Character Creation/Rules

1985, Dunwich, England: Will the Time Lord, his companions, and a team from UNIT uncover the secrets that this decaying town harbors, or will they fall prey to its horrific perils?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the third of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time and The Ninth Planet.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Bandages
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Post by Bandages »

Hello!
Thank you for inviting me into the campaign at this late stage, I have decided to take the role of a U.N.I.T medical officer (Is that the correct term for the rank?), who is fairly new to the organisation.
History:
Dr. Gordon Baxter has dedicated the majority of his adult life to the armed forces and medicine. As a student, Baxter studied medicine at UCL, with the intent of becoming a General Practitioner. However, after his third year he enrolled into the Armed forces, with the intent of finishing his studies at some time during his service.
Over time, Dr. Baxter built up a solid reputation as a reliable medical officer showing a decisive and straight forward approach to his job. Baxter finally completed his doctorate during his service. Dr Baxter served during the Falklands War, but saw no ‘action’, he was mainly based in the HQ’s infirmary, tending to the wounding and advising the other medical officers.
6 months ago, Dr Baxter received an invitation to U.N.I.T HQ, after a recommendation from his superior officer, with the prospect of serving the Organisation.
Personal:
Dr Baxter has a wife and two teenage children, who still live in a suburb of West London. Baxter is an average height (5’11) with a slight paunch and cropped hair, generally well dressed, his trimmed dark brown beard is a source for much of his wife’s irritation. Baxter dislikes conflict, and is quite proud to say that, although trained, he has never had to fire a weapon at a living soul.

Name: Doctor Gordon Baxter
Sex: Male
Current Residence: UNIT UK's headquarters
Colleges: University College London
Birthplace: Kent
Home Era: 1980’s
Equipment: I presume U.N.I.T provides all the supplies required? Otherwise generic field medical kit and a hand gun.

Here are his stats, if there are any mistakes, invariably there will be! Please let me know. As I still have not been able to register on Invisible Castle I have simply linked the rolls. If this does not work I’ll try and find a more appropriate solution.
Characteristics:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4646519/
STR:10
CON:12
POW:16
DEX: 11
APP: 6

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4646523/
INT:14
SIZ:11

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4646524/
EDU: 18 (+2 for age so 20)

Idea (INT x5) 70
Luck (POW x5) 80
Knowledge (EDU x 5) 99
Sanity: 80
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 16
Damage Bonus: 0

Occupation points: EDU (20) x 20 = 400
Hobby points: INT (14) x 10 =140
Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%): 65
.Chemistry (01%): 61

Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 22
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%): 80
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
.History (20%):50
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
.Library Use (25%):75
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%): 75
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Other Language: Latin (01%): 50
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 99
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%): 80
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%): 65
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):44
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

(Edited 18.9.14)
And thanks again for the invite.
Last edited by Bandages on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

You''re welcome, and your character looks great! There are only a few minor things that need fixing.

The minimum age is EDU+6, which in your case was 24. You get +1 EDU for each full 10 years above that you make your character, so if you want EDU 20, you can just make him 44 instead of 41. Alternatively, you can reduce your EDU to 19.

Yes, the maximum score for Know (and for Own Language) is 99.

Your Hit Points are 12 rather than 11, the average of CON and SIZ (rounded up).

By my count, you've only spent 376 occupational skill points, giving you an extra 24 to spend (or just 4 if you decide to drop your EDU to 19).

Equipment will be issued to you, though you can make requests for special equipment. A medical kit and a handgun are standard issue.

As a doctor, your rank will be at least Captain in most branches of the armed forces. In the Royal Navy, you'd have a rank of Lieutenant or higher (like Lt. Harry Sullivan), but the naval rank of Lieutenant is the equivalent to the rank of Captain in the Army, RAF, or Royal Marines. With your age and experience, you could easily be a Major or Lt. Colonel if you wish (Lt. Commander or Commander if in the Royal Navy). You may choose whichever of those ranks you like.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Bandages
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by Bandages »

Thanks for looking over it Mr Handy, much appreciated.
Mr. Handy wrote:As a doctor, your rank will be at least Captain in most branches of the armed forces. In the Royal Navy, you'd have a rank of Lieutenant or higher (like Lt. Harry Sullivan), but the naval rank of Lieutenant is the equivalent to the rank of Captain in the Army, RAF, or Royal Marines. With your age and experience, you could easily be a Major or Lt. Colonel if you wish (Lt. Commander or Commander if in the Royal Navy). You may choose whichever of those ranks you like.
If possible, I’d like to start on the lowest rank, Captain, as I don’t feel experienced enough to start giving out any orders! If that’s ok?
Thanks again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that works. I've added your completed character sheet to the character sheets thread. I don't have time tonight, but I should be able to get you started in a new In Character thread either tomorrow night or the next day. Enjoy!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've started your IC thread here. You may post whenever you're ready. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheVaultTech
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by TheVaultTech »

Carla the super soldier is ready to kill some monsters!
Attachments
CARLA HEY CARLA.png
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

She looks great! The only thing that needs fixing is that it looks like you didn't spend enough occupational skill points, and your Know score should be 90 rather than 80 (her Own Language score, presumably English, will be the same). You get a total of 360 occupational skills points with 18 EDU, and you spent a total of 335, presuming your occupational skills are Dodge, First Aid, Hide, Listen, Mechanical Repair, Rifle, Sneak, and Shotgun. You have another 25 points to add to these skills. Just let me know which of your occupational skills are getting how many points and I'll post the completed sheet in the Character Sheets thread. You should also type up a background for her and post it here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheVaultTech
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TheVaultTech »

I tend to forget to change things after I edit my age, thanks for catching that!

