Page 1 of 1

Under the Sign of the Swastika

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:46 am
by Tabs

"Ah! The educated lady,"--he bows--"you are most welcome; and your friends." The man switches to halting English, beckoning to the others: "Come! come!" He sees Posie, who appears beside Dr. Renwick, she was hiding behind him--clutching, and tugging, at the tail of his tweed jacket. "A princess! We are honoured."

There are five Swastika Society men altogether. They are loading suitcases onto a dilapidated charabanc.

"I am Ouyang Kunpeng," continues the man, he bows once more. "Please--sit"--he indicates the charabanc.

OOC:   Make a Chinese language roll in order to converse without difficulty with the Society members; excepting Elisabeth, who has already succeeded in a roll.  

Re: Under the Sign of the Swastika

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:25 pm
by Cearlan

Mandarin Chinese roll - 30% skill (1d100=66)

"Ouyang, I am Henry Renwick, a doctor attached to ..." By the befuddled look on Ouyang's face, I can see that I am not getting on too well with this translation. I bow to him and his fellow buddhists and thank them for their hospitality as I help the ladies and everyone else up onto the charabanc. "This princess is Posie," I add in English, slightly embarrassed by my bad attempt at Mandarin.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She's my daughter," says Elisabeth, beaming with pride as she helps Posie up into the vehicle and lets her sit on her lap. "Thank you for your hospitality," she says to Ouyang Kunpeng.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:31 am
by aine
Santiago wonders at Caroline's wry humour - that they'll blend in more with the Swastika Monks - and grins as he follows the party. He smiles as Posie is introduced and then introduces himself, "Santiago el Aguila, sir, a pleasure to meet you." He doesn't attempt to speak Mandarin but bows instead. Once everyone is boarded, he takes a last look round to see if anyone is taking undue notice of them and then jumps aboard.
Mandarin,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4416430/]1d100=53[/url]

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:21 pm
by Tabs

Ouyang Kunpeng returns the bow to Renwick. "Doctor?" says he, and then rattles off some words at Mingzhu, who translates:

"Ouyang wishes that the honourable doctor will spare some of his time and address the Society with his experience," says Mingzhu.
"This princess is Posie,"
"Posie, POSIE," calls out Ouyang.

"Feng," gurgles Feng good humouredly. He reaches up to Posie and playfully tweaks her pigtail. Posie chuckles. "Lady Elisabeth," says he to the proud mother, and bows.

"My name is Jian. And my brother So."

"So," says So.

"Dao," says an ancient, looking in astonishment at Caroline's height.

Santiago looks round.
OOC:   Roll Spot Hidden.  
Feng takes the wheel of the charabanc, laughing: "Food!--talk!--bed!"

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:50 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline absent-mindedly got into the vehicle, trying to see if her gears was unloaded properly from the train.

Mandarin (39%),[dice]0[/dice]

When everybody introduces themselves, she takes her turn too.
Mandarin,I am Doctor [b]Lamarr[/b], but an entirely different doctor than Dr. [b]Renwick [/b]over here.
She smiles her charming smile at the new people, as she puts a friendly hand on Renwick's shoulder.

"I told them we're a different kind of doctor entirely, Dr. Renwick."

OOC:,I'll be gone for a few days, you guys and girl, I should be back on Thursday.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth bows in return.
Mandarin,[color=violet]"It is a pleasure to meet you all,"[/color] says [b]Elisabeth[/b] to the men from the Swastika Society.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 pm
by Cearlan

Henry tries to follow the Mandarin conversation, but without success such is the speed of the dialogue.

When Caroline puts her hand on my shoulder and whispers in my ear what had been said, saving my embarrassment I nod gratefully. "Thank you!" I respond quietly.

I smile and lower my head, embarrassed. "I'll be glad to, though what I can tell is not really that interesting. But I would be happy to give a talk to such venerable personages as yourselves Ouyang.* When introduced I bow respectfully to Jian, So, Feng and Dao.

Henry looks around and sees very little.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:40 am
by aine
Santiago starts, did he just see something over there?
spot hidden,(65%)[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4422036/]1d100=64[/url]

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:22 pm
by Tabs
Santiago,On the platform, Deng, the Conductor, is talking to Bo. Santiago realises that their conversation is about the charabanc and themselves.
Feng starts-up the charabanc's engine.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:52 pm
by Tabs

Dao slides across his seat toward Caroline. He says in Mandarin:
Caroline & Elisabeth,"A different Doctor, what does that mean?" He pats Caroline's knee. "Are you married, Dr. Lamarr?"

Jian asks Elisabeth in Mandarin:
Elisabeth & Caroline,"Do you cook?"

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth smiles.
Mandarin,[color=violet]"Not very well, I'm afraid,"[/color] she says with self-deprecating humor. [color=violet]"I'm English!"[/color]

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:13 pm
by aine

Santiago frowns but says nothing as the jalopy pulls away.

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:16 pm
by Tabs

Mingzhu turns in her seat to face Elisabeth, archly raising an eyebrow.

"Will there be lots to eat?" asks Posie of Elisabeth.

Mingzhu whispers: "I hope so, Posie, but it sounds like we'll have to make it ourselves, and for everyone!"

"I s'pose I could peel a potato," says Posie helpfully.

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
Mandarin,[color=violet]"I'm sure I can manage,"[/color] [b]Elisabeth[/b] adds. [color=violet]"I'm no master chef, but what I make shouldn't taste too bad."[/color] The fact is that she doesn't have much experience cooking, as she has always had others prepare her food, whether her family's servants or the embassy staff. Still, she's seen food being cooked before, and it doesn't seem all that hard.

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:35 pm
by Tabs
Mr. Handy,There s/be a Cooking skill!

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:16 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I use Art(Cooking) for that. Amelia Delacroix in Zombie Apocalypse has it at 76%, so she [i]is[/i] a master chef.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:57 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline laughs and gingerly removes Dao's hand from her knee.

Mandarin,"[color=#0000BF]It means I study old, dead people, uncle, instead of patching up living ones. I am an archaeologist.[/color]" She uses the term "uncle" endearingly, to establish a friendly social relation and in the same move bar any romantic advances.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:41 pm
by Cearlan

I look askance at the dialogue between Elizabeth and Dao, understanding about one word in fifty. I look questioningly at Elizabeth hoping for some sort of explanation.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"He asked if I can cook," explains Elisabeth. "Apparently we'll be expected to prepare our own food."
OOC,I was talking to [b]Jian[/b]. [b]Caroline[/b] was talking to [b]Dao[/b].

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 am
by Tabs
ooc,[quote]I use Art(Cooking) for that. Amelia Delacroix in Zombie Apocalypse has it at 76%, so she is a master chef.[/quote]Okay. But what if Elisabeth rolls 100% ? ;)
Dao is a little put out that his advances toward Caroline have been thwarted; Jian and So giggle--as only Chinese men can; Ouyang looks intently at the passing houses, seemingly oblivious to any international tension.

Feng drives through Chengchow town for five minutes. He pulls-up beside an alley.

"Up these steps, Lady Elisabeth," says Ouyang. The Society men jump down and begin unloading their suitcases. Ouyang offers Elisabeth a hand down.

Image --Ouyang

Image --Feng

Image --Jian

Image --So

Image --Dao

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 am
by aine
Santiago absently listens to the conversation whilst scanning the streets as they drive. He raises an eyebrow at Henry who looks just as flummoxed at the strange language as Santiago. When they pull up at the steps, He keeps a look out again for anyone watching them.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   Sorry I meant Caroline not Elisabeth.  

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline descends from the vehicle and looks around the alley.
Spot,[dice]0[/dice]

"Seems like an interesting place to stay while we get our papers sorted.", she says in English to no one in particular.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth, allowing Ouyang to help her down. Then she turns to help Posie down. She looks around at her surroundings, but she doesn't notice anything unusual. If I weren't wearing a wedding ring and with my "husband" and "daughter," she thinks, Dao would probably have made a move on me after failing with Caroline. Just as well. It would have been dashed uncomfortable for me, and it's bad enough he's had his heart broken once.
OOC,A roll of 100 would probably cause a kitchen fire!

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:22 pm
by Tabs
Feng drives off, presumably to park the charabanc someplace off of the street.
Santiago,Nothing noteworthy catches your attention.
Caroline,Nothing noteworthy catches your attention.
"Seems like an interesting place to stay while we get our papers sorted."
Mingzhu considers Caroline and is about to comment, but---

"This way, Aunty M.," says an excited Posie, taking two steps at a time. Mingzhu dutifully follows the little girl and Elisabeth.

Ouyang stops before a rather battered, unvarnished door. The Swastika Society compound frontage is miserable and, frankly, small. Ouyang produces an enormous antediluvian key. Jian speaks:
Elisabeth & Caroline,"Come on. We're exhausted," says Jian, "especially Dao, the old goat."

"We do what we can to help the ignorant," says So to Dr. Renwick in halting English.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:09 pm
by aine
Santiago climbs down and follows them to the door.
ooc,May be a bit sparse with posting the next few days: getting married friday.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth waits for Ouyang to unlock the door so that she can go inside with Posie.
OOC,Congratulations! :D

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:07 pm
by Cearlan

I bristle with indignation at being termed ignorant and raise myself up to my full height in front of So.

"Now look here old chap ... I'll have you know that I am not ignorant - I am a fully qualified medical doctor and have recently been working on the archeological site at Zhoukoudian. I resent that just because my grasp of Mandarin is not as good as it could be, that I am some backward yokel. If the roles were reversed and this was my country, you would not be treated so shabbily not be insulted so!" I turn and stomp away from So.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:40 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline laughs as she follows the others into the compound, it's not quite sure if it's Dao or Renwick she's amused by.

Mandarin,[color=#0000BF]He didn't look that exhausted to me![/color]

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:35 am
by aine
Santiago too, stifles a smile.
ooc,Ta!

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm
by Tabs
ooc,I am very happy for you Mrs. aine. Cheered me when I read your comment last Thursday.
So looks at Renwick's back with a puzzled frown.

Jian guffaws as he says to Caroline:
Caroline & Elisabeth,"You are right, big lady, but I was only thinking of Dao--he has a weak heart." "Did I hear my name?" enquires Dao gormlessly.
Ouyang opens the door and steps into a kitchen. He reveals the fireplace, utensils and food with a wave of his hand.

Ouyang says in Mandarin,"Here we are, Western ladies, everything you need to prepare a feast for us all."

"Flour, eggs, cabbage--yuk! And two chickens," says Posie, pointing to a wooden cage containing live birds.

Mingzhu whispers,"I am not killing those!"

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Will two chickens even be enough for everyone?" asks Elisabeth. "I'm hungry enough that I think I could eat a whole one myself. I don't think I'm strong enough to wring their necks, however. Is there any bread? With that and the eggs we could make French toast. Failing that, I think I could scramble them."

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:13 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline looks over the proffered kitchen with indignant eyes.

Mandarin,[color=#0000BF] I didn't realise that the rules of hospitality had taken such a bad turn that guests were now expected to cater their hosts.[/color]

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:20 am
by aine

Santiago takes one look at the chickens and picks up their cage. "Back in a while." He disappears back outside where he breaks their necks and then sets about plucking them in a big flurried mess of feathers.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 pm
by Tabs
"Will two chickens even be enough for everyone?" asks Elisabeth.
"We could try our luck at chicken stew," suggests Mingzhu; "and how about pancakes?"

"Is there any syrup?" asks Posie hopefully.

As for quantity, there are plenty of eggs. . . .

A crestfallen Ouyang answers Caroline:
Mandarin,"But we are sharing our food with you, Dr. Lamarr. Besides, you are good cooks?"

"The honourable Ouyang Kunpeng believes you to be French," explains So.

Dao and Jian, carrying their luggage, leave the kitchen.
Santiago takes one look at the chickens . . .

Feng climbs the alley steps, hunkers down next to Santiago, grabs the second deceased bird, and begins to pluck feathers as well. "Yīgè rén de xíngdòng, hǎo yàng de!"

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"I did mention that I'm English," says Elisabeth. "Chicken stew and pancakes are a great idea! Chicken stew will make the meat go further, and there are a lot of eggs, so we can always scramble some up. It's hard to get that wrong, and even I should be able to manage that; I just need to measure or count out three minutes. I'd like syrup with the pancakes too, but I wouldn't count on it. It would have to be imported from Canada or America."

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:22 am
by Tabs
"English or French--you all appear the same to us," replies So dryly.

Posie "flumps" down upon a bench, annoyed at the lack of imported syrup.

"Fires--that I can manage," says Mingzhu, kneeling down beside the hearth. "Would someone fetch water?"

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll get it," says Elisabeth, looking around for a suitable container. "Is there a sink with running water, or do I need to draw it from a pump or well?"

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:12 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth is given an amphorae type jug and directions to a well in the courtyard beyond. Posie skips alongside of her. Elisabeth passes through a low ceiled room with row upon row of pamphlets stacked against its walls; she continues outside to the well. Raised voices can be heard coming from buildings to one side.

"A kitten!" coos the little girl, picking up a tabby who is crouched beside the handle and bucket. "I shall name you Jemima"--Posie notices the furry pompoms between the kitten's hind legs--"or maybe Jeremy." She is also clutching a book.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 pm
by Cearlan

I look out of a window at the street / steps outside trying not to be offended by johnny foreigner here, I mean after all, it is jolly decent of them to put us up at the drop of a hat and all that. <Harrumph!>

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aww..." says Elisabeth, grinning at the sight of Posie holding the kitten. "Looks like you've found a new friend." She begins to lower the bucket into the well. "What are you reading?"

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:14 am
by Tabs

"Dr. Renwick, Dr. Renwick," calls So, "I believe there has been a misunderstanding--my English, you know--I meant that the Chinese peasant is ignorant."--So's English is just about intelligible.

"It was in the dust, underneath Jeremy." Posie hands over the book to Elisabeth.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:40 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline hangs around, clearly not intent on participating in the cooking.
Mandarin:,Is the governor's administration far from here?

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better show that to Ouyang, in case someone lost it," says Elisabeth. "It's in French, which I can't read. Can you? If not, at least it has pictures."

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:29 pm
by Tabs
Caroline hangs around, clearly not intent on participating in the cooking.
Mingzhu blows at some straw she lit with a match, and "whump," twigs ignite and a fire burns merrily. She shoots Caroline an expressionless glance.
Ouyang answers Caroline,It is near to the train station. Have I offended you, Dr. Lamarr? If so, I am truly sorry.

Posie struggles mentally, then she says: "Non."

Elisabeth fills the amphorae jug with well water and picks it up; thankfully its not too heavy.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, whoever it belongs to will know French," says Elisabeth, hefting the jug. "Perhaps they'll translate it for you when you return it." She leads the way back to the kitchen.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 pm
by Cearlan
Tabs wrote:
"Dr. Renwick, Dr. Renwick," calls So, "I believe there has been a misunderstanding--my English, you know--I meant that the Chinese peasant is ignorant."--So's English is just about intelligible.

When I hear So call out to me I grit my teeth and turn to face him. I am somewhat ashamed at my poor reaction to the gentle Chinaman. Henry speaks Mandarin - 57/30% - poorly

"<Harrumph!> Yes ... well ... perhaps I was too hasty. My nerves are overwrought just now and recent events have left me somewhat shaken. Please So, accept my apologies for taking umbrage at what you said." I bow to the Chinaman and smile apologetically, hoping my Mandarin is not too bad.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:34 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline gives Ouyang one of her most disarming smiles.

Mandarin:, Oh, of course not, I am most grateful for your hospitality. I was just thinking about the endless formalities we'd have to face in procuring our paperwork. It find it to be such a nuissance.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:00 pm
by aine
Santiago looks up with thanks as Feng hunkers down to help. He has no idea what the fellow says but spits out a feather and grins.
ooc,[quote]"A kitten!" coos the little girl... furry pompons [/quote] Brilliant description!

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:57 pm
by Tabs
"Thank you, Elisabeth," says Mingzhu taking the jug and filling a pot.

So says to Renwick: "I'm afraid for your Mandarin, it is,"--he thinks, eyes searching--"er, the word, the word,--awful! No?" So adds: "I am to buy wine for our dinner. Would you care to accompany me?--the shop is not far."
Ouyang says to Caroline,"Alas, it is the Chinese way, delay, and more delay--no one will make a decision."
ooc,[quote]furry pompoms[/quote] It's what we call Dexter's whenever he wants his tummy rubbed.
Feng produces a wicked looking knife, and proceeds to gut his chicken. He gestures to Santiago "Shall I do yours?"

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm
by Cearlan

I smile and look down. "I would consider it a privilege So. And I promise I'll not try Mandarin again. It would be impolite to offend our host's ears after all." I bow deeper than I did before, laugh and genially clap So on the shoulder. "Come So, let us fetch the wine and you can tell me about your organisation. I only know the sketchiest of details."

