Page 1 of 1

CHAPTER ONE: Murray's Journey: Following

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 am
by Laraqua

It's early in the morning when Mr. David Ashby slams into your office with the news that you'd been fearing ever since you'd given her that reprieve for the sake of her daughter. Apparently, Cara Ashby left her husband two weeks ago after a rather vicious fight with only some hand luggage and the car taken from the family home. She hasn't called in since though she's certainly rung up quite the debt on her shared credit card. Her daughter, Liliana, is absolutely devastated and her husband alternated between fury and fear when they called in to your office about a day ago. He'd meant to cancel the credit card but just couldn't bring himself to do it - partly because he feared any further confrontations it would bring but also because he didn't want to leave her stranded in the middle of nowhere. At first he'd thought she'd fled to her mother's, Dora Whittleby, over in Shepherd's Glen because that's what wives do, right? But he'd never seen Dora, not once, since Liliana had been born and from what little he'd gathered, the two hadn't parted amicably. Now with the credit card expense list (which he grudgingly handed over), he's pretty sure that Cara's shacked up with another man.

Mrs. Ashby's credit card trail shows her expenses at Pete's Bowl-O-Rama, Heaven's Night (a male leisure club, no less), Lakeside Amusement Park, Annie's Bar, and a room the recently refurbished (after the fire) Lakeview Hotel. At least it's not far to go from Shepherd's Glen to Silent Hill. It's just a pity that Mrs. Ashby had to run out on her husband and child. So much for motherly love meaning he should leave her alone and lie to her husband. It turned out cheaters couldn't change their spots.

When David Ashby left you to find her (tears welling up in his eyes), you had a quick of the map and found that you can take County Road 73 to Shepherd's Glen to see her mother and then either follow the road right around the lake to Silent Hill or you could simply take the ferry that crosses Toluca Lake. It'll take you awhile to drive to the area, though, as it's a fair way away from San Francisco so you have plenty of time to decide which way you want to go or make any phone calls to break up the monotony of the journey. With your day bags packed, and happy at least that Mr. Ashby was willing to provide such a generous retainer, you head off for Shepherd's Glen.

Re: Murray's Journey: Following

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray gets behind the wheel of his Ford Focus and sets out on his journey to Shepherd's Glen. When the time comes to go to Silent Hill, he is leaning towards driving around the lake instead of taking the ferry. He'd prefer to have his car with him, and the ferry might not be the sort that could transport it. He considers phoning Cara Ashby's mother in advance, but decides against it. If she is staying there, her mother might tip her off, and she could be gone by the time he arrives. Better to just drop in unexpected. If Mrs. Ashby isn't there at the time, he might be able to tell if she has been with a quick look around the house. The use of the credit card at Heaven's Night is puzzling, but it's possible that her boyfriend was stepping out on her and borrowed the card to go there. Nothing would surprise him any more. Whatever is going on, he knows he will get to the bottom of it. He regrets having given her a second chance now. She wouldn't get a third, that was for certain.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:52 am
by Laraqua

It's a long, dreary car ride to Shepherd's Glen though the weather starts to clear up the closer he gets to the area and the local radio stations are largely blocked by the hilly terrain, leaving him to listen to patchy tunes on staticy channels or return to his CD player. There's plenty of traffic on County Road 73 when he reaches it (well, about a dozen or so) but they must all be heading for Silent Hill because no one else takes the off-ramp down into Shepherd's Glen. It doesn't take long to find out why.

Despite Shepherd's Glen being on the banks of Toluca Lake, and therefore a potential resort town as well, the patchwork asphalt roads, flaking paintwork, and peeling weatherboards mark out the Shepherd's Inn that is your first introduction to the town. There's a couple cars parked outside, however, so there's obviously some residents inside the town. Driving further in, Murphy sees that several businesses are boarded up, including the Shepherd's Glen Police Station, Dr. Fitch's Office, a bakery, pharmacy, and even a few houses. One odd point, however, noted as you descended the sloping road, was that Shepherd's Glen has a rather impressively large cemetery.

Checking your G.P.S., you see that Whittleby lives at 6 Walton Avenue.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm [b]Murray[/b], not Murphy. ;)

Murray drives directly to 6 Walton Avenue, checking out the house to see if it looks like someone's home.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:25 am
by Laraqua
The curtains are opened and there's no lacy curtains in the way so Murray can quite easily see an old lady sitting on a rather elegant arm chair, watching something that is likely to be a television. Behind her sits a roaring fireplace with a marble mantlepiece. Compared to the rather crumbling stone facade and the front yard strewn with weeds, the interior appears to be positively decadent. Strange then, that there should be about ten decaying newspapers lying by the front stoop. Despite the distance, he can quiteeasily see that the woman seems to have aged poorly over the years. Her gray hair has been put up in rollers in a fairly unkempt way, her skin sags with wrinkles from a fine-boned face that make her look to be about ninety, which is impossible because Mrs. Ashby is in her mid-thirties. Unless Mrs. Whittleby was in her late fifties when she gave birth to her? Or isn't this Mrs. Whittleby? The phone directory had pointed to this house (Mr. Ashby never knew his mother-in-law's address) but in a town like this it wouldn't be surprising if it hadn't been updated in awhile.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray decides that the direct approach is best. He parks the car in front of the house and walks up the front walk. Maybe that's Mrs. Ashby's grandmother, he thinks. If she's really ninety, then she was around my age in the 1940s. Most people think I'm old-fashioned, but my fondness for the era might be an advantage here. He climbs up the front stoop, avoiding the newspapers, and knocks gently on the door.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:47 am
by Laraqua
There is no response or reaction from anyone inside the house. The television seems to be blaring The Gilmore Girls, if he's not mistaken, but there's no curious call out, nor foot falls, nor any other sign that the occupant of the house has heard him. Perhaps she's deaf? Perhaps she saw him coming up the drive and decided to ignore him anyway? It's hard to tell.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray knocks again, louder this time in case the old woman is hard of hearing. If that doesn't get her attention, he'll ring the doorbell if there is one.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 am
by Laraqua

Murray finally hears the television switch off and a few moments later the door pulls open but holds at the three latched chains. A suspicious-looking woman peeks out at you with narrowed eyes. "What're you doing here? I don't recognise you!" she snaps in a growl of a voice. "What're you want? Some kind of salesman? Tourist in the wrong place? Pah! I ain't gonna let you in, y'know!"

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry to bother you, ma'am," says Murray politely. "My name is Murray Archer. I'm looking for Mrs. Dora Whittleby. It's about her daughter, Cara. Her husband and especially her daughter Liliana are worried sick about her." Though Murray is usually glib, this elderly lady seems immune to his charming nature. He studies her as she responds.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:29 am
by Laraqua
"She ain't here no more," grumbles the old lady, obviously lying. In fact, her eyes seem to positively light up at his mistaken assumptions. "Moved out when all the troubles started." She starts shutting the door (which still has a few latched chains in place).

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think you forgot to check Psychology on my character sheet.

"Please, wait!" says Murray. "What troubles? I'm not from around here. I came all the way out from San Francisco. If Mrs. Whittleby isn't here, where is she?"

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:34 am
by Laraqua
Oh,okay!
The old lady simply shuts the door and Murray can hear the lock click shut.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray takes out his smartphone and calls the house. Since he found the address in the phone book, he already has the number. Even if the old woman ignores it and lets her machine pick up, the recorded message will probably tell him who lives there.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:39 am
by Laraqua
There is an answering machine, luckily enough. "Hello, this is Dora Whittleby's telephone. If you can leave your name and number after the beep, I'll get right back to you." A few moments pass. "How do I stop it?" comes her voice in the background, moments before a click and a beep sounds. There's no doubting it. It's the voice of the woman who had answered the door.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I know you can hear me, Mrs. Whittleby," says Murray. "Please talk to me and drop the act. There's no point in lying to me any more. I've been honest with you, and you should pay me the same respect. I know you think you're protecting your daughter, but I only want what's best for her. Your little granddaughter misses her mommy terribly, and this is breaking her heart."

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:53 pm
by Laraqua
The telephone is snatched up and the voice snaps, "I haven't seen my blasted daughter in twenty years when she went and ran away from home. I ain't seen her and I ain't want to see her. I didn't refuse that damn wedding invitation for nothing. If she went and disappeared on that damn fool of a San Francisco faggot, than good riddance to them both." She slams the telephone down. Itshard to tellif she's being honest over the telephone.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shrugs. Whether or not Dora Whittleby is being truthful, he knows he won't get anything more out of her, and staking out the house could be a huge waste of time. Instead, he gets back into his car and drives towards Silent Hill, where he knows of several places where Cara Ashby used her credit card. He feeds the address of the Lakeview Hotel into his GPS, reasoning that she has most likely been staying there - and if her mother was lying and does decide to tip her off, he wants to arrive before she has a chance to flee.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:45 am
by Laraqua
Murray hops into his car and takes County Road 73 all the way from Shepherd's Glen around to the southern part of Silent Hill. The road is terribly winding and narrow around the hills but in the clear, sunny day it's at least fairly easy to navigate without any further problems. Toluca Lake is a glittering jewel forever to his right as he makes his way along the road, passing an Observation Deck on his way through to the tunnel that leads down onto Nathan Avenue and follows it through the southern smattering of streets and then up around the curve of the beautiful lake towards the majestic Lakeview Hotel.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray drives into the hotel's parking lot and parks as close as he can get to the hotel's front entrance.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:09 am
by Laraqua
OOC,This is a picture from the opposite lake-side direction but it gives you a hint about what it'll look like.
Lakeview Hotel stands proudly before him on the right on Nathan Avenue. Further in the distance, to the left, Murray can make out the Lakeside Amusement Park where the credit card records reveal some grand expenditures as well. It shouldn't be all that surprising how expensive a trip to an amusement park can be if you really don't care how much you spend -- which she obviously hasn't. Thus far, she's managed to rake upwards of $10,000 worth of expenses at the pubs, amusement parks, hotel, and other assorted places. Her last spend occurred precisely three days ago - but she's pre-paid five more days in advance beyond today. Of course, Murray doesn't know which room she's booked into. He'll have to ask the receptionist.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray puts his GPS away. No sense in tempting thieves. Then he gets out of the car and enters the hotel, looking for the front desk.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:55 am
by Laraqua

The heavy double doors lead into the large foyer which has a rather beautiful wood panelling and some antique staircases. There's some doors flanking the stairs which lead into the rear of the building. To Murray's left is a gift shop and a wide reception desk with a rather perky-looking pretty receptionists leaning her impressive bosom on the wood counter as she peers out at Murray with a quirky smile. Her ruby red lips and classically curled bob give her the appeal of a like-minded individual who obviously has taken a liking to Murray in his trenchcoat and old-fashioned sensibilities.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray takes off his hat and greets the receptionist with a smile. Most people these days don't wear hats, which he has always felt is a pity. Even among those who do, some don't know that you're supposed to take it off when you come inside. "Good day, Miss," he says. "Perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for Cara Ashby. Can you please tell me which room she's in?"

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:01 am
by Laraqua
"Oh, uh, that's against hotel policy, but I am happy to tell her that she has a visitor? She's had a fair few visitors lately though they've dropped off a bit recently. I'm sure she'd be happy to see you." There's a slightly flirty emphasis on the word 'you'.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Murray, his smile broadening. "I'd appreciate that."

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:04 am
by Laraqua
She beams at him and then lifts a telephone to her ear. Murray can see that she dials in 432 on the telephone extension. If he adds the first five numbers of the hotel phone number, then puts in those last three digits, he should have her room number. She sits there and listens in on the telephone for a short period of time and then sighs and hangs up. "Sorry, she's not picking up. Perhaps she's checked out?" She types in something on the computer. "Nope, she's still checked in here. She must be out. Or perhaps she's in the restaurant? She's a bit of a socialite so maybe Mikey knows what's up with her."
Extensions,at least that's how it works in Australia.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Murray. "I'll go check with Mikey, then. Do you know where I can find him?"
OOC,In the USA, phone numbers are seven digits, not eight, though there is a 3-digit area code that precedes them. Usually an extension is dialed after the main number in a situation like this. The hotel would probably have its own switchboard to connect calls to individual rooms. Since the extension is 432, does that mean that 432 is the room number?

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:32 am
by Laraqua
"Oh, he should be out working the counter at Cafe Toluca just through that door back there. If he's not there, he might be helping over at the restaurant. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to come and ask me."
OOC,Not originally. However, that would make sense. It couldn't be 432, so we'll say the extention was 305. So Room 5 on the 3rd floor.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks again," says Murray. "I'll be sure to." He pauses as he is about to leave. "Oh, just one more thing. What does Mikey look like, so I'll recognize him?"

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:39 am
by Laraqua
"Umm, he's got short red hair and this little white scar that crosses through one eyebrow," said the receptionist. "Oh, on that note ... you don't look like a local. Did you need to book a room here?"

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Actually, yes," says Murray. "I may as well check in now. Got any vacancies on the third floor?"

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:18 am
by Laraqua
"Yes, sir," she said with a smile, entering something onto the computer. "One moment... 318 is available. As is 316. Could I have your name, please? For the reservation?" She flashes him a welcoming smile.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"My name's Murray Archer," says Murray, smiling back again. He takes out his wallet and finds his credit card to pay for the room. "I'd like Room 316, please."

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm
by Laraqua
"Of course, Mr. Archer," she says, accepting his card and swishing it through the reader. "Pin or sign?" After he makes up his mind and pays for the room ($130 a night), she turns back to retrieve a key with a large wooden room tag and passes it to him. "There you go, sir."

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Miss," says Murray. He signs and then pockets the key. "Have a nice day. If I need anything else, I'll be sure to ask. See you later." He waves goodbye and heads to the Cafe Toluca to look for Mikey.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:46 am
by Laraqua
Murray heads out through the rear double doors and sees a happy couple walking past, the woman's head leaned onto the man's shoulder as they walked. Cafe Toluca is just across the hall and through another door. The cafe overlooks the rear courtyard, beyond which is a bridge that heads out across the lake. The cafe itself has a number of light and airy booths with a creamy vinyl cover and real wooden tables. A man matching Mikey's description stands behind a solid mahogany counter, flanked by a glass warming box (for pies and pasties) and a cooler glass box (for the salads). He smiles in a polite but non-intrusive manner when Murray enters the cafe.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello," says Murray, nodding in greeting. "Do you know where I might find Cara Ashby?"

