Page 1 of 1

ooc

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:29 pm
by Tabs

Thanks, Syrinx. I like the intro. as well.

Re: ooc

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Let the rat race begin. The wheel is spinning!

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:50 pm
by Tabs
The first ic topic is "Dr. Chee's Meet and Greet." For this scene the characters are waiting in line to enter the station restaurant; therefore, post one at a time, observing the following sequence: Dr. Chee greets, one character replies, Dr. Chee replies, and so on. [Slow, I know, but trust me, it's necessary.] Also, characters do not know each other, except, maybe, by sight. Decide if you are accompanied by a partner, friend or colleague, and include them as you see fit. Altogether, there are about twenty well wishers on the station platform. Confused? All should become clear after you read "Dr. Chee's Meet and Greet."

You do not have to include your photograph in each of your posts, however, occasional use of your photograph will help all of us remember who is who.

If you want to make a skill check, for example: Fatman Sumo San wishes to Fast Talk a waitress into fetching another bowl of chicken wings, he can roll against, say, 45%--so in the game proper, Fatman Sumo San's Fast Talk is 45%. Any HP or Sanity loss will be dealt with at the end of the prologue--the prologue will include a few ic topics.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:40 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sweet~! We're up and running eh? OK I'll meet and greet right away.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 am
by Tabs

Arashi Akiyama--superb photograph!

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:27 pm
by Tabs
The Golden Pumpkin restaurant is now open.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:46 am
by Tabs
Hi, I'm taking a few days out from the game, be back on the weekend. Everyone has created some truly interesting characters, which in turn inspire me to create added atmosphere with the NPCs.

My wife read our posts the other day, and commented that "you can barely tell there's different people writing the story"--which I think is a compliment to us all.

Prologue is nearly over.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 pm
by aine
The tides of Yule are rising so my posts may be rather patchy for the next week; but hopefully not.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:11 pm
by Tabs
Same here. I've got a lot going on and I want to take my time to enjoy the game.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Alas ladies and gentlemen. deProrok is not getting on the train for the rest of the ride,
The ticket has expired.

Sorry about the bad behavior.

All the best!
/Dave

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
There isn't a thread for character creation. Should we post our characters here?

I've made my rolls: Character creation rolls (STR, CON, POW, DEX, APP, SIZ, INT, EDU) (3d6=10, 3d6=5, 3d6=9, 3d6=13, 3d6=8, 2d6+6=17, 2d6+6=11, 3d6+3=15)

Are we free to rearrange our stats? I'd like to exchange the various stats rolled on 3d6, and to swap SIZ with INT.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:41 am
by Tabs
"Characters" topic now posted. Yes, feel free to rearrange your stats. Also, add an extra 20% to skills as an end of chapter bonus.

I was thinking of not bothering with SAN checks; is everyone happy about that?

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
That's okay with me if you want to play it like that. I know my POW is going to be on the low side anyway. But I don't mind going crazy, either.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:00 am
by Cearlan
I have tried 5 times to use invisible castle's stat rolling facility, but must be doing something wrong as it keeps coming up as an error would you accept these rolls (done manually - as rolled)
3d6 x 5;- 13; 16; 11; 9; 12
2d6+6 x 2;- 16; 13
3d6+3; 18

If I could rearrange them it might look similar to this
Str;- 3d6;- 13
Con;- 3d6;- 12
Siz;- 2d6+6;- 13
Dex;- 3d6;- 16
App;- 3d6;- 9
Int;- 2d6+6;- 16
Pow;- 3d6;- 11
Edu;- 3d6+3;- 18

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy wrote:That's okay with me if you want to play it like that. I know my POW is going to be on the low side anyway. But I don't mind going crazy, either.
Sorry, to clarify, I meant no SAN checks for the Introduction. Lizzie's POW is low . . .--I don't want her going crazy too soon. :)