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, Mingzhu" says Elisabeth. She bows to Ouyang. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but Posie found an adorable kitten and a book in French when we were at the well: Miss Harriet. Do you know if anyone misplaced them?"

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:13 pm
by aine

Santiago shakes his head and reaches for his own hunting knife. Then he remembers how he lost it somewhere in the paddy fields. He shrugs and sheepishly hands over his chicken to Feng, "Any chance you can get me a knife like that? I lost mine recently and feel naked without it." He asks, trying to mime the request too.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 am
by Tabs

So walks with Renwick. "Education--education is the key to unlock the potential of China. We, the Swastika Society of Chengchow, offer advice on health matters to villagers--basic sanitation, clean drinking water, etc. Is it the same in your country? I mean, do the peasants need educating?"

"Chi-chi!" exclaims Ouyang at the kitten.

"Jeremy," responds Posie firmly.

Ouyang peers at the book.
In Mandarin,"No, I have never seen it before. 'French'--you cannot read these words?"

"Shì ma?" says Feng, from his tone of voice Santiago surmises it to mean "Eh?"

Mingzhu pops her head out the front door. "Are the chickens prepared, Señor el Aguila?"

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00 pm
by Cearlan

"I completely agree So. I believe that education is vital in order that every person can achieve their potential. In the last thirty years or so, we have been implementing similar plans. Replacing unsanitary conditions, and although we did not have too much in the way of undrinkable water, it seemed to be in the city centres that there was this problem. It is still going on in the Northern cities. where the industrial revolution of the last century hit hardest." I crease my forehead in concentration, trying to remember the history lessons from my school-days.

"I think that what you term peasants do not exist as such in my country, instead we have the tattered remnants of an outdated class system. The term peasants are a throw-back to the feudal times in Great Britain. But call them what you will, the man at the bottom is still no higher up the ladder." I add wryly.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Mandarin,[color=violet]"No, I never did learn French,"[/color] says [b]Elisabeth[/b]. [color=violet]"Is there anyone who does staying here?"[/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline laughs.

"We're in the middle of China, happily talking away with the locals and we're unable to read a French book!"

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 am
by Tabs

So listens intently to Renwick, occasionally nodding. " 'The man at the bottom,' " repeats So. "I find that our help is hardly appreciated.

"Here is Mao's Wine Shop. As our guest, would you care to choose?"

~

Ouyang shakes his head at Elisabeth.

"No one speaks French," states Mingzhu to herself. She flourishes a flat-bottomed iron pot like a frying pan: "I nominate Chee Mingzhu as pancake fryer! So, that means batter mix for eleven. "Shame,"--she puts a finger to her mouth, thinking--"twelve would be a propitious number for our supper. Who could it be---"

"Mads Mortenson, the owner of the book,--he can be our twelfth," interrupts Jian as he enters the kitchen.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:31 pm
by Cearlan

I look at the labels which give no indication to my mind of what may lie within before I shake my head. "I must plead yet more ignorance friend So, These labels are not easily read by myself, and I would not want to bring shame on the table by making the wrong choice. Please - you know better than I what is good and what is not here." I add as I gesture towards the wine racks.
OOC:   Do I have any money on me? - if so I offer to pay at least something towards the wine.  

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, good," says Elisabeth, smiling at Posie. "When you return it to him later, he'll probably be happy to read it to you, translating it into English." She goes to help Mingzhu and looks for another pan. "I second the nomination, and I nominate myself to cook the eggs. There's twelve of us, and two eggs each would make two dozen eggs...though some of us are quite peckish, myself included. I'd better make three dozen, just in case."

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:36 am
by DrPeterson

"Mads Mortensen? Who is he?"

Caroline smiles.

"That's a very odd name for a member of the Society."

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:08 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Um, $20.  
Mao presents his goods for Renwick's inspection:

Pottery flasks of rice wine--$1; bottles of "grape alcohol"--$2; huangjui ("yellow wine")--$3; baijiu--distilled spirit--$5.

~

Posie takes the book. "I'm quite peckish too. Maybe . . . maybe I can crack the eggs?"

Mingzhu applauds the little girl: "Bravo! Those who help can expect the choice portions," she smiles playfully at Elisabeth, but not Caroline.

"Mads Mortenson is not a Society member," answers Jian, adding; "another stranger on a train who Ouyang invited to stay---"

"Ah!--Mortenson," says Ouyang.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:40 pm
by aine

Santiago points to Feng's knife and then to himself. He fishes in his pocket for any money he might have and holds it out to Feng.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's a great idea, Posie!" says Elisabeth, grinning too. "Would you like to keep time as well? I have to cook the eggs for three minutes. You could borrow my watch and count for me. That way I can concentrate on the cooking and don't need to worry about watching the time."

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:06 am
by Cearlan

"How many of us are there to provide drink for?" I ask. "I have some money and would of course buy what I can. Do you have any recommendations So? Enough of the huangjui for the ladies perhaps and baijiu for the men if we can afford it? Is there something we could maybe get for little Posie?"

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm
by Tabs
Feng carries the two disemboweled chickens into the kitchen, chattering to Mingzhu as he does so.

"Feng says to buy a knife in town, Señor," translates Mingzhu.

Feng cooks up the stew. The way he nonchalantly adds spices to the pot is evidence of his expertise, you hope.

"Well he seems to know what he is doing," says Mingzhu, not altogether convinced.

~

Posie claps and stamps with excitement: "Oh! yes please." She straps on Elisabeth's watch as if it were from the Crown Jewels.

~

"Good choices, Dr. Renwick," says So; "and thank you for your contribution. The girl can drink watered wine?"
OOC:   Do you wish to do or ask anything? if not we'll fast forward an hour to dinner.  

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC:   I could go for a bite to eat.  

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"What can you tell us about Mads Mortenson?" asks Elisabeth, curious.
OOC,Just one more question, then I'm ready to move forward.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:56 pm
by Tabs

"Ouyang met him on the train, about two weeks ago," replies Jian, "and invited Mads Mortenson to stay in the compound. We left him here when the Society visited Peking. He is still around; he slept in my bed last night! He seemed lonely, so it was suggested he visit the Western library in Chengchow."

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's probably where he got the book," says Elisabeth. "I look forward to meeting him."

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 pm
by aine
Santiago follows Feng into the kitchen, nods his thanks to Mingzhu and washes his hands under the tap. He still has a couple of feathers in his hair. "I'm sure this Mortenson will be home for dinner; he won't be able to resist the smell!" Santiago says appreciatively, watching Elizabeth and Feng cooking.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:09 pm
by Tabs
He seemed lonely, so it was suggested he visit the Western library in Chengchow."
" 'One is never alone with a book,' " quotes Mingzhu.

~

Dinner is a simple affair, but there are copious scrambled eggs, pancakes and chicken stew. The stew is deliciously spicy, however, it is not to the little girl's liking: too hot and cabbagey. "The chicken is alright, I s'pose," says Posie as she stuffs too much scrambled egg onto a pancake and rolls it. The table is long and narrow, the five Society men (Ouyang, So, Jian, Feng and Dao) face the Westerners, with Posie sat at the head of the table; opposite her is an empty chair for Mads Mortenson, who hasn't made an appearance. His book, Miss Harriet, sits on the table, waiting to be collected.

Santiago is disconcerted when a beak bobs up in his bowl.

So raises his cup aloft: "I propose a toast: Our guests!"

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:10 pm
by aine
"To our honoured hosts." Santiago returns the toast. "What could we do to return your kind gesture?" He asks the society men, hoping Mingzhu will translate.

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:07 pm
by Cearlan

"To our hosts goes much honour and I hope good fortune!" I add half standing and bowing slightly to each of the Chinamen in turn.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth raises her glass of wine and clinks it with Santiago's. "Cheers!" she says, and then takes a sip. She doesn't want to drink too much, lest it go to her head.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:34 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline joins the toast.

"To our hosts and to unlikely companions on the road!"

She empties the cup with gusto and lets out an appreciative sound.

"And my compliments to the cooks. The meal is excellent."

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:59 pm
by aine
Santiago watches Caroline swigging the wine back and so drinks his wine freely, and immediately tries to hide a grimace; it tastes appalling, quite different to what he is used to drinking. "Is this, er, made from rice?" He asks politely, trying not to catch Elizabeth's eye which would, he was sure, make him burst out laughing.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know, dear, but I suppose it's possible," says Elisabeth. "Dr. Renwick, you fetched the wine. What sort is it?"

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:22 pm
by aine
ooc,I will be away until probably Wednesday. Please can you npc for me when necessary.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:29 pm
by Tabs
"What could we do to return your kind gesture?"
So answers: "There is no need, but thank you. Just--um--if Dr. Renwick could address a Society meeting tomorrow night?"
"To our hosts goes much honour and I hope good fortune!"
The Chinese men return his bow.
"To our hosts and to unlikely companions on the road!"
"You're quite an unlikely lady too, aren't you?" says Posie seriously, trying to sound like a grown-up.
She empties the cup with gusto and lets out an appreciative sound.

Dao refills Caroline's cup.
"Is this, er, made from rice?"
"Yes, yes. More?" says Ouyang.

"Try the baijui," says Jian, "an intoxicating spirit."

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:06 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles as takes the cup from Dao.

"Xièxiè nǐ, Dao shūshu"
Mandarin,Thank you, Dao-uncle

She then raises an eyebrow at Posie's statement and laughs happily.

"Thank you very much for the compliment, Posie."

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hear, hear!" says Elisabeth, raising her glass. "Another way of saying 'unlikely' is 'extraordinary,' after all."

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:31 pm
by Cearlan

I look down and after a moment's reflection "Certainly I will give you a talk, it would be my pleasure. Do you have a topic in mind so that I may prepare, I would not wish to disappoint such distinguished hosts? And I promise not to try Mandarin So." I add with a smile on my face.

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:56 am
by Tabs
"Hear, hear!" says Elisabeth, raising her glass.
Posie smiles proudly; everyone else laughs.

"Thank you, Doctor," says So. "We would like to hear about your experiences as a medical man, especially the differences between China and England."
Cearlan,Don't worry, you won't have to prepare anything. :)
Santiago accepts a cup of baijui: a fiery spirit.

Feng places a disc upon the gramaphone.

OOC:   I know it's 25 years too late, but this is fab!  

Mingzhu stands, ready to Jitterbug, but halts, amused by Feng, who is capering hilariously.

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth sets down her glass and rises. She goes over to Santiago to dance with him. She is fairly well-coordinated, and she is certain she can make a good impression.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:30 pm
by aine
Santiago throws back the fiery drink with nary a thought and then twirls Elizabeth around in a swing dance style, "Unless you'd rather tango?" He whispers in her ear.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth smiles, feeling a little giddy and dizzy from the alcohol and being spun around. "I'm game if you are," she whispers back.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:41 pm
by Tabs
Watching Elisabeth and Santiago, Mingzhu grabs hold of Feng for a Tango. They follow the moves and do a fair imitation; Mingzhu only has a few squashed toes.

The time is 9 o'clock. Posie has fallen asleep whilst clutching a half eaten pancake.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline laughs and enjoys herself, looking at the dancers and talking to whomever of the others was brave enough for her company and drinking.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aww," says Elisabeth, looking at Posie. "She looks so cute like that. Well, I suppose we'd better put her to bed."

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 am
by Tabs
Dao leans across to Caroline, but his advances are abruptly squashed by So.

"Uncle Dao is too old to dance the Tango with Ms. Lamarr," says So, "and I do not care for it! Would you like to Waltz with me?" He casts a sidelong look at Feng and adds: "Feng is a buffoon; poor Chee Mingzhu."

Two bedrooms have been set aside: one for Santiago, Elisabeth and Posie; the other for Caroline and Mingzhu; Renwick is to room with the Society men.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:36 pm
by aine
Santiago spins Elizabeth to a dramatic stop. "You're right, she has another long day ahead of her." He florishes a bow to Elizabeth and winks before going to pick Posie up and carry her into the room. When he sees the beds, he murmurs, "Ahh, that's something we hadn't thought of." He puts Posie onto a bed and then leaves. He says to Elizabeth, "I'll let you two get to bed. I'll stay up with the men for a bit longer." And goes to sit next to Renwick.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Posie can simply share the larger bed with me," says Elisabeth, tucking the girl in and kissing her gently on the forehead, "and you can have the smaller one. I'm not ready to go to sleep myself yet, though. Caroline's still awake too, you know. Or do you consider her one of the men?" she adds with a wink, following Santiago back downstairs.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline laughs at So.

"I am honoured, So, but the road here was long. My feet are and my throat is parched. Sitting at this table seems a remedy for both!"

Caroline has another drink and looks at Feng and Mingzhu with an amused glance.

"Though I doubt my feet are as sore as hers."

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 pm
by Tabs
"Your loss will be Jian's gain," replies So. "Xiānshēng! Nǐ yuànyì tiàowǔ ma?" *
* Mandarin,"Sir! Would you care to dance?"
So and Jian glide around the room.

Mingzhu flops down in a chair beside Caroline. "Whew! That's me finished for the evening; and I believe Feng has chipped one of my toe nails." She tucks her knee up under her chin and examines her foot. "Are you really going to the Kumbum monastery by yourself?"

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:23 pm
by Cearlan

I sit and watch those on the dance floor appreciatively and curse under my breath that I never paid more attention to Miss Smetherwick's lessons at school, but then who wanted to dance with other boys anyway, the downside of a boys only boarding school. I am lost in the reverie of the situation and try and come up with positives about that time of my life ... yes it made me more of a scholar, which in turn allowed me to become a doctor, but it made me miss out on the more personal side of things. As Santiago sits next to me I nudge his arm gently to get his attention.

"I had no idea you could trip the light fantastic in such a manner. I have two left feet and could never move like that in a thousand years. Could I possibly have some more of that baijiu spirit please?" I ask, despite knowing it tastes more like pigs urine than anything palatable.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles as Mingzhu investigates her foot.

"Here, take this against the painful memory."

She filled up Mingzhu's cup and returned it to her.

I am headed for Kumbum, but I wasn't planning on staying for too long.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Dr. Renwick," says Elisabeth with a smile. "Santiago has always been an excellent dancer, far better than I. It's in his blood, I think."

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:06 am
by aine
"Dancing was as essential as reading when I was brought up; a necessary social grace in my family - no thank you, I'll pass on the liquor." Santiago shakes his head with a slight grimace. "So what are our plans for the morrow?"

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"First we'll have to collect the funds that were wired to us," says Elisabeth. "Then we'll need to buy supplies for the trip to Kumbum."

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:45 pm
by Tabs

Jian tugs at Dr. Renwick's sleeve: "You seemed to be lost in thought, Doctor?"

She gratefully accepts the cup from Caroline. "To see The Tree of Great Merit? I long to see it too." Mingzhu downs the wine in one. "You are formidable, Caroline, some might say,--not I!--that you are a little cold."
"Dancing was as essential as reading when I was brought up

"A dancer--yes!" Ouyang bows to Santiago.

"An early start, then?" So asks of Elisabeth, clearly eavesdropping; "where will you collect the money from?"

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:06 pm
by Cearlan

As Jian tugs my sleeve I turn to him "Lost in thought, yes indeed I was. I was just reflecting on my youth and how if things had maybe been different, then I could have been able to dance like my friend Santiago here, but then again that would probably have set me on a different path and maybe I would not have become a doctor, and as a result not found myself in this wonderful country of yours as a result. Forgive me, I am just a little envious of my friends ability on the floor, and I must confess, thinking about tomorrow's talk." I smile ruefully. "But then again, perhaps my life has some meaning after all, something I may not even be aware of yet. Do you believe in destiny or fate Jian?"

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, it's being sent to us via a friend at the University Hospital," says Elisabeth. She gives Henry a comforting look. "Don't sell yourself short, Dr. Renwick. I'm sure you could be a good dancer if you tried. I've seen how skilled you are with your hands; surely you are adroit with your feet as well."

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 am
by DrPeterson

"Cold!?", she shook her head as she reached for the bottle, "I'm not sure I understand what you mean, dearest."

She filled Mingzhu's and her own glass again.

"And yes, a little extra Merit on our journey might be helpful indeed!"

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:22 pm
by Tabs
Jian smiles his appreciation of Santiago's dancing skill.

"Be yourself, Dr. Renwick; the Society members will not be expect too much!"

"Fate, I think--life is a random sequence of events from limitless options. And you, what do you believe?"--Jian's eyes twinkle--"How would it have been different for you, to dance like Señor el Aguila?"

~

So listens to Elisabeth. He asks: "The Doctor is a surgeon?"

~

"Mr. Lamarr, Little Tommy McClure," answers Mingzhu, then, taking a long pull at the wine cup, "you were very off-hand about your lovers, like you didn't really care for them at all?--that is what I meant by cold. "

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:36 pm
by aine
"At least Henry, you didn't have to dance with every eligible noble lady under the age of eighteen." Santiago grins at the mens' expression. "It may sound idyllic but not when most of them are manipulative, conniving and ugly." He glances at Elizabeth with a slight smile. "The revolution may have put paid to those days but at least now I can dance with whom I wish."

