Moderator: Gomez

Gomez
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Chapter 1: New York City (IC)

Post by Gomez »

Chapter 1: New York City

Amongst my few playmates, I was very unpopular, since I would insist on playing out events in history or acting according to consistent plots.... The children I knew disliked them [and their] romping & shouting puzzled me. I hated mere play & dancing about....in my relaxations I always desired plot."

-H.P. Lovecraft, Letters.
Gomez
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 1: New York City

Post by Gomez »

The Players:

Winston Brody, Native American Ethnologist played by Pickman37

Amy Lawrence, Graduate Student played by Mr. Handy

George Rutledge, Catholic Priest played by royya

Dayton Lomax "Rhino" Williams, Athlete/Mechanic played by Job

Otis Wolfe, Military Engineer played by Slenderman
Gomez
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 1: New York City

Post by Gomez »

January 12th, 1925
12:25 PM
Columbia Universty, The Office of Professor Winston Brody

Professor Brody was having a working lunch. A half eaten cornbeef sandwich on rye and a steaming cup of coffee rested on the side of his desk. He was concentrating on the stack of papers infront of him. "Not a bad crop of students this year." he said. "Most of them have a head on their shoulders." Picking up a paper he frowned. "Well, at least one needs to get it together. If Mister Townstead does shape up I will have to flunk him." Winston Brody glanced out the large window behind him. While the sun and blue sky denoted a beautiful day, he knew better. It was bitterly cold and that wind cut like a knife.
His front door opened and Mrs. Plum, his secretary, came in. "Professor, this just came by messenger." She held out a envelope.
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 1: New York City (IC)

Post by Pickman37 »

"Thank you, Mrs. Plum. Uh..."

Winston takes the envelope but pauses for a second as his eyes fall across a small stack of books on a shelf. They were due for re-renewal at the library and he debated sending her to do the chore but then decided that it could be an opportunity for him to get out of the office later in the day.

"Thanks. That will be all for now."

As she leaves, Winston turns the envelope over in his hands. He has been working at papers for a few hours now and decides this would be a good time for a break. He opens up the envelope.
Gomez
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gomez »

Winston opens the telegram and it reads.

World Wide Telegraph Service
Hudson Terminal, 30 Church Street
New York, USA

TO: WINSTON BRODY
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY

HAVE INFORMATION CONCERNING CARLYLE EXPEDITION STOP NEED RELIABLE INVESTIGATIVE TEAM STOP ARRIVE JANUARY 15 STOP
SIGNED JACKSON ELIAS
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

Winston was surprised to receive a telegram from Jackson. He had not heard from the man for months and their last meeting was brief. He recalled that he had ran into Jackson on the campus quad but his associate was quite hurried, hinting at an upcoming expedition he was to embark on but unable to elaborate due to being tardy for an appointment. Winston returned to the remaining details of the telegram...

Hmm...Carlyle Expedition? Winston rubbed his chin in thought. He probed his memory for any recollection of this undertaking but was drawing a blank. Perhaps he was away on a dig or maybe this event was just lost to memory. He did have to go to the library today so he could look up the pertinent information.

He finished the letter and gathered up the stack of books to be re-signed out. As he donned his jacket, he struck upon another idea. One of the grad students and a daughter of a faculty member, Amy Lawrence, was friends with Jackson. He had met her one time through him before later recognizing her at one of his lectures. Perhaps he had given her more information concerning his latest project. He checked his watch, noting it was dinnertime...

Professor Lawrence may be in his office for lunch. A stop by his office would be quicker than a trip to the registrar's office to look up what class Amy may be in this afternoon to locate her. Additionally, he may recall this Carlyle Expedition.

Winston set off for the professor's office...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy Lawrence sits in her father's office, eating lunch with him. As his research assistant, she gets to spend a lot of time with Professor Steven Lawrence, which she enjoys immensely. As they eat, they discuss their current research project, looking into the mysterious collapse of the Mayan civilization. She looks up when Winston arrives. "Oh, hello, Professor Brody," she says with a smile.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

The door to Professor Lawrence's office is open when Winston arrives and he is surprised to be greeted by Amy. He did not anticipate finding her so quickly but then recalled that she had the dual role of research assistant to her father as well as a student...

"Good afternoon Ms. Lawrence." He returns the smile then acknowledges his older colleague with a nod. "Professor Lawrence."

"I hope I am not interrupting but I would like to speak to you both."

Winston puts down his books and removes the letter from his jacket pocket.

"I just received this telegram from Jackson Elias." Winston is addressing the both of them but hands the telegram first to Amy, knowing that she is friends with the man. However, he is aware that the professor would know the man as well by the lectures he had conducted at the university. "It seems he has stumbled upon some new information concerning a certain 'Carlyle Expedition.' I cannot recall this specific undertaking and wonder if either of you have any knowledge of it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A telegram from Jackson?" says Amy, her green eyes sparkling with excitement. She eagerly takes it and reads it, then hands it to her father. "This is the first I've heard of the Carlyle Expedition. Father, do you know anything about it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Gomez
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gomez »

Professor Lawerance looks over the telegram an rubs his chin. "It was quite the sensation about five years ago. A New York playboy named Roger Carlyle led a expedition to Egypt and they were murdered by tribesmen while on safari in East Africa." he says. The library should have information about it in the archives.