Her Skills compliment her well.
Envoy Extraordinary
--I love these words/job/title, so evocotive.
Str;- 3d6;- 13
Con;- 3d6;- 12
Siz;- 2d6+6;- 13
Dex;- 3d6;- 16
App;- 3d6;- 9
Int;- 2d6+6;- 16
Pow;- 3d6;- 11
Edu;- 3d6+3;- 18
Yes, I'll accept these rolls.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:That's okay with me if you want to play it like that. I know my POW is going to be on the low side anyway. But I don't mind going crazy, either.
Sorry, to clarify, I meant no SAN checks for the Introduction. Lizzie's POW is low . . .--I don't want her going crazy too soon. :)
Oh, okay. That makes more sense.
Tabs wrote:Her Skills compliment her well.
Thanks! I chose them with her style in mind, and luckily I had a lot of skill points.
Tabs wrote:
Envoy Extraordinary
--I love these words/job/title, so evocotive.
The British originally used that title in the 1790s, only changing the name to Ambassador in June 1935. Cadogan held that post during the name change, and he's a very interesting historical figure. He had a prominent role in the years before, during, and after World War Two. Since he's an ardent opponent of appeasement and an early supporter of Churchill, Elisabeth would definitely admire him.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 am
by Tabs
OOC?,Due to his involvement in the great war I put 10% each into handgun and rifle, as I felt this would reflect his training and experiences in the conflict. If you disagree I can reallocate it elsewhere. Points taken from occupation skills. ;)
I agree; in fact, considering his army experience, I'd increase these % by robbing from elsewhere--but that is down to you.

A Geordie who killed his own brother--no wonder Dr. Renwick was banished. :)

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 pm
by Cearlan
Tabs wrote: I agree; in fact, considering his army experience, I'd increase these % by robbing from elsewhere--but that is down to you.
Good shout ... I reckon that a qualified Doctor would be trained more in handgun than rifle so I'll increase that a bit.
Tabs wrote: A Geordie who killed his own brother--no wonder Dr. Renwick was banished. :)
Got to do something with them thar varmits :roll:

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am
by Tabs
aine wrote: Background: Born Madrid 1896 . . .
Santiago's story would make a good adventure book.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:58 pm
by Tabs
Thanks Mr. Handy for setting up the Archive.

Don't forget that your characters gain +20% Skill bonus as an end of Introduction bonus.

Tomorrow I'll start "Ozu's Mill" topic.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll be leaving for a convention on Thursday afternoon and won't be back until Sunday night, though I might not be able to catch up and post until the following night.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:50 pm
by Tabs
Okay. Board games or Star Trek?

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
Board games, but also roleplaying games (live action and tabletop), including several Call of Cthulhu games.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am
by Tabs
I did live action roleplaying once, years ago, it was D&D, and I played a zombie and then a goblin! I presume you could be "larping" as an investigator in CoC?

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Yep, I'm signed up for four Call of Cthulhu LARPs, as well as four tabletop CoC games and a couple of board games. I've also played in some Firefly LARPs at these conventions, but they didn't have any this time.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:20 pm
by Tabs
Actually, the CoC LARP does sound cool, like a murder mystery dinner.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hey Handy,

You ever try that CoC LARP game at the convention you were talking about above. I'd love to hear about it. What was it like? How does a CoC LARP work. Did everyone go insane? lol

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
I played in all four CoC LARPs there, and they were fun. The best one was set in Mayberry with characters from The Andy Griffith Show and "guest stars" from other shows from the same era. I played Barney Fife, a centuries-old zombie in service to Nyarlathotep (AKA Andy Taylor). Not everyone went insane in these, at least not completely. I don't have time to describe them in detail tonight, but I should be able to during the weekend. They used the Cthulhu Live 3rd edition rules (which I helped playtest at another convention back in 2005).

Martial Arts is used in conjunction with unarmed combat attack skills (Fist/Punch, Grapple, Head Butt, or Kick). You roll against the chosen attack skill to hit as normal. If you roll higher than your skill, you miss. If you roll less than or equal to your skill but higher than your Martial Arts skill, you hit as normal. However, if you roll less than or equal to both skills, you roll double your damage dice (but not double the damage bonus). For instance, a character with a +1d4 damage bonus who succeeds at both skills with the attack roll will do 2d3+1d4 damage for a punch or 2d6+1d4 damage with a kick. The other benefit of Martial Arts is you do not need to declare who you are parrying at the start of the round. Instead, you can wait to decide who to parry until someone rolls a successful hit against you. To parry a weapon while unarmed, you would have to roll Grapple to grab the enemy's arm (you do not need Martial Arts to do this). If you make two successful Grapple rolls, you disarm your opponent and take the weapon.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm
by Cearlan
Henry "Grasshopper" Renwick MD :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Only one roll is made to attack. The same roll is compared to Martial Arts and your attack skill, rather than making a separate roll for each.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:02 am
by Tabs
The melee in the mill has got a little confused. Cearlan's rolls were superb, so they stand and I'll rule that the Doctor does as stated; however, DSIGFUSS needed 25% or less for Tatsuo to Grapple (parry) the bayonet, which he didn't do . . .

