Kids Entering Spare Room

The world can be a cruel and terrible place. More so when the Blitz strikes down at London and certain key cities, when mothers and fathers go off to the front lines to get shot and killed or captured by enemy soldiers, and when a billet off in the countryside can suddenly end with news of the death of your living parents, or perhaps entire families, in air raid shelters or bombed factories. Luckily there are still places for such children. Orphanages where children can be protected and looked after by kindly women. This is one such orphanage ... or so you hope when you approach the cast iron gate.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Kids Entering Spare Room

Post by Laraqua »

The room is wallpapered with creepy murals showing peoples heads and arms coming off, lots of fire and overly large boy bits that might make him snicker. There's a rocking chair in the corner beside a cot and a trapdoor in the middle of the floor that is currently open to reveal a ladder leading down into darkness. It smells a bit like candy and chocolate down there. Oh, and baking cookies. It smells truly wonderful.

Peregrine, arriving first, looks wide eyed around the room; with his sheltered upbringing, the relevance of most of the pictures is lost on him. His nose is ahead of him and sends signals to his tummy which starts rumbling. When the enticing smells hit him, Peregrine's mouth falls open and he forgets all about the murals. He pads over to the trap door and savours the wonderful chocolatey aromas. For a small boy brought up on war rations the smells are irresistible. "I'll just have a really quick look." Having not eaten for hours, Peregrine's tummy leads the way and he clambers onto the ladder and starts climbing down.

Clive appears hot on his heels as Peregrine lowers himself onto the ladder.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Kids Entering Spare Room

Post by Mr. Handy »

Clive finds the murals interesting, but he can't let Peregrine run off on his own. He scurries down the ladder after him. "Something smells good down here," he says as he descends, licking his lips.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The room below has a large wooden table surrounded by heavy wooden chairs upon which a number of skeletons sit dressed in various military uniforms, even though they're child-sized. The skeletons are wired together with a thick wire. They might be fake ... but a closer inspection reveals that it certainly is bone. Surely not children's bones, though? The table itself is heaped up with food of all different kinds. Biscuits and toffee and hard lollies and sweet rolls. There's even icing! There's an oven at the other end of the room that smells full of the scent of baking cookies.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Wow! But strange." Peregrine peers over the top of the table, the cakes and goodies are at tempting eye level but he can't help feel the skeletons are watching him so he isn't sure if it'd be okay to take a biscuit. He hears Clive clambering down the ladder behind him and turns to him with happy, shining eyes,"Look at all these sweets, Clive. Do you think the skelingtons would mind us taking just one?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think they're in any condition to mind anything any more, Peregrine," says Clive, staring at the tableau, "but I don't know if any of this is safe to eat. I'm as hungry as you are, and it smells so good, but something about this just feels wrong. It's like in Hansel and Gretel. There's even an oven and everything. If we start eating, maybe a witch will come and try to eat us or something. Maybe we should let Mike know and let him decide if it's okay."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Although Peregrine thinks Clive is probably right about the witch, his tummy wishes it otherwise. He has a good look round for any signs of a witch and listens too but, although he strains his ears, all he can hear is the soft roar of the oven. "Weell, okay but lets be quick, I''m sure Mike is hungry too."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right, let's go," says Clive, leading the way back up the ladder.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The room seems well-dusted, which is odd, but other than that there doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary. The ladder is as solid and reliable as before and it isn't too difficult to climb back up.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Peregrine takes one last look round and then follows Clive up the ladder, hoping they'll be back very shortly.
Laraqua,He also takes a single green lolly from the table and hides it in his pocket for later.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Clive helps Peregrine up into the room when he reaches the top of the ladder, then leads the way to where they left Mike.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

OOC: You may now re-enter Mike's thread.

Return to “Misery Orphanage, 1941”