Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth takes a deep breath and lowers her voice. "We survived a massacre last night," she says in a near whisper. "A massacre perpetrated by soldiers of the Empire of Japan. As witnesses, we are still in danger."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Santiago watches Caroline's reaction very carefully.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

I raise my canteen to my mouth as Caroline begins to speak. Flicking a quick glance to Santiago I see his attention is already riveted on the brash American lady ... if indeed lady she is. I sip my water canteen as I look keenly at Caroline over the rim watching how she reacts to Elizabeth's disclosure.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline takes Elisabeth's hands in hers and lets out an admiring sigh.

"Oh Elisabeth, you are so brave."

She smiles warmly at Posie .

"And your daughter too."

Looking up at the others, her face expressionless, she says:

"But if you were attacked by the Japanese, why didn't you go to the local administration? Or the Embassy? "
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"It wasn't safe. Certainly not with Posie; we were hiding right until we boarded this train. Maybe once we are clear we can stop and take stock." Santiago rubs his eyes, "It's been a long couple of days." He's surprised at Caroline's control, but then again, maybe it isn't so surprising.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline raises an appraising eyebrow at Santiago.

"I can imagine, you should tell me the details some time."

She smiles charmingly as she reclines in her seat.

"I mean when the memory is less fresh or painful, of course."

"Not that I mean to pry, but why Sinkiang? Sichuan would have taken you closer to India and the British there and there's no way the Japanese could infiltrate that deep without being stopped."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Caroline," says Elisabeth with a smile. "Some of the survivors are heading to the Embassy in Peking, including the Ambassador's aide. But that is a dangerous route, one the Japanese would expect us to take. We have our reasons for our choice of destination, though I don't know if they would make sense to you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago lapses into a moody silence and stares out of the window, watching the paddy fields go by as the train winds its way through the countryside.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

"My father was murdered," says Mingzhu in a strained voice, her eyes moist. "He was hosting a party at the Golden Pumpkin Restaurant, it's a station you'd have passed through, Caroline."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline offers Mingzhu a sympathetic look.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mingzhu, Someone who could bring forth such an admirable daughter, must have been an exceptional man."

She seems to be lost in thought for a moment.

"I don't particularly seem to recall passing by a Pumpkin, however, Golden or otherwise."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

"The Golden Pumpkin is not a station as such so you may not have recognised it under that name." I interject quietly, mmy eyes focussing on the middle distance as I remember my great friend Vladimir Kolchack and his stoic wife, Tatsuo and his terrible mother; God rest her soul, and the Italian Mario Giovanni. My mind goes over again how I missed the fever in Vladimir resulting in my having to amputate his limbs to save his life. I hang my head, partly to give some gravity to what I was saying but also to hide the stinging of the tears welling up in my eyes.

"We lost a few good friends back there - but it also served to have brought us together, the Lady Mingzhu, the good family of Santiago, Elizabeth and Posie and, of course myself. Ah, enough to say that certain indications were that the local administration was under Japanese influence, and we sent some of our group East to the British Embassy to let them know of the events at the restaurant." Realising I had said more than I had intended to I coughed and promptly stood, made an excuse and went to stand in the corridor whilst I regained my composure. After a few moments I returned to the compartment offering my apologies once more.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth nods solemnly. "We couldn't save everyone," she says, "but justice will be done for those who didn't survive."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline tries to hide her surprise behind a sympathetic face.

"I don't think there are words suited to convey my sympathy for what you have experienced."

She stares out of the window in contemplation for a few moments and then says:

"I can help you out in China, but if you're going to the Sovjet Union, I won't be able to assist you."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"British India, not the Soviet Union." Mingzhu adds: "The party was held in honour of Peter Fleming and Ella Maillart. After we waved goodbye to them at the station the guests retired to the Golden Pumpkin Restaurant, later that evening--last night!--the awful events started. These two, Fleming and Maillart," continues Mingzhu, "are attempting to cross Sinkiang to Kashmir--secretly, of course, because the Chinese Government, if aware, would not permit it. It seemed it would be wise for us to 'disappear,' so we decided to attempt the same feat. Our stated intention of visiting the monastery of Kumbum, which is permitted, is true; it is also en route to Sinkiang." Mingzhu shoots a furtive glance at Santiago.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline smiles, amused by the thought of every last Westerner in China disappearing into Sinkiang.

"I've read Maillart's Turkestan Solo, it was a very inspiring read."

Her smiles turns into a grin.

"But if you're heading into Kashmir, I may be of a little more service. I happen to be on a scientific mission with a destination more western than Kumbum."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago does not really hear the beginning of Mingzhu's explanation; he too is reliving last night's adventure and tragedy; the surreal drugged performance that ended in shocking death, the mad escape from the guarded carriage and subsequent floundering through the black mud of the paddy fields.

A small smile escapes as he remembers his and Henry's crazy fight in the pitch black with the armed soldiers. And then the old mill, the wounded escapees, and the huge silhouette of Tatsao lit up by the flash of the grenade as he stormed a rescue. How they got from there to the sanctuary of the mission he can't remember, except it involved a hole and an acerbic old woman. The deaths of their newly-made friends weigh heavy in his memory and he looks with understanding as Henry leaves the carriage.

Then he pulls himself together, promising to himself and Kolchak's spirit to get the others through to safety. He looks up with a smile, "There's nothing like outwitting the government - of any country!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth smiles too. "It sounds like you two are starting to get along," she says. "I'm glad of it. We're going to be seeing a lot more of each other on the journey ahead."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I should hope so."

She takes out her knife and cuts open the melon she bought earlier. After having sliced up one half, she slowly sucks the juice from the blade and puts it away.

"Melon anyone?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Posie snuggles against Santiago.

"No thanks, Caroline."
"I've read Maillart's Turkestan Solo, it was a very inspiring read."
"Father spoke to Peter Fleming," says Mingzhu conversationally, "apparently his last book is One's Company, a fact that isn't lost on the pair of adventurers; father gathered that they are together only by necessity, not 'close' friends at all.

"Did you get the local newspaper, Elisabeth?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Well, conversation tends to be what one sided, I imagine. But then again, no one to keep you awake with their snoring either."

She smiles tenderly as she casts a glance at Santiago, and at Posie asleep against him.

"How sweet."

She then looks back at Mingzhu.

I'm afraid I didn't, darling. Maybe one of the locals did, we could ask someone from the staff.

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”