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:26 pm
by DrPeterson

"Mr. Lamarr?", she laughs heartily, "Benny would be very amused being called thus. Oh no, Mingzhu, I loved him dearly, but life is a big adventure and we took different paths. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, there's no reason to keep dwelling on the past, is there?"

She has another drink and grins.

"Well, not on the recent past anyway. It would be a strange motto for an archaeologist otherwise."

She leans back, letting out a happy sigh.

"And Tommy McClure was never my lover, dear, he just held the camera."

A look of mischief is in her eyes and she winks insinuatingly at the Chinese woman, before letting out a merry laugh.

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"He can do the work of a surgeon when he must," says Elisabeth. She grins back at Santiago. "I so enjoy dancing with you too, dear. I'm glad you weren't compelled to marry one of those harpies before you met me."

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 am
by Tabs

" 'Just held the camera,' " she laughs--"I have no idea what you mean!"

"Yes, life is an adventure," responds Mingzhu; "I agree with you totally. And one should not dwell on the past. Oh Caroline, you seem to have experienced so much!" she gushes, her cheeks flushed. "If only life could last for ever. . . ."

~

"It does sound idyllic, Señor el Aguila," says So. " 'Harpies'? madam," he asks Elisabeth, "what is a harpy?"

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am
by Cearlan

"I don't know Jian." I reply. "it's just that when I look back at parts of my life, it seems that parts of it at least seem to have been already mapped out. For example the fact that I went to an all-boys school meant that I had no interest in learning to dance ... had little or no contact with young women. And as a result I had little choice but to throw myself into my studies. True enough it left me being qualified as a doctor, but lacking in ... shall we call them social graces on occasion. It's not that I really envy Santiago his dancing for example but ..." I look around exasperated as if looking for the right phrase to use, "... but I sometimes wish I had the courage to mix better, especially with women. I get so tongue tied when talking to them on occasion. To my mind this is what I meant by fate and destiny. My schooling, you could say 'shaped' my future life, and I had so little say in things back then."

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm
by aine

"Senor Renwick is a very good doctor indeed, Jian. He is also extremely brave; he is a good man to have by your side in a fight, believe it or not." Santiago takes Elizabeth's hand and squeezes it. "I shall turn in and make the most of sleeping in a proper bed." He gets up and bows to the chinese men, "Thankyou for your hospitality tonight." He leans over Henry and says in a low voice,
Henry,[color=#0000BF]"I'm still a little wary so I'll sleep until two and then keep watch. I'll catch up a couple more hours at dawn."[/color]
"good night all, duerme bien!" And he makes his way to the small bed in his room.

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 pm
by Cearlan

I nod to Santiago and wink before he goes upstairs. "I believe my friend thinks a great deal more of me that I do myself. I'll stay up with these fine gentlemen a little longer I think. Goodnight Santiago!" I raise my hand in farewell to the resolute Iberian.

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good night, darling!" calls Elisabeth, blowing Santiago a kiss. "I shall remain downstairs a bit longer." She turns to So. "A harpy is a creature from Greek mythology: part woman, part bird. They tend to be rather nasty, much like the so-called ladies my husband was referring to."

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 am
by DrPeterson

"Forever? That's an awful long time, don't you think? I find it's the hurriedness of it all that gives life extra flavour, living for the now, experiencing everything like tomorrow's your last day."

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm
by Cearlan

"I agree to a point Caroline about living for the moment as you Americans are wont to say. And I know you believe that Professor Black, and maybe even myself are - what was the phrase you used - 'fuddy-duddy's,' whatever that is supposed to mean. But is there not also a place for some prudence in the way we live? Take those less fortunate than ourselves ..." I smile to myself as I reflect on the happenings of the last few days "... Those who may not know where their next meal is coming from for example. They have to think of rationing their food to make it last. On expeditions, do we not do the same rather than simply eat and drink everything in the initial few days?"

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 am
by Tabs
Renwick said: . . . To my mind this is what I meant by fate and destiny . . .
Jian nods thoughtfully.

~
Santiago said: "I shall turn in . . .
The Society men return his bow.

~
Elisabeth said: "A harpy is a creature from Greek mythology . . .
"Ah! now I understand. Poor Señor el Aguila, to have women forced upon him," So says, very inscrutable, his listeners cannot tell if he is being humorous. He leafs through Miss Harriet and pulls out a loose printed sheet. "A bookmark and a creature from mythology," he says, handing it to Elisabeth.

~
Caroline said: "Forever? That's an awful long time, don't you think? I find it's the hurriedness of it all that gives life extra flavour, living for the now, experiencing everything like tomorrow's your last day."
" 'An awful long time,' "repeats Mingzhu wistfully. "But what if there was no hurry . . . it may detract from the experience, lessen one's zest for life, but think of the accumulation of knowledge and how powerful one would be?" She adds in a lighter tone: "By 'experiencing' you mean fun?--I need more of that!"
Renwick said: But is there not also a place for some prudence in the way we live?. . . On expeditions . . .
"Most of us should be prudent," says Mingzhu thoughtfully. "Talking of 'expeditions,' thankfully we have Caroline to help us prepare, we have a lot of shopping to do tomorrow, don't we, Elisabeth?"

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline looks at Renwick with big, serious eyes.

"My dear doctor, don't think me callous and unconcerned about the poor. My family is well known for its humanitarian work."

She smiles as she takes Mingzhu's hand.

"Don't worry about that, dear, we'll have a great time!"

With a roguish grin she adds, winking at the doctor.

"And I promise I"ll try not to drink all our supplies before we're there."

With that, she finishes her cup again.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:42 pm
by aine
ooc,Beautiful illustration.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 pm
by Cearlan

"No no Caroline, I did not mean to suggest that you were callous or uncaring. I was just suggesting that people should have half an eye on the future as we do not know what is going to happen next. Who for example would have foreseen the atrocities of Great War ever happening."

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it will be grand!" says Elisabeth, smiling encouragingly at Mingzhu. "I do so enjoy shopping." She looks at the bookmark. "Ah, what a splendid dragon! The caption looks to be in German, which I can't read. In China, dragons are noble creatures that represent good fortune, but in Western culture they are often thought of as evil beasts. In England, there is the story of St. George, who slew a dragon that was terrorising the land."

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:38 pm
by Tabs
"Thankfully China was not involved in the Great War," remarks So.
"Don't worry about that, dear, we'll have a great time!"
Mingzhu squeezes Caroline's hand. "I'm sure of it," she says quietly.
"I do so enjoy shopping."
"Me too!" enthuses Mingzhu.
the story of St. George, who slew a dragon
"You are English, are you not, madam?" says Jian; "luckily, for the Chinese, you are only a woman."
Santiago,He lies in bed, aware of the murmuring of conversation below. Across the room Santiago can make out the bundle of bedclothes where Posie is and hear her long drawn breathing, a tired child fast asleep.

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:30 pm
by aine
keeper,Santiago tries to sleep; he's pretty tired. He knocks his head twice on the pillow so he'll wake up at 2am. It usually works.

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I am English," Elisabeth tells Jian, "but don't worry, I won't be slaying any dragons. Even if I could, I know that Chinese dragons are good beings and wouldn't harm one. Although, you shouldn't underestimate women. England has had her share of formidable, powerful queens such as Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria."

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:38 am
by DrPeterson

Just as she was about to answer Renwick, Jian makes his comment.

"Only a woman?!"

Caroline puts on the sweetest, most innocent smile she can muster and asks in Mandarin.

"What exactly do you mean by that, Jian?"

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:17 pm
by Tabs
Jian stutters: "Nothing, nothing at all."

"I think it is time to go to bed," soothes So. He puts an arm round his brother's shoulder, together, So and Jian walk away.

Ouyang wakes the ancient Dao, they stand, Ouyang bows, and they follow the other two.

Feng is snoring beside the gramaphone.
Santiago,Test your Luck (65%) to wake at 2 a.m.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, good night," says Elisabeth as they leave. "I suppose the rest of us should call it a night, then." She suppresses a yawn.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:21 pm
by aine
roll,Luck: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4484662/]1d100=4[/url] It is an infallible method. :o

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:26 pm
by DrPeterson

"Yes, we do have a long day ahead of tomorrow. I'll just have another drink and then hit the hay as well."

She fills her cup and offers Mingzhu the bottle too.

"A nightcap?"

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:24 pm
by Tabs
"Good night," echoes Mingzhu at the disappearing Society men. She replies to Caroline: "Not tonight, I'm exhausted."

Their bedrooms are above the kitchen, whereas Renwick is bunking with the men whose quarters are on the ground floor with a window to the courtyard.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth returns to her bedroom, opening and closing the door quietly so as not to wake Posie. "I'll change into my nightclothes while you go to the bathroom," she says quietly to Santiago. "Did they set aside nightclothes for us? We certainly don't have our own." She looks around the room.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:27 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Santiago may be asleep, aine can decide.  
The time is 11 p.m., Santiago went up to his room an hour earlier. There are no nightclothes, and the "bathroom" is a large bowl covered by a cloth and jug of water under a table. Santiago is in the single bed, Posie is fast asleep in the double bed. In Caroline and Mingzhu's room there is a single bed and a makeshift bed, made out of wooden crates with mattress.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:14 pm
by aine
There is just the sound of gentle breathing; Santiago is asleep.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth takes off her shoes, gets into the double bed, puts an arm gently around Posie, and drifts off to sleep.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:34 am
by Tabs
Mingzhu gets into the makeshift bed. She murmurs, "I have an iron pillow," and immediately falls asleep.
aine,Santiago wakes. It is 2 a.m. and very quiet, except for deep sleep breathing from the other bed.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 pm
by aine
Tabs,Santiago wakes and lies there for a while listening. Then he gets up, picks up his boots and pads out of the room silently, closing the door behind him. He walks quietly around the block before finding a quiet, comfortable spot from where he can keep an eye on things. Although not quite the same, it reminds him of the long watches he used to take on the ranch, but without the starry skies.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:12 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiled as she heard Mingzhu fall asleep and then did the same.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 am
by Tabs
Santiago wakes and lies there for a while listening. Then he gets up, picks up his boots and pads out of the room silently, closing the door behind him.
Sitting on the bottom step--the stairs are in the dining room, opposite to them is the open door to the kitchen which has a door to the alley--Santiago pulls on one boot and picks up the other . . . [roll Listen (55%)]

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:29 pm
by aine
As he pulls on the second boot, Santiago's trained ears are alerted and he wonders if he could hear something odd.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:21 pm
by Tabs
A scuffling noise--something big is in the kitchen.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:00 pm
by aine
Thinking that a dog, or maybe a pig has wandered in from the alley, Santiago creeps to the kitchen door and peers in.
sneak if needed,(30) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4489573/]1d100=48[/url]

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 pm
by Tabs
There is a faint red glow from the coals in the grate. Santiago catches a flash (of metal?) from under the table.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 am
by aine
"A dog's collar perhaps?" Santiago wonders; he feels slightly disconcerted and looks anything to hand he could use in self defense should the animal prove to be hostile.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:56 am
by Tabs
"Hsst!"--from under the table--"Santgo-sir," someone whispers. He cannot see very much at all, however there is a sideboard next to the doorway with a wine bottle on top.
Caroline,She wakes, it is very cold. Moonlight shines round the edges of the roof tiles above her bed like a patchwork of silver.
Elisabeth,She dreams of tears, a little girl is crying. She opens her eyes.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Instinctively, Elisabeth checks on Posie.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline gets up in her bunk and looks around the room. She smiles appreciatively at the silver light as she pulls her blanket closer about her.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:04 pm
by aine

Santiago picks up the wine bottle and hefts it in his hand. He tries not to look at the coals so he doesn't ruin his night vision, and pads silently over to the table and crouches down to look underneath.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:28 pm
by Tabs
Dr. Renwick,Jimmy Smitts has hidden his school cap again. If "Bugs" Bulger, his tutor, finds out that Henry's uniform is sans cap it'll mean a caning for sure. . . . Dr. Henry Renwick wakes, in the moments between sleep and consciousness he wonders if Jimmy and Bugs really were at his preparatory school? The snores and deep breathing around him continue however; Renwick realises they belong to the Society men. It is dark, a beam of moonlight illuminates a rucksack and alpenstock.
Elisabeth,Posie is not there.
Caroline,She cannot make out much in the dark at all. Her room is silent.
Santiago crouches.

Feng, his face noticeably pale, stares out at Santiago. One hand beckons the Spaniard to join him beneath the table, the other is clutching the wicked looking knife--Santiago has an image of the gutted chicken.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:03 pm
by Cearlan

Despite the chill in the air I still have a sheen of perspiration on my brow at the thought of the repercussions of Jimmy Smitt's exploits. but that memory fades as I focus blearily upon the items in the moonlight. I put on my glasses to see them better and peer closely at them. I listen hard,but hear nothing over the snoring of the men beside me.(1d100=63)

I swing my feet over the side of the cot I recline on and stand up before making my way over to the rucksack and hiking stick to investigate further ... "I'm certain this wasn't here before!" I mutter to myself.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:43 pm
by DrPeterson

"So quiet...", thinks Caroline as she reaches for her rucksack, looking for a torch or some matches. She strains her ears, trying to hear Mingzhu's breathing.
Listen 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:14 pm
by aine
Santiago peers round but sees nothing untoward so he crouches further down and crawls under the table next to Feng. He gives him a questioning frown.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth gets out of bed and slips on her shoes. "Posie?" she calls. "Where are you?" She cocks an ear to try to pinpoint the source of the crying, but she isn't sure where it is.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:44 am
by Tabs
Dr. Renwick checks out the rucksack and alpenstock.

He leans back the rucksack and discerns a label, it is a small flag sewn onto the leather--an offset white cross upon a red background. Renwick could unbuckle the rucksack but would risk waking Jian who is in his cot nearby.

~

Caroline feels the tooling upon her cigarette case and then her searching fingers find her lighter. She snaps open its lid. Mingzhu's makeshift bed is empty. Caroline hears Elisabeth's voice: "Posie?"

~

Feng puts a finger to Santiago's lips and blows silently: "Shhhh"; the gust of alcohol flavoured breath leaves Santiago in no doubt that the man is intoxicated. The door to the alley rattles; a snort; scratching or pawing--his intuition about a pig was correct?

~

Elisabeth calls the little girl's name but there is no answer.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth takes one last look around the room to make sure Posie isn't there, including checking under the beds, and then ventures out into the hall.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:31 pm
by Cearlan

I get down on my haunches in front of the rucksack keeping my body between it and the sleeping forms in the dormitory, and proceed to attempt to open it gently.
OOC:   Does the name Muller, on the alpenstock mean anything to me?  

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:52 pm
by aine
Santiago nods once and then crawls out from under the table as he reckons it's not the best place to be to weather a pig attack. He goes to the fireplace to see if he can find a poker or suchlike and then he creeps to the side of the door, ready to ambush the creature should it find a way in. He listens very carefully to determine what sort of animal it might be.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:23 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth ventures out onto the landing. Opposite is Caroline and Mingzhu's bedroom door, to her left is another door, to her right yawns the dark stairwell.

~

"Müller" has no connotation to Renwick. The rucksack: the first item he finds is a crumpled shirt, the unwashed odour from it tells him that further delving may be unpleasant; he changes tack and unbuckles the pouch on the front and draws a letter, pencil and penknife.

"What are you doing, Dr. Renwick?" asks Jian from his cot.

~

Santiago searches the fireplace until he picks up heavy tongs complete with dragon's feet; as he is searching a faint, sweet singing is audible:

"Love and pity are pleading with me this hour.
What is this voice that stays me forbidding to yield,
Offering beauty, love, and immortal power,
Aeons away in some far-off heavenly field?"

The beast in the alley has gone, he just knows it for certain.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:56 pm
by Cearlan

I jump at the sound of Jian's voice. "This rucksack and stick was not here before ... I was wondering whose it was and why it was left in such a dangerous position where somewhere could trip over it."

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth tries to think like a child. She probably went exploring, she thinks. I don't think she'd go into the other bedrooms; it's more likely she headed downstairs. Elisabeth carefully makes her way down the stairway.

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:56 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline gets up and goes to have a look outside the door. She is clad is little more than her night shirt.

"What's wrong, Elisabeth?", she says to the young woman going down the stairs.

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, hi, Caroline," says Elisabeth, pausing on the stairs and looking back. "I'm searching for Posie. I was asleep and was dreaming that I heard a child crying, but maybe it was real and intruded on my dream. Then I woke up, and Posie was gone!"

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 am
by aine
Santiago quietly unlatches the door and looks out into the dark courtyard. "I think it has gone, Feng." He whispers. He tries to determine where the singing is coming from.

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:14 am
by DrPeterson

"Mingzhu isn't in her bed either. Maybe Posie was looking for the bathroom and Mingzhu heard her and went with her."