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:13 am
by Laraqua
Mikey sizes Murray up with a quick glance and cocks an eyebrow. "Cara? Erm, oh wait, I'm guessing you mean Ash? Tall woman? Short black hair chopped straight at the chin? Yeah, I haven't seen her the past couple days. Sorry. She must be eating somewhere in town."

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know where in town she might have gone, or when she'll be back?" asks Murray.
OOC,Does his description of her match?

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:07 am
by Laraqua
Mikey shakes his head. The description certainly rings a bell - but only if she's had her haircut, which is certainly not impossible. Murray does have her photograph at least. "I know she liked Annie's Bar. Tough crowd over there, or so it seems. But I don't know. She could be at any one of a number of bars and clubs. Hmm... Have you tried Alchemilla? She was visiting a friend at Alchemilla a fair few times."

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I haven't been there," says Murray. "Thanks, I'll give it a try." He leaves the cafe and goes to get his luggage to bring it up to his room on the third floor. He figures that after that he might as well find Cara's room and check it while he's here.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:00 am
by Laraqua
He takes his luggage from the tree-lined car park out the front of the building and brings it inside and up the set of well-worn stairs to the 2nd floor. The pretty red carpet cushions his footfalls, allowing him to walk with an eerie quietness expected from a dream. From there, he has to pass through another corridor to find a set of stairs that goes up further to the 3rd floor. His room is on the right wing of the hotel while hers would be on the left. The hotel seems quiet enough though there is a couple making out in the doorway to their hotel room like their very lives depended upon the noises of lip smacking. As Lady Luck would have it, his hotel room is right next door to their bedroom. Unlocking his hotel room door, he swings it open to reveal a rather quaintly decorated hotel room.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Nice, thinks Murray, admiring the room. But for the television, this room could be straight out of the 1940s. Maybe the fifties, but hotel rooms didn't generally have TVs yet then. I could get to like this place. He puts his things away and then leaves the room, locking the door behind him. He heads across the third floor hallways to the other wing of the hotel and Room 305.
OOC,The picture is not visible, but I was able to view it by copying and pasting the URL from the Properties window into my browser and loading it that way.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:35 am
by Laraqua
Room 305 is locked. There's no one in the corridor, however.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries knocking on the door first, in case someone happens to be in there.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:41 am
by Laraqua
There's no response.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Glancing back over his shoulder to make sure the corridor is still clear, Murray takes out his lockpicks and fiddles with the door. He positions his body to block the view of his hands so that if anyone does wander by, it will look like he's just standing there waiting for someone to answer the door.
OOC,Invisible Castle is still down, so I'll need a Locksmith roll, please. My skill is 61%.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:28 am
by Laraqua
Luckily for Murray, no one comes near him as he inserts the picks and starts moving the tumblers one by one. It's a fairly simple and old-fashioned lock which gives him plenty of time to move. If this had been a modern hotel, it might've been trickier. Especially if they had a card reader. Instead, it takes less than a minute to click it all past and open the door to a hotel room just like his own. There's a magazine on the coffee table called Resort! that seems to have a feature on Silent Hill. There's also a pair of suitcases sitting on the couch. There's even a camera, quite a flash one, sitting on the television set. There seems to have been some sort of flyer that's slipped beneath the couch.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray slips on his gloves. The first thing he does is take the "Do Not Disturb" sign and hang it from the knob outside the door. He doesn't want housekeeping trying to come in to change the sheets while he's inside. He slips quietly into the room and closes the door silently behind him. After memorizing the exact position of the flyer so that he can put it back without anyone knowing it was moved, he pulls it out and reads it.
OOC,Please remember to check the Locksmith skill on my character sheet.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:49 am
by Laraqua

It's a flyer for the Lakeside Amusement Park and it's various rides and its opening times have been underlined in biro. There's a few details on the location in the flyer:

Merry-Go-Round, haunted house, roller coaster, ferris wheel and tea cups. Silent Hill is home to a thrilling amusement park that both children and adults love.

Located in the Resort Area, it's a popular tourist attraction, with key activities including a rollercoaster, a carousel, a ferris wheel, and a few other carnival rides and sideshows.

Borely Haunted Mansion. A haunted mansion, advising pregnant and weak-hearted people to refrain from entering; children under the age of eight must be accompanied by an adult.

There's also imagery of the four mascots: Robbie the Rabbot, Kathy the Kitty, Huey the Horse and Dawn the Duck.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The picture isn't displaying.

Murray takes out his digital camera, snaps a picture of the flyer, and then slips the flyer back where he found it. He checks the magazine next, again remembering its position carefully and replacing it when he's done, taking more photos of the feature on Silent Hill, though he doesn't take the time to do more than glance over it while he's in here. He can view it on his camera at his leisure later.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:46 am
by Laraqua
Murray successfully manages to take the pictures and replace the maagazine and the flyer. The bed is well-made and seems undisturbed. There's still two suitcases sitting on the couch. There's also a chest of drawers and a wardrobe in the room, as well as a door to the bathroom and a writing desk. The expensive camera on top of the television looks like a digital camera.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray checks the writing desk next, looking to see if his quarry has written anything. If there's a pad of paper, he examines it to see if it seems that any pieces have been torn off. He can always do the trick where you rub a pencil over the top piece to get an impression of what was written on the piece above before it had been torn off. Then he can take that piece of paper on which he took the rubbing with him. Not even the most anal-retentive person in the world would notice a single piece of paper missing from a writing pad.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:27 am
by Laraqua
There is a post-it note box sitting on the writing desk and not a whole hell of a lot more. He grabs out a pencil and carefully produces a rubbing (we'll go with Crafts, doubled as its a rather simple enterprise) that reveals most of the lettering fairly clearly: I.C.U. Alchemilla. 11.30

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray pockets the post-it note on which he took the rubbing and looks at his watch to see what time it is. This is the best lead he has to his quarry's whereabouts, but he might not have much time to take advantage of it.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:50 am
by Laraqua
It's already 3.30 PM.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Realizing that it's almost certainly too late to catch Cara at the hospital, Murray examines the digital camera next. Again taking care to memorize its position and orientation, he powers it up and reviews recent photos taken with it. He would like to copy the memory stick's contents entirely, but that would take a while, and he doesn't want to risk borrowing the memory stick or substituting one of his own.
OOC,With a USB connector, it would be possible to download a copy of any photos to my smartphone from the camera. Do I have one with me? Is there one with the camera?

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:09 am
by Laraqua
Cameras this expensive would certainly come with a USB connector and other assorted cords in the camera bag. There's no sign of it here but it might have been put away in the cupboard or the wardrobe. The past few photographs are of Lake Toluca with a few of the actual hotel and one of the Lakeside Amusement Park.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray powers down the camera and replaces it precisely where he found it. Next he looks inside the wardrobe.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:22 am
by Laraqua
There's a Robbie Rabbit stuffed animal, three show bags from the Lakeside Amusement Park, and the camera bag. The show bags each have a tag attached to them, like you do when you're giving people presents.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray looks at the tags to see if there are any names in them. He peeks in the show bags to see what's inside, careful not to move them from their positions nor to disturb their contents. Then he looks inside the camera bag, hoping to find a USB connector.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 am
by Laraqua
There's an envelope in each show bag alongside the normal assortments. One has Murray's name. The other two are for her husband and daughter. The tags match the envelope labels that are written in Mrs. Ashby's smooth, clear handwriting. The camera bag, at least, contains what he's looking for. The USB connector. At least he can download the contents of her camera now.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

Taking care to note exactly where he found it as always, Murray uses the USB connector to hook up the camera to his smartphone and starts downloading copies of all the pictures taken on it. While that is going on, he can continue his search of the room.
OOC,Are the envelopes sealed?

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 pm
by Laraqua
The envelopes are all sealed but its easy enough to note where they are and then download copies of the pictures onto his phone. The suitcases on the couch contain a few sets of clothing from what he can see on the top of the pile without disturbing anything. Some of it is so new they still have price tags on them. Obviously, she spent a bit while she was here.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray returns the suitcases back the way they were and looks inside the chest of drawers next.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 am
by Laraqua
The first drawer slides out with a dull creak, revealing a battered Bible and sixteen dead flies, all covered in a layer of dust. The sickly green interior lining of the drawer is peeled and flaking in places as though the chest of drawers is must older than it appears. The second drawer is empty with a rotting interior harboring several writhing maggots that almost seem to be feeding off the very wood itself. The third drawer is almost gutted with rot and white ants but it contains a pale red ring box with a dusty, velvet exterior.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Being sure not to alter its position (it looks like it hasn't been moved in years) and to disturb the dust as little as possible, Murray opens the ring box just enough to see inside.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:30 am
by Laraqua
It's impossible not to smudge the dust with his fingers when he opens it and, unless he wants to bend himself at a ridiculous angle to peek inside a box in a drawer, he is forced to open it fully. Inside is a beautiful navy blue blue with a diamond ring and a gold ring sitting together in the little embedded ridge. His memory could be wrong, but it does look an awful lot like Mrs. Ashby's engagement ring. He'd noticed it most when she'd been wearing it while having her fling. Most married women don't do that. They hide their rings. But she'd still been wearing it. It looks like now she's taken it off.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray cautiously closes the ring box back up and replaces it in its original position, trying to keep the dust as smooth as possible. He is relieved that at least his gloves mean that he won't be leaving fingerprints in the dust. Then he shuts the drawers and looks into the bathroom.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:42 am
by Laraqua
The bathroom is an old-fashioned tiled masterpiece with a claw-footed bath tub and an ornate brass-edged mirror over the sink. A make-up bag sits on the edge of the sink with a mascara bottle sitting on top of it. The three interesting details would have to be an old-fashioned shaving razor, a lipstick-stained wine glass, and two empty champagne bottles sitting on the small cabinet next to the bath.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray looks at the items with interest, and he also looks on the sink to see how many toothbrushes there are, which is a good way to tell how many people are staying in the room. No matter how intimate people are with each other, they seldom share toothbrushes.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 am
by Laraqua
There's only one toothbrush. A bright red electronic toothbrush that looks to be quite expensive.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray returns to the bedroom and double checks that everything is back exactly as he found it and to see if there's anything he hasn't examined while he waits for his phone to finish downloading the pictures from the camera. Cara Ashby has clearly been spending a lot of money, and he doubts it all came from the credit card, which would have hit its limit before she could have bought everything. Whoever she is with probably has money too. When the download is complete, he disconnects the USB connector, shuts down the camera and leaves it in its exact spot, pockets his phone, returns the USB connector to precisely where he got it in the camera bag, closes the bag, and then closes the wardrobe. He takes one last look around the room before tiptoeing to the door and peeking out through the peephole to see if the coast is clear.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 am
by Laraqua
There doesn't appear to be anyone in the corridor. He can't hear anyone either. He should be good to go.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly opens the door, returns the "Do Not Disturb" sign back where he found it, and just as silently shuts the door. Then he removes his gloves and puts them in the pockets of his coat and walks back to his own room to review the pictures he took of the article and the photos he downloaded to his phone.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:46 am
by Laraqua
Murray finds his way easily enough to his hotel room and zooms in to view the photographs. Most of them are of the town, the amusement park, the lake, and other beautiful sights. She seemed to have a penchant for dusk and dawn photographs as well. A few of the later photographs of people show her and a dark-haired woman sitting in the cafe or out in front of the lake or out on the pier. She obviously wasn't the one taking the pictures. There's also a couple taken at the Amusement Park that show a young girl of around 6 or 7 with long blond hair pulled into a ponytail that obviously wasn't her daughter. One of the pictures shows the dark-haired woman and the girl hugging in front of a queue for the rollercoaster.

The article extolls the town's virtues as being a lovely, peaceful town with a majestic lake, beautiful forested hill-side, and elegant, small-town architecture that never forgets its roots. It talks about the town as being the perfect place to come to unwind, de-stress and forget about all of the world's hardships. It then discusses the merits of the new Lakeview Hotel and how it is basically a reconstruction of the original Lakeview Hotel. The architect and purchaser, Samuel Campbell, used to dream about the place and feels that certain buildings 'desire to be renewed' and 'always have existed and should simply be there'. After all, 'Silent Hill needs Lakeview Hotel. It needs something majestic to overlook the great beauty that is Toluca Lake and that it would be a grevious sin to allow such a gem to be destroyed by nature's elements'.

It later goes on to detail that Lakeview Hotel burned down when a heater that was known to reach 'troubling degrees' was left too close to a room curtain.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,By the way, I locked the door to Room 305 behind me before I left. I forgot to explicitly state that I did it in that post, but I would have. If that's a problem, I can always go back there now and make sure it's locked.

Murray leaves his room and heads downstairs to get back to his car. It's time to follow up some of the leads in town. It doesn't seem all that likely that Cara would go back to the amusement park, which is right down the road from the motel, and if she did he might not even find her there. However, Annie's Bar wasn't that much further and seemed a likely place for her to visit multiple times. It would be small enough that he'd see her if she were there. Even if she weren't, people there might remember her.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:28 am
by Laraqua
Hide,No that makes sense. The only reason I'd make you retro it is if there were much of a chance of someone coming by, but no, there's not that many rooms down there so its highly unlikely that someone would be leaving / coming at the time.
Annie's Bar is easily enough found. It's just down the road in fact and not far from the lake. The trouble becomes obvious when he passes the entrance. The lights are off - including the neon sign - and the front door is marked with Crime Scene tape. It looks like something's happened here. Something big, and likely illegal, otherwise they probably wouldn't have bothered with the tape. Only murder scenes generally garner this much interest.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray parks near the bar and gets out to look over the scene, curious about what might have happened here. He looks around to see if anyone is there and peeks into the entrance to see if anyone is inside.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 am
by Laraqua
The windows reveal a gloomy, empty bar, though there's a visible dried blood spatter stain a few yards away from the door. There's three kids skipping along followed by their parents on this fine, warm day, and several cars are busily going past. One young girl with a skipping rope skips between the hedge rows on the way to the fountain that stands in the middle of the courtyard (out of view - but Murray saw it on the way in from the Lakeview Hotel).

