Innsmouth Horror (ic)

The sleepy seaside town of Innsmouth harbors a dark secret. The diabolical Deep Ones have infiltrated and taken over, led by the Marsh family. With the aid of Mother Hydra, they plan to bring forth Quachil Uttaus, which will spell doom for us all unless a small band of unlikely heroes can uncover and thwart their schemes.

Moderator: Tabs

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Re: Innsmouth Horror (ic)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Turn 10 Arkham Encounter
Science Building.
ooc,Ursula trades her gate trophy for 2 clue tokens at the science building... No Encounter .

Turn 10 Arkham Encounter
Miskatonic U.
ooc,Roland has no encounter
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 10 Arkham Encounter, Train Station: "On the loading dock you investigate a large crate with strange markings. Make a..." Sneak (-1) check (1d6=1); Mandy's "Research" ability, Sneak check (1d6=6), success! "...If you pass, you find a very unusual item in the crate. Gain 1 Unique Item [Elder Sign]. If you fail, Deputy Dingby catches you breaking it open...."

Mandy twists off the fawcett and replaces the tablet of soap; she wrings the fabric and hides her damp unmentionables in her shoulder bag. Exiting the "Ladies" washroom, she steps on to the platform as a steam locomotive is departing, and waits for the smoke to dissipate before searching for the bus terminal that will take her to Innsmouth.

When the atmosphere clears Mandy realises she is leaning against a crate with the Eye of Horus painted on to it.... A policeman and a conductor stroll past, they both seem very excited by something; she overhears a snippet of conversation.

"...the look on Mintz's face when he realised he'd made a mistake!"

"Oh, Dingby, you get the plum jobs...."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10 Mythos
Horror at Groundbreaking!
Historical Society, gate: The City of the Great Race.
Doom token added to the doom track (9 of 12).
Monsters: Servitor of the Outer Gods and Priest of Dagon.
Movement: Priest of Dagon -> Southside, Star Spawn -> French Hill, Deep One x2, Maniac and Cultist -> Church Green and Maniac -> Innsmouth Shore.
Clue Appears At: Silver Twilight Lodge.
Headline: An ancient stone is disturbed by the construction, releasing 2 monsters into the Miskatonic U. streets. [Mi-Go and Lloigor]

Patrice gains 1 +5 Clue tokens from her "Ominous Dreams" ability.
Richard Upton Pickman is strangled.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Upkeep
Independence Square
OOC,[b]Hank[/b] spends 2 Clue tokens from [b]Patrice[/b] to avoid drawing a Dust card. No changes.
"What do we do now, Pa?" asks Hank.

"I think it's time we get to the source of all this trouble," says Pa. "Those punks that grabbed me back when this all started wanted to ship me to Innsmouth. That's where we have to go to get to the bottom of all this."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 11, Upkeep, Miskatonic U. No changes to skill sliders; Roland gains $1 from his "Expense Account" ability. Roland will combat the Lloigor, if he casts Wither he fights with 6d6.

Image Turn 11, Upkeep, Science Buiding. Speed >4 Sneak <1.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 11, Upkeep, Train Station. Speed >3 Sneak <3.

Image Turn 11, Upkeep, Arkham Asylum. No changes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Movement
Independence Square->Church Green
OOC,Don't forget to mark off the 2 Clues I spent from [b]Patrice[/b] to avoid drawing a Dust card and to indicate the Elder Sign and .18 Derringer on [b]Mandy[/b]'s sheet, and to remove the Map of Arkham. [b]Mandy[/b] can have the Powder of Ibn-Ghazi and the Healing Stone if she wants. I ended up not needing them, and she may where she's going. [b]Hank[/b] spends 5 movement points moving through the Train Station (spending $1 to go to Innsmouth) to Church Green. While in the Train Station, he gives his .18 Derringer to [b]Mandy[/b] and accepts $3 and the Map of Arkham from her in return, which he exhausts to gain the fifth movement point he needs. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3096030/]Combat check (Fight 5 + 4 [Shotgun] + 1 [Maniac] = 10 dice) fighting the Maniac, Round 1 (10d6.hits(5)=4)[/url]. [b]Hank[/b] defeats the Maniac and claims it as a trophy. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3096032/]Combat check (Fight 5 + 4 [Shotgun] + 1 [Cultist] = 10 dice) fighting the Cultist, Round 1 (10d6.hits(5)=3)[/url]. [b]Hank[/b] defeats the Cultist and claims it as a trophy. [b]Hank[/b] does not need to make an initial Horror check for the first Deep One. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3096036/]Combat check (Fight 5 + 4 [Shotgun] 1 1 [Deep One] = 8 dice) fighting the first Deep One, Round 1, 6 counts as 2 hits (8d6.hits(5)=3)[/url]. [b]Hank[/b] does not need to make an initial Horror check for the second Deep One. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3096039/]Combat check (Fight 5 + 4 [Shotgun] 1 1 [Deep One] = 8 dice) fighting the second Deep One, Round 1, 6 counts as 2 hits (8d6.hits(5)=3)[/url]. [b]Hank[/b] does not need to make an initial Horror check for the Ghost. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3096043/]Combat check (Fight 5 - 3 [Ghost] = 2 dice) fighting the Ghost (2d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. [b]Hank[/b] defeats the Ghost and claims it as a trophy. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3096044/]Evade check (Sneak 3 + 0 [Church Green] = 3 dice) to avoid being arrested (3d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. [b]Hank[/b] is not arrested. Phew! :D
Hank and his father walk to the Train Station in Northside. Near the railroad platform is an old, decrepit bus that is parked, waiting to take on passengers. The driver is equally decrepit, with scaly skin and a horrible fishy smell that reminds Hank of the guys that had been trying to kill him. The passengers have similar appearances and odors.

"That's Joe Sargent's bus," says Pa. "It goes back and forth to Innsmouth every day. Since the railroad doesn't go there, we can't take the train. It has to be the bus." He and his son board the bus and sit down. As they wait for it to get underway, a lovely young lady with auburn hair also gets on the bus and sits across the aisle from Hank and his father.

"Hi," says Hank, grinning like an imbecile. "My name is Hank Samson. This is Pa. He's my Pa. Gosh, you're pretty." He fumbles through his belongings, looking for something that would make a suitable gift for her, and he comes across the derringer he had found in that strange, dark place. Girls like guns, right? he thinks. Of course they do! Everyone likes guns. "I've got something for you." He offers it to her.

"Good thinking, son," says Pa, nodding sagely. "Innsmouth is a very dangerous place, especially for a young woman by herself."

Mandy introduces herself and accepts the small pistol, but she doesn't feel right about taking it without giving back anything in return, so she gives him a map and a few dollars in exchange. They talk during the long, bumpy ride to Innsmouth. Finally, the bus reaches its destination and everyone disembarks. "See you around, Mandy!" calls Hank. He unfolds his new map and, with his father's help, begins navigating through the Innsmouth streets. The buildings here are in terrible shape, with some of them even falling apart. Most of the people here look and smell like the bus driver and most of the passengers. They watch him and his father carefully. The few normal people try to stay out of sight.

"Pa, I'm in love with Mandy," says Hank, still thinking about her. "She's so nice and pretty and smart. One day I'm gonna marry her."

"No, son," corrects Pa. "I'm going to marry her."

Hank scratches his head. "Don't be silly, Pa! You can't marry Mandy. What would Ma say?"

Pa rolls his eyes and sighs. "You're right, son. Looks like you're going to marry her after all."

Before long Hank and his father reach a large green square overrun with weeds in front of a huge, crumbling church. But instead of Christian symbols, this one has all sorts of weird carvings covering its surface. There is an alley next to it where four shadowy figures lurk, keeping their eyes on the square. One of them carries an axe and has a nasty glint in his eye, one wears a black hooded robe that conceals his face, and two look incredibly ugly, covered with scales and reeking of rotten seafood. They look like fish or frogs that are somehow walking around, or rather shuffling and hopping. These really ugly guys are like that one that tried to kill us earlier, thinks Hank. The four of them are speaking to each other in hushed tones, but Hank can overhear them.

"It's that farmer from Arkham and his idiot son," whispers the man in the robe to the others.

"Ignore them," replies one of the fishmen with a burbling voice. "They are not a significant threat. The real danger is the girl. Joe Sargent just told me that she came here from Arkham on his bus, and she has the sigil. She must have stolen it from where we had stored it at the train station. Do you realize what this means? The gate that we opened to R'lyeh at the Esoteric Order of Dagon is the only link that Quachil Uttaus has to this world. If we had not created it when we had, he would have been cut off entirely and Mother Hydra's plans would have been thwarted. She has obviously come here to seal the gate and banish the Treader of the Dust. If she succeeds, all is lost. We must stop her at all costs. She must come this way, and when she does, we shall take her by surprise."

"What do we do with her when we've got her?"

The fishman gives a wide grin with far too many teeth. "Anything we want."

"I can't wait to get my claws on her," croaks the other fishman.

"I hope she screams," cackles the axe-wielding man. "I like it when they scream."

Hank gasps. "They must be talking about Mandy!" he hisses to his father. He knows that Mandy would never stand a chance against all of these ruffians together, not even with the derringer he had given her. She would easily have fallen prey to their wicked schemes. "Oh, no! Those meanies are planning to hurt her. We can't let them." He racks his shotgun. "Time to be a hero!" He steps into the mouth of the alley and lets loose with his first barrel, obliterating the man with the axe. Before anyone can react, he fires the second barrel and blows away the man in the robe.

"Not a significant threat, huh?" says the second fishman to the first. Both of them rush Hank while he hastily breaks open his shotgun and reloads. He manages to finish before they reach him and guns down first one and then the other.

Before he has a chance to relax, a semitransparent spectral figure rises from the corpse of the robed man. "Ooooooo!" it moans.

"Hey, no fair!" complains Hank. "I killed you! You're s'poseda be dead!" He bashes the spirit with his empty shotgun before it can finish coalescing, and it disperses into wisps that trail off and vanish. He shrugs and reloads again.

"That was a ghost," says Pa.

"It was? I ain't afraid of no ghost."

"I'm not afraid of any ghost."

"I didn't think you were, Pa."

"Come on, son, we'd better hide. Someone will have heard those shots, and the cops will be here soon."

Hank and his father duck into the alley. Shortly afterwards, they see Mandy walking down the street, blissfully unaware of the horrible fate that had awaited her. Hank peeks out and waves. "Hi, Mandy!" he calls.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 11, Movement, Science Building -> Historical Society. Ursula spends 4 movement points. As she passes by Roland she takes Mists of Releh to help evade the bad guys.... Evade check vs. Priest of Dagon (Clue token spend) (1d6=6), success. Spell check to cast Mists of Releh (to evade Servitor of the Outer Gods) (1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=5), success.

Image Turn 11, Movement, Train Station -> Esoteric Order of Dagon. Mandy spends 3 movement points. She trades several items with Hank.

On Joe Sargent's bus, "Hi," says Hank...-

"Hello, Pa Sampson, and you too, sonny."

Mandy reaches across the aisle and ruffles Hank's hair; it is only as she does so that Mandy realises Hank is much older than she thought; awkwardly, she puts her hand inside her jacket pocket.

"Um, excuse me."

Church Green, "Hi, Mandy," says Hank-

Mandy sketches a wave at the two farmers. She looks up at the forbidding facade of the Esoteric Order of Dagon and frowns: she really doesn't want to go inside. Mandy sniffs in a distracted kind of way.

"Is there a butcher shop nearby?"

Image Turn 11, Movement, Arkham Asylum -> Police Station. Patrice spends 3 movement points. She picks up the Clue token at the Police Station.

"I wish to press charges against the directors of Arkham Asylum, namely: false imprisonment, mistaken identity, assault, torture..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Arkham Encounter
Church Green
OOC,[b]Hank[/b] has no Encounter.
"Butcher shop?" asks Hank confused. He checks his map.

"No, son," says Pa. "I think she's referring to the smell." He sniffs the air. "Of course, it also smells like rotten fish."

"There were these really mean guys," Hank tells Mandy. "They were waiting here for you. They were going to hurt you, but I stopped them. Oh, and I have more presents for you!" He hands her the strange stone he has always carried. It means a lot to him, and he hopes that she'll appreciate it. It's very pretty, just like her. He also gives her that bag of strange powder he had found after one of his earlier battles. "Please be careful, Mandy. I'm worried about you." Hank's eyes start to water as she enters the strange, decaying church.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 11, Arkham Encounter, Police Station: "If you succeed at a Luck (-1) check, then Deputy Dingby absentmindedly...." Luck check to take .38 Revolver (1d6=2)

"Madam, slow down. Arkham Asylum, you say?"

Patrice pauses, takes a breath, and performs an impatient shuffle with her feet. She detects a faint smirk upon the police officer's face.

"You!"

Image Turn 11, Other World Encounter, City of the Great Race: "The odd plant has you in its clutches. Pass a Fight (-1) check to break free...." Fight check vs. plant (1d6=6, 1d6=1, 1d6=6).

Image Turn 11, Other World Encounter, R'lyeh: "The stink of this place is unbearable. Pass a Will (-1) check...." Will check vs. unbearable stink (1d6=5, 1d6=3, 1d6=5, 1d6=3).
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 11, Mythos: The Streets are Flooded.
Devil Reef, gate: The Abyss.
Doom token added to Quachil Uttaus' doom track (10 of 12).
Monsters: Cultist and Fire Vampire.
Movement: (Devil Reef) Cultist -> vortex [Deep One Rising token added to track (3 of 6) and Terror Level increased (1) and Tom Murphy leaves town], Fire Vampire -> Sky, Maniac -> Joe Sargent's Bus Service, Priest of Dagon -> Miskatonic U., Servitor of the Outer Gods -> Sky, Shoggoth x2 -> Uptown and Star Spawn -> Rivertown.
Environment: All street areas are also aquatic locations while this card remains in play.
Patrice gains a Clue token from her "Ominous Dreams" ability.
Professor Armitage is strangled.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Turn 12 Upkeep
Miskatonic U.
ooc,Roland is going to lower his Fight to 2 and raise his will to 4 in preparation to handle the fight with the priest of dogan.
ooc - Oops.. Roland spends 1 clue token and borrows one clue token to avoid drawing a dust card. He then gets one clue token during his upkeep phase...

Roland lights a cigarette and watches warily as a robed figure moves down the Miskatonic streets with an eerie calm.

Roland looks to his partner Malone and thumbs the knife in his pocket. Malone takes a few steps to stand in front of Roland and hen turns back..

Your knife won't help you against this one sir. He knows too much...

Roland tips his fedora and pulls out his revolver. He takes a deep breath...

Don't matter how much he knows about this Malone.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 12, Upkeep, The Abyss. Speed <2 Sneak >3.

Image Turn 12, Upkeep, R'lyeh. Lore <2 Luck >2.

Image Turn 12, Upkeep, Police Station. Speed >4 Sneak <1.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 12 Upkeep
Church Green
OOC,[b]Hank[/b] spends 2 Clue tokens from [b]Patrice[/b] to place them on the Feds Raid Arkham Track (yellow). He lowers his Speed from 4 to 2 and increases his Sneak from 2 to 4.
"I miss her already," said Hank. "Do you think she'll be okay?"

"She's a smart girl," said Pa. "And with everything you've given her, she can take care of herself." The faint sound of sirens could be heard in the distance. "Come on, we'd better get out of here before the cops show up."

