Page 1 of 1

Chit-Chat

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:36 am
by Laraqua
This is where we can just chat about things and get to know each other. I've been researching the Home Front pretty extensively since I picked up an old project I was going to do as a Chaosium Monograph but have since decided to try my hand at crafting a more custom system and supernatural background (don't worry, Mr. Handy, it's got heaps of background information in it still and I can send you all the BRP rules and mechanics I'd already written up for the Monograph side of things). I've also learned a lot more about British History during it and have realised that there's more information in Australian public libraries on the Home Front than I'd previously imagined. Unfortunately, you have to browse the book shelves because they're not well-listed and a search of the indexes for Home Front or even 1939 - 1945 might not actually bring it up.

Anyway, I'm still bound to get some stuff wrong but don't we all?

Ooh, also I looked up Blitz Memorabilia on ebay and came across about a dozen different packs of props designed for school children in Britain. $150 later I've had it all shipped to me! I've rationed myself to opening one a week and examining one document or cluster of, say, cards per day to really get maximum enjoyment of it. I've so far seen poster cover cards, an ARP card, and a ration book. This has me ridiculously excited and perplexes my fiance but, hey, such is life.

Re: Chit-Chat

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:41 pm
by aine
Laraqua wrote: I'm figuring on putting the orphanage in Gloucestershire somewhere. I'll do a bit of research to double check that the area is suitable. Basically, small country town that's big enough to have most of the amenities (some rural areas hadn't changed much over the past couple hundred years) but it small enough to be mostly wide open farmland and an almost idyllic Miss Marple style.
I live in Gloucestershire. Have a look at Winchcombe. It's an old market town, plenty of ancient buildings/houses and local history but still pretty sleepy. Others, like Stow, Banbury and Evesham are relatively happening and busy. Things haven't changed much since the 1940's so I guess it would have been the same situation then.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:43 pm
by Garrett
When do you think the roleplaying itself will start?

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 pm
by Laraqua
Once I have everyone's histories and sheets.

Winchcombe looks perfect. Forgive any instances of 'didn't do the research' as there's only so much the internet can provide compared to, y'know, living there. :lol: I'm happy for you to ad-lib a bit of what's in the town. If you know it has a certain something, you can always describe it. I'm happy to be a bit more collaborative with that. Otherwise, feel free to post here any interesting tidbits you learn.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 am
by Garrett
Who are we waiting on?

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 am
by CrackheadC.
I believe you are waiting on me, I'm ironing out the last kinks in my character now and I should have it posted soon.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 am
by Garrett
hurry up man, I can't wait to get started. :D

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:33 am
by CrackheadC.
There you go, all set up.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:16 am
by Laraqua
There you go. First post up!

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 am
by Laraqua
http://www.winchcombe.co.uk/visitors/about-winchcombe

http://www.winchcombe.co.uk/directory/v ... ttractions

Wow. A very cool location. Wish I could visit England.... Stupid air fares from Australia are expensive.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:39 pm
by royya
I'm going to be away for a conference in the UK. My internet access will be limited till the 23 September.

Roy

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm
by Laraqua
Philulhu, good spot on the ute. Didn't think to check on whether one of our most mundane vehicles was around back then. One of those flat-bed small truck thingies then. Also, good spot on the petrol rationing. The non-orphanage boys (and the teenager) likely would wander about it as well and why no one's pulled them up on it. The "civilian" petrol ration wasn't abolished until 1942, and after that vehicle fuel was only available to "official" users, such as the emergency services, bus companies and farmers. Still, its a bit of a waste of petrol. Oh well, I'm sure there's nothing 'red' about the fuel. A cookie to anyone who gets the implication.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:33 pm
by Philulhu
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest that red dye was added to fuel for agricultural vehicles so as to catch people using it for other purposes. It still happens today, except nowadays it's because tax on agricultural diesel is lower than your average motorist pays at the pumps, making it much cheaper to buy.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm American, but I hadn't known what an ute was when it was first mentioned here. I'd thought it must have been some kind of horse-drawn vehicle. I've always known utes as pickup trucks, but this is a big country. Maybe in other parts of it they're called utes.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:19 pm
by aine

May be one of these. 1930's built so good for the time frame. Low petrol consumption. Just about get the kids in the back. I would say the British equivalent of the ute would be a Landrover but they weren't built until 1948.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:58 pm
by Philulhu
Good find! You could always borrow the local butcher's van if he's feeling generous...

