IC: In Crumbling Pages [Peter Walton/Jacob Vrees]

There are things that exist outside the range of human perceptions; things known only to those terrible beings who dwell between the stars and beneath the earth. We have always passed by them without notice. They have always extended us the same courtesy. And those unfortunate few who have seen, and have been seen? We call them mad.

But they have merely awakened a higher form of sight.

It is the Spring of 1928 in Arkham. And people all over Southside are waking up, setting the stage for the rise of an ancient power.

Moderator: Kadael

Captain Impossible
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Re: IC: In Crumbling Pages [Peter Walton/Jacob Vrees]

Post by Captain Impossible »

"I'd be very interested to hear what your research has uncovered, Mr. Walton," Dutch says as he shakes the librarian's hand. "As well as a few other things." The detective isn't quite sure what to make of the man and his forthright offer. Part of him wants to read the riot act to Walton for walking into a crime scene, not to mention what Dutch presumes to be the missing journal in his hands. However, the detective is probably going to need an academic if he is to figure out what stars have to do with the case, and throwing the librarian in the pen is likely to shut a lot of doors at the university. Dutch decides to take a chance. "Did you come here on foot? I can give you a lift if you need it."
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

I was quite disturbed by the scene in the university and I asked the scholars in the library if they ever heard about an astronomer named Mr. Farr. Somehow I managed to find an article about the man and his living place.
Peter replies
I had some business in this part of Arkham, I had to bring some personal notes from the historical society down the road so I rode my bicycle and decided to drop by and play Sherlock a little bit as I am a big fan. I asked some questions and found that he might saw something in his telescope that made him hurt himself. I wrote down the coordinates of the telescope, found out that he saw something around 3:00 AM and found Mr. Farr astronomy notes in that notebook.
Peter hands the notebook to Dutch.
One of the men that clean the apartment said something that troubled me ... he said Mr. Farr ate his eyes, is it true detective ? I wonder what he saw in the telescope, check the last pages.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Kadael »

The last entry in the book,Much of the last entry (including the date) has been obscured by dried blood, and towards the end, the handwriting becomes increasingly chaotic and illegible: [i]...clouding over. Better skip looking at Pleiades, go straight to Saturn rings. I wish those lights would be switched off... can't see a damned thing with all that light streaming in. Wish to blazes they'd never put them in! (10:00 pm) Must be getting tired. Just saw strange geometric hallucination. Take a rest then resume, get some fresh air! Must be working too hard... ha ha! (12:00 am) Still looking at those beautiful rings--God, I fall in love every time I see the blasted things! Saw a shadow of a moon across the rings. (12:15 am) Another wretched hallucination... really, what's wrong with me tonight. Must remember to buy a new brand of cocoa next time. NOOO[b]OOOOO![/b] After me! Coming... now. [b]STOP!![/b] Evil putty jelly... Close my eyes! Yes! Yellow! Yellow! [b]But red in the middle! Go AWAY![/b] There is only one way! [b]NO!![/b][/i]
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Captain Impossible
Initiate
Initiate

Dutch reads the last blood-stained pages. "Unfortunately, I'm not an astronomer and I'm not a head doctor," he says to Peter. "I can't make heads or tails of it. As for the eyes, I couldn't say." The detective thinks for a minute. "Mr. Walton, how well do you know the faculty at Miskatonic University?"
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I'm working part time as a librarian in the university as I need to pay tuition. I'm doing my M.A in the department of foreign languages, trying to decipher old tomes and scrolls from Asia that were written in Arabic and Chinese. I'm not into sciences but I had an observation night with Henry Witherspoon a professor of astronomy and physics in the past. Somehow we bumped one into each other in the library and I helped him to translate an old Chinese sky map . We can ask him for help if we want to repeat the observation Mr. Farr did.
Peter says.
And I have access to most of the books in the library, so much knowledge in one place.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Captain Impossible
Initiate
Initiate

Dutch listens to the man. "I believe Professor Witherspoon was also a witness to the incident at the university," he remarks. "Perhaps we should pay him a visit. I'll wager he's still at the university."
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I'll be happy to join you detective and ride with you if you have a place for my bicycle on your back seat.
Peter says
Captain Impossible
Initiate
Initiate

"Shouldn't be a problem," Dutch says as he opens the door to his Model A. He helps Peter load the bicycle before getting into the driver's seat.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Peter helps the detective and enters the car.
So ... how long you have been a detective and what's this case all about ?
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

OOC,If you guys are planning on entering the other thread with everybody else, I need to wait for it to catch up with an important development. Feel free to carry on chatting while you drive. If you want to hit the University but not talk to the others yet, say the word and I'll put you there. I am assuming you are doing the former.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

OOC:   The idea was to connect ourselves with the others, that is why I suggested we speak to Prof. Witherspoon about the astronomy observation. I was thinking of speaking with the Prof. Witherspoon right away.  
Captain Impossible
Initiate
Initiate

"Five years as a detective," Dutch says as he starts the car. "Before that, five years as a patrolman. As for the case, right now it's just another story of a lunatic. That and a hunch there's more to it. Speaking of which, what happened between you and the cleaners back in the apartment?"
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Not much. They cleaned the room while I was checking the telescope and notebook. Not sure what happened, but one of them freaked me out with a wierd voice and I felt an urge to leave, so I left and waited in the street
Peter replies
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

As Dutch is coming up on the University, he catches a glimpse of everybody in the same place he left them, behind the Physics Department.
Peter and Dutch,Park the car and move to the following thread: [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=3194&p=157361#p157361]Perception[/url] Do not read any posts above the one you have been linked to.

Return to “In a Different Light”