Character Creation/Rules

1985, Dunwich, England: Will the Time Lord, his companions, and a team from UNIT uncover the secrets that this decaying town harbors, or will they fall prey to its horrific perils?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the third of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time and The Ninth Planet.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Character Creation/Rules

Post by Mr. Handy »

The following rules are for character creation for new characters from 1985 (use the Modern era character sheet):
  • Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
  • Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
  • Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.
  • Do not roll for personal wealth. This is irrelevant for this adventure, as UNIT will issue you equipment for this assignment.
You can use Invisible Castle to make your rolls, both for character creation and in the game. You'll need to register and log in there in order to make entries in the Note section describing what you're rolling, but it's free. Be sure to use the same spelling for your character's name consistently to make it easier to look up old rolls.

Those are the only rolls you need to make for character creation. You are free to distribute the 3d6 rolls amongst the five stats that are rolled on 3d6, as well as to choose which 2d6+6 roll goes to SIZ and which to INT. EDU can be raised by making your character older. If you're still not satisfied with your rolls, let me know and we'll work something out. If your rolls are abnormally low, I may permit a reroll of the entire set.

You'll also need to decide on your character's age. The minimum age allowed is EDU+6, but you can always choose to make your character older. For every 10 full years above the minimum, you get +1 to your EDU (which also gets you an extra 20 occupational skill points). However, for every full 10 years above 40 (i.e., starting at age 50), you must reduce one of the following stats by 1: STR, CON, DEX, or APP.

Your character has the following derived stats:
Idea: INT x 5
Luck: POW x 5
Know: EDU x 5 (maximum of 99)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table
  • 12 or less: -1d6
  • 13-16: -1d4
  • 17-24: +0
  • 25-32: +1d4
  • 33 or more: +1d6
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up)
Maximum Magic Points: POW
Starting Sanity: POW x 5

You get 20 x EDU occupational skill points that can only be used to increase skills for your chosen profession. You also get 10 x INT hobby skill points that can be spent to increase any skills (even the ones for your occupation if you really want). The only skill that cannot be raised is Cthulhu Mythos, which always starts at 0%. The other skills have base levels of 1% or higher, and the points you spend add to those base levels. To see the list of skills and their starting levels, see the Quick Start rules for Call of Cthulhu: http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=87 (the modern list is identical, except that it also contains Computer Use and Electronics, both of which have a 1% base)

Check the "Your Career in U.N.I.T." thread for possible character concepts and lists of occupational skills. If you have something else in mind, let me know your character concept and I can give you a suitable list of occupational skills. The occupational skills for many professions are listed in the rulebook. Some of these lists allow you to choose one or two of your occupational skills. Just make sure it's within reason for your chosen occupation.

I won't be imposing a cap for starting skills, but you should justify any exceptionally high skills you have in your character background. 75% in a skill means that you're an expert. 90% means that you're one of the best in the world. UNIT does employ some of the best of the best, so it's quite possible for your character to be that good at a particular skill. Spend all your skill points during character creation, as they're of no use once the game is underway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ssior.27, I received your character and there are only a couple of minor things that need fixing. First, to raise your EDU from 11 to 13 requires a minimum age of 37. Second, you only spent 110 out of 130 hobby skill points, so please let me know where you want to put the other 20. Once that's taken care of, I can post your completed character sheet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by SSior.27 »

Ah, right. The age change is fine. I failed my math today.

The 20 skill points, I believe, went to Physics, I believe. A little more theoretical course work outside the realms of his occupation.
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That makes sense. Physics is actually an occupational skill for a pilot, but there's no reason you can't spend hobby points on it. You're all set! I'll post your character sheet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by SSior.27 »

Yeah, I just had some extra points and figured what the heck, haha. Cheers, Keeper!
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
MadJaymilton
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by MadJaymilton »

OK I'm going to post what I have. It's my first time making a character so please be sure my maths were correct (between the Quick Start that was posted, the summary in this thread, and the rule book, I'm pretty sure I have things right, but I'm paranoid :) ). Rolls can be found here. Also, I did not mark my non-default skills, as I was not able to find mention of that in the book.

