IC-Ep 2-Fishing for Clues(Story only)

The TARDIS goes missing, dragged into the sea by something inhuman. During their investigations, Story and his companions join up with the team from UNIT. Leonek and Salem make a horrifying discovery.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-Fishing for Clues(Story only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Flora Café - Dunwich, England
12:00 PM - Thursday, September 5, 1985

Story, carrying the bottle, returned to the Flora Café just as Zeke Baker was finishing his lunch. He wiped his lips on his sleeve and stood up. "Ah, I see you've brought something, Professor!" said Zeke, looking eagerly at the bottle. "I like a good scotch, I do. If you're ready, I'll take you to my boat."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Fishing for Clues(Story only)

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
Story motions Zeke to lead on with his hands while smiling grandly and saying. "By all means, lead the way good sir. I can't wait to see your boat, I love fishing; it is not knowing what you will catch that makes it so interesting." Story follows Zeke.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right this way," said Zeke, leading Story to the car park behind the café. He went over to a battered white pickup truck, encrusted with dirt. Attached to its back on a small trailer was a little wooden rowboat containing a pair of paddles and some fishing gear. It would fit the two of them, but it wouldn't be comfortable. "Here she is. She's not much to look at, but she'll float. Help me carry her over to the shore. It's not far."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
"Nothing quite like the simplicity of a wooden boat." Story said as he walked over to the back of the rowboat. He grabbed it assuringly and began to lift it; "I'll follow your lead down to the shore". In reflection Story thought that perhaps a little off topic conversation might get the friendly ball rolling and the benefit of the bottle would be of better bonus if a little friendly talk opened their trip. After all most people like to talk about themselves and what they've done and seen. "So Zeke, you look like a man of some experience; how long have you lived in Dunwich?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All my life," said Zeke, lugging the boat's front end. "That's fifty years so far." When he and Story reached the water, he set it down in the shallows. "Thanks, it's a lot easier than carrying it by myself." He clambered into the front end of the boat and took up the paddles, dipping them in the sea. "Hop aboard, mate."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
Story reflects: Well then, we have someone who knows the ins and outs of the town. Let's start with something a little more mundane before we get to the sea monsters. "You must know all about the Feud between the Soames and the Lake family then. I understand Captain Lake was quite respected in town." Story performs the classic acrobatics known in the common tongue as launching a boat, wherein one attempts to push the boat away from shore such that it is suspended on its own buoyancy and jump in without getting one's feet wet.
Roll,Here is a [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4040371/]roll[/url] to determine success of feet dry (22)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Story had no difficulty getting into the boat without getting wet. Zeke pushed off from the shore with the paddles. "Now that's quite a tale," he said. "It all goes back to when old Captain Lake came back from the war in 1945. I was just a lad at the time, but I heard things. He was welcomed as a hero, and he was flush with gold. Nobody knew exactly where he got it, but talk was that he must've found Japanese gold during the war. One of those saying so was Edward Soames. Senior, that is. There was this reporter came to town, name of Matthew Morris, to do a story on Josiah Lake. Most people had good things to say about him, but Soames gave him an earful, told him what he really thought of the man. That Lake was corrupt, using stolen gold to buy influence in Dunwich, to buy the town really. Morris decided to find out the truth. Well, the prominent folks in Dunwich didn't take kindly to his snooping, and they rode him out of town on a rail. He got a pretty good thrashing, too. Soames didn't give up, though. He organized some of the people to oppose Lake. Things came to a head in early '46."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
“Ah yes the allure of the shiny yellow metal, pursuit of it has brought civilizations to ruin throughout existence; Great conductor though, never oxidizes. But people keep decorating with it, like there was just oodles of it to go around. Oh how remiss am I? Isn’t it illegal to be sober while fishing? Oh silly me that’s Classic Earth re-enactment rules. Nevertheless it just seems wrong being out here and not having a drink or two, yes?” Story offers Zeke some Scotch. “So what are we fishing for today Zeke?” Story understands a little about fishing. At least enough to know that patience is a virtue in the sport, and that rushing is a good way to scare your fish away.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, thank you," said Zeke, eyeing the bottle thirstily as he took it in his hands and opened it. He took a hearty slug. "Ah, that hit the spot, all right! This looks like a good spot." He stopped rowing, put the paddles back in the boat and broke out his fishing tackle. After baiting the hook, he dangled it into the sea. "Trout tend to be biting a lot lately, maybe some carp. Salmon if we're lucky." He took a sip of whiskey. "Where was I? Oh, yes, 1946. That's when it all happened. In mid-January, that's when Soames sent a letter to Morris asking for his help. Lake was winning the struggle for control of Dunwich and was even making veiled threats against his life. Morris had been gathering evidence during the fall of 1945 and writing about him in the national press, but Lake had the town sewn up. Y'see, Dunwich has been corrupt for centuries. It used to be a huge city, with a seat in Parliament and everything. Well, after most of the town fell into the sea, it still had that seat. Notorious rotten borough, Dunwich was. Up until 1832, when they put a stop to it. Anyway, Morris took his evidence to constables in the area and convinced them to do something. They joined forces with Soames and his followers, and they arrested Lake and his inner circle, locking 'em up in the local jail. It looked like everything was all sewn up nicely. But that night..." He gulped and took a swig from the bottle. "That night everything changed..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
Story had wanted to use some of his attention to examine the sea floor to look for clues for what might have taken his TARDIS, but he realized at this point that what Zeke was telling him was probably far more important than any casual observation he could make. Story decides to focus on Zeke's story. (heh)