Carla is a soldier through and through, insisting to stay in the field and personally annihilate whatever gets her in way. She's been trained in the use of rifles, but she far prefers shotguns. She's been in UNIT longer than most of the people she works with, and considering their line of work, this has started several silly rumours about her age, place of origin, and intent. She's since halted trying to put a stop to them, and now messes with the youngest members by pretending to make phones to her home planet. Though she seems cold and hard at first glance, she's actually quite nice and has a warm heart. Rumours that she spends her free time writing poems is treason.
She's seen plenty of crazy stuff, and is pretty calloused to most of it at this point, and doubts anything will faze her any more. Unlike most of her peers, she's practiced with Operating most Heavy Machine- from tractors to even a few tanks. She repairs and assembles several types of weapons while wearing a blindfold in her spare time.

Edit: final char sheet update, hopefully
Attachments
CARLA HEY CARLA.png
Last edited by TheVaultTech on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Art(Compose Poem) isn't one of your occupational skills. I'd allow it, but you're not likely to get a chance to use it. You might want to move those 16 points somewhere else.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Your character sheet has been posted. You should start by reading this post in the thread Revenge of the Creature. Read that thread to the end, which isn't far, but don't read the parts of the thread before that, as you weren't present. Carla is one of the two UNIT soldiers who bursts in. Once you finish that thread, you can read and post in The Three Doctors whenever you're ready. Don't read the other IC threads that your character isn't in until after the adventure is over. The sole exception is the Introduction thread in Episode 1, which everyone may read. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Xamthos
Layman
Layman

Post by Xamthos »

I'll take over Leonek Novak. if you could explain how to use invisiblecastle that would be great.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, he's yours! To use Invisible Castle, you can follow the instructions in this post. The instructions are dated. Apparently new people cannot register on Invisible Castle due to a bug, and it hasn't been updated in three years. However, you can still use the site. Invisible Castle now has a Campaign Name field, so you can put The Shadow Over Dunwich there and simply put your character's name by itself in the Name field. Unfortunately, you can no longer use that or the Note field unless you're logged into the site.

To catch up on Leonek's story so far, you'll want to read the following threads in the order below:
Episode 1: Missing in Action, Accident and Emergency, Checking In, Regrouping, Back at the Inn
Episode 2: Reunion, Bottoms Up, Next Steps, On the Trail, Beneath the Surface, Alone in the Dark
Episode 3: The Underwater Menace, Revelations, Fury from the Deep, Warriors of the Deep, Fish or Cut Bait
Episode 4: The Thing that Should Not Be, Best Laid Plans, Team Bullding, The File Room, Intelligence, Selections

Once you've finished catching up, you may start posting in character for Leonek in Selections, his current thread. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Hello,

Just wanted to post my character sheet for consideration.

Player: Dustakr
Name: Newton Noyes
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Where U.N.I.T wants it.
Colleges, Degrees: Some Training @ Courtesy of U.N.I.T
Birthplace: Unknown
Home Era: 1985
Characteristics:
STR = 8
CON = 14
POW =10
DEX = 9
APP = 7
SIZ = 11
INT = 16
EDU = 14 + 1 = 15
IDEA = 80
LUCK = 50
KNOW = 75
Sanity: 50
Phobias/Mental Disorders: Memory Loss
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 13
Magic Points: 10
Damage Bonus: +0
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4740758/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4740764/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4740765/

Background: Newton Noyes, found by U.N.I.T squad/group on one of their way, He was appeared to be unconscious, few bruises not particularly injured, responded to first-aid by one of Medic. Unaware of surroundings still, couldn't remembers his own name, cloths wore at time indicated civilian; most probably mugged. Was consistently asking group about who are they, how did they find him?, why do they come to rescue him?, why are they here in the first place? Not in exact orders but group tried to satisfied his questionary with single line; “We found you here only lying, at Newton Noyes.”from their he Insisted on following group, though telling him to stay away every each way possible, he followed Group, till this date, Loyalty : Uncertain.
Only Known Past of "NeNo", is that place, how did he end up there, what caused him to get unconscious, why he was unable to recall anything past that, why did he trusted U.N.I.T and ready to follow them to nth realms of universe but still wondering about what was U.N.I.T doing at that earthly place at that Time?