She is enjoying the feel of the building under her bare feet as she gracefully approaches Elisabeth.

"Are you going downstairs? Shall I accompany you, dear?"

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:27 pm
by Tabs
"Oh," says Jian. As he plumps his pillow and turns away he mutters: ". . . it was under my bed . . . go to sleep, Doctor."

~

Santiago hears a "glug, glug" from under the kitchen table.
OOC:   Re. the singing, roll Idea (60%)  

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you, Caroline," says Elisabeth, grateful for the help. She carefully leads the way downstairs.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 pm
by aine
idea,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4499524/]1d100=77[/url]
ooc,I'm having problems logging on - or it takes forever. So if I don't post; that's why.
Santiago steps into the yard for a look round. He looks up to see if the stars are out and he sniffs the air.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm
by Tabs
Santiago looks up into the cloudless night sky. The moon has never appeared so clear, it reminds him of the moon in Patagonia; he spots Libra and Jupiter blazing brightly.

~

A chill breeze is flowing around the foot of the stairs. Looking across the dining room and though the kitchen beyond Elisabeth sees the silhouette of Santiago, standing in the alley, as he gazes up into the heavens. Caroline is beginning to regret her lack of clothing.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:20 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC: I'm having the problems too, it's like the site is taking ages to load and sometimes I get the message that there are too many people logged on. Maybe someone with fast surfing should pass he message on to our techsavvy overlords?

A shiver ran down Caroline's spine as she stepped off the stairs and here bare feet made contact with the cold floor, but she'd be damned if she'd show any trace of it.

"Looks like the whole town's out for a midnight walk."

Her lips curled into a feline smile as she beheld the silhouette in the door.

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Santiago, dear," says Elisabeth, "have you seen Posie? I woke up and she wasn't there."

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 am
by aine

Santiago turns round and walks back into the kitchen, ushering the two ladies before him. He closes the door. "It's a cold night; go and stand by the stove. You can come out now, Feng." He nods in the direction of the kitchen table and mimes drinking from a bottle to Elizabeth and Caroline. "Feng's been seeing things I think but I'll ask Mingzhu for a translation tomorrow just to check." He looks puzzled. "No I haven't seen Posie. She must have left her bed before 2 am which is when I planned to keep watch from. She can't have gone far; have you checked the water closet?" He notices Caroline's bare feet. "I'll go; I've got boots on. Get Feng to sort out some candles for you and look around the building. I'll be back here in a bit."
ooc,I assume the toilet 'hole' will be somewhere in a shack outside the main building, up some steps so to get the drop height. Santiago will just follow his nose...

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:11 pm
by Tabs
Feng crawls out from under the table, swaying dangerously as he does so; he doesn't even attempt to stand up--it is clear that Feng is absolutely smashed on wine and spirit.

The water closet is back through the dining room and another room that has the Swastika Society pamphlets, etc., through the courtyard with its well (to one side of the courtyard is the dormitory with Renwick and the men), and is housed in a bamboo hut--and it is simply a plank with a hole over a runnel.
OOC:   Both Elisabeth and Caroline roll Idea.  

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:44 pm
by DrPeterson
Idea,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, we haven't checked the WC yet," says Elisabeth, deep in thought. "Caroline told me Mingzhu is gone too, so maybe they're together."

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:34 am
by aine
Santiago nods, eyes Feng grimly and then sets off towards the WC with his tongs. He keeps an eye out for a candle/lantern in case it's too dark to see out there.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
by Tabs
Santiago heads off, the sound of his footsteps quickly fade.
Santiago,He is quite right, by following his nose he easily finds the W.C. Inside the bamboo hut his ears pick out no other sound than rats scurrying down the runnel. Inside the door of the hut is a candle, matches and strips of newspaper. [ooc]Post under a Spoiler.[/ooc]
Elisabeth & Caroline,It occurs to you both to check upstairs (the third door) before conducting a thorough search--and risk waking everyone. Also what about the paralytic Feng? [ooc]Post under a Spoiler (but still read each other's post).[/ooc]

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Elisabeth and Caroline,[color=violet]"There was another door upstairs besides our bedrooms,"[/color] says [b]Elisabeth[/b]. [color=violet]"I thought it was another bedroom and didn't want to disturb whoever was sleeping, and I thought [b]Posie[/b] might be exploring and would have been more likely to go downstairs, but we should check it out."[/color] She examines [b]Feng[/b] to see if she can help him.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:19 pm
by DrPeterson
Elisabeth&Caroline,"[color=#0000BF]Yes, let's check that out.[/color]" [b]Caroline [/b]is glad to get off the floor and onto the stairs, but she stops when she sees [b]Elisabeth [/b]go to the Chinaman. "[color=#0000BF]Maybe it's best to let him sleep it off, dear, they're not really known for their drinking stamina.[/color]"

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Elisabeth and Caroline,[color=violet]"Nor am I,"[/color] says [b]Elisabeth[/b], following [b]Caroline[/b]. [color=violet]"What little I had tonight was enough to make me giddy."[/color]

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:59 am
by Tabs
Elisabeth & Caroline,Back upstairs they face the unopened third door.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:42 pm
by aine
Santiago,Santiago risks a quick look down the hole, grimacing as he does so, but everything else seems as it should be. He steps back outside and [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4503735/]listens carefully[/url]. Then, checking the darkness either side, he starts heading back towards the kitchen.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:34 pm
by DrPeterson

E&C,She smiles and puts her hand on the doorknob, quietly opening the door and looking inside.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Elisabeth and Caroline,[b]Elisabeth[/b] peeks into the room around [b]Caroline[/b], unable to see much from behind the taller woman. [color=violet]"[b]Posie[/b]?"[/color] she asks softly.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:46 am
by Tabs
It is a box room, brightly lit by moonlight because its shutters are wide open. In front of the window, and beside an unlit fireplace, sits Mingzhu upon a rocking chair with Posie upon her lap, they are wrapped in a quilt.

Santiago peers down the hole, it strikes him that he must cut a comical figure, luckily it is dark and no one is about. Returning from the water closet and approaching the kitchen he hears Feng's snoring, Santiago finds him back under the table and that he has found himself a coat as makeshift blanket. Elisabeth and Caroline are back upstairs, "Posie?" he hears Elisabeth ask softly.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:41 pm
by aine
Santiago decides to leave the sorry monk asleep and question him in the morning with the help of Mingzhu. He pads quietly upstairs and comes up behind Elizabeth and Caroline to see what they have discovered.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:54 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline smiles at the sight and puts a hand on Elisabeth's shoulder.

"Maybe we should put them to bed, or they'll be wrecked in the morning."

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth nods. "And myself likewise," she tells Caroline. "Is everything okay?" she asks Mingzhu. "I thought I heard crying before."

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:41 pm
by aine
"And I thought I heard singing." Adds Santiago who is relieved all is well.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:45 pm
by Tabs
"That was Posie," yawns Mingzhu. "I couldn't sleep,--too many sad thoughts--and Posie was tearful. I hoped that no-one else would be disturbed if we sat in here"--she smiles up at Elisabeth, Caroline and Santiago--"but it appears not!

" 'Singing,' Señor?--a lullaby for Posie maybe."

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:22 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline strides into the room, and puts a hand on Mingzhu's shoulder.

"Come, we should get you to bed, dear."

Looking up at Santiago and Elisabeth, she smiles a feline smile.

"I'll take care of Mingzhu, I'm sure Posie will sleep better with her mother."

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth nods again. "It's all right," she says to Mingzhu. "I'm just relieved you're both okay. It was startling to awaken and find Posie gone. Come on, Posie, let's go back to bed. And if you ever need to talk to me, whether tonight, in the morning, or any other time, I'm there for you."

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:12 am
by Tabs
Mingzhu is led away by Caroline.

Posie nods to Elisabeth, holding her arms up to be carried back to bed. "I know I can talk to you," she mumbles sleepily.

~

Everyone is at the dining table for breakfast. A pot of congee--a porridge-like gruel--sits steaming upon the table. Feng looks hungover and is very still as if the slightest movement is a torture for him.

So surveys the gathering: "What do you all plan to do today?"

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:54 pm
by aine

Santiago picks at his congee with some distaste; he has a typical Spanish disregard for breakfast. "Before we embark on today, Mingzhu would you mind asking Feng what animal was at the kitchen door last night that terrifed him so? I know he was pretty drunk but even so, he seemed in a terrible state poor man."

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, is he all right?" asks Elisabeth, concerned. She tastes the congee, which she likes better than porridge in some ways, perhaps because it is different. I wonder if Posie was crying last night because she misses her real parents? she thinks. I had just been remarking to myself how resilient she's been through all this, but I suppose we all have our limits.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:50 pm
by DrPeterson

"We need to get the paperwork started.", Caroline says as she pushes away her empty bowl.
Mandarin,"[color=#0000BF]We would very appreciate the assistance of a local interpreter.[/color]"

"And we need to find some supplies for you guys too."

She doesn't seem to concerned about Feng's situation.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"And clothes!" says Elisabeth. "I'm sure you already have an adequate wardrobe, Caroline, but the rest of us have only what we're wearing."

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:38 am
by Tabs

"Of course, Señor," replies Mingzhu over a bowl of congee. "Feng seems pretty hungover right now, but I shall have a chat with him. An animal at the door you say? and what was the Señor doing last night, if you don't mind me asking?" She takes up a slab of unrefined sugar, chips at it, and then mashes at the crystals until they are separated.

"Yes, our Feng is fine, Mrs. el Aguila," answers Jian, "please ignore him: he is an embarrassment to the Swastika Society," he says rather scornfully. The others: So, Ouyang and Dao, stare into their bowls.

"I have some connections at the Governor's yamen," says So, "would you like me to come with you? To reach Kumbum monastery you will need passports for Shensi and Kansu provinces."

Mingzhu is spooning lumps of sugar into Posie's bowl when Elisabeth mentions shopping for clothes, she gets excited: "Oh, yes!"

"I require a dolly, Mrs. Tompkyns can be her name," says Posie seriously as if she is reminding everyone of important camp equipment.

"I may stay here," says Dr. Renwick; "prepare for my speech tonight; learn about the work of the Society."

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:41 pm
by Cearlan

"And by staying here, I can hopefully compare how the society compares to the state of the healthcare back home." A frown creases my brow as I think that thaat may have been the first time I have thought of 'home' as actually being my home in a long long time.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:32 pm
by aine
'Thank you, Mingzhu, that would be very helpful if you can find out what Feng saw; he may need a little coaxing and feminine charm I reckon. I was awake anyway and went down to the kitchen when I found him in such a state. I heard the animal myself.' Santiago looks around at the Swastika company to see their reactions. 'Henry, we'll leave you to your studies here then. They rest of us will go with So to collect funds, sort the paperwork and buy supplies, clothing and a dolly. Is that satisfactory for you Ms Lamarr or do you have other plans?'
reaction,Santiago looks for any odd reaction to animal story[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4512388/]1d100=82[/url]

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth smiles, looking forward to the shopping expedition.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:42 pm
by DrPeterson

"Quite satisfactory."

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:39 pm
by Tabs
" 'Feminine charm,' " echoes Mingzhu, "you ask a lot of me, Señor," she says with a wry smile, bordering on distaste, as she looks at the dishevelled Feng, "but I shall do as you ask."
Santiago,He doesn't notice any reaction to the animal story.
~

Breakfast is over. Elisabeth, Posie and Santiago, Caroline, Mingzhu and So are all ready to head off into Chengchow city.
OOC:   Are they going together? and where first?  
Ouyang and Dao help Feng from his seat at the table and take him to the dormitory.

"Do you wish to be left to your own devices?" asks Jian of Dr. Renwick.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go to the University Hospital first," says Elisabeth, "to collect the funds that have been wired to us. We can't go shopping or pay for the arrangements until we have money."

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:16 pm
by DrPeterson

"I concur, darling. After that we should face the bureaucracy, we'll need plenty of time for that too."

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:37 pm
by aine
'Most of the day if we're unfortunate. Best not let them know we have funds either or the bribes will increase. Are we going in the charabanc?' Santiago leads the ladies outside.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:43 pm
by Tabs
"No," says So, "the University Hospital is only ten minutes walk."

~

The modern building is surrounded by gardens; the Nanking Government have invested heavily in infrastructure. A plaque thanks the Kuomintang and Chiang Kai-shek. Outside the administration wing So strikes up conversation with a doctor, leaving the others to enter a spacious reception. A secretary taps away at a sparkling Remington.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, now there's a familiar sight," says Elisabeth, smiling at the secretary and the typewriter. "I have one like that back at the embassy, where I'm a secretary too. My name is Elisabeth."

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:47 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline stands back a bit, not really interested in what's going on at the desk.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:26 pm
by aine
Santiago browses a notice board. He understands nothing on it but he is content to let Elizabeth do the talking.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:31 pm
by Tabs

"Welcome to Chengchow University Hospital, Elisabeth," says the secretary, "how may I help you?"

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth. "We're here to see Mr. Norrin."

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:42 pm
by Tabs
"One moment, please," says the secretary. She enters an office behind reception and quickly returns with a curious-looking gentleman.

"Ah, Miss Grey?"

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's me," says Elisabeth, "though that's my maiden name. It's Mrs. el Aguila now. And you must be Mr. Norrin."

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:27 am
by Tabs
"Yes, yes," says Mr. Norrin thoughtfully. "Ivan--Prof. Pavlov--has requested I give you this,"--he produces $200--"and this"--a telegram.

"Dearest am back Peking investigation afoot everyone safe love Daddy stop"

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth, smiling broadly when she reads the telegram, which means more to her than the money does. She puts the money away in her purse, but she holds the telegram close to her heart for a moment. "I'd like to send a reply. Do you know where I can do that?"

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 am
by Tabs
"Miss Choi here"--Mr. Norrin indicates the secretary--"will take any message for you to the telegraph office. I'm a busy man this morning, Mrs. El Aguila, but you are all welcome to dinner at my house? I know that Mrs. Norrin would be delighted to meet you . . ." he says, beaming at Posie.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is my daughter, Posie," says Elisabeth. "Posie, this is Mr. Norrin. I'd be pleased to join your family for dinner. I'll just have to check with my husband."

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:31 pm
by aine
Santiago bows and then shakes Mr. Norrin's hand. "A pleasure to meet you, Senor. Dinner would be delightful thank you. We have another friend who isn't here so I hope that won't be too many of us."

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:04 am
by Tabs
"We have a long table and a capacious larder," replies the portly Mr. Norrin. "Here is our address"--he hands Santiago his card--"send a message to let Mrs. Norrin know how many dinner guests to expect."

The card: "Mr. & Mrs. Albert Norrin, 'Whispering Trees,' 10 Rue Marmaduke, Chengchow"

"The telegram?" asks Miss Choi of Elisabeth.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says Elisabeth. Her father had sent her the telegram in the clear, so he apparently felt no need to encrypt it, and thus she feels comfortable in doing the same - though she won't discuss her whereabouts or destination, just in case. "My reply is: Dear Father all arrived safe love Elisabeth stop."

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm
by aine

Santiago looks at the card before putting it in his breast pocket. "Thank you senor. What time shall we arrive?"
ooc,Wedding party this weekend so won't be posting until early next week. Please npc me.

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:16 pm
by Tabs
"7 o'clock," answers Mr. Norrin.

Miss Choi takes her coat and exits with the others so that they are all together outside; So, who had been waiting, joins them as well.

"Are we to get your passports next?" asks So.

Miss Choi begins to walk away, presumably to the telegraph office.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's a good idea," says Elisabeth. While she'd prefer to go shopping for clothes, she knows it's important to get the ball rolling on the important business first, as the passports may take some time to acquire.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 am
by Tabs
The Governor's Residence is almost palatial.

So leads the way into a reception foyer and converses with an attendant. He returns to the group and says: "I have called an adminstrator friend. He will be here shortly. For now we will have to wait." There are many chairs with various persons upon them, varying from merchants to high status people, all waiting on the Governor's favour.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, how splendid!" remarks Elisabeth as she looks around admiring the place. "They certainly know how to make an impression."

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 am
by Tabs

Mingzhu admires the residence as well: "It certainly is gorgeous, but the contrast between the haves and have nots makes me sad; surely in your home country--the greatest power on the planet--there are no poor persons?"

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, we still have poor people in England," says Elisabeth, "though they're much better off than poor people in China. It's a good thing that organisations such as the Swastika Society exist to help them."

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:15 pm
by aine
Santiago subtly checks everyone out to see if there is anyone taking undue notice of the party - or himself in particular. He especially regards any other foreigners.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:59 pm
by Tabs
"though they're much better off than poor people in China.
"I am glad," replies Mingzhu seriously.