Player: MadJaymilton
Name: Pantaleon (Leonek) Novak
Sex: Male
Current Residence: U.N.I.T. Barracks
Colleges: Royal School of Military Engineering
Birthplace: Koszalin, Poland, 1961
Home Era: 1980's

Characteristics:
STR: 9
CON: 10
SIZ: 16
DEX: 14
APP: 8
INT: 18 (Idea - 90)
POW: 11 (Luck - 55)
EDU: 15 (Know - 75)

Sanity: 55
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 13
Magic Points: 11
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Background: In 1981, Poland's leaders declared martial law to crack down on political dissent. Thousands were swept up and arrested because of their pro-democracy views. Fearing that they would be targets, the Novak family crept westward, not stopping until the defectors were safe in England. Leonek Novak joined the Army--in part, to offer "proof" that his family were loyal to their new home. He joined the Sappers in the Corps of Royal Engineers, and after leaving the Royal School of Military Engineering he was assigned to duty with U.N.I.T. His posting is more out of what he represents--the former Warsaw Pact child, now a symbol of the United Nations' ideals--than out of any great skill or impression that he's made. Currently he works as a mechanic in the motor pool and occasionally acts as a driver for personnel or visiting VIPs.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
.Art (Piano) (05%): 15%
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
.Biology (01%): 11%
Chemistry (01%): 31%
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 28%
Drive Auto (20%): 65%
Electrical Repair (10%): 65%
.Electronics (01%): 26%
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%): 21%
Hide (10%):
.History (20%): 25%
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%): 50%
.Listen (25%): 45%
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%): 65
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
.Navigate (10%): 40%
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%): 51%
.Other Language: English (01%): 51%
Own Language: Polish (EDU x 5%): 75%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%): 31%
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
.Handgun (20%): 35%
Machine Gun (15%):
.Rifle (25%): 40%
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
My (hasty) research indicates that the Browning Hi-Power (L9A1) was the sidearm of the British military at this time, but I'm not sure if that conflicts with anything you may have in mind as keeper.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Everything checks out, so you're all set! I'll post your character sheet during the day on Monday. The Browning Hi-Power is fine, and I have stats for it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Alrighty, this is what I have so far http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1096510. Right now, I don't have the time to distribute my points or write up a personal background for my character, but so far I'm thinking of being a Medical Officer aged 23 at least. Is it alright if I picked Spot Hidden as one of my Occupational Skills?
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard, DetectiveSocks! Yes, Spot Hidden can work as an occupational skill for a medical officer. It would be useful in examining patients, and also useful for performing surgery.

Take your time building your character. It'll be at least a week before we start, probably longer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

If you have any questions about my character, let me know. Here's my rolls for my character.http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1096510/

Name: Salem Shields
Current Residence: UNIT Officers' Quarters at UNIT UK's headquarters
Colleges: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts
Home Era: 1980’s

Characteristics:
STR: 13
CON: 12
SIZ: 11
DEX: 9
APP: 11
INT: 16 (Idea - 80)
POW: 12 (Luck - 60)
EDU: 17 (Know - 85)

Sanity: 60
Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 12
Damage Bonus: 0

Background:

