IC-Ep 4-Last Dance(Everyone else)

The confrontation with the Mi-Go turns violent, and the survivors must flee Pluto for their lives. But will the crew of Styx Base bring humanity's doom back to Earth with them?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-Last Dance(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

The beam struck Alison full in the chest, slamming her to the floor and leaving her twitching spasmodically.
OOC,[b]Alison[/b], please roll on the Resistance Table, pitting your remaining HP (7) against the damage from the weapon (5). This gives you a 60% chance. If you fail, it will cause your heart to fail, which means you will die without swift medical attention from [b]Edward[/b], who is the only one who can reach you in time. He will have one chance at a First Aid roll. If you succeed at the Resistance Table roll, you will still be stunned for this round and four more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

As the beamed hit slammed into Alison and knocked her to the floor she screamed. Her piercing cry was quickly cut off as she lay spasming on the floor a look of pain spread across her face, but little else.
Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3561313/]Resistance table roll to not die. 60% (1d100=94)[/url] A second major failure. Well, she had a good run. Also, I don't doubt you counted correctly, but where did Alison lose the other 5 HP? She didn't take any damage from the fog and I dont remember her getting shot during the coup.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Are you still fighting the Mi-Go?" Heinrich added.
OOC,[b]Alison[/b] didn't lose another 5 HP, only the 5 from the electric gun. However, looking at the rules for the weapon, even though the Resistance Table roll takes place after the damage is deducted from your HP by a literal reading, it makes more sense if you make the roll against your full HP before applying the damage. Pitting your full HP of 12 against the damage of 5 means you have an 85% chance, but unfortunately that 94 still fails. :cry: [b]Alison[/b] isn't dead yet, though. After [b]Edward[/b] makes his Resistance Table roll for the previous round to see if he can carry [b]Robert[/b], he will have a 30% chance to apply First Aid and save her life.
Alison Silver,Even if you die, that might not be the end for you. ;) Although, you may wish it were...
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Mr. Handy,Ahh okay. I misread it. I looked at the character sheet and saw -5 (7) and thought that I was at 7HP and I was taking the resistance roll because I was dropping to 2HP. I didn't realize you already updated everything. Alright, we'll see what happens here then. Maybe I'll luck out, but with only a 30% chance if he tries to save me, its unlikely. :D
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by dormire »

Lt. Barrett is attempting to lift Pvt. MacCrimmon when he hears the electric crackle of the alien weapon and the thump following Pvt. Silver's collapse.
Mr. Handy,Okay, will First Aid work as a skill for triaging wounded? Basically, with that bug hanging around with a killer ranged weapon, I can only choose one to drag to the airlock. What are the two wounded peoples' conditions in relation to each other? Which is more likely to live if I drag him/her?
“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,True it's unlikely for [b]Alison[/b] to survive, but it was even more unlikely that you'd be in this situation in the first place. It only happened due to lucky rolling by the Mi-Go and unlucky rolling by you. You don't need to roll anything to know what condition [b]Alison[/b] and [b]Robert[/b] are in thanks to the helpful displays on the spacesuits. [b]Alison[/b]'s heart has stopped, and she has just flatlined. She will die without swift medical treatment (a successful First AId roll). This must be done either in the current round or the following round, or it will be too late to save her. [b]Robert[/b] is unconscious, but he will live if he is left alone and can be moved safely. Before you do anything else, make that Resistance Table roll of your STR against [b]Robert[/b]'s SIZ to see if you were able to pick him up last round. The action already took effect before this happened; the roll is just to see whether or not you succeeded. If you fail, then there really isn't a choice as to who to drag, as [b]Robert[/b] won't be going anywhere. To see if you can carry [b]Alison[/b], you can make another Resistance Table roll pitting your STR of 11 against her much lower SIZ of 10, which gives you a 55% chance. This will be your action for the entire round if you choose to try it, whether you succeed or fail. Likewise, if you try First Aid, that is your action for the round. In either case, you may still roll Dodge to avoid being shot, and you might as well do so in advance just in case, so long as you do not attack. Note that if you succeed at a First Aid roll, the person you are treating will regain 1d3 HP (you can go ahead and roll this if you succeed) and will awaken enough to move under his or her own power starting in the following round. Also note that the ship's airlock is still repressurizing, and the four people who entered it are still waiting inside to board the ship. It will take several rounds before that can happen, and then several more before the airlock is depressurized so that you can board. The only other exits from the docking bay are the airlock leading back into the base and the one leading out to Pluto's surface.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

Requested Rolls,Here goes! [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3563654/]Resistance Roll for lifting [b]Pvt. MacCrimmon[/b] = 16[/url] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3563656/]Dodge Roll = 79[/url] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3563661/]First Aid for [b]Pvt. Silver[/b] = 30[/url]
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Edward had no difficulty carrying the unconscious Robert. When Alison went down, he raced to her side. There was a limit to what he could do, as she was wearing her spacesuit and removing or breaching it would surely seal her doom. The only way he could restart her heart was hands-only CPR, so he tried it, pressing on her chest repeatedly. At first nothing happened, but finally her heartbeat resumed weakly. Her eyes fluttered open.