There are many persons, all Chinese--
Santiago,Someone does catch your eye, maybe because she is looking at you, but also because she is the only one in Western dress, she also has a box camera. [img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/journalist_zpsfe4f48e7.jpg[/img]
A man approaches So, who relays in English: "His excellency Zuo Zongtang has granted you an audience. Mr. and Mrs. el Aguila and their child are to go in first; Mingzhu and Miss Lamarr are to wait here." The administrator friend of So beckons to them to follow him.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth takes Posie by the hand and follows the man.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:18 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth and Posie find themselves in a hall, the administrator who led them in exits and softly closes the double doors; she realises that Santiago is not with them.

"Daddy has been left behind?" says Posie with a twinkle in her eyes, aware that she is playing up for whomever may be listening.

A young lady tiptoes towards them on bound feet. "Zuo Zongtang," she says beckoning and then indicating a Mandarin sat on a carved seat which is upon a dais.

OOC:   If Elisabeth wishes to talk in Chinese she must succeed at a roll (31%).  

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth bows deeply and tries to greet the Governor in Mandarin, but he doesn't seem to understand. Perhaps the dialect she learned is somewhat different from what is spoken in this part of China. She tries again in English. "Greetings, Your Excellency," she says. "I am Elisabeth el Aguila, and this is my daughter Posie."

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 am
by Tabs
Elisabeth can discern that Zongtang has an affected voice, but in what manner she is unsure. The Mandarin speaks several sentences in Chinese.

The young lady says at Elisabeth's shoulder: "Zuo Zongtang welcomes you, Elisabeth el Aguila, and your daughter also. He is aware of the foreigners in the Hall of Attendance and wonders why you all are here?--he is honoured by your presence."

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:25 pm
by aine
ooc,Sorry, my last post didn't post.
Santiago saunters through the crowd, and thus doesn't see Elizabeth and Posie walk away. He comes near the lady in western dress.
"Excuse me, senora. Are you a journalist?" He asks, eyeing her camera.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Your Excellency," says Elisabeth. "My family and our friends wish to visit the monastery of Kumbum, and we seek permission to travel there."

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:58 pm
by Tabs
"Excuse me, senora. Are you a journalist?" He asks, eyeing her camera.

"Yes, however did you guess?" she smiles good naturedly speaking with a heavy, but clearly understandable, accent. "I am Lin"--she holds out a hand--"and you are?"

~

Zuo Zongtang examines the pretty English woman; his eyes pause at her, to him, big nose and then his eyes glide over her down to her large, unbound, feet. Zuo snorts in derision and begins to mutter something---

"How rude!" exclaims Posie loudly.

Zuo examines the girl with surprise as if he has only just noticed her. "Forgive me my discourtesy, Mrs. Elisabeth el Aguila," he says; "permission to travel, a passport? of course."

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"All is forgiven," says Elisabeth. It's a good deal Caroline isn't here, she thinks. She'd have given him what for! "Yes, we would all like passports, please."

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:41 pm
by Tabs
The Mandarin speaks in Chinese to the young lady.

She leads Elisabeth and Posie back to the Hall of Attendance. "Zuo said that you will return in two days to collect the passport for you and your friends. My name is Golden Lily, ask for me when you do so," she says.

Mingzhu approaches and playfully reaches behind Posie and taps on her opposite shoulder, the little girl turns and sees no one.

"We don't need to go in then?" asks Mingzhu of Golden Lily.

Golden Lily smiles with a little shake of her head, and tiptoes away.

"Somebody touched my shoulder," says a perplexed Posie.

"You're imagining things," laughs Mingzhu.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:02 pm
by aine

"Santiago."
He says simply. "Are you here for photos or to stand in a long queue for paperwork?" Santiago smiles and rolls his eyes.
ooc,I'm probably going to be out of reception for a lot of the time until 3rd July, so please npc me if you need to move on.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth suppresses a giggle, then looks around for Santiago.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 am
by Tabs

"I believe your wife is looking for you," says Lin evasively.

~

Santiago joins his friends.

"Everything okay?" he asks Elisabeth.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, dear, I've made the arrangements," says Elisabeth. "We're to return in two days' time and ask for Golden Lily to collect our passports. I was wondering where you had disappeared to. Didn't you hear them call us in?"

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:16 pm
by aine
"Err? No, I didn't. I was looking around the room for suspicious people. So we can get out of here and go collect the money and get some supplies?" Santiago looks down at Posie and winks, "And some new clothes and a dolly."

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's," says Elisabeth, taking Santiago's and Posie's hands. "There's nothing more for us to do here until the day after tomorrow. We'll just have to make sure we save enough money to pay the necessary fees."

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 pm
by aine
Santiago looks into Elizabeth's eyes and then smiles. "We'd better find Ms Lamarr and Mingzhu. And what happened to So?" He looks around as they walk towards the exit, hoping to see the others.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:38 pm
by Tabs
Mingzhu rejoins Elisabeth, Santiago and Posie. "So said he had some errand to run in town, he had to go; and Caroline has gone to the lavatory, complaining of tummy ache, I think her exact words were, 'The bleep bleep chicken.' "

"Bleep chicken?" asks a confused Posie.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"That must be a Chinese word," Elisabeth says, covering quickly. "I think it means that the chicken was really bad. Well, once she returns, we can be on our way."

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:28 pm
by Tabs
"Well done, Elisabeth!" praises Mingzhu.

Caroline returns from the lavatory, looking pale and interesting. "I'll have to call a rickshaw,"she says, "and return to the Society compound."

"What does 'beep' mean?" asks Posie, unconvinced by the adults explanation.

Caroline attempts a laugh, but places a hand on Posie's shoulder instead and smiles.

Santiago leaves the Hall of Waiting in order to catch a rickshaw for Caroline.

Mingzhu says: "I still want to go shopping, Elisabeth. Shall we?"

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course," says Elisabeth. "I've been looking forward to it all day. Feel better, Caroline. Is there anything you want us to buy for you?"

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm
by aine
Santiago steps into the hubbub outside and flags down a rickshaw which swerves out of the flowing bedlam of traffic and comes to a stop, narrowly missing his toes. He nods to the grinning Chinese man and speculates on whether he'll be strong enough to pull all four of them. He then hails another one for Caroline.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:19 pm
by Tabs

Caroline says: "Just a bottle of spicy sauce to liven up the interminable rice and tsampa dishes."

~

Outside the Governer's Residence Caroline, in a rickshaw, is whisked away, back to the Society compound; Elisabeth with Santiago, and Posie with Mingzhu head for Chengchow town in another two rickshaws, the drivers panting away as they pull them along.

They all alight outside what appears to be a department store, most shops in Chengchow are small and only sell one type of good.

"Anything we buy can be held or sent somewhere for us," informs Mingzhu. "This one"--she thumbs the department store behind them--"is one of the 'Fung Group.' We can buy our clothes here," she adds excitedly.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:10 pm
by aine
"Er, just a minute, ladies. We need to be sensible about this; we are buying expedition clothing NOT fancy dresses. So warm, practical and hard wearing; including a proper coat, walking boots, a hat, scarves, gloves and that kind of thing. Maybe one dress each to wear to dinner tonight." Santiago says as he helps them out of the rickshaws and pays the men.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, dear," says Elisabeth with a smile. "Hopefully you'll like how I look in trousers. I think it's possible to be practical and stylish at the same time. And I'll be sure to make that one dress count."

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:32 am
by Tabs
"Only one?" says a disappointed Mingzhu, "Señor el Aguila, you are most unkind!" she jests.

Inside the Fung department store it is clear that it is a show case one, and the items for sale are way beyond the means of ordinary Chinese. However, the "top end" items are just right for Elisabeth and Mingzhu.

Day ware:

And evening dresses:

Santiago does find a small area selling silk and cotton shirts, and trousers, although he has trouble finding a size that fits him. Also there are quality padded jackets, similar, but more lavish, to those worn by farmers in wintertime.

"But what do I wear," asks Posie crossly.
OOC:   Let's presume you all find everything for the expedition. If you have any unusual clothing wants, say what they are, and we'll see. . . .  

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"They must have something in your size, too," says Elisabeth as she looks around. She picks out a silver sleeveless flowing evening dress with a plunging back for herself, and she also looks for a bathing suit in case there are opportunities to swim on the expedition.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:20 pm
by Tabs
"Oh, I do hope so," says Posie.

"Over here!" calls Mingzhu; "a cotten dress that will fit Posie a treat!"

Posie examines the flower pattern upon the dress, and then looks up to Elisabeth and nods.

Elisabeth finds a poker dot bathing suit, more suited to Boscombe beach, Bournemouth than a mountain pool, but she takes it anyway.

Mingzhu admires the evening dress that Elisabeth chooses, before picking out a deep pink, satin one for herself.

"We have our clothes--including hats and the like," he says. "I'm off for a wander and browse in the streets. Meet up outside here in two hours?" With that Santiago wanders off.

Mingzhu holds a pair of orange, flowing pants from her waist, she says: "This pretend marriage, do you think it's a good idea, Elisabeth?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, my father certainly did," says Elisabeth, "and I'm quite enjoying it. Why, do you think we shouldn't be doing it? Am I enjoying it too much?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:55 pm
by Tabs
"And why not!" says Mingzhu. "It's just that I didn't want to see you hurt, that's all. If you are falling for the Señor, be cautious because I'm unsure he feels the same way."

Posie rushes up to them brandishing a dolly. "Aunty M, look what I found!"

Mingzhu brushes the hair off the little girl's forehead and tucks it behind her ears. "Yes, you're enjoying it much too much" she continues, laughing, "but do what you want, Elisabeth, whatever makes you feel good!"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:26 pm
by aine
Before going, Santiago has conferred with a tailor to alter his clothing to fit his tall, lean frame and leaves the tailor scratching his head over trouser lengths. He then wanders the local shops looking for somewhere that sells a good hunting rifle, knife, compass, tarp, flint, water bottles and fishing lines.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, what a lovely dolly, Posie!" says Elisabeth. "She's almost as pretty as you. She'll make a fine Mrs. Tompkyns."

Am I falling in love with Santiago? she thinks. I've never been in love before, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to feel like, but I do feel very confused about my feelings, which may be an indication. And how does he feel about me? I don't know what will happen, and maybe I'm getting my hopes up. But Posie needs a mother and a father. If I'm to be her mother, I shall have to marry for real, and I can't think of a better choice - or any other choice, really. What other man will want to marry me knowing I've already got a daughter? But I don't even know if he'll want to, or if he'll ask me to. And then we'll have to convince my parents - and his. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:22 pm
by Tabs
Santiago,Don't forget you've already got various rifles.
He wanders the busy streets but only finds foodstuffs and Japanese manufactured goods, frying pans and suchlike. No flint, etc., though plenty of matches, and a shop that sells knives. Perhaps he can ask Mr. Norrin if he has any kit? . . .

~

Posie hugs Mrs. Tompkins, smiling happily.

Mingzhu watches Elisabeth as she ponders her future as a mother. "I'm sure everything will turn out for the best," says Mingzhu reassuringly.

They choose a bolt of yellow silk as a gift for Mrs. Norrin before leaving the "Fung" department store.

After browsing for a while they find a toy shop and enter after Posie insists that they do so. Mingzhu picks up several toy necklaces.

"We can wear these and then give them as gifts," she says. "In Tibet and beyond the population have very little, these coloured beads will be suitable for women."

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent thinking," says Elisabeth, taking out money to buy the necklaces. "What gifts do we give to the men?"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:23 pm
by aine

Santiago gives up looking for kit in the end, they'll just have to wing it. He buys matches wrapped in oilskin and a sturdy hunter's knife. He does find a compass in a tiny rosewood box in an old junk shop selling bric-a-brac. The shop seller wraps it up for him and he pockets it thoughtfully. Then he heads back to the department store, collects his altered clothing, suit and coat and wanders around looking for the women as the two hours are up.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 pm
by Tabs
Posie directs Elisabeth to several tin spyglasses, the optics are poor but as she looks through it, around the shop, Mingzhu's face does appear to be perceptibly closer.

~

They meet-up and look for somewhere to rest. It is a warm spring morning, outside a café is a white table with umbrella, atop the table is a simple menu.

"Did you find anything useful, Señor?" asks Mingzhu.

A waiter approaches them, he tries speaking in execrable English. "Sir, ladies, what would you like?"

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth buys some of the spyglasses as well.

At the café, she peruses the menu. Caroline's experience has put me off chicken, she thinks, though I'm sure what they have here is better than at the Swastika Society. Still... "I'd like the Lo Mein, please," she tells the waiter.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:20 am
by aine
Santiago sits with his back to the wall so he can watch the passers-by. He also wears his new hat, a fedora, pulled down slightly too much over his face. He senses Posie giving him a hard stare and he winks. "Do you like my new hat, Posie? And did you find a dolly?" He says to the waiter, hoping Mingzhu will translate, "Rice and vegetables please. I agree it's best to play safe after the chicken; you never know where danger lurks in this country." He finishes obscurely.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 pm
by Tabs
"I'll have the same," says Mingzhu, "and noodles for the little girl as well."

"Yes, I found her," answers Posie, "Mrs. Tompkyns was where I knew she'd be hiding," and imperiously she adds, "I'm so glad we've been reunited.

"And no, I don't like your new hat!"

Mingzhu pours out tea. "Another day in Chengchow and I feel that we should move on, like Señor el Aguila said 'you never know where danger lurks.' "

Elisabeth gazes across the street, she notes a Turkish bath house and a library, Bibliothèque internationale de la Chine.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

It's like he can read my mind, thinks Elisabeth. I do like the hat, it's just the way he's wearing it that makes it look odd. She resists the urge to reach out and straighten it. "It is good to see you again, dear," she says. "Yes, we should get moving once we get the passports. Oh, look, a Turkish bath house! And there's the library. That must where the French book came from."

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:56 pm
by Tabs
"I'd like a good bathe. It may be the last chance we get for a while," says Mingzhu, "I'm going!"

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, yes, let's!" says Elisabeth, full of excitement. "I can wear the bathing suit I just bought, too!"

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:13 am
by Tabs
Santiago is content to stay put. Twenty minutes later Elisabeth, Posie and Mingzhu find themselves inside a blue tiled warm room, the hot air making the three perspire. Posie and Mingzhu are covered by a cotton wrap, whereas Elisabeth wears her poker dot bathing suit.

"It's a bit hot," says a red-faced Posie.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's meant to be," says Elisabeth. "Turkish baths are very steamy. It's supposed to be good for you."

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:08 pm
by Tabs
An old man with a boy in tow shuffles into the warm room. The boy spots Elisabeth's bathing suit and then realises that she is different, not at all like "ordinary" people. He catches the attention of his grandfather who goggles impolitely at her.

"The hot room is going to be too much for Posie," says Mingzhu, wiping away damp hair from her cheek. "The plunge pool next?"

"A pool, oh yes!" says Posie.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's!" says Elisabeth. "Let them laugh. I feel comfortable in this." I'd feel funny about going in the pool without my bathing suit, she thinks.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:37 am
by Tabs
"Your bathing suit certainly drew the boy's attention, but I think the old man is staring because you, Elisabeth, are an unusual type of person, to him anyhow," says Mingzhu. "I bet the further we travel west you will be like a curiosity to most people; and me as well, for that matter."

"And me too?" asks Posie.

"Especially you!" says Mingzhu.

The plunge pool is only about twenty feet by ten. Posie makes the mistake of jumping straight in. She dunks below the surface only to burst forth spluttering and coughing.

"It's freezing!" she gasps.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"It must be meant to cool people off quickly after they've been in the heat," says Elisabeth, lowering herself into the pool a bit more cautiously. "Well, I think it's good to be unusual and different. I wouldn't want to be the same as everyone else."

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:28 pm
by Tabs
"Well said, Elisabeth, but it may be wise for you to wear a hat to disguise your blond features," says Mingzhu. "When we encounter strangers in the wild who can tell how they may react to you?"

The boy from the warm room joins them in the plunge pool. He and Posie, rather boisterously, splash each other.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good point," says Elisabeth, smiling as she watches Posie at play. "Yes, a hat would be best."

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:44 am
by Tabs
They move on to a room where the sexes are segregated. There's a bath, foaming with soapy suds, and an expanse of tiled flooring. A half naked woman, lying face down, is being pulverized by an ancient masseuse.

"Five minutes wait," says the masseuse in Chinese as she deals a mighty slap to the woman lying down.

Posie giggles nervously.

"I'm unsure about this!" whispers Mingzhu.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What's wrong?" Elisabeth whispers back, concern in her voice.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:03 pm
by Tabs
"No, no," says Mingzhu, "it just doesn't look too relaxing is all I meant."

"I'm ready for you," says the masseuse.

"You go first, Elisabeth," she says, and places a crown of soap suds upon Posie's head.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth stifles another giggle and walks forward to the masseuse. Santiago's suspicions must have me jumpy, thinks Elisabeth. Maybe this massage will help me to relax.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:12 am
by Tabs
"Hóng móa guîzi," mutters the masseuse as she spreads a towel for Elisabeth upon the floor.
OOC:   If you wish to talk with her make a language roll.  

