Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's the spirit, Posie," says Elisabeth, laughing and patting her on the head. "When you're older, you'll just have to marry Prince Edward, and then you'll be Queen one day. Good thing all of his lady friends are already married. That will ensure he stays available."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline looks at Mingzhu with a big smile.

"Perhaps those gentleman have yet to realise their luck. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll warm up once they've gotten used to the fact that two women are showing them around."

She laughs and then takes back the flask, screwing its cap on tight before tucking it in her bag.

"I'm sorry, your Grace, but royalty shouldn't drink until they're a bit older."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"So, Caroline," asks Elisabeth, "why did you decide to become an archaeologist?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Humanity has mastered the sky and land, but the only true challenge lies underground."

Her eyes alight when she speaks, her voice full of passion.

"There is so much we don't know about our own past, and it's all right underneath our noses, lost civilisation upon lost civilisation, isn't it a wonderful thought that we are literally standing on the shoulders of giants. Every human accomplishment, every breath of joy, every work of art, everything humanity has ever done is buried underneath our feet. The ultimate puzzle, the ultimate question, where did we come from? And the answers is out there, for the taking! If only we know where to look..."

She smiles as she pauses for breath.

"It is only when we know where we came from that we can understand where we are going, Elisabeth, and I plan to understand it all."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, I'm ever so keen on history!" says Elisabeth, sharing in Caroline's excitement. "There's so much we can learn from it. Some of the same things happen time and time again, and most people don't learn the lessons of the past and end up repeating the same mistakes. It was Solomon who wrote that there is nothing new under the sun - and that was three thousand years ago! We may have aeroplanes and motorcars nowadays, but people are still much the same."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline tenderly looks at Elisabeth and rests a hand on her.

"And right you are, Elisabeth, humanity has always lived, laughed and loved. ", she leaves a silence after the last word, looking into the young Englishwoman's eyes before continuing.

"And we have always looked to the skies, trying to explain the mystery of Creation. To some many gods made many things, to others just one. With this reverence came a material culture and it is from that material culture,these idols and altars, that I try to trace back the roots of our origins. "
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Caroline said: "I'm sorry, your Grace, but royalty shouldn't drink until they're a bit older."
Posie performs a delightful, most regal, curtsey.

Mingzhu listens to Elisabeth and Caroline with her palm supporting her chin, in rapt attention.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, they can't all be right," says Elisabeth, looking back in Caroline's eyes. "There are many conflicting accounts of our origin, but it only happened one way. Although there are elements common to all cultures throughout the world. All of them have an account of a Great Flood, no matter where in the world they are. In fact, the Chinese symbol for the number eight is a reference to the ark, which carried eight people. And eight has always represented prosperity and good fortune in Chinese culture."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

The door to the compartment opens and Santiago steps through. He sits back down next to Elizabeth and smiles at her. "That's enough fresh air for me; it's made me feel sleepy but then we didn't get much sleep last night. Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation," He looks at Caroline, "Please, continue, do not mind me." He leans back and closes his eyes.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"It must be dinner-time, I'm starvin'," complains Posie.

[ooc: Time is a half past one.]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisbaeth grins back and squeezes Santiago's hand. "Yes, it has been a while since breakfast," she says. "Shall we go see what they're serving in the dining car?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Dr. Renwick, his manner a little stiff since his return to the compartment, looks toward Caroline, seems to make up his mind about her, brightens, and says: "I must confess that like Posie, 'I'm starvin',' too."

Along the corridor walks a harassed looking steward, tea-towel draped over one arm.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Pardon me," Elisabeth says to the steward. "I'm sorry to disturb you, but we're all famished. Is lunch being served?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline smiles as the two men arrive.

"We were discussing religion, a topic best left behind if we don't want to ruin the appetites of the more sensitive stomachs."

Her smile widens and she gives the doctor a devious wink.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Her smile widens and she gives the doctor a devious wink.
Dr. Renwick clears his throat and looks glum, once again.

The steward stops. "Nǐ xiǎng yào shénme?"

Mingzhu promptly steps in, she barks in rapid Chinese and then continues in an even tone; the steward smiles weakly and replies subserviently. "There is no lunch," translates Mingzhu, "only Green tea. The man says we can buy peanuts and whatever else is sold at the next stop, which will not be for another two hours."

Posie holds her tummy and groans.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago's ears prick up at the sound of lunch and he opens his eyes. As there's only green tea he says, "Did we bring any food supplies with us besides that wine? Although it will be in the baggage car. Or I can take you along to the next car, Posie, and see if any of those business men have any food."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would still like some Green tea, please," says Elisabeth. "It's a lot better than leaving my stomach empty."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The steward produces a spirit stove and, crouching on the carriage floor, proceeds to boil water which he poured from a porcelain flask.

Mingzhu remarks: "One has to be firm with these people. 'Face' is so important to the Chinese; Western kindness would only have earned the steward's contempt."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I don't think green tea and peanuts will last us the day. How about we look for something more substantial, Henry?" Santiago gets up and ruffles Posie's hair. "You never know what we might find. Elizabeth, we won't be long." He smiles at her and then nods to Caroline. He steps around the steward and his tiny stove, "Coming Henry?" and leaves the compartment.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Cearlan »

I lean my head back and groan inwardly, both at the thought of green tea with nothing to disguise the awful taste (and when there will be something it will only be stale peanuts, over two hours away), and the concept of being less 'formal' with Caroline just grates - even for a short while. 'But one must do one's duty I suppose.' I think to myself. I gesture to the woman at the end of the seat.

"Yes, pray continue ... I believe I heard you saying something about religion? could you enlighten us on what sort of things we mmay encounter in China's interior. For my own part I was only ever at ... at Zhoukoudian."

At Santiago's offer he all but leaps out of his seat like a gazelle and says "Of course old chap! Let us see what we may rustle up."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”