Under the Sign of the Swastika

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Re: Under the Sign of the Swastika

Post by Cearlan »

I look out of a window at the street / steps outside trying not to be offended by johnny foreigner here, I mean after all, it is jolly decent of them to put us up at the drop of a hat and all that. <Harrumph!>
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aww..." says Elisabeth, grinning at the sight of Posie holding the kitten. "Looks like you've found a new friend." She begins to lower the bucket into the well. "What are you reading?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

"Dr. Renwick, Dr. Renwick," calls So, "I believe there has been a misunderstanding--my English, you know--I meant that the Chinese peasant is ignorant."--So's English is just about intelligible.

"It was in the dust, underneath Jeremy." Posie hands over the book to Elisabeth.

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline hangs around, clearly not intent on participating in the cooking.
Mandarin:,Is the governor's administration far from here?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We'd better show that to Ouyang, in case someone lost it," says Elisabeth. "It's in French, which I can't read. Can you? If not, at least it has pictures."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Caroline hangs around, clearly not intent on participating in the cooking.
Mingzhu blows at some straw she lit with a match, and "whump," twigs ignite and a fire burns merrily. She shoots Caroline an expressionless glance.
Ouyang answers Caroline,It is near to the train station. Have I offended you, Dr. Lamarr? If so, I am truly sorry.

Posie struggles mentally, then she says: "Non."

Elisabeth fills the amphorae jug with well water and picks it up; thankfully its not too heavy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, whoever it belongs to will know French," says Elisabeth, hefting the jug. "Perhaps they'll translate it for you when you return it." She leads the way back to the kitchen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Tabs wrote:
"Dr. Renwick, Dr. Renwick," calls So, "I believe there has been a misunderstanding--my English, you know--I meant that the Chinese peasant is ignorant."--So's English is just about intelligible.

When I hear So call out to me I grit my teeth and turn to face him. I am somewhat ashamed at my poor reaction to the gentle Chinaman. Henry speaks Mandarin - 57/30% - poorly

"<Harrumph!> Yes ... well ... perhaps I was too hasty. My nerves are overwrought just now and recent events have left me somewhat shaken. Please So, accept my apologies for taking umbrage at what you said." I bow to the Chinaman and smile apologetically, hoping my Mandarin is not too bad.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline gives Ouyang one of her most disarming smiles.

Mandarin:, Oh, of course not, I am most grateful for your hospitality. I was just thinking about the endless formalities we'd have to face in procuring our paperwork. It find it to be such a nuissance.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Santiago looks up with thanks as Feng hunkers down to help. He has no idea what the fellow says but spits out a feather and grins.
ooc,[quote]"A kitten!" coos the little girl... furry pompons [/quote] Brilliant description!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Thank you, Elisabeth," says Mingzhu taking the jug and filling a pot.

So says to Renwick: "I'm afraid for your Mandarin, it is,"--he thinks, eyes searching--"er, the word, the word,--awful! No?" So adds: "I am to buy wine for our dinner. Would you care to accompany me?--the shop is not far."
Ouyang says to Caroline,"Alas, it is the Chinese way, delay, and more delay--no one will make a decision."
ooc,[quote]furry pompoms[/quote] It's what we call Dexter's whenever he wants his tummy rubbed.
Feng produces a wicked looking knife, and proceeds to gut his chicken. He gestures to Santiago "Shall I do yours?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I smile and look down. "I would consider it a privilege So. And I promise I'll not try Mandarin again. It would be impolite to offend our host's ears after all." I bow deeper than I did before, laugh and genially clap So on the shoulder. "Come So, let us fetch the wine and you can tell me about your organisation. I only know the sketchiest of details."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're welcome, Mingzhu" says Elisabeth. She bows to Ouyang. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but Posie found an adorable kitten and a book in French when we were at the well: Miss Harriet. Do you know if anyone misplaced them?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Santiago shakes his head and reaches for his own hunting knife. Then he remembers how he lost it somewhere in the paddy fields. He shrugs and sheepishly hands over his chicken to Feng, "Any chance you can get me a knife like that? I lost mine recently and feel naked without it." He asks, trying to mime the request too.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

So walks with Renwick. "Education--education is the key to unlock the potential of China. We, the Swastika Society of Chengchow, offer advice on health matters to villagers--basic sanitation, clean drinking water, etc. Is it the same in your country? I mean, do the peasants need educating?"

"Chi-chi!" exclaims Ouyang at the kitten.

"Jeremy," responds Posie firmly.

Ouyang peers at the book.
In Mandarin,"No, I have never seen it before. 'French'--you cannot read these words?"

"Shì ma?" says Feng, from his tone of voice Santiago surmises it to mean "Eh?"

Mingzhu pops her head out the front door. "Are the chickens prepared, Señor el Aguila?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"I completely agree So. I believe that education is vital in order that every person can achieve their potential. In the last thirty years or so, we have been implementing similar plans. Replacing unsanitary conditions, and although we did not have too much in the way of undrinkable water, it seemed to be in the city centres that there was this problem. It is still going on in the Northern cities. where the industrial revolution of the last century hit hardest." I crease my forehead in concentration, trying to remember the history lessons from my school-days.

"I think that what you term peasants do not exist as such in my country, instead we have the tattered remnants of an outdated class system. The term peasants are a throw-back to the feudal times in Great Britain. But call them what you will, the man at the bottom is still no higher up the ladder." I add wryly.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Mandarin,[color=violet]"No, I never did learn French,"[/color] says [b]Elisabeth[/b]. [color=violet]"Is there anyone who does staying here?"[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline laughs.

"We're in the middle of China, happily talking away with the locals and we're unable to read a French book!"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

So listens intently to Renwick, occasionally nodding. " 'The man at the bottom,' " repeats So. "I find that our help is hardly appreciated.

"Here is Mao's Wine Shop. As our guest, would you care to choose?"

~

Ouyang shakes his head at Elisabeth.

"No one speaks French," states Mingzhu to herself. She flourishes a flat-bottomed iron pot like a frying pan: "I nominate Chee Mingzhu as pancake fryer! So, that means batter mix for eleven. "Shame,"--she puts a finger to her mouth, thinking--"twelve would be a propitious number for our supper. Who could it be---"

"Mads Mortenson, the owner of the book,--he can be our twelfth," interrupts Jian as he enters the kitchen.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I look at the labels which give no indication to my mind of what may lie within before I shake my head. "I must plead yet more ignorance friend So, These labels are not easily read by myself, and I would not want to bring shame on the table by making the wrong choice. Please - you know better than I what is good and what is not here." I add as I gesture towards the wine racks.
OOC:   Do I have any money on me? - if so I offer to pay at least something towards the wine.  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”