Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Cearlan »

I return to the compartment in time to hear Caroline's comment about getting a newspaper from one of the staff. "When Santiago and I were back there playing cards with the guards, they became very officious after the last station. Not sure if they had a change of personnel or not, but there was a definite change in attitude from the head guard, Deng. So maybe we should avoid that route. One of the guards, Bo, hails from Western provinces, he may be willing to be our guide of we can persuade him."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I bought a local newspaper on the platform, Mingzhu," says Elisabeth, offering it to her. "Here you go." She too can't help beaming when she sees how adorable Posie looks cuddled up against Santiago.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

"I wonder why this Deng behaved like he did, Dr. Renwick?" wonders Mingzhu. "Anyway, it would be helpful to recruit Bo,--"Mingzhu receives the newspaper from Elisabeth--"knowledge of Sink---" She reads aloud the headline:

"Catastrophe at Golden Pumpkin, fire ravages Restaurant, all perish!"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I look both startled and thoughtful at the headline. "The Japanese officer I spoke to claimed he was just following orders and that he had been after the host who he labelled," Henry pauses and looks with sorrow at Mingzhu. "I apologise here Mingzhu, these were the officer's words not mine, that the Golden Pumpkin's owner was in fact a criminal. Not that I believed this for a moment of course" I add hastily. "It does seem obvious though that he was covering his tracks. Now it will be difficult to substantiate our version of events as he has removed all evidence at one fell swoop."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Does that mean that everyone thinks we died in the fire? The authorities won't be happy when the others turn up alive and well at the embassy; it'll mean more paperwork for starters. I suppose the newspaper is government controlled; so they are either covering it up or they've been duped well."

Santiago shifts his weight slightly so Posie is more comfortable. He considers the fact of his alleged death; it might throw his pursuers of the scent for a while. He smiles to himself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I guess it makes sense that they'd burn the place down to hide the evidence," says Elisabeth. "It's a bit odd to hear about my own death in the newspaper. My poor mother must be heartbroken..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I have a sad look on my face. "I wonder if there is some way we can get in touch ... do you think our 'friends' might be able to get word out from the embassy?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's possible," says Elisabeth. "The embassy has telephones, and it can receive telegrams. If we can find a telephone when we get to our stop, we can give them a call. Failing that, we can send a telegram. If you're worried about it being intercepted, I can encrypt it. I know the diplomatic code." As a secretary at the embassy, she's often encoded and decoded messages.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"I would advise against it. I don't think you'll find many telephones where we are going and those telegraphs can easily be intercepted by anyone. If your pursuers lost your trace, an encrypted message from Kumbum will most certainly put them on your trail again."

She looks at Renwick, a serious but comforting expression on her face.

"I understand your concern for your family and friends, but they'll be much more relieved to see you back alive than to get a reassuring telegram and then never hear from you again."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I meant that we could send it from Chengchow," says Elisabeth, "but I see your point."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mingzhu says to Santiago: "I suppose everyone will believe we are dead,--for now--we have a few days in limbo until Mr. Grey returns to the Embassy, initiates an investigation, and 'they' realise that there are survivors, and we"--she glances at the faces in the carriage--"are drawn back to life . . . and perilous danger.

"Caroline is right to be cautious," continues Mingzhu, "but I understand the Doctor's wish to inform friends. And yes, Elisabeth, we'll be in Chengchow for a few days buying supplies for the journey ahead, so maybe we can send an encrypted telegram from there?" She raises a finger: "Ooh, don't forget Mr. Norrin at Cheng Kung University Hospital, Chengchow, Prof. Pavlov said he'd wire money to him for us."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, that's right," says Elisabeth. "We'll certainly need it on the journey ahead. I've already spent much of what little I had on the platform."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"And I promised we'd stop in at the mission at Lanchow; we've got that wine to deliver." Santiago muses. "What's the next stop and when do we get off - does anyone know? Or shall I go and find out? We boarded so elusively I didn't pay much attention to the route."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   If Caroline does not know, I will volunteer to ask Deng or Bo - whoever I encounter first, either which is the next station or which is the nearest station to Lanchow.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC:   I'm sure Tabs will prompt me regarding Caroline's knowledge of the track ;)  
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   See "Map" topic. It's a large image, so if you press "CTRL" and "-" you can see everything. The locomotive is in the East of China, puffing along from Peking to Hankow, at Chengchow, which is the next city on the track, another (minor) track goes to Sian, which is the end of the line. Lanchow, which Santiago mentions, can be reached by road. Follow the red line on the map--the route actually taken by Fleming and Maillart. Beyond Lanchow is the monastery of Kumbum and lake Koko Nor.

Thanks, Dr. Renwick, but Caroline already :) has a good grasp of the geography.  
Deng, the conductor, pokes his head into your compartment.

"Chengchow--one hour."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"In Chengchow we can change trains onto Sian, that was the path I was planning on taking. We should be able to procure cars there to take us into Lanchow and then on to Kumbum.", she says knowingly
OOC:   Muahaha  
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Then, Caroline, it looks as though our paths are intertwined for the time being." I muse aloud. "Did you say you were heading for Sian?" I ask innocently, a winning smile on my face.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline's smiles is golden as she looks at Renwick.

"Why, Doctor Renwich, am I mistaken or are you actually looking forward to the prospect of travelling in my company? But yes, there is no direct route to Kumbum, so Sian is a necessary stop on the way."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What's in Sian?" asks Elisabeth, curious.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”