CHAPTER ONE: Cole's Journey: Lock & Key

Herein you will find the earlier chapters of those unlucky enough to visit the quaint little tourist town with a weight in their hearts.

Moderator: Laraqua

Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Cole's Journey: Lock & Key

Post by Garrett »

I stick with my plan, giving every room a brief look over only stopping if I see something of interest.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

The first interview room is locked. The second was unlocked and revealed a small room with a table and three chairs. There's a couple buttons on a little box on the table and a video camera in the corner of the room. There's no 2-way mirror or any way of seeing inside the other room or vice versa. The Processing Room has a big wall with black lines on it marking off height as well as a camera on a stand opposing it. There's also a series of sinks and metal counter tops for fingerprinting and a line of chairs for people to wait their turn. The next rooms in the short corridor are marked 'Cells' (locked), 'Storage' (stuck), and an unmarked door with blood on the handle that is partially open. There's also a door to yet another corridor at the very end.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

[Spoiler-Button]Sorry should have specified I just pick the lock to any and all locked doors I happen upon.[/Spoiler-Button] Reaching the storage door I attempt to force it open.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole hip and shoulders the door but to no avail. He even pulls out his lockpick kit to see if there's something wrong with the locking mechanism but there's nothing wrong with it. It just won't open. The handle won't even turn. Any attempts to pull apart the hinges also fail, though the presence of those hinges suggests that the storage room is probably just that ... storage. They'd hide the hinges in the Armory or Evidence Lockers.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I continue searching any and all doors, proceeding silently and letting no locks stop me.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole checks back at the Interview Room door and tries fiddling at it with his lockpick but to no avail. He should be able to unlock it, by rights, but he simply can't. Opening the unnamed door, he finds himself in a large room with desks and computers around the edges with computer chairs pressed up against them. Sort of cubicles without the privacy. Lying in the center of the room are five people in plain clothes, placed in a simple pile, each laying on their backs staring upward, and each with two smoking bullet holes where there eyes should be.

A little girl's voice calls out over the speakers: "Daddy? Daddy, where are you? Where've you goooone?"

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

What the hell "HELLO, CAN YOU HEAR ME? WHERE ARE YOU?" I yell loudly, instinctively concerned for this young girl.
-If I'm given directions to reach her I follow them.
-If no useful information is given I continue searching the building. Looking for the armory and this little girl.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Daddy, I've been waiting! Daddy?" She probably can't hear him. Instead he hears her whimper and then a button must have gotten flicked because there's only silence coming out of the speakers now, not dead air.

There's the locked Interrogation Room he couldn't open without a key, the cells area, and the corridor that leads further on. Considering he may have a time limit on his hands and someone else may have heard that recording, he'd better hurry. Where would he try first?

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I run down the corridor, checking every door and looking around carefully.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There's an EXIT sign glowing green above the door at the end of this corridor and a left turn onto a corridor with three doors on the right and two on the left. The first door on the right leads into a staff kitchen with various departmental posters pinned to the wall, including one about team values, with a fridge, sink, and three tables pushed together to form the lunch table. The strangest thing about this room is that there is a shotgun lying in the middle of those tables with three shotgun shells, unused, sitting beside it. Sticky strands of something red and glistening hang from a hole in the ceiling around the shotgun, leaving barely enough room for a hand to pass between them to get at the the shotgun, let alone to pull out the shotgun without disturbing them. The next door on the right appears to be the staff toilets which has the Engaged symbol on and the one on the left is another door to the Storage room (also stuck). The other door on the left is unmarked.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I pound my fist on the bathroom door, and wait a moment to hear a reply. If I don't I check the unmarked door before continuing my search, stopping first to grab the shotgun. Using no precaution other then pulling my sleeve over my hand to keep the liquid from touching it.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Before heading off, Cole races over to the table and reaches through the sticky substance to grab the shotgun, his left arm entering the darkness as his right keeps the flashlight trained on the windows and the doors. As he goes to pull back his arm, he finds that there's no resistance from the strands whatsoever. Brushing his flashlight over the space above the table, he sees that several of the strands are simply gone. Training the flashlight on his arm, he sees there's no strands there either. Simply a few bruised lines beneath the skin. Hurrying out to the staff toilets, he hears a man scream in panic and several shots are fired, the bullets blasting through the door.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"HOLY SHIT!" I scream and flip my back so that it is against the wall next to the door. "QUIT SHOOTING, I"M JUST LOOKING FOR HELP!" I yell into the room.
Just to clarify,do I have the shotgun? If I do I check to make sure its loaded, and load it if it's not.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole loads the three shells into the shotgun, the flashlight tucked into his armpit. There's nothing but silence coming from the toilet now.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ugh I don't have much experience with shotguns. I set it on the ground for know and take out my pistol, I stand before the bathroom door and take a deep breath before kicking the door in, gun ready.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole kicks the door and his foot goes straight through the thin wood, getting caught on the other side. Thankfully, there's no further gunfire just yet. Perhaps they're just as shocked as he is. He can either try to slam the door open with his foot trapped inside so he can get off a shot (though his foot would be stuck) or he can try to remove his foot and risk getting shot.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I open the door with my foot and keep my gun ready, better safe then sorry.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole pushes the door inward, hobbling forward, his foot still trapped in the door, and his handgun in his hands with the flashlight pressed up against it. He's ready to fire but the blood spattering all the walls stops him. A policeman's corpse sits curled up in the corner of toilets designed to be used by men, women, and the disabled, his head pressed up against the basin. Though he seems crouched there defensively, his body is horrifically mutilated, great lines gouged through his skin and flesh, doubtless the cause behind all the blood and muck against the walls, and yet he's crouching there as though he took cover there before dying. A gun lies on the floor, not far from his severed hand, ropes of gore connecting the wrist to the rest of the body. Cole dislodges his foot from the door as he takes this in.
Sanity check,0/1d4 +1

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I grab the pistol from the floor before moving on to continue my search.

[Spoiler-Button]Did i pass or fail the sanity roll?[/Spoiler-Button]
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Cole picks up the handgun but finds it empty. It looks like the police officer emptied his clip. At least he's not too rattled by all of this unexpected gore. As he turns to walk away, he hears the cracking of bone and the squealching of meat behind him.

Return to “Earlier Chapters”