IC: A View of the Water [Jean Ross]

There are things that exist outside the range of human perceptions; things known only to those terrible beings who dwell between the stars and beneath the earth. We have always passed by them without notice. They have always extended us the same courtesy. And those unfortunate few who have seen, and have been seen? We call them mad.

But they have merely awakened a higher form of sight.

It is the Spring of 1928 in Arkham. And people all over Southside are waking up, setting the stage for the rise of an ancient power.

Moderator: Kadael

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

IC: A View of the Water [Jean Ross]

Post by Kadael »

The Miskatonic River: a wide, dark slash cutting its way through Arkham. River Street's obvious namesake. A landmark, of sorts.

It's not the prettiest view from an apartment window, but it's a view nonetheless. And on this spring morning, the water could almost sparkle in the sun. Maybe today will be a good day for some leisure time. Now's the time to wake up and see.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: IC: A View of the Water [Jean Ross]

Post by Tabs »

Jean Ross, standing in her apartment before the view of the Miskatonic River, barefooted, and dressed only in cotton pyjamas and a man's trench coat, absorbs the morning sun: the warmth upon her forehead is luxurious; she closes her eyes, not thinking, just feeling.

She extinguishes the blue flame of the bunsen burner by closing the cylinder at its base, and pours the bubbling water from the glass beaker--that was sat above the heat--into her caffetiere.

The mug of coffee scolds her palm, so Jean tentatively sips at its brim, and draws the notepad closer to herself.

Dear Mother, today is a good day in Arkham. I'm sat at my breakfast table as I write this letter to you, drinking a cup of Indian tea--Father would be proud! . . .
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

A crow flies past, a shadow flickering across the room. People go about their daily businesses, barely noticeable.

The paper should be here soon, if not now.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Jean peers from her apartment, one hand holding open the blinds at the sash window and the other gripping the mug of coffee: is the newsboy's bicycle down below?
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The newsboy comes riding up the street, along the river, papers in tow.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Jean searches for her canvas deck shoes which she kicked off the night before, and finds them under the bed. Unlocking the latch and opening the door to her apartment, and leaving the door ajar--so that she doesn't disturb Mrs. Winkleman--she lightly steps down the stairs.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The paperboy comes to a not-at-all-slow stop, hops off his bicycle, and grabs a few papers for the residents before skipping up the steps.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Kadael wrote:The paperboy comes to a not-at-all-slow stop . . .
"Impressive!"

"I'll take those papers upstairs, if you like . . ."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

With a toothy grin, he tips his hat and hands the papers off. "Thanks, miss!"

Not wasting a moment, the newsboy runs down the stairs and gets right back on his bicycle. "I gotta ankle, and you should too - some awful queer stuff's happening today. Saw a man try to run into the college without using a door, and this girl was screaming real loud about it. Think they were both a bit off."

Despite his insistence on leaving, he doesn't seem to be going anywhere. He averts his eyes and rubs the back of his neck, as if he's just realized this.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"You do look a bit shaken. Perhaps what you say is true?" Jean laughs. "You drank too much sasparilla soda last night, I reckon!"

"Want some water?"
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

"It's true, I saw it, I rode right past it!" The boy frowns, his eyebrows knotting in indignation. Then he looks at Jean again, and softens perceptibly.

"Sure. I can't take too long, though. People get mad when their paper's late."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Okay.

"Come on up."

In her apartment Jean runs the fawcett, rinses a glass, fills it, and hands the glass to the newsboy.

"' . . . a man try to run into the college without using a door . . . ': what does that mean?"
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

"Means he was just running into one of the windows, like he didn't even know there was a door." The newsboy takes a gulp of water and shrugs.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I'm going to wander over to the university, and see for myself what's going down.

"Right, time you went."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

The boy frowns and sets the empty glass down. "Okay, but like I said, it was awful queer." He shuffles his feet and runs a hand through his scruffy hair. "Don't want a nice lady like you getting in trouble."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Thanks.

"I'm not such a nice lady--it's hard being good."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

"Well, you're nice enough to me." He beams up at her, then turns to leave, putting his newsboy cap squarely on his head. "Goodbye for now, miss. Maybe I'll see you next delivery?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Sure! take care on that bicycle."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jean delivers her neighbours' papers; gets dressed; and leaves her apartment, heading for the university. She'll buy a breakfast pancake on the way.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

As Jean makes her way down the street, she can see something of a crowd outside one of the University buildings. Six or seven people, at least.

The harsh shriek of a police whistle sounds. Three officers are heading straight for the gathering.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Jean joins the back of the crowd. She says to no one in particular:

"I heard someone went crazy--what's happening now?"

Return to “In a Different Light”