CHAPTER ONE: Walter and Emily's Journey: Entrapment

Herein you will find the earlier chapters of those unlucky enough to visit the quaint little tourist town with a weight in their hearts.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

CHAPTER ONE: Walter and Emily's Journey: Entrapment

Post by Laraqua »

The hotel room feels quiet and still now that Travis has left it. There's a DVD player hooked up to a television that may or may not receive cable. There's a double bed with a rather flowery quilt spread across it. There's the couch and coffee table (with telephone) to one side. A writing desk and a couple more chairs on the other side. There's a bar fridge in the corner up against the wall. Then, of course, there's the bathroom with a naked and drugged Walter sitting in a bath tub. Emily sits down on the couch, her legs heavy after all that's happened. It's going to be a long night. Hopefully the voice on the telephone was joking.

Walter lays in a luke warm bath, struggling to keep the insidious images from flashing across his mind. Whenever his focus weakens, he sees the walls begin to split open, spewing forth a painfully bright light - sometimes golden, sometimes crimson. The stink of charred wood assaults his nostrils, sometimes replaced with the scented complimentary bath salts that he's added to the bath tub. Still, it's hard not to find the whole thing, imagery and all, quite exciting. His nerves are on fire with delicious energy and pulsating pleasure, a low-level hum of near bliss, that it's taken all of his admittedly low willpower to try to control and ignore. If he sat here, he could wait it out. Half an hour, tops, for the pleasurable sensations to fade and the hallucinations to become less ... overwhelming. Another few hours for his doped up brain to start working properly. He'd once been told that PVT was like weed mixed with a crazy batch of magic mushrooms with a hint of cocaine. It'd been so long he'd almost forgotten how great it felt.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Walter and Emily's Journey: Entrapment

Post by Kadael »

Emily hugs her knees to her chest, conscious of the sound of lightly splashing water. She glances around for a remote to turn the television on. If there isn't one, she'll get up and push the TV's power button.

She turns the volume down low either way, not wanting to disturb Walter, but wishing for something else to occupy her thoughts.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The television switches on to reveal nothing but static and yet there seems to be something hidden within the static. Some strange combination of lines and lettering. Sometimes it almost seems as though there is a face flickering in and out of view. It's a flat-screen television so it shouldn't be capable of static and yet it so obviously is. There's something about that static that rings a bell. Principal Roseworthy always rambled about the wonders of modern technology but she'd always been somewhat afraid of it at the same time. Afraid to look at it. To see it. If only Emily had been paying more attention she might have understood what it meant.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Ring around the Rosie...

Pockets full of posie...

Ashes ashes...

We all fall down..."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Emily finds herself drawn to the static, dropping out of her defensive posture and leaning closer. It's almost beautiful, like snow. When was the last time it snowed here...?

The soft crackling mixes with Walter's singing. It's such a lovely sound.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The static sounds so strange to her as though it whispered enchanting messages into her ears. The voice, so soft, so sweet, so gentle. It's as if she were listening to a lullaby. "Emily ... Emily ... safe n ... n't wor ... fine now, silly bill ..."

Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Goosey Goosey Gander, whither shall I wander?

Upstairs and downstairs and in my Lady's chamber.

There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers,

So I took him by his left leg and threw him down the stairs."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

It almost sounds like her father. Or maybe she just wants it to.

Silly, silly Emily... let me tell you a story...

When she closes her eyes, she swears she can feel warm arms reaching out to hold her. It's been so long since that winter, and now her room with the rocking chair belongs to someone else.

But she can remember just fine.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home,

Your house is on fire and your children are gone,

All except one and that’s little Anne,

For she crept under the frying pan."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Time blurred for Emily as the static snaked through her ears and reflected in her gaze. As the imagery flickered with increased frequency, she felt her muscles grow heavy and lethargic. It was as though the lullaby were thrilling through her bones, swept along through the mumbling sing-song of Walter in the bathtub behind her. "...safe, y ... o tha ... sleep ... enever y ... nt ... ... ... fear nothing ... all will be ... oon ... she's com ... will come ... be bett ... issed her ... smile ... eep." The words call to her, drawing her down, down, down into the deepest depths of her subconscious as all of her muscles relax and her mind slips gently away.

Walter can hear the static coming from the other room and there seems to be something so familiar within it that calls to him, insinuating its way into his drug-addled mind, but whether it was hallucination or reality, who could tell? Slowly it coaxes him forward, ever so forward, even as the energy of the drugs start to wear away under the onslaught of waves and waves of calm and sleepiness.