Salem and his twin brother Isaac grew up without a father, for their father has either been drafted to the Vietnam War or dodged the draft and fled from the country without even knowing he had any sons. Salem and Isaac spend most of their time growing up at a daycare in a children hospital, for their mother was a nurse. It gave the brothers a very surreal sense of mortality, but they would still invest their time into making friends despite how some children were terminally ill. Salem has currently finished his medical studies at MIT and was approached by U.N.I.T. for his expertise in Medicine and Biology, especially that of Zoology to identify the structure and physiology of species. With a strong desire to help people, Salem took the opportunity without question, with the promise of helping people with his expertise around the world.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
.Biology (01%): 80%
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 25%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2): 39%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%): 75%
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
.Medicine (05%): 80%
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Other Language: Latin (01%): 16%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 85
Persuade (15%):
.Pharmacy (01%): 61%
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
.Psychoanalysis (01%): 71%
.Psychology (05%): 75%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%): 80%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
Last edited by DetectiveSocks on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks great! Salem will fit in very nicely on this adventure, and I'm sure his skills will be useful. There are just a couple of corrections. You don't need to edit the sheet; you can just let me know by posting here what the changes are. You don't actually live in Dunwich (hardly anybody does any more), and you've never been there. You'd live in the UNIT Officers' Quarters at UNIT UK's headquarters, most likely. Also, you've only spent a total of 479 skill points, but you have 500 in all to spend. Please spend the remaining 21 points on any skill or skills you like.

Salem will also need a military rank. He is an M.D., though at his age he'd only have just gotten his degree months ago and will still be an intern, so as such his rank would be at least Captain - although at his age, it wouldn't be any higher than that, so Captain it is.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

I actually spent my 21 hobby points on dodge, I just forgot to bold it so that might be why you missed it. But.... if you say I still need to spend 21 points on something.... that sounds good too :roll:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I did miss the points you put into Dodge. You're all set! I'll post your completed character sheet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jimacol
Layman
Layman

Post by jimacol »

Right, so my rolls are here http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1100166/
The EDU is pretty lousy, and the rolls i got for SIZ and INT are 8 (lowest possible) and 16. So, given these rolls i''m thinking of one of two possibilities:
Soldier: a big dumb brute for a bit of muscle in the team (SIZ 16, INT 8)
Covert Operative: intelligent, very small (SIZ 8, INT 16), with a criminal background in theft/burglary. So locksmith, climbing, sneaking type skills.
I'm wondering which would be a better fit in the existing group. The Soldier might be less demanding for my first time, though he Covert Op might be more fun.
Thoughts?
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

You can always raise your EDU by up to 2 points, since the minimum age you can be right now is 15 before you sacrifice any of your characteristics after 40 years old. Though of course, it'd be kinda cool if you were a 15 year old covert op, hahaha.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, you can always make your character older than the minimum age. You're not limited to just +2 EDU points, by the way. For every ten full years above the minimum age you make your character, you get +1 EDU, so this can be quite a lot if you don't mind being older. The penalties to other stats don't kick in at 40, though. You lose 1 point to the phsyical stat of your choice for every ten full years above 40, so the first penalty doesn't hit until 50.

Either a soldier or a covert operative could be very useful, depending on how the team approaches things. It's really a matter of your own preference, so it's entirely up to you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by markh »

Done a little at speed, so hopefully things add up.

Rolls http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1104247/

Player: Mark
Name: Valerie
Sex: Female
Current Residence: Southwold
Birthplace: Home Counties, England, 1925

Characteristics:
STR: 3 (4-1)
CON: 7
SIZ: 11
DEX: 5
APP: 11
POW: 11 (Luck - 55)
EDU: 19 (16+3)(Know - 80)

(Minimum Age 22, Actual age 60, +3 EDU -1 STR)

Sanity:
Maximum Sanity: 55
Hit Points: 9
Magic Points:
Damage Bonus: -1d4

Background: Valerie was born in 1925 in the Home Counties. In 1943, at age 18, she applied to join the WAAF, but a recruiter noted her excellent French (a product of many family holidays), and she was diverted to SOE, specifically F section. Trained to parachute into France and liaise with the Resistance, D-Day thwarted her chances of getting into action, and the rest of her war was devoted to training and translation work.

Post-war, she settled down, married a nice young Lieutenant, and never told anyone anything. 30-odd years later, newly widowed, she takes a civil receptionist job at a military base for pin money, and to keep herself busy. At some point her personnel file gets matched up with the old SOE records (which UNIT of course have appropriated), and a very debonair Major appears at her desk and asks if she'd like to do some a little more, ah, active.