Mr. Handy, you're the rules expert. Regarding Tatsuo's Martial Arts skill, it s/be equal to or less than his unarmed combat attack skills (Fist/Punch, Grapple, Head Butt, or Kick)? Therefore DSIGFUSS needs to reallocate Tatsuo's skill points.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
The Grapple rolls for Dr. Renwick were done absolutely correctly. I was just pointing out that Tatsuo only needed to make one attack and one parry roll. Martial Arts and the attack skill are both checked against a single roll.

Yes, it makes no sense to have Martial Arts skill at a higher level than your highest unarmed attack skill. It also makes no sense for a sumo wrestler to have only the base skill in Grapple. If you take 33 points out of Martial Arts and put them into Grapple, you could have both skils at 58%.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:54 am
by Tabs
DSIGFUSS didn't understand the Martial Arts skill, but neither did I! :) If Tatsuo's Grapple skill is 64% or higher he parried the bayonet. Okay, DSIGFUSS allocated 90 points to Martial Arts skill, if you split equally: Grapple 70% and Martial Arts 46%. . . ?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:28 pm
by Cearlan
I have to say that the grapple skill has foxed many a keeper's mind, let alone players who may not be as experienced. I reckon that there are a lot of keeper's that still don't know how to use it correctly. And when you figure Martial Arts into the equation as well it becomes even murkier. I have played CoC since second edition, (early to mid 80's), and if there are two rules that I have to keep referring to, even now, then they are Grapple and Martial Arts.

I think the way the rules are explained could be better handled in the rulebook, possibly with examples showing how it can and cannot be used. But then this eats into word counts and other such production issues so Chaosium have to strike some sort of balance I suppose between over-explaining and keeping the costs down. Without derailing this into a discussion on edition wars, it is possible that the seventh edition, replacing all unarmed fighting skills with one skill may help make understanding and implementation easier

Back on track though - cracking game that I am really enjoying - it seems a pity that the good Dr may not last too much longer though, but them's the breaks.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:13 am
by Tabs
Thanks, Cearlan.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK so I totally screwed up making Tatsuo. I thought that martial art covered it cuz it started at 1% and I had to sink so many skill points into it.

I will go back in and tweak him soon. But before I do I'd like some clarification please guys. So do I need to make my punch kick and headbutt higher to even use my martial arts? I'll raise my grapple too but this will involve raising my education to get some more skill points/ reflecting his martial arts training.

Maybe I should think about what it means to be a sumo wrestler and only raise punch and grapple leaving head butt and kick where they are. Any thoughts?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:25 am
by Cearlan
I don't think you screwed up so much as it is not explained very clearly as I said earlier. The first two sentences in the skill description says

"Use in combination with an attack with fist / punch (etc). If the attack roll is equal to or less than the attackers martial arts %, that attack does double damage."

Let us say for example that your fist skill is 40% and MA skill is 60%; if you roll a 55 then you have missed, yet still have under your MA skill, so it would make sense to have them the other way round so you would do your normal 1D3 plus db. If you rolled under your 40%, then you'd get 2D3 plus db.

I think for the sake of brevity I'd try and keep Tatsuo's scores fairly close together if you plan on doing a lot of hand to hand fighting. YMMV of course, but this is the way I understand it to be

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy
You can always use Martial Arts. Having Martial Arts higher than your highest unarmed attack skill gives no additional benefit, but it still benefits you if you have some of your unarmed attack skills lower. Fist/Punch always has a minimum of 50%, so if your Martial Arts skill is higher than that, you still hit on a roll of 50 or less, and every hit would do 2d3+db damage. You may of course choose to raise those other skills while you're reshuffling points.

Even having a small amount of skill in Martial Arts is useful. Sarah Carpenter in Ash has it at 25%, so she does 2d6 damage with every kick that connects - it just doesn't happen that often, as she doesn't have points in her unarmed attack skills. With a punch, she'll sometimes do 2d3 and sometimes 1d3.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:01 am
by Tabs
So do I need to make my punch kick and headbutt higher to even use my martial arts? I'll raise my grapple too but this will involve raising my education to get some more skill points/ reflecting his martial arts training.
No, but a character must succeed at unarmed combat first, and then, the same roll is compared to Martial Arts skill. Therefore, Martial Arts s/be no higher than the highest % in unarmed combat.