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The little brown rabbit looks at her with its chocolate eyes.

"What's this?"

"It's an Easter bunny."

"Mother says there's no such thing as bunnies in Easter."

"Well, your daddy says it's tasty and he always ate the ears first."

"Promise you won't tell--?"

"I promise, Emily."

She goes to bed with chocolate on her fingers and a smile on her face.

Somewhere in reality, Emily feels herself stretching out on the hotel couch, but then she's hiding behind a door...

"I brought her into this world, and I'm going to bring her up to live in it."

"You didn't even want to."

"But I did, okay? Look, you're the one who decided to stick around. If you don't like the way I'm raising Isabel, the door is right there."

"She wants to be called Emily."

"Look, is this because you want her for--?"

"No. No, absolutely not. How did you...?"

"You're not very careful. I know what you're doing to--"

"Shut up. Shut up!"

The sound of skin hitting skin. Somebody cried out - Mother or Daddy? It's hard to know...

She shivers in her haze. An unhappy memory. Most of them were bittersweet, at least. The reason she's forgotten them. But further down, there's a memory of tears calmed by the rocking chair, and a single word in her father's voice:

Paradise.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"Damn you all!" Walter screamed. He plunged his head into the water to keep himself awake. It didn't help, and he soon drew out, gasping.

Why are you all just standing here?

Walter hugged his knees. "Can't go to sleep. Can't go to sleep yet... Only an hour more... Come on..."

Be quiet, Walter. You're making a scene.

"I should have done more... I'm sorry..."

Argh! Oh god! Oh God! My hand...

"It hurt so much..." Walter said, looking down at his hands. A faint scar was still visible on his palms.

She's safe...
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

As he erupts from the bathtub he glimpses the figures, shadowy and still, standing around his bathtub and for a moment he is her and she is him and he can feel his skin on fire and there are words flowing from them, harsh static-clipped words, and amongst it all he knows he'll be pulled in and pulled under and the rational part of him realises that he's in a bath tub and perhaps he'll drown but the floor beneath the bath is blood-scarred steel grilles like a slaughterhouse and the walls are ripping themselves away, flaying themselves with gay abandon, and the static is inside his head and it hurts, it hurts so much to resist it, but to give in would bring forth peace if only he didn't drown first.

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Emily is slipping further down the rabbit hole, dredging up old memories, tumbling head first into the sheltered innocence of childhood.

Mother says... been bad... girls being gi... get into Heaven... pretty, am I pre... Electra complex... ing ridiculous...

Daddy in the rocking chair, telling her a story. It's snowing outside. Emily cries because Mother told her she's going to Hell.

...no Hell, only Paradise, and when...
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

No, it can't be her, it's just a fucked up hallucination.

I am burning. I can still see it... Still see the flames, even if I close my eyes.

I can still see her.

Can't give up... Can't give in now... Too soon... It wouldn't be fair... He came to put all of these things to bed. So that the flames wouldn't follow him around anymore. So that he wouldn't see her in every burning flames.

"Help!" He yelled. "Help me!
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He jerks up in the bathtub. Suddenly there's more feeling in his face. Suddenly he feels more alert, if not more awake, and he realises that the drugs have worn off somewhat and that hours must have passed. Did he fall asleep in the bathtub? The water is quite cold, actually. Not chilled. More like it's been awhile since any hot water had been added. There's water all across the floor. He must have splashed about in his sleep.

Emily awakens with a gentle toss of her head and finds herself looking out into a fog-shrouded day through the windows behind the television set. The television is still purring static at her but it lacks the hypnotic appeal of last night. Her mobile phone battery must've died over the night. There's no telling what time it is. Oh shit, it's a school day!

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Emily scrambles for the remote and turns the TV off. What happened last night? Where's Walter? Did Travis make it home okay?

And she has to get to work! She can't miss a day for this!

She jumps to her feet, tries to straighten out the wrinkles in her clothes, and sneaks a worried glance at the bathroom.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Was it over? Walter groaned. It didn't feel as if it was over.

He rose out of the bathtub and began to get dressed.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Emily can hear the water slosh, footsteps hitting tiles, and then the sound of fabric rustling.

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Well, he seems to be okay. But maybe she should stick around to make sure... no, no time for that. She has to sign the children in, and handle the library, and...

Emily rushes around the hotel room, checking all over for things she might have left in odd places.

Return to “Earlier Chapters”