Chit-Chat

Investigators must deal with the difficulties of the British Home Front during 1941 on a day to day basis only to find that the entities and cultist of the Mythos are finding ways to turn these problems to their own advantage.

Moderator: Laraqua

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Chit-Chat

Post by royya »

I will be away from 2.11 - 8.11.

Roy
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

So hands up if you thought you'd be dealing with a ghoul adventure.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I had thought that at first.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by dormire »

Same. When I saw the webs, I thought "Ach, not Atlach-Nacha!" On a side note, many years ago I ran a short set of adventures with Atlach-Nacha as the main baddie. My friend, Kelly played in that one, but he had to keep his son by his side through a couple of him. At the time, Kelly's son hadn't mastered the art of English pronunciation, so every time someone uttered "Atlach-Nacha" he would echo "Outta Nachos!" I kept envisioning Atlach-Nacha covered in nacho cheese; it became very difficult to keep the correct mood.
“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

See where the bombs dropped

Post by carnage_lee »

A site called 'Bomb Sight' was recently launched.

The Bomb Sight project is mapping the London WW2 bomb census between 7/10/1940 and 06/06/1941. Previously available only by viewing in the Reading Room at The National Archives, Bomb Sight is making the maps available to citizen researchers, academics and students. They will be able to explore where the bombs fell and to discover memories and photographs from the period.

http://www.bombsight.org/#15/51.4170/-0.1222 <-- centred on Norbury.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That is great! I think I saw a link to this site on Real Time WWII. I see that there's also an option to see the first day of the Blitz. That will be very useful for my own planned Home Front game, which starts on the evening of September 7, 1940. There's nothing on the site showing where the bombs fell between then and October 7, so I'll just have to make educated guesses for subsequent days.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

That's right; there's only data for the first night of the blitz and then data for the whole period of the blitz - not day by day (or night by night) - which I guess would be a huge undertaking. It's was very interesting to zoom into places I know and have worked to see what went on. There was quite a few bombs dropped out as far as where I live but as it's close to Biggin Hill that's not that unexpected.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I was referring to the month-long gap between September 7 and October 7, for which there are no data at all displayed, but it is difficult to precisely pinpoint anything that doesn't fall on the first day or the week of October 7-13. I've visited London a few times (most recently in November) and can see where bombs fell around places I've been. I was at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in 2008, where there was a bomb casing displayed in the lobby from a bomb that dropped on October 15, 1940, but I can't find that one on the map. It must never have exploded, or the casing wouldn't remain, so I guess UXBs aren't displayed on the map.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Just checked out where I used to live in North London as there apparently was a bomb on our street; several doorways had slipped architraving in the house. And there were two! One just opposite, amazing the house is still standing. It's a shame the dates aren't more specific but I guess they had enough to do at the time.
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

Is Laraqua on holiday?
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Last week I bought a DVD collection of Dad's Army episodes on sale, and I've started watching it in the last few days. It's about an incompetent Home Guard unit in 1940 on the coast of England, and it's hilarious! I can just imagine these guys trying to take on the forces of the Mythos...

"Permission to scream, sir?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

Oh Dad's Army is brilliant. It's been a staple of British TV ever since it was first made, and has been on repeats ever since. It's still shown on BBC2, on Saturday nights I think. So I grew up with it, and still see it sometimes today.

My favourite character is Private Frazer, who's always saying "We're doomed!".
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Private Frazer should be a call of cthulhu character.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeah, Frazer is great! "We're doomed!" would certainly fit right in. My hands are too full to run a Dad's Army vs. the Mythos scenario, but if anyone ever does, "I volunteer to be Lance Corporal Jones, sir!"

I know I've heard the theme song before, so it was probably on PBS or something when I was little, though I can't remember the actual show from before. The collection I have contains 18 episodes, and I've seen about half of them so far. I know there are 80 episodes across 9 seasons, plus a few Christmas specials, but the 18 I have are the only ones available on Region 1 DVDs. Region 2 has all of them, except for the three missing episodes that fell victim to the BBC's infamous wiping policy.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Wierd, I was getting 404 Error page when I tried to upload the website for the past week.
Now everything is fine. resuming posting.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Hi Royya,
Sorry about the 404 errors... I moved the board installation to a sub directory... didn't consider that bookmarked links wouldn't get processed properly. I've added some url re-write rules that should take care of that.... but it'd be a good idea to udate any bookmarks you have for the site. more details are here
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I'll be away from Friday till Monday on a vacation.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Ping
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

I sent our keeper a PM the other day to ask what was happening. They haven't seemingly logged in since April 2nd. I'm really hoping this isn't another Play@YSDC game I play in that fails because we lose the keeper :(
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

Thanks, Yock. Been wondering, myself.
― H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “Home Front Mythos”