Peking-Hankow Express

"Most journeys begin less abruptly than they end, and to fix the true beginning of this one in either time or space is a task which I do not care to undertake."

-Goodbye. Goodbye and good luck.

-Au revoir, mes amis.

The train track turns and runs through low hills, the locomotive disappears, all that can be seen are puffs of steam; aboard it are Peter Fleming, Special Correspondent to The Times, and Ella Maillart, Swiss adventuress, they are at the beginning of a secretive--to the Chinese authorities, anyway--travel adventure. Their goal is British India.

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Re: Peking-Hankow Express

Post by Tabs »

Mingzhu takes Posie by the hand; they exit the compartment. Through the glass Elisabeth and Caroline see Mingzhu bow down to Posie's level and point toward the front of the locomotive, "Shall we try this way?" are the imagined words.
ooc,If you have a copy of the picture I could host it on photobucket? Who is she? P.S. I've gone and ordered Eldritch Horror.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline watches Posie and Mingzhu leave and then turns to Elisabeth with a playful smile, leaning closer as she whispers conspiratorially:

"I didn't know I was -that- good at scaring away people. Are you still here because of your diplomatic training, Elisabeth?"

She lets the tension of her closeness and the whisper hang for a moment and then leans back in her seat with a big smile.

"I'm just playing with you, darling, take no offence."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth grins. "None taken," she says. "They can't escape from you that easily, anyway. We're all on the same train."
OOC,I don't have a copy of the picture, and I couldn't find another, but I did find an alternative picture of her to use until the site comes back (I think the domain name expired). The actress is Vilma Banky. I ordered Eldritch Horror too last week, and I just got it last night! I haven't had time to play it yet (still reading the rules), but I got it just in time for a four-day weekend, so I expect to be playing it a lot. I recently got a bunch of new board games and haven't had a chance to play most of them, but of course this jumped right to the top of my playlist.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"That doesn't really sound like an incentive to tone it down a little."

Caroline winks slyly at Elisabeth.

"For your sake, darling, I'll try not to rattle their cages too much."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Elisabeth with a slight laugh. "I wouldn't want you to stop being yourself, but I appreciate you slowing down a bit."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"So tell me, Elisabeth, where did you meet this dashing husband of yours. He doesn't look like the type to hang around at embassy parties."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I did meet Santiago at a party, as it happens," says Elisabeth, sticking as close to the truth as she can, "although it wasn't at an embassy. We just both happened to be invited to it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"That must have been quite the party!"
Caroline's wink implies she knows exactly what kind of party that must have been.
"How long have you been married, dear? "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth chuckles. "Why, how old do you think I am?" she asks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

A tap upon the compartment's door.

The red swastika is garish. "Would you ladies care to subscribe?" says the man in execrable English.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, thank you, I would," says Elisabeth, opening up her purse and checking to see how much money she has. She's always glad to contribute to charity. "How much is it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

You look very young, dear, but I can see in your eyes that you've already seen quite a few things. I'm not going to guess, even I am not that brash.

She winks with a smile and then the chinaman appears. Oh how she loved the garish sense of ornament of the East.

Caroline puts a hand on Elisabeth, stopping her for a moment.

"What are you collecting money for? A woman likes to know where she puts her money."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, the Swastika Society is the Buddhist equivalent of the Red Cross," says Elisabeth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Of course, dear, but don't you want to know where your money is going? What regional projects they are funding with it?", Caroline replies and she then turns to the man.

Well, don't leave us hanging!
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: I reckon that, for the party at the Golden Pumpkin, Elisabeth took a total of $5 in her purse (I think a "Yuan" is the base coin)--so she'll have a number of those and a few silver dollars. Do you agree?]
"How much is it?"
"What are you collecting money for? A woman likes to know where she puts her money."

"The poor are grateful for our help," replies the Swastika Society man obsequiosly, "and we are thankful for all donations; please give whatever you can."--At least this is what you believe he says, what with his missing consonants and warbling tone.

[ooc: Do you wish to try and converse in Chinese, Elisabeth 31% and Caroline 39%?]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Chinese,[dice]0[/dice]
Caroline thinks for a moment about further continuing the conversation in the man's language, but decides against it.

"Thank you"

She smiles and pulls some change from her pocket, handing it to the man.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth chats amiably with the man in his native language and hands him one yuan. Good old Gresham and his Law, she thinks. The silver Mexican dollars have intrinsic value unlike the yuan, so spend the yuan first and save the Mex.
OOC,Yes, that sounds about right.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

He accepts the coins from Caroline and Elisabeth with a bow, placing them into a collection pot. When Elisabeth speaks Chinese his face lights up and he answers:
Elisabeth,"You cannot know what a pleasure it is to hear my own tongue on the beautiful lips of a Westerner. Have you far to travel, madam?" [color=#0000FF][ooc: Put spoken Chinese behind a spoiler.] [/color]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elisabeth smiles and blushes.
Chinese,[color=violet]"Thank you, sir,"[/color] she says. [color=violet]"Yes, we'll be traveling far. First we're going to Chengchow, and then to the interior. We plan to visit Kumbum Monastery."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Elisabeth,"We, too, are traveling to Chengchow--the Society has a base there." He adds: "No doubt you have reservations at[i] Zofitel International[/i]?"

Return to “Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China”