The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

1985, Dunwich, England: Will the Time Lord, his companions, and a team from UNIT uncover the secrets that this decaying town harbors, or will they fall prey to its horrific perils?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the third of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time and The Ninth Planet.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome, and welcome aboard! The first thing you should do is look at the Cast of Characters thread. The initial post tells you which characters are in the game and which of their players are MIA. Their character sheets are listed below, and you should look through them. You may choose any of the ones marked MIA except for Valerie Soames, whose old player may return. The ones in the bottom portion of the cast list require the least catching up to play. The ones in the section above that have been in the game since the beginning, so you'd need to do a lot more back reading to play them. Alternatively, you can create your own character, but it would have to be a UNIT soldier. The Your Career in U.N.I.T. thread has background information on UNIT and occupational skill lists for the various careers. You'll probably use the Soldier template, though Military Officer or some other specialty is possible (however, your rank in that case would be no higher than lieutenant). The Character Creation/Rules thread has full instructions for creating your own character. You can build your character or ask questions about character creation in that thread, or you can post your choice in that thread if you decide to take over an abandoned character.

You should not read any In Character threads that do not include your character. The only exception is the Introduction thread in Episode 1, which everyone is free to read. Once the adventure concludes, which I expect will be in May, everyone will be free to read the entire adventure. If you choose an abandoned character, you should read that character's IC threads. I'll let you know which ones they are once you've made your selection, or I'll tell you which threads to read if you create a new character. Once I see your sheet, I'll know to which group your character should be assigned. Also, do not read Stranger in a Strange Land unless you've already decided to take over Raymond MacIntyre (which would be a challenge).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by johnson41996 »

awesome, i think im going to take over the roll of Doctor Gordon Baxter! so what do i do next lol
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, he's all yours! In order to catch up, you'll need to read the following threads in the order below:

Episode 4: The Late Shift->Revenge of the Creature->The Three Doctors->Briefing->One If By Land->Move Out!
Episode 5: Storming the Castle

Storming the Castle is your current thread. Once you've caught up on the reading, you may post in character in that thread whenever you are ready. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Sweet is there a resource for the commands to do the rolls and the spoilers and what not?
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, this thread has instructions for using the built-in dice roller and the spoiler button tags. You can also use Invisible Castle for dice rolling, but it's currently down. I've posted instructions for using it here, but they're out of date. Invisible Castle now has a Campaign Name field, so there's no need to put a prefix before the Character Name. Also, for the last few years new users have been unable to register at Invisible Castle, but you can still use most of the features without registering (when it's working, anyway).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Wow...I really screwed the TARDIS crew on this one, lol. This game keeps going, and going.

Lesson learned.

Sorry guys.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Don't feel too bad. I did provide the option of playing a temporary UNIT character, though nobody has taken up the offer. You and Yockenthwaite declined, Thorn started creating a character but never finished, and ImpInTraining hasn't posted on this board in a long time. The offer still stands. You could also take over an abandoned character if you like. I'm hopeful that this will be completed by the end of May, though there will be a delay while I get the next scenario ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Hey i know this is out of topic mr handy but your a big boss so maybe you can help me out. on my user control panel im trying to do things like put in my birthday or location or add a picture, but whenever i click submit it takes me to a white page and doesnt ever save what i did. the page is completely blank, ill post the url it takes me to maybe that can help figure out whats going on. not a huge deal but i would like to at least have an avatar pic. ps ive tried to do it on different browsers but it still does it no matter what :/
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=profile_info <--- this is where it takes me when i hit submit or save or whatever, its just a white screen and it doesnt save my changes to my account

Also, do you have any other games i can play with you? or when this one is over, do you plan on running another game i can join? and how am i doing so far?
TheVaultTech
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by TheVaultTech »

Damn that Rover. Knew I should've used the LAW....
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Even if you'd hit, the LAW might not have been enough. All that C4 probably would have done it, but things didn't go as planned.
johnson41996 wrote:Hey i know this is out of topic mr handy but your a big boss so maybe you can help me out. on my user control panel im trying to do things like put in my birthday or location or add a picture, but whenever i click submit it takes me to a white page and doesnt ever save what i did. the page is completely blank, ill post the url it takes me to maybe that can help figure out whats going on. not a huge deal but i would like to at least have an avatar pic. ps ive tried to do it on different browsers but it still does it no matter what :/
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=profile_info <--- this is where it takes me when i hit submit or save or whatever, its just a white screen and it doesnt save my changes to my account

Also, do you have any other games i can play with you? or when this one is over, do you plan on running another game i can join? and how am i doing so far?
I'm getting an error too when I try to submit mine. I don't know what's causing it. It's similar to the error I get when I try to log off. You might want to let carnage_lee know. He knows more about this board (and how to fix it when things go wrong) than I do.

You're doing well so far. I am planning to start a new game in this campaign after this one concludes. It's called The Brotherhood of Death, and it's a Cthulhu Invictus scenario set in Rome in 44 B.C. I hope to start running it in late June. For that one, you'd need to create a new character local to that setting.

