Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by DrPeterson »

"Only what you bring there, Mr.Aguila."

Caroline looks Santiago straight in the eyes as she says so.

"I doubt the monks would very much appreciate the use of rifles around the monastery."

She laughs and takes another drag from the cigarette, not releasing him from here stare.

"I suspect there to be all manner of fowl around the lake, though, or perhaps maybe even a wild buck to snare."

She nods at thong around his neck.

"Are you praying to a Christian god, or to something much older perhaps?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A Christian God?" asks Elisabeth with a bemused expression. "Last time I checked, there's only one. I've never been hunting before, but I'd be interested in giving it a try."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline puts a hand on Elisabeth's arm as she looks at her with a charming smile.

"You are the most delicate flower, Elisabeth! Depending on who you ask, you'd get answers between one and several thousands! But regardless of how many deities people worship, there's always some essential connection. In Taoism the high entities are a trinity, like in Christianity, or just like the trikaya in Buddhism, the three bodies of the Buddha. You see, it's all somehow related, there are common roots. Isn't that infinitely fascinating?"

"And I'm sure you'd love hunting, darling, there is a certain thrill in hunting your own food."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Renwick shifts on the bench uncomfortably. "You are very outspoken Ms. Lamarr"--he stands and looks out the window.

"He's blushing," says Posie in a stage whisper.

"A little heat, that is all," retorts Renwick. "I shall stretch my legs . . ." the Doctor moves to the corridor of the carriage.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I am used to speaking my mind, Dr. Renwick, I find it infinitely more fascinating than spewing banter about the weather or the state of the roads."

Caroline looks at Posie with an earnest expression on her face.

"A girl should always stand up for what she believes in, dear, and she should not be afraid to stand up for it either. The same goes for boys, but somehow they need less encouraging."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Santiago drops his eyes under Caroline's stare and glances at Elizabeth. "It is nothing - er, just a family heirloom, that is all. You will have to excuse my poor grasp of English, Senora Lamarr." He pulls his collar up to hide the thong. "I think I'll stretch my legs also. I'll be back soon M--Elizabeth." He stands and follows Renwick into the corridor, pulling the door closed behind him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll see you later, darling," says Elisabeth, blowing Santiago a kiss as he leaves. She smiles at Caroline. "Well said! I know I've never been afraid to speak my mind. I think we'll get along splendidly, Caroline!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"All boys are horrible," decides Posie, as if "boys" are of a different species.

Mingzhu laughs to herself: "You can say that again!

"This 'Tree of Great Merit,'" asks Mingzhu, "is it still growing at the monastery of Kumbum?"

[ooc: Santiago, move to topic "An American in China."]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not all boys are horrible," says Elisabeth with a merry laugh. "There are a few exceptions: your father, and my own, for example. You'll understand when you get older, Posie."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline offers the women a genuine and broad smile and raises her flask.

"To friends we meet as strangers on trains!"

She takes a sip and passes the flask to Elisabeth.

"I share the sentiment, Elisabeth, though I'm not sure the gentlemen in your company may agree. Men can be so easily riled."

Turning to Mingzhu, she shakes her head.

"I don't know, really, the last reliable report I've read is from last century. There were a couple of French missionaries visiting the monastery. They were intent on debunking the myth, but one of them, Evariste Huc, wrote in his book Travels in Tartary that the tree was there and that the letters of wisdom were indeed upon its leaves."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cheers!" says Elisabeth, taking a sip from the flask. She then offers it to Mingzhu. "Did he write what the letters of wisdom were?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"He did, indeed! He said that the leaves bore the most ornate Tibetan characters he'd ever beheld, and upon every leaf were either words of wisdom or contemplation, the teachings of the Buddha. They of course suspected fraud, but were flummoxed that they couldn't find a trace of anything suspicious."

She grins.

"Well, apart from tree growing words that is."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This I simply must see for myself!" says Elisabeth, filled with excitement. "I've never seen anything like that before."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I hope it's still there, Elisabeth, I would love to read to you what is on the leaves!"

Caroline finishes her cigarette and crushes the butt in the ash tray.

"Is this your first time in China?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've been to China a few times before in recent years," says Elisabeth, "in between my studies. I've mainly been in Peking, though. This is my first chance to really see the interior."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I think you'll find it to be quite different from Peking, darling. The air is much cleaner, despite all the damn dust everywhere."

Caroline laughs and then seems to notice Posie again.

"Take an example from your mummy, dear, a learned woman is worth at least two learned men."

"What did you study, Elisabeth?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Political science," says Elisabeth, a hint of pride in her voice. "I'm looking to go into the Foreign Service. One day, perhaps I can even be an ambassador! I know it won't be easy for a woman to rise so high, but I'm determined to try."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline smiles and squeezes Elisabeth's hand.

"Good for you, Elisabeth, I'm sure you'll make it far! Never let those men push you under, you hear me? Don't let them force you to be who you're not."

She pats the young Englishwoman's hand again and continues,

"But don't worry, if you can get your degree and raise a child as bright as Posie, you'll do just fine!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth grins back. "Thank you," she says, then turns her smile to Posie. "And when you grow up, you can be anything you want as well. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Rather!" says Posie, her eyes searching the heavens; "I think I'll try being the Queen of England."

Mingzhu takes a second pull at the flask, then, hands it back. "It's settled! Together, we'll find the Tree. I think we are so lucky to have met you, Caroline," she adds quietly; "I can't speak for all of us . . ."--her gaze switches to Renwick and Santiago, who can be seen in the corridor outside their compartment.

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”