Chit-Chat

The world can be a cruel and terrible place. More so when the Blitz strikes down at London and certain key cities, when mothers and fathers go off to the front lines to get shot and killed or captured by enemy soldiers, and when a billet off in the countryside can suddenly end with news of the death of your living parents, or perhaps entire families, in air raid shelters or bombed factories. Luckily there are still places for such children. Orphanages where children can be protected and looked after by kindly women. This is one such orphanage ... or so you hope when you approach the cast iron gate.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Chit-Chat

Post by Laraqua »

This is where we can just chat about things and get to know each other. I've been researching the Home Front pretty extensively since I picked up an old project I was going to do as a Chaosium Monograph but have since decided to try my hand at crafting a more custom system and supernatural background (don't worry, Mr. Handy, it's got heaps of background information in it still and I can send you all the BRP rules and mechanics I'd already written up for the Monograph side of things). I've also learned a lot more about British History during it and have realised that there's more information in Australian public libraries on the Home Front than I'd previously imagined. Unfortunately, you have to browse the book shelves because they're not well-listed and a search of the indexes for Home Front or even 1939 - 1945 might not actually bring it up.

Anyway, I'm still bound to get some stuff wrong but don't we all?

Ooh, also I looked up Blitz Memorabilia on ebay and came across about a dozen different packs of props designed for school children in Britain. $150 later I've had it all shipped to me! I've rationed myself to opening one a week and examining one document or cluster of, say, cards per day to really get maximum enjoyment of it. I've so far seen poster cover cards, an ARP card, and a ration book. This has me ridiculously excited and perplexes my fiance but, hey, such is life.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Chit-Chat

Post by aine »

Laraqua wrote: I'm figuring on putting the orphanage in Gloucestershire somewhere. I'll do a bit of research to double check that the area is suitable. Basically, small country town that's big enough to have most of the amenities (some rural areas hadn't changed much over the past couple hundred years) but it small enough to be mostly wide open farmland and an almost idyllic Miss Marple style.
I live in Gloucestershire. Have a look at Winchcombe. It's an old market town, plenty of ancient buildings/houses and local history but still pretty sleepy. Others, like Stow, Banbury and Evesham are relatively happening and busy. Things haven't changed much since the 1940's so I guess it would have been the same situation then.

Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

When do you think the roleplaying itself will start?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Once I have everyone's histories and sheets.

Winchcombe looks perfect. Forgive any instances of 'didn't do the research' as there's only so much the internet can provide compared to, y'know, living there. :lol: I'm happy for you to ad-lib a bit of what's in the town. If you know it has a certain something, you can always describe it. I'm happy to be a bit more collaborative with that. Otherwise, feel free to post here any interesting tidbits you learn.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Who are we waiting on?
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

I believe you are waiting on me, I'm ironing out the last kinks in my character now and I should have it posted soon.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

hurry up man, I can't wait to get started. :D
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

There you go, all set up.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There you go. First post up!

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

http://www.winchcombe.co.uk/visitors/about-winchcombe

http://www.winchcombe.co.uk/directory/v ... ttractions

Wow. A very cool location. Wish I could visit England.... Stupid air fares from Australia are expensive.

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

I'm going to be away for a conference in the UK. My internet access will be limited till the 23 September.

Roy
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Philulhu, good spot on the ute. Didn't think to check on whether one of our most mundane vehicles was around back then. One of those flat-bed small truck thingies then. Also, good spot on the petrol rationing. The non-orphanage boys (and the teenager) likely would wander about it as well and why no one's pulled them up on it. The "civilian" petrol ration wasn't abolished until 1942, and after that vehicle fuel was only available to "official" users, such as the emergency services, bus companies and farmers. Still, its a bit of a waste of petrol. Oh well, I'm sure there's nothing 'red' about the fuel. A cookie to anyone who gets the implication.

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest that red dye was added to fuel for agricultural vehicles so as to catch people using it for other purposes. It still happens today, except nowadays it's because tax on agricultural diesel is lower than your average motorist pays at the pumps, making it much cheaper to buy.
Last edited by Philulhu on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm American, but I hadn't known what an ute was when it was first mentioned here. I'd thought it must have been some kind of horse-drawn vehicle. I've always known utes as pickup trucks, but this is a big country. Maybe in other parts of it they're called utes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

May be one of these. 1930's built so good for the time frame. Low petrol consumption. Just about get the kids in the back. I would say the British equivalent of the ute would be a Landrover but they weren't built until 1948.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Good find! You could always borrow the local butcher's van if he's feeling generous...

OOC,For Dad's Army fans, this is the original van used by Corporal Jones in the TV series. It's a 1935 Ford Box Van which has been in private hands for a number of years... but it's coming up for auction! The reserve is only £20,000 - £30,000 - who wants in? ;)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

That is goooorgeous.

It'd be the one above the butcher's van. Let's go with that one.

Also, Philulhu is pretty much correct, but it was added to commercial fuel rather than agricultural fuel (it covered agricultural fuel as well) and was to show fuel that wasn't intended for private use so they could spot if someone had sold it on the black market or were using it for their regular cars. Some black marketeers figured out to remove the dye from the petrol.

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

And Mike hoped to drive this ute:
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Maybe when he's an old man, if he survives that long.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

A glimpse into the future - what's the sanity-blasting effects of that?! :shock:

Return to “Misery Orphanage, 1941”