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray walks up to the group of parents and children. "Excuse me," he says. "Do you know what happened at Annie's Bar?"

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 am
by Laraqua
"No, sorry, we just got here," said the woman, giving him a look up and down and then rolling her eyes. The man linked his arm in hers and they continued off on their merry way.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shrugs and returns to his car. He doesn't want to follow the little girl, as that would look creepy. If she has any sense, she wouldn't talk to a stranger anyway. Instead he drives to Alchemilla Hospital. Anyone injured or killed at the bar would have been taken there, and he knows that Cara Ashby had gone there hours ago to visit someone, so that was a good lead too.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 am
by Laraqua

It's such a lovely day. Birds are singing in the tree-lined streets. Children are coming home and playing in their front yards. There's plenty of shops around - including a surprising number of book stores. He pulls up against the street near the courtyard that leads into Alchemilla Hospital and starts heading inside. The obligatory two nurses are chatting outside with cigarettes in their hands, inhaling cancerous fumes while talking about a coma patient in ICU. Such a shame that they weren't talking about an emphysema patient. That would've brought their behavior into sharp contrast with their actions to save another from lung problems.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray walks up to the nurses at the front door. He can put up with cigarette smoke to get a little informaton. Besides, most of the characters in his favorite old movies smoked, so it feels strangely familiar. "Afternoon," he says with a smile and a tip of the hat. "Say, were you here when the ambulance came from Annie's Bar?"

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:49 am
by Laraqua
Murray's words don't earn him much respect from the ladies and his clothing style didn't interest them either. He could tell as he approached them that the two nurses didn't want to be approached and his friendly and polite question was greeted by a sudden cross of the arms and a roll of the eyes.

"Uh, who are you?" asked one of the nurses, giving him that cocked eyebrown and curled lip look normally reserved for sleazy high school cheerleaders who've just been spoken to by a nerdy kid. Her ruby red lipstick and heavily mascara-lined eyes only add to that impression.
Hide,I'm trying to set up another invisiblecastle account since I lost my password and it's just not re-sending it. I've tried registered a new account but it's taking a bit to get back to me. I went with an Appearance roll versus a Passive trait of 10 to see how they'd originally look at you and then a Credit Rating check to see if you'd impress them that way.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Actually, I was thinking Fast Talk would apply here, so I rolled it - and got an exceptional success! (1/5 of my skill).

"Me?" says Murray, putting on his most charming act, trying to look like a lost puppy. "I'm Murray Archer, and I'm new in town. I was going to meet someone at Annie's Bar, but I saw the police tape and the blood...I just hope my friend is all right."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:24 am
by Laraqua
The irritated-looking woman lets out a huff of smoke and makes a big show of answering. "No one came in today, but some bartender got stabbed last Friday night by a hobo or something. If you meant to meet your friend at Annie's Bar today, you're a little late. You should give them a call and set up a new meet or something."
Hide,well, yeah! But Fast Talk doesn't work for first impressions. I was leaving that for your attempt to be convincing. Depending on which roll ended up being successful, would result in different reactions. If she thought you were hot or rich, you'd learn different things than with a Fat Talk which is more dependent on the lines you gave her than on her own personality.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, I'll do that," says Murray. "Is the bartender going to be okay?"

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:27 am
by Laraqua
"I don't know," she said. "That's just what I've heard. That's all I know."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll go in and pay the bartender a visit, then," says Murray. "I wonder if Ash has been visiting here too. Do you know her?"

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:44 am
by Laraqua
"No, actually. She's not a local here at least."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, thanks for your time," says Murray. He tips his hat again and enters the hospital.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:07 am
by Laraqua

The waiting room has dark greyish brown tiles and a wooden counter that surrounds the reception area. Old, scabby black chairs line one wall beneath all of the informational posters, flyers, and other odds and ends that often crowd waiting rooms. There's no one else in here at the moment, though there is a bell on the reception counter. There's also a left turn corridor that heads further into the hospital itself. The air has that subtle, sterile tang to it of multiple cleaning products with the vague after-hint of illness.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray looks over the notices on the information board for anything of interest and also checks the writing pad on the desk.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:28 am
by Laraqua
The information board contains the usual information about taking care of yourself: Fact Sheets on Cancer, Heart Diseases and Allergies; A list of Emergency Numbers; a burns first aid sheet; and some details on how to recognise a stroke. The writing pad contains a few notes: Speak to Detective Whately re: tourist season capers.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray rings the bell and waits to see if someone comes to the desk.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 am
by Laraqua
Murray's left to wait for a few minutes before a blonde nurse in a red-and-white uniform walks up to the counter. "Hello, how can I help you?" she asks in a smoothly professional manner that belies the dark bags that hang beneath her clear blue eyes.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi," says Murray. "Do you know if the bartender from Annie's Bar is still here?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:32 am
by Laraqua
"I'll need a name," she said politely. "We have a lot of patients here and they're not entered into the databases by profession."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry," says Murray, "I don't actually know the bartender's name, but this is the stabbing victim who was brought in Friday night."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:25 am
by Laraqua
"Oh?" asked the nurse, looking at him with renewed interest. "Yes, I think I know the one. A handsome fellow. Brown hair. Do you know him at all? I mean, if you don't even know his name, why are you tracking him down here?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I want to talk to him about Ash," says Murray, laying on the charm. "I'm really worried about her, and I know she frequents Annie's Bar and probably confided in him. When I went to the bar, I was shocked to see the place blocked off with police tape and blood on the floor. I found out a little about what happened and figured he'd been taken here. It also occurred to me that I might even run into Ash here, since she might be paying a visit."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 am
by Laraqua
"Oh, well, no, Ash hasn't been in about him but well... She was coming in to see someone else, though. A little girl. Err, who is it you said you were, again?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't," says Murray. "The name's Murray Archer. I know Ash from San Francisco. This little girl, she's about six or seven years old, right? Long blonde hair in a ponytail?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:44 pm
by Laraqua
"Oh yes, actually, she did come to see her." The nurse types something into the computer and smiles at the response. "She's already been released, however, back into the care of her mother. Jack Fifer is downstairs in the renovated wards if you'd like to visit him. Just take the elevator down to the basement floor and go to Ward B. You can't miss him."

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Murray, "I'll go see him now. Glad to hear the kid is doing better." He follows the nurse's directions to the elevator so he can head down to the basement.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:35 am
by Laraqua
"Just go straight down the hall, turn left, go through the double doors, follow the hall through another set of doors, then turn left," said the woman cheerfully. "Follow that corridor to the very end and the elevator should be on your right." She reached for the telephone. "If you'll excuse me I have to confirm a few out-patient appointments." She turns back to her telephone.

The elevator takes a few moments to ascend from the basement floor to the first floor before the doors open with a soft ping. There's no soothing music here, just silence, as tends to be the way with shorter elevator journeys. The linoleum floor down here appears well-used, though clean, and the fluorescent lights overhead flicker a little with a slight electric hum. The doors across from him are labelled Morgue beside which is the Store Room door. Across the hall on the elevator side is a Stairwell door and two unlabelled doors.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can't miss him, huh?" says Murray to himself, shaking his head. He shrugs and tries the nearer of the unlabelled doors, hoping it will lead to Ward B.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 am
by Laraqua
Murray heads past the stairwell only to hear the Morgue doors creak open. Glancing back, he sees two men enter the hallway dressed in suits. One is big and tall with a face that only a mother could love and the other is thin and short with big hands that seem almost out of place on his body. Both of them have their gaze dead-set on Murray as they step out into the hall. The bigger guy has a grin that's all teeth and hostility, like a shark cruising in for the kill. The other man is frowning like he has places to be and didn't want to be here.

"Been asking some interested questions," said the bigger guy, never dropping his smile for a second. "Thought it might be worth introducing ourselves to each other. See why you're so interested in Mr. Jack Fifer and the mysterious Ash."

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray smiles back. "Well, you already know I'm Murray Archer," he says, "seeing as the nurse at the front desk just called you and told you. So, who might you gentlemen be?" He watches their reactions closely.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:58 am
by Laraqua
There's nothing kind about either of the two men but they're more intelligent than the average mooks one might send after an errant private investigator. "You ain't answered my question. I want to know precisely the reason why you're interested in those two individuals and what you know about them and any connections between them. You answer our questions to our satisfaction and we won't be having any trouble here." He spreads his hands in a peaceable motion but his eyes describe a wish for violence.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm a private investigator from San Francisco," says Murray. "I came to this town to find Ash. Never heard of Jack Fifer until I came here to the hospital, but I knew that she'd been spending time at Annie's Bar and figured she might have talked to him when she was there."

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:41 am
by Laraqua
The big guy nods, seeming convinced, but the scrawnier one seems more suspicious. "Huh, well, who hired you to find Ash?"

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, you know that's condifential," says Murray. "I'd be a pretty lousy shamus if I went around blabbing to all and sundry who my clients are. It's someone from San Francisco, though, nobody local." He hopes that his smooth talking will convince the smaller man not to press any further.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 am
by Laraqua
The smaller man sneers at that and Murray gets the distinct impression that he's tossing up whether to be unreasonable or not. Before the man can make up his mind, a loud klaxon breaks the silence and wails through the air. The two men startle, blood draining from their face, and make for the door even as the linoleum becomes faded and torn, the ceiling tiles collapsing in places, and the paint scabbing off the walls as though steam were corroding it before his very eyes. The air grows cold, so chilled it's like stepping into a refridgerator and his breath comes out in a cloudy exhale.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray has no idea what is happening here, so he has to act on instinct. These guys seem to have some inkling what's happening, and they're from here and would know what to do and which way to go better than he would. He hurries to follow the two men.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:17 am
by Laraqua
They're faster than he is and their tension grants them speed. They're out the other side of the stairwell doors before he can do much about it. The bigger one leans heavily on the door while the smaller one fumbles with something - a key? Are they locking him inside? He can try to shove the doors open if he wished but the big man is quite large and it would be no easy matter to move him out of the way before the key slammed home. The air feels cold and damp against his face, the chill to the air clinging to his skin and hair, quickly sucking the warmth from him like a dive into an icy lake.
Strength check,Strength vs. 16.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:52 am
by Seon
The morgue doors creak open. "Is...is someone there?" Jack coughed.

EDITED For Clarity by Laraqua.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 am
by Laraqua
Both,You two should describe yourselves so you know what you're meeting.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 am
by Seon
Jack staggerd into Murray's view. His bloody trenchcoat was tattered in places where the monster had impaled him with the knife and where the dog had bit him in the arm. In one of his hand, he was holding an unfolded switchblade. In the other, he held a flashlight.

Part of his head was bandaged, which Murray could clearly see.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think that roll should be against CON rather than STR, if it's to withstand the effects of the cold. If that's the case, then I made it by a lot. Otherwise, I would have missed it by two. STR would be useful for smashing the door down, but I don't have much of it. Even with Jack's help, those gorillas could probably still hold it shut. Can I tell that he looks like the nurse's description of [b]Jack[/b]?

Murray shivers a little, but his own rumpled trenchcoast keeps him warm. He also wears a black fedora, and he looks like something out of a 1940s movie. His face is noteworthy for the fact that it isn't noteworthy. Neither good-looking nor ugly, it seems designed to blend into a crowd. "Jeez, what happened to you?" he asks the stranger.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 am
by Seon
"I... I don't know..." Jack said. "I woke up in the morgue... I got stabbed by...something... I collapsed in the bar and..."

"Ash... Quick!" Jack said, suddenly frantic. "Do you have a gun? A weapon? Anything?"

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 am
by Laraqua
STR,I meant to shoulder open the door.
The key turns in the lock and there's a blur of motion through the glass inset in the door as the two men rush upstairs and out of sight.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Then I missed by 2. With [b]Jack[/b]'s help, we should be able to get it open. Or we could always try to pick the lock, but that would take a little longer.

Murray rams the door with his shoulder. It almost gives, but not quite. "You must be Jack Fifer," he says. "I'll want to talk to you about Ash when we have time. Give me a hand here and we can get this door open. Yeah, I got a heater. I don't see anything that needs shooting, though. The name's Murray Archer."

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 am
by Laraqua
Hide,the resistance is a lot higher now that the thing is locked as it's not just a man you have to budge. Strength vs. 20.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 am
by Seon
Jack looked exasperated. "Heater? What are you, some noir detective wannabee? God, you sound like a..." Jack paused and bit his lips. "Her husband hired you, no? God, it doesn't matter... she's hurt. Bad. Like me, I guess... something attacked her too..."

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then we'd better find her, and fast!" says Murray. He takes out his lockpicks and tinkers with the lock. "This is probably a better way to get the door open. Any idea where she is?" He has the door unlocked in very short order.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:09 am
by Seon
"Yes," Jack said. "She said she was in some kind of a theater... The Historical Society, I bet. If you hurry, you might still be able to save her..."

Jack paused. "Who were those guys that just locked us in here, by the way?"

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:12 am
by Laraqua
A wild roar shakes the floor beneath their feet and a man's voice screams in agony and terror ending in an abrupt tearing some complete with spatter. Something thunks against the wall on the floor above and then drops to the floor with a sickening, wet crunch.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:14 am
by Seon
"...I think we need more guns," Jack muttered.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've only got one," hisses Murray, putting his lockpicks away and drawing his .38 revolver from his pocket. "The nurse at the front desk sicced those two goons on me because I was asking too many questions about you and Ash. What the hell is going on? It sounds like a wild animal is on the rampage up there, but we have to go up to get out. Let's try to keep it quiet." He tries to push open the door without a sound, but it creaks ominously. He leads the way into the stairwell, tiptoeing as he goes and looking upwards to see ahead of him.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 am
by Seon
Jack followed Murray quickly, but his footsteps also creaked softly behind him. "That's not an animal," Jack whispered. "Those kind of things were on to me all day... It's going to kill us all if we aren't carefull... and I dropped my shotgun in the bar... how the heck should I know about the two goons? I just went to the police station to find Ash and got stabbed by one of those things for my troubles. And I got a damn sledgehammer dropped on my face too. In fact... I don't seem to remember the last few days too well... Ash mentioned something about drug deals that I supposedly objected to, but I don't remember a thing about that either..."