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Cthulhu Mythos (00%): -
Dodge (DEX x 2): 18%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 75

Chemistry (01%): - 46%
Electrical Repair (10%): 40%
Geology (01%): 46%
Martial Arts (01%): krate : 36%
Mechanical Repair (20%): 40 %
Operate Heavy Machine (01%): 51%
Physics (01%): 51%
Library Use (25%): 50%

.First Aid (30%): - 45%
.Astronomy (01%): 16%
.Conceal (15%): 30%
.Craft (05%) : Book Binding :20%
.Disguise (01%): 21%
.Drive Auto (20%): 25%
.Fast Talk (05%): 40%
.Hide (10%): 15%
.Pharmacy (01%): 16%
.Sneak (10%): 20%
Hand-to-Hand:
.Fist/Punch (50%): 60% : Hobby

Now that time has past, he managed to run all sorts of errands for U.N.I.T team; ...most of the time, self-proclaimed Technician, still need to get an proper rank from U.N.I.T.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, dustakr! Everything looks great. It may be a few days before I have time to post your completed sheet in the Character Sheets thread, but you can post in Briefing any time once you've finished reading it. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by NFVD »

Here's the technical data on newest...victim U.N.I.T. will be deploying.

Man...such lousy rolls. :x I don't think? have ever rolled such a bland PC.

3d6=10, 3d6=10, 3d6=8, 3d6=11, 3d6=10
2d6+6=12, 2d6+6=11
3d6+3=9

Allocation:

STR 10, CON 10, POW 11, DEX 10, APP 8
SIZ 11, INT 12
EDU 9 + 3 from age = 12

Minimum Age: 15 + 30 years = 45

Professional Skill Points: 12 x 20 = 240

Dodge 20 + 25 = 45
First Aid 30 + 20 = 50
Hide 10 + 20 = 30
Listen 25 + 40 = 65
Mechanical Repair 20 + 30 = 50
Rifle 25 + 50 = 75
Sneak 10 + 25 = 35
(Pilot Helicopter) 01 + 30 = 31

Hobby Skill Points: 12 x 10 = 120

Drive Auto 20 + 20 = 40
Handgun 20+ 20 = 40
Other Language (Arabic) 01 + 10 = 11
Other Language (French) 01 + 15 = 16
Other Language (Portuguese) 01 + 10 = 11
Other Language (Spanish) 01 + 25 = 26
Spot Hidden 25 + 20 = 45

I'll wait for the GM to vet the stats before doing the backgroup writeup.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, and everything checks out perfectly! Once you've posted your background, I'll add your character sheet to the Character Sheets thread when I have time (which might not be until next week). I'll also issue you standard equipment, and you can request additional equipment when you post your background here. The rolls may be low average, but you can make your character interesting regardless of your stats.

In order to catch up, you'll need to read the threads Briefing, One If By Land, and Move Out! (your current thread). It's assumed that your character is one of the many UNIT soldiers who was present there. Once you've read all of that, you may start posting in Move Out! whenever you're ready, and you may also make the Spot Hidden roll. You may not read any of the other In Character threads that your character isn't in until the adventure is over (with the optional exception of Introduction in Episode 1). Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by NFVD »

Background: Staff Sgt. Donald Forney was born in the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar while WW2 was raging. His father was a career military officer stationed at British Forces Gibraltar who wished his son followed his footsteps. Sadly Donald performed mediocrely at school, barely getting the grades for a High School diploma, and afterwards failed to enter both college and the military academy. In a rebellious fit he then stubbornly refused to listen to his father, who wanted him to join the military anyway as a regularprivate. After a few years doing odd jobs and failing to get a career started Donald finally relemted and volunteered for the Royal Army, where he has spent the last 20 years in a career that has been as exemplary as it has been uneventful. The only fields of excellence mentioned on his performace reports are the capacity to keep his mouth shut and skill with rifle (which he never had to use except in trainign exercises).

Most of Donald's time if the army (by sheer luck or due to influence from his father with higher-ups) has been spent in Gilbratar, with its good weather and plenty of sunshine. He has hardly ever left the istmus except for a few NATO training operations in France, leave holidays on Southern Spain, Portugal and Morrocco and the odd trip to Britain (which he finds to wet, cold and dark for his tastes).

Recently, due solely to the legth of his career and lack of blots on his military record, Donald has been promoted to Staff Sargeanrt, but the promotion came with with a re-deployment to mainland Britain and a transfer to the ranks of U.N.I.T.

Note for the GM: I gave Donald his NCO rank based on what I found online about the structure of the British Armed Forces. If it is too high let me know.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! I've posted your character sheet, and you may jump in whenever you're ready. I made a few minor edits to the background, mostly spelling corrections. The UK's Army is called the British Army, though the other branches of service are called Royal (Navy, Marines, Air Force).

Your rank is fine, and fitting for someone who has been in the Army for so long. You'll be in command of a squad of UNIT soldiers on this mission, and your squad will accompany the Brigadier.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Shadow Over Dunwich”