Another blue bolt sizzled past as the Mi-Go fired again.
OOC,[b]Alison[/b] and [b]Edward[/b], you may both act now. [b]Edward[/b] can carry [b]Robert[/b] by himself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Alison's eyes open and she jerked up with a gasp. It took her only a second to realize the danger was still hovering just overhead after her short black out. Even though her heart felt like it had been hit with a sack of hammers she drew her gun and fired again at the Mi-Go.
Rolls,I'd like to take the maximum number of shots at the Mi-go, but if I remember correctly I have to wait until half my initiative to keep shooting? First shot: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3564481/]Handgun (45%) (1d100=63)[/url] Miss.
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

Lt. Barrett quickly makes sure that Pvt. Silver is cognisant saying, "Are you good to go?" Without waiting for her answer, he slings Pvt. MacCrimmon his left shoulder and begins to make his way to the Ferry's airlock. At the airlock, he dumps Edward roughly under the nearest cover and waits for the airlock to finish cycling. Activating his commlink again, he sends a terse message to Sergeant Kohl, "Kohl, Barrett. We have less than ten minutes until we have seven more incoming. Run your ass off, if you please. Airlock is cycling." He pulls his own .45 and takes aim for the fluttering Mi-Go, intent on keeping the Mi-Go's attention from Pvt. Silver.
OOC,[b]Edward[/b] wanted to get [b]MacCrimmon[/b] under cover and near to the ship's airlock so that when it opens there will be less space to cover. I will roll for my .45 when it is my turn in the initiative.
Last edited by dormire on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Whoops, I forgot that [b]Alison[/b] is still stunned as part of the weapon's effect when I posted last night. I realized it in the morning, but I didn't have a chance to get online and post until tonight. [b]Alison[/b], you are stunned for this round and the following three. This means your shot does not go off, so you save a bullet and don't make yourself a target. [b]Edward[/b], you may still act, and you will need to edit your post. You may want to change your action in light of the fact that [b]Alison[/b] cannot move under her own power yet. Also, which airlock are you trying to reach? Remember, the ship's airlock is busy and will remain so for a few minutes, so you cannot enter it. The only other airlocks are the one leading into the base and the one leading out to the surface. You could reach one this round carrying [b]Robert[/b], but you will not be able to start cycling it until next round (after the Mi-Go acts), and [b]Alison[/b] will not be able to come with you if you do. When you don't have a weapon ready, you get one shot in the second DEX cycle in the combat round, and it isn't at half your initiative. That's for the third shot for firearms that get three shots per round, and that comes at 1/2 of your DEX in the second cycle. However, the Mi-Go has higher DEX than either of you, so it goes first in every round whether your weapon is ready or not. After that, you may take all of our shots at once.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

OOC,If I'm stunned does that mean I'm incomprehensible, can't talk, or I'm fine just unable to move? If Alison can respond she tells the LT to get Robert to the ship and that she can't move.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Being stunned means you can take no action other than parry or Dodge, so you cannot speak.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Natalia and Juliette waited tensely on the bridge, watching the scanners and continuing preparations for launch. "Sir, most of the crew is aboard," Natalia reported to Persephone on the communicator. "A few of them are still out in the docking bay fighting the Mi-Go, and Sergeant Kohl is with the visitors inside the base somewhere. We have seven more Mi-Go enroute with an ETA of nine minutes, but we hope to be airborne by then."

"Thank you, Major," replied General Pryce. "Keep us informed."

Xiang, Colleen, Sofia, and George continued to wait as the airlock repressurized. It was about halfway done now. They could hear the shooting out in the docking bay, but there seemed nothing they could do about it.