OOC,For Dad's Army fans, this is the original van used by Corporal Jones in the TV series. It's a 1935 Ford Box Van which has been in private hands for a number of years... but it's coming up for auction! The reserve is only £20,000 - £30,000 - who wants in? ;)

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:42 am
by Laraqua
That is goooorgeous.

It'd be the one above the butcher's van. Let's go with that one.

Also, Philulhu is pretty much correct, but it was added to commercial fuel rather than agricultural fuel (it covered agricultural fuel as well) and was to show fuel that wasn't intended for private use so they could spot if someone had sold it on the black market or were using it for their regular cars. Some black marketeers figured out to remove the dye from the petrol.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm
by royya
And Mike hoped to drive this ute:

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
Maybe when he's an old man, if he survives that long.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:19 pm
by Philulhu
A glimpse into the future - what's the sanity-blasting effects of that?! :shock:

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am
by Philulhu
S'gone verrry quiet.......... :?: :cry:

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 am
by CrackheadC.
Sorry, i just had a five day vacation - I thought I would be back in time to keep pace in the game. Posting now.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:29 am
by CrackheadC.
We're disrespectful kids. I don't know if we are going to last very long.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:53 am
by Garrett
Speaking as someone who was lived in the orphanage eight years, no, you won't.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:05 am
by Laraqua
Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine. That whole 'Misery Orphanage' name was just a typo.

Besides, its not like she's foaming at the mouth in hatred over you. She seems so nice and friendly. That's reassuring, isn't it?

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:35 am
by Philulhu
Err... no. Not really :(

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:25 am
by royya
I have a feeling that one of the new trio will end up in a soup. :twisted:

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:16 pm
by Philulhu
royya wrote:I have a feeling that one of the new trio will end up in a soup. :twisted:
Can I nominate one of the others?

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:33 am
by Laraqua
Oh, sorry. Nominations have already closed.

----------

Well, meat is on the ration. Might as well kill a child and keep the ration books.

I vote the American boy pokes the pigs.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:54 am
by Philulhu
Which part of the States is he from? Is he corn-fed? ;-)

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:09 am
by Laraqua
Aww, Peregrine is so cuuuuute!

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 pm
by aine
Probably quite tender too. He just needs feeding up a bit.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:59 pm
by CrackheadC.
I'm sure Davey will be up to no good in short order. It's hard to keep still and do what you're told all the time.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 am
by royya
I will be away from 2.11 - 8.11 with limited internet access

Roy

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm
by Philulhu
royya wrote:I will be away from 2.11 - 8.11 with limited internet access

Roy
A whole six hours? ;)

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm
by Garrett
I'm on the fence here, on one hand Martians a freakin genius and logically should be able to figure out what the problem children disapearing implies, but on the other hand these matrons are the only real authority figures he's ever had so he might be inclined to believe everything they say. :?

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:27 pm
by Laraqua
People probably don't seem very sensible to a genius like him anyway. The idea of folk picking troubled kids might even seem logical considering the whole 'do your bit for your country' but the other kids never indicate that life is better for rough and tumble boys. There would be rumors from the other kids as well. He's probably trust them but have his doubts. Why do they always leave in the dead of night? Sometimes they're even carried out sleeping (the other ward-mates can see that).

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:45 pm
by Garrett
I'm going with, he knows that something is up but figures that looking into it or even thinking about it too hard is a bad idea. Do normal kids get adopted or just the ones who go missing?

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:31 am
by Laraqua
Ocasionally. Less commonly though. Adoptions of children just aren't very common, unfortunately. Everyone wants babies that can be sculpted rather than kids who have their own traumas, habits, and personalities to cope with.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 pm
by Garrett
Im a little confused on the arrival thread, are skipping straight to our night on watch?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:29 am
by Laraqua
No, he's just clueing the newbies in to what you'll need to do the following night (fire watching night). Martian would already know the drill so he could head to bed right away anyway.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 am
by royya
I'll be away from the 2/12 to 13/12 with little time to post. I'll do my best. Thought Laraqua is not here as well.