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:01 am
by Laraqua
Stepping into the stairwell reveals that it only goes up to the first floor but as they come up the first few steps, there's a loud ka-thunk as a shattered corpse hits the wall and then slides down the steps towards them, the head twisting at an improbably angle as it back slides toward you. The legs are twisted at odd angles, the note seems clear bitten off, revealing the gore beneath and the glistening pink-white bone. For a moment, the body is unrecognisable but given a few moments, Murray realises that it's the bigger man who's dead.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:41 am
by Seon
"Great... there's more of them here," Jack muttered quietly. "How do you know my name, by the way?"

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wasn't asking about the goons," whispers Murray, "I was asking about whatever killed them and how everything seemed to change all of a sudden. As to how I know your name, well, it's my job to figure things like that out. I went to Annie's Bar and saw police tape blocking it off and blood on the floor, then I came here and found out from the nurses that the bartender had been stabbed. The nurse at the front desk told me your name and described you, then said you were down here. I know it seems creepy, but I think we should search this gorilla. He might have a piece you can use - not that it did him much good." Murray puts on his gloves, transferring the revolver from one hand to the other as he slips each one on, and then looks through the dead man's pockets, patting him down for any weapons.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:48 am
by Seon
"Bar..? Police tape? Don't remember any of that, though I did pass out there. I actually got stabbed in the police station."

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am
by Laraqua
There's something off about searching a corpse. He's still warm but his body doesn't feel alive. There's a certain looseness to his joints. A heaviness to his body. And his face ... his broken face with the staring, frightened eyes that bore into Murray's face even as they stare aimlessly ahead. There's something wrong about this. Something terribly wrong. The man's pockets contain a bulging wallet, some keys, and a switchblade but nothing else. It looks like they weren't carrying guns, after all.
Hide,Both you have to make Sanity checks. Murray has to do two for seeking the abrupt transition. The corpse is 0/1d4. The transition is 1/d1d4+1. If you take 5 sanity damage, you can either go into wide-eyed and confused shock and denial, be too nauseated to do anything but mutter, get overly paranoid about conspiracies and drugs in an utterly irrational way, or have a disabling panic attack for the next minute. Your choice as to which is more likely given [b]Murray's[/b] personality.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray had taken the bizarre transition in stride, but the dead guy was another matter. It was too disturbing and unnatural. What could have done this? One minute the guy had been threatening him, the next he was so much hamburger. Murray backs away from the corpse, passes the switchblade to Jack, and pockets the keys, figuring they could open locked doors faster than his picks - or lock unlocked doors, if needed. "Let's see who this poor sap was," he whispers, opening up the wallet and looking for identification.
OOC,The 5 Sanity wasn't lost from a single source, so there should be no temporary insanity.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 am
by Laraqua
His license reveals that he's a Robert Kraye and he's actually licensed to drive a bus. He has a bus driver accreditation card, a MasterCard, a few reward cards from some of the shops around town, a Dai Dai Restaurant business card, Green Lion Antique Shop, and a business card for Councillor Jarrod Raymond which has his telephone number and email address on it. He also has about $300 in notes.
Hide,Yup, I know. You had to really roll maximum sanity on that last roll in order to go temporarily insane.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray quietly tells Jack what he found. He copies down the Councillor's phone number and email address on his notepad and then puts the wallet back. "Ready to head upstairs?" he whispers.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:35 am
by Seon
"I.. I don't know," Jack muttered. "Ready as I'll ever be, I suppose. We...we better hurry. This is the hospital... I think there's a little girl trapped inside here as well, from what Ash tells me..."

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"This girl's six or seven years old, long blonde hair in a ponytail?" whispers Murray. "Yeah, Ash came here to visit her earlier. We'll find the kid first. Let's go." He creeps upstairs, leading the way with his revolver ready.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:29 am
by Laraqua
The stairs end on the first floor. There's a sharp spatter on the first floor landing where the man's head must have cracked and a larger spatter on the wall beside it near the corner where he must've bounced before sliding down the stairs.

There's a vague shape of a few large handprints in the blood that tapers off as whoever it was went out into the first floor hallway.

The corridor outside of the room seems bare but on the wall opposite the door are the words Go Away Dont Need You written in blood like a child's monstrous finger painting. The other man is sat down by the wall, his stomach ripped open and his entrails having spilled out and paritally liquefied.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray sneaks over to the other dead body. He puts his disgust aside and searches it too.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:16 am
by Laraqua
The corpse has a gold Rolex, a business card from the same councillor, a set of keys, a docket for two energy drinks and a goulash pie from the Denver Bakery, $300 in notes, a Master Card, a small bag of some sort of white crystalline substance, and a regular driver's license identifying him as Joseph Blank. The only weapon he has on him is a pair of brass knuckle dusters.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:41 am
by Seon
"White Claudia," Jack hissed upon seeing the white powder. "Extremely addictive stuff. Killed more people and ruined more lives than you can possibly imagine."

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Drugs," mutters Murray. He writes down the dead guy's name and address on his notepad and puts down Kraye's name and address while he's at it. He pockets the keys and slips the knuckle dusters onto his left hand. "All right, let's find her," he whispers. "Any idea what room she's in, or what floor? I've never been here before. We could look for some sort of chart or file that lists the patients' rooms. Maybe back at the front desk."

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:51 am
by Seon
"Don't even bother. The entire town is looted," Jack said. "We might want to try our hand at the ICU nonetheless. But are you sure you want to do this? Ash might be in greater danger than Katie is. Ash was getting chased around by the things when she last called me."

Jack took a deep breath. "We might want to split up."

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:12 am
by Laraqua
A shotgun blast booms overhead somewhere within the hospital.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"The whole town's been looted?" replies Murray skeptically. "This all just happened in the last few minutes." He flinches when the shotgun goes off. "Well, we can't both leave Katie here, and we should check that out. Do you even know where Ash is? You said she was either in a theater or the Historical Society. You know the town better than I do. Where are they and how do you get there from here?"

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:31 am
by Laraqua
Another shotgun blast breaks in at the end of his questions, followed by something, somewhere up above, let loose a hacking snarl -- so loud it makes their teeth rattle.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:44 am
by Seon
"She's in the theatre, I'm sure," Jack muttered. "The Historical Society makes use of it often, I think..."

He looked worriedly above them. "That shotgun... I think that's mine... She's here? Comeon, let's go. We have to at least get to the first floor."

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, where are the stairs leading up?" asks Murray, looking around.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:10 am
by Seon
"How the hell should I know?" Jack said, leading the way.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:11 am
by Laraqua
The doors down this corridor all have office and sundry labels so this is obviously where the business part of the hospital worked themselves out. It slows them down to check each label for the stairs since, unfortunately, Alchemilla Hospital doesn't have those handy lines pointing out where to go and the power is out up here (though the fluorescents were working in the stairwell and downstairs) and the deep shadow makes it harder to spot a door. There's no reason to hope the emergency power is on and that the EXIT or Emergency lights might reveal the right door. They bust through a set of double doors and head down the corridor until they're right near the entrance before they spot the stairwell door. A quick examination reveal that it's broken. The knob turns freely and loosely in its socket but it doesn't seem about to come out.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:01 am
by Seon
"Quick!" Jack hissed. "Shoot the lock!"

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 am
by Laraqua
There doesn't appear to be any lock.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What lock?" hisses Murray. "Let's try the elevator. It probably won't work with the power out, but we might be able to force the doors open and climb up the shaft."

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:12 am
by Laraqua
The elevator is back near the stairwell to the basement so they'll need to back track the way they came if they want to get through there.

There should be a back up generator somewhere in the hospital that would provide power if need be. Perhaps it's a simple mechanical problem that could be easily repaired. Or perhaps someone switched it off.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:23 am
by Seon
Jack growled out in frustration. "Damnit, when did this town get all screwed up?!" he said, kicking the door. He took a deep breath. "Good idea, Murray. Let's go and find ourselves an elevator shaft."

The remains of the two goons flashed before his eyes. "I have a feeling that whatever's here doesn't want us to find her."

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Too damn bad for it then," replies Murray. "There's probably a generator in the basement. Maybe we can get the power back on. And I told you when this town got screwed up - just a few minutes ago. Come on, let's go."

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 am
by Seon
Jack followed him groggily. "Just a few minutes ago? I know that this town suddenly went to hell all of a sudden, but it was more than just a few minutes ago..." Jack said. He grimaced as he tried to remember.

"There...there was a girl..." Jack muttered. "She said that she recognized me in the hospital...but I didn't recognize her at all... do you know anything about that?"

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shrugs as he hurries back to the basement. "From what the nurses said, you'd been stabbed on Friday by 'a hobo or something,'" he says. "The only girls I know of who have been here are Katie and Ash."

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 am
by Seon
"I....uhh.....WHAT?!" Jack yelled out. "Friday? I don't... But that's... what is today again?"

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:00 am
by Laraqua
They've passed through the first set of double doors and are hurrying around the corner only to be confronted by that dreadful sight again.

And now they have to step over that corpse and go back down the stairwell.

It's only as they draw nearer that they find the body has gone.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's...odd," says Murray, shaking his head. He proceeds carefully down the stairs.
OOC,What day [i]is[/i] it, as far as [b]Murray[/b] is concerned anyway?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:47 am
by Seon
"That's odd?" Jack growled. "The entire town goes to hell right before your eyes, you hear shotgun blasts in the distance, hear inhuman screams, find doors with broken knobs in a bloody busy hospital in a bloody busy resort town, and then you get trapped in the basement by a couple of drug dealers who think that you are asking too many questions, the person who you are after is about to be killed somewhere in this town, and then you see the drug dealers get killed by GOD KNOWS WHAT, and all you can say is THAT'S ODD?!"

Jack crossed his arms. "Oh, and you also come by and say 'you got stabbed by a hobo and got committed in the hospital'" Jack said, finger quoting. "Yeah, if you were a REALLY good detective, maybe you should have bloody asked what a patient is doing walking around wearing a bloodied trenchcoat for, eh? Maybe he should start asking questions like WHY THE HELL I WOKE UP IN THE BLOODY MORGUE?!"

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:51 am
by Laraqua
As the pair draw closer, the stabbing beams of their flashlights criss cross over the gore, revealing a set of vague prints - not footprints, not exactly, more like smears - that lead through the stairwell door. Jack is halfway through his rant as Murray pulls open the door and heads carefully down the steps only to find no sign of the other broken body that had lain on the steps nearest the basement floor. The fluorescent lights in the basement are also no longer working - leaving the space beneath in deepest darkness. They reach the door to the basement by the time Jack has finished speaking.
Hide,Wednesday.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"You might want to keep it down," whispers Murray. "Whatever killed those guys could be down here. Today's Wednesday by the way, and none of this weirdness happened until after those drug dealers came out of the morgue and confronted me. When you came out after everything went crazy, I figured they must've been pumping you for information. And compared to everything that happened in the last few minutes, yes, a body vanishing is merely odd. Whatever killed them probably dragged them off, though." He leads the way into the basement hallway carefully and looks around.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 am
by Laraqua
It looks just as they left it, complete with collapsed ceiling tiles and peeling plaster, but there's no sign of anything dangerous down here.

Not yet, anyway.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 am
by Seon
"How the hell do you explain this, then?!" Jack growled, pointing at his police radio. "I picked this up at the police station, where I got stabbed.Today. Ash has one too. And if I was admitted Friday, then why am I still wearing this bloody trench coat?"

"Oh, and if they were interrogating me, how the freak do you explain why I still have my lockpicks, a dozen shotgun shells, AND a switchblade?!"

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I gave you the switchblade," says Murray, exasperated. "I didn't even know you had the other stuff until you just told me. I can't explain any of this. None of this makes any sense." He tries the nearer of the two unmarked doors.
OOC,My Sanity should be 75, not 76. I lost 1 from the transition, and then 4 for the dead body. Unless of course you ruled that my critical success on the Sanity roll for the transition means I didn't lose any, in which case I do have 76.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:52 am
by Seon
Jack wordlessly pulled out the other switchblade from his pocket. "No, you gave me this one," he said.

"But we are running out of time. I am not sure that you see the urgency in the problems that we are facing right now. Ash is in grave danger out there right now, trapped in some random theatre and chased by god knows what, and you are proposing that we stay here to look for a girl instead. Have you seen anyone alive in this damn hospital so far?"

Jack growled, flicking open the switchblade. "I can deal with the girl problem myself. This isn't your task. Your task is to find Ash and keep her safe. You can deal with the rooms if you want," Jack said. He turned towards the elevator and tried to see if he could pry the door open.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:58 am
by Laraqua
Murray crosses the hall to the first door and tries the door. It opens smoothly to reveal an incredibly large store room full of so many mould-speckled cupboards it has several aisles just like a supermarket might but the smell of mould is more profound in here. It's enough to make Murray sneeze as it tickles his nostrils. He gets the strangest feeling that there's something else there ... in the store room ... that he can't quite see. His instincts drive his fingers toward his camera.
Hide,Basically yes. I love me some critical successes! They come rarely enough. Also, nicely done for rationalising it. I would too!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Didn't know you already had one," mutters Murray. Almost unconsciously, without realizing he's doing it, he takes out his digital camera and views the storeroom through it, snapping a picture. "In that case, can I please have one of them back? And there's someone else alive here firing a shotgun. Fine, I'll head to the theater. Just tell me how to get there."
OOC,Thanks! I figured a guy with POW 16 ought to be stark raving sane.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:46 am
by Laraqua
For a moment, peering through the viewfinder, he could've sworn he saw a vague, static-y outline of someone beyond one of those sheets that hangs down over some contraption in the third aisle. Checking the digital picture capture reveals that, yes, there does seem to be some sort of silhouetted inside some sort of box shape behind that sheet.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:51 am
by Seon
"Get out of the hospital through the main entrance and turn right. You will see the theater when the Koontz street runs into the Wein street. Found anything in that room yet?"

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Murray. "I see someone back there. Third aisle, behind that sheet."

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 am
by Laraqua
They vaguely make out a jagged female scream coming from somewhere upstairs.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:11 am
by Seon
"Fuck," Jack muttered. "I am going to go check on that."

Jack walked over to the elevator and tried to force it open.
Spoiler:
I assume that we were close to the elevator...