Personally, I think Grapple is the perfect skill for a sumo and Martial Arts is a bonus for good rolls.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm
by Cearlan
I am going to be tied up until thursday, maybe friday so will probably not be able to post again till then.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 am
by DSIGFUSS
Thanks for the explanation guys and I totally agree Tabs. (about the grapple). I'll send you a pm with my updated skills and that will be the end of it.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:48 am
by DSIGFUSS
Posted changes. Please check them to see if they are ok?

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 am
by Tabs
The Sea Slug lives! I mean, okay with the changes.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 pm
by aine
I will be posting up until the 8th of May and then I'll be away until the beginning of June. I'm cycling a long version of John O'Groats to Lands End and living in a tent so I'll have no access to the interweb. Please could you NPC Santiago until I'm back and I'll look forward to catching up on his exploits when I get back. Alternatively he could disappear for some reason.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 pm
by Tabs
Cycling for charity?

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:36 am
by aine
Not officially. It's non organised non supported and non scheduled; just two of us on 1980's bikes, a small tent and a rough idea. It'll be a scenic, minor road version. Just hope most of the snow has melted in Scotland!

Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am
by Tabs
1980's bikes
Cycling 500 miles on a BMX !

I fancy a rest from the game, so I'm gonna leave it 'til June.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 pm
by aine
Tabs wrote: Did you stop at a pub with internet connection?
Ha. Batteries were the big problem; only went to pubs for a quick pint. Had a great ride and can thoroughly recommend 'Brave Soldier' chamois cream. Looking forward to some seated time at the computer and sleeping in a proper bed.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:15 am
by DSIGFUSS
Hey guys..

Sorry about the low post count recently. I went on vacation to the Yukon and forgot to post I was doing so. I 'm back now and my raspberry season is starting like fricking gang busters.. I'll post as often as I can but please NPC Tatsuo and Arashi if I don't post for extended periods.

thanks and great game so far!!

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away on vacation through the 29th, and again from the afternoon of July 3rd through the 7th, so I probably won't be able to post during those times.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:46 pm
by Tabs
Okay and thanks for letting me know.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 am
by aine
Tabs - I love the cheeky picture of Mae in the bath, what a great find!

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:29 pm
by Tabs
I found the photo when trawling "Chinese movie stars of the '30s." for character photos. Apparently she was the first nude to appear on Chinese cinema :!:

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:06 pm
by Tabs
Taking a few days beside the seaside, back next week.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:30 am
by Cearlan
Sorry I been away without notice for a few days. We've had major problems with leaks in our roof which got into the electrics. Hopefully all sorted now though.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 am
by Tabs
No probs.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:39 pm
by aine
Elisabeth. "I don't understand this, but it was more than just a dream. If it were the feverish imaginings of my own mind, how could I possibly hear of a town which I have no knowledge of?
That's what I wondered when I recently dreamt I met a goth who called himself Euronymous, which I'd never heard of and thought might be something Greek. Until I googled it. :o

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 pm
by Tabs
Re. Tatsuo: I'm all for returning him to Osaka. Will DSIGFUSS return? Also, there are lots of interesting characters for you to meet . . . what do you all think? And, where is Cearlan?

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 pm
by aine
Re: Tatsao. Okydokes, he's a bit large to hide on this next stage of the journey anyway but I'll enjoy having him back (somehow) from Osaka if DSIGFUSS returns.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 pm
by Cearlan
Sorry Tabs and everyone else - been tied up with my partner's daughter's wedding so been absent without leave but am back now and raring to go!

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy
Elisabeth's First Aid skill does not increase.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:06 pm
by Cearlan
Skill Rolls for Dr Henry Renwick - in alphabetical order - First Aid (75%) - Fail; Grapple (25%) - Success; Listen (25%) - Success; Medicine (45%) - Fail; Speak Mandarin (26%) - Success and Spot Hidden (45%) - Fail.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4244971/

Again in alphabetical order, the increases are - Grapple (+9%), Listen (+7%) and Speak Mandarin (+4%).

