Page 1 of 1

CHAPTER ONE: Travis' Journey: Arrival

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:04 am
by Laraqua

Travis' new home is everything the Real Estate land agent had promised. A cozy, one-storey property cheap enough to purchase in the residential area the locals referred to as Old Silent Hill. It was sparkling with a fresh paint job that left the weatherboard walls and picket fence positively gleaming white. The plants in the window boxes were already in full bloom. Yes, it did have a certain grandma quality to it but its low, low price, two fireplaces (one in the master bedroom and one in the living room), surprisingly large living room and two bedrooms with walk in robes (one would make a fantastic study with a good view of the nicely kept back yard) made it a premium grab. It was larger than it appeared since it stretched back a way through the back yard. It had been recently painted inside, too, with nice, warm cream walls and new caramel-colored carpet. Since it was on 14 Bradbury Street, he could get a view of the lake just by stepping outside and looking left (east on the map, left when your facing away from your house) towards Toluca Lake.

Tavis finished directing the rather gruff and surly delivery men to place the heavier items of furniture in the right spots, paid them the final few notes, and sent them back off the way they came. There were plenty of boxes that needed unpacking but for now everything was reasonably in its place. It was 3.30PM and he had an early morning appointment the following day at Midwich Elementary School to start figuring out the new plans to set up a preschool program in a small attached unit of the school grounds.

Another fantastic thing about Bradbury street. It was within easy walking distance of the school.

Re: Travis' Journey: Arrival

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:21 am
by Laine
"I really do appreciate you help, gentlemen. Have a good day."

He smiles to them as he closes the door as they leave. He is used to be being friendly and only hopes to be accepted in his new home. He always admired the strength and prowess of his friends but he had a feeling of insecurity, since as a young child he had always depended on others to protect him from his tormentors; now, he was on his own in a new place without the safety nets he was used to. Still, a sense of optimism was in the air, he looked forward to starting his new position as the Teacher Director of the Pre-K program at Midwich.

Having just completed unpacking he puts on his sweater and jacket and heads out the door for a stroll along the lake side.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:22 am
by Laraqua
The bright blue sky has a mere scattering of clouds scudding towards the horizon and each is reflected in the azure blue of the incredibly clear waters of what turned out to be a river rather than a lake. Perhaps the Real Estate Agent hadn't been as upfront with him as he might have liked. No matter, it's still a reasonable hike to the lake judging by the map that sits behind glass in the tourist information booth to the right of the bridge that leads to Central Silent Hill. Surrounding the map are a number of information brochures about things to see and do in Silent Hill and he has plenty of time to get to know the place. The air is a little cool, a little crisp, but the sun is strong and warm on his back.

Apparently there's due to be a play performed by the Silent Hill Historical Society at Artaud Theatre in a week's time. It's called: "The Truth Is What You Make Of It" and it's about the lives of five neighbours and how they all see the same events differently.

The Balkan Church welcomes new Protestants to the area and points out that they have a morning tea on Saturday mornings and after Sunday services.

Alchemilla Hospital is looking for more volunteers as Visitor Guides and in the Palliative Care services.

Andy's Bookstore is holding a sale on paperback novels. The author, Walter Desmond, who writes dark fantasy tales in the Clive Barker bent will also be doing a signing there while he's on holidays in Silent Hill.

Pete's Bowl-o-Rama is having a Family Fun Day special starting tomorrow.

Travis' reading is interrupted by a childish giggle coming from behind the sign.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:55 am
by Laine
Travis balked at the idea of attending church, his family never had religious beliefs I the western Christian sense. However the idea of volunteering appealed to him. Perhaps he could do portraits or provide an artistic outlet for bed ridden patients. His parents never really did tell him exactly what his health conditions were." You just need to get better, sweety" his mother would tell him. Painting became his way of expressing his frustration with not being able to run and play like the other kids did. Often times he could hear their laughter outside his window. His memories of the fun of other children while he was ill seemed very vivid and infact he thought he was recalling these memories until he realized that laughter he heard was real.

Perhaps a future student of mine, but they would surely be with their caregiver and not alone

He thought to himself as he stepped towards the sign and gave an unthreatening:

"Hello?"

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:28 am
by Laraqua

"Boo!" growls a little girl, leaping around the sign post at him. "Gotchya!" She throws her head back and cackles madly, nearly losing her hat. She grabs it firmly to keep it on her head. She looks to be about 7 years old so likely a student at Midwich Elementary School but far too old for preschool. She stops laughing suddenly and cocks her head to one side. "Oh, you're not..." She scuffs the ground with her toe. "Sorry, I thought you were someone else. But you're not. How rude of me!"

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 am
by Laine
Travis stumbles backwards and nearly loses his footing at the display of youthful exuberance by the young girl.

"No, you're fine, I work with children younger than you, so usually they don't apologize when they jump on me."

It's not her energy that bothers him, but rather the lack of a parent or caregiver being present. She shouldn't be out by herself, but then perhaps he would have done the same when he was her age(if he had been able to) and also this is a small town so even a girl of her age would presumably be safe. Still it was concerning.

"No, I guess I am not who you were hoping for. Are you looking for someone in particular? Are you alone here?

He didn't mean to sound like a worried, old mother but he was concerned.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:51 am
by Laraqua
"Alone?" She taps her lower lip with an index finger, twirling the red rose around in her other hand. "Um, I don't think so. You're here, aren't you? Silly man!" She smiles at him. "You are here, right?"

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 am
by Laine
In the literal sense she was correct, but then often times in abusivse situations children learn how to redirect others or even to lie on their abuser's behalf.
How many times did I say my dad had the flu when he was really drunk again?

"Yes, you're right I am here. My name is Travis and I just moved here. What is your name if I may ask?"

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:11 am
by Laraqua
"Casey. Um, no, wait. Jessica!" She seems inordinately proud of herself with her response which seemed strange. She was obviously lying and kids of that age would be well aware of how transparent the lie appeared. She turned and gestured toward the river. "I'd like to go visit the Amusement Park but I'm not allowed to go on my own. Will you take me there?" She gazes back up at you and clasps her hands together around the rose stem (luckily it appears to have been plucked of thorns). "Pretty please?"

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:19 am
by Laine
Travis kneels down in order to be able to meet the child on her own eye level. Though he finds it odd that she'd lie about her name he decides to not confront her on it.

"Casey, the amusement park does sound fun"
I've never been to one

"But, we don't know each other and your parents should be the ones to take you to it. Do you know where they are?"

The child's lack of boundaries was distressing to him.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27 am
by Laraqua
It's also odd because the girl is quite well-dressed but the expectation is that it's the poorer, more visibly neglected children who have such poor boundaries. The girl takes a couple steps backward when he gets down on his knees. "Um, okay, I guess, but what if that means I'll never go?" She sighs, then smiles mischeviously at him. "I can't go without an adult and my parents should take me but won't so I guess you should take me?" She grabs hold of his hand and drags at him. "C'mon, c'mon, it's over the bridge and then south. I wanna Ronnie Rabbit and you can win me one and it'll be grrrrreat! Ooh, ooh, can I go on the roller coaster? Can I? Can I? Please!"

"Ahem!" coughs a woman's voice behind you.

The girl frowns. "Oh no! Don't look! Just ignore her and she'll go away."

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:40 am
by Laine
To some extent he understood the concern of not being able to live out a childhood.
I remember my friends coming back from the amusement park, I was so jealous. I remember feeling envious when they'd go and leave me behind. Calvin would always bring me back something he won for me. He did it so he could show he cared, but I remember always thinking he brought it back to me to show off and that he did it to make me feel even more not part of their group

Before he could respond to the girl he heard the cough of the woman.

OCC: Does Casey seem afraid? His reaction may depend alot on the child's body language and demeanor.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:58 am
by Laraqua
Your empathy with Casey and her feelings makes her easy for you to read. She seems to be a little afraid, though not specifically of the woman, but of what the woman represents. She mostly seems to feel resentment and a loss of some grand opportunity. You don't believe that it's the mother standing behind you but it is some sort of authority figure. You're pretty sure Casey is trying to escape into some sort of Fantasy Land (as children are wont to do when they're feeling miserable or trapped) and the woman behind you is sure to pull her out of it and take her back. If you don't look, and therefore don't acknowledge the authority figure, she believes that you might still go with her and show her the Amusement Park.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:20 am
by Laine
Though he acknowledges the unease of the situation and the apprehension tha Casey feels he still feels like he must respond to the person behind him. He gets up off his knees and turns to look and makes sure that he is positioned between the girl and woman.

"Hello, I suppose you must know this girl?"

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:02 am
by Laraqua

A female police officer stands beside a police car, one arm lazily draped over the door. "Well, considering I've been looking for her for the past two hours ... again ... this month ... yes, yes, I know her." She sighs and arches an eyebrow at the girl. "Come on, let's get you back to your mother and father. You know they're worried sick about you."

Casey shakes her head. "No, I don't wanna!"

"You take after your mother, you know that?" The woman smiles. "Come on, don't make me chase you. You know you need to go back to your folks. Now stop bugging the nice man and come with me."

"Okaaay," mutters Casey, hanging her head and heading to the police officer.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:11 am
by Laine
"Hello officer, my name is Travis Jates, I have just moved here. It's reassuring to know our streets are safe. Though I wonder, why one would run away not once, but twice in a month."

He steps to the side as Casey walks towards the officer.

"It was nice to meet you, Casey. I do hope you get to go the amusement park. I do hear they can be quite fun."

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am
by Laraqua
"No problem, I'm Officer Cybil Bennett," the policewoman says with a nod. "Now c'mon kiddo, you can ride shotgun."

"Maybe you can take me to the Amusement Park later," Casey says, both hopefully and brightly. She hops into the front seat and gives a little wave. "You have to come visit me."

"Only if your parents are all right with that."

Casey scowls. "Aww!"

"Looks like you made a friend, Travis," says Cybil, hopping into the police car. She turns in her seat to look back at Casey. "Now buckle up, sweetheart, we'll have you back at the hospital in no time at all."

At that, she starts up the car and starts doing a U-Turn to head back over the bridge. It's at that point that Travis realizes he hadn't heard her pull up. She was parked on gravel, after all, surely he wasn't that deaf or single-minded?

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:42 pm
by Laine
"Thank you Officer Bennett and it was nice to meet you Casey."

He waves to them as they leave and turns to head back towards his home. Even the stroll down the street left his legs feeling tired, the walk to the lake may have to wait for another day.

I wouldn't have been able to run away had I wanted to(there were many times I did). I hated being in and out of the hospital, so I can't blame her. I hope her parents are there for her at least and it sounds like they are.

He walks back down the street and turns to look at the police car as it continues to drive away.

I can't believe I didn't hear the car pull up, maybe she was already parked near by. I can't be going deaf.
OOC,Should I be roleplaying my characters low physical stats? I am not sure exactly what his limitations are as far as being able to walk for distances. I know 6s are low, but is it to the point where it impairs basic physical movements?

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:10 pm
by Laraqua
Heading home sounds like a good idea. He could always spend the evening unpacking things and getting ready for tomorrow. Perhaps go to bed early and get up bright and early tomorrow. Alternatively, he could go out in his car and take a look around if he felt up to it.
OOC,It'd suggest he'd require a few rests as his Constitution is 2 points under average - which is 8-10 in Call of Cthulhu rather than the 10-11 in D&D due to the 3d6 rather than 4d6 - choose the highest three system. Other than that, he should be okay. Of course, you could roleplay it however you'd like.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 am
by Laine
Travis walks slowly back to his house.

This is a raging mess.. I can't deal with this right now, but there is always the weekend.

The one thing he will unpack are his paints and a piece of recyclable paper. He wants to capture the sense of childhood that apparently is being denied to this girl just as it did to him. Though this painting he hopes to portray the freedom of a carnival.

However, the artwork reminds him of something a child would paint in rush infact he's seen better from his own students in the past.

In frustration he crumples the paper and decides to make some tea.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:09 am
by Laraqua
The tea boils rather admirably and he gets settled down to a nice cup of tea, surrounded by towering boxes. If he doesn't unpack the things in the kitchen, at least, he'll need to eat out but he doesn't know anyplace that'd be open. Of course, it's tourist season so there should be several places open. Just as he's feeling settled, he hears the voices of the neighbours rise up in angry agitation. He can't hear much of what they're saying but what he can hear is rather disturbing. Apparently, the woman is heading off with her friends because her husband is such a lazy bum and the man's angry because she's never around, anyway, always down the pub, so what can she expect from him? Other than that, the voices are just an angry burble.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:46 am
by Laine
Travis pours his tea rather quickly and heads towards the window and attempts to peer out the window from behind the curtains to get a visual on the situation.

I haven't been here a day, but here I am already being a nosey neighbor(I've heard fights like this before). I suppose the tea and dinner can wait for now.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 am
by Laraqua
The woman marches out onto the front stoop, wooden floorboards clearly squeaking underfoot, when a man's hand grabs her by the wrist and shakes her a bit. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" grunts the man's voice. "Where you going? Back to Annie's Bar, huh? Bet you'd like that! Think I ain't heard?" The man comes out on the front stoop behind her. He's a big man, arms bulging with muscle from unused aggression. There's an implied threat just in those muscles, but he hasn't done anything. He gives her arm a little shake and growls something that you just make out the words: "Some bloke from Annie's Bar, that right?"

She scoffs at him and pulls her hand free. "What is with husbands blaming bartenders for everything? I mean, that's like ... gah! Y'know, I really thought you would have a bit more respect for the-"

"Yeah, you're right." The man slumps. "Look, let's not fight out here, all right? Let's just go inside and talk about our problems. Heaven knows we have enough of them. Besides, we've a new neighbour and the last thing we want is for him to get a bad impression of us. Tomorrow you were going to take him a pudding, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, I was." She draws in a deep breath. "Can't have him confuse a little fight for Silent Hill inhospitality, right?"

"Right. Now c'mon inside." He puts a hand on her shoulder and leads her inside. "Gotta hand it to that Jack. He made a mean cocktail."

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:52 pm
by Laine
At least they're able to talk things through, but then my parents always talked, exploded, and talked again..No matter where you go there is a family or a couple going through these problems. It's important not to judge, god knows I've had my own difficulties..

He leaves the window and decides to unpack his kitchen supplies, but he has little left in him to use much more than a can opener and a pot. After he has completed his dinner he will get ready for bed.

I have a long day tomorrow. I have to meet with the school district team and I am sure they are going to want to focus on academic readiness, self regulation and other various forms of killing off our children's ability to think critically. If only we could all be as divergent with our thinking as 4 year old is.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 pm
by Laraqua
It's at least simple to unpack the bedroom blankets and pillows and set up his bed. It's still feels pretty early (even at 9 pm) so it takes him awhile to finally feel the last dregs of sleep coming over him. The combat the warmth of the room (it's oddly warm, considering the rest of the house), the last thing he does before falling asleep is turn on the ceiling fan. He dreams of shadows flitting across wallpaper and someone scratching against the bricks behind his headboard from the other side. It's a strangely terrifying dream that seems to last for hours before finally he awakens, not with a scream but with a dull moan. The alarm on his mobile phone is singing at him to get up. Looks like its 7 AM. He has the meeting at 9 AM and it's not far away but he still needs to unpack his clothes to get everything ready.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:52 am
by Laine
OOC,Travis wouldn't own a cell phone. Rather generally speaking he's pretty much into a natural rythm of going to bed and waking up by 6:00. However, perhaps someone important to him gave it to him before he moved to Silent Hill
It wasn't a good night to have nightmares..Too much to do today and can't afford to not be prepared. I don't even know where to begin with this mess of a place. I hate that god damn cell phone, but then I guess perhaps Calvin did want to know how to get a hold of me. Why should he still care about me after all we've put eachother through.

While contemplating, Travis moves through his boxes and looks for those labeled with his clothes and teaching portfolio over various crafts, nature activities and documentation of children's activities.

After he has eaten he will atempt to paint a representation of his nightmare and will attempt to recall anything he can from it. However, his painting comes off as contrived and dull.

It seems like a girl in highschool going through her goth phaze would have painted this..I guess I really am not at my greatest creative capacity.
Painting Roll,http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3308768/
After drinking his morning tea and grabbing his bag he will head out the door.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 am
by Laraqua
OOC,That's cool. Perhaps give me a list of his little quirks that might come up? Oh, and you never named your family members. Could you add that to your history? At present, I don't know who Calvin is. :)
To make matters worse, Calvin did give him a fairly expensive cell phone which is therefore trickier to sort out. Hence why it went off at 7 AM when Calvin likely set it rather than at 6 AM when he normally wakes up. Normally it wouldn't matter since he'd wake up before the cell phone, but today he slept past his normal hour, likely because of the nightmares. Perhaps it was a good gift, after all, because Travis feels tired enough that he might have slept through the meeting if he'd been given the chance. Time passes and it quickly nears the time to get ready and head down to Midwich Elementary School. Outside, the skies are clear and sunny. It looks to be another warm day in sunny Silent Hill (which is what the radio broadcaster says from the loud radio in next door's shed when he finally heads out).

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:46 am
by Laine
With everything in hand he takes a quick stroll to the front entrance of Midwich. He notes the rather traditional play equipment.

Can't we get these children some climbing logs or anything less one dimensonal than these out dated play ground pieces? If I had the chance to play I would have been in the woods everyday.

He walks up to the front desk to sign in with the school receptionist. He tries to look as motivated and untired as possible.