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray follows Jack back to the elevator.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:14 am
by Laraqua
There's no way to get a real grip with his fingertips and the switch blade would snap before it would force those great big doors open. He'd need a lever. Or maybe emergency power. Something more substantial than his fingertips at any rate.
Hide,Murray went downstairs into the basement to find and power up the generator. Jack can easily sprint up the stairs, however, because the elevator is just up there.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:19 am
by Seon
"Where the hell's a crowbar when you need one?" Jack muttered.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Might be one back in that storeroom," says Murray. He doubles back to the room and goes inside, looking around for a crowbar. While he's in there, he approaches the sheet where he saw the person hiding and takes a closer look there as well.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 am
by Seon
Jack quickly follows behind Murray and takes out his switchblade
Spoiler:
and then raises it to plunge it into his vulnerable and undefended bac-
Jack shook himself from the thought and grumbled silently.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 am
by Laraqua
The store room doesn't seem to have any crowbars or anything that could be used as one. It seems mostly filled with hospital supplies, linen, and quantities of other disposables like a crate load of tissue boxes. The sheet that covers the box turns out to cover an old Iron Lung that probably belongs in a museum but is there nonetheless.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Nothing," says Murray. "You'd have better luck trying to find the generator and get the power back on. Or we can just take the stairs up to the ground floor. If we can't find whoever's screaming there, I'll head out to the theater. Can I have that second switchblade back, please?"

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 am
by Seon
"We already went by the ground floor," Jack muttered, handing Murray the switchblade. "You go look for whoever screamed. I'll look for the power."

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:34 am
by Laraqua
There is one unmarked door that hasn't been opened in the basement.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, try that door," says Murray, pointing at the other unmarked one. He pockets the switchblade and heads back upstairs and looks around the corridor on the ground floor again to see what other doors he can find there.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:21 am
by Laraqua
Murray can see that there's the Director's Office, Kitchen, Doctor's Office, Office, and Store Room on this side of the double doors. On the other side is the stairwell and the Men's and Women's Toilets. There was one other door between the second double doors and the waiting room but he can't quite remember what that particular room is as he's only passed it once on the way in.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries the door to the Director's office first.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:36 am
by Laraqua

Murray heads upstairs and into the Director's Office, leaving Jack to return to his own thread. The Director's Office had obviously underwent some strange remodelling. The walls are padded and covered in thick, dusty sheets, and two figures (bodies? mannequins?) are trussed up in the sheets, left against the wall. It looks almost funereal and there's the strangest sound of wind blowing through non-existent cracks in the brick wall.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray takes a closer look at the figures, to see if they are alive, dead, or inanimate.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:21 am
by Laraqua
They look mummified, their skulls blackened, and too small to be quite adult although their frame suggests that they are.

So strange. It's like something one might expect to see in a carnival or some sort of museum.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray leaves the room. He doesn't have time for this stuff. He just needs to check all of these rooms to see if the screaming woman is in any of them and then head to the theater post haste. He tries the door to the Doctor's Office next.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 am
by Laraqua
Hide,ahhh! We'll skip through the detailed descriptions then as you'd be looking for life, not checking out desks.
Each room on this floor is empty of life. There's no sign of anyone, living or dead, in any of the rooms until he shoves open the final double doors that lead to the reception room and finds himself face to face with the smaller of the two goons -- who stands by the wall, slowly beating his forehead against it, spattering the plaster with blood with each terrible ker-thunk, his arms broken and twisted at his side, and some terrible growth pulsating like a tumorous cancer on the back of his neck, slick and pinkish-white under the beam of his flashlight. As the double doors swing shut behind him, the goon stops, his forehead still tilted to hit the wall again.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray is bewildered, but he retains his calm, stoic demeanor. Nonetheless, he is glad he has the revolver in his right hand. "Aren't you supposed to be dead?" he says, keeping his distance from the man.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:04 am
by Laraqua
There is no response. If Murray hadn't seen him move beforehand, he might have assumed that the man were a particularly realistic statue. Surely no one can stand that still... In the silence, Murray's own heartbeat seems to thud hammer blows against his rib cage, almost distracting him away from the movement coming from around the corner at the end of the corridor. Someone else is coming, shuffling around the corner...

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries to move away from the approaching figure silently, but his shoe leather squeaks as he walks. He heads for the front door, his revolver still in his hand.

Don't look back, he thinks as he moves. He resists the impulse for a few seconds, but then glances over his shoulder towards the sound of the footsteps. Too late.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:44 am
by Laraqua
Unfortunately, both of the individuals are in front of him. He'd get about five or so feet clearance to pass the man on the left but there sounded like there was someone coming from the right.
Show,I think I was unclear beforehand about their positioning. You could still aim to sneak past them but you'll be moving 'towards' and not 'away'. Is that what you'd like to do?

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,No, that's not what I want to do. I recall that there's another exit from the hospital out into the front parking lot near the elevator. Did I find that during my sweep of the ground floor? If so, I'll head around that way and try that door.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 am
by Laraqua
Murray heads in the other direction but as soon as his flashlight moves off the first walking corpse, it jerks around like a puppet and comes racing after him. Murray breaks into a run, trying to keep to his feet on the slippery linoleum, and goes dashing for the double doors. Another set of footsteps come running after him from the lobby but that set is further behind. Their footsteps pattern is wrong, the gait jerky, no rhythm, no cadence, and the odd swish of a broken leg, but they still move fast, almost as fast as Murray. He slams through the first set of double doors, slowing slightly, and goes rushing down around the U-shaped corridor. He's only starting to feel a little puffed by the time he's reached the rear exit, a single door that he almost over-shoots, almost slams into the wall beforehand. A flick of his flashlight beam reveals the two men, those two goons, barreling towards him, their faces slack and inanimate, even as their broken bodies and legs flop, one of them has a head at an obscene angle as they charge after him. Murray slams through the emergency exit and finds himself on the otherside in foggy darkness. How did it become night so suddenly?
Show,1/1d6 Sanity loss to see the walking corpses.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shoves his fears to one side and just acts instinctively. He slams the door shut behind him and quickly looks for something he can shove in front of it to slow his pursuers down or slide through the door handle to bar it. Once he's either done that or failed to find anything that can do the trick, he runs out of the parking lot to the street outside the hospital and, following Jack's directions, turned right.

What the hell is wrong with this place? he thinks. Dead guys ought to stay dead. And where did this fog come from? How did it get dark so fast?

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:31 am
by Laraqua
There's a dumpster nearby but it's likely too large to shove into place. He's found himself in a fenced off section with the ambulances but it's not too hard to throw open the gate and slip out into the main parking lot. The two men stumble out behind him, he catches glimpses of them through his flashlight as he's shoving the gate into place, looking forlornly for a padlock and chain though there's nothing in sight. Hopefully zombies, or whatever they are, can't unlatch the gate. He runs out of the parking lot across the asphalt road and realises that all of the street lights are dead. In fact, there's no house lights nor any sign of the stars. He bursts into a run and can hear sounds of people grabbing at the metal gate behind him. Who knows if they'll be able to unlatch it or not?

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray doesn't stick around to find out. He runs down the street, flashlight in one hand and gun in the other. He looks around carefully as goes, keeping an eye out for street signs at intersections. He knows that the theater is at Koontz and Wein.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Oh, wait, is my car parked nearby? I'd like to try that first before running off on foot. It probably won't work, but [b]Murray[/b] doesn't know that yet.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 am
by Laraqua
Murray races over to his car in the carpark and hops inside, turning the car in the ignition, and his car roars to life.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray drives down the street in the direction Jack had given him, turning on his GPS to get a better fix on the theater's location. He turns on his high beams to pierce the dense fog.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
by Laraqua
He barely makes it a dozen feet when an overwhelming pain lurches through his brain and he struggles to keep his hands on the wheel as the pain grows louder, larger, and covers his entire body.

He thinks he remembers screaming, but he can't be sure.

Then he slumps over his steering wheel and vaguely remembers the slow moving vehicle's crash into the tree.

When he awakens, he's in a jail cell that smells vaguely of urine and man sweat. His head really hurts and he's got a graze across his forehead.

A woman dressed like a hooker sits in his cell, cleaning her fingernails with the nail on her index finger.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray takes out his handkerchief and holds it to his graze, but it's very hard without a mirror. "Hello, Miss," he says to the woman. "Coed jail? That's a bit unusual, isn't it? My name's Murray, what's yours?"

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:31 am
by Laraqua
"Huh? Oh, I'm not a lady," said the woman in a rough-as-guts voice. "Not for real, anyway. What're you doin' in here, anyhow? You don't look like the usual suspects."

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah," said Murray, "I'm not a usual suspect, I'm an out-of-towner. I'm not really sure what happened. I was in a car wreck and hit my head. When I woke up, I was here. You'd think they'd have taken me to the hospital. Hell, it happened right outside the hospital. Did you see them bring me in?"

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 am
by Laraqua
"Yeah, actually, you were real passed out. Sure you weren't out boozing? You smell like you were out boozing." She - he - waved a hand in front of his nose as if shooing away a bad smell. "The Detectives just dropped you off in here to sober up, so they said, and headed off. Apparently you rolled on out into a tree or somethin' like that. So what're you doin' around here anyway? Man like you don't come to a place like Silent Hill as a resort."

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I haven't had a drop to drink," says Murray, "and I'm quite sober. No, I'm no tourist. I'm a private investigator. I'm looking for a woman who goes by the name of Ash. Don't suppose you happen to know her?"

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 am
by Laraqua
"Nope, don't know her. Maybe not a local?" He shakes his head. "So, uh, if you didn't drink, why were you unconscious on the way in here? Y'don't look beaten up or nuttin'."

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"She's from Frisco," says Murray. "That's where I'm from too. I must have gotten knocked out when I banged my head in the crash." He removes the handkerchief from his forehead to show the graze.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:34 am
by Laraqua
"Lucky if that's all you got from a crash, honey," said the man. "So what's the plan now? You gonna call yourself a fancy Frisco lawyer?"

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"If they just put me in here to cool my heels and release me soon without charge," says Murray, "I don't think that'll be necessary. If they're gonna play games, that's when I unleash the lawyer. I don't think they will, though. I'm no expert on the law, but I know enough to be able to tell that they screwed up."

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:08 am
by Laraqua
"They did, huh? Sucks to be them, I guess. Wouldn't push it too hard, though. So, like, think they'll just let you go and walk? Might get some demerit points on your license."

Show,damn cultural differences. Not sure if it's the same there but in Australia we have a certain amount of points on our license and different traffic violations lead to a loss of different amounts of points. Lose too many and lose your license.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"My car insurance will cost more," says Murray with a shrug. "I'll just have to live with that, but at least I'm in one piece. Damnedest thing. I got a sudden migraine when I was driving, and that's why I hit the tree. At least I wasn't going that fast. Hope my car isn't too badly damaged. But, yeah, I think they'll just cut me loose. If they do, I'm prepared to let bygones be bygones." I have too many enemies already to go about antagonizing the local police department, he thinks.
OOC,It is different in America. You can't lose your license from that sort of thing, but you can be sure your insurance rates will go up. That's where points come into play.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:18 am
by Laraqua
"Hmm, fair point, fair point. So have you found this woman yet? The one you were sent to find?"
Show,you can't lose your license at all? Reckless driving, drink driving, speeding, and things like that can all either lose you your license or chip away at your rights to hold it.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Almost," says Murray. "Met a fellow who knew her at the hospital, and he told me she was currently at the theater. I was on my way there when I crashed. She may not be there any more by the time I get out, but I'll catch up with her."
OOC,It's actually very hard to permanently lose your license, if it's even possible. You can't do it merely by getting into a bunch of accidents or for simple moving violations like speeding. Drunk driving can get your license suspended, but people get it back eventually. There are people with dozens of DUI convictions who get it back every time. Each state has its own laws, which vary somewhat.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:39 pm
by Laraqua
"The theater?" asked the man. "Oh, honey, I know a few people at the theater. They should be lettin' me out soon. If ya wanna meet up later I could maybe show you around the place. I got a key to get in just about anywhere. That is, if you could use the help?"
Show,wow... Not much to stop dangerous drivers other than jail time, I suppose. Not that losing your license seems to reform many folks here.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, that'd be swell," says Murray. "I never got your name, by the way."

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10 am
by Laraqua
"Craig. Craig Daniels." He shrugged his shoulders and turned toward the cell door. "Hopefully they should be letting us out any minute now."

As if on cue, the door at the end of the hall opened and a pair of rather familiar looking detectives stride into the hall, laughing and talking to each other but some game they watched last night. It's the same two fellows who caught him in the basement of that hospital.

"Hey, Murray, you sobered up yet?" asked one.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray stands up and smiles. It's bizarre to see them alive and intact after they'd been turned to bloody pulps, but he tries not to show any reaction. Maybe none of that stuff at the hospital really happened, he thinks, still trying to rationalize the strange events. "I've been sober for quite some time," he says. "Didn't realize that you two fellows were cops when I met you."

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02 am
by Laraqua
"Really?" asked the first one, looking confused. "We identified ourselves and all. You musta been drunk. Look, it's been awhile. You two might as well go but keep outta trouble, y'hear? And whatever you do, don't drive into any more poles. It doesn't look good and it startles the tourists."

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wasn't drunk," insists Murray. "I must have had a concussion from hitting my head in the crash. But thanks, guys, I'll be more careful."

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:51 am
by Laraqua
"Then why'd you crash in the first place?" asked the bigger man. "Besides, you were slurring pretty badly, staggering about, least that's what the witnesses report, and that was before you got into your car. Anyway, just try'n be more careful, yeah?" He unlocks the cell door and releases both of the men. "Come this way."

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay," says Murray, reasoning that it would be pointless to argue with them further. He exits the cell and follows them.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:08 am
by Laraqua
Craig Daniels and Murray are led out into the police station lobby whereby the bigger man pulls a set of keys out of a tray that had been left by the computer. There's no sign of the desk sergeant but maybe he's been called away to some office or other. He tosses the keys to Murray. "Try to keep your nose clean, yeah?"

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, I will," says Murray, catching the keys. He glances over to Craig. "Need a lift?"

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:08 pm
by Laraqua
"Oh yeah, if you got one," said Craig, following close on Murray's heels.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, as long as it's not too badly damaged," says Murray. He turns back to the two men. "Do you know where I can find my car?"

