IC: In Crumbling Pages [Peter Walton/Jacob Vrees]

There are things that exist outside the range of human perceptions; things known only to those terrible beings who dwell between the stars and beneath the earth. We have always passed by them without notice. They have always extended us the same courtesy. And those unfortunate few who have seen, and have been seen? We call them mad.

But they have merely awakened a higher form of sight.

It is the Spring of 1928 in Arkham. And people all over Southside are waking up, setting the stage for the rise of an ancient power.

Moderator: Kadael

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

IC: In Crumbling Pages [Peter Walton/Jacob Vrees]

Post by Kadael »

The Miskatonic University Library is a veritable vault of knowledge, home to thousands of books both new and old. And quite a few of them are not in the right places.

Occasionally, a wandering jokester comes in and reshelves the books in some outrageous way. Sometimes it's a well-intentioned student who has no experience with the shelving system. In any case, it's not conducive to an environment of good research. Or an environment of getting paid.

A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christiandom does not belong next to A Tale of Two Cities, but someone has put it there. It is, of course, Peter's job to rectify this situation.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: IC: In Crumbling Pages [Peter Walton]

Post by royya »

Peter sigh and smiles as he takes out the misplaced books from the shelves. He skims their introduction, if any exist, as he always did. This gives him a short break to study the books that he so love. After several moments he places the books in his wooden cart and continue the "misplaced books tour".
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

A Tale of Two Cities should certainly be placed next to the rest of the Dickens, and--

"Hey! Help! Somebody help, there's a man out there - he needs... his eyes..."

A panicked young man - likely another student - rushes past the library door, then stops short and turns on his heel, eyes fixed on Peter. "Oh, thank God, there's somebody here... this man, he's hurt, he's..."

Panting, he pauses to steady himself against the doorframe. Every breath he takes is shaky, and he's sweating profusely.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Calm down! Calm down!
Peter replies, holding the student’s shoulders, trying to steady the man.
What happened? Who’s hurt?
Peter says as he turns to the Library’s door and outside, leaving the student to follow him
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

"I don't know, he's - his face is - Eliza's with him..." The man darts off as quickly as he rushed in, heading out into the courtyard.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

ooc,Eliza - do I know her?
Peter follows the student to the courtyard to see what is happening.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The name doesn't ring a bell. She's probably somebody the student knows.

He runs out and heads around the building, back behind the Department of Physics.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Peter follows the student.

Is it dark outside or noon time?
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

OOC,The morning sun makes all things clear.
As they draw closer, Peter can hear a sobbing, screaming woman. The student tenses visibly, but doesn't stop running. "Oh, God, Eliza..."

Up ahead, a door flies open, and an older man rushes out, heading in the direction of the commotion.

When they reach the source - a young woman, probably Eliza, and two men near the window - the student sprints ahead of Peter and the newcomer.

"Eliza," he yells, throwing an arm around her shoulders and pulling her off to the side. "God, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have..."

One of the men by the window is unfamiliar. He stands there, sandy hair hanging in front of his face, muttering something inaudible. The other is someone Peter vaguely recognizes - the custodian? He has a tight hold on the murmuring man's arm.

Someone else is running to the scene, but before Peter can tell anything about them, the unfamiliar man turns around.
Peter,Please move to the following thread: [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=3194]Perception[/url]
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The library is empty as ever when Peter walks in.

Nobody by the last name of Farr is anywhere in the records - maybe another faculty member would know him? What could he want with the University?
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I wonder if Professor Henry Armitage, The head librarian at Miskatonic University, can spare some information.
Peter thinks to himself
There are tales about the professor ... he can be the correct man to ask.
Peter wonders around, leaving the cart of book half full, trying to find the professor.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Professor Armitage, elusive and strange as he is, isn't so hard to find. His nose is buried in some thick, door-stopping book, but when Peter approaches, he looks up with a glimmer in his eyes.

"Mr. Walton, hello. Something you need?"
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Yes Professor, a moment of your time please.
Peter says and apologizes as he approaches the man.
There was an incidence before, outside with a lunatic that was directed to the local sanitarium but and chased by the orderlies and the cops. The man was blind since he himself took his eyes off but somehow was able to see things. He muttered something about a star and he was called by one of the orderlies Mr. Farr.
I must say professor that is was strange and freaking.

Peter says, clearly still disturbed by the scene
Have you heard about someone named Farr?
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

"You can't mean Michael Farr?" He furrows his brow, snapping the book shut and folding his hands on the desk. "He's an amateur astronomer. We were acquainted, before he separated from his wife. I can't imagine him doing something so... ghastly, though. Perhaps he was a little odd, but he had his head on straight."

"However, Mr. Walton, he is the only Farr man I know of."
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Michael Farr... astronomer ... could be, could be.
Peter replies, rolling the name on his tongue.
Thank you professor, apologies for my disturbance.
With that Peter, goes back to the library, now he will search papers and other references about the man.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

It's unlikely that Mr. Farr would be in any texts, as Professor Witherspoon said he'd never heard of him.
Peter,Roll Spot Hidden.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Spot Hidden (1d100=11) - Success.

Hmmm, what's that ?
Peter says to himself
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

In searching the astronomy texts, Peter finds nothing relating to Mr. Farr. However, as he is giving up, he stumbles across a stray copy of this morning's newspaper--and an article that seems too relevant to be coincidental.

Disturbance in Southside

Residents in the Simpson Apartments in Arkham's Southside were last night awakened by what witnesses describe as horrid and unholy screeching. The source of these deranged sounds of screaming was apparently Apartment 5, rented by a reclusive man in his mid twenties. Once police had been called, and a locksmith employed to open the fastened door, a horrible scene was discovered. While the specifics of the bloody scene are unsuitable for publication in a reputable newspaper, it is sufficient to say that the man had apparently lost control of his senses and hideously blinded and mutilated himself. He was taken into custody to protect him against further insane actions against his person.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Perhaps this is the man I saw outside?

Peter thinks to himself. He start to be Enthusiastic as he thinks about a possible investigation, a sherlock holmes type of investigation like he read in the books that are placed in the library he is working in ... and he did planed to travel to southside. The historical society building in located in Southside and he planned to search for numerous documents for his personal interest.
I'm off for today. I have several things to take care of
Peter says to the librarian and goes outside. He jumps no his bicycle and begin to ride to Southside.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The ride is breezy and mostly uninterrupted, though the further Peter gets from the University, the more potholes crop up in the road. Over the years, much of Southside has been neglected and has fallen into a state of disrepair and decay.

The Historical Society building, at least, is in relatively good shape. It towers before Peter and gleams in the midmorning sun. Whatever Peter is looking for, he's likely to find it here.

As he enters the building, the curator--an amiable-looking man of middle age--nods at him.

Return to “In a Different Light”