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4244981/

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 am
by Tabs
The next chapter, starting with "Peking-Hankow Express," will start on Friday 11th.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:46 pm
by aine
Experience checks for Santiago. First Aid 30 Grapple 25 Listen 55 Punch 50** Rifle 65 Sneak 30 Spot Hidden 65 Throw 25

1d100=49, 1d100=23, 1d100=43, 1d100=23, 1d100=69, 1d100=71, 1d100=73, 1d100=19
1d10=6, 1d10=9, 1d10=9, 1d10=2

First Aid now 36: Rifle now 74: Sneak now 39: Spot Hidden now 67

**Santiago twice successfully clubbed a soldier with his rifle butt. As there is no club skill - shall I use punch?

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
There are two club skills: Small Club and Large Club. Both have a base of 25%. Using a rifle as a club would probably fall under Large Club. However, the roll is still too low.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:42 pm
by aine
Aha, thank you. I've got 5th Ed rules and there's no clubbing of any sort. Not even a disco.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Disco is not dead which can eternal lie.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away at conventions October 31-November 3 and November 8-10, so I probably won't be able to post then. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to post between them, as I work during the week and will have little time to catch up, though I am off November 11.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:42 am
by Tabs
Okay, thanks.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:37 am
by Cearlan
So sorry that we have been away from playing for so long, but we are back now and raring to go on all fronts. Thanks for your patience guys.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:58 am
by DrPeterson
I'll be gone till Monday.
Feel free to npc my character should the need arise.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:17 pm
by Tabs
No probs. Mr. Handy is away as well.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy
I played my first game of Eldritch Horror this afternoon, and it was a blast! I'll put my account of it in a spoiler button in case you don't want to be spoiled about the sorts of things that could happen in a game, but it's very different every time.
Eldritch Horror,I played as Leo Anderson, the Expedition Leader, and I was up against Cthulhu. I started in Buenos Aires with HIred Muscle. A Gate opened in Rome, and a Cultist spawned there. The Active Expedition was in the Amazon, which was luckily right next door. A Clue token appeared in the Australian outback. The initial mystery I faced was that Cthulhu's daughter Cthylla surfaced in the sea between Buenos Aires and Antarctica. Even though she was only one space away, I didn't see how I could defeat her, but I had to do it in order to advance to the next mystery. The first thing I did was try to Acquire Assets. On offer in the Reserve were a .38 revolver (cheap), a double-barrelled shotgun (very expensive), a card that would heal all Health and Sanity (didn't need it yet), and an Agency Quarantine (also very expensive). This last card deals 4 damage to all monsters on a given space. I was lucky enough to roll boxcars on my Influence roll, and with the help of a Bank Loan I was barely able to get it. It did enough damage to take out Cthylla, who would have been hard to beat in a fight even with the shotgun - not to mention that it would have taken me extra travel time and I'd have lost Sanity and possibly Health in the process. This way, I took her out and cleared the mystery on the first turn (lucky I did, or she'd have sent Deep Ones after me periodically)! Actually, i was only halfway done the first turn, as I still had my second action, so I went to the Amazon. I encountered the expedition and found an Artifact, a Gate Box. I never ended up using it, as I didn't get around to encountering any Gates and exploring Other Worlds. I also picked up a Clue. In the Mythos phase, another Gate opened in San Francisco and a Ghoul emerged. No sooner had I taken out the loan than someone came after me to collect, but he didn't want money - he was after my very soul! Fortunately, I was able to withstand him (my bonus die for being in the wilderness helped there) There was an earthquake that destroyed the Active Expedition (currently the Pyramids) and injured anyone in or next to that space. It would have been the Amazon had I not encountered that expedition. The next mystery was also revealed. The stars were now right, and Cthulhu's worshippers began to take to the seas and gather, anticipating his return. The Clue in Australia moved into the South Pacific between Sydney and Buenos Aires, and all I needed to do to complete that mystery was to get a Clue from a research encounter there. I returned to Buenos Aires and went shopping, but I flubbed my Influence roll and got nothing. I discarded the healing Asset card, which was replaced by a helpful Ally, the Arcane Scholar. I encountered some Deep Ones performing a ritual, but I failed my Lore roll and wasn't able to learn a spell; I just lost some Sanity instead. However, the Mythos card helped me out, and I was able to get that Sanity right back. It also opened a Gate in London, and a Gnoph-Keh entered the world and made its way to the Himalayas. On the third turn, I went shopping again and picked up the Lucky Rabbit's Foot, which was replaced by a Personal Assistant. Then I set out to sea to search for the Clue. A Deep One surfaced and attacked. I lost a Sanity, but I was able to defeat it easily and picked up that Clue (which I used to solve the mystery) and an extra one. The next Mythos card was a Rumor, which spawned the Spinner of Webs in Greenland. Eventually it would cause me to lose the game if I didn't defeat it first, but I was confident I'd be able to win before that happened, as I'd now solved two of the required three mysteries in three turns. A Clue also appeared at the Pyramids. The third mystery was that R'lyeh rose from the sea - exactly in my current location! I needed to explore the island and get an Eldritch token from the special encounters there to win. On the fourth turn, I spent one action to use my special ability to try to recruit an Ally, but I failed the Influence roll. Then I rested to recover my Sanity. I failed the Lore roll in my R'lyeh encounter, and the Doom track advanced, but it still had quite a way to go before Cthulhu awoke. The Mythos card was another Rumor, this one in the North Atlantic. I could have dealt with it, but I was right where I needed to be to win the game. On the fifth turn, I tried to recruit again, and this time I succeeded. I chose the Arcane Scholar, as I had a feeling I'd need Lore, and I was right. A Witch Doctor replaced him in the Reserve. I passed on the second action, as there was nothing else I could do on that spot. My next R'lyeh encounter required a hard Will roll first, which I passed. Then there was a hard Lore roll, which I passed with the help of my Arcane Scholar. The Mythos card and active Rumors had some effects before the game officially ended, but I had won handily. I'd figured out how to send R'lyeh back to the bottom of the sea, returning Cthulhu to his slumber...until the next time the stars come right! It was a great game, and I haven't even seen most of it yet. I spent all of my time on only three spaces (and half of it on a single space), and I'd won in just five turns, which was quick, but I was lucky. The special decks for each Ancient One ensure that the core encounters remain thematic, and that the game plays differently for each of them. I'd like to play again, but I do have a pile of other games I haven't even tried once yet that I'd like to play first before I give it another go.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:49 pm
by DrPeterson
Thanks for the review, Mr. H!