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 pm
by Laraqua
"Probably right where you left it," said the detective, gesturing toward the door. "Oh, wait." He goes behind the counter and returns with a tray loaded with Murray's possessions -- including his gun and switchblade. "You might want this."

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Murray. He returns the revolver to the holster inside his trenchcoat, puts the switchblade in one of its pockets, and returns his other possessions to where he normally keeps them. "Well, I guess we'll have to hoof it to where I left the car. It's not that far from where we're going, so if it's been towed or it won't start, we can just walk the rest of the way."
OOC,Were the knuckle dusters among my stuff too? And were the notes I had taken in the hospital still written down in my notepad?

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:06 am
by Laraqua
Craig nods and follows him out into the gloomy, fog-shrouded day. It's a pea souper and it's near impossible to see more than a dozen feet ahead of himself. This is certainly not good driving weather. Outside, all is quiet but for the distant cawing of crows. Other people must've thought the same and kept their cars off the road. "About as quick to get to that theatre as it's to get damn near anywhere else. Where's your car?"
Notepad,those pages appear to have been ripped out and the knuckledusters aren't there.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I left it wrapped around a tree outside Alchemilla Hospital," says Murray. He takes out his flashlight and turns it on, trying to pierce the fog with the beam. "Do you know how to get there from here? I usually use the GPS in my car to find my way around. Can't even see the street signs with all this fog."
OOC,What about the keys I picked up at the hospital? Are they gone too?

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:39 pm
by Laraqua
"Umm, I think it's left," said Craig, leading the way through the fog-shrouded streets. "Silent Hill is always so creepy when the fog comes in," he mutters under his breath. "At least the birdsong kinda breaks up the monotony though the fog likely muffles the traffic noise."
Show,Yup. They're gone as well.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Left we go, then," says Murray, turning and walking in that direction. "It can get foggy in San Francisco too, but not like this. I mean, it came out of nowhere. It was a clear day when I went into the hospital, but it was foggy like this when I left."

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:55 am
by Laraqua
"Maybe you take the lead," said Craig. "You've kinda creeped me out now." Then he glances back over his shoulder. "On second thoughts, I think I'll take the lead. Man, it's creepy when it's so foggy like this. It happens every so often. Comes down off the hills or rolls in off the lake. Kinda reminds me of that Stephen King novel. What was it called? Man, I can't remember. I must still be drunk." He chuckles to himself.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"The Mist?" asks Murray, shining his flashlight around as he walks, hoping to be able to pick out street signs. "I never actually read the book or saw the movie, but I've heard about it."

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:48 am
by Laraqua
The flashlight doesn't help much in the fog. It's bright enough out here. It's just hard to see through it. As they follow the sidewalk they come across various street signs but they all seem to have been vandalised, covered in graffitti in a way that seems both gibberish and somehow obscene. Craig picks up a windbeater off the side of the road and puts it on. "Huh. It's my size." He sticks his hands into the pockets and keeps on going a few paces ahead.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's a lucky find," remarks Murray as he walks along. He shuts off the flashlight and returns it to one of his many pockets to save the battery's power, seeing as it's of no help. "Who would throw away a perfectly good coat?"

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 pm
by Laraqua
"No idea," said Craig, straightening the sleeves. "But it's great on such a cold day."

Murray can see a few rusty stains on the back, almost like fingerprints, but Craig doesn't seem to have noticed it.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says Murray. "There's a few stains on the back, but that's no big deal. Put some stain remover on it, run it through the laundry, and it'll probably be as good as new."

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 am
by Laraqua

Artaud Theatre looms out of the fog-shrouded streets as they approach. Its windows have a few posters of upcoming events and attractions, though the titles have been vandalised with strangely obscene-looking gibberish. The windows reveal nothing but an inky darkness coming from within the building. Several scrunched up pieces of paper have been dropped by the door.

"Strange, thought we were heading to the hospital," said Craig, with a shrug. "Must've gotten turned about."

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we're here at any rate," says Murray. "This town sure has a huge graffiti problem." He walks over to the pieces of paper, bends down, picks them up, and uncrumples them to see what they say, his curiosity too strong to resist.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 am
by Laraqua
It's a map.

"Wow, oddly helpful," said Craig.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, it is a bit convenient," says Murray. "I won't complain, mind you." He walks up to the box office window to see if anyone's inside.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 am
by Laraqua
The glass is dark and it's hard to make out more than silhouettes inside. Has someone spray painted the windows black from the inside? That would be a pretty big feat as far as graffitti is concerned. Stepping back, Murray can easily make out a number of scratched graffitti that covers the various surfaces, though this one seems like it might mean something if he takes a good look at it. Of course, that's if he thinks it's all that important. He could examine it (Spot Hidden roll) for further information (Occult and/or History roll) if he wishes to or he could just take a leap of faith and head inside.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray feels like he has to know what strange markings say, and he scrutinizes them. He doesn't remember seeing anything like them before, and their significane is completely lost on him.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 pm
by Laraqua
Murray notices nothing out of the ordinary here. The markings seem strange, almost like a road map, although there's a greater complexity here that gives it a somewhat organic appearance.

Nonetheless, he has no clue what any of it means.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have no idea what this is supposed to mean," says Murray, shrugging. He takes a picture of the strange markings and then heads for the entrance to the right of the box office and tries the door.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:20 am
by Laraqua
The doors are locked, but as Murray rattles the door knob, he sees a section of the Box Office window slide back. A small piece of blackened glass that had covered where people might slide in their money and receive tickets. At least he could potentially make out a bit more of the theatre if he peered through the hole (Spot Hidden).

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray peers into the opening. "Anyone in there?" he asks.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 am
by Laraqua
There is no response to his call, though when he crouches down and peers through the gap, he could swear he could make out a figure standing in the gloom of the ticket office, swaying slightly at they stood ever so still. Along the desk, about three feet in and to the left, sits a pair of tickets to the Artaud Theatre. There's something written on them, but he can't read them in the gloom, and especially not at this angle.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray takes out his wallet. "Two tickets, please," he says. "How much?"

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm
by Laraqua
There's no response.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hmm..." says Murray, squinting into the ticket office. The writing on the tickets calls to him, and he really wants to know what it says. Then he thinks of something, puts away his wallet, and takes out his camera. He uses its controls to adjust for the gloom and zoom in to get a better look at the tickets and the silhouette.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Unfortunately, the lighting is too terrible for Murray to get a clean shot. With a shrug, he turns the camera off and puts it away. "Let's see if we can find another way in." He heads around to the entrance on the left of the box office and tries the door there.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 am
by Laraqua
The emergency doors look to be in a poor state of repair with peeling white paint and a slightly rusty handle but it still seems to be locked firmly. Going further around the building finds the back entrance in a little parking lot that holds a dumpster and a small white painter's van. The rear door sits a couple of concrete steps off the ground. It's also firmly locked but as Murray takes his hand off the knob, he thinks he hears something.
Show,Roll Listen and Spot Hidden.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:39 am
by Laraqua
There's the slight sounds of shuffling footsteps coming from behind the van.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray whirls around and faces the van. "Who's there?" he calls.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 am
by Laraqua
Something hisses and the scuffling draws closer. A figure steps around the edge of the van, slouched over as if its clutching at a gunshot wound, barbed chains like long hair hanging from its head, and a gash in its otherwise featureless face where the nose should be with big, thick red lips that part spasmodically to reveal a set of insectile pincers and crab-like claws. Its entire body seems to be a mottled, bruised, rubbery flesh, but its breasts and genitalia are anatomically accurate. It hisses again and comes toward him with startling speed, though he still has but a moment to react, while Craig does nothing but stare on in shock.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Holy crap!" cries Murray, instinctively whipping out his revolver. He fires wildly from the hip at the monster.
OOC,Are we at point blank range (within 12 feet for me)? If so, then that roll will hit. At least it's not a critical failure (that would be 96-100). Do I have time for another shot before it reaches me?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:03 am
by Laraqua
Show,it is within 12 yards and you can make your second shot.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray's first shot drills the thing hard. His second shot is more accurate now that he has time to aim, not to mention even more devastating. The bullet blasts it right through the gash in its face.
OOC,Point blank range is 12 feet, not 12 yards.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:21 am
by Laraqua
The creature hits the dirt, squirming, its wounds weeping a sickly phosphorescent ichor that glows yellow in the foggy gloom.
Show,sorry, I meant within 12 feet but I'm used to WoD and therefore in thinking in yards.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"What the hell is that thing?" mutters Murray as he fishes out a couple of spare bullets and reloads them into the two empty chambers in his revolver. The adrenalin seeps out of him as the moment of crisis passes, and he just feels tired now. "We'd better get inside in case there are any others. Craig, you mentioned you had keys to a lot of places in town. Do you have keys to this theater? If not, I may be able to get the door open, but it'll take a bit longer."
OOC,That's okay. CoC also usually uses yards, but point blank range is DEX in feet.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 am
by Laraqua
Craig nods weakly and heads up the steps to the back door, fumbling with some keys in his pockets. "Yes, I-I ... used to volunteer here, as an actor, been all about Silent Hill, really."

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Great," says Murray. "I'll cover you while you open the door." He stays alert, looking out for any sign of more danger.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 am
by Laraqua
Craig shakes off his fear and strides up those few steps, ducking down to try various keys in the locks, before finally producing one that slipped in and turned with a click.

The world outside is grey, miserable, and silent, but Murray gets the damndest feeling that he's being watched. There's a prickle across his skin and it runs down his spine, setting his nerve on edge to the smallest crack and sigh of the theatre's settling.

"Do you know ... do you know where she might be?" asked Craig. "Inside here?"

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shrugs. "The guy just said she was in the theater," he says. "I figured we could ask whoever's in charge." He leads the way inside, looking around the corner before entering. "Better lock the door behind you after you enter, just in case."

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 am
by Laraqua
Craig hesitates outside, peering back in through the gloom, before letting the door slam shut behind him where it auto-locks with a click. "Who's in charge? Y'think someone's kidnapped her?"

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not as far as I know," says Murray, taking out his flashlight, "though he did seem to think she might be in danger. No, I meant we could ask whoever runs the theater." He turns on the light and takes a good look around.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 am
by Laraqua
They're in a small corridor with a door at the other end and a door to the right that is labelled: Green Room. The wooden floorboards are scuffed raw of any polish and the white paint is peeling and fly-spattered around the sickly green light fixtures. The stale air clogs the lungs, making it almost hard to breathe, and his boot steps are like gunshots in the silent town.

Craig inched in after him, casting nervous looks around. "Okay...."

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't they ever clean this place?" mutters Murray. He peeks into the Green Room.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:35 am
by Laraqua
The Green Room is a mess of old newspapers, dirty coffee cups, and discarded candy bar wrappers. The walls are covered in posters of attractive men and women (by rural standards) before some rather complicated scenery pieces. They certainly put a lot of effort into their productions.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nothin'," says Murray. He takes out his map and opens it up. "Okay, if we go through this door at the end of the hall, we'll be in another hallway backstage with offices. This one is the director's office." He taps it on the map. "Sounds like someone in charge to me." He puts the map away and tries the door at the end.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:57 am
by Laraqua
The door opens easily, revealing a rather crooked corridor that heads left and right. Murray takes the right, heading toward the Director's Office, and walking around the walls surrounding the Green Room as he went. There's a bouquet of roses, mostly white with a single red, that have been crumpled and crushed against the carpeted floor. There's still a card attached to them that says 'Yours Truly, Julie' in a flowing, old-fashioned script. Directly in front of the crushed and trodden on flowers is a door marked with the words 'Director's Office' and the corridor itself continues to the left.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray makes sure the gun is put securely away and then knocks on the door to the director's office.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 am
by Laraqua
Silence. There's no response from anyone inside the office. Maybe there's no one in there.

Craig waits nervously. "Sure there's anyone in there?"

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray shrugs again and tries the door to see if it's locked.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:36 am
by Laraqua
The door opens easily to reveal an old-fashioned office with two mahogany floor-to-ceiling bookcases filled with all manner of books on theatrical productions. A table sits by the window, dominated by a large old-fashioned computer and printed and covered in yellowed pages from a screenplay. There's a spatter of blood across the pages and the thin, gauzy curtain that hangs before the window. There's an old filing cabinet with a wilted pot plant, surrounded by dead flies, in the corner to the right of the door they've entered through.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,My character sheet is not completely up to date. I lost 1 Sanity at one point, so I should be at 75. I also reloaded my gun, so there's 6 bullets in it and 10 spare.

"Blood," says Murray. "Not a good sign." He slips on his gloves before he starts poking around. He tries the drawers of the filing cabinet first to see if there's anything interesting in them.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:05 am
by Laraqua
The files are on plays, costs, costume expenses, and other odds and ends. There doesn't appear to be anything here of consequence. (Library Use Roll to be sure).

The speakers crackle and a smiling voice can be distantly heard:

"Hello there, Detective, can you hear me?" whispers a familiar voice. Jack?

"Of course you can. Welcome to Silent Hill, detective. I am your... tonight's... entertainment."

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks!

Finding nothing of interest in the filing cabinet, Murray closes it. "I think that's Jack Fifer," he tells Craig. "He's the bartender from Annie's Bar. He's the fellow I met at the hospital who told me Ash was here. He probably came here looking for her too - or for me."

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 am
by Laraqua
"Still looking for Ash?" Jack said, his words continuing even as Murray spoke. "I hope you aren't hoping that some silly documents will help you find where she is. She's not here anymore. But where is she now, I wonder..."

A soft chuckling.

"Just kidding. I know where she is. In fact, I just spoke with her right now. You were soooo slow, detective, yah know that? She's been waiting in this town for days for you, entrapped. If only you focused on what's important and cut corners whenever you could..." He tsked.

A short pause.

"You have no idea what you are getting into, don't you?"

"Ah, nevermind. I can't hear you anyways. The movie's about to start, Murray. I hope you enjoy the show."

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't remember him being so nutty," says Murray. "Maybe he thinks he's Jack Nicholson. He can't hear me, but he sure acts like he can see me." He checks his map again. "Let's go to the auditorium and see what sort of show he's putting on. The quickest way there looks to be through the backstage area."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 am
by Laraqua
Craig simply nods. "Maybe we should go the other way? Or keep looking for Rochelle? He doesn't sound stable."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, you may be right," says Murray. "Who's Rochelle?"

