Norbury At Night

Investigators must deal with the difficulties of the British Home Front during 1941 on a day to day basis only to find that the entities and cultist of the Mythos are finding ways to turn these problems to their own advantage.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Norbury At Night

Post by Laraqua »

One man's luck can be another person's undoing. "Stop that," says Juliette as the woman she was caring for suddenly reaches for her again but as she takes a few steps backwards she bumps into another person who immediately grabs her and jerks her close to him. Something darts out of his mouth like a long millipede whose segmented body is ridged in sharp yet squirming spikes of a most horrific nature and it tears across her throat with a spray of blood. Julia screams, though manages to keep her wits about her, despite now being between two of those people and close to a third who seems to be drowsily roused by her scream.
Show,make a Sanity Roll 1 / 1d6.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"What the...! Oh Jesus!" John can't believe what he is seeing "Julia, Christ, get away from him, it!" John swings wildly around to see all the other bodies. He wants to help Julia but can't bring himself to go near that awful thing flaying about. Then he takes a deep breath, "I'm coming Julia, hold on!"
ooc,As John failed his sanity roll I've taken that he can't act in this round at least. But he's only lost 1 sanity point so can still function. Is that about right? I'm never very sure with sanity rolls.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Show,you take a temporary insanity with the loss of 5 points. 1 point is fair enough though losing a round is such a rational response to the whole thing that I still applaud you. 1 sanity point loss or not, it's still quite disturbing! I know I'd be at a loss for the moment.
The man burrows within her throat with yet another spurt of blood while the woman finally manages to shuffle closer and a similarly strange appendate of awful shape and hue whips forth from the depths of her throat, causing her neck to bulge disgustingly, to slash forth and bite down upon her shoulder. With a final shriek she collapses to the floor, her eyes glazing over, as the man and woman slowly kneel while the twisted monstrosities continue to feed.
Show,we'll need to wait to see how the others fare on their Listen checks. If they succeed and hear the screams, it'll take them 2 rounds to get down here so we might as well complete the 2 rounds and be ready for them.
Sanity Loss,1/1d4 to see her death.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

John reels back in horror as what's left of Julia drops to the floor under the feeding frenzy.
Rolls,Idea Roll (success - oops) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4107972/]1d100=31[/url] 2nd sanity roll (Fail - oops again) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4107973/]1d100=44[/url] Temporary sanity length - [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4107974/]1d10=7[/url]. says 4d10+10 on my table, what's that- about half an hour? John saw his wife killed in a bomb attack earlier this year (Hence low SAN of 45). Seeing a second woman killed horribly isn't going to do much for his mental state. What form do you want the insanity to take? I'll roleplay it out - should be fun for the others heading down the stairs.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Sanity Loss,If he fails the sanity roll he then takes the second lot of damage so you'll need to roll a 1d4. If you then take the maximum damage you go temporarily insane. Otherwise I'd say just your run of the mill freak out would be quite appropriate. They're not paying you any attention so even a sane mind might waste a round or two freaking out. If you go nuts, I'd recommend paranoia that anyone could be "one of them", mixed with a persistent sensation of bugs crawling across the skin, mixed with massive survivor's guilt so that you're torn between wanting to protect the others while fearing that any one of them might be compromised.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"It wasn't me, I didn't do it!" He cowers by the door watching the writhing bodies. "She, SHE! Must get away, warn the others!" He fumbles for the door handle and wrenches it open. He staggers through and then turns; he carefully and so gently closes the door. "Keep her, them safe. Not me, I didn't do it. There, there. All safe." He snickers in the passageway at the bottom of the stairs and scratches his arm, and then his chest. He shudders.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Please enter the Trapdoor Thread.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

In order to reach the doctor, Nurse Irene must move within five feet of those patients who are clustering around the bloodstain, though doubtless she takes a longer path to get there to keep the gap as wide as possible for as long as possible. At a distance of five feet from the patients and seven feet from the doctor, she is positioned at a good angle to see the red button that he pushed. If they're lucky, pushing it against should unlock the door.

"Try one more funny thing and the first bullet goes through your head," says Hewitt.

