Arrival

The world can be a cruel and terrible place. More so when the Blitz strikes down at London and certain key cities, when mothers and fathers go off to the front lines to get shot and killed or captured by enemy soldiers, and when a billet off in the countryside can suddenly end with news of the death of your living parents, or perhaps entire families, in air raid shelters or bombed factories. Luckily there are still places for such children. Orphanages where children can be protected and looked after by kindly women. This is one such orphanage ... or so you hope when you approach the cast iron gate.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Arrival

Post by aine »

Jack points to the pictures of Perry, "That's a cute little boy, I wonder, did he get eaten by the fairy - which isn't me I can assure you: look no wings! Plus I don't eat small boys." Jack flexes his wingless shoulders. "I have to say though, Mike here looks rather like that dog and who are the rat and owl? "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I'm not a rat," says Clive. "I've got to be the owl! Let's flip ahead in the book and see what it says will happen next."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

I'm not a dog you little winnie !!
Mike says and sends an angry look to Jack
The story is supposed to be for children, I'm a grown up.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

They flip through the adventures of this odd ball collection of animals, through the clock face and down into a room of many ovens. There's a room with the big darkness and an owl about to jump, knowing he can fly to freedom, while the dog and the fairy look on, and there's an image of a loud "CLANG!" and then a hag appears, crawling through another cold oven toward them. She reaches out and grabs the dog by the scruff of the neck and says, in a dialogue bubble, "In you go, dinner!" and thrusts him into one of the hot ovens. The owl is so shocked that he falls off the ledge and plummets to his assumed death.

There are no other pages written or drawn.

But there is a loud CLANG that sounds from the oven from which they had withdrawn the book and whose coals now lay quiet cold to the touch.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's the witch," hisses Clive. "We've got to change how the book goes. Anyone got a pencil, or a crayon, or a bit of charcoal?" He looks around for something suitable.
OOC,Do I have one stone left, or two? Can I salvage a piece of charcoal from the oven where we found the book?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

We must clear the stone from the oven so the coals will burn again.
Mike says with panic, he strides to the oven to grab the cold stone away.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The stone has disappeared - it must have disintegrated when it hit the coals! There is one cold stone left.

There isn't any charcoal but coal could be used in a pinch so long as you don't smudge the page. There's plenty of unburnt coal left and soot from the burnt hunks.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hold onto this," Clive whispers to Mike, offering him the last stone. He gathers up a bit of coal from the oven. "If you're the dog, it'll protect you from the fire. Who's good at art stuff? Draw on the blank pages after the last one. Show the dog in the oven with the stone in its mouth, with flames around it but not touching it. Then draw the witch taking a closer look and getting burned up by the flames. And draw one with the owl landing safely on something really soft, like a mountain of pillows."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Whomsoever draws,shall have to roll 1d4/1d10 to work the magic as you see the truth behind the lines and your mind contacts with whatever dream state manipulates this land.

royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Clever boy!
Mike says and takes the stone. He is ready with the tongs as well, ready to punch the hag
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Oh dear, I can hear something, I reckon she's about to leap through the door." Jack looks at the drawing, "Could be the dinner's in the dog."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I think [b]Jack[/b] should draw, as he actually has points in Art. If he doesn't I guess I'll do it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Jack looks at the proffered charcoal stick uncomfortably, "Me draw? I don't think you'd like the results, young Clive. You carry on." He moves away from the group, looking a bit embarrassed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Clive starts drawing what he described on the blank pages of the book following the last one with something on it. His child's mind helps shield him from the bizarre nature of this place, and he takes it largely in stride.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

As he finishes his drawing, there's a loud CLANG! and the sound of scuffling hands and feet on the coals in one of the ovens whose flames have suddenly died away. As they flinch away, an enormous woman who looks like one of their teachers rears up in front of them and points a long-nailed finger at them. "You weren't meant to get this far!" She completely ignores Jack as she looks to each of them in time, then snaps forward to grab Mike and throw him into one of the fiery ovens, causing him to instinctively yelp despite himself.

(OOC: We can go to Initiative or you can all just go with it.)

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'd like to go to initiative.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Initiative please.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Init, Mike wants to fight back.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

We'll go in base Initiative order: Jack, Clive, Mike, then Her as you were expecting her.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Look out Mike, looks like she wants you for o'dourves!" Jack jumps from foot to foot excitedly.

Return to “Misery Orphanage, 1941”