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:51 am
by Laraqua
"It wasn't Rochelle we were looking for?" asked Craig, obviously covering as best he can. "Coulda sworn you mentioned Rochelle."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I said I was looking for Ash," says Murray, looking directly into Craig's eyes - and his soul. "So who's Rochelle?"

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:37 am
by Laraqua
"Sh-she's missing, too," said Craig. "She's from Annie's Bar. I must've gotten the two confused because of ... because of hearing of Jack. He ... he got stabbed at Annie's Bar several nights ago."

This is obviously not the whole story. It seems almost like he's jumped a stepping stone. Maybe he was hoping Ash would lead him to Rochelle?

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I'm good at finding people," says Murray. "I can help you find Rochelle as well as Ash, but Ash may be in danger and we need to find her first if we can. She may be able to help us find Rochelle at any rate. But you're going to need to level with me and tell me everything you know. I'll need all the information I can get in order to locate her."

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:11 pm
by Laraqua
"She used to work in Annie's Bar," said Craig. "She was a little, well, there were rumors about her. Drug dealing, maybe abuse, things like that. I think Jack once tried to expose her, or something, before he got stabbed by that homeless guy ... like there's many homeless in Silent Hill. There were rumors.... I don't know. I don't know much about the situation, only that she went missing recently after Jack was ... yeah. I think I got confused after hearing Jack's voice. The two were once as thick as thieves."

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd heard about the stabbing," says Murray, "but the rest of it is news to me. Do you know where and when Rochelle was last seen? And what were these rumors you heard?"

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 am
by Laraqua
"No, not really, not last seen by anyone," said Craig. "I think it might have been her bar? Or maybe her home? I don't know where she lived but I'm sure there's something at the bar that could show us where to go. As for the rumors, I don't know. Something about Jack getting himself involved in something big. Some people figured he was responsible for all the drug abuse at that place, others said he'd gone all vigilante and maybe he broke outta hospital and kidnapped her himself to 'fix' her. Jack'd know more but, well, he's supposed to be dead. His family had him cremated and all. How can he still be here?"

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, he only said he was Jack Fifer," says Murray. "I'd never met the man before, so he could have been anyone. But it seems like you recognized the voice. I actually went to Annie's Bar looking for Ash earlier but saw the police tape, so I didn't go inside. I went to the hospital to find out if someone had been taken there, and also because I knew that Ash had been visiting someone there. That's when I found out about the stabbing. All right, let's go to Annie's Bar. I just hope we don't run into any more of those freaky things. I mean, what the hell was that?"

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 am
by Laraqua
Craig shrugs. "Whatever it was, it wasn't friendly."

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says Murray. He leads the way back to the rear exit and has his gun ready when opening the door and venturing outside.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 am
by Laraqua
The door to the ante-chamber that contains the Exit and the Green Room is stuck. The door handle rattles beneath his fingers, but there's no sense of give in the door. There's the vague sound of a drum roll coming from the theatre stage.

"That's really not a good sign," said Craig. "Guess we have to go out the front?"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, at least the car's out front," says Murray. He puts his gun away and consults the map again. "All right, we keep going past the door. Then we go around the corner to the right, where there's a door to a stretch of corridor that leads to the front."

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:27 am
by Laraqua
The door to the corridor is locked, as is the one on the other side. The drum rolls have long since ended and a heavy silence hangs across the theatre, threatening to suffocate them in its austerity. Their shoe steps are the only sounds, beating rhythmically across the floor, yet never once managing to lift that oppressive weight of otherwise-silent that lingers across the theatre.

"Do you get the feeling we're being shepherded?" asked Craig. "D'you think Jack has any friends?"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I have been getting that feeling," says Murray. "Jack was alone the last I saw him and, while bartenders are supposed to be good with people skills, I can't imagine anyone palling around with him in his current state. I don't know how he could have arranged to mess with that door and seal us in, if that's what you're thinking. You got any keys to interior doors? If not, I may be able to pick the lock."

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 am
by Laraqua
"Uh, sure," said Craig, pulling out the keys and attempting to insert it into the lock. "Err, I think there's something inside there that's blocking the key."

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let me take a look," says Murray. He takes out his lockpicks and fiddles around with the lock, doing his best to dislodge the obstruction and open the door while he's at it.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 am
by Laraqua
Murray manages to dislodge the object, a tiny tooth, that drops out of the key hole onto the floor before him, but as he does so he can vaguely make out the sound of a door creaking open somewhere down the corridor and to the left. It'll take another go with the lockpicks to unlock the door itself.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"We might have company coming up behind us," whispers Murray. "Try the key now. We'll lock it behind us." A tooth! he thinks. Who the hell jams a lock with a tooth?!

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:11 am
by Laraqua
Craig steps forward, fumbling for the keys in his pocket, and the key clicks against the lock several times before he manages to slide it home and turn it with that satisfying click of tumblers. Unfortunately, it's a little too late. Craig's just not fast enough to unlock salvation before a familiar figure rounds the corner. Jack steps around, clutching his shotgun in both hands, his coat flapping behind him as he moves.
Show,not sure where this is going, so Initiative time. It goes Murray, Jack, and then Craig. Murray is currently holding his lockpicks. Jack has the shotgun. Craig has the key. Murray can open the door and head through but it won't lock before Jack gets there unless he slams it shut behind him and leaves Craig with Jack. Of course, this could all be chit-chat and showboating time, in which case, chat in initiative for now.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray spins around very quickly to face Jack. He jams his lockpicks in the pocket where he keeps his revolver and pulls it out in one fluid motion, but he holds his fire as long as Jack makes no threatening moves. "Oh, it's you," he says with apparent relief. "For a second I thought it was another of those freaks. You shouldn't sneak up on people."
OOC,[b]Jack[/b] has DEX 11, so unless he rolls a 10, I get to go first. Otherwise, do we go at the same time?

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:02 am
by Seon
"Freaks? Nope. Not a freak here," Jack quickly said, still keeping the gun pointed at Murray. "Put down that pistol, will yah?"
Spoiler:
Rolled Fast talk. Just barely made it under 75%

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I don't think social skills like Fast Talk work on PCs. You actually have to convince the player for that, at least the way I play. It might work on [b]Craig[/b], though.

"Sure," says Murray with an amiable grin. "Just as soon as you put down that shotgun." He watches Jack's trigger finger carefully, ready to fire first if he starts to pull.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 am
by Laraqua
Show,I run it that the rolls don't convince so much as describe a person's body language / manner / vocal tone. His successful Fast Talk roll simply means that you can't tell if he's lying - he seems like he's honestly concerned - kinda like a Bluff check. Persuade would make him appear more likable and easygoing (thus take more time) - kinda like a Diplomacy check. Murray doesn't have to believe / do what he says, but he's given no reason to think otherwise. So take it into consideration, but don't obey it.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:37 am
by Seon
"With that guy next to you, no way," Jack said, suddenly turning the gun on Craig. "Tell me, detective, what are you trying to do now?"

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 am
by Laraqua
"Me?!" sputters Craig, his fingers twitching in the direction of the door.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Same thing as before," says Murray. "I'm trying to get out of here so I can go find Ash. Only someone keeps jamming doors. What's your beef with Craig, anyway?"

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:46 pm
by Seon
"Really," Jack said as if amused. "And instead of a surefire way of asking someone claiming to be the last witness, you are running away from him?"

"Who suggested that idea first?"

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:40 am
by Laraqua
"You can't shoot me," murmurs Craig. "You can't ... you're dead."

He reaches back behind himself and grasps the door knob.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can't blame Craig for being scared of you," says Murray, "considering you're pointing a shotgun at him for no apparent reason. He's not even armed. Don't even think about shooting him. Now, if you know where Ash is, I'm all ears."

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:16 am
by Seon
"No apprent reason, eh? Oh there are plenty of reasons, Detective. There's always plenty of reasons," Jack said, smiling.

"For instance, where did you first encounter this...Craig...person? And how did you get to that place?"

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"There may be a reason," says Murray. As long as he keeps Jack talking, the guy isn't going to do anything stupid - he hopes. "That's why I used the word 'apparent.' You still haven't said what it is though. I met Craig in jail. I got there because I got a sudden headache as I was starting to drive here from the hospital and wrapped my car around a tree. I passed out and woke up in the same cell as him. Where are you going with this, and how would you know about it anyway?"

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:04 pm
by Seon
"And I suppose that he led the way?" Jack said, suddenly grinning. "He offered to show you the way to the theatre? Or maybe he offered to show you the way to...somewhere else... and you somehow found yourself in the theatre? Hmm?

Let me guess... he also was somehow with the knowledge relevant to Ash and when my voice came over the PA system, he suddenly offered... or mentioned said knowledge... and drew you away from me."

Jack cackled. "There is simply no way that you would resist getting more information about a certain Ash... unless you had a safer source of information... I bet that the information that he gave you was somehow related to the little drug cartel that the folks of this little town have... or maybe something that has potential to become a giant wild goose chase."

"Simply put, detective, he's using you... to further whatever kind of agenda that he may have. Looking at that tattoo that he has, it can't be anything good."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:47 am
by Laraqua
Craig has no visible tattoos. "Can you lower the gun now, please?" asked Craig. "We're not here to hurt you or cause any trouble. We ... just want to leave."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:05 am
by Seon
"I don't think so, Craig, I know all about you. You are one of those Order freaks, aren't you?" Jack hissed.

"Unfortunately you aren't leaving this theatre, Craig."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"You got some things wrong there," says Murray. "I showed Craig the way to the theater - you told me how to find it, remember? Does he have his own agenda? Sure. He wants to find Rochelle, and he thinks Ash might lead him to her, or failing that, that I could help track her down. I knew that already. The question is, Jack, what's your angle? What do you plan to do with Ash once you find her? And there's another thing you got wrong. You're not going to kill Craig." He watches Jack's reaction carefully. While it doesn't take someone with his perception to tell that the guy is as crazy as a bowl of Froot Loops, he hopes to be able to determine more than that.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:35 am
by Seon
"That's funny, because I gave you the wrong directions," Jack said, smiling again. "And I told you how to find it from the hospital, not the jail. So either you are the luckiest person alive in this world, or someone suddenly offered to lead your way."

"He wants to find Rochelle? Well, ain't that a coincedance for you to end up in an "accident" moment after you learn where Ash is and then be locked up in a same cell with some... guy... or whatever... who has an agenda of finding someone related to Ash! I can tell you where they are, you know...but here is another fact, detective. You ask for my angle? What I plan to do with Ash? I don't have an angle. I don't have a plan either. I actually don't care.

But why argue over this when it can all be resolved in a civilized manner? Craig, take off your shirt."

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Now I remember what happened," says Murray. "Craig was showing me the way to the hospital - that's where I left my car. I had hoped to go from there to the theater using your directions, but somehow we got turned around in the fog and ended up here first. And I don't see how he or anyone else could have caused my accident. I got a sudden severe headache. Look, if you really know where Ash and Rochelle are, why do you keep dancing around it? Is it because you don't want Craig to hear?"

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:01 am
by Laraqua
Craig removes his shirt, revealing a lacy bra filled with fake breasts, and not a whole lot else. He has no tattoos, although he does have a couple surgical scars dimly visible in horizontal lines just beneath the black bra. "Satisfied, you crazy sonofabitch?"

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 am
by Seon
"Wha," Jack said, seemingly unable to hold back laughter. "Really? Seriously? You did that to yourself? You are... you are crazier than I am!"

"Oh... dear..." Jack said, still giggling. "You know, I can still see it."

"You want to know more about what happened to Ash and Rochelle, detective?" Jack suddenly said. "Get rid of him. Shoo him away. Shoot him, I don't care. I don't want him here, in this part of the town."

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're the one who told him take off his shirt," Murray tells Jack. "What did you think you were gonna see? What's it supposed to prove, anyway? You got a problem because Craig's a transvestite? Where I'm from, he'd be downright normal." He turns to Craig. "I'm not gonna walk out on you, but if you want to take this chance to get away from this guy, I won't blame you."

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:16 am
by Seon
"Oh no, I'm from New York, so his appearence is normal to my eyes," Jack said.

"Now those surgery marks well..." he smirked.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"So he's had some surgery," says Murray. "Again, what's it supposed to prove? What are you driving at?"

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:27 am
by Laraqua
"We should go," mutters Craig, dropping his shirt with a flash of real, raw anger in his eyes. The affront has obviously gotten to him. The humiliation. Then there's a sudden shock that hits him, as though some thought has slammed him, followed by a visible hit of adrenaline rushed fear which seems to leave him no calmer. "Keep your gun trained on him!"

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Will do," says Murray. His revolver has never wavered for a second all of this time. "You can unlock that door now. I'll back through once it's open."

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 pm
by Seon
"You know, Craig," Jack said, toyingly wavering around the shotgun at his general direction. "Despite the fact that you dress like a.... well let's face it, a whore... and fashion senseless-whore at that... seriously where the hell did you get those bras from? They were atrocious! And that jacket... from which dead body did you pick that up from?

Acually you are whore, aren't you? Except you are a guy and you treat other guys to a big night out... so that would make you both a fraud and a guy-whore at the same time. Heard that happens a lot in New Orleans.

Well yeah, despite that fact, I think one day you'll truly make it big. Except you can't."

He suddenly trained the gun at him with a maniacal grin.

"Because you are dead."

Spoiler:
Can I kill him now, Laraqua? :)

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Murray[/b] does have [b]Jack[/b] covered still, and [b]Jack[/b] has kind of telegraphed what he's about to do. I might get to shoot first.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:46 am
by Laraqua
Show,Murray goes first, followed by Jack. Of course, since you're shots could kill him before he can fire, it means making an assumption there that he will do it. It's not an illogical assumption, but it's one that some people couldn't make. Entirely up to you. Just one of those things where ICly if you do shoot him, and kill him, you'll never know for sure...

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's true, but holding my fire could get [b]Craig[/b] killed. Shooting first was good enough for Han Solo. As it is, I missed anyway. I do get a second shot with the revolver later in the round, but [b]Jack[/b] gets his shot off first.