There are also two other games I've been running, and you'd be welcome to play in either or both. Zombie Apocalypse is a modern non-Mythos game, though it has its own similar mythology. It started in June 2006 on another board. I began as a player, but I took it over when the original Keeper no longer had time to run it. I've been running it ever since, though it has slowed down in recent years due to several longtime players leaving after Chapter 6 ended. It has stalled completely now, with no new IC posts since January. A new player could breathe some new life into it. I also ran Space Oddity for about five years. It's set in 1969 Philadelphia and is heavily inspired by Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. I had to put it in the Graveyard last year after its two remaining players vanished, and you can still find it there. I'd need someone to take over the character of Bill Johns, as he's central to the plot. There is a lot of back reading required in order to do so. Links to both of these games (as well as the first two Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu adventures) are in my signature.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

Mr. Handy wrote:Don't feel too bad. I did provide the option of playing a temporary UNIT character, though nobody has taken up the offer. You and Yockenthwaite declined, Thorn started creating a character but never finished, and ImpInTraining hasn't posted on this board in a long time. The offer still stands. You could also take over an abandoned character if you like. I'm hopeful that this will be completed by the end of May, though there will be a delay while I get the next scenario ready.
I declined because I'm way too seriously ill long-term and confused as a result to take on a new character. Keeping track of my existing one and playing her is enough of a challenge! :lol:

I'm looking forward to returning to the game when the new scenario starts. Meanwhile best wishes to all those still playing in the game.
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

Awesome ill check those campaigns out right now the zombie one sounds pretty fun and ill start reading up on the other one
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! Just remember that if you intend to play, you shouldn't read any IC threads that don't involve a character you intend to take over (though the first two chapters of Zombie Apocalypse, which are on another site, may freely be read by all). Zombie Apocalypse allows you to play multiple characters as well if you wish. In fact, it's recommended that you do so, as this game is highly lethal. If you only want to play one, or to start with one, however, that's fine. You can take over abandoned characters or NPCs there, though you'll probably only want ones that were added in Chapter 7 to avoid having to do too much catching up to play them. You may also create one or two characters of your own in the Omaha or Gold settings, as there are ample survivors in both locations. To play a character in the Sword section, you must choose a pregenerated character.
yockenthwaite wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Don't feel too bad. I did provide the option of playing a temporary UNIT character, though nobody has taken up the offer. You and Yockenthwaite declined, Thorn started creating a character but never finished, and ImpInTraining hasn't posted on this board in a long time. The offer still stands. You could also take over an abandoned character if you like. I'm hopeful that this will be completed by the end of May, though there will be a delay while I get the next scenario ready.
I declined because I'm way too seriously ill long-term and confused as a result to take on a new character. Keeping track of my existing one and playing her is enough of a challenge! :lol:

I'm looking forward to returning to the game when the new scenario starts. Meanwhile best wishes to all those still playing in the game.
Thank you! I'll try not to keep you waiting too much longer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

do you have a link for the 2 chapters of the zombie apocalypse i can read? i dont want to screw up and read the wrong thing. ill just make a char from scratch, it will be my first time ever doing that, so im pretty excited lol. im not sure what setting to do though...

also i tried to pm carnage about the user control panel issue but it keeps giving me this when i try to send him a pm

The requested users to be added do not exist.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

I'm looking forward to the Invictus game too. I can hardly wait.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

yeah that sounds pretty fun
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by carnage_lee »

johnson41996 wrote:Hey i know this is out of topic mr handy but your a big boss so maybe you can help me out. on my user control panel im trying to do things like put in my birthday or location or add a picture, but whenever i click submit it takes me to a white page and doesnt ever save what i did. the page is completely blank, ill post the url it takes me to maybe that can help figure out whats going on. not a huge deal but i would like to at least have an avatar pic. ps ive tried to do it on different browsers but it still does it no matter what :/

I saw this and had a quick look.... there was a version update to install, which I did this morning but that didn't fix and ucp issues :/ After some digging it appeared that 'deleting all the data' in the 'banlist' table might alleviate the problem - of course this didn't work either (and now spammers blocked can re-register.... :x ). Then after some more head-scratching I removed the 'link' between PHPBB and Wordpress; that seems to have done the trick (actually I disabled account integration (as the wordpress plans never took off for this site)).

This also fixed the 'logout' bug.

Sorry that my tinkering caused this problems in the first place.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thank you for fixing it!

I won't have time to update tonight, but I have updates for all threads coming, including merging three of them. I should be able to get it done tomorrow night after returning from London.
johnson41996 wrote:do you have a link for the 2 chapters of the zombie apocalypse i can read? i dont want to screw up and read the wrong thing. ill just make a char from scratch, it will be my first time ever doing that, so im pretty excited lol. im not sure what setting to do though...

also i tried to pm carnage about the user control panel issue but it keeps giving me this when i try to send him a pm

The requested users to be added do not exist.
The links to the first two chapters are in "The Story So Far..." in Zombie Apocalypse. Be warned, it's a lot of reading!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
johnson41996
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnson41996 »

What happened, the game didn't get canceled did it?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Mr Handy is in London and has shitty internet. On top of that, he's been sick for a few days. ;)

There's a thread in the general section with absence announcements where you can post stuff like that.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."

Return to “The Shadow Over Dunwich”