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth bows politely and speakes to the old woman in excellent Mandarin. "Thank you," she says, lying on her belly on the towel.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:47 am
by aine
Santiago sits in the sun, surreptitiously watching the bustle on the street and idly playing with the small object he had bought earlier from the junk shop.
Tabs,The object is a small but beautifully made compass in a tiny wooden box. [img]http://i57.tinypic.com/fv9sue.jpg[/img]

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 pm
by Tabs
The masseuse stops kneading. "I do apologise if I offended you," she says in Chinese. "Can I say what a pleasure it is to talk with a--ah--blond lady. Now, any aches or pains in particular?"

~
aine,Yes, I like it.
Santiago watches the passersby, fingering his new toy and stretching his legs, his face tilted back to catch the sunbeams. A flash of light focuses his attention on a woman holding some object who is stood on the other side of the street. By her Western dress he quickly recognises her as the journalist from the Governor's residence.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's quite all right," says Elisabeth in Chinese, folding her arms in front of her and resting her head on them, "no offense is taken. It''s a pleasure to speak to you as well." She thinks back to her grueling flight from the Golden Pumpkin. "I don't think I have any pains in particular. I just ache all over. Maybe my legs hurt the worst." We sure did a lot of running! she thinks.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:12 pm
by Tabs
The masseuse firmly but gently lifts Elisabeth's calf and twists as far as it can go.

"My son," she says coversationally, "complains about Westerners. Lording over us from the treaty ports and not bothering to learn our language or customs."

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Sadly, there are many like that," says Elisabeth. "I know the sort, and I wouldn't want to be like them. I set out to learn what I could about the language and culture before I ever set foot in China. When I visit another country, I make an effort to comport myself in a diplomatic manner, as if I were an ambassador. For as a guest in your country, that is what I am, even without the title. I may be the only English person that the people I meet ever see."

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:53 pm
by Tabs
"I'm glad to hear it!" says the masseuse. She pulls back Elisabeth's arm, with her other hand she holds Elisabeth's shoulder and rotates the limb. "Why are you in Chengchow--it's a long way from everywhere!? You're not a missionary's wife are you?"--the masseuse glances at Posie--"And is this your servant?"--she looks at Mingzhu.

Mingzhu smiles archly.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, Mingzhu is a friend of the family," says Elisabeth, "and my husband is not a missionary. We're just passing through Chengchow on our way to visit the Kumbum monsatery. Ah, that feels good," she sighs, starting to relax as the masseuse works the tension out of her.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:23 pm
by aine
Santiago tips his hat higher to reveal his face more. He watches the journalist to see what is taking her interest and what she is photographing.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 pm
by Tabs
Santiago is in no doubt that it is him who is being photographed.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:40 pm
by Tabs
The masseuse continues: kneading, rotating, pushing, chopping, etc. until she is finally done.

Elisabeth feels good.

"It's my turn now," says Mingzhu, "I'm actually quite looking forward to this!"--her doubts put at ease by Elisabeth going first.

Posie nuzzles Elisabeth's elbow. "I don't want to be chopped, mummy."

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:27 am
by aine

Santiago frowns with annoyance and then changes tack: he smiles roguishly, turning his best side to the camera, and posing for a shot. He puts his hand up in greeting to the woman, beckoning her over.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You don't have to if you don't want to, dear," says Elisabeth, giving Posie a one-armed hug. "I know it looked painful, but it actuallly felt quite good."

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:17 pm
by Tabs

"We meet again, Mr. Santiago. What luck!"

~

"You have a deep cut on your foot," says the masseuse, examining Mingzhu carefully.

"I thought it was healing well?"

"It is, it is," replies the masseuse.

"I stepped on broken glass."

"A party, no doubt. You young things!"

"Yes, a party of sorts," says Mingzhu, looking at Elisabeth.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth returns her glance. "Yes, it was certainly a memorable evening," she says.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:56 am
by aine
"Funny thing, luck. Would you like to sit down Seniority? The drinks here are no worse than anywhere else." Santiago stands and offers a chair.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 pm
by Tabs
Ten minutes later Elisabeth, Posie and Mingzhu are stood outside the Turkish bath house. The café's tables on the sidewalk opposite are empty--no sign of Santiago.

~
OOC:   aine, move to the "Joy Street" topic.  

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth frowns and puts her hands on her hips. "Now where could he have gone?" she asks, looking around to see if anyone is present who might have seen him leave.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:32 am
by Tabs
"No idea," says Mingzhu.

"I'm tired," says Posie, with a hint of whining to come.

"I could take her back to the compound, Elisabeth, if you want to look for your husband?"

Elisabeth can't see anyone in particular amongst the milling pedestrians.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"My Chinese isn't the best, and I may need to talk to people," says Elisabeth, "but I've managed okay so far, and Posie is getting tired. Yes, thank you, go ahead back. I'll take a walk around the block and see if anything jumps out at me. If I still can't find him, I guess I'll wait for him where he said he'd meet me. Maybe he just went to the little boys' room."

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:46 pm
by Tabs
"See you soon." Mingzhu hails a rickshaw; she and Posie climb aboard and the driver trots away down the street.

Elisabeth, by herself, standing outside the bath house, waves goodbye as they depart.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

With no other leads, Elisabeth follows her plan to make a cicruit around the block, keeping her eyes open as she walks.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:47 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth wanders around but there isn't any sign of Santiago. She could try asking the staff at the café, also there is a traffic policeman directing the wagons and trucks, and a nearby rickshaw taxi rank.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth returns to the café and approaches the staff, starting out in English and switching to Chinese if that doesn't work. "Excuse me," she says. "'I'm looking for my husband. He was sitting here earlier. Do you know which way he went?" She describes Santiago.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:28 am
by Tabs
The staff at the café know exactly who Elisabeth is talking about, "He went that way," says a waiter pointing down the street." He hesitates, then adds: "With a woman."

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth, raising an eyebrow. She begins to walk briskly in the indicated direction, her thoughts racing. I know we're not really married, she thinks, but he couldn't...he wouldn't have... She shakes her head. No, there's got to be some other explanation. But he doesn't even know anyone in Chengchow outside of the compound, and I can't imagine he'd trust a stranger enough to go off with her considering how wary he's been. Although, maybe he underestimated her because she's a woman. She could easily be armed or lead him into a trap, though. I'd better hurry!

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:00 pm
by Tabs
She hurries down the street.

A bald man, wearing a white peasant's suit, walks toward her; Elisabeth notices he is looking directly at her.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth looks back at the man warily. Maybe I'm walking into a trap, she thinks, but he could simply be staring because I look so foreign. In any case, he's already seen me. She musters her confidence and approaches him. "Can I help you, sir?" she asks, first in English and then in Chinese.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 am
by Tabs
She feels her fingers being tugged and something flat with corners thrust into her palm. Street children are playing with her hands and selling matchbooks.

"5 jiao, 5 jiao, Lóng xiǎojiě," says an urchin.

Elisabeth looks back to the bald man only to see his back as he continues walking, past her and away, without turning round.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth fishes out 5 jiao from her coin purse and pays the urchin who pressed the matchbook into her hand, then addresses him or her in Chinese. "Excuse me, did you see a man and a woman go by here earlier?" she asks, going on to describe Santiago and realizing that she never did get a description of the woman. Still, he should stand out well enough that nobody would mistake him for someone else.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 am
by Tabs
"A foreigner, like you?" asks the urchin--a little boy.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's right," says Elisabeth, nodding. Spanish people were very different from English, of course, but there was no sense in overcomplicating things.

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:50 am
by Tabs
"I don't know, lady; but Mr. Zhongshan, the shopkeeper may have. . . ."

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth. "Where can I find him?"

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:38 pm
by Tabs
"He's through here," says the urchin, beckoning Elisabeth into a shop nearby, "Come, come."

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth slips the matchbook into a pocket and follows him into the shop.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:45 am
by Tabs

Elisabeth enters the shop. It is dim inside, full of tables and chairs draped in cloth. There don't appear to be any wares for sale. She spots movement in the shadows, a man, gently stretching and striking elegant poses. Is he aware of her?--whatever, he continues with his movements.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth stands and watches the man, not wanting to interrupt his exercises. Is he practicing martial arts, perhaps? she thinks.

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm
by Tabs
The music finishes. After a pause in which he breathes deeply he lifts the gramaphone's needle and sleeves the disc. "Wǒ néng wéi nǐ zuò shénme?" he asks turning to Elisabeth, and then in English, "Ah, an unexpected guest!"

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth bows deeply. "Ni hao, Mr. Zhongshan," she says. "I am looking for my husband. He is a foreigner like me, tall and rakishly handsome." She describes Santiago in more detail. "He was last seen in the company of a woman. I was told that you might have seen him. Have you, by any chance?"

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:57 am
by Tabs
Zhongshan regards her blankly, it is clear that he doesn't know who she is talking about. "We have been tricked by that little rascal!" he is referring to the urchin. He snatches up a newspaper page, screws it into a ball and throws it at the fleeing boy, who is giggling as he runs away; the ball bounces off the back of the urchin's skull; Zhongshan smiles, "Satisfying!

"Are you lost?" he asks.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I'm not familiar with the neighborhood," admits Elisabeth. "I know which way goes back to the café where my husband was supposed to wait for me, and I know which way he was seen leaving, but I have no idea where he might be going."

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:40 pm
by Tabs
"Hmmm, I can't say what to do for the best," he says. "You should return to the main streets, and avoid these side streets. I am sure you would be safe but a Western lady by herself . . . . I'll walk with you, if you wish?"

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, I'd like that," says Elisabeth. "You're most kind. Shall we go?"

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:38 am
by Tabs
They head back to the main street. "I guess that you are a guest of Mr. Norrin?" says Zhongshan.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've met Mr. Norrin," says Elisabeth, "but we're actually staying with the Swastika Society." She indicates the direction in which she had been heading. "My husband was seen heading that way."

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:57 pm
by Tabs
"They are good men," he says, "but poor; I trust you are comfortable?" Zhongshan doesn't comment on her husband. "Ah, here we are," Elisabeth has returned to the main street beside the bath house.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, quite comfortable," says Elisabeth. "All right, the staff at the café said he went that way." She points down the street that had been mentioned. "Do you know what points of interest are in that direction?"

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:51 am
by Tabs
"Nothing of interest I'm afraid, but if you walk a fair distance you will reach the city wall--I suppose it could be of interest. . . . Perhaps you ought to return to the Swastika Society?" Zhongshan seems a little perplexed by Elisabeth's predicament.

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"But he was supposed to wait for me outside the café," says Elisabeth. "If he returns and I'm not there, he won't know where I've gone, although I could leave a message for him there. But what if something's happened to him?"

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:48 am
by Tabs
Zhongshan favours Elisabeth with a sympathetic, but stern, look. His good manners prevent him from speculating with her about arguments and tiffs with the missing husband. "I think it is time for me to leave you. Your husband will turn up soon. Good luck!"

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your help," says Elisabeth. "Goodbye." She returns to the café to see if Santiago is there now, and to leave a message for him saying that they have returned to the Swastika Society if he is not.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 am
by Tabs
There is no sign of Santiago at the café. She leaves a note for him with the staff, and returns to the street to hail a rickshaw. A driver with his little cart trots towards her, the skinny man looks at Elisabeth to hear her destination.
OOC:   Roll Spot Hidden.  

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth notices something out of the corner of her eye.
OOC,Before I leave, I'd like to ask the person I spoke to before for a description of the woman.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 am
by Tabs
"A local woman," says the waiter, "but in Western clothing and carrying a large camera."

~

Elisabeth notices, on the corner of the side street that she previously walked up in search of Santiago, a boy, an urchin--watching her.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Just a moment," says Elisabeth to the rickshaw driver. Curious, she approaches the urchin, wondering if he's the same one who tricked her earlier, or a different one.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am
by Tabs
Yes, it is the same boy. Elisabeth, 10 yards away, can see the urchin's eyes widen and he suddenly looks very animated--on the verge of scarpering.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth turns back and returns to the rickshaw, pretending not to see the boy but keeping an eye on him surreptitiously. Hopefully he'll walk away instead of running, she thinks. Either way, I'd like to try following him in the rickshaw. I wouldn't want to chase him alone and on foot, but I need to see where he goes. Someone might have put him up to this to get me off the scent, and with any luck he'll head right to whoever that is to report in.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:10 pm
by Tabs
The boy does indeed begin to walk away. And, coming towards her, with a cheery wave, is Santiago.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth grins with relief and rushes over to Santiago. "There you are!" she says. "I was worried sick! I've been looking all over for you." She points out the urchin now that his back is turned and he can't see her. "See that boy? When I was searching for you, he played a trick on me and a local shopkeeper. Then when I came back here I noticed him watching me. I'm wondering if someone put him up to it. Perhaps we should follow him discreetly in the rickshaw and see where he goes."

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 am
by aine
Santiago smiles back. "You've been ages, I'm surprised you haven't washed away altogether! I've met someone else overly interested in us too - a local reporter asking about the Golden Pumkin and the fire! Maybe the boy's working for the paper." But Santiago doesn't believe that and wonders what other agents are abroad. "We could follow him so long as he doesn't go into a dubious district, and it'll be difficult - we don't exactly blend in."

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Then let's do that before we lose sight of him," says Elisabeth. "We weren't that long. We came out quite some time ago, but you were gone. Posie was getting tired, so Mingzhu took her back to the compound while I went to search for you. I'm surprised you trusted this reporter enough to go off with her - and I notice you didn't mention that she's a woman."

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm
by aine
Santiago looks surprised and a bit put out. "She was a reporter!" And then he remembers something and cheers up immediately. He hails a rickshaw and bustles Elizabeth into it, squeezing into the seat beside her. "You'd better direct the driver; your Chinese is 100% better than mine." He is smiling, with something on his mind.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry," says Elisaebth, softening. "I shouldn't be jealous." She goes with Santiago to the rickshaw that she had hailed just before he had arrived and nestles beside him, resting her head on his shoulder. She instructs the driver which way to go, pointing in the direction that the boy is heading to make it clear. "I'm just relieved you're all right. You were the one who told me to be wary. How did you know she really was a reporter? She could have been armed or leading you into a trap where some friends were waiting."

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:29 pm
by aine
Santiago puts his arm round Elizabeth, only partly to shield her from the jostling of the rickshaw. He smiles grimly, "I was well aware she was probably a spy; she was certainly fishing! Wanted to know if I knew anything about possible survivors from the fire! Did she know I was one, or was she guessing? I'm sure they'll be keeping an eye on us until we leave town." The rickshaw speeds precariously over a tiny humpback bridge, throwing them about. Santiago grabs hold of the side,

"I can't believe the first time we're alone together, we're jumping about in the back of a rickshaw! Not exactly a moonlit open carriage ride is it." He grins and then becomes serious and looks into Elizabeth's eyes, "Elizabeth, I just wanted to say that, well, you mean an awful lot to me; and I hope one day that..." He's interrupted by a swerve around a corner."Look, this is for you. For now." He digs into his pocket and pulls out a tiny and beautifully ornate box that sits neatly in Elizabeth's palm. Santiago smiles fondly at her.

"We need to talk later though, seriously; I'm on a mission totally separate to ours and it's dangerous. I can't ask you to come along unless you know the full story."

Elizabeth opens the box and finds a tiny but perfectly working compass inside.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth's heart flutters as Santiago speaks. "Oh, how lovely!" she gushes when she sees the compass. She gazes up into his eyes, smiling back. "We're not exactly alone; the driver is mere feet in front of us. But I get your meaning. I...I feel the same way about you, Santiago, and I share your hopes. I suppose I wouldn't have been jealous otherwise. I'm not afraid to accompany you for myself, but I do worry about Posie."

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 am
by Tabs
As instructed by Elisabeth, the rickshaw driver trots after the boy who had been spying on Elisabeth but who is now departing, making his way along the street. After a few corners Elisabeth realises that she and Santiago are at the opposite end of the side street she had walked up 20 minutes ago. The boy steps inside Zhongshan's shop.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you so much, Santiago," says Elisabeth, gently closing the box and putting it away in her pocket. "I shall treasure it always." She takes the matchbook out of the same pocket. "I came this way earlier when I was searching for you, as you'd been seen heading in this direction. A crowd of urchins approached me, trying to sell me matches. One of them, the one we followed, placed this matchbook in my hand. I paid him for it and asked him if he'd seen you, and he took me to this shop, run by a Mr. Zhongshan, saying that he may have seen you. Yet the shopkeeper seemed not to know anything about it, saying the urchin had tricked us both, and the boy fled. I wonder if he had slipped me a note in this matchbook." She looks inside to see if it contains anything besides matches,

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:00 am
by Tabs
OOC:   Good idea, but unfortunately no note.  
Elisabeth flips open the matchbook and finds a row of thin sticks topped with blobs of sulfur.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 pm
by aine
Santiago looks at the match book and shrugs. "I think we should follow him in, it looks like he has some connection with this Zongshan even if the shopkeeper denies it." He stops the rickshaw and pays him, then he helps Elizabeth out.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Elisabeth, shutting and putting the matchbook away and alighting from the rickshaw. "If we're careful, they might not even hear us enter, and I can eavesdrop on them and find out what they're up to. He didn't seem to notice me when I first walked on. He was doing some exercises, perhaps some form of martial art."