How does it compare to Arkham Horror? I'm seeing a lot of parallel technical terms there, is it different enough or is the same game on a different board?

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:49 pm
by Tabs
I googled Vilma Banky and found lots of great photos. I like this one:

Which board other games did you get?--I guess you visited a game convention the other week? I haven't read about your first game of EH yet, so no comments at the moment. Unfortunately I didn't receive my copy this weekend. :(

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Nice picture!

I went to two conventions on consecutive weekends. At the first one I picked up Friday (a quick solo game, tried it once so far but didn't win), the Firefly board game (played it twice so far and won both times, lots of fun!), and the new Pandemic expansion, On the Brink. At the second convention I bought Yggdrasil, which I played once before a few years ago. In the last six weeks I've also gotten several other new games. Four of them I had backed on Kickstarter, and I haven't had time to play any of them yet (Dark Darker Darkest, Zombicide, Freedom: The Underground Railroad Game, and 12 Realms). I also got a bunch that I ordered through CoolStuffInc, which gives normal discounts of about 33% off of everything and has daily deals and a Black Friday sale with even steeper discounts, not to mention free shipping for orders of $100 or more - and I never have any problem finding enough games to buy. I haven't had enough time to try any of them yet except for Eldritch Horror. I got both expansions for Fortune and Glory (Rise of the Crimson Hand and Treasure Hunters), the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game with the character add-on and second adventure set expansions, The Hobbit (the one designed by Reiner Knizia), and Awakening the Bear. This last one is a WWII game set on the Russian Front in 1941-2. I had thought it had solo rules, but the solo expansion is actually not available yet and won't be until February, so I'll have to wait to play that one anyway. And now I'm tempted to buy A World at War, which is a monster of a WWII game with over 2800 counters that normally sells for $200. CoolStuffInc has it on sale for less than $100 right now, and there's another little game on sale there I want that will push it high enough to get free shipping.

Eldritch Horror does have themes, elements, and mechanics in common with Arkham Horror, but it is very much its own game and well worth getting. I'm sorry to hear that yours hasn't arrived yet, and I hope you get it soon.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:52 am
by Tabs
I've got Friday, probably the last game I bought before EH, but I haven't played it! Zombicide and Dark etc. have cool minis, I was tempted to get these games because of them . . . no, no, my will is good--I've decided to cut down on board games, and have had a clear out; however one game that does sound very interesting to me is Robinson Crusoe. . . . Have you tried Space Hulk Death Angel card game?--it's a good solo game.