"Good morning, I am Mr. Jates and I am here for my appointment with the coordinator of the Pre-K program.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 am
by Laraqua

Midwich Elementary School has no visible playground equipment from the front and with its high two-storey menacing stone walls and little windows it appears to be somewhat of a fortree. But for the school bus parked out front in the parking bay and the big stone sign saying: Midwich Elementary School that is surrounded by hedgerows and trees, you wouldn't think it was a school at all. Oh well, hopefully the lanscaped hedgerows pass for a fence here. That would be nice. You're pretty sure the hedge rows define some sort of an oval.

You come up the steps beneath its imposing stone front entryway that would look less out place in an older town. By all accounts, Silent Hill is relatively young, having sprung into being in the late 17th or early 18th century (or so said the eager receptionist, Ms. Latham, when you first spoke to her) and pull open one of the heavy wooden doors to step inside the lobby.

A ceiling fan whooshes by overhead, moving the stale warm air around in lazy circles as you step across the brown linoleum floor that does little to dampen the echoes of your footfalls as you head for the next set of double doors that give way to the actual entry area.

To the left is the Reception desk where a young woman sits, jotting down an attendance record as an obviously late child meekly offers up a letter of explanation from his mother. She accepts the letter and sends him off with a casual shake of her hand, before turning back to her attendance record. There's obviously no sign of a computer for the receptionist here. "Just a minute," she says, as she copies some details from the letter into her ledger in a painstakingly careful handwriting. It looks like her hands have a slight case of the shakes.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:20 am
by Laine
"It's quite alright, I am probably early anyway."

He'll let her complete her tasks and will look around the lobby for any displays of artwork, a newsletter or documentation of class projects, pictures of the staff or any other such displays.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:45 am
by Laraqua

She looks up after a few moments, not giving you any time to really take in the rather sterile (in a grimy sorta way) atmosphere. The bleak walls and old brown linoleum really compete to give this place a slightly decrepit vibe. They obviously don't pay as much attention to their schools as they do to their well-painted and beautiful storefronts. You can see that there's a calender behind her and a sign about how children should all show up to the receptionist before going to their classes and before leaving the school to go get picked up. It seems like a strange custom.

"Early?" she asks. "Oh, you're Mr. Yates, I presume? You're here to meet Principal Ross."

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:57 am
by Laine
When I wrote my thesis on how the public school hasn't changed since the Missionary Schools, I should have come to Silent Hill to support my arguement. I can't let that get in the way though, perhaps a fresh perspective will make a difference here where it needed.

"Yes, Ms. Latham, I am here to meet with Principal Ross to discuss the Pre-K program. Was hoping to get a good start to ur program here, as I am sure the parents of our community will appreciate the new program and I want everything ready to go when the children start to attend."

He attempts to look excited(but not over eager) and doesn't want her to notice any look of dissapointment in regards to the priorities(or lack of) of the Silent Hill community.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:03 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Latham flashes him a bright smile. "Oh, good, good! We can't wait to see what sort of plans you have here. It's a small school. We've only got a few classrooms and we only have around 100 students here at the moment. That's our capacity. But we're hoping to expand. What sort of plans do you have, by the way? Oh, if you don't mind my asking."

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:34 am
by Laine
"Well, we've just received funding from the State Deparment of Education and federal stimulus funds to open up a Pre-K classroom here. I do believe Principal Ross advocated quite admirably for the Silent Hill School District. Anyway, my approach is very Reggio inspired, we take the interests of the children and guide them through long term projects that meet our Early Learning Standards in all the required areas from Literacy and Math throught Social-Emotional development."

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:14 am
by Laraqua
"Oh," she said, her smile faltering slightly. "It's the weirdest thing, really. Teaching pre-schoolers how to read, write, and additions and subtractions always seemed a bit weird for me. I mean, three and four-year-olds aren't really equipped for that, are they? Won't they just get frustrated and come to hate school? I thought it'd be more about finger painting and getting used to school and coming to love it?" She frowns. "I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? I'm sorry."

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 am
by Laine
" I understand what you are saying, certainly. My classrooms are for from route learning and chanting the ABCs. Infact my approach is just the opposite. There are developmentally apporpriate ways to teach all these subjects to children. Our children should think in a critical manner. Seems like we agree in most areas. You'd be suprised of the capabilites of some children; their focus can be amazing if you give them something they are interested in."

Travis looks towards the door the hallways of the school.

"I appreciate you view points very much, Ms. Latham. I suppose we should let Principal Ross know I am here?

I really didn't mean for her to misunderstand me like that. If I can't even get my relate my teaching philosophy to the receptionist than how are bad are things with Mr. Ross going to be? God, this place freaks me out. It's not even just a sterile environment, it's a depressing one.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:52 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Latham cheers up somewhat with a friendly smile. "Then I think you'll like Principal Ross. He's trying to inculcate a bit more of a safe, learning environment for our children. I mean, if you can't feel good as a child, then when can you feel good?" She goes over to the telephone and lifts it to her ear, tapping in three numbers. "Principal Ross? Yes, I have a Mr. Yates here to see you. Yes, of course. The staff lounge? Certainly." She hangs up the telephone. "Please, come right this way." She waves you through the doorway into the reception room and then opens a door into what is presumably to be the staff lounge. There's a wide landscape painting hanging off the back wall and a couple of old yellow couches facing each other over a coffee table. "If you'll just wait in here please."

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:55 am
by Laine
"Thank you for showing me hear Ms. Latham.

Travis will sit at one of the chairs and will pull out his portofilio and flip through the pages of photographs of various class projects over the last couple years.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:01 am
by Laraqua
There is very little else in the room other than a folded up newspaper with some sort of paper sticking out of it and a clock on the wall. Ms. Latham excuses herself and leaves him, reassuring him that the principal just needs to tidy up a few things and should be down in a couple minutes. The couch itself is one of those vinyl-covered overstuffed couches that you just can't get comfortable on.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:57 pm
by Laine
Travis finishes flipping through his portfolio and places it on the coffee table.

Everyone has their own cultural concept of time, but I guess I regret that my parents always told me to arrive earlly.

He eyes the newspaper and decideds to pick it up and read in order to pass the time.

I guess I should get to know this place a bit better..

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:28 am
by Laraqua
The newspaper itself seems to talk mostly about the local news. There's some details about the wonderful theatrical production being put on and how the director, Albert Keene is quite a capable director and playwright of some cheerfully macarbe tales that entwine deeper meaning and great subtext within works set in your normal, contemporary life. It mentions the horror writer who's coming to Silent Hill (the newspaper is almost a week old) and will be at Andy's Bookstore, there's the usual array of advertisements, a review of the local pubs that states Annie's Bar is a cozy place has a tradition of serving highly alcoholic drinks, that Neely's Bar is too small to comfortably be called thus and should really be called a Booze Cafe, that the Shepherd's Glen Inn is always full of cantankerous old men, and that the Brahm's Hotel is the best place to drink if you want a nice atmosphere but don't want to pay the high prices of the Lakeside Hotel's restaurant. There's also information on the Brahms Highschool Football Team's successes, something about an investigation into "PTV" dealers that continues but there've been no further suspicious deaths since 2004's spates of mysterious deaths (such as the anti-drug mayor and the narcotics officer, Gucci, who died of a sudden heart failure of unknown origin).

The paper inside seems to be a brochure:

Welcome to Silent Hill!
Silent Hill, a quite little
lakeside resort town.
We're happy to have you.
Take some time out of your busy
schedules and enjoy a nice restful
vacation here.

Row after row of quaint old houses,
a gorgeous mountain landscape, and
a lake which shows different sides
of its beauty with the passing of the
day, from sunrise to late afternoons
to sunset.

Silent Hill will move you and fill
you with a feeling of deep peace.
I hope your time here will be
pleasant and your memories will
last forever.

Editor: Roger Widmark

Scrawled over it in black biro are the words: Too many tourists. Not enough residents. Advertise family friendly? Nice housing prices?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:35 am
by Laine
Well this isn't the first town I've been in that's had drug problems..I wonder what kind of outreach and treatment options there are here? For such a seemingly picturesque town it does seem like Silent Hill isn't free of the issues many larger cities face..

When he is down reading the paper he will get up and check the time on the clock that's in the staff lobby. He will also look out any windows to see if there are any people outside or evidence of anyone else being present in the building.

Schools are usually places of high intensity and lots of people, this one seems oddly quiet and inactive.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:41 am
by Laraqua
There's no windows in this room. In fact, from the outside it really didn't look like there were all that many windows on the bottom floor. At least, not ouside of the classrooms judging by his own observations and the map he'd been given. He did arrive after all of the children should have filtered inside but there still is normally a lot more energy and excitement. When he heads out into the main area to check the clock (he must've left that cellphone at home), he sees Ms. Latham bent over a ledger, pencilling in details, with a book catalogue beside her. It looks like she's purchasing books for the children. "Yes?" she asked as he comes out.

I'ts 9.25AM.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:46 am
by Laine
"Oh, I am sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. I was just checking on the time.."

He seems a little insecure and hopes he didn't disturb her.

"What kind of books are you ordering if you don't mind me asking?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:50 am
by Laraqua
"At the moment I'm picking some fantasy fiction and poetry books and probably a few more how-to-write books. We like to build on the children's creativity and imagination and we don't currently have any books of that nature in the library, which is a shame. Y'know what it's like when you get different sorts of principals one after another..." She goes quiet and you can tellthat she has more to say but has decided against it.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:56 am
by Laine
"I understand, I've been in schools where they couldn't keep a principal for more than a school year. That kind of discontinuity can make it pretty stressful on the rest of the staff. That must be difficult for you especially since you most likely do all the appointment making and the day to day operations that make a school like this run..

He doesn't try to overtly ask for my information, but hopes by being sympathetic that she may open up more.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 am
by Laraqua
Travis' sympathetic words and obvious misunderstanding of the situation (which is an easy mistake to make, really) prompts her perfectly.

"Ahh, no, that's not..." She looks pained for a moment, then glances left and right before craning forward to say in a low voice: "Well, no, Principal Roseworthy had been here for a good twenty five years. It's just that she always preferred safety over freedom so she curtailed a lot of childish activity. We didn't have a playground. We just have that walled in courtyard. She... A lot of the principals have been like her through the years. Midwich is an old school and it was actually built around principles of the old fortifications. Small windows, generally. High stone walls that surround a central courtyard. Even the clocktower, really. I mean, we have a sportsfield out the back of the school and a playground of sports equipment but it wasn't easy to access it. You actually have to go out the front doors and then around the sides."

"Well, she was always a bit like that but after several horrible incidents with our students about ten or so years ago she became resolute that children's hyperactive imaginations were to blame. She firmly believed that a lot of the pain they were being caused came from their thoughts and beliefs bleeding through into their actions and staining the world. Those were the words she used. Bleeding through and staining the world. She said they'd just get themselves hurt. She was the one that instilled the checking in and out process and why we don't have any computers. She couldn't stand to leave anything up to electronic decision-making. Of course, in the end she locked up the school and refused to let their parents take them home. No one got hurt but there were a lot of frightened people. She was committed to Brookhaven about a year ago."

"I've worked under her for about 10 years as her receptionist and general assistant. I'm actually in charge of the library though I have a volunteers from the students to help me. Principal Ross is quite different from her. He's more steady and more open to new ideas."

She stops talking and turns her attention back to the book. She obviously has more to say on the subject but doesn't really want todivulge this information.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:12 am
by Laine
Hmm..I mean I've heard of lock down from violent individuals on school ground, but against the children's own parents? Imagination doesn't hurt us, it is a freeing experience to make believe. That is unless at times there is trauma in real life and then it comes through in the play and story telling of children.

He has a look of concern on his face.

"You must have a lot of resilience to work here after that, it's reassuring to have passionate people here. Anyway, I better get back to the staff lobby, I don't want to inconvience the principal"

He gives her one last smile and heads back to the lounge.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Latham smiles gratefully as you turn to go. "Yes, you'd better do that. Principal Ross isn't normally late. He's just dealing with one of the parents who can be a little ... difficult. He'll be out soon. I'm sure of it."

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:35 am
by Laine
"Thank you, Ms. Latham."

On his way Travis again will look for any displays of classroom projects or look for any signs of activity in the school. He doesn't want to appear snoopy, but will glance through any classroom door that may be open or if there's a class door with a window that as well.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:41 am
by Laraqua

Travis spots a map of the school done by a child's hand as he heads back into the small waiting area that is apparently between the Reception Office and the Principal's Office (but isn't depicted on this map, at least - a new partition, perhaps?). If he wants to peek into the rest of the school, he'd have to leave the Reception Area to take a look around. Alternatively, if he wants to snoop, he could always listen in to whatever conversation is actually occuring in the principal's office through the door.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:47 am
by Laine
I haven't been to a school where the children took it onto themselves to create a map of the school. Perhaps a project to shed light on the children's perspective of their learning environment.

He leans towards the wall seperating himself from the principals office.

How many times have a put my ear against the wall in my life?
Listen Roll,http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3310186/ 37
He can hear the voice of the Principal through the wall and in an odd way it reminds him of listening in on his parent's agruements.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:55 am
by Laraqua
"What do you think I've been doing all of these years?" snarls a gravelly male voice. "I have been trying to do my best to enforce the traditions-"

"We hold nothing but respect for traditions here at Midwich Elementary School but I do believe it is time we move this school forward into the New Millenium," says a calm man's voice. "Computers are the key to an active education. Once they leave this school, they will need to know how to use computers. It's only natural that we bring Information Technology onto the school grounds."

"And you're going to increase class sizes to squeeze those computers in?" snapped the man's voice.

"At present, we've aimed for 15 students per classroom and while that's an admirable aim, it's more important for us to be able to hold computer classes for the children."

"And this Kindergarten crap, where's that gonna go? Going to mash up two other classrooms for that?"

"Class sizes of 30 will be no problem at all to our students. In fact, we hope to be able to keep children in Silent Hill attending Midwich until Grade 6 rather than sending them over to Brahms. Wouldn't it be better if they didn't need to commute to go there?"

"This isn't the last you'll hear of this. The parenting committee will not stand for it!"

"Well, I hope in time you'll come to see this school's vision as I do," says the principal sweetly.

The man huffs and starts marching towards the door. Luckily, Travis is well-practised in moving fast away from doors to hop back onto the seat like nothing ever happened.
OOC,It was a Hide check I rolled. Seemed the most fitting.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:26 am
by Laine
Travis stands up and acknowledges both men with a nod of his head. Though he wishes to say something he also does not want to interrupt either person.

I actually kind of agree with the man from the parenting committee. Children should learn by interacting with their enviornments and experiencing life first hand rather than being behind a computer screen all day. Though we do live in a world where you have to be computer literate.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 am
by Laraqua

One man just stomps off out of the room and through the reception desk, not even bothering to acknowledge Ms. Latham's good-natured farewell. You can practically feel the anger coming off of him in waves. Oh well, at least he hadn't turned that glare onto you.

The principal steps into the doorway and gives you a friendly little wave. "Well, c'mon in Mr. Yates. I'm hoping you're not cross with me for the lateness but, err, Mr. Campbell's none too keen about some of our proposed changes." He gestures for you to come into his office which is a mess of paperwork, multiple filing cabinets, and the latest gadgetry. He's obviously outfitted his office to be technologically superior with a sleek black desktop computer, printer/fax machine/photocopier, an iPad AND a Blackberry. "Please, sit, sit." He gestures to one of the swivel chairs. Thankfully, both the chairs are the same height, though the office is too cramped for him to do anything but sit behind his desk to talk to you. "So ... how's things?"

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:48 am
by Laine
"Thank you Principal Ross I don't mind waiting at all. Sounds like you have passionate advocates in the community."

He smiles and sits down in the seat infront of of the desk.

"Things have been very nice since I got here. I managed to take a walk along the creekside and have been able to meet a few of my neighbors. I just live down the street from here, infact. I am very excited to begin here and am eager to get your input on the direction you'd like us to go with the Pre-K program."

The excess of technology is bothersome..Isn't he aware of all the studies linking cell phones with cancer?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:49 am
by Laraqua
"Well, first I'd like to hear your vision. You do have a vision, don't you? I mean, it's a pain when everyone's visions collide but you can't just be at it higgeldy piggeldy. So first, you advise me. Where do you see this project going? What is the ideal scenario here?" He also gestures a lot to enunciate the point.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 am
by Laine
"I believe children learn though exploring their environment and learning how things work through play. Children especially at the ages of 3-5 learn through their play, interactions with eachother and the role modeling they see from their caregivers.
When you give a child an object to explore and do not directly instruct them on what it does their cognitive development is both age appropriate and prepares them for the adult and modern world.

Travis attempts to appear opptumistic and cheerful. He then proceeds to take out his binder displaying children's projects that range from extensive art work that is then documented and displayed, a project called "Our Brige", which focuses on a bridge that children have added musical features to(wind chimes), sticks to hit various parts of the bridge with and other ways to explore the various features of what before was just a plain foot path, but was now pronunced feature of a local park.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:08 am
by Laraqua
Principal Ross seems reasonably impressed by the conversation but it obviously hits a sour note somewhere along the line because his nose crinkles up a little. "That bridge sounds like it'd take up a lot of room. And it'd be expensive! How would we finance that? And how many children were you thinking we could bring on board? I have about 20 preschool children on a list somewhere." He starts rummaging around in his drawers. "We could fit 20 kids, couldn't we?"

