Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Tabs »

Express is a hopeful misnomer; Elisabeth, Renwick and Santiago watch as the dilatory locomotive wends its way towards them through the awakening landscape of this sunny, Spring morning. It stops in-between the earth embankments of the water-filling station; as it pulls-up a conductor, with whistle and flag, jumps down opposite the party.

"Ask the conductor if important westerners can come aboard, and journey to Chengchow," requests Father Pierrepont of Mingzhu; she converses with the conductor.

Mingzhu turns round and says: "He demands payment--a bribe."

"But I've spent all of my pocket money," shrugs Posie sadly.

Santiago remembers the coins which Father Anselm gave to him; after Mingzhu haggles with the conductor Santiago pockets the remaining $10.

The guard ports their luggage into the freight wagon and everyone climbs into the first-class carriage. It is overheated inside which is a reminder that outside it is cool--the early morning frost still glistens. Father Pierrepont, stood beside the Mission's truck and shading his eyes from the low sun, waves enthusiastically as the locomotive puffs away.

The first-class carriage has two compartments: the first is packed with middle-aged men wearing old-fashioned suits, on the glass of the door is taped a poster "Swastika Society"--a kind of Buddhist Red Cross; the second is empty, apart from a young lady, who sits slumped on the velveteen upholstered bench, staring outside as the locomotive passes through a dirty, mean village.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth has to remind herself that the Swastika means something different in this part of the world, and that it had been in use for centuries before the Nazis stole and inverted it.

"Good morning, Miss," she says, smiling at the woman.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Santiago peers into the first half of the carriage and then follows Elizabeth and Posie, he nods to the young woman. "May we join you in this carriage, Senora? The other half is very crowded."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

The woman is startled by the sudden appearance in the carriage and she flashes a bright smile as she looks over you, her eyes seems to sparkle a little extra as they pass over the rugged Hispanic, but she focuses on the young woman.

"My! Aren't you the sweetest thing!"

She speaks in a heavy American accent, obviously from New England to those acquainted with the tongue, and she stands up. The woman is a towering figure, her length accented by the khaki riding trousers and high boots she is currently wearing. She takes Elisabeth's hand and presses it firmly, giving her a toothy smile. As she shakes hands with Santiago, she introduces herself.

"Please, please, sit down and tell me all about yourself. I'm Caroline Lamarr!"

Finally, she turns to Posie, leaning down to look the girl in the eyes as she pats her shoulder.

"Well, aren't you cute as a button! You'll grow up to be even prettier than your mama! I can see in your eyes that you're already very clever!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth takes a seat next to Caroline. "My name is Elisabeth," she says, in an accent straight out of Old England. "Elisabeth el Aguila. I'd like you to meet my husband Santiago and our daughter Posie." She gets a thrill from introducing them this way for the first time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Caroline Lamarr said: "I can see in your eyes that you're already very clever!"

"Well, I did get top marks in my geography test," says Posie proudly. The little girl slips her arm round Elisabeth's, giggling shyly as she does so.

Mingzhu sits down, very demure, her knees tightly together, and with a thin smile upon her lips.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I bet you did, darling!"

The tall woman ruffles Posie's hair and then looks at Minghzu, welcoming her in heavily accented Mandarin before resuming her seat.

"So, what brings such a fine company as yourself to the deep dark of China's bowels?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Zǎo ān," replies Mingzhu.

Dr. Renwick enters the compartment. "Those fellows next door are on a tour of towns and villages, reporting on sanitation and whatnot--at least, I think that's what was said!" He nods to Caroline: "How do you do, madam."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline smiles as Renwick appears.

"How do you do, sir? Please, please, sit down. And I thought this was going to be quiet and lonesome trip."

She laughs a throaty laugh and leans back in her seat.

"You're quite the travelling company."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Caroline, I'd like you to meet Dr. Henry Renwick, a friend of my husband's, and our guide Mingzhu," says Elisabeth. "Both of you, this is Miss Caroline Lamarr." She addresses Caroline. "We're on our way to Chengchow, and from there to explore the interior of China. What brings you this way?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"A pleasure, Dr. Renwick."