When Murray sees Jack point his shotgun at Craig and start to squeeze the trigger, he snaps off a shot that goes wide. "Next on won't miss!" he shouts.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:09 pm
by Seon
Jack pulled the trigger, the blast shredding through Craig's chest. He let out a smile and, seemingly not minding Murray's gun, began to walk away.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 am
by Laraqua
Craig slumps to the floor, his chin clanking against the linoleum as he slumps. Somewhere, out within the cinema itself, comes an ungodly howling, as though the dogs of war themselves were released. The sound tears through your heart, shakes your very spine, and you feel your stomach twist at the horror of that sound.
Sanity Loss,0/1.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm
by Seon
"Hehehe...hahahaha..." Jack said, laughing at some unheard joke.

"You should probably be getting out of here, detective. I think I have some business left here. Toodles," he gave a small wave and walked away.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"You maniac!" shouts Murray, disturbed by the sound - and by the shooting. He can't afford to chase after Jack, as he may only have moments to save Craig's life. He kneels beside him and does his best to stop the bleeding, using Craig's shirt to apply pressure. While he hasn't been trained for this, desperation has made him learn fast, and he manages to do a decent enough job.
OOC,This gives him back 2 HP, so he's down 9 at this point. It should also restore him to consciousness as long he has at least 1 HP at this point.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 am
by Seon
Jack let out a snide smirk at Murray's efforts to save Craig's life before he turned the corner.

Not the most ideal way to do it, but this should delay his efforts to find Ash or Rochelle for a while. Now he only had to find that Director's Office...

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:47 am
by Laraqua
The bullet has torn through the side of his throat and he's bleeding quite severely, perhaps from a severed artery, but the cloth soaks up the blood and so long as there's pressure to keep everything in place, he should have time to live. At least, now Murray has time to find a longer term solution. If only they were back in the hospital, but there's no way he's going to be able to find his way back there in the unfamiliar foggy streets of Silent Hill. Craig clutches at Murray's arm, face pale and stained with edges of blood for Murray's ministrations. He'll need to get Craig to someplace safe to rest up while he sought out a first aid kit or, failing that, a sewing kit. At present, Craig's life is measured in hours, perhaps minutes.
Show,yes, it's mechanically unsound, but it's an NPC and therefore reality can intrude. Without any first aid kit or other medical supplies, it's unlikely that you can just wrap a jumper around a bullet hole and have him be repaired enough to walk around, especially as he was down to 0 hit points. If he were a PC, I'd downgrade the hit to make it a bit more logical.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray whips out his cell phone and calls 911.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:30 am
by Laraqua
His mobile rings five times before finally being picked up.

"Hello?" asked an elderly woman's voice in the typical drawl of someone's hard of hearing. "Who's this?"

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Must be a crappy connection, thinks Murray. "I'm Murray Archer," he says, raising his voice to ensure that he will be heard. "I need an ambulance at the Artaud Theater. A man's been shot, and he's hurt real bad. He'll die without medical help."

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:35 am
by Laraqua
"Travis? Is that you Travis? Who's that there with you? I can hear another man's voice...."

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, ma'am, I'm not Travis," says Murray. "Like I said, I'm Murray Archer. This is an emergency, and I need an ambulance at the theater pronto!"

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:20 am
by Laraqua
"Well, I need some things, they don't have any good things to eat, and I'm getting to be so hungry," said the woman. "Please come to Brookhaven and bring me something tasty to eat. They keep ignoring me and putting me in solitary and I haven't done anything wrong to those nasty women. I'll wait for you, there's a good boy. You bring me what what I need." And with that, she hangs up.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

The signals must have gotten crossed somehow, thinks Murray. He puts the phone away and quickly checks the map. "Hang in there," he says to Craig. "I'm going to have to move you into the curtain control room on the other side of this door. Then I'll need to find a first aid kit or a sewing kit. If there isn't one in there, I'll check the dressing rooms next." He opens the door that had previously had its lock jammed with a tooth and takes a look at what's beyond it.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 am
by Laraqua
The jammed door leads to the corridor that flanks the theatre itself. The door to the Curtain Control can be seen to the right and is, luckily enough, unlocked and otherwise empty. There's an array of switches on the electronic control table, a circuit breaker against one wall, a metal closet, a mop and bucket, and other rather ordinary aspects to the room.
Show,Strength versus Resistance 11 to carry him into the Curtain Control room.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray somehow finds the strength to carry Craig into the Curtain Control room and puts him down gently, trying to make him as comfortable as possible. While he's in there, he takes a look into the closet in the hopes that there will be a first aid kit or something else useful in there.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 am
by Laraqua
Craig looks at him gratefully, still shocked at his injuries, but is still too hurt to speak. The cabinet simply contains old coils, spare fuses, and other such bric-a-brac. There's no first aid kit or anything like that in here although, surely by law there'd need to be a first aid kit or something similar around here. The dressing room might, of course, have a sewing kit and that would certainly help as well.

Something wet and heavy thuds against the door, sounding organic, like rotten meat slapping against the wood, leaving a schlick sound in its wake.
Show,Listen and Spot Hidden check.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 am
by Laraqua
There's a wet growling from behind the door, a low rumble that could've easily been missed, that sounds from around mid-chest high behind the door. It sounds wet, like there was blood or slobber being vibrated by its maw. Murray can even hear its paw steps as it paces back and forth behind the door.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Must be some kind of dog, thinks Murray, holding a finger to his lips to indicate that Craig should stay silent. Being as quiet as possible himself, he makes sure that the door is locked and reloads the empty chamber of his revolver with a fresh bullet. He puts the mop underneath the doorknob so that the handle keeps it jammed shut. He can't risk going out the way he came with that beast out there, so he checks the other exit instead, the one that leads to the stage.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:36 pm
by Laraqua
The curtain control room door leads out onto the stage before the big white back drop, upon which plays grimy images in sepia, as though an old film reel were endlessly looping ... something. The stage itself is spattered with blood, beneath two dropped sandbags, with a few small white, upstanding cards displaying numbers as though it were some sort of crime scene. There's something about the imagery projected on the screen. What was it? Wait, was that his office?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray makes his way carefully across the stage, keeping an eye on his surroundings. He avoids the area with the sandbags in case any more drop, looking up to see where they're positioned. As he heads for the door on the other end of the stage, he can't help looking at the screen.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:02 am
by Laraqua
Show,Listen check.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:17 am
by Laraqua
There's the creak of hinges somewhere behind the white cinema blind that divides the stage in half.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray tries to walk softly as he proceeds, but his footsteps resound loudly on the stage. He grips his revolver tightly as he makes his way to the door on the opposite end of the stage. The storage room on the other side should give him access to the part of the stage behind the curtain.
OOC,Did I take the keys from [b]Craig[/b]? I thought I did and meant to do it, but I don't see it in my previous posts. If I don't have them now, I'd like to duck back into the control room before I get anywhere and take them first. I also close and, if possible lock, the door behind me.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:12 am
by Laraqua
Show,I'm happy to assume that you did.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray attempts to open the door to the storage room. If it's locked, he tries Craig's keys.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 am
by Laraqua
The door is locked but there's one of the keys that unlocks it easily enough.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray opens the door as quietly as he can and peeks inside.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:28 am
by Laraqua
The wall on the inside of the room is spattered with red paint in the vague shapes of the words: 'Will You Catch Me When I Fall?' In the corner, crouched down amid old, faded photographs, is a woman crouched down with her knees against her chest, her long, dark hair hanging over her face and down her arms, right down to brush the blood-spattered floor. She weeps into her arms, her whole body trembling, and there seems to be something familiar about her to Murray though he can't quite tell who she is or from where he met her. The photographs themselves are faded, near blank, with vague architectural features glimpsed amongst the grainy blur.

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray lowers his revolver. "Miss, what's wrong?" he asks softly. "Are you hurt?"

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:45 am
by Laraqua
The thick strands of hair twitch toward him, as though lifted on invisible string, moving at the bottom-most edges in his direction. She shivers and struggles to her feet, hair still covering her face, her torso, and her brown mottled dress creases as she stands, arms still crossed in front of her, head lowered, and in the uncertain light that comes in through the stage, he can make out that her arms are sealed to her chest with flesh, though he can't make out her face. Her whimpering becomes louder as she takes a shuddering step toward him.

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray hastily backs out of the room, slams the door shut, and locks it with the key he had just used to unlock it. "Whoa, stay back!" he says. "I don't know what's going on here, but if you're human, say something."

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:16 am
by Laraqua
The creature stumbles toward him as he slams the door shut, but as he tries to jam the key into the lock, he finds resistance. One hand firmly against the door to keep it shut (I presume), he withdraws the key to find blood upon the brass. Blood now steadily dripping down through the key hole. Somewhere, amongst the chairs, a mobile phone is ringing in a nasal pattern.

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

Murray keeps holding the door shut by leaning on it with one hand, the other gripping the revolver. He looks around desperately for anything that could be used to jam the door and keep it closed.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 am
by Laraqua
The stage is clear of anything but the pair of dropped sand bags.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Are the sandbags close enough that I can reach them without letting go of the door?

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:24 am
by Laraqua
Show,the sandbags are by the edge of the stage toward the middle so no, not really. They're also not heavy enough to hold the doors shut against a determined push.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray knows he can't hold the door shut forever. With little other option, he prepares himself to make a run for it. He finds the key that will unlock the door to the control room and holds it ready in his hand. Then he releases the door and sprints for the control room, holding the revolver in his other hand.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:53 am
by Laraqua
Murray hears the other door open just as he rushes into the Control Room, slamming the door shut behind him.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray locks the door behind him, then makes sure that the door to the stairs is locked too. "There was another of those freaks in the storage room on the other side of the stage," he whispers to Craig. "Looks like a woman with long hair covering her face and her arms fused to her chest. I'm going to see if that dog or whatever it was in the hall is gone. If it's still there, I'll try sneaking down through the seats." He listens at the door to the hall to check.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:19 am
by Laraqua
Craig stares up at him, trembling in fear. He grasps at Murray's legs, whimpering, the message clear. He doesn't want to be left behind.

Murray can hear nothing over his whimpered cries.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let me see if the corridor's clear," Murray whispers back. "If it is, I'll carry you to the dressing rooms." With his revolver ready, he removes the mop that he had used to jam the hall door and cracks it open to look outside.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:00 am
by Laraqua
Murray reaches forward and pulls it open a crack, peering through into the corridor. It's dark, lightless out there, and he has to bring his flashlight to bear to see the blood smeared footprints on the floor. The prints are large, flat, and wider than they should be, but before he can pull the door shut or get a better view, or whichever it is that he would like to do, there's a sudden crashing weight against the door that springs it open and knocks Murray back several steps.

The man that staggers through the door is no man. He has no features but for suppurating, pus-slick wounds, as though he's been a long time rotting, riddled with wounds and crawling with maggots. He's larger than Murray, towering over him, even as he twitches, and the flesh upon his bones writhes as though each muscle were independent and latched to the bone in strange patterns beneath the fat and the skin. The stench flows into the room, filling it, and making Murray struggle not to gag. Craig whimpers, struggling weakly to slide back on the floor.
Show,with Strength 7 for Murray, it's Strength 18 gave it at automatic success on the resistance chart. Con x 5 roll to avoid the side effects of the stench. Sanity roll 1 / 1d6 to avoid the horror that is this entity (be glad its Silent Hill, in the usual CoC this sight would have a far higher cost). If you succeed on the Con x 5 roll, you get to act first due to your higher Dexterity.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray withstands the horrible smell and does his best not to think about the creature in front of him. Reacting instinctively, he raises his revolver and fires. With the thing this close, he can't help but hit it, and the bullet does some decent damage.
OOC,I get two shots per round. Do I get my second shot before it acts?

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:33 am
by Laraqua
Black blood and pus flick from it as the bullets burrow home but nothing beyond further twitches of muscle reveal any sign of pain. Nothing human could withstand those shots without falling, screaming to the ground. Nothing human could continue to barrel forward, as though it were entirely unaffected by the bullets. Its torso twists in an inhuman fashion and its head swivels around, slamming toward Murray but missing by a hair's whisker. How can something like this exist? There is nothing in any documentary or non-fiction book that comes close to describing its stench or unholy appearance.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Murray doesn't have time to think. All he can do is keep firing, for if he does not bring this thing down, both he and Craig are dead meat. His third bullet buries itself in its horrific flesh, again giving it a wound that should fell a mortal man.
OOC,Does that kill it? If not, I'll roll my second shot for this round.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:15 am
by Laraqua
The creature slumps to the floor in a pool of congealing black blood and pus that smells like nothing Murray has ever dealt with before. Craig stares at it, as it has fallen just to one side, and the door idly swings shut. So much has happened. So much has changed.

What the hell was that thing?

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

The stuff nightmares are made of... thinks Murray. He only now realizes how close he came to death. He absently reloads his revolver to replace the shots he fired. "We better get out of here," he mutters, his mind still numb. He scoops up Craig in a fireman's carry, keeping one hand free. He pushes the door open again and checks the hall, drawing his revolver and gingerly stepping over the hideous corpse.
OOC,I already rolled before to see if I could carry him, so I'm presuming I still can.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 am
by Laraqua
Spoiler:
Show, Absolutely you can still pick him up. Since you've rolled to see if it's possible, I'm happy to just go with that roll from now on for short stints, though it IS funny because you're very low Strength. Oh well, you obviously have the fireman hold down pat! Also, end of your first chapter so roll for skill increases and let me know if I've forgotten to check off anything. I am terrible disorganised like that. I'll open your next thread once you've done that.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yeah, I chalked it up to adrenalin in my description. I think you got all the skills I successfully used, and there were a lot of them. Conceal(15) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524114/]increased[/url] by [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524115/]7[/url] to 22 Craft(5) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524117/]increased[/url] by [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524118/]3[/url] to 8 Fast Tak(65) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524119/]did not increase[/url] First AId(30) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524120/]increased[/url] by [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524121/]6[/url] to 36 Listen(65) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524124/]increased[/url] by [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524127/]7[/url] to 72 Locksmith(61) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524129/]did not increase[/url] Photography(60) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524130/]did not increase[/url] Psychology(55) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524131/]increased[/url] by [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524132/]3[/url] to 58 Spot Hidden(75) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524134/]did not increase[/url] Handgun(60) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3524135/]did not increase[/url]