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:11 am
by Laine
"That is exactly why community outreach is important. We were able to contact the local Parks and Recreation department of the city and they allowed us access to the bridge for the project. You won't believe what an involved community is capable of."

He doesn't let the misunderstanding of the Principal bother him.

"20 children is the typical number of children enrolled into Head Starts or school district Pre-K programs within our state."

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:14 am
by Laraqua
"Oh, good, good," says Principal Ross, immediately cheering up. "So we could have more children than 20, right? Perhaps 30 in the end? We're hoping this'll be a growing community after all." He frowns a bit, as the line about communities pulling together obviously hits another sour note. "I don't know if it's such a good idea... Silent Hill is a very conservative community. It's best not to try to rely overly much on the other agencies."

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:17 am
by Laine
"Hmm..I understand that a lot of communites are facing difficulties. I feel like you have a vision as well and sometimes in order to best serve our children and communities we have to take risks as educators."

He tries not to look nerve racked.

My father never had faith in me either. He always said I was weak and too girly, that I'd cry too much about being sick

"Speaking of other agencies, what support networks and services are available to our students and their families?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:37 am
by Laraqua
Principal Ross nods eagerly at those first lines. "My thoughts exactly! It's just as with the new Computer Classes. People don't want change, especially parents, even when it's good for them. But we have to take risks! I knew you were a risk-taker just by looking at your resume. I knew you were the right man for the job."

"As to any other support networks, well, we've got a few volunteers that help out. A small volunteer force. Mostly retired women and the odd mother. Outside of that, well, it's a resort town and resort towns normally don't worry about their children too much. Heck, most of the kids around here are homeschooled. We should at least have a school of around 500 kids whereas right now we have about 128 kids. That's a huge number of kids that're just floating out there, learning who knows what?! So no, there's not a whole lot of respect for traditional schooling around here. Doesn't help that this place looks so medieval. I mean, this place should've expanded by now but there's been no council funding or state funding increases or anything because we're still under our maximum which is about double what we've got. To do any upgrades at all we've had to go with this preschool program which should hopefully fund a bit of an upgrade of the playground equipment, maybe, y'know, to get something that aren't splintery OH&S hazards."
OHS,OH&S means Occupational Health & Safety and involves risk assessments to prevent injuries at work. I don't know what America calls it, but we'll just pretend America calls it OH&S for simplicity's sake, yeah?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:47 am
by Laine
" I agree that it's very important to have a safe environment for children. At the same time children learn self regulation through taking risks within reason. I am glad that the new funding will allow the school to get some upgrades on our equipment. Hopefully we will able to get our enrollment numbers up as well."

"Where will the new classroom be located, Principal Ross??"

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:52 am
by Laraqua
"On the ground floor. I'll show you, if you like. Would you like the tour now, or later?"

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:53 am
by Laine
"Well perhaps we can continue our discussion as we take a walk. I am such a visual person, so it would be nice to see the class room environment."

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:24 am
by Laraqua
Principal Ross nods. "Oh wait, before we leave. Why Midwich Elementary School? I know I asked during the phone interview but, well, you know how things are when you're trying to get the job. You have to say certain things. But now you've gotten the job, why Midwich?"

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:31 am
by Laine
"Well I come from a much larger community. SIlent Hill seems like a nice change of pace from your average town in America. Besides the lack of over development gives us a lot of natural materials to work with."

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:36 am
by Laraqua
Principal Ross looks a little shame-faced. "Well, I might have lied about the number of homeschooled children in Silent Hill. It's actually a tiny town. Here, let me show you, in case you haven't seen it before." He pulls out a print out, as if by magic, from within a towering pile of paperwork (how could he know precisely were it sat?) and passes it to you. As you can see, there's none too many buildings. I mean, there's some farmland here and there, most of it off of that map, but still, not a whole lot of families and therefore not all that many children. Really Silent Hill supports a lot of the sleepier surrounding towns like Pleasant River and Shepherd's Glen. We have some *big* business going about but not all that much in the case of actual residential. It might have been different if the mine was still in operation, but it isn't."

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:03 am
by Laine
I didn't mean to make him feel insecure..really. Anyway, I never liked mines, it's probably better for everyone's sake that the mine is no longer in operations. I hope the tailings from the mine weren't dumped into the lake or anything like that.

"Thank you for the map, Principal. So, what can we do today that will have our classroom set up and running on time? I have some materials of my own I was hoping to use, but perhaps the education coordinator has some school district curriculum already in place?"

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:16 am
by Laraqua
"Err, we don't have a Pre-K program at present. I have already combined two of the Grade 1s classes into one so that we can use that room and it's been tidied up a bit but, well, I was more hoping you could tell me how we proceed in this. I can tell you a bit about this school. We have eight teachers full-time." He rattles off eight names, one of which is familiar. "One of them, Mrs. Latham, has lost her classroom so she's moved over to focus on Music, Library Duties, and administration which has been a welcome relief to me. Yes, she was always a bit of an eclectic anyway. We don't have a school canteen. They all bring their lunches from home."

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:46 am
by Laine
"Perhaps the faculty should have a meeting to discuss the priorities of the program and what resources we have at our disposal? I am sure between the staff we can determine what the goals of the new program should be and what the parents of our community want. I don't mind facilitating such a meeting for the staff and perhaps we can have parent input as well?"

I haven't heard of a school district this fractured before. Usually there is some Administrators from the State Department of Education that have a say in every step of the planning. I suppose I won't mind the freedom though.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:59 am
by Laraqua
"Well, what are the priorities of kindergarteners, really?" He scratches his head. "We just want to prepare them for school, really. Oh, and keep them safe and happy. Takes some of the weight out of the parent's hands as well. I mean, why don't you just tell us what you want to do and we can tell you if it's feasible? None of us have that much experience with children that young."

Backwater indeed. There's been no mention of being plagued by any Administrators from the State Department of Education whatsoever. It seems like they've been let off the leash. Curioser and curioser... Maybe that's why they have little to no funding?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:23 am
by Laine
Travis nods in understanding.

"I understand. We should start off at the ground level where we support social interaction through lots of free choice and play periods. There should be interest areas with art supplies, paper, scissors and crayons to promote fine motor development, block areas to develop understanding of spatial relationships, sand and water tables and a dramatic play area where children can act out there home lives. Really at this point it is about getting younger children to the point where the can socialize and play within a large group setting."

Long terms projects can wait, we ust need to make sure these kids don't kill eachother by the first grade..

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:45 am
by Laraqua
"Hmm, yes, that's exactly what I was thinking," says Principal Ross. "Feel our way forward and all that. Sounds like a plan. Now, let me show you around the school." He shows you the courtyard with its chalk Hopscotch markings and the benches and the neatly trimmed hedgerow and the antique clock tower with the little door at the bottom. He shows you the back foyer where the back doors were bricked over years ago and they just haven't the funding to remove the bricks. The teacher's lounge looks like a rather cramped office with desks along the walls and four cubicles in the middle which is where the teachers work. Not much of a teacher's lounge, really. Not so much as a couch. He shows you to your spot which is in one of the corners overlooking the rear brick wall. It would've been nice if they'd had windows but of course they don't. The lunch room is pretty plain. Just rows and rows of tables and chairs that crowd every inch of the room so that all of the children can eat inside when its rainy out there. There's not really enough room for 120 kids but apparently if no one can go outside, the classes take it in turns to eat lunch. Half the school at a time. One eats in the first half, the second in the second half. The classrooms are pretty traditional looking with a lot of singular study desks with chairs, a chalk board, and a lot of paintings on the walls. There's also the teacher's desk which, judging by the busy nature of the Teacher's Lounge, has to be far more well-used. Of course, really, why the teachers couldn't just use their classroom desks and leave the lounge to lounging is anyone's guess.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 pm
by Laine
"Well, thank you for your time Principal Ross. If you don't mind then perhaps I can take the time to draw out a floor plan for the classroom and a daily schedule of activities and routines for the children. Do we have a list of the students and contact information for the families? Also, when were you looking to have the classroom ready by?"

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 am
by Laraqua

The tour of the ground floor ends within Travis' classroom. "Well, that sounds just fine. Feel free to put things together in your classroom and all the rest. Ms. Latham can provide you with the list of students and contact information. I was hoping we'd have the classroom ready in time for the next school year in September. It's May now, so that's three to four months. Would that work?" The principal eyes Travis hopefully.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:28 am
by Laine
[Spoiler-Button]OOC, Oops I guess I wasn't certain about the in game time of year.[/Spoiler-Button

"That sounds more than reasonable. I will arrange the classroom and have it ready to go for next school year."

When Prinicipal Ross leaves Travis will attempt to move some of the furniture out of the way and will begin to visualize his ideal classroom arrangment. Rather than a traditional floor plan he will attempt to paintI( he usually carries his water color tubes with him and a brush)a scene of children happily playing, creating pieces of art work and imaginging a creative world of fantasy. His painting usually have a surreal and dream like quality to them.

The painting becomes more than just a dream for his classroom, but rather also a vision of the entire school. Children playing in a playground with natural materials, water features and a beautiful serene environment with out door instruments, from large wooden-wind chimes to Midwich's own version of the "Our Bridge Project

A dream perhaps, but a beautiful one none the less.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:33 am
by Laraqua
And then Travis looks up at the brown linoleum and the brown desks and the old radiator and the large chalkboards and the austere glass windows and realises how far he'll have to come to bring his vision to life. Apparently funding is tight at this school (when isn't it), but there may be extra funding and resources from local businesses. He could stay on until recess to chat to the children and teachers or he could drive around the town to see what sort of resources are available and who might be willing to provide some additional funding - even if he doesn't approach them about it just yet.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:40 am
by Laine
Perhaps if I ever stop spending my whole time imagining and some of my time actually being action oriented than we might get somewhere with this..

Travis will attempt to spend the rest of the day going over lesson plans from previous year and trouble shoot how he can apply them to this year, he will also write out an introduction letter that he will be able to send to the parents at the start of next school year. As the school day draws to a close he will approach Ms. Latham about the possibility of other funding sources in the community and will invite her to tea or coffee to brainstorm with her.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:50 am
by Laraqua

Ms. Latham agrees to meet up with Travis at Konami Burger but she's eager to visit Andy's Books in order to get her book signed by her absolutely favorite author. She asks whether he'd like to come along with her.

She tells him that Lakeview Amusement Park may be willing to get involved on some level as a marketing pitch. There's also Central Silent Hill which acts as the economic center for the whole town of Silent Hill and the entire region around it. Many small shops and stores, offices, various public services (including some banks, a general hospital, the post office and the Silent Hill Police Station), a big shopping mall and many famous but notable touristic destinations such as the Artaud Theater, restaurants, motels, some parks and also some hotels, including the famous Grand Hotel are found there. It'd be tough trying to tie it all together with Midwich Elementary School but they might do it as a tax write-off, even if they can't do it as a marketing ploy.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:54 am
by Laine
"I'd love to see what kind of book stores we have available to us. I spent a good majority of my childhood indoors either painting, drawing or reading. May I ask what book it is you are reading? Afterwards perhaps we can go to the burger joint and you can help me figure out which businesses are the best to approach?"

Hmm..I hate typical American food, but I guess if it helps me strike up a relationship with my co-workers than I will put up with it. I hope she doesn't take me asking her out for a work related meal in the wrong way...

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:04 am
by Laraqua
"Oh, the signing doesn't start until five and I don't go out after dark," says Ms. Latham, accurately guessing the cause of your hesitation. "Besides, I'm famished. If you want to catch me to go over the details, you'll have to come with or stay behind." She shrugs and packs away the book. "Okay, time to lock up. See you at the burger joint."

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:07 pm
by Laine
It took a while for me to get over my fear of the dark, but seriously?...

"I don't mean to be intrusive, but is there a high crime rate that makes the streets not such a great place to be after the sun goes down?"

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:45 am
by Laraqua
"It's just, oh, it's hard to explain," Ms. Latham said. "It's not so bad in the resort areas but in the residential areas it gets a little creepy. I mean, we don't have a high crime rate, per se, but we do get a lot of missing persons. Oh, and the odd dog attack. I mean, dog attacks aren't that common but we have a higher rate than any other town in America and they're often a lot more brutal as well, but only after dark." She starts walking off with a smile and a wave. "See you at Konami Burgers."

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:07 am
by Laine
Travis attempts to keep a cheerful look to himself as he waves good bye to her.

Missing persons? That girl from yesterday..perhaps she is just one of many? Well, at least the police found her so, I assume she is safe. I always hated dogs, most could knock me over like I was nothing..My dad had a rottweiler..he treated it so terribly and so it became just as aggressive as he was. I wonder, did he got the dog drunk too? I always liked cats so much more.

Travis will head home and relax before he has to meet Ms. Latham at Konami's.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:10 am
by Laraqua
Travis has a good half hour to relax before the appointment at Konami Burgers. It's relaxing enough but for the comments she made about missing persons and dog attacks. There wasn't really any mention of them in the newspapers and certainly nothing about it online.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:18 am
by Laine
There were times where I may as well have been lost myself. Between their fighting and drinking there were times when I wasn't sure if I was really dealing with my parents or other people altogether. I wonder how Casey is doing..? I shouldn't always spend my time worrying either.

Travis will look for the number to Alchemilla Hospital in the brochure he found yesterday when he first met Casey.

I guess I'll use this cancer ray of a phone until I can get my landline connected.

Once he finds the number he will dial it in attempt to get more information on volunteering.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:32 am
by Laraqua
The receptionist picks up on the third ring and says brightly, "Hello, this is Alchemical Hospital. How can I help you?" She has a fairly young and husky-sounding voice.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:22 am
by Laine
"Hello, my name is Travis Jates and I was hoping to speak with someone in regards to volunteering in the palliative care unit."

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:37 am
by Laraqua
"The perky voice on the other end of the phone sounds all the more perky, crazily enough. "Oh! That's great to here. Volunteers in palliative care are an important and valued part of the team. They offer friendship and practical help which enables adults and children living with a terminal illness to remain independent for longer than otherwise possible. There are varied roles available to you if you wish to become a palliative care volunteer. These can involve hospital or home based patient and carer support, providing pro bono expert advice, administrative support and assistance with fundraising. The majority of palliative care volunteers work in the home or inpatient palliative care setting. They can offer a wide range of services: being with someone while their carer goes out, shopping, providing companionship, taking someone for a drive or to an appointment, writing letters, minding children, writing someone’s life story, singing, answering the phone, making bereavement phone calls, helping organise a memorial service, helping with life enhancement projects, providing beauty treatments, gentle massage, reflexology, aromatherapy and other suitable complementary therapies; the list goes on... Well, I'm not the best person to speak to about this. Mrs. Hames, our HR and Volunteer Coordinator, would be the best person to speak to about this. Would you like me to put you through?"

It's interesting how much she knows about the volunteering program. Normally it's only the volunteer coordinators who truly know very much about the situation.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:49 am
by Laine
"Yes, I would appreciate it very much."

I was just hoping to provide my time on a Saturday or Sunday for painting landscapes or whatever might interest the patients.I am not sure I can help them with the rest of their lives; I can barely protect myself.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:03 am
by Laraqua
"Very well. Transferring you now."

A light and sweet sort of elevator music comes across the telephone line for about twelve seconds, followed by.

"Hello, this is Jennifer Hames at Alchemilla Hospital. How may I help you?" comes a brisk, professional voice.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:42 am
by Laine
"Hello, my name is Travis Jates and I was interested in volunteering for palliative care. I've just moved into Silent Hill and will be teaching at Midwich next school year. In the mean time I was hoping to volunteer my time with the local hospital. I have quite an extensive background in Early Childhood Development in particular and I love to do arts and crafts as well.."

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:14 am
by Laraqua
"Ahh, excellent, well, we have a fair few volunteering opportunities available. You mentioned early childhood development, so I'm supposing it's young children you'd prefer to work with?"

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:50 am
by Laine
"I am comfortable working with any age group, but am most familar with children ages 3-9. I was hoping to start as soon as possible and would be available to come in and talk more tomorrow or whenever most convinient."

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:59 am
by Laraqua
"Certainly," said Mrs. Hames. "How about tomorrow at 10.00AM?"

10.00AM is certainly within school hours and technically Travis is meant to be there but he could easily come up with some excuse to be out and about. Principal Ross doesn't appear to be closely watching him.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:06 am
by Laine
Spoiler:
OOC, I wasn't aware of my character's working schedulre. Perhaps they could have scheduled for the weekend instead?
After making the arrangements, Travis will leave to meet Ms. Latham at the Konami Burger.

I wish I didn't have to drive everywhere, but it seems like everywhere in this town if far away. I wish I could walk..

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:12 am
by Laraqua
OOC,his working schedule would be generally 8.00AM to 4.30PM.

Mrs. Hames
isn't available on weekends to do it but she can send you the forms and do it as a telephone interview just after work. The induction and orientation sessions are dealt with by the Program Coordinators and they can do it on the weekend so that shouldn't be a problem.

Konami Burgers smells of fry up and people are generally eating burgers with a slightly oriental twist. The most interesting choice is the Fried Rice burger which is fried rice in a burger bun. There's also one with honey chicken. It's very unlikely that these are actual Asian dishes, but they seem pretty popular amongst the locals, anyway. It seems to scare off the few tourists (complete with Hawaiian T-Shirts and cameras, who would've thought they'd be carrying those?) and that might be why it's so popular among the locals.

