IC-Ep 2-History Repeating(Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Chad/Ray)

The TARDIS goes missing, dragged into the sea by something inhuman. During their investigations, Story and his companions join up with the team from UNIT. Leonek and Salem make a horrifying discovery.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-History Repeating(Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Chad/Ray)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dunwich Museum - Dunwich, England
12:35 PM - Thursday, September 5, 1985

Lucius thumbed through the book. It would take some time to scan it thoroughly, but he did notice that the first legend of Dunwich mentioned was that sometimes the bells of the underwater churches could still be heard ringing from the shore.

"Dunwich was quite a major city," Amelia told Elizabeth. "The tenth largest in England. The earliest population figures we have for it are from when the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086. At the time, it had three churches and a population of around three thousand. That was in the early Norman era, which the next exhibits will describe when you're ready to move on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Re: IC-Ep 2-History Repeating(Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Chad/Ra

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth nods her thanks.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Lucius looked up from the book and asked Amelia, "Have you ever heard the bells of the churches ringing?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, I haven't," said Amelia. "I've heard of that legend, of course. The bells couldn't really ring underwater, but it does make for a nice story."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

Raymond advances with the group to the Norman exhibit and glances at Chad when the bells are mentioned, "This place seems to have more strange things and stories than most small towns." When Amelia mentions that the bells couldn't be rung Raymond responds, "I'm not sure that's true. Unless you mean the bells are stuck and couldn't be rung at all. But it is possible that they could ring underwater - given they are struck with enough force. It's like yelling underwater or snapping your fingers; you can hear those. I think the sound wave produced would stay underwater though, so it isn't as if you could hear them from the shore."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's what I meant," said Amelia. "If someone went diving down there, I suppose they could technically ring the bells, but nobody would hear it from shore." She led the group over to a display case containing artifacts from Dunwich's Norman era, beside which was a depiction of a street scene from that time.

"In spite of Viking raiders," Amelia continued, "Dunwich grew and prospered thanks to overseas trade. One group of Vikings had settled down in Normandy, in northern France, and they became the people we know as the Normans. In 1066, William the Conqueror crossed the Channel and swiftly took over, becoming King William I of England. Twenty years later, he ordered a census of his kingdom, which was the aforementioned Domesday Book. The original of that book is at the National Archives in Kew. There was a long section on Dunwich, of which we have a copy of an excerpt here." She pointed out a framed piece of paper hanging from the wall next to the display case. The paper read: 'Edric of Laxfield held Dunwich before 1066 as one manor; Twenty Four Frenchmen with 40 acres of land. Burgesses 236, poor men 180, They pay 4 10s. The land on the cliff used to be 200 acres, as the Sea had carried off the other 100'

"You can see from this that the sea was already starting to encroach on Dunwich. At the time, however, the erosion made for a better harbour. Commerce flourished, and fishing was plentiful."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Yes that must be an unusual thing to see mentioned in the Domesday Book," says Elizabeth. "I've only looked at some of the entries, but I've never seen land erosion mentioned before. It must have already been regarded as a significant problem for the town, albeit one with some benefits, as you say."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Erosion," Lucius repeated, trying to make sense of it. "So... you're suggesting the earth itself was ripped away a piece at a time, back to the ocean. If that happened, why wouldn't the buildings themselves just have toppled over? It seems to me that in this case one of two things happened. Either the oceans raised ... which would be noticeable along all coastlines I would imagine; or the land itself has lowered. There may have been erosion as you suggest, but it would have been digging out from under the surface until the whole surface lowered... perhaps in large pieces."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Erosion is a very gradual process," said Amelia, "taking place over hundreds of years. There are sudden events that hasten it, such as a massive storm that struck in 1286 and an even worse one in 1328. You'll see more about that in the next section with the medieval exhibits. Quite a few of the buildings did in fact collapse, though some may survive more or less intact on the sea floor. Part of it depends upon how the buildings were constructed. Traditional thatch-roofed cottages built a thousand years ago wouldn't stand a chance, but churches were built to last. All Saints Church, however, was built on the edge of a cliff and fell into the sea in stages. Part of it was still there at the beginning of this century, but it's completely gone now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Yes I've seen pictures of All Saints Church," says Elizabeth to Amelia, "taken over the space of a decade or two, showing its gradual collapse into the sea. Quite eerie. It is intriguing though to think that some of the buildings might be more or less intact on the sea floor. Oh I wish I could dive to see them."
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook shakes her head. "Probably not a good idea to go diving around here. Big fish, remember? I'm talking Jaws-big."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Well, big fish or not, we might have to go down there if Dr. Kirby went down." Raymond turns to Amelia and says, "Has the Catholic church made any attempts to salvage the churches underwater? If I remember correctly, these old churches typically had some relic or piece of a saint in the alter or on the premises. I imagine the Church would want those back."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Lucius was losing interest in the conversation and started to explore the exhibits a bit more.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's true that there have been shark sightings in these waters," Amelia said, nodding. "Diving can be dangerous even if there are no sharks around. Best left to professionals, and even they never dive alone. There may very well be relics left in some of the churches, though most of them were probably removed by the Church before the sea claimed them. I haven't heard anything about salvage expeditions exploring the underwater ruins, but I'm sure divers have gone down to look around at one point or another. Are you ready to follow me to the medieval exhibits? It looks like your friend is already heading over that way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"I'm not sure I'd have the courage to dive to be honest," laughs Elizabeth, "even if I had someone to show me what to do properly." Looking over towards Lucius she adds: "Yes, he's already ahead of us. I'm ready for medieval now."
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook giggles a bit. This was a different sort of time travel. Not quite as exciting, though. She follows after Lucius, when a thought suddenly occurs to her. Perhaps she was sort of medieval herself. She always fancied herself as being from the present, but so did probably Elizabeth and Lucius, and they had already visited the future, so when was "now"? Was is whenever they were at any given moment? And without a fixed point as her own present, how could she know how old she was? How much time had passed?" She frowns. "My head hurts..." she murmurs as she makes her way into the middle ages.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Dunwich grew and prospered in the early Middle Ages," Amelia explained to the tour group. "More than a few crusaders came from Dunwich, and their ships set sail from here. In 1199, King John granted a charter to Dunwich and made it a free borough, which gave it a lot of autonomy. After another century, it got two seats in Parliament. Many pilgrims came to Dunwich because of St. Felix, who had spread Christianity to East Anglia. Dunwich at this time had eight churches, plus a Knights Templar church. There were also two monasteries, one for the Blackfriars and another for the Greyfriars. The ruins of the Greyfriars abbey still stand on dry land not far from here, just up Monastery Hill. There was also a leper hospital, next to where St. James's Church stands today at the western end of this street, and the Maison Dieu Hospital, which sadly is now a car park." She pointed out a display case filled with various items.

"Here you can see a number of items that probably belonged to pilgrims. On the left, there are several brooches and clips. This lead bottle would have been used to contain holy water, and these coins date from the medieval period."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth leans forward, fascinated by the finds. "Amazing to think those brooches and coins were handled by people all those centuries ago. If only we could travel back and speak to them." She winks at Brook. "I imagine they could tell us so much."
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook smiles. "Yeah, that'd be neat. If we only had a De Lorean, or something."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Lucius had lost most of the conversation when words from periods unknown to him and Hollywood movie references were being tossed about all willy-nilly. He remained silent and just checked out the exhibits to see if he could make out what some things were intended for use without reading the little placards. "It's amazing, really. Technologically speaking, there isn't much difference between the Roman era and the middle ages... but technological advances in the past hundred or two hundred years have been huge leaps and bounds."

Return to “Episode 2”