Edward raced for the airlock to Charon's Ferry, drawing his .45 as he ran with Robert slung over his shoulder, but he could tell by the indicators that it was still occupied and only halfway done repressurizing to let the rest of the crew into the ship. It would be about three more minutes before he could get inside. Alison lay still where he had left her. He had just set Robert down when the Mi-Go fluttered around up above, taking aim yet again with its strange weapon and sending another deadly bolt whizzing past. It struck the floor several feet away.
Edward Barrett,"We're on our way," replied [b]Heinrich[/b]. "ETA nine minutes."
OOC,[b]Edward[/b], it is now your turn to act. You may fire one shot this round if you wish. [b]Alison[/b] is stunned for this round and two more. It will take another five rounds before the people in the airlock can enter the ship proper, and another ten rounds after that before it depressurizes again to let anyone on board.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

Lt. Barrett takes careful aim at the hovering monstrosity and fires!
Mr. Handy,Can I see any cover that I can use nearby? I know that I said I dumped [b]Pvt. MacCrimmon[/b] under the nearest cover, but wasn't really sure what is left hanging about near the ship's airlock.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What is your current situation, sir?" Heinrich asked on Edward's communicator. "Are there any hostiles still present? How long before the ship takes off?"

The high caliber bullet struck the flying creature, which reeled with the impact. It returned fire, sending the deadly beam at Edward!
OOC,[b]Edward[/b], you should now roll Dodge. If you fail, you will be hit by the beam. You will not be able to attack this round if you roll Dodge, whether you succeed or fail. I don't think the gravcart was actually taken into the airlock, so it should still be right outside the ship and could be used as cover. However, the Mi-Go's mobility makes that cover of limited use. It can save you from the blast this round if you succeed at the Dodge roll and dive behind it. [b]Alison[/b] is stunned for this round and one more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

Lt. Barrett snaps into his commlink, "Kohl, there is one hostile in the bay with some kind of energy weapon, seven more unknowns on the way and the ship is - AAARGH!"
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3569561/]Dodge Roll = 23[/url] *Sniffle*
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The blue beam winged Edward as he dived behind the gravcart, striking both it and him with a powerful blow. The cart was blown to bits. Edward's vision went black, and then all he saw was a white light seemingly at the end of a long tunnel.

Alison could only watch in shock as Edward was slain. He had given his life trying to save her and Robert. The victorious Mi-Go descended, landing on the floor of the docking bay just outside the ship's airlock. It used a few of its pincers to remove Edward's helmet. Its back was to Alison. Her extremities tingled, and she found that she was able to move again.
OOC,[b]Alison[/b], please roll Sanity for seeing [b]Edward[/b] killed. Sanity loss is 0/1d6. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, you must also roll Idea. If you succeed at that roll, you go temporarily insane. Otherwise, you may act freely this round. I've covered two rounds in the last update. For those of you in the airlock, it will open after two more rounds, including this one.
Edward Barrett,[b]Alison[/b]'s stun will not wear off in time to have a chance to save you, unfortunately. Death might not be the end for you depending on what happens, so please keep following this thread. Normally, you would not have had a chance to say anything, but I'll allow your last words to go out since you only failed the Dodge roll by 1. I'm sorry it was so painfully close there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Alison gasps as Lt. Barrett goes down and it shakes her to her core even though she had help kill a CO not more than a few minutes ago. The terror and disgust she feels doesn't seem to register though - only the fact that she can move again.

Alison grabs the fungicide spray, gets as close as possible and unleashes a torrent of poison at the Mi-Go.
Rolls,Sanity failed, followed by a loss of 5 sanity, and a failed idea roll. Temporary insanity is avoided for the time being - but Alison isnt getting any more stable. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3569621/]Dex x5 Roll (75) for Fungicide. (1d100=51)[/url] Luck roll (because I don't think the hanger has pressurized at all. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3569624/]Luck (55) roll for spray. (1d100=70)[/url] Failed. So close! I knew I should have just gone with 3 point blank handgun rounds. Unless there is a chance that I could be close enough that the spray wouldn't have time to dissipate
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alison got as close as she could without risking drawing the Mi-Go's attention and cut loose with the fire extinguisher, but the spray dissipated in the thin atmosphere and didn't reach her target. It heard the noise of the extinguisher working and took to the air, effortlessly carrying Edward's corpse with it. It was quickly out of reach of the spray once more.
OOC,[b]Alison[/b], you may act now. If you choose to fire your pistol, it is not currently ready (the extinguisher takes both hands to operate), so you only get one shot this round. Yes, the Luck rolls are needed because the docking bay is depressurized and open to what little atmosphere there is. It will be one more round before the airlock finishes cycling.
Alison Silver,You avoided temporary insanity, but you've now lost enough Sanity within the last game hour to go indefinitely insane. The insanity won't kick in until after this encounter ends. I think fear of the Mi-Go is an appropriate one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 4”