"What changed that night?"
Roll Psychology,Skill 90% [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4048259/]roll[/url] 1d100 → [35] = (35)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Story could see that Zeke was being sincere when he gave his account. He also seemed very afraid, but the alcohol was helping him work up his courage. He took a long swig from the bottle to shore himself up before continuing.

"That was the night they came," he went on, lowering his voice and glancing from side to side. "I seen 'em then - Sea Devils! They came outta the sea, lookin' like giant walking fish, or frogs, or turtles, or something! I was scared near to death, and I hid. They didn't see me, or I wouldn't still be here. They went into town and went back to the sea a while later. In the morning, Soames, Morris, the bobbies, and their supporters were dead, and Lake and his friends were free."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
This reaffirmed Soames' story about large sea creatures claimed to be seen by his brother. An actual eye witness! Story became excited. Think of it! Large humanoid aquatics! That would explain the TARDIS' strange disappearance into the ocean, and the strange shapes seen beneath the water, AND the disappearance of Dr. Kirby. But if his history was correct, and it usually was, humans had no contact with humanoid aquatics during this time. Indeed they remained ignorant to the Silurians right under their noses and thought themselves to be very alone on Earth when it came to intelligence. Story could not recall at all, any interaction with an intelligent aquatic species this early in Earth's history. This is exactly the sort of opportunity he had wanted when he left Gallifrey! A close look at the real history of events. Who would have thought that this sleepy little sunken town harbored such an opportunity, to be there, right there, with humans and...whatever...as they forge a relationship.....Story's thoughts trailed a bit darker though. Zeke's story relates what happened 4 decades ago, an eternity for humans. This man, now old enough to be a grandfather, would have been but a young boy back then. These creatures had seemed to remain close but hiding. If they didn't want to make broad contact with humanity why come this close to shore and risk exposure? They clearly came to the aid of Josiah Lake which meant they would have valued Lake pretty highly. Why Lake? Since this occurred only a year after the return of Captain Lake from war, one can only conclude that such a trusting relationship between Lake and ....well we'll just call them the Aquatics... was forged not here in Dunwich but earlier, perhaps at his station in the war. Lake must have brought them to Dunwich, that's why the fish returned. Story would just bet that the gold that Lake had brought back with them was also in some way related to these creatures. Maybe they had found spoils from a sunken ship, or some such cache. Story would need to examine some of this gold to know where it might have originated. Story told himself despite his excitement at the opportunity, he had to remain cautious, these creatures had likely kidnapped Dr. Kirby, stolen his TARDIS, and killied several people to free Lake. Story refused to believe it was simple greed that drove Lake, he must have had motives that turned Soames against him. Lake wanted something that gold was buying him, and by extension these creatures wanted something, something Lake could get them. The best way to figure out why these creatures are here, is to explore the actions and motives of Josiah Lake. Specifically, how Lake was using his influence in Dunwich would shed a light on why the Aquatics came, and remained after his death.

Story's mind now distilled the sudden revelation down; Zeke a man who had just admitted to seeing sea monsters, would need some reassurance. "I believe there are many things man has not seen, both beneath the waves, beneath the surface, and beyond the sky. If you say you saw such things rise from the water, I believe you. These, creatures, must have been related in some way to Captain Lake and what he was doing in Dunwich. What was Lake doing with his new found popularity and influence that turned Soames and Morris against him so profoundly?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Zeke nodded and took another stiff drink. "It was the bribery and corruption that drew Soames' ire," he said. "He was a man of integrity, and he couldn't stand to see his hometown being bought up. His wife supported him, and she was killed too. Their two boys survived, though. As to Morris, maybe he smelled a story, wanted to make a name for himself, win awards, that sort of thing. I don't know if they knew anything about Lake's plans for Dunwich or not.

"Once there was nobody left to oppose him, Lake started making some changes here. Not everyone agreed with him, but those that didn't made real sure to be polite. The preacher at the St. James Church was one of those killed, and one of Lake's friends, Father Stewart, took over the post. His son is in charge there today. There were some...subtle alterations to the services. We all had to take oaths. Father Stewart preached prosperity, and we got it. Fish in abundance, and Lake never ran short of gold, neither. Lake had also brought some strange womenfolk back from the Pacific, where he'd served. He married one himself, and he encouraged the other prominent men to marry them too. Father Stewart did. The Barne family didn't want anything to do with this, so they up and left back in '47, selling off their land. They sold their old manor to Josiah Lake, wanting to at least stay on good terms with him. It became the Lake family home."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
Changes to the local church dogma? Strange women from far off lands to be taken as wives? Well there was more to know here for sure. But the plan behind these moves was still far from clear. A good British lass was competitively as comely as any woman; Bringing back women like war prizes to be distributed like party favors seems rather odd. Especially since the well to do families would have little trouble finding quality spouses at home. They must be related to what happened with Lake in the Pacific, and therefore the Aquatics. Story resolved to continue fishing there first.

"These women that Lake brought with them; Was there anything strange about their manner or appearance? Really anything about them at all that stands out in your memory as just odd?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What was strange about their appearance was that we didn't see them at all," said Zeke. "They never showed themselves in public."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
"Well that's pretty odd. Never seen in public? Never seen by anyone? That's real odd. Is there anyone still alive married to one of these women? Or does one of the widows still live in town?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The widows don't live in town, no," said Zeke. "It's been near forty years, but a few of those men are still alive today. They keep to themselves, though."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
So the women were all to expectedly unavailable. No matter a living link to them existed in Father Stewarts son. Conincedentially the other anomolous behavior of Lake, the changing of Church liturgy also involved Father Stewarts son. It was looking more and more like the path back to his TARDIS was going to be through the Dunwich Church.

"So you said the things changed at the Church, oaths had to be taken, what kind of oaths if you don't mind me asking? Was there anything else that you recall about how services changed?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I had to take the oaths too," said Zeke, taking another slug of scotch. "The first two, anyway. I never took the third oath, but that was optional. Didn't want to marry one of them strange women, which was what it involved. Much better off being a bachelor, mate. It's been a long time, so I don't remember exactly how the oaths went, but I remember the gist. The first oath was one of secrecy...guess I broke that one, eh? The second was loyalty, I think.

"Father Stewart rededicated the St. James Church to 'Our Lady of the Sea.' Most things stayed much the same, at least on the surface, but I don't think he was worshipping the same God any more, if you catch my drift. A lot of the good, God-fearing folk in town packed up and went elsewhere. Father Stewart's church is the only one left in town, 'cept those that are underwater, o' course."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MikeTheMoose
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by MikeTheMoose »

Story:
Hmmm. Classic secrecy and loyalty oaths pretty standard secret society/occultism fare. 'The only church in town, except those under water...' Something told Story that they were all part of the same congregation anyway. 'Our Lady of the Sea' indeed.

Story took some time to look around at the water below to see if he could observe anything that would be helpful.

One matter could also be helpful. The gold Lake had brought to town. Every culture that collected gold on Earth, usually at least minted or stamped it even if it was just ingots, if not fully fashioned it into decorations. "Do you remember anything about the gold Lake brought back to Dunwich? Is there anywhere I could go to see an example of it?"

One thing did not make sense to Story. All the focus on religion. Normally not the big focus of the more practical malevolent forces of the universe. Had he stumbled upon some sort of radical occultism....yet again...?

Return to “Episode 2”