Edit: Re. your game of Eldritch Horror, it sounds like what I want AH to be more like, namely more theme and less bookkeeping.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that's a pretty good description of Eldirtch Horror.

Robinson Crusoe does sound cool. I did buy Space Hulk Death Angel last year and played it several times. It was fun and very challenging; it took me a bunch of attempts before I finally won once!

I need to cut back on board games too. I ended up not buying A World At War, but only because I wanted to wait until I'd had some sleep before making a decision. It fell off the sale somehow, though other items that were up there yesterday remain there. So did Dungeon Roll, the other game that interested me. Now AWAW is back up to its regular discount price of $130, a good deal more than the $95 it had been. I'll wait on it, and if it ever goes on sale again I'll probably pick it up. Still, I have enough games now, plus there are quite a few I've backed on Kickstarter that should deliver in the next year or so.

I played the tutorial mission of Zombicide, which was pretty easy, but it's supposed to be. It was still fun. The regular missions look very hard indeed, and it's hard to see how they're winnable. It looks like the zombies will spawn faster than you can kill them. I also played a game of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, half last night and half today. It's fun too, and well designed, as I expect from Reiner Knizia. You need to carefully manage your resources to get you through each board. This game has two of them, and there will be expansions with additional boards based on the next two Hobbit movies that allow you to continue. I intend to play 12 Realms next, as it's a short game, but I won't have time until next weekend. I need to catch up on reading the games on this site that I'm not playing. I had finally caught up on October 30, right before I left for my first convention, and I was never able to find time to do all the back reading since then.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:00 pm
by Tabs
All the gaming you do: I still don't know how you manage it!

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:08 pm
by DrPeterson
Since most of my Keepers visit this place, I'm posting it here. I'll be out of town for the next three days and won't be able to catch up actively till thursday at best and monday at worst. Feel free to NPC my characters.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote:All the gaming you do: I still don't know how you manage it!
I don't know how I manage it either, but part of the answer is that I don't really. I don't have a whole lot of time to play games, and I wouldn't have been able to play so much if I hadn't had four days (and part of a fifth) off from work in a row. I played only three board games in those days, and they were all quick ones. Eldritch Horror isn't normally such a short game, but I managed to win very quickly. The Zombicide tutorial is short, though the regular missions are a lot longer. The Hobbit is also a quick game.

I have a backlog of games I have yet to play even once. In addition to the board games, I have literally hundreds of video games I haven't had time to try yet.

I did manage to catch up on Leagues of Adventure and Dance in the Blood, but I'm still over a month behind in reading The Haunting.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:39 am
by Tabs
Thanks, DrPeterson. The other topic needs to speed up anyway, so Monday will be fine.

Elisabeth and Caroline are roleplaying very nicely--it's a good read.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 am
by DrPeterson
It's fun to play too.
Mr. Handy and I have some experience in sharing trains :p

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, I'm enjoying it too.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 pm
by Tabs
Yesterday I played as Lily Chen in Eldritch Horror. She only solved one mystery vs. Azathoth before being devoured--I chose to take a Dark Pact condition rather than advance the Doom track, but drew a "Dark something or other" Mythos card which said all rolls are a "1," thus the condition card was flipped, spelling Lily's demise.

Anyway, it was the most fun soloing I've had!

Combat is as complex as AH, which felt a bit odd, I thought, because the other rules are elegant.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:20 pm
by Mr. Handy
Combat is often the most complicated part of any game, but at least the combat system is consistent with the rest of the skill system, and there isn't too much additional dice rolling. It is a great game, and it sounds like you had a blast! It might be a good idea to think twice before making pacts with dark forces, I guess. :shock:

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:09 pm
by Cearlan
Merry Christmas to all. If not of a Christian outlook, then have a great time over the festive period and go easy at New Year - don't want no mishaps now. Either way I hope that Santa is good and that 2014 brings you whatever it is you want most.