Ms. Latham looks up at him from over a Honey Chicken & Chips dish that she's eating with chopsticks. "Oh, hello. Sorry, I was famished so I started without you."

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:23 am
by Laine
Even though he wasn't a great chef himself, Travis still enjoyed good food and didn't tend to eat a lot of meat.

I wonder if there is any pork in the fried rice burger.

"It's okay, I remember there being times when I wouldn't stop working the whole day and by 5:00 all I had the entire day was coffee and toast. Looks like this place is pretty popular. How many tourists come through here anyway?

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:25 am
by Laraqua
"Too many," she says, with a snicker. "Well, no, we need the tourists, but there are often a lot. You'd have to go down to the Town Hall if you wanted actual statistics." She bites deeply of her burger.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:27 am
by Laine
"Yeah, my mom was from a town where the tourists would out number the locals during the summer. I remember not liking it there, so much. How is the fried rice burger? I can't say I've tried anything like that before."

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:52 am
by Laraqua
"Yeah, we have more inns, motels, and hotels than most anywhere else," says Ms. Latham. "But what're you gonna do? It's better than being an executioner and prison town like we used to be. And with the coal mine shut down..." She shrugs. "Tourists are a pain but they're easy to ignore if you don't work in the wrong industry and know where to eat. Annie's Bar is another local place that the tourists don't go too as often cause it's a bit of a dive, though they still do go there, thinking it's quaint, because it's right smack bang closer to the lake. If you want to avoid them, I know all of the hot spots."

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:39 am
by Laine
"DId the state used to have a prison here in Silent Hill? That is pretty fascinating history for a town of this size. What you told me about the school was rather disturbing to be honest. You said there were more principals in the past who were similar?"

He doesn't mean to be intrusive, but he also can't hide his interest in the local history of the town and surrounding areas.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:03 am
by Laraqua
"Well, I know a fair bit about the past," said Ms. Latham. "I'm a member of the Silent Hill Historical Society and I volunteer at the museum." She clears her throat. "This is about a century after the first settlement was abandoned. In 1812, the newly formed United States resumed hostilities with Britain. The War of 1812 swept across the country, one whose citizens had wished itself shut of violence and bloodshed. A number of months into the war, the Americans realized the need of a location for prisoners of war. Authorities in all of the states searched their territory for a suitable area for a prison camp. They finally came up with the answer when they reviewed old settlements. They discovered one settlement, Toluca by name, that was nestled between a lake and some mountains, far from any other civilized areas. Perhaps even better was that wooded areas were nearby, which would make escape even more difficult. More than that, the prisoners could harvest the lumber and send it back, making sure the American military would make a tidy profit from the exploitation of its prisoners. The higher ups had found no better solutions to their prisoner problem, so they accepted the proposal. And huzzah! Toluca Prison was formed and the town grew around it. There were some ... ups and downs in the tale of the prison with closures and reopenings and executions and things like that but in the end it became a tourist town."

"As for Midwich, well, it's not so much many principals that've gone mad but often there's been a bit of a puritanical bent to childrearing. Y'know, keeping children out of the path of danger, or the Devil, in much earlier years, by wrapping them up in discipline and cotton wool? Yeah, well, the creepy thing about the old principal was that she didn't do what she did out of hatred of the children but fear of the parents and the world around the school. That's the main thing. Principals seeing the school as an island fortress, a refuge against the wider world, or in some cases, a prison to match Toluca. We've got a very up and down history, but of course, most of it isn't really told to outsiders as it's meant to be a family destination and a place for honeymooners, not disturbed wackos looking for an Emo trip."

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:45 am
by Laine
"That's interesting, so Silent Hill also has history as a penal colony? Is there much information in regards to pre-European settlement? I've had an interest when I was in college in regards to Native American studies, but I decided to go into teaching. It also seems that this area also became a settlement for religious pilgrims?

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:15 am
by Laraqua
"Well, if you want to know more you should drop by the Historical Society's little museum thingy on Nathan Avenue down south aways," says Ms. Latham. "We've got a lot of information out the back ... though you'd have to get past Patty to see it. She kinda treats it all like its Code Black government secrets and she's Homeland Security. I can't tell you must about the Native American history as they cleared out of here way back from what we can tell the first peoples in this area came here around 10,000 BC. It's said, but this is all just white migrant rumor, really, that these people ... the Canalee? ... they lived in peace here. There's no sign of war. But at night time, the countryside would fall completely silent ... its thought to be because there aren't many nocturnal mammals or birds that were in the area at the time due to the hills. Ghost stories say it was thought that nature itself respected the darkness that would fall upon the area and while the indigenous people found it unsettling to begin with, they ended up showing the same deference for it that nature seemed to give it. They called this place Caalee, which in their tribal tongue meant the Quiet Place. And they called themselves the Caalee as well. And they worshipped these powerful beings, called Silent Spirits, who never spoke above a whisper... But again, this is all from the records of a few white men who moved to the place in the second settlement and that was built up around a prison so the odds aren't very good that any of this happened. Especially since, in truth, there's no sign that any indigenous people ever existed here. There are myths of the Caalee amongst other indigenous tribes, though, and that they disappeared long before white men came to this land. So it's probablly just a myth that got told to the first settlers. Still, kinda cool, huh?"

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:30 pm
by Laine
"That is very interesting indeed, perhaps we could learn something about respect from the previous occupants of this area. I am not talking about just Silent Hill, but rather our society as a whole. I take it there haven't been any excavations of the area? Old prospector sites, Caalee settlements or around the prison itself?"

When his fried rice burger arrives he will stuff it into his mouth.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:03 am
by Laraqua
"Well, like I said, there's no actual evidence of any Caalee settlements, which doesn't mean they weren't here, just a long time ago. The old Wiltse Coal Mine's shut now though there's always talk of opening it up as a historical site. We're currently in negotiations and some basic work has gone underway with the Wiltse family but they're still a bit unsure about it. As for the old prison, it's a bit out of the way of the main town, so it doesn't really need to be excavated. Why? Have you ever been on a dig?"

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:35 am
by Laine
"Well, no I have not been on a dig, but I hav a passing interest in these subjects and like to visit old historical sites. I will have to check into the Historical Society, perhaps pay my dues? Anyway, these fried rice burgers are pretty good. Were you still hoping to get your book signed today? I wouldn't mind taking a look at the local book store.

When he is finished eating, Travis will through out his plate and come to seat back down as Ms. Latham finishes.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:38 am
by Laraqua
"Oh yes! Whoops!" She hops up from her chair and throws out her plate. "Yeah, I was hoping to be one of the last people there because, well, if the line's really big then I won't get a chance to really talk to him and, if you've seen the book flap, he's actually kinda cute. I mean, authors aren't usually cute but he actually, really is. If you hop in your car, you can follow me there pretty easily. It's not far."

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:34 pm
by Laine
Is it really that obvious? I mean people are understanding back home, but in a rural town like this? People are going to judge me..

"Umm..noo.I guess I haven't seen his picture before, but I am sure he's quite handsome. Infact, I am sorry, but I am not even sure of the author's name."

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:14 am
by Laraqua
"Walter Desmond," said Ms. Latham. "Yeah, I didn't think you'd be a dark fantasy / horror afficionda - or however you pronounce it. He is sooo cute. I hope he's free tonight. I mean, I normally don't go out at night but I'd make an exception for him! He's got such dry humour. You should've read his interviews. He's a genius!" Her eyes roll skyward and she does a little tap dance in excitement. She's obviously one of those excitable 20-something girls.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:33 pm
by Laine
" You will have to turn me on to some of his book. Anyway, I will drive behind you and meet you there in just a few minutes."

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:31 am
by Laraqua

"Sure thing," says Ms. Latham, hopping into her car. She waits for Travis to get into his car and then heads on out down a few streets until she reaches Andy's Bookstore. There's a fair few cars parked along the street out front and a number of posters for this man's books: "Heart of the Void", "Little Lost Angels", "The Hidden", "Catcher", and "Ripper Rose".

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:16 am
by Laine
They sure sound like uplifting novels. I wonder if they made the NY Times best seller list.

Travis seems slightly amused by the choice of fiction that his new associate had. Travis will greetN Ms.Latham , but will only listen to the author as he browses the local history section of the store..

Anything with hisorical insights or accounts of life by locals during the founding of the town..

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:09 am
by Laraqua
Travis notices that there are a few tourist books sitting on the shelves but they all seem to have been published within the past century -- most of them are cheaply printed and bound though there are a few glossier versions sitting on the shelf. Ms. Latham heads up to join a short queue of individuals standing in line before a desk that is flanked with large posters showing the usual horror imagery of a clawed hand lying in a pool of congealing blood. Travis can't see the author's face, however. Not from where he stands.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:23 pm
by Laine
Nothin but rubbish for tourists and coffee tables...Perhaps the town has a library or I can visit the Historical Society that Ms. Latham spoke of.

After his dissapointment with the selection of books, Travis will join the crows around the author..
Is he as cute as she says?..

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:47 am
by Laraqua
OOC,He doesn't have that gun, by the way, buy the rest is pretty accurate. And no, don't worry. Leon Kennedy isn't in town. I'm just using his likeness because I'm trying to stick to videogame imagery.
Well, it does look like the author is as cute as she said he was. He has this kind of handsome boyishness to him that certainly is enough to make anyone's heart go pitter-patter. He's muscular, too, which is unusual for someone who types by trade. He's sitting in his chair, leaning forward slightly, and blinking up at an elderly woman who is asking him, in no uncertain terms, why he had to kill Patricia in such a terrible way at the end of the book? This brings a gasp from another lady who obviously hadn't read it. Interestingly enough, most of the readership here are women and some of them (judging by what they're talking about with each other), probably haven't read any of the books.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:06 pm
by Laine
I feel like such a creep just watching like this from behind a book shelf. I remember starring like this way too much, too afraid to say anything and then more afraid when they'd catch and beat me

Travis decides to join the group of ladies in line to meet Walter and if possible wil stand next to Ms. Latham.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:01 am
by Laraqua
There's no one behind Ms. Latham so it's easy enough to get there. The trouble is that the line moves with painful slowness as each woman takes several minutes to try and talk to the man about just about anything other than his books. It feels more like Speed Dating than a book signing but with a man that handsome, it really isn't all that surprising. Apparently, he used to work as a fire fighter over in Auckland, New Zealand, and that's why, yes, he happens to be Mr. June on a NZ calender. And wow, really, she's got a copy she'd like him to sign? And actually he got most of his inspiration from his books from listening to urban legends, myths, and the fearful tales people tell about the world around them. Superstitions and such-like. No, he's never seen a ghost, though he has heard some creepy things in a flat he lived in when he was in New Orleans helping out after the hurricane. Too good to be true? That's so sweet of you to say. Anyway, his last book was actually inspired by something he heard a little girl say once when he was a little kid. He can't quite remember what the details were but it involved a fear that your mother was going to hurt you. Anyway, it's been great talking to her, but there's a line, and if he doesn't keep moving on down the line his agent will kill him.

And so it goes.

Travis
reaches a book shelf filled with the man's books. He could take a look at a few blurbs to see what they're about, if he wanted to. Ms. Latham is also fairly bristling with excitement though she seems to keen on eavesdropping on the other conversations to chat to Travis.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:06 am
by Laine
Travis takes note of the book inspired by the story his friend told him as a child. Many pioneers such as Waldorf believed that young children an innate spirituality and sense of dreaming.

Storytelling is really a child's first attempt at abstract thinking and an attempt to understand their world and the experiences of others.

Travis will pick up this book and will flip the pages to find any lines that might interest him.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:17 am
by Laraqua
'Heart of the Void'

Little Megan's life is ruled by her fears.
Insects, dogs, strange adults, little kids, doctors and nurses...
... and her mother.
Her mother tells her she has an important role to play.
She's about to make everyone's dreams come true.
There's just one little price to pay.
The life of all her childhood friends.

Flicking through the book, one main phrase sticks out at him:

It doesn't matter where you run and hide. Children never have anywhere to go when their parents are against them. The world's constructed for adults, around their own convenience and needs, and a child's fears and pains were just so terribly inconvenient. Carlton wished he could help but he wouldn't stand up against Megan's mother for all the cash in the world. Or all the guilt-proofing. He leaned his forehead against the closet doors as he listened to the kids talk.
"Where'm I gonna go? Don't want to go to hospital," muttered Megan. "Hate hospitals. But what'm I gonna do?"
"Don't go!" said Rose. "Please, don't go! You know what they'll do to you."
"It'll be fine, I'm sure. It was fine last time."
"You have to be careful out there. The doctors aren't there to help you. You know this! We should talk to the vice principal. I think she'll help us."
"No, everyone's so mean at school... They think I'm ... I don't know."
Rose frowned. "Maybe there's some place we can hide?"

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:36 am
by Laine
Somewhere we can hide...

A sense of remorse for Megan's character filled him as read those pages.
There was no doubt that he felt a kinship tO her as well as her friends..

Is there somewhere we can hide, Calvin? My dad is drunk again. Can I stay here tonight? They want to send me away for more testing.

He couldn't read the book any longer.
I remember when I had to hide in the trunk of his car from the football team.t

He will hold onto the book as he waits to speak with Walter.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:42 am
by Laraqua
Suddenly everyone else has moved off and it's just Travis, Ms. Latham, and Walter. The handsome author looks up at the two of them brightly, gaze flashing from one to the other in a cutely inquisitive manner, and Ms. Latham steps lightly to one side to put more distance between herself and Travis. "Oh, hi, um, this is Travis Yates, a colleague of mine. Teacher! From the school."

"Midwich?" asked Walter.

"Er, yeah. I'm Ms. Latham. I mean, Emily. Everyone calls me Emily. It's a middle name." She giggles a little nervously, hugging five books to her chest. "Um, I got a few for the signing. I love your work. Especially the snappy dialogue. The real to-and-froing. And I mean your writing is tight... I mean it, tight! Not a spare adjective around. What's it like? Being a writer I mean? And New Zealand? So sorry to hear about all the earthquakes in Christchurch. It's really horrible. Um, so what're you doing later tonight?"

He folded his arms in front of him on the desk. "Though I'd check out the gentleman's club, slip some notes into one of the stripper's g-string. Y'know, the usual writerly pursuits of fame and fortune. All cocaine and craziness."

"Oh?" She blinks at him.

"I'm kidding," he said, leaning back and spreading his hands before him in an oh-so-handsome way.

"Oh, of course!"

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:58 am
by Laine
Travis can't help but shy away as his gaze falls on him. Though he attempts to mask it a sense of insecurity and being unworthy may be apparent.

"he.."

He gives a half hearted giggle at the exchange between Walter and Emily.
I wanted to talk about the meaning and experiences of the characters and she's already cutting me off..

He steps forward somewhat akwardly.

"sorry, Walter, I just wanted to say how much Megan's character spoke to me. I mean to be honest I just read a paragraph or so, but I can identify with her already.."

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 am
by Laraqua
"Spoke to you?" asked Walter, his gaze falling on Travis like a weight. There's an intensity there. An intellect one doesn't expect to see in such a handsome face. "You've known a girl like that? How old are you?"

"I'm twenty six," said Ms. Latham. She's more likely to be pushing thirty, in truth, but it's common for women to lie about their age.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:45 am
by Laine
" well I mostly meant that I had a lot of experiences close to hers. I had a lot of medical conditions growing up and I relate to that. Im 29 now but went through a lot of situations like Megan's."

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:54 am
by Laraqua
"Oh, okay," said Walter. "Well, I was planning to head out to grab a meal down at the Lakeside Hotel restaurant ... boy is it weird seeing that place up and running after it burned down. I was planning to invite the ones who'd actually read the books and I know that Ms. Latham has -- I remember some fanfiction you wrote? -- so it might be worth talking some more down there."

"Well, actually, I was thinking we could crack open a couple bottles of champagne once I've chased off the fake fan club," said a man, leaning over the counter. He's a friendly looking man in a knitted reindeer sweater who looks to be in his late fifties. "I know the ones that actually buy your books before today. Boy-o! You've done a lot of good for my business, I gotta say."

"Thanks, Andy," said Walter.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:59 am
by Laine
"May I come as well? I know I am new to your books, but I find them fascinating."

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:04 am
by Laraqua
"Be a pretty dick move to send away one half of a pair," said Walter.

"Oh, we're not--" began Ms. Latham.

"I meant a pair of friends! Look, please, I'm not that famous ... or that handsome." He flutters his lashes in a way that is adorably self-deprecating. But then, he's the sort of handsome who could pull off being terribly mean and it'd be hard not to thank him for the attention.

Andy started moving to the clusters of women. "Closing time, ladies!"

"Oh, but--" began one woman.

"Only registered members of the Fan Club can stay for the After-Party."

"How much for that?" murmured one woman, pulling out her purse.

Andy glanced sidelong over at Walter.

"Andy!" snapped Walter, rolling his eyes. "Y'know, you'd think a resort town would see more action," he mutters to Travis and Ms. Latham. "There's bound to be a lot better looking men than me in the area."

"Not really, no," says Ms. Latham. "And besides, you were a local so they assume you're going to move back here whereas all the tourists ... they just come and they leave. Oh, besides, I hear a lot of girls had crushes on you back at Midwich."

"Really?" asked Walter. "Interesting."