"But...the cops are the good guys."

"Not here they're not. Let's slip away."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Turn 12 Movement
Miskatonic U.
ooc,Roland's horror check. – pass (1, 6) roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3110780/ Roland attacks asshole.. Pass 3 successes ROLL: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3110785/ .
Roland stares blankly at nothing in particular as the robed figure approaches. His pistol to his side he draws his cavalry saber and waits… Like a crazed ostrich, the priest attacks whirling about with sickles and industrial strength ceremonial art and crafts..

Roland holds his ground until the Priest of Drogan is just a few feet away. The private detective point his pistol and drops the priest to the sidewalk of the Miskatonic University like a day old bagel.

Roland spits and winks at the monkey.

What were you saying Malone?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 12, Movement: The Abyss (1st area) -> (2nd area).

Image Turn 12, Movement: R'lyeh (1st area) -> (2nd area).

Image Turn 12, Movement: Police Station.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 12 Movement
Church Green->Joe Sargent's Bus Service
OOC,[b]Hank[/b] spends 1 movement point moving from Church Green to Joe Sargent's Bus Service. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3112490/]Combat check (Fight 5 + 4 [Shotgun] + 1 [Maniac] = 10 dice) against Maniac, Round 1 (10d6.hits(5)=5)[/url]. [b]Hank[/b] defeats Maniac and claims it as a trophy. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3112491/]Evade check to avoid being arrested (5d6.hits(5)=2)[/url].
Hank and his father return to the bus stop where they had arrived in Innsmouth. When they got there, a crazed-looking man with an axe was waiting for them.

"Wait a minute!" said Hank. "Didn't I kill you already?"

"What?!" said the man.

"That wasn't him," said Pa.

"Sure looked like him, Pa," said Hank.

"You killed my brother!" shrieked the madman, rushing forward with the axe. Hank raised his shotgun and blew him away.

"Come on, son," said Pa. "Let's get out of here. Luckily the cops are busy back at the church."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Turn 12 Upkeep
Miskatonic U.

What about the monkey sir!

Roland bends down on one knee. The monkey crawls up his back and onto his shoulder chirping with delight..

The monkey’s mine now Malone… To hell with this town!
Last edited by DSIGFUSS on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image Turn 12, Arkham Encounter, Police Station: "Sheriff Engle eyes you suspiciosly. 'Hey, you were part of that trouble earlier.' Pay him $3 or spend the next turn delayed answering his questions." Patrice pays the $3.

Sheriff Engle pulls out the soft chair for Patrice to sit upon.

"Now then, Ms. Hathaway, my deputy tells me that you are making some serious allegations against Arkham Asylum."

"Yes, that is correct."

"Would you mind telling me about them?"

Patrice launches into a breathless recounting of her tribulations at the asylum. When she describes the outrage which she underwent in the basement Sheriff Engle shifts uncomfortably on his seat. Before the tale is told, Patrice breaks down and sobs silently as if she has surrendered to an ultimate humiliation, rather than been a victim; in between sobs she gulps huge intakes of air.

"Where were you when I needed you?..where were you?"

"Ms. Hathaway, to whom are you referring?"

Patrice does not reply, she simply stares into her palms. Sheriff Engle stands and motions to a new recruit through the plate glass of his office, the recruit is stood idly beside the water fountain; the signal clearly says, "Come here, now!" The recruit opens the office door.

"Sir?"

"I would like you to conduct Ms. Hathaway to an interview room, fetch her a cup of tea, handkerchief, whatever; and report back to me when she has collected herself."

In the interview room Patrice falls upon the recruits chest and bedews the lapel of his serge uniform. He strokes Patrice's blond waves and pats her back. She bubbles her gratitude.

"Thank you, Dorian.

"...These last two weeks have been the worst of my entire life...unbelievable things have happened...incredible.... And throughout, there has been an all-pervading drain on my, my inspiration."

Officer Dorian Minks is content to carress the lady's hair.

Return to “Episode 4 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth”