynasty. Although it used to house many great structures, most of the city was razed around a thousand years ago. One of the finest monuments left is the Pagoda of the Giant Wild Goose. It was built during the first millennium but saw some heavy restoration under the Ming dynasty."

She smiles kindly.

"I'm sure you'll see as we ride into the city. I wasn't planning on stopping there for long though, but a stop is necessary as Sian as home to the governor of Shenshi Province and we'll need to pick up papers to continue on our way. I'd like to get to Kumbum as fast as possible. And if you're all being chased, I would suggest you do the same."

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:30 pm
by aine
"I hope not all of us are being chased - at present - but we must be on the watch for anyone taking an interest in us." Santiago smiles, "More than usual, that is. Ms Lamarr, you have an offical reason for travelling to Sian and on to Kumbum. Can you think of one for a family and friends? You know the area; there may be something we could be visiting, would the monastery be reasonable under official scrutiny?"
Although he still doesn't trust Caroline it looks like they'll be with her for some time and they'll need a good relationship to get through the inevitable red tape to come. If she's with his enemy well, 'it'll all come out in the wash' as he'd once heard an English man say.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:07 pm
by DrPeterson

She returns the smile.

"I'm pretty sure the amount of scrutiny will depend on the amount of money you slip between your passport acquisition form, Mr Aquilla. A visit to the monastery isn't unheard off, especially not one providing a few extra dollars to the officials. "

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I agree," says Elisabeth. "Visiting the monastery is already the reason I've given for heading west, and greasing the right palms will help tremendously."

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 pm
by Tabs

"We'll arrive at Chengchow station in 45 minutes," says Mingzhu as she looks at the outlying farms.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm looking forward to it," says Elisabeth. "Everything from here on is unexplored territory for me, something new and wonderful to discover."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:51 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles kindly at Elisabeth and then stands up.

"I'm going to make sure my luggage is properly set to be unloaded. "

She eyes the party with a feline glance and steps out onto the aisle.

"i'm sure you have a lot to talk about."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:43 am
by Tabs
The time is approaching 4.30 p.m.; the sun has shone today, but it is still a cool February afternoon in China.
OOC:   Caroline, move to "American in China" topic.  
Mingzhu fingers the thin cloth of her dress. "I guess it is going to be cold outside."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:45 am
by aine
Santiago looks at Elizabeth thoughtfully and then, as Caroline leaves, he says casually, "Okay, we'll see you on the platform." And glances at Henry. Then he brightens up. "Don't worry Mingzu, once we get some funds we can buy some more clothes; we'll need to much warmer where we're going."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:00 pm
by Cearlan

I am deep in thought and don't see Santiago's glance. Snapping out of my reverie I add, "Don't forget that the higher we go, the colder it will get as well. So we need to make sure we are properly provisioned and attired. I'm not sure about the lay of the land out here, but water may prove to be something we have to consider, especially the further West we travel."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll have to ask Caroline exactly what we need when we see her again," says Elisabeth. "She has experience outfitting expeditions. Water and warm clothing are certainly a must. Food too."

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:12 am
by aine
"we can't rely on Ms Lamarr for everything." Santiago gently admonishes Elizabeth. "Her path lies alongside ours only for the moment." He thinks for the moment. "I've been quite high in the Andes, tracking. To where a man has to slow down to breath. If we are planning to go that high..." He stops, wondering what exactly they were planning and how it would tie in with his own plans but now was not the time to divulge. "If we are planning to go that high, we'll need very warm clothes, furs even. Good quality food and some snow equipment; ropes, picks, even snowshoes maybe. But we may be lucky; some mountains are snow free even at high altitude."

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, you're right," says Elisabeth. "The Himalayas are even higher than the Andes. In fact, they're the highest mountains in the world."

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm
by Tabs

"Oh yes!--a lovely fur coat," muses Mingzhu to herself, then as if realising she is not being as serious as she needs to be, "Transporting the right equipment is key, only items that can be carried by a horse,"--she ponders the desert oasis--"or a camel. Can everyone ride?" asks Mingzhu.

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know," says Elisabeth in a lighthearted tone. "I've never tried!"

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:17 pm
by Tabs

"I must confess, I've never tried as well!" says Dr. Renwick.

Mingzhu says: "It's not so difficult--atop a horse who is walking."

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:55 pm
by aine
Santiago squeezes Elizabeth's hand. "I can teach you! It'll be good to back on a horse." He stands up, careful not to disturb the sleeping Posie. "We've got a couple of boxes in the luggage compartment; the wine for one thing; I'd better make sure it's unloaded. I should be back before we arrive, but if not, I'll meet you on the platform. Henry, if I see Bo, shall I send him here so you and Elizabeth can talk to him; persuade him?"