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:35 am
by Laine
From what I have seen there aren't too many as charming. I hope I'm not making a total fool of myself. I remember stu k up girls chasing after my friends and they acted like I didn't exist..

Travis once again gives off a chuckle at Emily's infatuation with Walter.

"I think it makes perfect sense, I mean your way of conveying human emotions seems admirable."
I don't stand a chance.. I'm out of place here where as Emily is from Silent Hill. Besides he's into strip clubs and I am no where near as physically able..

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:43 am
by Laraqua
"And all that from a couple paragraphs? Careful, or you'll give me a bloated head." He holds out a finger for silence and watches carefully as Andy sends off all the various customers, flips the sign, and locks the door. Only then does he draw a deep breath and pull out a couple bottles of cheap champagne. "To be honest, it hasn't been very busy until near closing time. I've only had a couple people float through here at a time. Luckily, Andy and my good friend Jack kept me company when the few people who've actually read my books headed off." He raises an empty bottle of Jack Daniels from behind the counter. "Anyway, champagne anyone?"

Andy
hurried over to nudge Ms. Latham and murmured in her ear, "Told you I'd make sure you had your time with him." He says it in such a low voice it's actually hard to make it out but Travis hears it regardless. "Though, to be honest, there was always confusion about which way he swung ... or if he went both ways."

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 am
by Laine
For the first time Travis gives a genuine laugh. Even then doubt burrowed through him..

How often did my parents pass the time drinking? I told myself I would't, but then I don't want to be an ass either.

"I wouldn't mind a glass of champagne if that's okay."

Through his rather emaciated features he tries to smile..

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:20 am
by Laraqua
Walter gives him a charming smile and pours him a glass of champagne. It's not too bad as far as wine goes. Bubbly and almost sweet. "So, how are things in dear old Silent Hill lately?"

"Same old, same old," said Andy. "Weird dog attacks been freaking me out the most, though."

"Yeah, I heard. You told me. No walking the streets after dark. Y'know, I doubt that can be all that likely or else this wouldn't be a tourist town, right? Nothing like that could happen at a resort town with any frequency!" He laughs, as though at some personal joke, and Andy laughs along with him.

"Yeah, there's always been some dodgy things going on in town," says Ms. Latham a little nervously. "So, how come you haven't invited anyone from school over? I mean, wouldn't now be a great time for a reunion?"

Andy shushes her quietly.

"No, no, it's okay. I'm surprised you hadn't heard. I wasn't all that popular back in the day." He shrugs and rolls is eyes, but its obvious that there's more to it than that.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:07 pm
by Laine
Travis is rather interested in the topics of conversation, yet he still feels oddly out of place and doesn't want to interupt the direction of their dialogue.
Emily mentioned the dogs earlier and this town does seem to have it's secrets, but then any town does..

He will continue to sip at his champagne and will remain silent and listen in on the conversation as he has done so many times throughout his life.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:45 am
by Laraqua
"Really? I hadn't heard that," said Ms. Latham. "It sounded like you had a lot of friends."

"When I got older, it wasn't so bad, but in primary school?" Walter chuckles humorlessly. "Not that it was much better in high school. They thought I was a bit of a weirdo. Still, hindsight is 20/20 and most people like to think they were nice enough to everyone. Especially those with any degree of fame. How'd you two get by at Midwich?"

"Oh, it was pretty easy in my day," said Andy. "All you needed was to be good at sport when they took you down to the oval - which got sold off for houses in your day before being bought back fairly recently."

"You were never good at sport!" snorts Walter.

"No, but your dad was and he kinda carried me through."

"Oh, yeah. My dad. He was always an influential man," Walter said in a low voice.

"May he rest in peace," said Andy, gazing down at the counter.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:23 am
by Laine
Travis notes the rather grim turn in the conversation..

" I am sorry to hear about your father, he sounds like he was important to a lot of people.."

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:38 am
by Laraqua
"Yeah," said Walter, though there's the slight flicker of hidden resentment and anger behind his eyes. "A good man."

"Anyway, let's get off such grim topics. Why don't you tell us all about what it's like to live in Auckland?" asked Andy.

Walter starts giving some anecdotes about his new home, his roles, his duties, his neighbours, though there's no mention of any special girl or guy in his life. It's odd, though, because Andy doesn't bring up his novels at all, though Ms. Latham seems keen to talk about his protagonist's psychology, the strange monsters, and the frequently familial nature of the villains. So many of his protagonists are children, after all. Mention of all of this seems to make both Andy and Walter a little nervous and they keep changing the subject, especially as it starts getting dark.

"So why'd you change your name?" asked Ms. Latham.

"I'm sorry?" asked Walter.

"Your last name. From Kauffman."

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:47 am
by Laine
Travis shares Emily's interest in the characters being children but decides to give it too much thought.

It's interesting that he changed his name. Sometimes I wish I could forget my father too:

"Well don't many authors pick up pen names that they use when publishing there work? But then, perhaps there' greater reasoning behind your choice of selecting a new name?"

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:52 am
by Laraqua
"I figured my current name is more writer-friendly," said Walter. "But then I just chose to use it all the time for convenience's sake. So, you work at Midwich, right? How're you finding it?"

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:59 am
by Laine
"Well, honestly I have just started, earlier this morning to be infact. I will be the preschool teacher this coming school year. I am excited to start, but I don't have a good sense of the town or people here yet. That's not to say I don't love what I do. Infact, I believe children at these young ages are such magnificient story tellers and their perception of the world can be in many ways very genuine. Many early childhood philosphers believe that children have a cetrain sense of spirtual being that we lose as we grow older. I am not certain about that, but I do believe they are very keen observers. Sometimes you wish children are innocent and not tainted by the world around us, but they are very much shaped by others and their environment."

Travis takes another sip of his champagne and seems somewhat flattered that Walter has bothered to ask him about his work.

Usually people think of us as just being a step above a baby sitter..(such an outdated term, Ican't believe I used that)

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:10 am
by Laraqua
"Ah, new town, new job. Always a complex situation. I'm sure you'll find that a lot of people here, just as elsewhere, are decent enough folks just trying to make a living." He frowns. "Interesting choice to set up a preschool at Midwich. You got any big plans?"

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:32 pm
by Laine
"Well, I do have a lot of high hopes, but at this point I am just looking to get settled into the classroom, arrange it and get to know this town a little more. Midwich seems the natural place to have a preschool program, because it won't be such a huge transition when they do go into the elementary school system. The principal seems to have a lot of ideals too, so that can good or difficult if you don't share the same philosophy."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:14 am
by Laraqua
"Do you?" he asked. "Share the same philosophy, I mean."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:26 am
by Laine
"'Well I don't know him very well, but he seems to be very into modernazation. He is very into computers where as I believe, as Waldorf would say, children should be " Allowed to stay in a state of dreaming."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 am
by Kadael
Emily bites her lip and shuffles her feet at the direction this conversation has taken. She prefers to not even think about the school when she's off work. She's reluctant to lean one way or the other on this 'modernization' issue, but she hopes it won't cause trouble for Travis and his ambitions.

She takes another sip of her champagne and cuts into the conversation. "Isn't one of your recent books set in an elementary school? I... haven't been able to get my hands on it yet, but maybe it would interest Travis."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:19 am
by Laraqua
"Yes, 'Chaos Dreams', is about the unchecked imagination and how it can lead to paradise or hell, depending on the whims of the dreamer," said Walter. "It's ... a complicated book."

"Considered to be too dark for Silent Hill," said Andy. "I'm not actually allowed to stock it."

"It's not the only one," muttered Walter.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:39 am
by Laine
"it certainly sounds intriguing, the imagination is very powerful, indeed. I would like to read this if possible, perhaps Emily and myself can get a black market copy?"

He gives out a chuckle at the thought of black listed books.

" There were more than a few books that the parent committee tried to get me to remove from the bookshelves in my last classroom. You have to remain true to your beliefs and convictions."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 am
by Kadael
"Too dark? For this town?" Emily raises an eyebrow, then catches herself. "I mean, your books are so popular here. It's just hard to imagine."

She looks at Travis. Clearly, neither of them are strangers to the topic of banned books. "Well, it's different for children, isn't it? At least, that's what parents think."

A memory from childhood: a paperback book being torn from her hands. Shouting. And the unbuckling of a belt.

Emily shakes herself out of it and clutches her books to her chest. "I think a lot of people would agree with you there."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:43 am
by Laraqua
"Well, I have the banned books in my car if anyone wants to be a rebel and read them," said Walter.

Andy downed a glass of champagne and then re-poured himself another glass. It's at least his 2nd, though judging by his slight slurring now, he may have had a few more before Ms. Latham and Travis arrived. "Y'know, Town Hall shouldn't be able to ban books from book shops. What gives them the right?"

"Careful, Andy."

"Just saying," he grumbled. "I ain't afraid of Town Hall nutjobs."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:50 pm
by Laine
"Yes, I would love the chance to read them if possible."
why does it take some people a few drinks for them to say how they actually feel about something.

With that Travis puts his glass down.

"It can be a good thing to have dissenters."

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 pm
by Laraqua
"Depends on the area," said Walter mildly, before sipping his champagne. "In Chicago during the prohibition era, dissenters got shot."

"Good analogy," muttered Andy. "Certain movers and shakers have their nose into everything. Not as bad as Shepherd's Glen, fat load of good it did them, but still ... bastards think they own the place. I pay my rates. They're darn high, too, and it's not like tourists come buy a whole bunch of books. Still, what're you gonna do?"

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:24 am
by Laine
Travis couldn't help but to feel somewhat threatend or at the very least uneasy about the comments of Andy and Walter.

"Well I didn't mean to stir up strong feelings and I apologize. Shall we get the books?"

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:52 am
by Laraqua
"I'll go fetch them," said Walter. "They're in my car." He straightens and stretches with a low groan. His back arches as he does it and when he straightens once more, he rakes his fingers through his hair to put it back into position. "Well, it's official. I've been sitting way too long in one place. I'll be back in a minute. Don't drink all the champagne without me. I'm looking at you Andy."

Andy points at himself, mouth agape in shock. "Me, sir?"

Walter chuckles and heads for the door.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 am
by Laine
Travis gives out a slight smirk at the pestering between the two of them. He then looks over to Emily.

"Looks like we're in luck. You'll probably get a signed book from an author who's been blacklisted."

Perhaps in a more casual setting she will talk more about the previous principal..

"Working for your old boss must have been pretty intimidating. It sounds like the new principal is a lot more relaxed. Is there anything else you can share about what she was like and why she was sent to the mental hospital?"

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:24 am
by Laine
OCC,Do we have to contend my persuade or fast talk if Emily doesn't care to talk about the school's history?

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 am
by Kadael
Emily looks over at Travis, surprised that he's speaking to her now. When he asks about Roseworthy, she gives Andy a nervous glance and sighs.

"I- I really think I've told you all I can. Honestly, I don't know why it matters. I mean, you're not working under her." She laughs awkwardly, then clears her throat. "So... what do you think of Walter's books so far? I could let you borrow one of my copies if you're interested. The local library is pretty sparse."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:53 am
by Laraqua
Andy gives them both a look. "She's dead, isn't she? Thought she was dead. Died at Brookhaven? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, don't talk about her around Walter. He really looked up to her. She looked after him when ... well, yeah. She was a good principal back at the start." He then seems to realise the rest of what Emily said. "Wait, don't you be talking about no library. Buy 'em here."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 am
by Laine
" I apologize, I just found it to be of interest. I mean it would be difficult to ignore history such as though. I suppose however, that people probably feel strongly about events like that, so I will do my best not to bring it up around Walter."

Travis attempts to shake off his feelings of discomfort around the topic.

Really, I didn't come from a family that liked to talk about the past either.

"I'd love the chance to read some of his other books, Emily. I'd also like a chance to visit the library, however sparse it may be."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:32 am
by Kadael
"Well, remind me to show you sometime." Emily smiles at Travis, then gives Andy an apologetic look.

She drinks a little more champagne and keeps an eye on the door, eagerly awaiting Walter's return.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:39 am
by Laraqua
The sound of breaking glass shatters the revelry and a woman's voice cries out sharply: "Now you'll get what you deserve!" It sounds like the voice is coming from right outside.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:46 am
by Laine
OOC,What are the positiions of the characters in relation to the door?
Travis backs away from the door way to outside and tries to put both Emily and Andy between himself and the exit. He never was brave.

"Who was that?"

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:52 am
by Kadael
Emily doesn't so much as flinch. She just keeps looking at the door, though she does put down her glass of champagne and get her phone from her purse.

If she can remember the police station's number, she'll call it. If not, 911 is the second best option.

She checks on Travis to make sure he's not intent on being a hero. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:53 am
by Laraqua
Andy is sitting on his stool behind the counter. The signing desk is just to the left of that with a chair behind it that Walter was sitting on and a wingchair not that far away. One can assume that both Emily and Travis were standing or sitting on the opposite side of the signing desk, nearer the door. There's about a dozen feet between them and the door although there are book shelves in the way. It's easy enough for Travis to get behind the counter which provides the most cover. Besides which, there's the 'Staff Only' door behind that. Both Travis and Emily may react before anyone else does.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:55 am
by Laraqua
Emily gets put through to the general police station right away. Most residents of Silent Hill have the police station number in their Contacts List on the urging of the Mayor due to all of the dog incidents. Unfortunately, she gets put on hold for a few tense seconds before a human voice finally picks up: "Hello, this is the Silent Hill Police Station. How may I help you?"

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:01 am
by Kadael
"Someone's being attacked outside Andy's Bookstore," she states simply, also giving the precise location. "There was breaking glass and a woman shouting at somebody else, 'Now you'll get what you deserve.'"

She really shouldn't be this calm. How many times has she done this?

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:07 am
by Laine
Travis is used to either running( which he was never good at) or hiding in the closet from his drunken father growing up. He doesn't run into the back for the time being but keeps that in mind should the need arise.

"Shall we check on him or maybe lock the door?"

Travis will attempt to get a view of what is happening outside but will attempt to stay as far away from the windows and door as possible while looking outside.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 am
by Laraqua
"Lock the door?!" scoffs Andy. "Knew something like this would happen." He picks up a baseball bat from behind his counter (it seems to have been signed from someone) and heads straight for the door. Considering that Andy is relatively old, it certainly makes Travis look all the worse for his fear.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:21 am
by Laine
Travis will crouch behind Andy as he makes his way towards the window. Once he gets there he will try to glimpse outside while drawing any blinds, so as to obscure the view of whoever is outside.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 am
by Laraqua
There are no blinds or other curtains over the windows. Outside the evening is clear and well-lit by the street lights. There's no sign of any woman but Travis can vaguely make out what is likely to be the edge of Walter's arm from his vantage point.

Andy pulls open the door and goes charging outside. "What the hell's going on out here?"

"Please stay on the line," says the calm voice from the police station.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:38 am
by Laine
Travisnwill cautiously move towards the door, but will stay towards the edge of the door and will peek his head out the door while he attempts to keep as much of his body from being exposed as possible.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 am
by Kadael
"Andy, wait--" Emily tries to stop him, but he's already gone, and there's no way she's going after him.

She stays on the line, but swallows hard, shaking her head slightly. Let the police handle it - that's what they're supposed to do. It's safer that way.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 am
by Laraqua
Walter's clutching his head and swaying slightly, surrounded by broken glass and some off-white milky substance that had obviously once filled it and is now in his hair and streaking his clothing. Andy goes rushing out with the bat, brandishing it wildly and swearing at no one in particular. He goes marching up to Walter, then swears around the corner at whoever must've run off. Then he puts his hands on Walter's shoulders, looks him in the face, and gives a grossed out look. "C'mon, let's get you inside. C'mon." Walter sways, but turns with him, blood running down one cheek from a cut on his milk (is it milk?) smeared forehead. "You okay, man? You don't look so good."

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:47 am
by Kadael
"Oh, my God!" Emily's calm veneer shatters when she sees Walter's face. She runs out the door and hesitantly reaches out to him, offering a hand if he'll take it.

"What happened to you?" She glances across the street, but there's only the hospital - the hospital! "Andy, bring him to Alchemilla. He looks like he's been hit pretty hard."

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 am
by Laraqua
Walter panics, flinging himself away from them. "No! No!" He stumbles back off the kerb and hits the road. "Not the hospital!"

A pretty couple who were walking along the sidewalk cross the road. Doubtless tourists, judging by her little strappy black dress and his casual suit. The camera slung around his neck is a dead giveaway. Locals are content with the cameras on their mobile phones. Of course, the man is gracious enough not to try and take a picture of the scene. Then again, they probably figured Walter was drunk and angry and taking a picture of a drunk, angry person was a guaranteed way to lose your flash camera.
Hide,Emily [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3316121/]isn't sure[/url]what's freaking him out. Sorry, flubbed History check.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:54 am
by Laine
Travis will follow the group outside as well and without thinking will attempt to assist Walter off the street. He is somewhat shocked at Walter's resistance to seeking medical attention, but also empathizes with his apprehension.

Perhaps he has negative associations with hospitals as well? I'd never go back either...

"Walter, I know nobody can force you, but are you sure? It looks like a pretty bad cut..Why wouldn't you want medical attention?"

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 am
by Laraqua
"I-I..." Walter rubs at his face and glances back at the hospital. "I just ... I need to get to my hotel room. I need to have a shower or - or something. Could someone please take me to my hotel room? Or to a shower? This smells horrible."