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth and Santiago approach the shop.

OOC:   Elisabeth's Listen 65% and Sneak 10%--the street is busy and noisy, so Sneak is at +40%.  

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:55 pm
by aine
Santiago pads noiselessly behind Elizabeth as they creep into the shop.
rolls,Listen 55 and sneak 30 : [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4722204/]1d100=22, 1d100=19[/url]

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:16 pm
by Tabs
Santiago is indeed like a puma, unfortunately Elisabeth brushes against a wicker basket of beans, some of them spill and pepper the ground.

"Nǐ hǎo," says an urchin, poking his head out of the shop door and smiling; it is the same boy who has been playing tig with Elisabeth all afternoon.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nǐ hǎo," replies Elisabeth. "I found my husband."

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:28 pm
by aine
Santiago nods ruefully and carefully picks up the bean basket. He has a good look around to see what sort of place It really Is.

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:49 pm
by Tabs
The boy giggles naughtily and runs, crashing into Santiago.
OOC:   aine, roll Luck.  
As the boy does so, Zhongshan appears in the shop doorway, he hears Elisabeth say she has found her husband, "Yes, indeed. How can I help you now?"

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'd like to thank you for your help earlier, Mr. Zhongshan," says Elisabeth. "Not many people would have left their shops unattended to do that."

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:21 pm
by aine

Santiago attempts to grab the boy and haul him into the air. He then theatrically pats his pockets to see if there is anything missing with the other hand.
luck,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4737743/]1d100=5[/url]

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:54 pm
by Tabs
Zhongshan replies to Elisabeth: "Think nothing of it---" and the boy is hauled into the air by Santiago; the shopkeeper laughs as some loose change, formerly in the Spaniard's pockets, tinkle upon the cobbles; "What a wicked boy!"

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, he's very naughty," says Elisabeth, picking up the coins and returning them to Santiago. "What is his name, and who are his parents?"

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:58 pm
by Tabs
"Little Páshǒu," answers Zhongshan, "and his parents, who knows?--I found him, abandoned, by the train track several years ago. I suppose that I am his father." He adds politely, with a gracious bow to Santiago: "Now that you two have been reunited, won't you stay for tea?"

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that would be most kind," says Elisabeth, glancing at Santiago. "Dear, do we have time to stay for tea?" She looks back at Zhongshan. "Well, that explains why he keeps coming here. Since you are his father of sorts, you will need to discipline him to correct his bad behaviour."

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:19 pm
by aine

Santiago ruffles the boy's hair, "Cheeky young rascal!" He smiles. "Of course we can stay for tea, Dear."

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:27 am
by Tabs
"You can be sure that I will discipline the boy," replies Zhongshan to Elisabeth, "and I will start immediately," and he rattles off intructions to Little Páshǒu--to the effect that he is to mind the shop.

Zhongshan leads Santiago and Elisabeth through the shop--which sells a variety of beans and seeds--and out the back. He parts a curtain of beads to reveal a café table and chairs on a veranda before a tiny courtyard. "Chá!," he shouts to the boy, "Please, sit," he says to his guests.

"You believe in correcting bad behaviour, Mrs.? . . ."

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"El Aguila," says Elisabeth, "and thank you." She takes the proffered seat. "Yes, I do. If you don't correct bad behaviour, you will get more of it. Fortunately, our daughter is well behaved."

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:44 pm
by Tabs
"I should follow your example, Mrs. el Aguila. I am afraid I have been remiss with the boy," says Zhongshan sadly. "Now, tell me, what brings such a delightful couple to Chengchow?"

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're passing through, on our way to the interior," says Elisabeth. "There's a monastery we're going to visit."

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:03 pm
by aine
"Yes, we are visiting a monestery and any unusual temples we come across." Santos go adds as he takes a cup of tea.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:48 am
by Tabs
Zhongshan thinks for a moment. "There are interesting sites . . . yes, near Tibet as I recall. It's a fair distance from here." He regards you two, but what is on his mind is impossible to tell. "I'd advise not to venture south, overland to Hong Kong for example, the countryside there is full of communists."

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's excellent advice," says Elisabeth. "We won't be heading in that direction. When I first came into this shop, I saw you performing some interesting exercises, Mr. Zhongshan. Are you a student of the martial arts?"

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:52 pm
by Tabs
"Tai chi," says Zhongshan, "you saw me doing some Tai chi exercises." He smiles to himself. "And do you have an interest in martial arts, Mrs. el Aguila?"

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've never studied them," says Elisabeth, "but I have heard of Tai Chi Chu'an. I'm not very strong, and I have no desire to fight. From what I've heard, Tai Chi would be ideal for me. It is said that you use your opponent's strength against him, so it would be the sort of thing one would learn to protect oneself." She recalls her helplessness and horror when the Japanese soldiers attacked, and winces inwardly at the terrible fate she narrowly avoided at their hands. "I do have my husband to protect me, it's true, but what if something happens when he isn't around? I can see how it would be helpful to be able to defend myself. The style is also very fluid and elegant, almost like a dance, and it appeals to me. It would be good for self-discipline and health as well. I would like to learn, though I know it would take years to become skilled. But speaking of Communists, what is it that Mao Tse-Tung is so fond of saying? The journey of a thousand li begins with a single step, I believe. Yes, I would like to take that first step, if you would be willing to guide me."

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:47 pm
by Tabs
"I would be willing," says Zhongshan." 'Women hold up half the sky,' do they not, sir?" he says to Santiago. He stands, "No time like the present. Sit upright, madam," he holds out his hands towards Elisabeth, "I am going to touch you," Zhongshan checks with Santiago that he has no objection, and then places one hand upon Elisabeth's diaphragm and his other upon her back, "Now breathe deeply, madam."
OOC:   Elisabeth, roll vs. Power (Luck 45%)  

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth takes a deep breath as instructed, hoping for the best but not expecting much.

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:50 am
by aine
Wanting watches Elizabeth fondly and admiring her dedication. The martial arts reminds him of his old friend the monk, and wonders what happened to him.

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 am
by Tabs
"I always like to 'gauge' new students," says Zhongshan. "I hold a class each morning at 7; you are welcome to come along.

"And you, sir, does Tai chi interest you as well?"

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 pm
by aine

Santiago smiles wryly, "I fear I wouldn't have the right temperament, I am far too impatient." Although he knows this isn't true as he remembers the hours of painstakingly slow tracking and waiting he has done in the past. "Plus I fear I'd use to for aggression which wouldn't be right, would it?"

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:08 pm
by Tabs
"Quite right," replies Zhongshan, "your honesty does you credit; as your wife said, it is for defence only."

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:01 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Zhongsan," says Elisabeth. "While we will not be in Chengchow long, I would like to attend your class while we are here. Perhaps our daughter would be interested as well." The desire to protect Posie is prominent in her mind, and it flowed naturally into the girl learning to protect herself too, in addition to the discipline that came with pracitcing marital arts. Posie would probably be eager to try it, especially if the two of them did so together.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 am
by Tabs
"Of course," he says, "your daughter will be most welcome. More tea?"

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, but I think we had best be going soon," says Elisabeth. "We have an engagement this evening, and we need to get ready for it. If you'll excuse us, I shall see you in the morning." And perhaps Posie as well, she thinks. I wonder how she'd get on with the urchin?

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 pm
by aine

Santiago stands, "Thank you for the tea, sir. It has been very pleasant. Shall I bring the two ladies around for a class tomorrow, perhaps?" He says to Elizabeth, '''We'd better hurry, we need to get changed for dinner tonight and I don't know how far the residence is."

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'd better go, darling," says Elisabeth, also rising. She offers Santiago her arm. She looks forward to wearing the lovely dress she bought earlier today, and she's sure he'll like seeing her in it.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:17 pm
by Tabs
Twenty minutes later a rickshaw with Mr. and Mrs. el Aguila aboard rattles over the cobbles towards the Swastika Society's compound. They recognise Mingzhu, smoking her habitual cigarette, sat on the front step.

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:22 am
by aine
Santiago helps Elizabeth down from the rickshaw and pays the man. "What? Not yet dressed for dinner, MInghzu?" He asks in amused surprise.

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth beams as she alights from the rickshaw. "Thank you," she says to Santiago. "How is Posie doing, Mingzhu? Is she still tired, or did she have a nap?"

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:32 pm
by Tabs
"No, not yet, Señor," answers Mingzhu, stubbing out her cigarette. "Posie is fine, Elisabeth; full of energy," she says with a sigh; "the little girl is teaching Feng how to cook a Spanish omelette," Mingzhu grins at Santiago. She waves her hand as if to sweep away inconsequential matters, "You'll never guess what has happened!"

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth tries to think of what might have happened, but she comes up blank. "You're right, I'll never guess it," she says with a grin. "I suppose you'll have to tell us."

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 am
by Tabs
"The Doctor and Caroline have left, and they've taken all of their things with them. But the best part: Jian said that they left together!"

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh my!" says Elisabeth, raising a hand to her mouth. "Well, I wish them the best, and I hope they've found true love. It's a shame we never had a chance to see them off, though."

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:07 pm
by aine
Santiago is truly surprised this time. He just can't believe it knowing how Henry felt about Caroline. Rather worried for his old friend he says, "Did Henry seem, um, happy? Was it his idea do you know? Where did they go?" He is rather agitated.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 am
by Tabs
" 'True love', Elisabeth, I presume that you are being sarcastic," says Mingzhu. "We are talking about a femme fatale and Henri, who--excuse me, Señor--seemed a bit--um--unused to women. As for the details, I don't know any. When Jian told me the happy news I came outside for a smoke."

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

I know what Caroline is like, thinks Elisabeth, but true love exists, and you never know when it will blindside you, She glances at Santiago and smiles. I know it's probably not like that in her case, but I can still hope. "Well, we'd best get ready for the party."

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:53 pm
by aine

Santiago breaks from his concerned introspection and smiles fondly at Elizabeth. "We'd better hurry then. There may be some omelette to clean up first!" He heads into the compound towards the kitchen.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Or eat up, at any rate," says Elisabeth, following Santiago - and her nose - to the kitchen. "I doubt they'll make a mess. I daresay Posie is a better cook than I am."

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:08 am
by Tabs
Santiago's fears regarding the omelette are realised, there is egg shell and potato peel everywhere, but Elisabeth is also right about Posie because she can tell the mess is down to Feng, the hapless man is trying to poach the eggs. Posie turns away from the fireplace and says:

"Oh, Mummy, the silly man is hopeless!"

Ouyang and the old man Dao are watching on from the far end of the table, they don't look at all happy with the culinary antics.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not everyone is cut out to be a chef, dear," says Elisabeth. "I'm sure Mr. Feng has other useful talents, but cooking is not amongst them."

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 am
by Tabs
Posie favours Elisabeth with a disbelieving look; Mingzhu laughs. "Look here," says the little girl eventually, "the one I prepared earlier,"--she lifts a cover to reveal a hot plate with omelette --"is edible."

Mingzhu takes a tiny bite. "It's okay, surprisingly!" Posie thumps playfully at Aunty M. "Shall we get dressed for dinner?" asks Mingzhu excitedly, thinking about her new dress.

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, yes, let's!" says Elisabeth, thinking about her own dress. "We'd look rather silly if we showed up in what we're wearing now."

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:10 pm
by aine
Santiago pointedly looks at his watch but says nothing about it. "Well, meet here as soon as you are ready." He goes for a quick wash in the yard and gets dressed in his new clothes. He is very glad to see that the Chinese tailor has done a fine job - as far as he can see for there are no mirrors that he can find in the rustic compound. Once dressed, he has a quick look over the new expedition gear while he waits for the girls; he can hear excited and happy laughter coming from their room.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:07 am
by Tabs
Upstairs, the women get ready--

Mingzhu presses the fabric of the he dress between her thumb and forefinger, "Oh, what lovely material!"

Posie slips on a white, cotton frock which has "Han" purple motifs printed on it. She frowns: "I'm covered in blue spots!"

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"They remind me of polka dots," says Elisabeth as she changes into her own dress. "Sort of like the ones on my bathing suit. If that outfit is not to your liking, I'm sure we can find something else. By the way, I met a shopkeeper today, a Mr. Zhongshan. He practices a martial art called Tai Chi, where you use elegant and fluid moves to defend yourself. He has offered to teach us the basics of it, starting tomorrow morning. Would you like to come learn it with me? You'd have to wake up early, but it should be fun. There's also a little boy that he looks after there. He's a mischievous little scamp!"

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 am
by Tabs
"Like your bathing suit," responds Posie, smiling happily and looking into the distance, "in that case I'll wear it."

Mingzhu ties a scarlet ribbon round her slim waist. "The spots are tiny Chinese characters, they say 'Good luck' a thousand times over."

"Really!" she says. Posie answers Elisabeth regarding the martial arts class: "Yes, I would love to learn Tea Chives; but I'm unsure about this boy--in my experience they are horrid creatures!"

~

Santiago checks their gear, he is aware of Jian's approach and that he is holding an alpenstock. "Your friend, the doctor, left this behind."

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, this one can be horrid," says Elisabeth. "He tried to nick Santiago's wallet, but he caught him." She smiles with the memory. "Mr. Zhongshan is the closest thing the boy has to a father, and he's trying to discipline him, but it isn't easy." She adjusts her dress and twirls around, its skirt billowing up a little as she does so. "How do I look?"

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:21 pm
by aine
Santiago takes the alpenstock and hefts it in his hands, feeling its weight and missing his friend keenly. "Thankyou Jian. Did Dr Renwick say anything about where he was going or why?"

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:03 pm
by Tabs

"Well, I suppose he deserves a chance," thinks Posie aloud.

"You look beautiful, Elisabeth. Let's go downstairs."

~

Jian is holding an alpenstock . . . and a rucksack.

"No, nothing," replies Jian, "though he didn't look happy. That woman, Ms. Lamarr, seemed to have him on a 'tight leash'--I think that is the phrase."

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth leads the way, striding downstairs with confidence and joy. I can't wait for Santiago to see me in this dress, she thinks. I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl! Hah! Not that long ago, I was a schoolgirl!

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:38 am
by aine

"I knew it! That woman is up to something! Poor Henry, he's no match for her, we must find him. Jian, did they say where they were headed? Did they go by car or train?" Santiago paces up and down like a caged leopard.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:21 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth strides down the stairs and into the room with Santiago and Jian; she hears the conversation regarding Renwick and Caroline.

"I guess they'd leave by train," says Jian, "but there are none until the morning."

So has come into room, carrying a sheaf of pamphlets. "Excepting the overnight train for goods and produce."

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth's face falls as she hears the discussion. "What have I missed?" she asks. "Has Caroline...kidnapped Dr. Renwick? But why would she want him, apart from the obvious reason?"

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:54 pm
by aine
Santiago sees Elizabeth and his pacing comes to an abrupt halt. "You look... beautiful. I hadn't, I suppose we haven't, don't l..." Santiago gives up on what he's trying to say and instead walks over and takes Elizabeth's hands, he kisses her knuckles gently. "It's been rather rough hasn't it? I'm sorry. You do brush up well though!" He grins mischievously and then turns serious.

"Look, Henry left these behind."
He shows Elizabeth the alpenstock and opens the rucksack to look inside. "There's no way there's anything romantic between Henry and Caroline Lamarr. And why would they leave in the middle of the night in such a hurry? Something is up. So, what time does the goods train depart?"

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth blushes and gives Santiago a kind smile. "Thank you, darling," she says. "Being with you has helped me get through everything that's happened." She examines Henry's abandoned possessions, deep in thought. "Perhaps Caroline wanted Henry for his skills as a doctor. I can think of a reason why a woman such as her might want one. But why leave town on a train? He could have done what she wants here with nobody the wiser. Unless it's not for her but for someone else. And how did she get him to accompany her? Could she have blackmailed him?"

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 pm
by Tabs
Santiago opens the rucksack and finds a crumpled shirt atop several items.

"You do remember," says Mingzhu, "that none of us had any possessions when we arrived?"

So says: "The goods train stops at 3 in the morning, it offloads vegetables for the market."

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're right!" gasps Elisabeth. "I had quite forgotten. So where did these things come from?"

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm
by aine
Santiago looks to see if the shirt and other items are Henry's or someone elses. He wonders if Henry might have left a clue. "You must be right, Henry would only leave to help someone in dire need. We could drop Mingzhu and Posie back here after dinner and check out the goods yard later."