Gomez
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gomez »

January 12th, 1925
Central Park
New York City

Father George Rutledge trudged across the patches of snow into Central Park. The sun was shining and it would have been a wonderful day if it was not for the bitter cold. But it was his habit to eat his lunch in the park everyday weather permitting and he was not going to let the chill deter him today. He looked back at his church, St. Francis de Sales, it was a nice little church just built some 13 years ago. And it was a nice change of pace from traveling the remote corners of the world and Lord knew that he needed a break.

The small bleachers where he normally had his lunch was just ahead. a young man was hitting balls with great gusto on the diamond. Well at least he was not the only one crazy enough to face the cold.
Gomez
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gomez »

Central Park

After being cooped up in his tiny apartment for almost a week, Dayton "Rhino" Williams enjoyed stretching his muscles andbhitting a few balls. It was very cold though that did not bother him. It was exhilarating working out in the crisp air.
Otis Wolfe was suppoesd to meet him and help him work out. Though he did not sound that enthused about the idea. He has meet Otis through a mutal friend, Jackson Elias, and he was a pretty good egg. Well let's hope he shows up soon because it was hard to play catch by yourself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I was still in high school then," says Amy. "No wonder I hadn't heard about it. Thanks, Daddy. Why don't I go down to the library with Professor Brody and see what we can find out about the Carlyle Expedition? There should be plenty about it in periodicals from that time." She is eager to prove herself to Winston Brody as an able researcher, hoping it will lead to her being chosen for the team mentioned in the telegram - and her natural curiosity is stoked as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Father Rutledge walked slowly toward the man hitting balls as he dropped tiny pieces of bread to form a trail for the several sane pigeons that cackle around him in this cold day.
Cold isn't it ?
he said to the man, enjoying to start a conversation with the only man he sees around.
Last edited by royya on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

Professor Lawerance looks over the telegram an rubs his chin. "It was quite the sensation about five years ago. A New York playboy named Roger Carlyle led a expedition to Egypt and they were murdered by tribesmen while on safari in East Africa." he says. The library should have information about it in the archives.
The professor's response jogs Winston's memory a little. Coming from a well to do family, he is sure he may have crossed paths with the man but then that was a while back. As for the actual expedition, Winston vaguely recalls the event but is sure he was out of state on a lengthy archaeological dig at the time.
"I was still in high school then," says Amy. "No wonder I hadn't heard about it. Thanks, Daddy. Why don't I go down to the library with Professor Brody and see what we can find out about the Carlyle Expedition? There should be plenty about it in periodicals from that time."
Winston smiles and nods at the young lady. "Well, as long as I am not pulling you away from any important work. I would be glad to have you accompany me to the library to look up the necessary information, if your father will allow." Winston knows that Amy is a bright student and no doubt skilled in research, being employed by her father who is known to be a meticulous and thorough inquisitor. Additionally, her assistance would reduce the amount of time in finding the appropriate material...
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Father Rutledge walked slowly toward the man hitting balls as he dropped tiny pieces of bread to form a trail for the several sane pigeons that cackle around him in this cold day.
Cold isn't it ?
he said to the man, enjoying to start a conversation with the only man he sees around.
DL whacks another well-worn baseball into the sky and keeps his eyes on it's trajectory while responding with a grin, "I love this time of year! It's a bit chilly but it keeps me from overheating when I run."

He turns and sees that his onlooker is a priest, then smiles and reaches out to Father Rutledge to shake hands, "Hello Father, my name's D.L. And yours?"

"I see that you've brought a few friends along," DL nods towards the pigeons and bends over to reach into his duffle bag to withdraw another baseball. A moment later, with a thunderclap of his bat, he launches the ball far, far out into the cold air.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Job wrote: DL whacks another well-worn baseball into the sky and keeps his eyes on it's trajectory while responding with a grin, "I love this time of year! It's a bit chilly but it keeps me from overheating when I run."

He turns and sees that his onlooker is a priest, then smiles and reaches out to Father Rutledge to shake hands, "Hello Father, my name's D.L. And yours?"

"I see that you've brought a few friends along," DL nods towards the pigeons and bends over to reach into his duffle bag to withdraw another baseball. A moment later, with a thunderclap of his bat, he launches the ball far, far out into the cold air.
Father Rutledge.
The priest responds and shakes DL's hand. He then takes a look at the ball that flies away and shift his turn to the group of pigeons again.
Sorry for being a sport ignorant as my fields of interest lie elsewhere but are you playing for a certain team?
Last edited by royya on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Job »

"Ah, well, I'm sorta in between teams at the moment," DL says sheepishly. "I'm meeting with a scout for Albany Senators at the end of the month. And hopefully, eventually, who knows, maybe a tryout with the Yankees."

"Hey, how about yourself, Father? You work near here? Well, I mean, do you run a church around here? Or visit cemeteries?"
DL winks at Father Rucker.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Father George Rutledge throws the last pieces of his bread to the pigeons and a curved smile spread on his face as the pigeons gets near. At least they didn’t flew away from his slightly disfigured appearance.
You see this scars and burns on my face young man.
He replies to DL, which apparently is not intimidated by the look of the priest
I had my adventure days over fifteen years ago and I’ve seen places in the end of the world back then ... now, I’m to old, so I’m a member of this catholic church over there, running the chapel and the library. What about you son, when was the last time you had a talk with your god ?

Return to “Gomez's Masks of Nyarlathotep Game”