It does smell pretty bad. It's like someone just broke a dozen different aromatherapy bottles together mixed in with goat's milk and grass clippings. It's a very heady, organic smell.

"Aww, I don't have a car man and she called the cops," said Andy, thumbing towards Cecilia.

"Oh, I gotta get outta here. No cops. I just need to go home." He looks from Cecilia to Travis. "Will someone please drive me? Lakeview Hotel. Room 312."

He looks pretty unsteady on his feet. He certainly shouldn't be driving but with his muscular bulk it's also not terribly likely that either person would be able to keep him upright on their own if he tipped over. Of course, odds are he should be able to stumble upstairs without too much problem. He's not slurring his words or anything.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:54 am
by Kadael
OOC,Er, Cecilia's asleep and far away at the moment. :P
Emily sighs, but steps forward. "I can drive you. Don't worry."

It's a hollow reassurance at best. She's wondering about his reactions - they're not any of her business, but she's concerned and curious all the same. Was calling the police really the best thing to do?

Yes. Of course it was. Right.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:04 am
by Laine
Without waiting to for Emily to respond Travis will try to help him out.

"I don't mind giving you a ride tonight. I mean we both have to work in the morning, but I will be just setting up the classroom rather than working with students. It's up to you though, but you really should get yourself washed up, it's true."

Despite his eagerness he realizes how much bigger Walter is.

"I am not certain if I can lift you on my own though if younger injured badly..
Who was that anyway?"

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:14 am
by Laraqua
Walter blinks rapidly, looking from one to the other as though there words, jumbled over each other as they are, don't make much sense. He has a look on his face partway between disgust and confusion - likely disgust at his lack of comprehension. Sirens sound in the distance and he hurries over to his car parked out the front of Dai Dai Restaurant. He shoves off any assistance, relying on momentum to get him there, and then half lands against the car. "Keys! Keys!" he says anxiously and irritably, as he searches for them.
Emily,would she have hung up on the cops when she ran outside?

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 am
by Kadael
OOC,Nope. She probably forgot about it, but she's still on the line.
"Wait!" Emily runs after him in the confusion of sirens and darkness. "You can't drive like this!"

What's happened to him? He was so composed and calm in the bookstore. It's almost as if he's become a different person.

Not thinking, she puts a hand on his shoulder. To calm him, or to restrain? She doesn't know.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 am
by Laine
I should have assumed she'd jump to his aid before I could. This is why I don't associate with people outside of the working environment; I just end up making a fool of myself..Perhaps for the best anyway I am not even over him...

Travis will attempt to keep a calm and steady voice.

"I am very sorry I just wanted to help. Are you certain you are in a state to drive?"

Is he running from the police?

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:40 am
by Laraqua
"Calm down, man," said Andy. "You're not a kid anymore. You can't let them hound you anymore."

Walter has tears running down his face, streaking into the blood, as he fumbles the keys and drops them to the asphalt. He bends over, nearly swoons, but plants one hand on the asphalt to steady himself as he pulls out the key. With two swift pushes of the button, the car is unlocked. He tosses it back to the other two, not even noticing Emily's hand nor seeming to care who catches it (Emily, not Travis) and then he's pulling open the door and crawling into the back seat.

"Go with him," said Andy to no one in particular. "I'll go distract the hick dicks." He heads over to the front of his store.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:57 am
by Laine
In his rational mind he probably wouldn't consider driving away from the police with his new co-worker and a near stranger, but he wasn't in a rational state. The vulnerability of the man before him disarmed Travis through truly reasoning about his actions or the consequences.

How many times did he ask that we shouldn't get the police involved, that we could work out things on our own? How many times did we only have eachother, but really we had no one?

Travis will climb into the back seat after Walter and will look for a towel or anything he can use to clean the blood off Walter's face.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 am
by Kadael
Emily finally notices that her phone is still pressed to her ear - and that she's still on the line. Quickly, she ends the call, gets in the driver's seat, and puts the keys in the ignition.

She looks over her shoulder at Travis while she's buckling her seatbelt. "How is he?"

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 am
by Laraqua
The car is pretty damn clean on the inside. Nice enough. A button push ignition and all that. But absolutely nothing you could use to clean the blood off his face. Unless Travis counts the clothing they are currently wearing.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:20 am
by Laine
OOC,I knew I should have taken some points in first aid
What happens next is nearly instinct from his profession. Travis takes his hand and looks around the hair line of Walter for any signs of deeper cuts, he puts his hand on his shoulder and asks.

"Can you show me wear it hurts the most? I don't have anything to clean you off but maybe there is something at the hotel. We'll keep you safe, don't worry."

He nearly begins to cradle his head but hold back realizing this is a full grown man and not one of his students.

It's my job afterall, to keep children safe..

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 am
by Laraqua
Luckily, Travis has some experiencewith head injuries. There's a nasty gash over the forehead, likely caused by the impact of a bottle, judging by the glass shards in his jacket. Not a booze bottle because that probably wouldn't have shattered against a skull. His wooziness isn't caused by the blood loss. Scalp wounds bleed a lot but they rarely bleed badly enough to be the real concern. No, the concern is the fact his brain would have bounced against his skull and must have significant bruising for his wooziness. The man is obviously concussed though his pupils appear to be respond to the light just fine when Travis flicks on the interior car light. It's best not to let him sleep simply so they can ensure that he doesn't deteriorate and fall into a coma without anyone noticing. The other concern is that whatever that gunk is - it can't be healthy mixed up in his blood like that. The left side of his face is fair stained in it, his hair is drenched, and there's even some of it about to run into right (previously ungunked) eye.

At least Walter has the presence of mind to buckle himself in. "Shut up and drive!" He says it without malice. His tone rings with anxiety. Perhaps he is an escaped convict.

...Who was at a book signing?

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:38 am
by Kadael
Emily snaps back to the wheel, shuts up, and begins driving to the hotel.

The sirens in the distance worry her. She's not looking forward to a confrontation now that Walter has quite loudly expressed his anxieties.

Why is he so afraid, though? Silent Hill is... well, it's Silent Hill, and that's why they have the police. They serve and protect, don't they?

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:49 am
by Laine
"Don't worry, Emily is driving us to the hotel now. Walter, I have to stop this blood and fluid from getting into your eye. I'm just going to use my sleeve to soak it up and to keep it from getting in your eye. Perhaps we can tilt your head back in order to keep the blood flow away?"

He pulls the sleeve over his wrist and uses it as a rag to soak up some of the blood and whitish fluid.

" I am not sure what this white fluid is, Walter, but we should make sure it doesn't get int your mouth or a mucus membrane."

He looks over to Emily and tries to give her eye contact through the rear view mirror. He gives her a rather uncertain and nervous look.

"It looks like he may have been hit in the head pretty bad, he might go into a coma should he fall asleep."

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 am
by Laraqua
Walter tilts his head back, lips parted slightly, as he stares up at the ceiling so he can dab the fluid off of his face. It reveals the lines of his jaw and throat quite nicely. There weren't many men who could still look sexy with a head injury. His eyes widen at the mention of a 'coma' and he startles in his seat. "No? What! No? I'm not ... I'm fine."

Emily easily makes the drive to Lakeview Hotel without any complications from the police. It gives them a few tense minutes to figure out how they were going to get him past the desk clerk and into his room without any issue.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:07 am
by Kadael
Emily meets Travis's eyes for a second, then looks back at the road. "Well... don't let him. If we could..." She trails off, not wanting to trigger another reaction from Walter by mentioning the hospital again.

"He obviously can't walk very far... how are we going to get him up the stairs, let alone into the hotel at all?" Maybe their combined strength could do something, but it's unlikely. Emily isn't exactly a strong woman, and Travis is more than a little scrawny-looking. "And the front desk. We'll look suspicious if we can't figure something out."

"If you have ideas, I'm listening."

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:15 am
by Laine
" We'll I hope you will be okay, but then I am not a medical professional either."

Travis couldn't help but feel a certain sense of fulfillment that Walter would accept his assistance. A half smile struggled through his face as he recalled his own memories.

"I know this isn't quite the same, but I remember I tried to run away from home with my best friend because my parents were going to send me away for medical testing. I am not sure what you are going through right now, but I am sure you must have your reasons. I know I did, I was very afraid."

By showing empathy and an understanding of his situation, Travis hopes that Walter will feel secure enough to share with him why he doesn't want to go to the hospital.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:50 am
by Laraqua
Travis' words manage to soothe Walter somewhat though more time would be needed to have much of an impact. Walter's eyes focus on him. "I'm not that concussed. It's..." He wipes some of the whitish liquid of his face. "It's a White Claudia compound, like PVT, but... I'm already starting to trip out." His gaze drifts past Travis, and then he flinches and snaps his attention back to his hands. "I can walk. I'm sure I can walk. I just can't go to hospital. Dad worked there ... he was a doctor ... Doctor Kauffman. He went missing but I-I don't trust his friends and I know he had a friend with the police. I don't know who. I don't..." He stares straight out through the front windshield as Emily crosses the bridge onto Nathan Avenue. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" he mutters, staring at the Lakeside Amusement Park.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:43 am
by Laine
Travis will finish cleaning the fluid from his face and will try not to get any on his own skin if possible. The fact that he Walter seemed to believe that he was drugged was very concerning to him in a lot of ways.

Can it pass through the skin like that...? Perhaps he is starting to see things? I mean, he did say he was tripping out.

" I am sorry, I don't know what White Claudia or PVT is. Are they a type of drug(s)?"

As Travis asks him this he will also look out the window towards the amusement park.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 am
by Kadael
"It's a flower that grows around here," says Emily. "The seeds are known for being hallucinogenic, and sometimes it's made into drugs - like PTV."

Curious, she also looks out the window, though she doesn't expect to see anything out of the ordinary.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 am
by Laraqua
The Amusement Park passes on their right with the usual stream of late-night amusement park goers. It was open until 9PM from Thursdays to Sundays and closed at 6PM every other day during the tourist season. There wasn't anyone there at the moment other than a few painters touching up some of the fences and signs. They continue along Nathan Avenue a short way before they reach the Lakeview Hotel. It's a trememendous three-storey hotel, wide and broad, and touchingly backlit by the lowering sun. There's plenty of spaces to park around the front and go in through the front entrance - or go around the side and come in through the rear-most entrance. Walter giggles slightly under his breath. "Highway to hell..."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:41 am
by Laine
Entering the hotel without alarming people will be difficult to say the least.
The back entrance would be optimal, but most hotels keep every entrance other than the front locked.

"Emily we should go around to the back for now. Walter, do you have a key card that might get us through the back door?"

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:46 am
by Kadael
Emily curves around to the back of the building, tossing a worried glance at Walter when he starts giggling. She doesn't know much about White Claudia beyond what basically every resident does - she's neither a medical worker nor a dealer.

She looks around for an inconspicuous place to park, though that might not be easy, considering that it's tourist season and all.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 am
by Laraqua
The only parking spaces are at the front of the hotel but there doesn't seem to be anyone loitering out the front of the hotel. A side gate would lead them around the side into the beautiful courtyard and pier that is at the rear (and prettiest) part of the hotel. The rear doors would be unlocked. They led past the cafe and restaurant, after all, and to the entrance to the downstairs bar. Still, it wasn't guaranteed that anyone would see them. Those rooms didn't have interior windows, after all (considered to be too tacky) and it'd be a short walk to the stairs or - better yet - the elevator while the front-most lobby was quite large and most certainly had someone manning the desks.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:07 am
by Laine
" Which way shall we go, Walter? I haven't been into this hotel before, but maybe you or Emily have an idea?"

Travis will step out of the car when Emily parks and will offer Walter his hand if he needs help out of the car.

Mom always said I was an enabler.. A follower.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 am
by Kadael
Emily maneuvers into a space that's as close to the gate as she can get, then parks the car. She unbuckles her seatbelt and leans over to really get a good look at Travis and Walter.

"Walter, how are you doing?" She does her best to smile, even though she's nervous as hell. "We're here."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:13 am
by Laraqua
Walter struggles out of his seat, seeming more energetic than before, though there's still a little bit of fresh blood flowing from the clotted wound. Travis knows that the cut wasn't all that deep or long, though it should probably get some stitches if it wasn't going to scar. Of course, if it did scar, it'd probably just add to Walter's appeal. He manages to move out of the car and grabs Travis' hand, damn near colliding with him from his momentum and unsteady legs.

"Damn rental, I'm not getting any bond back on that one," Walter said, grabbing Travis shoulder (lightly but firmly) and shaking him a little with each word. He slouches in order to catch Travis' eye. "Let's go watch the sunset out on the lake. Can wash my face in the lake. That corpse-ridden lake! Poor steamer."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:24 am
by Laine
Travis can't help but be taken aback by the sudden turn in Walter's demeanor.

I've been talked to and treated like this before by my father and by Calvin and now by this man too. I don't even know him, so why should I have gone this far already? Look at me though, will I ever be happy?

Travis is nearly too afraid to move and doesn't want to make Walter more upset by pulling away.

"Walter, I would love to go to the lake with you, but you should sleep now, please or at least rest."

Corpses, what the hell does he mean?

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 am
by Laraqua
"Rest? With a concussion? Have you gone mad?" Walter gives him a strange look. "I think you must've gotten some PTV in your eye." He broke away from Travis, panting with sudden anger, his hands balling into fists. "The bastards ... the damn bastards...." He looks up suddenly. "I have to go to my room. Or get out of here." He glanced at his car. "Get out of here..." He turns back to the other two and clasps his hands together, pleading, an urgent look in his eye. "Please, please help me back and get out of here. Drive me out of this town. Please? If I stay here they'll.... I've been bad. I've been naughty. They...." His gaze slides over into the middle distance and his eyes widen and glisten with suddenly present tears as though he's seeing something horrible. "I can't be here."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:41 am
by Kadael
Emily hops out of the car and runs over to Travis and Walter. "What do we do?" she mouths to Travis while reaching for Walter's hand. They can't drive him out of town in good conscience - for God's sake, the man is drugged and hallucinating.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:43 am
by Laraqua
Walter allows her to take his hand and even squeezes it back in return.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 am
by Laine
Throughout his years of teaching, Travis had always been a nurturing and compassionate and gentle person, who had struggles setting boundaries with his students. He had worked hard to create a sense of structure and consistency in his life and in his classroom but now that was starting to unravel.

The urgency, the tears. Maybe my life would have been different if someone had listened to me..

"No, Walter you haven't done anything wrong, you are just afraid."

Maybe he has done bad things?..

Don't become too entangled in the emotions of the child, because that can prevent you from doing the right thing. That's what he had always been told, but it also felt horribly uncaring.

How can I not care?

" Walter, I will do what I can to help."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:59 am
by Laraqua
Walter flings himself at him, pulling him into a tight hug. Shame about the jacket or he might have felt the musculature beneath the shirt. "Thank you, I have to get my things and we have to leave. I have to get out of here before things get worse. I have enemies... I have..." His gaze slid away again to that same spot. "It has to be lies, but ... but...." His attention snaps back to him. "What if it wasn't a lie?" He releases him and starts to pace. "No, no, I don't want to see the angels again... My father ... he ... he went missing. He disappeared a few years ago. No one knows why or ... or how! But.... I just have to get out of here before it gets worse. She wants me!"

In the broken voice of a child he mutters, "She always did...."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 am
by Laine
"'However, we need to make sure that you are okay and in a calm state of mind too. I think we should go to your room for the time being.."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 am
by Laraqua

"All right, first, I need my things." Walter strides toward the back of the building, only slightly wonky on his feet, and enters through a side gate in the hedge row. Dusk is already setting in and it cases the hotel in beautiful colours despite the fact that it should only be around 6.00PM or so. If anyone checks their watch, they will find that it's 7.35PM. Time has certainly flown.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 am
by Kadael
Emily nods absently as she looks on. Is she jealous? Of course not. That's ridiculous. Why would she even think about something like that at a time like this?

She turns toward the car and locks it, then glances at the side gate. Above all, she reminds herself that anything Walter is saying is probably a result of that White Claudia stuff.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:08 am
by Laine
Travis will follow Walter inside through the halls of the hotel, but will try to stay several steps behind in order to stay in closer proximity to Emily.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 am
by Kadael
Emily brings up the rear, unsure of what's going to happen once they reach Walter's room.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 am
by Laraqua
Walter opens the rear doors and passes the cafe and restaurant, heading straight for the set of stairs just left of the rear entry hallway. He staggers up the wooden steps to the second floor and then turns the corner and heads up the third, leaning heavily on the wallpapered walls all the way. They follow him down a corridor until he reaches his hotel room. You can both vaguely hear him muttering the same two words over and over, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...." Walter fumbles with the room key before it finally enters the lock and he turns it to reveal a rather ordinary and tidy bedroom.

"I'm going to clean up," said Walter, turning right the moment enters the room and going through the door into the bathroom. He shuts it behind him (though it isn't locked if anybody checks it).

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 am
by Laine
While he wasn't certain that Walter is suicidal, the erratic behavior and recalling of traumatic childhood memories gave Travis more than enough reason to worry. He will follow behind Walter and knock on the bathroom door.

"Walter, I am going to come into give you a hand."
He should t be alone.

