Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth turns to look out the window at the approaching city.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Posie rubs her knuckles against her tired eyes. "Are we there yet?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Bo, followed by Caroline, enters the compartment.

"Doctor?" says he to Renwick.

"Ah--yes---" starts Dr. Renwick. He looks round the compartment. "How can I phrase it so that Bo understands that we want him to come with us?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Dr. Renwick, with Elisabeth's help, conveys to Bo that they want him to come along as an interpreter. Bo agrees for a fee of $1 per day.

The Peking-Hankow Express pulls to a halt in Chengchow station. The time is 5.00 p.m.

Mingzhu takes Posie by the hand. "This is where we get off."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Santiago meets them in the corridor. As the train slows he stick his head out of the door window and looks at the multitudinous hoard on the platform, "We'd better stick close together; it's a, how you say, bun fight out there. We'll make sure to get the luggage first- before anyone else does." He finishes, catching Caroline's eye.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline smiles, a curious glint in her eyes.

"Looks like we'll have to wrestle."

"We'd probably do best to leave the luggage in a store room while we sort out our paperwork. It would be even better if someone managed to get us a car or truck while we're stuck in administration."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The station platform is crowded, just like Santiago guessed it would be. Caroline, Santiago, Dr. Renwick, Elisabeth and Mingzhu, with Posie in-between the last two, alight from the locomotive to the concrete. Mingzhu holds a business-like chat with Bo, who is still with the group:

"The porter says he will store our luggage at the station for us," relays Mingzhu; "when we need him we will find him here; he must leave us to fulfill his current duties."

"We need to find a hotel or something," says Dr. Renwick.

Beside the group are the members of the Swastika Society.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"You're right, Henry. We'll need a base for a day or two; we need to visit Mr. Norrin at Cheng Kung University Hospital and get a truck and supplies." He looks at the swastika team, "I wonder where these men are staying? I suppose we'd better find the office for paperwork and red tape - everyone happy with our story? Ms Lamarr is taking us to see the monastery."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can always stay at the Swastika Society compound," suggests Elisabeth. "One of them invited us to stay there when I was speaking to him earlier."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

I wrinkle my brow as I cast my mind towards what I know of the Swastika Society. "The Swastika Society is a buddhist charitable society and whilst they are more than able, willing even, to provide shelter, it may be a bit basic for some tastes. The being said, it may be a better place to maintain a lower profile than whatever hotel is in this town."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Somewhere to stay," muses Mingzhu, thinking about their lack of funds. She looks indecisively at Elisabeth: "A place that is free; we only need to stop for tonight." She says to Dr. Renwick: "What you say sounds encouraging," and then, "Señor el Aguila, what do you decide?"

The Swastika Society members are leaving. . . .
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Ahh, well in that case, definitely the Swastika compound. I didn't realise you'd been chatting to them. And as to rustic accommodation, we'd better start get used to it. Which is the man we should ask?" says Santiago.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

A smug grin appears on Caroline's face for a moment at the mention of more rustic accommodation.

"I have to agree, it would be easier to lose yourself amongst the society's members than in a hotel. Isn't that the man you were chatting with earlier, Elisabeth?"

She indicates one of the men in the group.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's the chap," says Elisabeth. She hurries after the Swastika Society men and calls out to the one she recognizes.
Mandarin Chinese,[color=violet]"Excuse me!"[/color] calls [b]Elisabeth[/b]. [color=violet]"May we accompany you? I'd like to take you up on your earlier offer."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle