Norbury At Night

Investigators must deal with the difficulties of the British Home Front during 1941 on a day to day basis only to find that the entities and cultist of the Mythos are finding ways to turn these problems to their own advantage.

Moderator: Laraqua

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Norbury At Night

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know it sounds awful," says Irene, "but the best way to jam those portcullises open might be to nip back and get some of those bones we passed earlier."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by royya »

gross...
Doug remarks from the back.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by yockenthwaite »

Florence gulps. "Yes, it is gross, but I think you're right, and we need to consider doing that. Otherwise those things," and she looks up at the ceiling, "could come down on us at any time. And that would be much worse than propping things up with bones."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

"If one of us ran across and made it to the door, then we could presumably find the raising mechanism and pull it back up again if need be," said Hewitt. "I don't fancy trying to jam pieces of some man's body up there. That level of desecration is beyond even me. Of course, that door may probably be locked. Anyone handy with a pick?"

"Isn't there some other way?" asks Julia nervously. "I don't like either of those options."
Show,I'm not nudging you along particular actions. Just playing out the NPCs.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

John has a look in his tool bag, "I've got a hammer; it's not very long but probably stronger than old bones, I could wedge it in or maybe fix the mechanism so it stays put." He takes a critical look at the portculli.
Mech/heavy machinery,success for either: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3775158/]1d100=17[/url]
jimacol
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jimacol »

"I also certainly oppose using human remains in such a way!" Rupert adds to Hewitt's comments. "And I'm afraid I'll be little help with those contraptions. Besides which I'm an awful butterfingers and not as sprightly as you young folk." he adds.
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years

Post by dormire »

William speaks up, "I may have something that would work but," he hesitates. Feeling, uncomfortably, the expectant gazes of everyone upon him, he continues, "I'd hate to lose it. It has personal significance." Upon saying this, he leans against a wall and raises his trouser leg to reveal his prosthetic tightly strapped to his thigh. He reaches down and pushes a small brass stud, popping a small hidden panel out of the side. After a moment's fumbling, he produces a large combat knife, serrated down one edge. A gleaming death's head sits atop the pommel.
“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by royya »

What about searching the place for a secret lever or a moving brick ... you know like lords placed hidden passageways and secret doors in their castles back in the Medieval days?
Doug suggest and begin to search the wall around for a secret lever or a pushable brick
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Well, they're already up," said Hewitt. "Presumably if we find the lever we'd just bring them down." He frowns thoughtfully. "And then it wouldn't be a very good defensive measure. The lever is likely inside. Here, let me give you a boost, John."

John gets a boost up from the American and manages to wedge his hammer pretty securely. He can't deal with the mechanisms as they'd all be at the top of the gate - which would be in the room upstairs.

"This is so medieval," murmurs Julia. "Do you think its been here since medieval times?"

John can see that the edges are pretty well-cared for and not rusted at all. It's probably been installed in the past decade at most and has certainly been well-cared for.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Thank you Mr. Hewitt." John lands back on the floor. He looks puzzled. "If I didn't know any better I'd say those gates are brand new, no more than ten years old tops." He shrugs, "Maybe the air down here has a preserving quality but I'm sure there's fresh oil up there." He's a bit sorry to lose his hammer; good tools are hard to come by these days. "A bit like lipstick and nylons." He thinks aloud.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Irene looks puzzled at John's final statement. "Well, I'm glad we didn't use the bones after all," she says. "I don't know if it's a good idea to use the knife, though. That's likely to be useful down here, especially if it comes to a fight. It might also be able to cut through those sticky strands. I had a tool kit as well, but it's in the ambulance. But there's got to be something else we can use on the other one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

William nods, secretly grateful for Irene's suggestion. "I suppose you're right, Miss. Perhaps there're other items about, back the way we came. Regardless, this first one's wedged up nice and tight so, were the second to fall due to some hidden trigger or watchful agent on t'other side of the door, the pair have lost the ability to trap us." He quickly tucks the dagger back into his prosthetic and smooths his trouser leg.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We could still be trapped if we're already through the door when it falls," says Irene, "though it's far more likely that they're set to fall when we're between them. If so, it would keep us from going forward." She examines the ground between the two portcullises, looking for anything like a pressure plate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The floor seems to be made of brick.

"I think you read too many tenpenny dreadfuls," said the American wryly.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They used to be called penny dreadfuls," says Irene. "Has inflation gotten that bad? Anyhow, everything that's happened so far seems straight out of one. I don't see why this should be any different. I don't see any pressure plates, but I suppose it's possible that stepping on the wrong brick will trigger a trap."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

William shrugs, suddenly anxious to be moving. "Well, we won't get anywhere dithering about in front of a possible trap. Let's see what this gets us." He boldly places a cane under the stopped gate, leans forward and hobbles into the questionable area.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The bricks are sturdy and the portcullis remains in place.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I'll bring up the rear. That way, if the gates come down, I may still be outside and be able to find a way to rescue you." They see the first, if very small, smile ever on John's mouth.
dormire
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dormire »

After breathing a silent sigh of relief, William turns back to the group. "Well, that is slightly better luck than we've been having. Let's see about this door." He tries to open the door.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Irene makes her way to the door, ready to help if needed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Home Front Mythos”