Caroline returns her attention to Elisabeth,

"Chengchow is where the party is at, my dear, or at least where the governor's yamen is. They sure do love their paperwork around here. But I'm on my way west, I'm planning to visit the Kumbum monastery in Chinghai province. I am an archaeologist, you see, detached to China by the Explorers Club."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago nods politely to the woman and then sits down next to Elizabeth. He takes her hand and holds it; he frowns, trying to look unconcerned and blasé. "This Kumbum monastery. Senora, is it famous? I haven't heard of it before."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth smiles and squeezes Santiago's hand. "Oh, how fascinating!" she says, "We're going west too, but we're bound for Sinkiang."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline smiles warmly at Santiago.

Kumbum Monastery was founded in the 16th century and it is held to be one of the most sacred sites in Buddhism. It is, or rather was, home to the Tree of Great Merit, a sandalwood tree that held the teachings of the Buddha on its leaves. According to legend, the tree sprouted from the blood of Tsongkhapa, the founder of the Yellow Hat branch of Tibetan Buddhism.

She tucks a lock of auburn hair behind her ear and continues.

"I am more interested of the temple that stood on the grounds before the monastery was built. Places of worship tend to not change over the centuries and I believe that a much older religion was celebrated here before there was ever mention of Buddhism."

At Elisabeth's interjection, her eyes widen considerably. they dart to Minghzhu and then back to the English girl. She lowers her voice considerably, leaning closer.

"That is a name you should not say so loudly, Elisabeth el Aguila! That province is off limits to foreigners, what business or madness could prompt you to go there?"
Last edited by DrPeterson on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"'The sandalwood tree': I have heard of it, Miss Lamarr," speaks Mingzhu in good English; she is clearly impressed with Caroline.

"Cigarette, anyone?" She pulls open a window. Mingzhu glances round the compartment, "I know you don't smoke, Elisabeth; do you, Posie?" "Really, Auntie M.," laughs Posie. Mingzhu inhales on a cigarette thoughfully.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"We are heading in that general direction. Not to that place specifically. Of course. Your temple sounds very interesting Senora Lamarr; and the religion that you speak of, does it have a name? Do you have any imagery?" Santiago's other hand goes unconsciously to his neck where a thong can just be seen.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Well, I don't have any imagery -on me-, Mr Aguila."

Caroline almost purrs the words, a feline smile touching her lips.

"I am convinced that the origins of humanity can be traced to the Himalayas, it would be logical that religion existed there long before humanity spread over the world and took its beliefs with it, diluting it over time and space. The many similarities of many of the world's religions indicate this to be a more than plausible theory and I intend to backtrack as far as I can."

She pulls a hipflask from her pack, takes a sip and offers it to the fellowship as she graciously accepts Minghzu's cigarette.

"It so happens Kumbum is on the route to Sinkiang, or whatever your destination 'in that direction' may be."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,D'oh! :oops: I'd forgotten about Sinkiang being off-limits. That'll teach me to post without sleeping. Well, [b]Elisabeth[/b] is as exhausted as I am, so we'll just chalk it up to that.

"Perhaps, since it's on our route, we could take a look at the temple with you," says Elisabeth. "It does sound fascinating."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC:,Hehe, lucky for you, this isn't the Orient Express ;)

"Well, that's settled then! I'd be glad to show you around!"

Caroline smokes the cigarette, savouring the deeply perfumed Chinese taste as she looks out the window and then turns to the company again.

"I was planning on going hunting near Lake Koko Nor, for game and for picture, it's near the monastery. If you're into sports, you'd be welcome to join."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago raises an eyebrow and goes to accept the hip flask but then thinks twice and declines with a shake of his head, looking at Posie ruefully. Then, at the invitation to the temple his eyes light up, "I'd--we'd like that very much, thank you Senora. I'd be interested in some hunting also. What sort of game is there at the monastery?"

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”