CHAPTER ONE: Murray's Journey: Following

Herein you will find the earlier chapters of those unlucky enough to visit the quaint little tourist town with a weight in their hearts.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Murray's Journey: Following

Post by Laraqua »

OOC,This is a picture from the opposite lake-side direction but it gives you a hint about what it'll look like.
Lakeview Hotel stands proudly before him on the right on Nathan Avenue. Further in the distance, to the left, Murray can make out the Lakeside Amusement Park where the credit card records reveal some grand expenditures as well. It shouldn't be all that surprising how expensive a trip to an amusement park can be if you really don't care how much you spend -- which she obviously hasn't. Thus far, she's managed to rake upwards of $10,000 worth of expenses at the pubs, amusement parks, hotel, and other assorted places. Her last spend occurred precisely three days ago - but she's pre-paid five more days in advance beyond today. Of course, Murray doesn't know which room she's booked into. He'll have to ask the receptionist.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Murray puts his GPS away. No sense in tempting thieves. Then he gets out of the car and enters the hotel, looking for the front desk.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The heavy double doors lead into the large foyer which has a rather beautiful wood panelling and some antique staircases. There's some doors flanking the stairs which lead into the rear of the building. To Murray's left is a gift shop and a wide reception desk with a rather perky-looking pretty receptionists leaning her impressive bosom on the wood counter as she peers out at Murray with a quirky smile. Her ruby red lips and classically curled bob give her the appeal of a like-minded individual who obviously has taken a liking to Murray in his trenchcoat and old-fashioned sensibilities.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Murray takes off his hat and greets the receptionist with a smile. Most people these days don't wear hats, which he has always felt is a pity. Even among those who do, some don't know that you're supposed to take it off when you come inside. "Good day, Miss," he says. "Perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for Cara Ashby. Can you please tell me which room she's in?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Oh, uh, that's against hotel policy, but I am happy to tell her that she has a visitor? She's had a fair few visitors lately though they've dropped off a bit recently. I'm sure she'd be happy to see you." There's a slightly flirty emphasis on the word 'you'.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Murray, his smile broadening. "I'd appreciate that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

She beams at him and then lifts a telephone to her ear. Murray can see that she dials in 432 on the telephone extension. If he adds the first five numbers of the hotel phone number, then puts in those last three digits, he should have her room number. She sits there and listens in on the telephone for a short period of time and then sighs and hangs up. "Sorry, she's not picking up. Perhaps she's checked out?" She types in something on the computer. "Nope, she's still checked in here. She must be out. Or perhaps she's in the restaurant? She's a bit of a socialite so maybe Mikey knows what's up with her."
Extensions,at least that's how it works in Australia.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," says Murray. "I'll go check with Mikey, then. Do you know where I can find him?"
OOC,In the USA, phone numbers are seven digits, not eight, though there is a 3-digit area code that precedes them. Usually an extension is dialed after the main number in a situation like this. The hotel would probably have its own switchboard to connect calls to individual rooms. Since the extension is 432, does that mean that 432 is the room number?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Oh, he should be out working the counter at Cafe Toluca just through that door back there. If he's not there, he might be helping over at the restaurant. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to come and ask me."
OOC,Not originally. However, that would make sense. It couldn't be 432, so we'll say the extention was 305. So Room 5 on the 3rd floor.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks again," says Murray. "I'll be sure to." He pauses as he is about to leave. "Oh, just one more thing. What does Mikey look like, so I'll recognize him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Umm, he's got short red hair and this little white scar that crosses through one eyebrow," said the receptionist. "Oh, on that note ... you don't look like a local. Did you need to book a room here?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Actually, yes," says Murray. "I may as well check in now. Got any vacancies on the third floor?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Yes, sir," she said with a smile, entering something onto the computer. "One moment... 318 is available. As is 316. Could I have your name, please? For the reservation?" She flashes him a welcoming smile.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My name's Murray Archer," says Murray, smiling back again. He takes out his wallet and finds his credit card to pay for the room. "I'd like Room 316, please."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Of course, Mr. Archer," she says, accepting his card and swishing it through the reader. "Pin or sign?" After he makes up his mind and pays for the room ($130 a night), she turns back to retrieve a key with a large wooden room tag and passes it to him. "There you go, sir."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Miss," says Murray. He signs and then pockets the key. "Have a nice day. If I need anything else, I'll be sure to ask. See you later." He waves goodbye and heads to the Cafe Toluca to look for Mikey.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Murray heads out through the rear double doors and sees a happy couple walking past, the woman's head leaned onto the man's shoulder as they walked. Cafe Toluca is just across the hall and through another door. The cafe overlooks the rear courtyard, beyond which is a bridge that heads out across the lake. The cafe itself has a number of light and airy booths with a creamy vinyl cover and real wooden tables. A man matching Mikey's description stands behind a solid mahogany counter, flanked by a glass warming box (for pies and pasties) and a cooler glass box (for the salads). He smiles in a polite but non-intrusive manner when Murray enters the cafe.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hello," says Murray, nodding in greeting. "Do you know where I might find Cara Ashby?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Mikey sizes Murray up with a quick glance and cocks an eyebrow. "Cara? Erm, oh wait, I'm guessing you mean Ash? Tall woman? Short black hair chopped straight at the chin? Yeah, I haven't seen her the past couple days. Sorry. She must be eating somewhere in town."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do you know where in town she might have gone, or when she'll be back?" asks Murray.
OOC,Does his description of her match?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Earlier Chapters”