I will probably be taking a break from playing over the Christmas period due to family commitments, but may post if I manage to get the time.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm going to be away from the night of Saturday, February 15 until Monday, February 24 and will probably not be able to post.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 am
by Tabs
Okay, thanks.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:23 pm
by Tabs
Hi, just dropped in to say that I've caught a stinking cold, which is the reason why I'm not posting.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:53 pm
by Cearlan
Hope it's not as bad as the oneI had over the holidays ... still not fully over that one yet. Get well soon anyway.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 pm
by Cearlan
All,

I have just received word that my Father in Law has died so I may not be posting as regular over the next few days as I have funerals to sort out and all the associated trappings. I will post as and when I can. I feel bad because I have just started this and well, we cannot put a time on our passing I suppose.

Back as soon as I can

Norman

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:07 pm
by Cearlan
Tabs,

Could you please NPC Dr Renwick until after the funeral for me. I am going to try and post as often as I can in as many games as possible, but if I can get a few games off the load, then it would be a great help.

Thanking you in advance

Norman

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:13 pm
by Cearlan
All,

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts, condolences and good wishes for the situation in hand.

Norman & DeeJ

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:36 pm
by Tabs
Okay.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 am
by Tabs
Hey, no one is posting!--except Mr. Handy of course. Clues are not investigated, NPC's are not conversed with . . . perhaps the story is too long? Anyway, I feel that it's time to take a break because the lack of posting has become frustrating.

Tabs

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy
As I said in the absence thread. I'll be away at a convention from the afternoon of July 2 until the night of July 6. While I have a laptop and the hotel has Internet access, I probably won't have time to keep up and post until I get back, and possibly not until the night of July 7. If you want to take a break until then, or until other players start posting again, I'd be fine with that.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:31 am
by Tabs
Thanks, Mr. Handy. I check out that topic regularly. DrPeterson had said he'd be gone for the Summer, so I thought I'd wait to see if he returns.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:18 pm
by Cearlan
Hi all,

First off I must apologise for leaving the site so abruptly, but as we all know real life and health issues get in the way of this fantastic hobby of ours.

It is with a heavy heart and much soul searching that I have to announce that I have to shelve all the participation in the games I am in, unfortunately the games I am running as well, (however poorly of late). The duration of this 'shelving' is indeterminate at present.

I apologise for all and any inconvenience this has caused fellow gamers. The people on here are a first rate bunch and I am proud to have been associated with them, and hope that I will be allowed back into the fold again in the future.

As Dave Allen used to say;

May your Gods go with you (However elder they may be)

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 pm
by DrPeterson
I'll be back, Tabs, Caroline still needs to get under more people's skin and into certain people's pants ;)

We've been excavating for a month now and we've uncovered a few tombs, of which a very peculiar, infant-sized one was undisturbed for 3000 years before we touched it and yet was found to be empty.

Very strange, but since we investigated it, I hear the wind whispering the name of Quachil Uttaus...

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:14 pm
by Tabs
Ha ha, I just packed Caroline back to the Society compound with a tummy bug! (Last night's chicken cooked by Feng.) When you are ready I'll start a new thread for Caroline.

I'm interested, really I am, in your work. Is there a web site or something where I can check it out?
Very strange, but since we investigated it, I hear the wind whispering the name of Quachil Uttaus...
Very apt.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:38 pm
by aine
Sorry I haven't posted recently: little baby arrived a week early. got my hands ffull I'll post when I can otherwise please npc me to move the story forward.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:50 pm
by Tabs
Wonderful news! Santiago is sat, enjoying the Spring sunshine. Rejoin when things settle down.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 am
by Cearlan
Congratulations Aine and lil' aine :D

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, congratulations! :)

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:50 pm
by DrPeterson
Excellent news, aine!
Congratulations!
Does the little one have name yet?

W'e have a website, but it's hopelessly out of date. But I'll make sure to pass on the publication of this season's campaign when we're done writing it. :)

That being said, I've just gotten back to old Belgium. I'll need some days to get my things sorted, but I should be back to playing soon.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:32 pm
by Tabs
Okay, looking forward to it. Caroline has returned to the Society compound. Let me know when you can continue. :)

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 am
by aine
Many thanks! Master Ralph born 8th August. 5lbs 14oz and feeding like a trooper. I'm back posting but probably not as regularly as before.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:23 pm
by Tabs
If anyone has time then check this out: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17867 ... na-cruise/
China in the 1930s and lots of educated comments.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:05 am
by aine
What a pants time to be away! So sorry. Back now and hopefully posting more frequently; not so much time on my hands now, well none really, with a little fella in tow.