Without waiting for a reply Travis will open the door.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:09 am
by Laraqua
Walter has flung his jacket to the floor and is busy wetting his shirt in the sink with one hand and groping for the bathtub taps with the other hand. He's even more handsome topless. Even though some of the whitish fluid (and some of the blood) has stained the back of his neck.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:28 am
by Kadael
When Emily notices the rather attractive spectacle in the bathroom, she slides in with a schoolgirl's blush on her face despite the seriousness of the situation. "Oh, I can help."

She promptly yanks a fluffy towel off the rack, then turns the bathtub taps for him.

There is absolutely no ulterior motive behind this.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:03 pm
by Laine
At this point Travis will step back in order to not confuse the poor man any further.

It looks like she has it taken care of and perhaps they've known eachother over the years anyway. He might get overwhelmed again like he did earlier with both of us in there.

Travis will take a look around the room and find a place to sit down.

Did I even bring my paints...?

He asks himself as he sits down on one of the sofas.

This may be a long night.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 pm
by Laraqua
Walter raises the shirt to clean his face, then catches a glimpse of Emily in the mirror and whips around, pressing back against the basis. "Alessa?!"

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:39 pm
by Kadael
Alessa?

She turns, looking Walter in the eyes. The water continues to run behind her. "No, Emily."

Emily takes a tiny step closer, flushed and confused.
OOC,I'm unsure what I'd roll to see if Emily recognizes the name Alessa *coughA.G.cough*.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:06 am
by Laraqua
Walter stares at her for a moment as though expecting to see the secrets of the universe in her eyes and reached out to brush a few stray strands of hair back from her cheek. "I'm sorry I left. I couldn't stay... I thought you'd..." His face crinkles up as though her words were finally filtering in. "Emily?"
Emily,That'd be a History roll, which you [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3318338/]succeeded[/url], to recognise that was the girl who died in a housefire that claimed a few neighbouring houses about twenty or so years ago and to know that the poor girl was deeply unpopular - the other kids used to claim she was a witch and she only had a couple friends but Principal Roseworthy used to take pity on her. There's been a lot of tragedies in Silent Hill. And [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3318340/]HOLY CRAP[/url], I didn't think you'd make the Silent Hill Mythos roll but you did ... Principal Roseworthy confided in Emily that she believed Alessa Gillespie was the victim of a rather abusive cult who believed that they could birth some kind of God or Goddess (the sources differ) from her by burning her alive! She'd believed that Alessa, in fact, wasn't dead but was being kept alive in a basement under Alchemilla Hospital by Dr. Kauffman - who is Walter's father! At the time, you'd just thought the whole thing silly and so many years have passed that you didn't connect Walter to his father, let alone to the cult myths (especially since he was rarely in Silent Hill as his father sent him to boarding school within a month of Alessa's death). The Principal believed that the cult used drugs, specifically PTV and other derivatives of White Claudia, to get closer to their God and that they used these drugs during the indoctrination processes. By the end of it, Principal Roseworthy believed the cult had succeeded in widening the cracks of some Other Place that was tied to Silent Hill and that had always been there and that the God they served ruled that plane of existence but which the cult wished to pull out into this world. Principal Roseworthy would know more -- but she also cautioned that the cult was utterly dedication, completely ruthless, and capable of extreme violence. Walter was one of Alessa Gillespie's few friends!

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:02 am
by Kadael
Emily gasps involuntarily when he touches her face, though she's not sure if it's from the contact or the memory.

"Walter, Alessa... she's dead."

A pause. She swallows, eyes downcast.

"Isn't she?"

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 am
by Laraqua
Walter steps back like he's been stung and nearly falls into the bathtub. "No, I ... I don't know." He turns to the sink to wet the shirt and clean off his face.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:13 am
by Kadael
Quietly, Emily turns away and walks out the door, not even giving him a second glance. Travis is also ignored as she goes back to the room's main area and finds a chair.

She rests her elbows on her knees and stares at the floor. He's just... not thinking right. Because of the drugs. And Roseworthy was insane as they come. Of course Alessa's dead.

It all fits together too well to ignore, though.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:07 am
by Laine
Travis can't help but notice the distressed look on Emily's face as she comes out of the bathroom. He gets out of his seat as Emily approaches and tries to whisper.

" I am not sure what we should do, I mean he should seek medical attention, but I don't want him to get too angry either.."

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:35 am
by Kadael
"God, I don't know." Emily sighs, shaking her head. "This is... I'm just trying to think something out."

The last thing she wants is to scare Travis away - he's full of refreshing idealism that she hasn't seen in a long time.

But this business with Walter isn't going to leave them alone, is it?

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:14 am
by Laine
Listen Roll,http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3318680/ I went ahead and made a listen check to see if Travis ovcerheard what they were saying while Emily and Walter were in the bathroom.
Travis will attempt to keep his voice in a very hushed tone while he continues to speak to Emily.

"Emily, who is Alessa that Walter is talking about? You said she was dead? He must be hallucinating in an extreme manner if he is saying such a thing. We need to keep him calm though in his current state, if we can."

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 am
by Kadael
"She was a friend of Walter's who went to Midwich. She died in a house fire." Emily keeps her explanation deliberately simple, not lifting her gaze from the floor.

Hallucinating. Right. "White Claudia does that kind of thing. It..." She pauses, and lets out a sharp sigh. "It could be more dangerous. I don't know."

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:11 am
by Laraqua
The sound of running taps continues to come from the bathroom, followed by the clump-clump of discarded shoes, and the sound of someone stripping off. Now they likely have a naked drugged out man on their hands who is by far more muscular than either of them.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:22 am
by Laine
"Do you feel like he will be okay in there by himself?"

How many times did mom and I pull dad, drunk out of the tub?

"I mean if he's under the influence of a drug like that?"

Travis has a concerned look, as usual.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:28 am
by Kadael
"Well, I don't..." Emily rubs the back of her neck, and feels a flush blooming under her skin. She's making a good show of being caught between goodwill and propriety. "We probably shouldn't do anything right now. If something happens, we're right here."

"Interrupting a dangerously hallucinating man's bath is probably a bad idea," she says in a low voice.

No matter how sexy that man is.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:45 am
by Laine
"Maybe, but it doesn't really seems like he cares either, I mean the door is open and all..At least he isn't wanting to drive away like mad at this point."

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:07 am
by Laine
Travis will head towards the bathroom door.

"Walter, how are you doing?"

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:09 am
by Laraqua
Travis gets an eyeful as Walter slowly and carefully lowers himself into the bath water. "There's no shower so this'll have to do. I'm going to try not to sleep or hallucinate too badly."

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 am
by Laine
Travis had an interest in various plant based medicine and nature, the fact of a local plant with the proported propities of White Claudia intrigued him.

"can you tell me anything else about PVT?"

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:28 am
by Laraqua
"They make it from White Claudia which grows around here. It's a local plant. Local properties. People make the drug and push it. Mostly locally."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:25 am
by Laine
"It seems like you are doing okay for the time being. Who are 'they' that you speak of, who would attack you with a drug like that and for what reason?"

Travis will attempt to pull up any chair that is near by and place it by the bathroom door. He won't try to invade Walter's space if at all possible.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:57 am
by Laraqua
"We don't talk about them," said Walter, in a soft, almost childish voice as he stares at the tiled walls. "No one talks about them."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:06 am
by Laine
"They do sound like people that maybe you wouldn't want to talk about. They also sound very frightening. Earlier it sounded like you were afraid of being punished."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:10 am
by Laraqua
Walter sinks lower into the bathtub. "They want to show me the angels ... to remind me.... I don't want to see the angels again."

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:17 am
by Laine
Angels?? This person is very damaged indeed..I wonder what kind of doctor his father was.

"I am sorry, I guess some people have very strong religous beliefs. I personally don't have many at all..I will be here for the time being, Walter, if you should need anything. "

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:24 am
by Laraqua
Walter nods and bows his head and is silent for a long moment before he begins muttering toward the water. "I need to leave. They'll come for me. I need to go. They'll find me. I don't want to go back. I don't want to see it again. Don't want to see the angels. I can feel it, though. I can feel them looking for me. The euphoria ... the euphoria ... I need to go. Can't stay. The drugs, they're binding me ... so addictive ... this euphoria ... so calming ... but I don't want to see it and I know how ... the drugs don't always ... but sometimes ... if you know ... if you look ... Alessa, I'm sorry ... there's nothing left for me here ... you're all dead ... aren't you? Dead or missing ... I'm so sorry ... I didn't mean to ... it wasn't my fault ... I couldn't do anything ... are you mad? Of course you're mad. I shouldn't have come here ... it was true ... all true ... I see that now ... I'm sorry ... so sorry...." He continues to ramble the same basic concepts over and over again.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm
by Laine
Self deprication is something I am no stranger to.

Travis will turn away from the door for the time being and will approach, Emily.

"He really seems not present or very lucid. Do you happen to know how long the effects of the drug last?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:09 am
by Kadael
She shakes her head, still averting her eyes regardless of whether or not she's even at a good angle. "I'm a library assistant, Travis. Not a doctor."

Briefly, she thinks of Alchemilla. She can't blame Walter for avoiding it. Hospitals are gloomy places, and Alchemilla even more so. "Maybe someone at-" she glances at the bathroom, then mouths 'the hospital' - "would know these things... but I don't think we should leave him like this."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:10 am
by Laine
"It seems like there is no one at the hospital he trusts? Are there any family practice physicians or therapists in town that he might be morecomfortable with? Surely there must be someone in town he doesn't have a history with. I know he wants to leave, but I am unsure about that as well.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 am
by Kadael
"There are some smaller clinics around... but it's pretty late." Emily checks the time with her phone. "I think they'd all be closed."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:22 am
by Laine
"So do we just way out the night here then?"

Travis seems uncertain about what he should do.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:23 am
by Laraqua
The hotel telephone rings, startling them both with its sudden, demanding tone.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 am
by Laine
A jolt of nervous energy passed through Travis' body at the ringing of the phone, it's almost as though the ringing is emanating through him. He moves closer towards the bathroom door.

"Walter, were you expecting anyone to call?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:29 am
by Kadael
Emily jumps to her feet. Once she sees that Travis isn't going for the phone, she walks over and picks up the receiver.

"Hello?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:04 am
by Laraqua
"You should leave before things get worse, little lady," croaks an elderly woman's voice.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:08 am
by Kadael
Emily's eyes go wide, and she drops the handset. Who is - why - how do they know she's here?

She cautiously peers out the window, flinging any curtains aside.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:25 am
by Laraqua
The sun is setting and the world is growing more gloomy but she can't make out anything more than the beautiful pine trees and the courtyard behind the building with the beautiful hedgerows and the sparkling Lake Toluca. There's no sign of anyone out there but who can be certainly, really, that they hadn't been seen going inside.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 am
by Laine
Travis awkwardly walks towards the window where Emily is standing.

"Emily, who was that?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:45 am
by Kadael
There's a quiver in her voice as she turns away from the window. "I don't know. But they know we're here."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:03 am
by Laine
Travis moves towards the phone as quick as he can and will hang it up on the receiver.
Before hand he had been wary innregards to the police but now that he feels threatened he will resort to to dialing the authorities.

"Emily, we have to call the police if we are being threatened, no matter how Walter thinks."

He doesn't bother trying to speak to whoever is on the other line before he dials the police or 911.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:12 am
by Laraqua
"911, what is your emergency?" asked a professional woman's voice on the other end. Travis doesn't know the local police off the top of his head.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:13 am
by Laine
OOC,what roll would my character need to make a connection about other ethnogens that have been used for therapeutic or ritualistic purposes?

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:15 am
by Laraqua
Hide,Pharmacy for therapeutic and Occult for ritualistic.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:22 am
by Laine
OOC,I would have felt natural history or anthropology would have been more appropriate
What is my emergency exactly? I've against good reasoning prevented a man from seeking medical attention. I don't even know what happened.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to call. It's just me and some friends are at our hotel and someone is making threatening calls to us.."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:33 am
by Laraqua
"I see. Perhaps you should call the local authorities?" asked the woman, her tone suddenly clipped and annoyed. "This is an emergency line."
Hide,Well, Pharmacy is actually all about medications and their therapeutic uses. It's what the skill is actually for. i.e. the book states Pharmacy allows the user to recognize, compounds, and perhaps dispense a wide variety of drugs and potions, natural and man-made, and understands side effects and contra-indications. He or she has a good practical knowledge of poisons and antidotes, and can use Pharmacy as a first-aid skill in cases of poisoning. Voila, pharmacy. Natural History represents the traditional knowledge and personal observations of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists and identifies species, habits and habitats in a general way and what may be important to a particular species. Such as judging horse flesh at a country fair. It could be used to know a bit about the species, White Claudia, and a vague understanding that its a mild hallucinogen, but not a whole lot more. Anthropology enables the user to identify and understand an individual's way of life from his behavior. If he observes another culture form within for a time, or works from accurate records an extict culture, he or she may make simple predictions about that culture's ways and morals, even though the evidence may be incomplete. Occult allows you to recognize occult paraphernalia, words, and concepts, and identifies grimoires of magic and occult codes when he sees them as well as being familiar with the families of secret knowledge passed down. It's not as fitting as Pharmacy, really, in knowing what the drugs do (and what the drugs actually are) but it can give names and religious theories surrounding them. I'm happy for you to roll both Pharmacy and Occult to see what you can learn about those sorts of drugs. You may roll Natural History to try to figure out where you might find White Claudia, the flower. You may also roll Anthropology to figure out a bit of information about what sort of society has surrounded Walter from what you know thus far. You can roll all four, I'll give you information based on your successes.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:44 am
by Laine
" I apologize."

He hangs up the phone and turns to Emily.

"What shall we do?"
OOC,I wasn't thinking White Claudia specifically. Mostly in the contex of other cultures( which I have a good grasp on.) using mushrooms, cacti, etc.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:59 am
by Laraqua
"I don't know," said Emily. "But this is getting serious. Look, I don't want to worry you ... but Silent Hill has always had a high amount of missing persons and Shepherd's Glen has lost a large number of individuals over the past decade. We should step carefully. Oh, I don't know. Principal Roseworthy used to hint at a lot but I don't know much. It could just be an angry ex-girlfriend, for all we know. In fact, that's a lot more likely."
Hide,Know skill would be enough for generic knowledge and theorising. Feel free to make a Know skill if you want to draw on your own player knowledge and pull that in-game. History would work if you have A LOT of knowledge about those details. You can also roll those other skills if you want hints that direct you to stuff that's a bit more specific to the current situation (not that general knowledge isn't handy).

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 am
by Laine
Other people missing over the years. Are these just isolated incidents? Something seems out of place here.

Travis gazes out the window towards the lake.

"Emily, I saw a young girl about 7 to 9 wandering around the streets by herself. Normally, I wouldn't be concerned by such a thing in a small community such as this, but do children go missing as well a lot here? I mean I know I have no children of my own, but..I don't want to judge people either, I am sorry."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 am
by Laraqua
"Yeah, it-it happens," said Emily. "What kinda girl, though? What did she look like? Maybe I know her."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:33 am
by Laine
"Well she was blond and blue eyed with a white and blue dress, I believe. It was the oddest thing, she told me first her name was Casey and then Jessica, I am not sure if either were her actual name. She always wanted to go to the amusement park, later I learned that she had been at the hospital and her parents were worried."

Walter has been at the hospital and has horrible memories, it seems. Did this girl run away from there...?

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 am
by Laraqua
"I don't recognise the names and description," said Emily. "Sometimes people do let their children roam, even though it's never a good idea. So, what're we going to do? Just wait until he sobers up?" She wrinkles up her face. "And do you think they meant their threat?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:53 am
by Laine
" I suppose we could. You did say it wasn't good to be out when it gets dark due to animal attacks. So, we had better decide soon. He seems pretty delusional at the moment, but I don't think he will hurt anyone."

He looks around the room briefly.

"I know this sounds a little off the wall, but we should make sure that his environment is calmin and soothing, especially if he is under the influence of a psychoactive."
OOC,I guess he should make all applicable rolls as we discussed earlier?

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:16 am
by Laraqua
Travis can't recall a lot of the bits and pieces he's read over time but he does recall that there are a number of wilderness drugs that are out there. Mushrooms, cacti, toads, and certain roots can also have some interesting affects on the human body. The thing is that natural drugs generally have to be ingested or burnt and breathed in and generally don't pass through the mucus membranes of the eye (and he doesn't recall any that pass through the skin). PVT obviously can. This might be because of the White Claudia flower or due to whatever chemical alterations they made when they make the compounds. White Claudia is a very localised plant, he recalls, that grows near the lake and nowhere else. He thinks he recalls hearing that people tried to grow it elsewhere and failed but it's hard to be sure. Travis can't recall much about historical uses in America of these sorts of drugs, either. Perhaps he's too stressed at the moment. Maybe if he had access to a computer or a library he could look it up.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:46 am
by Laine
It seems like there may be religous implications to this plant amongst these people?

"Emily, I am not sure, you are the one who heard it. Do you think we are going to be secure here for the time being though?"

Travis will head towards the hotel room door and make sure the chain lock or bolt is locked.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:07 pm
by Laraqua
"I don't know. They didn't say much. Just that we should leave if we want to stay safe. I-I mean, there are rumors? Look, maybe you should head home. I'm known here and generally if they want to beat him up, they won't beat a woman up as badly." She hugs herself. "It was a woman's voice, after all. Croaky."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:46 pm
by Laine
She might be right, I mean what do I have to gain by staying here? On the other hand how do I make it home on my own.

"I am not so sure, we all came here in Walter's car and it would take me a while to make it on foot."