Roy

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 am
by Philulhu
This seems to have gone very quiet. Do we still have a game?

Cheers,

Phil.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:44 am
by Laraqua
For some reason, I thought I was waiting on you guys. Seems I was wrong.

Onward to victory!

Or something.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 pm
by Garrett
Good thing Martian's a tiny little thing.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
Hi all,

Are we still in the game? It's gone pretty quiet...

Cheers,

Phil.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:25 am
by Laraqua
Just to let you know that the slower pace of the game is because I'm getting married in late March and so haven't had as much time and energy to devote to my game.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Congratulations! :D

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 am
by royya
Laraqua wrote:Just to let you know that the slower pace of the game is because I'm getting married in late March and so haven't had as much time and energy to devote to my game.
Congrats

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:29 am
by Laraqua
The Arrival Thread won't let me post. Sorry for that. Says there's an error.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 pm
by royya
I'll be off for a quick vacation from Friday. I'll resume posting on Monday
Roy

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 am
by royya
Ping

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 am
by Laraqua
Ping indeed.

And now I return, fully married and logged in (accursed log in troubles). Let's see what happens here.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm
by aine
Welcome back Mrs L. I will be away from 8th to the end of May as I'm cycling a long version of John O'Groats to Lands End and living in a tent. Please NPC or incarcerate Peregrine until I'm back. I can post until the 7th.

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 am
by Laraqua
I'm sure Perry will be fine! :twisted:

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:56 am
by aine
Peregrine's walked through the shimmer and disappeared -where is he now?

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:46 pm
by Mr. Handy
Laraqua didn't say so in our thread, but we've moved to the other one (The Gateway). I guess she thought we were following along there.

I'll be away on vacation through the 29th, and again from the afternoon of July 3rd through the 7th, so I probably won't be able to post during those times.

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:53 am
by Laraqua
Whoops, sorry about that. Yes, you're in the new thread.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 am
by Laraqua
Welcome to Act II. Enjoy your stay.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:40 pm
by Laraqua
I am currently in the process of moving so I'll be a bit sketchy with the posting. I'll aim to do a proper one tomorrow at least and keep to a weekly schedule at worst before I move in.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:59 pm
by Philulhu
Apologies for the lack of posts - holidays and real life stuff. I'll read up on the posts and get back in the game.

Cheers,

Phil.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away at conventions October 31-November 3 and November 8-10, so I probably won't be able to post then. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to post between them, as I work during the week and will have little time to catch up, though I am off November 11.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm
by Philulhu
Hi,

Are we waiting for someone?

Cheers, Phil.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 am
by Philulhu
Hi,

We seem to have stalled... ...

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:08 am
by royya
Mike leads the way down the tunnel - I think we are waiting for the GM to unleash his horrors upon us...

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:31 pm
by Philulhu
... 'her horrors'... ;)

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:52 am
by Laraqua
One assumes I'm not just a sentient bimorphic force from beyond the walls of space and time.

Sorry about the delays. My space-time continuum became fraught with Expo Arrangement.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm going to be away from the night of Saturday, February 15 until Monday, February 24 and will probably not be able to post.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 pm
by royya
I'm traveling to the UK on Monday, not sure how much free time I'll have to post till the end of the week. NPC me as necessary.

-Roy-

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:53 am
by Laraqua
Sorry about the massive delay. You'll get a map tonight once I figure out a program that will let me freely upload it. Regrettably ImageShack is no longer free. I may need to try making one in ASCII.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:40 am
by royya
I will be away to a trip in Europe from the 21 to 27 with a limited internet access and not much time.
I hope I'll have time to post here and there.
-Roy-

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:07 am
by Laraqua
Seeing this post in here triggered a revelation.... I could always draw up the floorplan and post it on my blog and then it'd be stored someplace you could look. I'll aim to have it ready by the 28th.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:40 am
by Laraqua
My sister's approaching 18th this weekend is eating up time faster than I can get it! The floor plan may be up Sunday at the earliest, perhaps a day or two after that, regrettably.

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:10 am
by royya
No problem