The doctor scowls, "You wouldn't be the first to try. I've been in the Great War. I've seen things you wouldn't believe. I gave my leg against the Hun." The doctor doesn't appear old enough to have served in the Great War ... not unless he joined in the last year while underage.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please, Dr. Houston," says Irene, spreading her hands to show she's not a threat. "Just be reasonable and open the door. There's no reason to keep it closed, and I don't want anyone else to die." However, she doesn't seem to be convincing enough.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

You better listen to her doctor
Doug says, clearly he is about to burst. The man sweats alot and tighten the grip on the butcher's knife. His wrist begin to practice some of the wide arm movement of swing and strike as he focus his look on the doctor.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"I suppose we'd better get on with it," says the doctor, and then everything happens at once. He tosses to the floor before them a glass vial that erupts, releasing a smell like urine and rat nests as he leaps with surprising quickness behind a couple of woman 'patients'. The 'patients' heads all jerk upright, limbs twitching, eyes rolling in their skulls with sudden motion as though they were all woken up at once by the disturbing smell. One by one, their eye twitches begin to settle on the interlopers.

Hewitt lets off a shot that manages to hit the man despite his cover though the bullet barely grazes him.

OOC: Can everyone else please post their actions and then I will resolve it in Initiative order?

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Irene desperately lunges for the red button she spotted to press it and open the door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Knife (1d100=96) - Fail

I think he controls their mind somehow
Doug says and waits for the first one to approach him before he decide to strike with the butcher's knife. But the smell is overwhelming and Doug is distracted by it.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

One lurches at Irene and misses, flailing horribly with her arms as her jaw distends to reveal the tip of something horrid and organic. A second one hits her and bruises her arm. The third one also manages to grab her arm and wrenches on it. Still she manages to get through to push the red button. A few of the others start to distend their jaws, shuffling forward toward Doug.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Do I get to make Dodge rolls to try to avoid being hit? Also, are the ones that hit me still holding onto my arm?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

OOC,sorry I should have given you the choice. You may either dodge as normal and then make a Dex x 6 roll to tap that button in one turn. If you fail, they will get another shot to hit you as you need to spend longer to grab at it. Nervous hands have trouble with fine motor stuff and it is a little red button that you have to hit by memory since it's under the table and out of sight unless you duck. OR you can dart past them, take that 2 damage, and hit the button automatically and then take a couple steps to one side. You would then be out of their reach and they may choose to go after you or Hewitt's loud gun, depending on if you make a Luck Roll + 20%. And no, your arm was grabbed, jerking it, but they didn't maintain their grip. It was basically just my fancy way of describing a normal attack, not a grapple.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It is everything Irene can do to keep from screaming in terror, knowing what these people had done to Julia, but she remembers her suspicion that sound attracts them and keeps quiet. Luckily, their attention is diverted by the loud gunshot and she tries to slip away towards the door that she has just unlocked.
OOC,I'll make sure I push the button and take the hits, then. My DEX is low, and with my pathetic Dodge I'd probably fail anyway and still be more likely than not to miss the button.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The door clicks, likely unlocked, but now there are three of them in between Irene and Doug who is nearest the door. As she whirls around to face the door, taking a couple hasty steps away from the patients, she sees Hewitt fire again now that she is out of the path of the bullet. His shot is about as true as it gets and burrows right between the eyes of the doctor, dropping him dead.
Show,second round everyone. There is plenty of space for [b]Irene[/b] to rush around in a semi-circle behind [b]Hewitt[/b] and head to the door which she could reach this turn. [b]Doug[/b] will need to fend off at least one attack before he sprints off. [b]Hewitt[/b] gets two more shots - one at the start and one at his Initiative placement. Let me know what you do.

royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Doug tries to nail the knife into one of the patients as he sprints to the door.
The knife sinks into the person's back and along his spine.

Knife (1d100=38) - Success. Not sure how much damage the big knife do, it's larger then my switchblade.

EDIT - Knife damage + damage bonus (1d6+1d6=9) - 9 damage.
Last edited by royya on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Irene gives the mob a wide berth as she circles around them to reach the door safely.
OOC,I believe a butcher's knife does 1d6 damage (plus damage bonus) in the weapons table in the rulebook.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Home Front Mythos”