Travis' Journey: Realisation

Herein you will find the earlier chapters of those unlucky enough to visit the quaint little tourist town with a weight in their hearts.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Travis' Journey: Realisation

Post by Laine »

"I think that sounds like a wise schedule for the day. I will continue with her clerical assignments for the time being and will check in at the library later this afternoon. I guess I better get back to the front desk to manage phone calls. Is there a procedures binder or sheet that I can reference in case a parent has a question?"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

"I'm not sure. I doubt she would've made something like that. It's a small school and she's never taken a day off... I doubt you'll get many, if any, calls really. Heck, one upgrade I did manage to get through is that if her phone goes six rings without being answered it transfers in here, so I wouldn't much worry about phone calls. I can answer them. Just deal with the other bits and bobs. I'm sure you can handle it. Anyway, I've got some ledgers to get to..."
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

"Alright, sounds good Mr. Ross. I will get back to the front desk and we will see you soon."

Travis, will close the door behind him and sit at Emily's desk and pull out his planning binder to map out the year ahead of him. Travis begins to think of the seasons and what kind of natural features he could bring into his classroom for the children to explore: plants, rocks, etc..
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Other than a few late check-ins for the attendance sheets, there is very little other work that interrupts his planning. The other teachers seem to largely keep to themselves and give him little more than a polite greeting on their way here or there. There's not even a single phone call to bother him. Before he knows it, the clock tower in the courtyard is chiming recess and the children are starting to stream out of their respective classrooms to head for the canteen or the courtyard itself. Mostly the courtyard. It is a warm day, after all. Shame it's so gloomy and windowless in the reception area.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

This town must not have much of a tax base. I bet this school hasn't been remodeled in ages..

Travis hastily writes out a note indicating that he will be on break for a few minutes, he packs his planning folder and consults the map that the child drew to find his way to the library.

I wonder if the school has materials to let the children write their own stories? It helps push their imaginations and honors the perspective of the child..

OOC,sorry can we presume that Travis keeps maps and classroom layout designs, etc. in his planner?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The library is rather old-fashioned and filled with classical children's literature. A quick overview of the book bindings reveals that few of these could be newer than the 1960s barring a few shelves in the non-fiction section. For a moment, he sees a young woman with dyed blonde hair flicker in place by one of the cabinets and then a man rounds one of the bookcases, carrying some sort of disturbing leather-bound tome. He, at least, seems solid. "Travis? It is Travis, right?" asked the man with a smile that reveals crooked and yellowed teeth (he is the man pictured above).
Hide,the school isn't even very large. He did have a tour earlier and would theoretically know where everything is by now, anyhow.

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

I....the dreams..I must not be getting the sort of peaceful rest I need..who was that girl?

Travis barely makes eye contact with the man because his focus is where the girl once was..

"Oh, sorry.."

He finally meets eyes with the other gentleman.

"Yes, I am Travis, I don't believe we have been introduced yet."

His eyes shift focus back to the book the man has a few times before he gives him his focus.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The book has a depiction of some sort of flowery symbol on the cover and little else. The man gazed around the library with a look of blissful contentment on his face as he paced back and forth. "Call me Vincent. I was just dropping by to take a look around at the library. It has all of my favourite books from my childhood." He clasped his hands over his heart with all the flair of an obvious drama queen. "In fact, speaking of favourite books ... I heard that you went to visit Walter Desmond the other day. It's nearly his thirty third birthday and almost my twenty seventh. I'd very much like to see him for a bit of nostalgic reminiscence but it seems he's a little incommunicado at the moment. I don't suppose you could help?"

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

What, how does he know?

Travis steps backwards a few feet at the mention of Walter's name.

"I..I..thought you worked here. How did you know where me and Emily were last night? Were you at the book signing too?"

Though he attempts to have a calm exterior he can't help but have a trembling in his left foot.

"What do you mean exactly about Walter?"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"We knew each other," said Vincent. "He was an old friend of the family, you might say. But why?" He spreads out his hands as he approaches, his demeanour growing predatory. One of his pupils is more dilated than the other which gives his face a further disturbing cast as he stops a bare foot away. "You seem about as skittish as a church mouse... You look like you've seen a ghost... Why, oh why, are you so nervous?"

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

Travis' body seems to grow smaller as his posture becomes more withdrawn and tense from the presence of the other man. Somehow the approach and posturing of the man makes him recall the insecurities around other kids and his father growing up. He could never fight back, rather he tried to be as non threatening as possible, weak and pitiful to his tormenetors.

"I just..what happened to Walter?..you can't get a hold of him? Where is he and Emily?.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"You don't get it, do you?" He chuckled mirthlessly. "Those are answers I've been seeking from you. If I knew what had happened, I would have no need of asking you." He whips away on the last few words, raising his hands and then slapping them against his thighs dramatically. "Well, since you obviously know nothing I suppose I might as well leave. Except..." He gazes back at Travis over his shoulder, then turns and steps closer to him again. "Except you do know something, don't you? Where did you last see them, little man?"

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

"Emily, was afraid..of someone an older woman, I don't know her name. She attacked Walter outside the book store. We tried to take him to the hospital, but he wouldn't let us, he was afraid of going there. So, we went back to his hotel and Emily wanted me to leave for my own good. I wanted to stay and I should have..we should have called the police, I knew something bad would happen.."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Hotel?" Vincent's head jerks up at the revelation and his eyes narrow. "Which hotel?"

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

"I don't know..I mean I am new here, so I am not familar with all the hotels in town."

Before answering, Travis will attempt to discern the motives of Vincent.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Travis can't discern anything about this strangely dramatic man - only that there is an intensity and importance to the way he moves, but that could all be smoke and mirrors. A facade to keep him confounded. Who could tell? He'd only just met the man.

"Well, where was it? Describe it!" snapped Vincent imperiously.

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

Travis attempts to regain his composure before he answers.

"I believe we both want to help, Walter. I know I do and I want to continue doing so. It was the hotel by the lame, Lakeview or Lakeside, something to that effect. He was very incoherent throughout the night.."

Travis motions with his hand towards the library door.

"I believe Principal Ross was going to call Emily because she wasn't in today. She was also the last one with him that I k kw of, so she may know something.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Emily Latham?" Vincent nods. "Very good." Without another word, he spins on his heel and starts for the door.

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

"Please, I want to know if Walter is okay. He seemed very upset. He talked about angels.."

Travis pleads with the man before leaves.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Vincent pauses with his hand on the door knob. "Angels? Heh ... that's interesting. Is there anything else he mentioned?"

Return to “Earlier Chapters”