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think that would be for the best," says Elisabeth, examining the objects in the sack. She's glad that he's not excluding her from this. While she'd understand if he felt protective towards her, she knows that she'd be the best person to talk to Caroline if they found her and get to the bottom of it all.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:01 pm
by Tabs
The shirt has a name label "Müller." Inside the rucksack is a pair of crampons, and various items of underwear; you both notice a cloth badge, it is a small flag sewn onto the leather--an offset white cross upon a red background; obviously the rucksack does not belong to the Doctor. There is a pouch on its front, once unbuckled you find a letter, pencil and penknife.

Santiago suggests meeting the goods train.

"Must you?" says a concerned Mingzhu. "Oh, please be careful."

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"We shall be," says Elisabeth, hoping to allay her fears before Santiago decides it's too dangerous to allow her to come with him, "but we must go before Caroline and Dr. Renwick are lost to us." She looks at the flag with interest. "If I'm not mistaken, this flag is Swiss. That fits with the name Müller as well. Must be some kind of mountain climber. Perhaps someone who was part of Peter Fleming and Ella Maillart's expedition? Perhaps the letter will reveal more."

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:01 pm
by aine

"Santiago opens the letter with interest, "Are you happy with leaving Posie and Mingzhu here? I feel it'll be safer than lurking in the goods yard at the middle of the night but we won't be here if anything happens." He thinks back to last night and the strange occurrence in the yard outside and frowns. Then he reads the letter aloud,
ooc,if in English or Spanish of course!

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"They'll be safer here than they would be if they came with us," says Elisabeth. "If you can't think of a safer place to leave them, it's the best we can do."

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:27 am
by Tabs
"We'll be safest here," says Mingzhu, placing her arm round Posie.
OOC:   Rewind slightly regarding the letter.  
Santiago notes that it is still sealed and is without a stamp or postmark. The address is to:

Frau. Müller
6 See Straße
Zürich
Schweiz

and written on the back is Jorkens Müller, c / o bibliothèque Chine, Chengchow.

Feng enters and says in Chinese: "The rickshaw for our guests is outside."

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"It looks to be in German," says Elisabeth. "Unless someone here can read German, it doesn't pay to open it. I see I was right about Switzerland. Well, now we have an address for Müller. We could go to the library tomorrow and see if he's still there. But now we'd best head to the party. Our ride is here." She offers Santiago her arm.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:55 am
by aine
"Let's take it with us, maybe they can help us at the residency." Santiago puts it in his pocket, flourishes a bow, and helps the ladies into the rickshaw. "Tally-ho!" he calls, to Posie's delight.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth grins too, nestling against Santiago and putting an arm around Posie. I feel like we're really a family, she thinks. One day, perhaps it shall be real.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:03 pm
by Tabs
Posie playfully thumps Santiago, "Silly!"; Minghzu grins.

Twenty minutes later the rickshaw heads up the drive of 6 Rue Marmaduke.

It is dusk now, so when the front door opens a trapezium of electric light illuminates the guests; and ready, with welcoming greetings, are Mr. and Mrs. Norrin.

"Halloo! Halloo!" cries Mr. Norrin.

Image Image

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening, Mr. Norrin," says Elisabeth with a ready smile. "And to you as well, Mrs. Norrin. My, that's a lovely dress!"

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:01 am
by aine

Santiago shakes Mr Norrin's hand and kisses Mrs Norrin's. "Charmed!" He bows and the introduces the girls, "This is Mingzhu and young Posie."

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 pm
by Tabs
"Thank you, my dear," says Mrs. Norrin. And when Santiago kisses her hand: "Oh, how nice! Welcome, welcome all of you!" this last comment comes after Posie curtsies and Mingzhu says:

"Chee Mingzhu," and she extends a hand.

"Good evening to you too!" says a smiling Mr. Norrin. "Please, come inside."

In the hallway a servant takes their coats. "The drawing room is this way," says Mrs. Norrin, pointing to an open doorway. "Dinner will be served in a half hour."

Posie claps and jumps with pleasure: "Goodie!"

"Cigar, sir?" enquires Mr. Norrin of Santiago.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Elisabeth to Mrs. Norrin as she surrenders her coat. "My husband is ever so gallant. That's one reason I fell in love with him."

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:22 pm
by aine
Santiago declines the cigar, "Thankyou no, maybe after dinner?" He follows his host into the drawing room. "This is an impressive house, have you lived here long?" Out of the corner of his eye he watches how the ladies in his party take to the finery of the decor after such a long time living without.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 am
by Tabs

"Oh, young love!" replies Mrs. Norrin wistfully, who, you judge, is not too much older than yourself. "Please, call me Cicely."

Posie is prodding thoughtfully at a stuffed bear, which stands beside the fireplace.

Mingzhu sinks into a comfy armchair, her "ahhhh" of pleasure is audible.

"Exactly two years. Foreigners in China," says Mr. Norrin, with a smile, "enjoy a very good standard of living. Back in Putney, that's a suburb of London, I roomed in a tiny flat! That was before I married Cicely of course.

"You're not English, sir, pray tell me, whereabouts are you from?"

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Cicely," says Elisabeth. "And you may call me Elisabeth." She regards the bear, which towers over her, in awe. "Such an impressive beast! Your husband is quite the hunter."

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:38 pm
by aine
"You are quite correct, sir" says Santiago with a smile, "I am Spanish, Don Santiago, Conde de Cervera." He bows formally and gives his full rank as Mr Norris seems an impressionable sort. He realises this is the first time that Elizabeth will have heard it too and prepares himself for a stern talking to later. "But I am known as Santiago el Aguila after my adventures as a hunter in Argentina. I take it you are something of a sportsman yourself, Mr Norris?" He says eying up the bear. He wonders what the older gentleman has to attach the much younger Mrs Norris; it couldn't have been money if he had once lived in a small 'flat'.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth turns to look at Santiago. Far from being put out, she is smiling. I had no idea I was marrying into the aristocracy, she thinks. As far as I know, nobody in our family has more than a knighthood. I think this will please Father and make him more amenable to us marrying for real. Someone in the Foreign Service can never have too many connections like this.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:32 pm
by Tabs
Cicely laughs, and touches Elisabeth's arm: "Oh, Elisabeth, if you only knew the joke you'd made!" She adds, "That moth-eaten monster was already here when we moved in, and Beauchamp wants to keep it--sadly!

"Isn't that so, Beauchamp?"

"Eh, what?" says Mr. Norrin, looking befuddled. "Unlike Don Santiago, I am no sportsman," he turns to Elisabeth, "or huntsman, I can assure you!" he pats his rotund belly.

Posie pipes up: "So it's not a giant toy bear?"

The dinner gong sounds. "Time to eat," chuckles Mr. Norrin, indicating a door to the dining room. "Perhaps," he says to Santiago, "at dinner, you would regale us with some of your adventures in Argentina?"

Cicely holds up a hand and says quietly: "What are we to do about your friend?" She means Mingzhu, who is fast asleep.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh dear," says Elisabeth. "It has been a long day for her, and she must be truly exhausted. Do you have a guest room available where she could be moved? We could leave a note for her to come join us when she awakens."

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 am
by Tabs
"The stairs to the guest room may be a problem," wonders Cecily. "I have an idea: there's a chaise lounge in the library next door, let's put her there. Have you travelled far today, Elisabeth?"

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent idea, Cecily," says Elisabeth. "We arrived in town yesterday, but we've been busy running errands all day. We've been doing a lot of shopping too. While it's enjoyable, it can also be exhausting. Posie had a nap earlier and is well rested, but Mingzhu hasn't until now."

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:05 am
by aine
"She looks very comfortable there and she may be embarrassed if we wake her now. Leave her be." Santiago looks kindly at the sleeping girl and nods to Mr Norrin before holding his arm out to Elizabeth to escort her to the dining room.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Elisabeth links arms with Santiago and takes Posie by the hand, then heads to the dining room with them.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:44 pm
by Tabs

"Take a seat wherever you wish," says Cecily.

"Now, my dear," says Mr. Norrin to Elisabeth, "I suppose you were one of Ivan's--Professor Pavlov that is--students?"

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Cecily," says Elisabeth. "I'd like to sit by you." She turns to Mr. Norrin. "No, I haven't had that pleasure, but I did meet Professor Pavlov recently and discussed his experiments with him. Why do you ask?"

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:59 am
by Tabs
Cecily and Elisabeth sit down beside each other, Posie opposite, and then the men, with Mr. Norrin at the head of the table.

"I only assumed, my dear," replies Mr. Norrin. "I haven't met up with Professor Pavlov for several months--I really should travel to Peking."

"Oh you should, Beauchamp!" interrupts Cecily, giving a playful, and undisguised, wink at Elisabeth.

Mr. Norrin chuckles. He continues: "So you know about his dogs?--sorry, that sounded a little uncouth." The servant who collected their coats walks in carrying a tureen. He deftly ladles a bowl of consommé for everyone.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:19 pm
by aine
Santiago barely disguises a sigh of relief - finally some decent food!

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite all right," says Elisabeth. "I understand what you meant. Yes, I learned about his behavioral conditioning experiments when I studied psychology at university. Professor Pavlov would ring a bell each time before he fed them. Eventually, the sound of the bell alone was enough to make them salivate, even if there was no food. People can be similarly conditioned. The smell of this consommé has much the same effect on me, for instance." She smiles, inhaling the aroma.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:42 am
by Tabs
"Wine!" says Mr. Norrin, he snaps his fingers and says to himself, "I always forget something!" He takes a decanter and offers to pour for those who want their glass filled.

"Do you have any more animals?" asks Posie.

"Like the bear, little one?" he says, "no, I am afraid not. Bertram, for that is his name, lives here all by himself."

"Beauchamp!" laughs Cecily. "You forget this house was infested with departed creatures when we first moved in "--she turns to Elisabeth--"a proper menagerie."

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Did a taxidermist used to live here?" asks Elisabeth.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:06 pm
by Tabs
"Mr. Harding, Beauchamp's predecessor at the Hospital, was the hunter--in his youth. He"--she whispers--"had a heart attack. Very sudden it was. All of his belongings were here still," and Cecily adds, "The house goes with the job.

"The menagerie is up in the attics."

Mr. Norrin pauses his pouring, decanter in hand, "I didn't know that, Cecily?"

Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, poor Mr. Harding," says Elisabeth. "And it's a shame most of his trophies are put away where nobody sees them. Could we perhaps have a look at them after supper?" She knows that Posie will be delighted to see more stuffed animals judging from her reaction to the bear.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:33 am
by aine
Santiago eats heartily. "I too would be interested to see the menagerie, it's always interesting to see the different species that exist in a new country. I'm hoping to do some hunting here in China at some stage; it'll be helpful to know what to look out for." Once Mr Norris has finished pouring, Santiago takes his glass and smells the wine; it seems promising, "To our generous hosts!" He raises his glass.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hear, hear!" cheers Elisabeth, raising her own glass and clinking it with Santiago's.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:04 am
by Tabs

"Thank you, sir," and to Elisabeth, "madam. Ah---" he says, beaming happily as the roast is served.

"When I have no calls to make or visitors, I often go up to the attic and sit amongst the animals--soothing," and Cecily adds, "--Spirit of the Beehive, and all that."

"But their life has long gone, dearest," says Mr. Norrin, seemingly a little put out--possibly by the implication that his wife is bored and their marriage is not as perfect as he would like his guests to perceive.

"Oh, Beechy," sighs Cecily. "Red currant jelly?" she asks, offering the condiment to her husband. She says, "Of course I would be delighted to show you all the menagerie after dinner."

"Goodie!" exclaims Posie.

"Ahem,"--Mr. Norrin clears his throat, "Argentina, sir? . . ."

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

With the focus of the conversation now on Santiago, Elisabeth takes advantage of the opportunity to tuck into the roast.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:42 am
by aine
Santiago regretfully but politely lowers his fork and casts a wry smile at Elizabeth. "Ah yes, beautiful Argentina. My family, we have a lot of land there and I spent my youth learning to manage the estates. Recently though, some family, er, 'property' was stolen from our castillo during the recent troubles in Spain. So I am tracking it down." He shrugs his shoulders and takes a mouthful. "This is very good!"

Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mmm-hmm," says Elisabeth, nodding and grinning. She cuts herself another piece.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:12 am
by Tabs
The servant walks over to Mr. Norrin, and whispers in his ear. There is a commotion from the hallway. Several soldiers, in Chinese Nationalist uniform and armed with carbines, march into the dining room. The soldiers part to allow a civillian, wearing a white fedora and suit, to approach the table.

"These two," he means Elisabeth and Santiago, "are wanted by the Bureau of Chinese National Military Council for arson and murder!"

"Whaaat!" cries a stunned Mr. Norrin, Cecily drops her cutlery, which clatter on to her plate.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"What?!" gasps Elisabeth at the same time as Mr. Norrin, equally surprised. "What in the world are you talking about?"

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:22 am
by aine

Santiago does his best to look furious rather than dismayed, "I don't care who you think we are, you have no business bursting into an important official's personal home and accusing his guests of something totally unbelievable without substantiation. What is your name and rank, Sir?" He stands up, looms over the civilian and scowls fiercely at the soldiers.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:06 pm
by Tabs

"My name is Wang of the Bureau," he replies, taking a step backwards so that he stands behind Cecily. He draws a pistol, and although he doesn't point it at her, there is a palpable threat to Mrs. Norrin. His eyes slide over to Posie and he pauses, obviously wondering about her and trying to remember something. . . .

A female servant approaches from the shadows.

"Mrs. Norrin," says Mingzhu, "shall I take your daughter upstairs to the night nursery?” A bewildered, beetroot coloured Mr. Norrin, his jaw working, stares between his wife, Posie, Mingzhu and Elisabeth.

“Yes,” says Cecily meekly, stealing a glance with Elisabeth, “yes, thank you.”

Wang snaps his attention away from the child. He gabbles in Chinese, two soldiers, each holding handcuffs, approach Santiago and Elisabeth.

“No tricks,” he slurs, wagging a finger and cocking his pistol.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"No tricks," says Elisabeth, rising slowly to her full five foot four so that it's apparent that she's not a threat, yet still standing proud and determined. Thinking quickly, she sees the way out of this mess. This sort of thing is her forte, and she speaks with confidence. "We haven't done any such thing, but you can't arrest us anyway because of diplomatic immunity. I presume you know who I am - unless this is a case of mistaken identity, in which case there's even more reason to release us. You are aware that my father, Samuel Grey, is the right hand man to the Right Honorable Sir Alexander Cadogan, Great Britain's Ambassador to China. The immunity he enjoys extends to his family, including myself. If you go through with this, you will cause quite the international incident. Your superior who ordered this arrest will need to find someone to blame for the mess, and that someone will be you, Mr. Wang."

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:26 am
by Tabs
Posie, led by Mingzhu, disappear upstairs.

The toothy man sighs; Santiago recognises him (from last night in the Golden Pumpkin's bar). "Now," he says, "if I were Wang of the Bureau, your words would have the desired effect, Miss Grey, however, I lied, I'm not Wang." He shoots Mr. Norrin, smack in the centre of his forehead. The portly administrator flops forward, his face hits his plate with a thunk, dislodging the roast potatoes on to the tablecloth and splattering gravy everywhere.

"Beechy---" starts his wife in a disbelieving whisper.

"Wang" points the smoking gun at Cecily's head. "Allow my men to put those handcuffs on to you, or the pretty lady is next."

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Shocked and horrified, Elisabeth begins to weep and extends her arms in front of her, lowering her head. Though she knows he will probably kill Cecily regardless so as not to leave a witness to his cold-blooded murder, she realizes that she is powerless to do anything. "I'll come quietly," she says, "but please at least give me a chance to try to save his life first."

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 am
by Tabs
"Huh! the English," spits Wang. "Shǒukào," he orders, and the soldiers snap on the handcuffs.

Elisabeth and Santiago, with a guard apiece, and Wang exit the Norrins' house. There are three remaining soldiers at whom their leader barks, "Qùle!" and they swarm around Cecily.

On the driveway is a patrol wagon. "Inside," he opens the rear doors, "get in."

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:37 am
by aine

Santiago allows his wrists to be handcuffed; this 'Wang' imposter is obviously a cold-blooded murderer who'd easily shoot the rest of the household in the blink of an eye and Santiago doesn't want to jeopardise anyone else. Maybe a chance will come later. He winces as they are led away and hopes beyond hope that "Qule" does not mean 'kill'. He subtly tests his handcuffs for any weakness and curses himself for relaxing his guard.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Still sobbing, Elisabeth climbs into the back of the patrol wagon, stumbling a little as she enters. At least Mingzhu and Posie got out of there first, she thinks.
OOC,Do I understand the Chinese words?

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:40 pm
by Tabs
Elisabeth,The first word was "handcuffs," the second was "Go it!"--presumably the soldiers will do unto Cecily what the Japs did to Nanking a year later.
"You should have killed me when you had the chance!"--

--Officer Toshiro, his head heavily bandaged from Dr. Renwick's blow (on the millet field), greets Santiago and Elisabeth as the doors to the patrol wagon are slammed shut.
The End of Act I