If I could make it at all.

"We could all go...nevermind."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:02 pm
by Laraqua
"You could call a taxi," said Emily, gesturing to the telephone. She bites her lip nervously. "It's just ... you're new here. No need to get swept up in all the madness right away, huh?

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 pm
by Laine
"If you really think youmwillbe okay with him here."

Travis, will tilt his head towards the bathroom door but will pick up the phone and see if there is a phone book near by. If there is he will look up a taxi number and dial.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:27 pm
by Laraqua
"I'm not afraid of Walter. From what I've heard about him, he's a really good guy. I mean, he's a writer. They're about the least scary profession. And he's been a fireman in Christchurch for who knows how long so I pity anyone who attacks, even if he's a bit drugged at the time. I'm sure I'll be fine."

Travis can't see a phone book but Emily knows the cab company number and gives it to him.

"You should ask them to meet you in the lobby," said Emily. "Just to be safe."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:43 pm
by Laine
"Hmm.I'd probably just get in his way anyway."

He laughs a bit, but it's nervous and doesn't help to break the tension.

WIth the number now in hand he will make the call to the taxi company.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 pm
by Laraqua
"Hello, this is Bertram's Cab Company. How may I help you?" chirps a friendly young man's voice on the other end of the line.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 pm
by Laine
Despite the recent events Travis attempts to maintain a calm and steady voice. He will also write the number down should he need it in the future.

"Yes, can I arrange for a pick up at the Lakeview Hotel. Just outside the lobby would be nice if possible. Travis is my name, thank you."

He hangs up the phone when he is done and turns to Emily.

"You can feel free to call me should anything happen. I just got a new phone.."

Travis will give her the phone number to the cellphone that Calvin had given him.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 pm
by Laraqua
"All right, thank you," said Emily, jotting it down in her telephone. "They probably won't be long so you should probably head down to the lobby now."

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 am
by Laine
"Well, I hope to see you at Midwich in the morning. Tell Walter that he can call me if he needs to talk as well."

He gives Emilyone last look and tries to smile as he shuts the hotel leaving Emily alone with someone on the verge of mental collapse.
With that he will head down the hallway and towards the stairwell to the lobby.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:22 am
by Laraqua
Travis can hear the key turning in the lock as he leaves and heads down the hallway into the lobby to await the taxi cab. Within a few minutes, a set of headlights flash against the windows and someone honks their horn. Peering out the window reveals a Toluca Cab Company taxi cab sitting just out the front of the doors.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 am
by Laine
Once he sees the taxi, Travis will go outside to meet it.Rather than sitting in the front passenger seat he will open the door to the back and sit down. When he buckles his safety belt Travis will look towards the cab driver.

"14 Bradbury Street, please."

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:46 am
by Laraqua
The cab driver nods and drives Travis away from the hotel and all of the trouble he's encountered thus far. It doesn't take very long at all for him to end up parking outside of his property with a quick request for the fare. Soon, Travis is out of the cab and heading to the front door of his home. Despite the darkness, there's no sign of trouble anywhere around him.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:28 am
by Laine
What kind of town have I moved too? So serene on the surface..An insane former principal, some mad woman running around town throwing mind bending drugs on people. As hard as he used to hit at least I could predict Calvin. l

Travis wil look to the house of his neighbor's as he walks to his front door.

Will they be fighting again tonight?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:36 am
by Laraqua
The street seems quiet enough. A quick glance around makes the entire place seem like the serene resort town that he once thought it was. There's barely even any traffic noises, other than that of the taxi cab driving away. It looks like it'll be a pretty quiet night now that he's left all of that madness behind.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:01 am
by Laine
Travis will enter his home, exhausted he will sit down on the sofa. His life is in as much of a disaray as the piles of boxes that remain unpacked. After a few moments he will get up and open a box labeled 'personal'. Inside is a small stuffed panda which has seen it's own share of hardship.

This poor thing is stained in my tears from how many years? I can't believe I honestly miss him..

Underneath the panda he fumbles around with a variety of hastily packed belongings until he comes to a picture of himself and Calvin.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 am
by Laraqua
The picture seems faded for some reason, as though its been overly exposed to the light.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:14 am
by Laine
He will place the picture down for the time being and he nearly assumes a fetal position as he cradles the bear in his hands and begins to sob for the first time since he left to Silent Hill.

I shouldn't have left him..He would have been my chance to forget all that I have been through. I could have started again, this one I know I could have helped. There was no way anyone could have helped me and Calvin, it had to end..It would have been only a matter of time before he wouldn't have released his grasp around my neck. It would have only been a matter of time before we got in an accident because of his drinking..

As he continues his crying he will attempt to make out the time through his tear flooded eyes.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:17 am
by Laraqua
The tear-smeared hands slowly coalesce into view: 7:46PM. It's been barely a couple hours since he met Walter and yet it feels like so much has happened and so much time has passed. A dog barks outside, but it sounds like a little terrier. Nothing frightening there.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:28 am
by Laine
Travis blinks at the clock and then uses the panda to mop up his tears as he has always done since he first got it when he was 7 or was it 6,8 or 9? He wasn't certain anymore other than he had it for a very long time.

Are these the dogs Emily is afraid of? I have to work in the morning and somehow make my way to the hospital to sign up for volunteering..

He thinks of the events of today as he pulls our a diary of his and begins to write out the events of the day as he remembers them..

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:30 am
by Laraqua
There's plenty to jot down in diary but it's only just passing 8.00PM by the time that he's finished. Maybe he could get to sleep right away or find some way to kill the time until it's his usual bedtime.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:44 am
by Laine
double post

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:45 am
by Laine
Travis with great care and attention to detail will take out his paint set and head towards his easel.

Journaling is okay, but it can be too literal at times. Painting on the other hand equally takes into account the view point of the perceiver..

He chooses a palate of mostly grey, black and white shades and begins to paint a scene of how he'd imagine Walter as a young child. A great deal of imagery surrounds the young child, a hospital bed, a white flower, angels..The only color in the painting are the piercing blue eyes (they sparkle like the lake) of the young Walter which seem to stare back at him as he completes the painting. Somehow within the painting he manages to capture the innocence and fear that every child experiences.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:55 am
by Laraqua
It's a rather beautiful painting and he feels like he's captured Walter perfectly. Oddly enough, the painting has Walter with bandaged hands and a tear-streaked face and there's someone lying on the hospital bed, just a lump beneath the sheet, face hidden by Walter's body, but blonde hair visible around the edges. There's a glimpse of something in the mirror hung on the wall by the edge of the painting. The edge of black hair and a smooth, oval face. Travis doesn't recall intending to paint either of those two images into the picture.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 am
by Laine
The paintbrush and painter's palate fall to the ground beneath his feet as Travis begins to notice the additional details in his painting.

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary. Picasso once said that..What happened to you, Walter..? Perhaps, but this is my painting and not his. Did I hold hands with god?? Maplethorp spoke to an artists' ability to walk hand in hand with the divine. How could I have forgotten that I painted this?No one else could have..it must have been me..

Despite his uncertainty Travis will gaze further into his painting(it is his, right), his attention focused on whatever lays beyond the mirror.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:44 am
by Laraqua
There's no further details that the naked eye can see though he can certainly make out that the side of the dark-haired face appears young, or at least unblemished, but there's too few other details there. The hands themselves have been bandaged multiple times with gauze and there's no sign of blood. Perhaps it indicates a massive scrape or something similar. But what could injure both hands? He's unsure. There's bound to be a dozen different possibilities there.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 am
by Laine
Travis can't seem to stop looking at the painting for several moments.

This can't be real...perhaps my unconscious has influenced my art more than I believe. I have a lot to do in the morning..I hope he is okay, I hope everyone is okay..

He looks across the room to the night stand where he left his cell phone.

At least I am not carrying it around with me...yet.

He picks it up to check the time.

Perhaps..well why should I hope for Calvin to call?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:55 am
by Laraqua
10:32PM. Quite a lot of time has passed since he checked the clock. Calvin might still be awake ... if he called him. Alternatively, he could always call their room number and check on Walter. Or perhaps it would be better if he just went to sleep.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 am
by Laine
10:30..I didn't realize how late it has become..I have to get up in the morning..I can call them both in the morning..

Travis doesn't make it to his room, rather he curls up on the sofa with his panda and the eyes of Walter watching him as he tries to fade away into sleep.

Perhaps I won't dream tonight..that would be easier.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:23 am
by Laraqua
The dreams are a rush of random imagery that assaults his sleeping mind's eye. A naked Walter stands before him, arms out-spread like some sort of Christ-figure, surrounded by an aurora of beautiful light ... that fades into the crackle of fire and a young girl's voice screaming. A man slinks across a blood-smeared rusted catwalk, shotgun cradled in both arms, as he mouths a prayer to the Mother, and then pounces onto Travis with all of the speed of a panther, knocking him off the catwalk and tumbling down into darkness onto to land in a pool of black, brackish goo. The warm fluid, thick as oil, tasting salty like blood, rushes up his nose and fills his throat, as he struggles to find his feet and pull himself upright. The fluid still reaches his knees even as he does so, wiping fluid off his stained face with a soaked sleeve, and squinting around into the ambient glow of a rust-red building several storeys high that is crisscrossed with rusted catwalks, hung with barbed chains that hold twitching, skinned humans in thrall on multiple levels above him. A voice thrums through his ears like waves of vibration, too loud to make out the words, though it seems so very familiar, so very masculine, so very frightening. The voice of a bygone era ... of pain in the past. His father's? Calvin's? Himself? It merges, sounding like both of them, one of them, none of them, both human and inhuman. He stands in a pool of this blackish water that is surrounded by a concrete walkway with stairs that head up and down. His heart hammers in his chest. This all feels so real to him.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 am
by Laine
"Leave me alone!! I don't want to go back there, to that bed!! I just want to go outside and play! Go away dad!! Don't hit her anymore, don't hit me anymore! I just want us to be able to love eachother.."

He struggles to scream as the fluid spews forth from his mouth in the process.

Travis turns frantically around and uses the panda to try and desperately wipe away the black water that has soaked through his clothes.

My dad poured whiskey on me once..not anymore..He loves us even when he is drinking...

He puts the bear over his head and ears as he had done many times in the past in vain attempts to muffle out the sounds of his parents fighting. He struggles to make it to the stairs and tries to walk up.

This is just my subconscious and nothing else, but I have to wake up.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:39 am
by Laraqua
Travis reaches the concrete walkway and manages to pull his sodden body up onto the walkway. All of those twitching bodies seem so familiar ... like he somehow knows who it is, whose body is repeatedly tortured, repeatedly damaged again and again. The bear, at least, the panda, while sodden, somehow seems to have avoided getting any of the fluid on it. As he steps out of the fluid, the ambient light lowers and then brightens in time with the rhythmic voice that pounds in his head. He feels like he's inside his own ribcage. As though his own heart beat is pounding into him even as it pounds within him. The doors that line the concrete walkway are covered in thick, greasy chains, padlocked in the middle, but each one has a peep hole set within them, as though they were the front doors to someone's home. There are about a dozen of them that line this chamber.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:47 am
by Laine
As the world becomes more damaged the more abstract it becomes...

Travis looks frantically around himself, and to any of the bodies hanging from the wall.

"I am sorry, why did it come to this? I want to help you..you can't be dead..I am so, sorry I didn't mean to make you fight. You are fighting over me..."

None of this makes sense, but then Travis always internalized his experiences. When his parents fought it was always his fault, or at least he thought it was every time he cried himself to sleep or peered through the crack in his parent's door when his father beat his mom or raped her, whichever suited his desire at the moment.

Mommy, I can't help you..

The memories of his mother's screams seem to join the cacophonous chorus that rings through his soul as he gazes through the peep hole in the door closest to him.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:02 am
by Laraqua

The peep hole reveals a brunette man standing before some sort of altar with an image of some sort of disturbing angelic figure on the wall. The man simply stands there, swaying slightly, but otherwise standing still, and he doesn't hear any words if Travis calls out to speak with him. At least that rhythmic pounding is a little gentler the closer his eye is to the peep hole. There is a vague whiff of jasmine coming from the door.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:09 am
by Laine
"The angels..Walter talked about angels..That's all this is, just my mind processing everything that happened today, nothing more."

Jasmine..my mother's favorite tea was jasmine, she'd put it on in the morning after dad had been out drinking. She knew he wouldn't be up for a while. It was as close to peacefulness that she could come.

"Now, I am the one who makes tea after he's hurt me.."

Travis will vainly pull on the door handle despite the padlocks and chains laced across it.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:10 am
by Laraqua
The door handle rattles in the frame but does nothing more. The man, from what he can see, seems unfamiliar. Has he never met him before? But he seems strangely important...

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 am
by Laine
Who is he?

Travis crumpled next to the door with his back turned to it, he plants his face into the faux fur of the bear in an attempt to block out the macabre surroundings that he has become entangled within..The stairs and the rattling of the door have exhausted his feeble body.

"Even in my dreams I cannot escape the prison that has become my body!"

He screams aloud as he crawls towards the next door, attempts to upright himself and looks in.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:49 am
by Laraqua

The same man again in some sort of store ... or perhaps a spare room. The items inside appear to be antiques of some kind.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:54 pm
by Laine
Travis will attempt to wait longer this time, in hopes that perhaps the man turns around, so he can see his face. He clenches his body tightly with his arms and with the panda..

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 pm
by Laraqua
The man doesn't move or turn around. He simply stands there, staring off into the distance, and Travis might be forgiven for thinking he was a mannequin if not for the slight movements required to adjust his stance and keep him standing upright. The notepad appears to have something written on it but Travis can't quite make it out. One of the words is 'Antiques' at a guess, but the other words? Who knows?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 pm
by Laine
The journal stands out to Travis, as do many of the objects in the room.

A store or a closet...?

Travis will take the time to try to make our the words on the note pad and any other items of intrest in the room.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 am
by Laraqua
The handwriting is too small for Travis to make out nor can he see anything else of note in the room as his gaze flicks around.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:00 am
by Laine
Travis will move away from the second door and will head towards the next one.

"I don't think I've had a dream quite like this before. What do these rooms mean? Why does he appear beyond these doors. Is he trapped inside or am I the one locked away?"

Many more questions that he is struggling to formulate speed through his mind like a rushing current.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 am
by Laraqua

The air itself smells like a mixture of sickness, charred meat, and decay. A warmth radiates from the doorway and the vibrations intensify as Travis approaches the peep hole. His father, dressed in a suit, dangles from a noose, unflinching, unmoving, as though all life has already fled from him. Yet behind him the walls appear red raw and inflamed with a mixture of rust, blood, and degradation. The very symbol of corruption. There is nothing else in the room but his own still father.

With a lurch his father jerks in the ropes, twisting and struggling and kicking out, causing the rope to swing this way and that in spasmodic twitches as his father struggles to live.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 am
by Laine
Travis drops the panda from his arms and tries to scream, but the air remains devoid of any sound. His scream at first is silent just as his cries from throughout his life were unacknowledged and therefore may as well have been silent.

"Daddy? No, this isn't real it's just a representation of how much he hurts himself with his alcholism and drinking, that's all it is!!"

Travis will again attempt to pull the door open until he is exhausted, it doesn't take long before he is reduced to a pitiful pile of a sobbing mess, crouched underneath the door. He reaches for his bear and pulls it tightly against his face as he continues to cry.

"How many times did I wish he would die?"

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:00 am
by Laraqua
"I don't know," whispers a soft, girlish voice by his ear. "How many?"

The dream dissolves into sirens and screaming. The world falling apart as though obliterated by a nuclear explosion - everything erupting into ash and splinters - and Travis' eyes flicker open to find himself tear-soaked and panting. He full well knows sleep hormones paralyse the muscles, keeping one from leaping upright from internal dreams (the exception being external stimulus), which is lucky, because otherwise he might well have fallen off the couch at the very least. His neck aches from how he has laid and he can't feel one of his buttocks. Early morning sunlight warms the house, revealing that it's daytime already, and the clock flashes 6.56 at him.

Re: CHAPTER ONE: Travis' Journey: Arrival

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:31 am
by Laraqua
Roll a 1d100 per skill that has a (+) beside it on invisible castle. Show me the links. In all cases where your roll is higher than your skill level, you gain a skill increase because it's assumed that what you did pushed the boundaries of what you know (i.e. Listen Skill 25% and a roll result of 33). You gain a 1d10 skill increase in all of those skills where you rolled high. Post that here and I'll edit your sheet!

Congratulations. You've completed a new chapter!

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:53 am
by Laine
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3323584/

I rolled and will only have skill increases in natural history, first aid and listen. Those Are:

9, 3, 2.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3323586/

Does my character gain any history or mythos based on what other characters have told me throughout in game dialogue? I am not certain how those situations apply to the skill levels of my character.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:58 am
by Laraqua
Silent Hill Mythos is more when things click together and you start being able to predict events, or when you've got a store of information that your character can draw upon. What you've been told, you know, and I'm happy to remind you about details told from the past. You don't need to make a roll for it. The rolls are reserved for when you *might* know what's going on ... or might not ... and we have to figure that out. Has your character's readings unconvered the mystery of Alessa Gillespie, even though you never found out about her in-game.

You *can* start reading up on Silent Hill's history for a history and library use check, if you'd like. I'm happy for you to do research. Find the right books and you can get a Silent Hill Mythos check too.