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, I look forward to riding lessons," says Elisabeth with a smile. "I think I can convince Bo, if you leave me enough money to pay him."

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 am
by Tabs
"Yes, it would be useful to have Bo with us," says Dr. Renwick; "ask the porter to come see us."

Santiago hands over to Elisabeth his remaining money,--it amounts to $20--and leaves for the baggage carriage.
$,I haven't kept track of money, so if you disagree, let me know.
"Look," says Mingzhu, "the train has entered Chengchow's suburbs. We'll be at the station in 10 minutes."
OOC:   Santiago, move to "An American in China" topic.  

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth turns to look out the window at the approaching city.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:04 am
by Tabs

Posie rubs her knuckles against her tired eyes. "Are we there yet?"

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:21 pm
by Tabs
Bo, followed by Caroline, enters the compartment.

"Doctor?" says he to Renwick.

"Ah--yes---" starts Dr. Renwick. He looks round the compartment. "How can I phrase it so that Bo understands that we want him to come with us?"

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 pm
by Tabs
Dr. Renwick, with Elisabeth's help, conveys to Bo that they want him to come along as an interpreter. Bo agrees for a fee of $1 per day.

The Peking-Hankow Express pulls to a halt in Chengchow station. The time is 5.00 p.m.

Mingzhu takes Posie by the hand. "This is where we get off."

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:10 am
by aine

Santiago meets them in the corridor. As the train slows he stick his head out of the door window and looks at the multitudinous hoard on the platform, "We'd better stick close together; it's a, how you say, bun fight out there. We'll make sure to get the luggage first- before anyone else does." He finishes, catching Caroline's eye.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:48 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles, a curious glint in her eyes.

"Looks like we'll have to wrestle."

"We'd probably do best to leave the luggage in a store room while we sort out our paperwork. It would be even better if someone managed to get us a car or truck while we're stuck in administration."

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm
by Tabs
The station platform is crowded, just like Santiago guessed it would be. Caroline, Santiago, Dr. Renwick, Elisabeth and Mingzhu, with Posie in-between the last two, alight from the locomotive to the concrete. Mingzhu holds a business-like chat with Bo, who is still with the group:

"The porter says he will store our luggage at the station for us," relays Mingzhu; "when we need him we will find him here; he must leave us to fulfill his current duties."

"We need to find a hotel or something," says Dr. Renwick.

Beside the group are the members of the Swastika Society.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm
by aine

"You're right, Henry. We'll need a base for a day or two; we need to visit Mr. Norrin at Cheng Kung University Hospital and get a truck and supplies." He looks at the swastika team, "I wonder where these men are staying? I suppose we'd better find the office for paperwork and red tape - everyone happy with our story? Ms Lamarr is taking us to see the monastery."

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can always stay at the Swastika Society compound," suggests Elisabeth. "One of them invited us to stay there when I was speaking to him earlier."

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 pm
by Cearlan

I wrinkle my brow as I cast my mind towards what I know of the Swastika Society. "The Swastika Society is a buddhist charitable society and whilst they are more than able, willing even, to provide shelter, it may be a bit basic for some tastes. The being said, it may be a better place to maintain a lower profile than whatever hotel is in this town."

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 am
by Tabs
"Somewhere to stay," muses Mingzhu, thinking about their lack of funds. She looks indecisively at Elisabeth: "A place that is free; we only need to stop for tonight." She says to Dr. Renwick: "What you say sounds encouraging," and then, "Señor el Aguila, what do you decide?"

The Swastika Society members are leaving. . . .

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:38 pm
by aine
"Ahh, well in that case, definitely the Swastika compound. I didn't realise you'd been chatting to them. And as to rustic accommodation, we'd better start get used to it. Which is the man we should ask?" says Santiago.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 am
by DrPeterson

A smug grin appears on Caroline's face for a moment at the mention of more rustic accommodation.

"I have to agree, it would be easier to lose yourself amongst the society's members than in a hotel. Isn't that the man you were chatting with earlier, Elisabeth?"

She indicates one of the men in the group.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's the chap," says Elisabeth. She hurries after the Swastika Society men and calls out to the one she recognizes.
Mandarin Chinese,[color=violet]"Excuse me!"[/color] calls [b]Elisabeth[/b]. [color=violet]"May we accompany you? I'd like to take you up on your earlier offer."[/color]

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 am
by Tabs
OOC:   New topic: "Under the Sign of the Swastika"