Now she alternates between a little light filing, and going to potter around sites of suspicious activity and ask innocent sounding questions.

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (Piano) (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 50
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
.Craft: Gardening (05%): 35
.Credit Rating (15%): 30
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%): 50
Dodge (DEX x 2):
.Drive Auto (20%): 35
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 70
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
.History (20%): 30
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%): 60
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
.Natural History (10%): 30
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
.Other Language: French (01%): 50
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%):95
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%): 68
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
.Psychology (05%): 25
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 60
Spot Hidden (25%): 70
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

There are a few things that need fixing, but after that you'll be all set. Valerie needs a last name. Also, at age 60 she would have 2 penalty points to her physical stats, not just 1. You can, however, fix this by simply making her 59 instead, as the second point kicks in at age 60. She can still be born in 1925 as long as it's late in 1925 (the story begins on September 5, 1985). You have 160 hobby skill points available, but you've spent only 159, so you may add that extra skill point to any skill of your choice. You do not need to edit your character sheet. You can just let me know which skill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jimacol
Layman
Layman

Post by jimacol »

Hi,

Here's my character too, though now I'm worrying now with the arrival of Valerie I'm duplicating skills that already exist in the group. Though mine is more of a cat burglar type, who isn't supposed to be seen. I took some liberties with the professional skills (damn, the bold didn't come out) I can always revert to my big dumb soldier if need be. Have a peruse and let me know. (PS I posted rolls earlier) Oh, and i need to do equipment yet!

Player: jimacol
Name: Elliott Webb
Current Residence: U.N.I.T. Barracks
Colleges: None
Birthplace: London, UK

Characteristics:
STR: 10
CON: 11
SIZ: 8
DEX: 14
APP: 7
POW: 12 (Luck - 60)
EDU: 11 (Know - 55)

Sanity: 60
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 12
Damage Bonus: 0

Background: Dad left home, mum was a junkie, so me and little sis ended up in care. Went through a few foster homes, bunked off school, got into plenty of trouble. You know the story. Looking back, I was a smart kid, just never got the breaks. A lost cause - “he’ll never amount to nothing” was school’s attitude. Fell in with a bad crowd, which was when I started to realize what I was good at. You see, I got a talent for getting into places if you know what I mean. Sure it helps being small and agile, but you gotta use your brain too, right? So I’m getting by doing a few jobs. Sure it’s bad, but I gotta survive you know. And little sis ain’t well, she needs me to take care of her. I get rep, people want me to get hold of files, evidence and such from so-called secure places. It got out of control, and maybe I got cocky. I got caught, and I mean red-handed. Looked like just another faceless government office, I’d never heard of U.N.I.T. So I’ve blown it and I’m ready for a long stretch in Strangeways, cos this U.N.I.T. have clout. But then they offer me a deal. Turns out they’re looking out for people with my talents. Say I can avoid going inside and they’ll look after sis. Just gotta work for them. No brainer, I bit their hand off. Been training and working with them a few years, even gave me a gun. Course, back then I didn’t know what I was letting myself in for....

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
.Climb (40%): 65%
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%): 55%
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2): 43%
.Drive Auto (20%): 25%
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 30%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
.Hide (10%): 65%
History (20%):
.Jump (25%): 40%
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
.Listen (25%): 45%
Locksmith (01%): 71%
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Language: (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 55
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
.Sneak (10%): 70%
.Spot Hidden (25%): 55%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
.Handgun (20%): 40%
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's no probllem. It doesn't hurt to have two covert operatives (we have three engineer-types, after all). Redundant skills can be useful just in case something happens to one of you. :twisted: Also, some skills (such as Sneak) are better when more people have them. There are number of significant differences between your characters anyway.

You've underspent by 10 hobby points by my count, so please spend the additional 10 points on any skill or skills you wish. Again, you don't need to edit your character sheet. You can just let me know where you want to add the points. Don't worry about equipment; it'll be issued early in the adventure.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Shadow Over Dunwich”