The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

1985, Dunwich, England: Will the Time Lord, his companions, and a team from UNIT uncover the secrets that this decaying town harbors, or will they fall prey to its horrific perils?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the third of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time and The Ninth Planet.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Post by yockenthwaite »

I'm amazed Elizabeth is still alive after her gunshot between the eyes in the first game. So if she lives fine, otherwise I won't be surprised!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

ImpInTraining wrote:Yeah... we'll go with that, although I've never been able to smell anything through my mouth before. Air has to pass through your nasal passage in order to carry the odor particles to your smell recepticles. Maybe she's deformed.
Really, I just hadn't thought of it when I wrote it and I was trying to find a plausible explanation after the fact, but it might be better if I just edit it.
ImpInTraining wrote:I figure Lucius is on borrowed time. He's running out of Sanity... so he will either die, or go insane probably before this chapter is up. So I ain't a feared a' no Keeper. ;)
Lucius isn't that low on Sanity. Some characters start with less than 32. When you're below 20, then you can worry. Still, his attitude is very Roman.
yockenthwaite wrote:I'm amazed Elizabeth is still alive after her gunshot between the eyes in the first game. So if she lives fine, otherwise I won't be surprised!
I'm amazed there haven't been more character deaths, but I'm pleased as well that almost everyone has made it so far. Even Edward Barrett didn't stay dead when the Mi-Go killed him, but what happened to him was far, far worse. Of course, this adventure is likely to be dangerous.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jimacol
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jimacol »

Hi everyone, I've just joined Play@ysdc and mr handy has kindly invited me to this game - looks interesting. I'm new to PbP and haven't roleplayed in over 15 years, so be gentle!
I assume I start by generating a character. Where can I get a blank character sheet? Also, any UNIT occupations which would complement the current group - I'm up for playing pretty much anyone for my first time, even a soldier grunt/cannon fodder!
Jim
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard, Jim! Yes, character creation is the next step. The Character Creation/Rules thread has full instructions, including a link to the Quick Start rules in PDF form. However, you should use the rules for character creation in the thread itself, not those in the Quick Start rules (those rules give you less skill points than they're supposed to in the actual rules, and they impose a maximum starting skill level that is also not in the main rules and that I'm not applying). Near the end of the Quick Start rules is a blank character sheet. You can also see examples of completed character sheets in the Cast of Characters thread.

The Your Career in U.N.I.T. thread details several occupational choices and the occupational skills associated with each one (in the spoiler buttons). You're free to select whichever one you want or come up with your own. We already have a few technician/engineer-types, a pilot, and a medical officer. We don't have any straight-up soldiers, and a little extra muscle on the team wouldn't hurt. If you want a leadership position, you could create a military officer, though they're less skilled at combat and you might not want the added responsibility on your first outing. A scientist or researcher could work, and a covert operative might be useful too. Really, it's up to you what sort of character you want to play. You can build your character in the Character Creation/Rules thread, and you can also ask me any questions in that thread. I'll help you through the process.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jimacol
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jimacol »

Hi Mr Handy,
When are you planning on starting the game? I'm conscious I've not yet posted my character, so don't want to hold things up. I've actually created two characters, just as an exercise to get used to the process. I'll probably go with the Covert Ops I've created - just need to assign his skills.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The earliest we'd be starting is Monday, and that's only if you and one other player finish character creation by then. There's also one other possible new player, though I haven't heard back from her yet. In addition, I'm not yet finished preparing for the game, but I should soon have enough done that I could start, finishing up the design while the game is running. However, there's a decent chance that the game won't start until late next week or possibly next weekend. Take as long as you need for character creation, as I could always use more time to prepare anyway.

I will be away from November 2-4 at a convention in New Jersey, and then I'm leaving for London on the evening of November 8 and returning late on November 18. However, I'll have more time off in the rest of the November and should be able to keep things moving then.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by markh »

I should have my char finished for Sunday evening - I've been away from a pc with a keyboard for a few days.
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by SSior.27 »

That's alright, Handy. I'll be out of town for most of the second half of October on honeymoon, but should have many chances to check in. The forums are bookmarked on my smartphone, hahaha. (Yes, roleplaying on my own honeymoon... you think that's a commentary about me? :lol: )
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Congratulations! I hope your new spouse understands - and better still, enjoys roleplaying too. If there's ever a Mrs. Handy, I'd hope she'd also be into gaming.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SSior.27 »

She understands, though doesn't roleplay. Too shy. Over the years, I'm hoping that'll change.
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

I'll be out of town the following weekends: (and I'll pretty much not have net time)

October 12 - 14
November 2 - 4
November 8 - 12
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be away for those last two weekends myself. I'm hoping to get started this coming weekend, when you'll be away, but your part will start out in the TARDIS before it arrives, and it'll be okay if you can't post until Monday.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

Looking forward to it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I managed to get the IC threads up and running early. Remember that you may only read the IC threads in which your character is present, so make sure you don't read the one that isn't meant for you. Right now there won't be much to do except introduce yourselves and interact, but I plan to start things moving over the weekend (or sooner if everyone in a particular thread has posted).

If new players decide to join, I can still arrange for them to be added in for now, but once the adventure really gets underway it would be more difficult.

Have fun! :D
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Advance warning: I'm going to be away from early Friday until Sunday afternoon UK time. Going to a school reunion :) Really not sure what the mobile/3G network will be like back in my home town, so I may not have Internet. If Elizabeth needs to do something urgently please NPC her. Thanks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Have fun, and no problem! I've been sick for most of the past week, so my update frequency hasn't been all that great anyway, but I'm starting to turn the corner. I'll just let Story take the lead in your thread if you're not able to post.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

The news reports say we should be prepared for a few days without power after this hurricane ravages us. So if you don't hear from me after Sunday night / Monday morning, feel free to NPC me as necessary.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

No problem. I'm in the hurricane's path too, so I may lose power as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

I don't live that far from the Virginia coast so I'm sure the storm may knock my power out...only time will tell.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Good luck all.

Return to “The Shadow Over Dunwich”