Shady business (Open for all squad members)

Berkowiz and Mullins leading the way… The rest follow

Moderator: Dave Syrinx

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Shady business (Open for all squad members)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's go!" Eric shouts to Sam as he scrambles for the nearby helicopter, still crouching. He can give him the ammo once they're both safely aboard, and then the machine gunner can fire his M60 out the door as they lift off, but if they stay on the ground they're toast for certain.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Sam Hobbes gets a move on, hauling the M60 the last bit to the grounded heli. He and Eric get on at the same time, while the four marines shoot at the charging VC from the crest, before they join up in the heli. Now, when there´s only one helicopter left grounded, they see fate smile their way.

In the careening heli, the pilot stabilizes the bird but can´t land as the VC are too close. Two of the marines signed to that heli back into one of the smaller sheds while firing at the approaching Vietnamese soldiers. The two marines who scattered to the right, now face the two VC who shot the helicopter.

Up above, the third helicopter turns to the forest north west of the square, and cover the hills in fire.

When the helicopter ascends, the view below isn´t petty.

By the shed, the VC soldiers shoot first at the scrambling marines. The left marine is hit in the eye and goes down screaming, covering his face with both hands. While doing so, he is hit in the right shoulder. The other marine return fire and hits the closest of the VC in the right upper arm, making him drop his M16.
In the havoc, both VC and the marine duck respective attack as they close in on each other. The blinded marine searches the ground for his M16 and wipes blood from his face. Finding it he shoots.
The wounded VC is aiming while sitting one one knee, after getting his dropped M16 up again.
As this stand off happens, the remaining combatants reach each other and the VC tries a kick at the marine, who uses the butt of his M16 to take the attacker down.

From the helicopter the observers see the shooters miss. The VC throws his malfunctioning weapon and charges the wounded marine. The other two combatants meet and the VC aims a kick but is brutally knocked down by the butt of an M16.
The winning marine gets the M16 trained at the defenseless VC and shoots. Pumped with adrenaline, he misses. The one-eyed marine, however, shoots him down. Using their bayonets, the two brothers in arms finish the job.

The four charging VC are stopped by the cover fire from the marines entering the helicopter. Two are shot dead, while the others drop to the ground.
This give the two marines in the shed an opportunity to shoot. Another one is killed and the last raises his hands and screams something in Vietanmese. "DAU HANG".

From the perspective of the helicopter, Eric, Sam, and Tobias see dark spots in the woods moving in on the village from all sides.
The pilot radios the other helicopters. "Mission over. Return to base. Over."

The wounded pilot of the second heli responds. "Negative. Can´t leave my men. I´m going down."

Seeing the dots come even closer, Sam tries to find a target, but has a hard time finding one in the moving helicopter. He fires anyway. More for his conscience than anything else.

The wounded pilot puts down the heli just as the first black dot enters the square. The surviving marines shoot in all directions while trying to get to the heli.
Helicopter three spews lead over the square, but it´s stopped as the entire helicopter becomes a ball of fire. Berkowiz saw no sign of any missile, it just exploded. Down on the square, Sarge shoots from the heli and is repaid by being gunned down by the approaching black army.

The lone helicopter fly high back to the base. Spirits low.

Up above the clouds, a satellite catches the action and a voice is relayed to another location.
"Ngọn đồi được bảo vệ.Chúng tôi bắt đầu."

[translated: The hill is protected. We commence.]
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eric feeds ammo to Sam, making sure he has plenty for the M60. He lets out a stream of profanity as looks around for suitable targets to snipe, preferably VC officers or noncoms. "Where'd they all come from?" he says. "I didn't think there were this many VCs left after Tet."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

As the VC soldiers mill around the helicopter on the square, bullets from Sam´s M60 is mixed with debris from the exploded helicopter. The pilot tries to get the bird up with the surviving marines clinging to anything they get a grip on to. The stress is too much for the pilot who only get a few feet off the ground before the engine dies off and the aircraft returns to ground. The marines are overrun and they lay down their weapons.

The last thing Sam and Eric see is a rectangular opening in the square, as the ground seems to shift. A square black hole as big as one of the sheds.

In the helicopter, Mullins booms, "That was close." He checks the crew of the Walking Dead. "Berkowiz, Hobbes, White. Good job down there." He leans towards the back wall of the heli.

The beating of the rotors take them closer to the base.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eric exhales at last, turning it into a low whistle. "Thanks, Sarge," he says, not even noticing that Mullins had gotten his name wrong. "What the hell just happened down there?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Pickman37 »

Berkowitz lets his head fall back against the wall as he waits to see if Whitehouse gets any sort of reasonable answer. He is tired but relieved even though his breathing is still hurried from adrenaline...

The sights he witnessed have shaken him up...

What killed that helicopter? I saw no missile yet it exploded...and why was Mullins collecting tongues? For trophies...? Tobias shuddered. As sick as it was, at least that made sense but it didn't explain why Mullins mounted that severed head on a stick and was drilling it for answers...

Tobias wondered if he really wanted to know. This was nothing like the stories he heard in boot camp before arriving here...
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Mullins rolls a cigarette and lights it. "I know we lost a squad down there and three helicopters. What did you see, son?" To the pilot he orders, "Send the coordinates and ask for a Agent Orange to hit the hill a visit. Verification Kreuter-Mullins." THe pilot radios the order. "In five, Sgt Mullins!"

Mullins draws on the cigarette and mutters. "Bloody voodoo shit is what it was. Napalm always wins that battle. Ngai or not. That was no women down there only Ngai. He pats his belt with the trophies." From his belt, four old, dry bits of meat hang. Meat with two tips as if from giant snakes.

"We lost Sarge and Beckett down there. Hobbes, were you close to Beckett?" Mullins asks as if he actually cared.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ngai? thinks Eric, looking away from the grisly trophies. Must be some Vietnamese word I never heard before. "I'm not sure what the hell I saw any more," says Eric. "First Charlie came flooding in, and then it was like the ground just opened up. I don't think anyone knew Beckett real well. He was the new guy, green as a cucumber. But Sarge...man, I didn't think anything could kill him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

The camera pans backwards, leaving the helicopter as a speck against the sky. The sound of napalm igniting over the hill fades over to the credits.
This concludes the Eyes of Doom.
I thank the parties who tried the game out, even if it was touch and go on reaching completion.

/Dave
Eric Whitehouse and Tobias Berkowiz continue in Vertical Run

D e f i n i t i o n : Vertical Run is a military rappel technique developed in the late 1960s, to safely and quickly move from a helicopter to the ground when a squad was exposed to fire.
TVblog

Return to “Going in”