IC-Ep 2-Searching the Past(Chad/Raymond/Salem)

The TARDIS goes missing, dragged into the sea by something inhuman. During their investigations, Story and his companions join up with the team from UNIT. Leonek and Salem make a horrifying discovery.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-Searching the Past(Chad/Raymond/Salem)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dunwich Museum - Dunwich, England
11:35 AM - Thursday, September 5, 1985

"Do you have any questions about the Roman exhibits?" asked Amelia. "When you're ready, we'll move on and I'll show you the exhibits on Saxon Dunwich."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Searching the Past(Chad/Raymond/Salem)

Post by SSior.27 »

Chad continues to follow and listens only a little bit. "Ready when you are."
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The Roman Empire fell into decline," explained Amelia as she led the group to the next cluster of exhibits. "They withdrew from Britain, replaced by the Angles and Saxons who plundered the eastern coast in their absence. They used Dunwich for the same purpose that the Romans did: trading with the Continent. In the seventh century A.D., the Saxon king of East Anglia decided to convert to Christianity, and he brought his friend, a monk named Felix, to Dunwich from his native Burgundy to convert the people. He became known as Saint Felix, and he was the first bishop of Dunwich. Here is a portrait of him." She indicated a panel of stained glass.

"It was from that point that Dunwich became a centre for religion as well as commerce, and the construction of churches for which the town became famous began. Aethilwald was the last bishop of Dunwich, in the ninth century, and his seal can be found in the British Museum in London, but we have a replica of it here." She pointed it out.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

"I assume St. James Church was built around the seventh and ninth century?" asked Salem.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Actually, no," said Amelia. "It was the last one constructed here, built in 1832. All of the old churches were built to the east and are now sunken. By 1832, only All Saints' Church was left, standing on a cliff edge overlooking the sea. They built St. James's Church inland so that it wouldn't meet the fate of all the others."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

"What happened in the ninth century that Dunwich lost it's Diocese? Not enough people?" Raymond asked as they walked through the museum. "Has there ever been a plague or disease outbreak in Dunwich?"

Raymond tried to turn his line of questioning to a more useful subject, as much as he enjoyed the little history lesson they did have a job to do.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, Dunwich was still growing in those days," said Amelia. "The coastal erosion didn't really get underway until after a tremendous storm in the 13th century. Dunwich, like any other English city, had its share of plagues. The Black Death struck in the 1340s, same as it did in London and elsewhere. More recently there's been a rash of odd...deformities in the local populace. It started showing up in the seventies. The people who developed them looked normal before, and it seems to only affect young adults. I've never heard of it happening to children or older people. Maybe it has something to do with that nuclear plant nearby."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Yeah, we saw a gentleman with some skin problems at the inn. That is odd, I can't imagine it would be the nuclear plant - if it was then everyone would be getting sick. Unless all the young folks that have been becoming deformed all work there. Is there anything obvious that they have in common?" Raymond inquires.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Just the symptoms, and the fact that they're all from Dunwich," said Amelia. "Nobody is really spared. Some of the poorest residents have it, and so does Bertie Lake. It affects both men and women. I don't really know too much about medicine. For that, you should talk to Dr. Richard Strong, who lives just up the street. History is my speciality."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Bertie Lake?" Raymond is quite interested, "I met Dr. Strong briefly when I got into town, is he treating these people?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd imagine so," said Amelia. "He's the only doctor in town. Mr. Lake hasn't been seen in a few years. His condition is probably getting worse. He's the son of the late Captain Josiah Lake, who rose to prominence after he came back from the war. The Barne family used to own Dunwich, but they sold off their assets in 1947, and he bought a lot of them, including their manor and grounds."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by SSior.27 »

"Fascinating. Where is the manor? Would we be able to drive by and see that... fixture of historical... importance?" And at that point Chad remembered why he wasn't the one asking the questions...
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, it's right down Monastery Hill," answered Amelia. "You can get there by turning right at the end of the street past the Ship Inn, and you'll eventually see it on your right. You should be able to have a nice view of it from the road, but you'll need to stay off of the driveway leading to the manor. It's private property, and the Lake family values its privacy very highly."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"I wonder why the Barne family sold everything off. I feel like if I owned most of a town I would keep hold of it - for investment's sake at least." Raymond thinks for a few moments before coming to a the decision to just make the plunge, "You know, it's strange that people in town get that disease, or at least some people and not others. Our friend Valerie Kirby mentioned a guy by the name of Armistead that developed all these symptoms and from what I heard, he was only in Dunwich for a short time."

OOC,Don't think that I am a talker or your characters shouldn't or can't ask questions/move the plot along. I very often talk myself into a corner or am stumped for questions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, you know Dr. Kirby!" said Amelia, brightening. "She did pay the museum a visit a couple of days ago, and I had a great conversation with her. I'm glad she recommended this place to you. Armistead...I know I've heard that name before...Of course, Beth Armistead! She's an historian too. She wrote a book about Dunwich some thirty years ago. But you said it was a guy. A relative, perhaps?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"You know Beth Armistead? What am I saying, of course you know of her since she is a Dunwich historian." Raymond relaxes a little bit, "Yeah, I'm talking about a relative of hers, her son actually. His name's Simon, he came to visit Dunwich not too long ago and he developed the same deformities that some of the people we've seen here have. Except his seemed to be very acute."

As they walk and talk Raymond continues, "He was only in Dunwich for a little bit, though he changed just the same. Dr. Kirby, myself and my fellows are trying to figure out why, in case it is something dangerous. We haven't heard from Dr. Kirby though, she was supposed to meet us here. Can you tell me anything about what she was doing while she was here? What she was looking into, who she was talking to?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've never heard of anyone from outside of Dunwich coming down with any symptoms," said Amelia. "Dr. Kirby and I talked a lot about Dunwich's history, and she did ask me about the odd deformities, but I didn't have any answers for her other than what I told you. She wanted to know more about recent history here, so I directed her to old Zeke Baker, the chap who found the denarius. He can usually be found combing the beaches when he isn't out fishing. He's usually a bit taciturn, but some liquor will set him to talking. She left the museum after that, presumably to go find him. I don't know who else she spoke to, though. Mr. Baker is about fifty years old or so, and he typically wears a green mackintosh and a fisherman's hat. If he's on the beach, he's probably going about with a metal detector."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"I'll have to talk to both of them I suppose. Quick question, why did the Barne family sell out to the Lakes? I imagine owning most of a town - even one on the decline - can be quite profitable."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't really know why the Barne family sold off their holdings," said Amelia. "I was young at the time. The war impoverished many people, so they might have needed the money, or maybe they wanted to seek out a better investment. They sold it to many of the people living in Dunwich, not just the Lake family. Captain Lake was very wealthy after he came back from the war, so he was able to afford their manor."
OOC,Everyone is moving to the thread linked below.
Tourists
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 2”