Gateway

The world can be a cruel and terrible place. More so when the Blitz strikes down at London and certain key cities, when mothers and fathers go off to the front lines to get shot and killed or captured by enemy soldiers, and when a billet off in the countryside can suddenly end with news of the death of your living parents, or perhaps entire families, in air raid shelters or bombed factories. Luckily there are still places for such children. Orphanages where children can be protected and looked after by kindly women. This is one such orphanage ... or so you hope when you approach the cast iron gate.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Gateway

Post by Laraqua »

There appear to be no keyholes nor can anything be heard inside. Perhaps they really are empty.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Mike tries the first door on the right.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Clive stands behind Mike and just to one side, peering through the door as it opens.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The rightmost door opens to reveal a single bed with a chair to one side and a chest at the foot of the bed. The flagstone floor and stone walls are covered in little slips of papers like flyers with bright red ink decorating it with strange symbols and patterns that are identical on each slip of paper even though each one appears to be handwritten. The paper doesn't appear to be regular paper. It appears to be thicker and with a more obvious fiber weave within them.
Show,Feel free to use any skills you like to try to interpret them or their reason.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Clive stares at the symbols on the paper. "I've never seen the like before," he says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Back in the corridor, Peregrine crouches down and looks under the lefthand door, if there is a gap. He then gets back up and follows the other two into the strange bedroom. He clambers onto the bed and sits down, gazing at the papers but they mean nothing to him.
rolls,First roll, spot hidden (success) second roll for recognising the papers, (unsurprising fail.) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4131370/]1d100=37, 1d100=91[/url]
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Perg, check the book. maybe something in there will exlpain this place. I think the pig on the first figure is the one we chased.
Mark says
Some clearly lives in here.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Peregrine pulls the old book onto his lap and starts looking through it, turning the pages over one by one. "Do you think they really are wizards?" He asks Clive.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Peregrine's a little too young to read the very long words handwritten onto the pages but he can recognise the very fancy first letters on some of the pages and can certainly see the pictures. Some of the pictures show lots of hungry rats following three women and one rat even stands on its hind legs and points. Some of the pages show rats who have human feet or faces or little human hands. Others show three women holding each other's shoulders and all standing naked while in the background a shaded in man stands foreboding. On another page is a hill with some trees on it but one of the trees has several ropes and one of the little rats is trying to climb up it. On another page there's a rope swing with a rat perched on it like a little person and holding onto the ropes with surprisingly big human-like hands. There's a picture of all kinds of people torn up and a pig eating them. There's pictures of faces with parts of masks pulled off and their faces have been made up with lots of lines (an adult would see it as a pictorial representation of a flayed face) and pictures of eyes and strange little dots and eyes. None of it makes much sense to him but it is interesting.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I dunno," says Clive, trying to read the book over Peregrine's shoulder as he looks through the pages. "Maybe. Those women look like they could be witches."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Peregrine points to one of the women, "That one looks like Mrs. Matlock!" He giggles but his laugh sounds forced and too high pitched. "And look, here is the pig; Mike look at this; the pig is eating the people." He looks at the pictures with big wide eyes, not really understanding the significance of what he is looking at. But then it isn't much worse than his Grimms' Fairy-tales bed-time reading.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

and the rats ...
Mike add as he recall the rats in the basement.
let me read it while you check the other doors. be carefull, I guess the rest of the rooms are empty too.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I looked under the door opposite this one and it just had a bed and a window like here." Peregrine is loath to let go of the book but allows Mike to sit on the bed next to him so he can see it more easily.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right," says Clive. "That leaves the one at the end of the hall. That's probably the important one." He looks down at Peregrine. "Do you want to go take a look?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Peregrine looks dubious, "What? On my own?" He thinks for a moment and then slides down so his feet are on the floor. He puts the book carefully on the bed and then, carrying his grubby blue blanket, he trundles across the wooden floor and out around the door. Clive and Mike hear his footsteps dwindling away down the corridor.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There's the creaking open and shut of a door down the hall.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I meant for both of us to go together," says Clive, hurrying after Peregrine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Mike is left alone in peace and quiet for the moment with time to read his book.

royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Take a peek and return quickly.
Mike says as he flips over the pages.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The book seems to be a mixture of religious instruction, journal and a collection of myths. Considering the rather random way its written, he would probably be better if he perused it looking to separate and focus on one aspect or the other: Myths / Stories, Religious Instruction, or Diary. If he likes he could read it as written but that would be more difficult to read.

Return to “Misery Orphanage, 1941”