Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Tabs »

"Not a lot, Elisabeth," replies Mingzhu; "Sian is a walled town, the terminus of the track, and somewhere we can buy food, but that is about it. Any equipment we want needs to be purchased in Chengchow."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Sian used to be the Western Capital of the Han dynasty. Although it used to house many great structures, most of the city was razed around a thousand years ago. One of the finest monuments left is the Pagoda of the Giant Wild Goose. It was built during the first millennium but saw some heavy restoration under the Ming dynasty."

She smiles kindly.

"I'm sure you'll see as we ride into the city. I wasn't planning on stopping there for long though, but a stop is necessary as Sian as home to the governor of Shenshi Province and we'll need to pick up papers to continue on our way. I'd like to get to Kumbum as fast as possible. And if you're all being chased, I would suggest you do the same."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"I hope not all of us are being chased - at present - but we must be on the watch for anyone taking an interest in us." Santiago smiles, "More than usual, that is. Ms Lamarr, you have an offical reason for travelling to Sian and on to Kumbum. Can you think of one for a family and friends? You know the area; there may be something we could be visiting, would the monastery be reasonable under official scrutiny?"
Although he still doesn't trust Caroline it looks like they'll be with her for some time and they'll need a good relationship to get through the inevitable red tape to come. If she's with his enemy well, 'it'll all come out in the wash' as he'd once heard an English man say.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

She returns the smile.

"I'm pretty sure the amount of scrutiny will depend on the amount of money you slip between your passport acquisition form, Mr Aquilla. A visit to the monastery isn't unheard off, especially not one providing a few extra dollars to the officials. "
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I agree," says Elisabeth. "Visiting the monastery is already the reason I've given for heading west, and greasing the right palms will help tremendously."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"We'll arrive at Chengchow station in 45 minutes," says Mingzhu as she looks at the outlying farms.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm looking forward to it," says Elisabeth. "Everything from here on is unexplored territory for me, something new and wonderful to discover."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline smiles kindly at Elisabeth and then stands up.

"I'm going to make sure my luggage is properly set to be unloaded. "

She eyes the party with a feline glance and steps out onto the aisle.

"i'm sure you have a lot to talk about."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The time is approaching 4.30 p.m.; the sun has shone today, but it is still a cool February afternoon in China.
OOC:   Caroline, move to "American in China" topic.  
Mingzhu fingers the thin cloth of her dress. "I guess it is going to be cold outside."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago looks at Elizabeth thoughtfully and then, as Caroline leaves, he says casually, "Okay, we'll see you on the platform." And glances at Henry. Then he brightens up. "Don't worry Mingzu, once we get some funds we can buy some more clothes; we'll need to much warmer where we're going."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

I am deep in thought and don't see Santiago's glance. Snapping out of my reverie I add, "Don't forget that the higher we go, the colder it will get as well. So we need to make sure we are properly provisioned and attired. I'm not sure about the lay of the land out here, but water may prove to be something we have to consider, especially the further West we travel."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We'll have to ask Caroline exactly what we need when we see her again," says Elisabeth. "She has experience outfitting expeditions. Water and warm clothing are certainly a must. Food too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"we can't rely on Ms Lamarr for everything." Santiago gently admonishes Elizabeth. "Her path lies alongside ours only for the moment." He thinks for the moment. "I've been quite high in the Andes, tracking. To where a man has to slow down to breath. If we are planning to go that high..." He stops, wondering what exactly they were planning and how it would tie in with his own plans but now was not the time to divulge. "If we are planning to go that high, we'll need very warm clothes, furs even. Good quality food and some snow equipment; ropes, picks, even snowshoes maybe. But we may be lucky; some mountains are snow free even at high altitude."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, you're right," says Elisabeth. "The Himalayas are even higher than the Andes. In fact, they're the highest mountains in the world."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Oh yes!--a lovely fur coat," muses Mingzhu to herself, then as if realising she is not being as serious as she needs to be, "Transporting the right equipment is key, only items that can be carried by a horse,"--she ponders the desert oasis--"or a camel. Can everyone ride?" asks Mingzhu.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't know," says Elisabeth in a lighthearted tone. "I've never tried!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I must confess, I've never tried as well!" says Dr. Renwick.

Mingzhu says: "It's not so difficult--atop a horse who is walking."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago squeezes Elizabeth's hand. "I can teach you! It'll be good to back on a horse." He stands up, careful not to disturb the sleeping Posie. "We've got a couple of boxes in the luggage compartment; the wine for one thing; I'd better make sure it's unloaded. I should be back before we arrive, but if not, I'll meet you on the platform. Henry, if I see Bo, shall I send him here so you and Elizabeth can talk to him; persuade him?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, I look forward to riding lessons," says Elisabeth with a smile. "I think I can convince Bo, if you leave me enough money to pay him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, it would be useful to have Bo with us," says Dr. Renwick; "ask the porter to come see us."

Santiago hands over to Elisabeth his remaining money,--it amounts to $20--and leaves for the baggage carriage.
$,I haven't kept track of money, so if you disagree, let me know.
"Look," says Mingzhu, "the train has entered Chengchow's suburbs. We'll be at the station in 10 minutes."
OOC:   Santiago, move to "An American in China" topic.  

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”